Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

One Direction's Liam Payne Showing His Ass

Hot on the heels of his Hugo Boss bulge pic, we have this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418August 12, 2019 1:09 PM

spam posted by ip address 5.226.139.164 removed.

by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2019 12:52 AM

I am always in favor of nudity by hot young guys.

by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2019 12:53 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 11, 2019 12:56 AM

Can you post a pick of the bulge ?

by Anonymousreply 4July 11, 2019 1:05 AM

He is a lot hotter than the one that is supposed to be hot (Harry?) whose appeal I never quite got.

by Anonymousreply 5July 11, 2019 1:07 AM

The hot ones are Liam and Zayn... well, not strung out looking Zayn. Harry's not attractive to me at all.

by Anonymousreply 6July 11, 2019 1:15 AM

I couldn't have picked him out of a line up honestly, who knew he was so hot.

by Anonymousreply 7July 11, 2019 1:18 AM

So when talent fails you. Show your ass.

by Anonymousreply 8July 11, 2019 1:20 AM

Nice looking guy. Who is he?

by Anonymousreply 9July 11, 2019 1:20 AM

The tatts are off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 10July 11, 2019 1:23 AM

Is Harry the one that looks like one of those troll dolls with the crazy hair? Which is the one that flips out like Tom Cruise whenever anyone suggests he might not be straight?

by Anonymousreply 11July 11, 2019 1:29 AM

Here's the bulge pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 11, 2019 1:33 AM

R11, Louis Tomlinson is the one who flips if people suggest he's gay.

by Anonymousreply 13July 11, 2019 1:36 AM

Hmmmm not bad.

by Anonymousreply 14July 11, 2019 1:36 AM

Whoever is posting to that is truly unhinged - which one of you bitches is my mother.

by Anonymousreply 15July 11, 2019 1:41 AM

R15, calm down. These pics are pretty tame. He's a nice looking guy.

by Anonymousreply 16July 11, 2019 1:43 AM

Sexy

by Anonymousreply 17July 11, 2019 2:03 AM

Harry Styles looks okay these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 11, 2019 2:06 AM

[quote]Louis Tomlinson is the one who flips

Mmmm, who doesn't love a lad who flips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 11, 2019 2:13 AM

[quote][R15], calm down. These pics are pretty tame. He's a nice looking guy.

Whose a nice looking guy? I'm talking about the unhinged guy who is posting all that crazy.

It's not the pix - it's the crazy accompanying some of the pix, like the crazy about Liam Payne posing for paps or the totally crazy rants about Niall Horan getting fat.

Read a few of the other posts. He really has a hardon for the other One Direction guys. You'd think he was a DL poster discussing Cavill, tattoos, RM & BF, pitbulls, and circumcision all in a single cataclysmic thread - the kind if they were to announce they were closing DL, and it was his last chance to air all his grievances.

by Anonymousreply 20July 11, 2019 2:14 AM

^^ that would be "who's"

by Anonymousreply 21July 11, 2019 2:28 AM

R20, do you mean the rest of the blog? Nobody cares about that. This thread is about Liam's ass.

The Sun weighed in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 11, 2019 3:18 AM

Liam doesn't have shoulders or a neck.

by Anonymousreply 23July 11, 2019 3:34 AM

His ass looks tiny.

Not impressed. Niall Horan has a fat ass these days.

by Anonymousreply 24July 11, 2019 3:36 AM

He looks like Justin Bieber, expanding cranium and all.

by Anonymousreply 25July 11, 2019 3:37 AM

Must be looking for a comeback. Gotta appeal to the gays.

by Anonymousreply 26July 11, 2019 4:33 AM

Gonna go max DL here.

Harry reminds me of my first ex, who was an acquired taste that I only ever partially (though persistently) acquired. He's neither objectively nor personally attractive to me, but there's still 'something' always there.

Liam is the most plain while most hot about it. He bloats up to being less than nothing special, but when he tries he can be the hottest of the bunch. Waiting for the stretch that sets him down a permanently homely road though. He's also the one I most truly would bet on being gay or bi too. Sometimes its the one you just *don't* expect.

Niall had it going on, but it was mostly the youth talking. Add even a bit of age and adult responsibility, and he crumbles in looks. Same with Louis. They're not ugly, they're just not naturals. So many peak in attractiveness in their teens and never get the mojo back.

Zayn is the absolute best, when not strung out. Too bad he gets strung out and ruins his looks, possibly intentionally.

None of them do so well off their leashes and with more opportunity to laze about.

But to be honest, they mostly don't need to. They rich, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 27July 11, 2019 4:39 AM

He tends to wear his clothing loose. This is probably why we never noticed his body is so nice.

His back is very sexy.

by Anonymousreply 28July 11, 2019 5:03 AM

Niall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 11, 2019 6:14 AM

Looking good Liam !

by Anonymousreply 30July 11, 2019 7:35 AM

r20" I'm talking about the unhinged guy who is posting all that crazy.

It's not the pix - it's the crazy accompanying some of the pix, like the crazy about Liam Payne posing for paps or the totally crazy rants about Niall Horan getting fat."

All that shit gets really old, fast.

by Anonymousreply 31July 11, 2019 7:38 AM

hideous

by Anonymousreply 32July 11, 2019 7:39 AM

Who is hideous, R32?

by Anonymousreply 33July 11, 2019 7:41 AM

Fashiony Liam:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 11, 2019 5:05 PM

I like OP's photo, but do not find this guy generally attractive.

by Anonymousreply 35July 11, 2019 5:06 PM

New Face of HUGO:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 11, 2019 5:11 PM

The way he has his birth year tattooed on his underarm (1993) and his initials on his hand is trashy.

by Anonymousreply 37July 11, 2019 5:49 PM

Niall’s the only fuckable one, even at his current heftier weight.

by Anonymousreply 38July 11, 2019 5:57 PM

Liam was the first of the bunch who looked remotely adult - he already had a beard and some muscles, while the others still looked like a bunch of kids. He's a good looking guy, but like R37 said, he's somewhat trashy.

Niall is like the contrary, maybe not the strictly hottest of the bunch, but easily the most likeable and well adjusted one. Louis always had a very pretty face, but peaked in his late teen years, but he looks a bit rough by now. Harry is one of these people you have to see in motion to get him, I think. He was always a bit odd looking and that weird hair that looked like he got into an electrical circuit didn't do him any favours. But now as grown up, with the right hair cut, he does exude a certain charm. But as I said, it's in interviews and live performances, not in photos.

Zayn will forever be the prettiest of the bunch. His face is just really aesthetically pleasing. If he wasn't tiny he could be a model. However Zayn is Zayn, this guy has more issues than vogue.

by Anonymousreply 39July 11, 2019 6:24 PM

Agree that Harry does look better when animated, on video. He has a thin face and that is always photogenic, but in still photos you can see his lazy eye. He also has a really unflattering faint moustache which just draws attention to the big gap between his nose and mouth. His hairline is very high, but he insists on slicking back his hair, which makes it looks worse. He looked at his best in 2012, with a fringe to hide his huge forehead.

Liam is the best looking but in a very generic way. There are thousands of similar guys with brown eyes and hair. Niall looked very good until a couple of years ago. He has a double chin now in a lot of his pictures.

Zayn does have a beautiful face but he is so low key now that he's practically invisible. He is also super skinny, maybe only 130lbs. Louis peaked around 2015. He needs an op to correct his baggy, hooded eyes.

by Anonymousreply 40July 11, 2019 6:35 PM

R40 idk... Harry looked like 12 years old in 2012, he was just a little kid.

Nowadays he looks like a mixture between young Leo DiCaprio and River Phoenix to me (more River than Leo though).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 11, 2019 6:40 PM

Nice butt Liam.

by Anonymousreply 42July 11, 2019 9:46 PM

Harry's eyes are a crazy cool colour.

The other 1d thread has been locked, so I suggest we move here to discuss the 1d boys.

by Anonymousreply 43July 12, 2019 7:32 AM

R43 If we can't behave, they will lock this one also.

by Anonymousreply 44July 12, 2019 7:46 AM

R44, it was blocked for frau-ism, not for behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 45July 12, 2019 7:49 AM

The fraus aren't the only ones causing problems.

by Anonymousreply 46July 12, 2019 7:54 AM

Why did the old thread get locked? Nothing too crazy going on in there at the end. At least by DL standards...

by Anonymousreply 47July 12, 2019 8:14 AM

Probably troll infestation

by Anonymousreply 48July 12, 2019 8:21 AM

Hole please

by Anonymousreply 49July 12, 2019 8:31 AM

Suit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 12, 2019 8:56 AM

[quote]Here's the bulge pic.

Liam said in an interview that he's uncut, which is probably a dealbreaker for most DLers.

by Anonymousreply 51July 12, 2019 9:19 AM

All the 1d men are uncut. That won't stop the poster obsessed with 'beautiful' Niall Horan.

by Anonymousreply 52July 12, 2019 9:29 AM

And here it goes.

by Anonymousreply 53July 12, 2019 9:32 AM

R52, Zayn is reported to be circumcised, since his father is Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 54July 12, 2019 10:14 AM

Rare gif of Zayn's tiny bulge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 12, 2019 10:24 AM

Harry's bulge in profile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 12, 2019 10:27 AM

Niall's bulge in white underwear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 12, 2019 10:31 AM

Louis' dick bouncing around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 12, 2019 10:35 AM

Zayn has tiny dick syndrome. There was another pic of him in white underpants on another thread.

Liam is coming under increasing pressure to cancel his appearance at a festival in Saudi Arabia. Nicki Minaj already cancelled but he is holding out.

by Anonymousreply 59July 12, 2019 8:09 PM

R51 Who the hell asks people in interviews if they are cut or uncut? Damn... Anyway, am European, have no problem at all with uncut dick.

by Anonymousreply 60July 12, 2019 9:21 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 12, 2019 10:22 PM

Ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 62July 12, 2019 10:24 PM

Speaking of asses, Harry’s is beautiful...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 13, 2019 2:57 AM

Thanks for posting that, R61.

R62, where have you been? This isn't the 1950's. Male celebs regularly get asked the cut/uncut question.

On another thread you can find an interview with Chelsea Handler where she got Alex Pettyfer to reveal he is circumcised.

by Anonymousreply 64July 13, 2019 3:05 AM

R64 They were kids .

by Anonymousreply 65July 13, 2019 3:21 AM

It's nobody's business? Just imagine if a similar question were asked of female celebrities, people would should sexism faster than anyone could blink.

by Anonymousreply 66July 13, 2019 5:22 AM

*shout

by Anonymousreply 67July 13, 2019 5:23 AM

R66 Exactly. Who the hell cares. That's all an interviewer can think to ask someone ? Jesus, get a new job. Not trendy, relevant, just stupid.

Chelsea, ugh. loser.

by Anonymousreply 68July 13, 2019 5:29 AM

Male celebs are asked all the time.

Here's Chelsea Handler asking Alex Pettyfer if he's circumcised:

Go to the 20:00 minute mark:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 13, 2019 5:31 AM

The only place male celebs get asked all the time is here on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 70July 13, 2019 5:42 AM

Joan Rivers to figure skater Johnny Weir: Are you circumcised?

Go to the 3:00 minute mark:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71July 13, 2019 5:46 AM

Just because it happened multiple times, it doesn't make it right?

It also happened multiple times that paparazzi chased a celebrity to the point of a car accident and nobody would say that's okay, because it happened before.

by Anonymousreply 72July 13, 2019 6:31 AM

I wonder if there will be anymore ass pics from that photoshoot Liam did.

by Anonymousreply 73July 13, 2019 6:32 AM

Where is everyone of the boys right now, or rather: what are they doing? It seems a bit quiet at the moment?

Liam is apparently busy with the Hugo Boss campaign and being sexy for the camera, but is he also working on new music or an album?

Louis said a few weeks ago on the Late Late Show that he wants to go on tour, which I think is interesting, because it means two things: a) his album has to come out before that, because without songs no tour b) there won't be a 1D reunion in 2020 (which I didn't find very likely anyway, but still)

Niall's plans look quite promising so far, he has said in Harper's Bazaar that he's finishing his second album and he also teased his followers on twitter about a new single afaik. So I guess he'll tour in 2020 as well?

And of course people are waiting for Harry's second album, who doesn't say much about it, but apparently there are these bits and pieces that make it seem like it's already (mostly?) recorded, like him working with Mark Ronson or Liam Gallagher saying he heard the new stuff. And I don't think we have any more info? Also I think he kind of vanished a week ago, which is a bit of a feat considering that paps and fans seem to track his every movement.

If Louis, Niall and Harry will all release their albums this year, I wonder if this would be disadvantageous. I reckon a lot of people buying their albums are former 1D fans, so they might exhaust their fan base a bit, if they have to buy 3 albums in a few months. And tickets for 3 tours next year. And that's me already disregarding Liam and Zayn completely. Or maybe it wouldn't matter because they all have found different genres? I feel like Niall's and Harry's fanbases have the most musical overlap and they are also the most likely to be both nominated for music awards (because even if Louis surprises everyone with his new stuff, it will still be his debut and therefore probably not nominated in the same categories as Niall and Harry).

Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 74July 13, 2019 7:45 AM

I think Harry might do something dramatic like drop a visual album out of nowhere. Niall's album is definitely finished and he's said he will tour in 2020.

Louis' album is always coming 'soon' and has been since 2017. If he tours, he'll need to book small venues, as a lot of his fanbase has picked up and left. Every time he talks about El or Freddie in an interview, some more fans cancel him forever.

Liam has one job: pull out of next week's Saudi gig. Even the Human Rights Foundation is begging him to cancel. He will look callous and mercenary if he still performs.

by Anonymousreply 75July 13, 2019 8:26 AM

I mean...I wouldn't kick him out of bed, but....eh.

by Anonymousreply 76July 13, 2019 9:03 AM

[quote Every time he talks about El or Freddie in an interview, some more fans cancel him forever.]

Wow, that's just sad. I sometimes wonder why there is this weird divide in the fanbase, where someone like Harry can seemingly get away with whatever he wants and the fans still love him, but Louis gets shit for perfectly normal stuff like having a relationship or a kid. I also doubt Niall's fans would act like that? Don't get me wrong, I really really like Harry, but all the boys of 1D had their own ardent fans, so it's sad if some guys seem to have gotten the more unhinged ones.

For some reason I don't think Liam will cancel SA. He really isn't the best at decision-making...

by Anonymousreply 77July 13, 2019 9:13 AM

Niall's stans are happy with him being straight, so they're chill about his girlfriends too. Most of Louis' nutter fanbase think he's gay and closeted, and are full of hatred for his beard and fake baby. Harry doesn't ever talk about/get papped with his gfs, so his fans can pretend they don't exist or are fine with him being bi/no labels.

by Anonymousreply 78July 13, 2019 9:52 AM

Louis seemed gay as hell to me when they were hot.

by Anonymousreply 79July 13, 2019 10:04 AM

Louis had a high Doncaster accent which made people think he was a squeaky twink, but he's just a chavvy guy who likes smoking in public. He's been with his current partner for six years total. Met her in 2011.

by Anonymousreply 80July 13, 2019 10:52 AM

Louis is still very good looking. Sadly, he just doesn't care anymore. Saw his selfies with fans after the Late Late Show, he was clean shaven, smiling, and it astonishes me how young he looks. It's like a completely different person when he has facial hair. Sometimes he looked borderline homeless.

He just needs a shave, a great haircut, with nice clothes and he's ready to go. If he wants a more mature look, something like this again would be nice. He looks amazing in that whole video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 13, 2019 4:05 PM

Louis has never been good looking.

by Anonymousreply 82July 13, 2019 4:10 PM

What a Gent:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 13, 2019 6:49 PM

He looks like a cute short brit.

by Anonymousreply 84July 13, 2019 6:59 PM

R83 I mean, great for Cheryl that she got some stuff she seems to like? But the fact that this is apparently newsworthy, that Liam sends a bunch of freebies to his ex, I don't know, it makes him look like this is the best thing he's done so far, which is not exactly huge lol.

R81 I think Louis can be quite handsome and I like the raspy quality in his voice as well as his quick comebacks and such, but I'm not a huge fan of the hair in that video. His hair - like that of nearly all 1D boys - was generally always a bit over the top, too high, too much fringe, too "tousled"... I think one of the main benefits of Harry growing his hair out in 2014 was that it couldn't be styled anymore to look like a Disney channel teenage boy's hair. It set him apart and paved the way for him to create his slightly different signature look, which made him recognisable.

Speaking of styling Harry, here's a first look of the new Gucci perfume campaign. Not much to see yet, but the expected flowery shirts and flared trousers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 13, 2019 10:35 PM

Were Harry and Nick Grimshaw actually a couple? Grimshaw has been showing off a bf recently that's quite a lot younger and much more conventionally good looking than Grimmy.

by Anonymousreply 86July 13, 2019 11:04 PM

R86 I don't think so. They met in late 2011, possibly through Caroline Flack, who is a friend of Grimmy afaik and who was having a fling with young Harry at the time. So unless you think that 17 year old Harry slept with both Caroline and Grimmy at the same time, it's rather unlikely due to timelines alone. Also Grimmy's boyfriends - no matter their age - all look like trim and fit adults, while Harry looked like a 15 year old gangly teenager, so I'm not sure Grimmy is into that super young puppy look.

They've also both always denied that there ever was anything other than a friendship and - most importantly - they seem to have been pretty close friends for all these years. If you have a relationship or something like that and break up, there's usually some resentment or at least a time, when you avoid each other.

Personally I think Harry is fairly straight anyway, so the possibility of them as a couple probably wasn't ever something that came up between them.

by Anonymousreply 87July 13, 2019 11:58 PM

I think Louis and Liam did make a contribution on songwriting in 1D songs, though I'm sure the actual songwriters helped even more.

Didn't Louis get into a fight with Savan Kotecha (one of 1D's songwriter)? Savan didn't say a specific name, but in a podcast with Ross Golan, Savan said there was a member who became the loudest voice in the group because that member is not happy in the direction they were going and wanted to be more involved. Savan said the member is not the talented one, not the singer, and not the star. Because of this, iirc, Savan doesn't work with them on 1D album anymore.

by Anonymousreply 88July 14, 2019 12:29 AM

Hmm, was Saven saying only one is talented?

by Anonymousreply 89July 14, 2019 12:34 AM

Where’s the hole?

by Anonymousreply 90July 14, 2019 12:35 AM

I saw one performance by Liam - It thin it was at something billed as "Ball". It was embarassing, sub-"I'm street, yo" crap. I've heard all the One Direction guys sing and none of them jump out as great. Zayn's "Whole New World" cover - talk about a sellout. The moody crack den dweller was abandoned for one song, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 91July 14, 2019 12:36 AM

R89 I just looked up the podcast, because I've never heard of it before (very interesting, thank you R88 !) and yeah, he kind of applies these monikers to describe the boys, similarly like they had this whole "the funny one, the flirty one, the mysterious one" thing going on to describe themselves in the beginning, but I think it's more like a description of their most notable characteristics. Because I guess he means Harry with "the star" in this, but he clearly thinks highly of Harry as a songwriter too (he says so a few times in the podcast) and also calls him "someone who understands the music business". So I doubt he thinks of Harry as "untalented", just that "the talented one" had talent as a most defining trait.

I find it interesting that Kotecha, who worked with 1D during such an early stage, when the boys were still so young, already said that Harry understands the music business. I have to say when I watch old videos and interviews there have been a few instances, where I noticed that Harry already seemed to have a fairly good grasp on making the right comments and moves, networking and such, while the other boys seemed a bit oblivious.

by Anonymousreply 92July 14, 2019 1:45 AM

Then who is the talented one? Zayn?

by Anonymousreply 93July 14, 2019 1:48 AM

I'm not sure tbh... People seem to think that Liam is the talented one and Zayn the singer, but I'm not so sure about that. Liam was kind of known for being the best vocalist of the boys at the beginning of 1D, that's why he started most of the songs. And Zayn could be the talented one, because by the time the podcast happened, he already had his solo music out. But Kotecha also said: "I haven’t heard Zayn’s solo stuff but I’ve heard it’s really good", so not sure he'd call him the talented one on hearsay only?

Considering that back then Niall was the only one who could play an instrument fairly well, there's also the odd chance he meant Niall, but I don't really think so. He was the one that usually got forgotten the most in 1D, especially in the early days, which I think makes his solo career now especially nice.

by Anonymousreply 94July 14, 2019 1:53 AM

More Harry from the Gucci perfume campaign:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 14, 2019 1:54 AM

If anyone is interested, here's a transcript of the podcast with Savan Kotecha. He's like "it's fine, I'm not bitter" while still being bitter haha. And apparently he's one of the people, who were glamoured by Harry.

But I find it very interesting that he's basically saying under all the bitterness that if Louis wouldn't have butted heads with him, One Direction would have continued to sound - to put it in Zayn's words - "generic as fuck". I'm not saying that the band ever not sounded like the easy going pop act they are, but there's a certain progress and development in the albums noticeable, that apparently they wouldn't have had with Kotecha, because he continued to think of them as a not very credible manufactured boy band, who is supposed to hate their own music. Of course there's some truth to it, but it's quite limiting. So basically Louis did for the boys a hell of a good thing imho.

I wonder if that one quote about him in the infamous The Sun article about the fractures within 1D also refers to him and Kotecha: [quote] A source at music giant Sony said: “Frankly, Louis is a little s*** who’s managed to annoy a lot of people over the last couple of years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 14, 2019 2:29 AM

(how can you quote stuff? sorry, I suck at this)

by Anonymousreply 97July 14, 2019 2:29 AM

You type the word Quote and put square brackets either side of it. Then paste the text you want after that. If it's multiple paragraphs, you'll need to put a fresh {Quote} after each line break.

[Quote] Paragraph 1

[Quote] Paragraph 2

by Anonymousreply 98July 14, 2019 2:38 AM

Louis is a mess who pissed off a lot of industry people and honestly, I love it. It's very amusing to me and I actually like him more because of it. Anyone remember him wrestling with the paparazzi? Iconic lol.

And don't forget "You don't really care, you just want your picture." and "THAT'S YOUR JOB, YOU FOOKING LOOSAH."

by Anonymousreply 99July 14, 2019 3:22 AM

'Savan said the member is not the talented one, not the singer, and not the star. Because of this, iirc, Savan doesn't work with them on 1D album anymore.'

Singer = Zayn or Liam Talented one = Liam or Zayn Star = Harry Annoying bossy one = Louis

by Anonymousreply 100July 14, 2019 7:18 AM

Louis is usually credited with turning the 1d sound around, making it more indie/rocky, but Harry very much wanted to go in that direction too, and had the voice for it. It's odd that none of Louis' solo singles except Miss You have been particularly rocky. Just Like You is almost like a Disney song.

I hope Harry has more rock songs on HS2 and fewer folky ones like Sweet Creature. His Rolling Stone photoshoot wearing eyeliner is intriguing.

by Anonymousreply 101July 14, 2019 7:25 AM

Arguably the best thing from that movie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 14, 2019 7:34 AM

Louis at Six Flags yesteday, looking cheerful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 14, 2019 7:41 AM

R102, Zayn has SO MANY great songs. It's a crying shame that we're unlikely to ever see him perform Pillowtalk, Let Me, DtD, Still Got Time, Like I Would, Entertainer and others.

by Anonymousreply 104July 14, 2019 7:43 AM

R100 And the forgotten one... whatshisname, Nile?

by Anonymousreply 105July 14, 2019 7:45 AM

Niall, R105...who ironically has made 9m in the last two years from two world tours and his album. He is the most successful after Harry, which nobody could have predicted in 2015.

by Anonymousreply 106July 14, 2019 8:00 AM

Louis in his most recent shoot. Hair thick and glossy, good clear cut jawline and strong chin and cheekbones. His eyes are so hooded now, though, that it adds decades to his age. A simple op would remove them and make his blue eyes pop again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 14, 2019 8:30 AM

R101 I agree with you, I think Louis voice would fit a rocky sound better. He doesn't have a huge range, but a rather high pitch and a slightly raspy quality to it, which is usually great in rock. He's not a great belter, but not everyone in rock has to be imho. The only thing I'm not sure about is his technique. I'm no expert, but I've read that he has a pretty bad vocal technique, that puts a lot of strain on his vocal cords and might lead to damage. Maybe rock songs would be even more taxing in that regard than the direction he's gone into?

Because vocal coaches also say Harry's technique is apparently awful as well, because he strains and pushes a lot, which will probably lead to nodes or scars on his vocal cords or even hemorrhaging (I think that happend to Adele, who had to have risky surgery?), which worries me a lot tbh. He already had the most problems with his voice during 1D, with him using all these inhalers, being put on vocal rest and such, coughing a lot in between talking and singing and always drinking water, probably because his throat constantly feels inflamed. If he's destroying his voice with the way he sings, that would suck so much. Makes me wanna go full crazy person, camp in front of his house and scream at him to get this sorted out with an amazing vocal coach lol.

Apart from that I have to say I enjoy both his folk and rock songs, I've listened a lot to both genres in the past 10-15 years, which is probably why I liked his debut album so much. And because I just mentioned it: I guess Sweet Creature is also easier on the voice than singing Kiwi three times in a row.

The folksy sound is also what I like about Niall's music. On the other hand I can't really get into Louis', Liam's and Zayn's stuff. Although I think Zayn's song about 1D (Good Years??) was quite good, but it was rather ballady and ironically I can even imagine this one on the later 1D albums with slightly different instrumentation.

by Anonymousreply 108July 14, 2019 8:50 AM

R107 Louis has a good facial structure and lovely blue eyes, but I think he looks somewhat tired in recent years and that's not so much the hooded eyes, but he often seems pale and have some dark circles. It might be just genetics and/or ageing, but in that case he should probably take extra care of his health, dial back the partying and stop smoking ffs. Smoking never makes you look any better and it's horrible for singers.

But considering how much Zayn "cares" for his health, I guess Louis with his smoking isn't the worst of the bunch.

by Anonymousreply 109July 14, 2019 8:58 AM

Louis' heavy smoking has definitely damaged his voice. He lacks stamina and seemed a bit out of breath after singing two songs at his solo concerts. The way he glamorizes smoking in his photoshoots sends the wrong message to his fans, esp as both his parents developed Stage 4 cancer/leukaemia in their early 40s.

Harry needs to write songs which suit his voice so it isn't strained, like it was for SOTT, and so he doesn't need the female backing singers for the choruses.

by Anonymousreply 110July 14, 2019 9:06 AM

Niall is forgotten a lot but I guess it works for him? I think he benefits from the low expectations.

He seems the most sane to me, at least. No beef with anyone, no scandal, liked enough by the fandom and GP.

by Anonymousreply 111July 14, 2019 9:36 AM

Niall has himself a fine ass these days, too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 14, 2019 9:50 AM

R110 I really like the female background vocals! It sounds really beautiful and it's mostly for the live shows anyway, because he doesn't have a backing track unlike most pop artists nowadays, who basically sing along with the pre-recorded track that offers all the backing vocals they want and need.

I think the problem with his vocal technique is not limited to SOTT, otherwise he wouldn't have had already problems in 1D.

by Anonymousreply 113July 14, 2019 10:08 AM

Can't blame Louis for looking sad/tired, though. He's had a rough few years. Mother and stepfather's divorce, mother and sister's death, a lot of younger siblings who rely on him, and raising a son with an uncooperative baby mama.

by Anonymousreply 114July 14, 2019 10:34 AM

I think Niall will have a long, steady career. And, he's the most likable.

by Anonymousreply 115July 14, 2019 10:56 AM

Louis looks like Leonard Nimoy's bastard.

by Anonymousreply 116July 14, 2019 10:59 AM

R114 You're right, Louis had so much shit happening to him. And I wasn't blaming him for looking pale or tired (I mean, it also happens to people, who don't have to deal with what Louis is dealing with), just hoping he would take better care of himself and his health.

by Anonymousreply 117July 14, 2019 11:09 AM

Louis has been thru a lot. But he needs to take better care of himself.

by Anonymousreply 118July 14, 2019 4:33 PM

Sweet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119July 15, 2019 2:26 AM

Is Harry still in Toronto? Because the Gerbers don't seem to be in Muskoka... Presley is in NYC and the parents were on some wedding recently. So unless Harry is alone in Muskoka while they are elsewhere, he might have travelled there for another purpose?

by Anonymousreply 120July 16, 2019 12:30 AM

Harry has a stalker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121July 16, 2019 12:42 AM

:( Shit, I hope they put that nutter away and he has good security....

by Anonymousreply 122July 16, 2019 1:03 AM

He'll be torn apart by rabid Styles fraus.

by Anonymousreply 123July 16, 2019 1:29 AM

At least they are good for something.

by Anonymousreply 124July 16, 2019 2:40 AM

Mercenary Liam Payne still hasn't cancelled Thursday's concert in Saudi Arabia.

by Anonymousreply 125July 16, 2019 8:44 AM

Harry wont be playing Elvis.

by Anonymousreply 126July 16, 2019 4:40 PM

Harry wants to play Prince Eric in the live action Little Mermaid movie

by Anonymousreply 127July 17, 2019 2:17 AM

R127 What a nightmare... I truly hope it's a joke or a PR stunt by Disney. I mean, all the boys of 1D have done since their "hiatus" is trying to get taken seriously by the general public and not just obsessed teenage girls and kids. Harry especially has put out a rock album, loved showing his connection to Fleetwood Mac, runs around in Gucci wear a lot etc. And he has had his acting debut in a Christopher Nolan WW II film, which was quite a feat, I think. Not many people have their acting debut film nominated for a Best Film Oscar. I thought with such a director and impressive cast, he'll form some connections and have a really good starting point for his acting career.

And then he goes and becomes a fucking Disney prince in a probably sub-par live-action remake? Come on... That role is for a young actor, who wants to become famous and needs his name out there. But Harry is already famous, what he needs is a something to show he has grown up and can actually do a complex role. He might have started with a smaller role in a solid film by a good director with good actors - not become a pathetic Disney prince to ensure that all he'll ever be is the pretty boy that makes teenage girls completely gaga and their parents annoyed.

I liked this guy, because he makes good music, seemed fun and charming and with a fairly good head on his shoulders including a certain understanding of the industry. If this role choice is actually true, I both wonder what Jeff Azoff gets paid for and just how wrong I was with my assessment. This makes me seriously reconsider my stan status.

by Anonymousreply 128July 17, 2019 3:57 AM

I think this is all for PR. I really never thought he had a chance at the Elvis thing. Maybe he didn't even audition,,,but saying he did makes news.

by Anonymousreply 129July 17, 2019 5:48 AM

With Elvis I can believe it was just PR as there were a bunch of actors mentioned and also G-Eazy lol. But it really worries me that for Eric nobody else is mentioned and "in talks" or "negotiating" sounds a lot more serious than "auditioned for the role".

And all the stupid fangirls everywhere on twitter, tumblr etc. are already in hysterics because all they ever wanted out of life was Harry being their Disney prince. Now he'll never get away from this kind of fanbase. At least until he starts losing his baby faced handsomeness, then he'll just be another ageing former heartthrob. Maybe they'll let him compose some background music for Disney channel, when he runs out of money...

by Anonymousreply 130July 17, 2019 8:07 AM

R130 That's why he is still in early negotiations , he wants a deal that would include music writing credit. Ha. But we know he would have to split that 7 ways.

by Anonymousreply 131July 17, 2019 9:02 AM

I find it interesting that after not reading much about Harry since the Met Gala, we have several stories thrown at us all at once. Elvis audition, the stalker, he sold his LA house, Prince Eric, he bought another house in London and the Gucci crap. Something coming, but who knows what ?

by Anonymousreply 132July 17, 2019 9:13 AM

Looks like Harry is about to break out

by Anonymousreply 133July 17, 2019 9:44 AM

R132 and the Euphoria story. Meanwhile Harry continues to hide out on Th Gerbers private island.

by Anonymousreply 134July 17, 2019 10:00 AM

I'm amazed at how many in here really think some of these boys (other than Niall) are actually straight. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 135July 17, 2019 10:19 AM

R135 And some days I have my doubts about Niall.

by Anonymousreply 136July 17, 2019 10:38 AM

R134 Is he there? Because the Gerbers aren't in Canada.

I thought the first single of the upcoming second album might be due, that's why we get more publicity recently. He won't have done a photo shoot with Rolling Stone magazine for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 137July 17, 2019 2:19 PM

The fact that he's apparently playing Eric and has a mermaid tattoo on his forearm probably appeals to his weird liking of bad jokes, puns and questionable irony.

But Disney will probably cover all the tattos for the movie, which I find hilarious. The irony of casting someone with bad sailor tattoos in the role of a sailor only to cover the sailor tattoos up perfectly describes the carefully manufactured triteness this Disney movie will be.

And they can't really just leave them, because his mermaid is naked, complete with - gasp - nipples and crotch. Can't let the kids see this. And what will Disney do during promo? Keep him in long sleeves? Offer laser removal?

That this is even a thing shows how shizophrenic this career choice is. Who gets a bunch of "adult" tattoos only to stay mired in a G-rated fanbase?

by Anonymousreply 138July 17, 2019 5:30 PM

Dead Elvis has more charisma than Harry.

by Anonymousreply 139July 17, 2019 11:49 PM

He already has a huge older frau fanbase who all love the idea of him being a Disney Prince.

Disney or a romantic comedy was always on the cards for Harry. It's very on brand. Variety agrees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 18, 2019 2:23 AM

'I'm amazed at how many in here really think some of these boys (other than Niall) are actually straight. LOL!'

Yet another dumb Larrie. Louis has been in a relationship with the same girl since he was 19 and has a child with another. Liam has a kid and has had three long term relationships with women. Zayn has had two long term relationships with women. Zero evidence that they are lgbt.

by Anonymousreply 141July 18, 2019 2:32 AM

'That this is even a thing shows how shizophrenic this career choice is. Who gets a bunch of "adult" tattoos only to stay mired in a G-rated fanbase?'

The Kiwi video should have shown you that he's not all about being a super cool rocker. His main fan group is 20s and above women at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 142July 18, 2019 2:35 AM

Oh shit, we are back to the Larry crap. And you better check Harry's fans out again, plenty under 20.

by Anonymousreply 143July 18, 2019 3:54 AM

Most of the fans under 16 have moved on to Ariana and Shawn Mendes. Harry has a lot of older, Larrie fans. This latter group are NOT happy about him being cast in a 'het' role.

by Anonymousreply 144July 18, 2019 5:09 AM

R140 I agree that Disney Prince is completely on brand for a member of the world's biggest boyband but surely not for someone who wants to be taken seriously as a musician and as an actor ( if Dunkirk( and screentesting for Elvis are anything to go by). Especially when he is really just starting out as a solo artist. But yes for all those girls on twitter who 'can't wait to see him kiss a girl and be all romantic' ,which lets face it we haven't seen in public from him since the famous New Years Eve kiss with Taylor Swift several years ago, its the perfect role. Not sure what it will do for his music career though. When they said he wanted to expand his audience did they really mean to Little Mermaid fans?

by Anonymousreply 145July 18, 2019 7:02 AM

Maybe they think this could be the path to leading man status ? Or maybe Harry just said fuck it and is going back to his real personality.

by Anonymousreply 146July 18, 2019 8:43 AM

R146 'Or maybe Harry just said fuck it and is going back to his real personality'...I've thought about that too. We don't know if he's been putting himself forward for loads of films but has been rejected so thinks what the hell, at least its a film role that most of my fans will flock to see. It's also possible after touring his album for a year that he realises he's never going to shift the 99% female/1d audience and that he's not going to be nominated in the rock category at the Grammys! In which case go back to what you do best. This is the person that claimed the Notebook was his favourite film for years and years until the Chalamet interview when it suddenly became Goodfellas. Will be interesting to hearhis new music. Will it be rockier or poppier?

by Anonymousreply 147July 18, 2019 9:19 AM

Another white-washed character, what a great idea.

by Anonymousreply 148July 18, 2019 11:21 AM

R147 Being rejected from films and then just taking the leading role that was offered to you is of course a natural thing for emerging actors to do. However Harry isn't exactly your typical emerging actor, who is trying to pay the bills. He's a famous star with a net worth of over 70 mill. dollar and everyone is waiting for his second album anyway. It's not like he NEEDS to do some acting now. He can focus on his music and wait for the right film project to come along. And being in the position that he is, he also doesn't need this film project to be a commercially successful one. Quite the contrary, even if he acts in an obscure indie project now, the film will probably be seen by his fans anyway.

"It's also possible after touring his album for a year that he realises he's never going to shift the 99% female/1d audience" - I can't imagine this. First of all, he already has expanded his audience with the first album. Harry Styles is now also known by men and people over 30, even though his tour concerts probably still consisted mostly of his 1D fans, because they were the fastest to buy tickets and more likely to travel to concerts. Also older people, who haven't heard of him before, will probably need a few albums they like before they want to see him in concert, not just SOTT. But even if most of his audience still consisted of female 1D fans, I can't imagine him just giving up. That's depressing. It's also not sustainable imho, ideally you have a variety of age groups and both men and women in your fan base. If you look at someone like Jack White for example, he has both adoring female fans and many guys, who think he's cool. And while most of his fans are probably in their 20s and 30s, that's actually a good target group - they have enough money to buy CDs, they go to concerts, they also introduce this kind of music to their parents and children.

by Anonymousreply 149July 18, 2019 1:03 PM

Louis being sweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 18, 2019 1:08 PM

A ( translated) quote from a Brazilian publication but no idea how reputable:

'Quoted to give life to Prince Eric in the live-action version of "The Little Mermaid," Harry Styles could make his much-desired permanent migration from the music to the movie world with a $ 10 million millions). This is the figure his agents asked this week for Disney staff, who was responsible for the studio-inspired production that the studio released in 1989, for licensed band leader One Direction to take on the coveted role. Traditionally, Disney does not pay such magnitude to actors without much experience on the big screen, but Styles can become an exception. Anyway, he proved that he takes talent to the métier in 2017, when he appeared in a luxury tip in "Dunkirk" (in exchange for a modest salary of a mere $ 350,000 / $ 1.32 million) and that even won him many accolades at the time '.

by Anonymousreply 151July 18, 2019 1:09 PM

R146 R147 What is his "real personality"? One Direction and Disney prince? Going back to iCarly days? I'm sure he pushed the rock star persona a bit to have more of a clean break from his boyband days (just as he pushed the romantic comedy loving dork persona during these days), but I doubt his "real personality" is cookie-cutter heartthrob. We also have to keep in mind that this guy is 25 and still developing as a person (hopefully). He might like The Notebook AND Goodfellas, you know. He just might not have watched Goodfellas before.

In any case, and even though I personally would have to be forced to watch The Notebook, I think there's still a difference between a historical romance and playing the prince in a Disney remake.

I think that he is blinded by the leading man thing and he also might have this misconception that he's doing something similar as his idols - maybe he thinks him playing Eric is similar to David Bowie in Labyrinth or Keith Richards in Pirates of the Caribbean. It's just really really NOT, because both were already music legend before they did this and he's not only not a legend, he's also not even really fully established as serious musician. Also Bowie in Labyrinth is camp and funny and the "villain", it's quite different to a Disney prince. And Richards is a rock fossil, he can basically do what he wants (also I think it's a smallish role - I have never watched it).

by Anonymousreply 152July 18, 2019 1:36 PM

I see the one direction slash fangurls are still going strong r135/r136. Who knew, I thought that was in the past.

by Anonymousreply 153July 18, 2019 1:45 PM

The good old days, when they were assembled by Simon Cowell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154July 18, 2019 1:49 PM

R151 So he's basically throwing his solo career away for less than he made with his solo album and tour. Instead of releasing the second album and touring. Okay...

I also find it interesting that the article mentions a permanent transition. It might be a translation problem or just strangely worded or totally fake, but I wonder... maybe his voice is giving him problems and that's why he seems so desperate right now? If he won't be able to make music in the foreseeable future, but still wants to stay relevant, this might be an explanation...

by Anonymousreply 155July 18, 2019 2:05 PM

I have no idea who Liam Payne is. But he's pretty. I'd love to rim and plow his arse!

by Anonymousreply 156July 18, 2019 2:05 PM

'So he's basically throwing his solo career away for less than he made with his solo album and tour. Instead of releasing the second album and touring. Okay...'

This is an absurd reach. He's been recording HS2 for a year so it is probably finished.

He is most likely aiming to release HS2 this Autumn, film TLM in the first half of 2020, then tour the album. He adeptly juggled Dunkirk filming/promo with HS1 recording, release, promo and tour. They cross promo-ed very nicely during the summer of 2017.

What on earth makes you think TLM means the end of his solo career? His dedicated army of fraus are delighted at the prospect of him being a Disney Prince and they'll all go to see it.

by Anonymousreply 157July 18, 2019 3:15 PM

'Fan girls who want to see him kiss a girl which lets face it we haven't seen in public from him since the famous New Years Eve kiss with Taylor Swift several years ago, its the perfect role.'

Have you forgotten the pics of him lying on a sunbed, making out with Kendall J, both wearing swimwear? Long range blurry shots but it was definitely going on.

Let me guess - you thought it was 'mutual bearding', didn't you? 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 158July 18, 2019 4:13 PM

R157 Sure, it was somewhat exaggerated, but I meant he's basically reverting the image change he so carefully constructed in the past 3 years and even before during 1D days (they all became more "adult" and less boyband-y in the last 1-2 years of 1D). I didn't mean any conflict in schedule or that he won't release the album now. But you mentioned it: his fans are a dedicated army of fraus delighted to see a Disney prince. Do you think they will carry him through the next 40 years as a musician?

I think with his debut album he made a good step in the right direction of building a larger, more diverse fan base that will provide him with some longevity in the music industry. But he still has to prove himself with HS2 as I think the second album is very important to show he isn't a fluke that had some luck with his first album. Also there are still tons of people out there, who know him from One Direction, but hardly as a solo musician. They might have given the second album a chance if reviews are good, maybe even gone to a concert. I'm not sure if they will, if he will be "that boyband guy and Disney prince from TLM doing a tour". Instead he will might sell some tickets to even more fraus. And get pestered more for a 1D reunion. Because if the second album isn't poppier, but maybe more in the vein of Medicine, I'm not sure if his new Disney fan base of kids and young teenagers will be at the concerts.

Basically if HS2 is similar or rockier than HS1 the target demo for this (apart from the fraus that are his fans anyway, no matter what music he makes) might ignore it, because they'll know he's the upcoming Disney prince (their PR will parade it everywhere) and ex-boybander. And the people he'll reach as a Disney prince either were already his fans or are too young for an actual rock album - they would probably be happier with early 1D music. They are also a crowd that will only stay until the next Disney prince comes along.

Diversity in a fan base is good, but I think it's too early for him to combine two such different target demos, especially since he's coming from a teenage fan background. In a decade, after 4 albums or so and a solid reputation as soloist as well as an actor in a few serious films, yeah, sure, he could play some part in a Disney movie. By then he'd be too old to be the prince, but I think the other roles are way more rewarding (because less one-dimensional) anyway.

But now it's boxing him into a very specific, short-lived image that works against what he's been trying to establish. That's why I said he's throwing it away for big bucks.

by Anonymousreply 159July 18, 2019 4:17 PM

There's a lot of really bad, flat singing at R154.

by Anonymousreply 160July 18, 2019 4:21 PM

I think it will be interesting what Niall's new album is like. His first was folky pop with some rock influences. If he goes more into a folk rock direction with the second album, I think he could do very well regarding longevity. His fan base seems to be a bit less consisting of rabid fraus or slash fanfiction fangurls than Harry's (although I don't have as much insight), more stable and I guess with his laid-back fun persona, his liking of a cold pint and a bit of golfing, he will appeal to the male demographic as well. I don't think he'll ever be as famous as Harry Styles (with or without Disney), but he might still be around in a few decades, doing folksy rock and playing small concerts.

by Anonymousreply 161July 18, 2019 4:25 PM

R160 Lol yes. They clearly didn't become so famous for their singing skills back then, but rather because they were young, pretty, funny and personable lads. And because Simon Cowell gave them a big platform and made them go the extra mile to be the perfect boyband of their time.

But I think it showcases perfectly, that this target demographic (which is similar to the Disney demographic) doesn't care too much about music, but rather everything else that comes with it. And if something changes (e.g. not young or handsome anymore), they will look for the next pop act. Or the next Disney prince.

by Anonymousreply 162July 18, 2019 4:33 PM

R159 100% agree with all this. 'his fans are a dedicated army of fraus delighted to see a Disney prince' and I've seen tweets saying they can't wait or him to sing the Disney songs on his next tour!. I just don't get the thinking behind this at all. I'm starting to think he might have given up on the rock and is going for something poppier on the next album which is why he's not worried about bringing in the Disney fans? Whatever the reason somethings clearly changed in his ambitions if he goes for this role because it goes against everything he seemed to be looking for.

by Anonymousreply 163July 18, 2019 4:34 PM

R154 shows the weakness in their individual voices. Zayn is in tune but his voice is light and thin, prone to wailing on high notes. Liam has a stronger voice but his also lacks texture. Niall's tendency to yodel is there, but he's in tune. Louis doesn't have a solo and Harry (oddly) doesn't either. They all sound best singing ensemble.

Harry's voice did improve with age and gained a lot of strength, depth and character. Nowadays it has a raspy, crunchy timbre that fraus feel in their pussies.

by Anonymousreply 164July 18, 2019 4:34 PM

R159 lol singing Disney songs on his next tour... ouch....

I don't think he'll go poppier, I just think he miscalculates and thinks he can have the best of both worlds. But maybe you're right and he's going into pop. If that's the case I wish him good luck, but I'm out. I mean, I really like his voice, as R164 said, it has strength, depth and character, I like him because I think he's very charismatic, but if there's no music for me to listen to, it's not enough. I'm part of the new demographic he reached with his solo work, I never listened to 1D and was just dimly aware of them as a pop phenomenon. Stumbling upon Harry's solo work per accident made me go back and check out their x-factor days and then the whole journey until now. And they were funny, extremely likeable boys that got thrown into a brutal music industry under Simon Cowell's steel hands and reached super fame. Watching videos and interviews from 1D's heyday and realising all the pressure, loads of money, way more than is probably healthy for such young people, the screaming fans, the obsessed adoration, the frantic schedule and endless interviews, photo shoots, smiling for the cameras and paps... It's a compelling story and it's interesting to see how they developed and continue to develop. So I have a soft spot for all of them and honestly wish them the best. But it doesn't make me listen to Liam's or Louis' or even Zayn's music... and if Harry goes into a pop direction, I (and I imagine some other people of my demographic) won't listen to him anymore either.

by Anonymousreply 165July 18, 2019 5:05 PM

I thought Harry’s charms went down once his hairline crept up. Now he’s just another AWG who got lucky.

by Anonymousreply 166July 18, 2019 5:24 PM

What a cliched comment from the resident Harry Styles hater at R166. You are obsessed with his hairline, which has stayed the same since 2013. Disney don't have an issue with it either, or they wouldn't be considering casting him as an 18 year old.

by Anonymousreply 167July 18, 2019 5:33 PM

Harry gives me Diddler vibes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168July 18, 2019 6:03 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169July 18, 2019 6:05 PM

Liam is catching so much hate for playing this Jeddah gig. He looks money hungry and desperate. The Human Rights Foundation called him.out again today.

by Anonymousreply 170July 18, 2019 11:56 PM

R170 yes, it's certainly a mistake. But I think he will be fine in the end, it seems the mainstream media isn't talking much about it and a lot of the general public probably isn't even aware of this.

And while Saudia Arabia is a no brainer, I think the whole not playing concerts in certain countries can be tricky. Again, I'm speaking in general terms, not about SA. Because where do you draw the line? Do you perform in Israel? In Russia? It's a sad fact that at least outside the Western world a LOT of countries violate human rights. But there might still be fans there, that desperately want to see you perform - maybe especially because living in that country isn't always an easy thing and they just want to have one nice evening and see their favourite singers performing live. And most governments (especially a monarchy like SA) probably won't care too much if some pop artists performs or not. But the fans care and they're the ones, that get "punished".

by Anonymousreply 171July 19, 2019 12:52 AM

At this point I don't think we are ever going to get an album from Liam. He might put out the odd song but I don't think he's got any label support hence throwing him in to do these odd worldwide gigs.....he headlined a festival in Brazil a couple of months ago, has the Saudi gig and then a coca cola music event lined up in September in Spain ( Louis is headlining day 2 which says it all really). He tweeted new music was coming back in April but nothing since and it just all seems a bit desperate for him now.

by Anonymousreply 172July 19, 2019 8:18 AM

R172 I think Liam is still making a comeback from his " I'm a rapper ' fiasco.

by Anonymousreply 173July 19, 2019 9:05 AM

R172 Yes he seems to be trying to reinvent himself after the 'Payne Chain' but I just don't think anyones interested anymore. He has a cringe factor about him which is just too offputting. Pretty sure Zayn has burnt all his bridges with his label too so if he puts out any more music I think he will be financing it himself. Louis seems confident that he'll be putting out an album by the end of the year and to be fair I think Cowell has taken him under his wing so he might just get the label's support. But lets be brutally honest here he is not a singer or a performer so if he gets an album out it will be his first and last. There are too many UK artists doing the sort of music Niall does and much better than he does it. The criticism of his music and in particular the tour was that it was boring. From what he's said it seems as though he's playing around with differnt genres and upping the tempo on the next album so lets see. He is certainly the most down to earth, likeable and naturally funny member of 1d imo. And Harry I had high hopes for and was looking forward to his 2nd album but not there for a Disney movie at all and personally think it will be a big mistake if he accepts it.

by Anonymousreply 174July 19, 2019 9:28 AM

It's certainly funny that Liam is advised against performing in Jeddah when a K-pop group literally just had a concert there a few days ago and it went very successfully, got into news sites and newspapers and basically just very positive review and reception in general. I think Liam is gonna be fine performing there.

by Anonymousreply 175July 19, 2019 11:19 AM

Also more fun facts: Some of those rich Kpop fans also gave the Kpop group members a lot of gifts and souvenirs like rolex watch, pure gold, local coffee, flowers, oil, and a huge welcoming billboard.

And this Kpop group is 14 years old and they can still sell out a lot of concerts and pull big numbers for their album. In the west, boybands have the average lifespan of 5 years but you'd be surprised by how some Kpop groups can last almost two decades.

Kpop fans are crazy dedicated and loyal. They are not as big in numbers but got crazy ass dedication. They've got very nice engagement ratio.

by Anonymousreply 176July 19, 2019 11:29 AM

Liam will not be 'fine', R175. He will be remembered for going against the Human Rights Foundation's advice and playing this concert.

Unlike misogynist, homophobic rappers Tyga and Chris Brown (who also played), Liam HAS spoken out to support women's and lgbt rights, but his words seem empty and superficial now.

Liam fans comparing the Saudi dictator to Trump are guilty of false relativism. It's legal to protest about Trump and live music is one of the ways protest happens. Songs with Fuck Trump in the lyrics are played at festivals and nobody is arrested. Trump was, alas, democratically elected and is subject to fierce scrutiny on all media platforms every day. Those trying to protest about the totalitarian Saudi regime are arrested & often executed. Boycotts & sanctions against the country are the only form of protest.

Liam will regret this performance. His career is already circling the drain.

by Anonymousreply 177July 19, 2019 11:38 AM

' And Harry I had high hopes for and was looking forward to his 2nd album but not there for a Disney movie at all and personally think it will be a big mistake if he accepts it.'

Still a big possibility he might not do it, but he has always had a very sentimental, feminine side and he probably loves the film. I'm hoping for more indie rock songs like Medicine on HS2.

by Anonymousreply 178July 19, 2019 11:40 AM

Kpoppers come from a very restrictive country themselves, so it isn't as jarring when they play Saudi. They are 100% controlled by their management, whereas Payne is not. The Kpoppers are also not already worth $50m each.

by Anonymousreply 179July 19, 2019 12:12 PM

'In the west, boybands have the average lifespan of 5 years but you'd be surprised by how some Kpop groups can last almost two decades.'

Their careers usually end when they are dragged off to do compulsory National Service in their mid 20s. Boy bands like Take That, Westlife and the Backstreet Boys have far more longevity than Jungkook and his troop of dancing clowns.

by Anonymousreply 180July 19, 2019 12:16 PM

I'm completely unfamiliar with Kpop and its workings, but I think the main problem for boybands and their longevity in the west is that people here have an inherent scepticism and dislike of musicians, who aren't "artists", whatever that means. The classic concept of a real musician in the west is someone, who writes their own songs and ideally also plays one or more instruments. Of course a lot of pop acts nowadays don't always do this, but their target demographic often consists of very young people, who don't care as much about "artistry". It's the older people, who'd rather have a solid singer-songwriter with an ugly face instead of an attractive singer, who is perceived as a puppet of his management and songwriters. Interestingly even someone like Taylor Swift, who writes extremely banal pop music and isn't that much of a singer imho, is still known to write her own songs and to play some instruments (also due to her country background) as well as being her own rather powerful person in the pop business.

I think that's one of the reasons, why Kpop bands, who are known to be tightly controlled by their management, will probably never become much bigger in the west (or at least never reach a more diverse demographic).

by Anonymousreply 181July 20, 2019 5:26 AM

More articles about what a wonderful Prince Eric Harry would make. He has already screentested with Halle and they had plenty of chemistry. Cue the trolls saying he is 100% gay and has never touched a woman in a sexual way.

by Anonymousreply 182July 21, 2019 12:58 AM

R182 Sure, he hasn't lol. If the fangirls can't have him, nobody shall have him - except Louis (since they can't have him either).

The Hollywood Life article is worrying to me regarding just how far into negotiations he already is, since I'm still hoping against hope he won't become a goddamn Disney prince fangirl dreamboat. But I've read that Hollywood Life is known for just making things up. And they mention that he might possibly choose another big project instead of TLM, so if there's any truth to the article I'm clutching this straw.

by Anonymousreply 183July 21, 2019 1:19 AM

Some sleazy site thinks Harry is asking for 10 million, Ha

by Anonymousreply 184July 21, 2019 1:26 AM

R183, the other big project could be a part in the Marvel films, which would be a cooler role for him. But Harry is whimsical and capricious and never does what is expected of him. So many thought he was being lined up as the new Hugh Grant (given that he loves rom coms so much, and is a dorkish, floppy haired type) but he goes and debuts in a serious war film.

by Anonymousreply 185July 21, 2019 1:28 AM

R184 Do you have to source? I was interested which site that was, since I couldn't find it. But yeah, if he's becoming a shitty Disney prince, he better ask for 10 million compensation for damages. But Disney is notoriously cheap so idk...

R185 I can't say I'm a huge Marvel fan, but I think it's definitely a better project with a more diverse audience, even if it's not a good movie. There's bound to be a bad movie in his portfolio if he pursues acting, but there are bad movies that don't really hurt the actors and there are bad movies that can end careers. Personally I think Age of Ultron was pretty bad for example, but it didn't seem to hurt any actors - even Aaron Taylor-Johnson was fine, although people had a direct comparison to Evan Peters' much more interesting Quicksilver. But he went on to do Nocturnal Animals and was amazing in it. Loved the movie btw, can't Tom Ford cast Harry in something? Older gay men are usually his best networking chance lol.

by Anonymousreply 186July 21, 2019 2:02 AM

R186, Chris Nolan loves Harry and he is renowned for casting the same actors in his films again and again. So hopefully, he'll have a part for him in his next big feature movie.

by Anonymousreply 187July 21, 2019 2:09 AM

R186 I'm trying to find it, but it might have been a fan site on twitter. It wasn't a valid source. All the fans thought he was worth it though.

by Anonymousreply 188July 21, 2019 5:19 AM

R186 This is the article but you'll need to use google translate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189July 21, 2019 6:10 AM

R188 Okay, I see. Yeah, doesn't sound that reliable. But I actually wonder what he is worth - as an actor basically nothing, but as a singer/celebrity quite a bit. So I find it hard to apply the "usual" rates. It's said that Emma Watson got 3 million up front for Beauty & Beast, but earned all in all about 15 million through a back-end deal (probably even more, because B & B was a major box office success). Angelina Jolie reportedly got 20 million up front, but was probably the highest ever paid actress by Disney (basically their Robert Downey Junior). Both were household names when they got the roles, Emma Watson probably had a similar fan base as Harry through Harry Potter, but also more acting experience. I can imagine his deal could be similar to Emma's?

But what about Halle Bailey? She isn't very known, otherwise many people wouldn't have thought they cast Halle Berry as Ariel lol. So I guess Disney is inclined to pay Harry more than Halle, even though she's the lead. But we know how well that went with The Crown - people threw a tantrum that Claire Foy (a very unknown actress at that point and therefore a risk for the producers, who took a chance to giver her the lead role) got paid less than Matt Smith, who was Dr. Who and a well-known face with loads of tumblr fangirls. It didn't matter that the laws of the market follow other rules than "who's the lead", there was a shit storm that Claire Foy got less money.

I imagine if there's a similar situation with TLM - especially if the lesser paid female lead is black and the higher paid male actor white - people will go absolutely wild. Good luck with that one, Disney!

by Anonymousreply 190July 21, 2019 6:19 AM

R190 I thought about the pay difference as well. At the end of the day Ariel is the lead and my understanding is that Prince Eric is not a major role ( but I've never seen the film so don't know for sure). The other problem with casting a very well known actor/singer ( wherther Harry or someone else) is that it will completely overshadow not only the lead role of Aeriel but also the first black Disney Princess role and is that fair? For those reasons I can see why they' choose someone like Asher Angel instead.

by Anonymousreply 191July 21, 2019 7:14 AM

R191 I actually think they might want to overshadow the whole black Ariel thing a bit, because there was controversy. It's pretty divided, some people think it's great to have a first black Disney princess, others really wanted their Ariel to look like the animated version and think it would have been better to just make a live-action remake of The Frog Princess next, so there's a live-action remake of the already existing black princess.

Let's just say there were quite a few disappointed people and this usually means less box office revenue. Casting someone famous and beloved by the target audience will probably mitigate that a bit. So yeah... I guess Disney actually prefers that people talk about Harry in this case instead of their black mermaid.

The biggest problem with Asher Angel is his age, I guess. He'll be 17 when they film, but that's still underage. Will Disney let a 19/20 year old Halle kiss a 17 year old boy on camera? Personally I don't have a problem with that, I'm European, age of consent is about 14-16 here and we've all seen far worse age gaps on camera (although I don't think you could do something like the UK version of Queer as Folk nowadays). But people in the US are different, they are already complaining that the age gap between Halle and Harry is too big (19 and 25), even though they are both adults imho still pretty close in age.

by Anonymousreply 192July 21, 2019 7:31 AM

Give Harry a nude shot, and the fraus will bloat the box office beyond reason.

by Anonymousreply 193July 21, 2019 7:56 AM

If Harry is bisexual wonder what sort of clause there would be in a Disney contract regarding having a public relationship with another man for a specified time period? If it was any other role it wouldn't matter but Disney will be promoting him to a whole new generation of kids as a Disney Prince . There will no doubt be merchandising off the back of it including Disney Prince dolls etc. So would they allow their Disney Prince to be seen holding hands with another man in public for example. Obviuosly it would be illegal to say so in such blunt terms but having heard about Disney contracts in the past I just wonder.

by Anonymousreply 194July 21, 2019 8:21 AM

R194 Maybe that's why his management suggested he do it. They are all tired of the gay rumors and want to reign Harry in with restrictions.

by Anonymousreply 195July 21, 2019 8:31 AM

I wonder how many years away we are from the Zac Efron tell-all book about how Disney controls their boy ponies?

by Anonymousreply 196July 21, 2019 8:51 AM

R194, Styles was last papped making out with a girl over three and a half years ago, at New Year 2016.

Since then, Irving Azoff has taught him all the tricks for avoiding the paps (unlike Louis, Liam and Niall, who seem to have no idea/inclination of how to avoid being photographed wherever they go). The chance of him being papped holding hands with a guy during LM filming is zilch.

by Anonymousreply 197July 21, 2019 10:04 AM

'Maybe that's why his management suggested he do it. They are all tired of the gay rumors and want to reign Harry in with restrictions.'

This is LarrieThink. Harry embraces gay rumours and has since 2012. His management know this is part of his charm and that he has thousands of female lgbt fans.

The management that were fine with Medicine, 'we're all a bit gay, aren't we?', Pride merchandise, big donations to lgbt charities, and four years of rainbow flags are not about to turn round and insist he play a Disney Prince to push him back into the closet.

by Anonymousreply 198July 21, 2019 10:10 AM

R194 Are they really like that? I'm very careful with these things because people tend to blame "management" for basically everything and apparently everyone is nowadays forced to be in the closet by evil companies and whatnot. Whatever Harry is, he's been very open in the past few years about his support of the LGBT community. I think if Disney cares that much, they wouldn't consider him. I think times have changed a bit, it's very woke now to be supportive of the LGBT community. Places like tumblr are full of people, who think being anything else but straight is really cool and also stuff like "gaybaiting" is a thing. So Disney might be okay with catering a bit to that audience.

But if this would really be an issue, it makes you wonder why he would even consider taking that role in addition to all the other bad stuff that will come from it. It doesn't fit his new music, it doesn't fit with his narrative from the ex-boybander, who turned into a serious musician, it doesn't expand his audience (quite the contrary - it will place him for a very long time with a very specific audience), it doesn't add much to his film cred, at least not like Dunkirk or a comparable film... Why?

Apart from the other negatives, there's also the possibility that he isn't bisexual after all and therefore any "restrictions" Disney might place upon him, don't really impact him. Personally I think he might very well be straight and just an "ally" and otherwise playing with people's perceptions. I think there's a pronounced emphasis on his flamboyant side after he's gone solo and I don't think it's just because Modest management controlled him so much before. I think it's mostly because he's very influenced by British rock stars of the 60s and 70s, musically and otherwise (his dancing on stage is basically pure Mick Jagger in his prime) and they always played with gender perceptions and fashion and such. Also the cynic in me knows that by turning vague in his statements (because in 2013 he said in GQ that he isn't bisexual, a few years later he "doesn't see the need" for labels) he made sure to take all the gays, the queers, Larries and slash fiction reading fangirls of the One Direction fandom with him. Altogether they might have been a good portion and the others don't mind either, because as I wrote above - being not straight and/or woke is cool right now for the younger, more enthusiastic fans and the older, casual fans probably don't know that much personal stuff about him anyway. They just buy the album and listen to the music.

And apart from the image Harry wants us to see, we know nearly nothing about his sexuality. Between his cheeky "pussy" comment and other stuff during the less media trained early 1D days, his reported flings (even the ones that brought bad press like Caroline Flack or that married radio host), the leaked phone calls where he and Zayn told some fangirls how to get into the hotel because "Harry needs booty", the grainy pap shots of him smooching that Australian model and of course the long distance shots of him and Kendall making out on the yacht idk... he might very well just be a straight guy, who's living the high life right now with pussy everywhere and when he's older and calmer, he might settle down with some woman and have a bunch of kids. We don't know...

by Anonymousreply 199July 21, 2019 10:14 AM

Asher Angel is too young. Cute, but too young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200July 21, 2019 12:36 PM

He'll be a PERFECT Disney prince in 4-5 years!

by Anonymousreply 201July 21, 2019 12:39 PM

Hopefully he and the other Andi Mack boys can avoid the Hollywood predators.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202July 21, 2019 1:06 PM

R199, great summary. Styles has only dated VS models. No Bradden type pics of him and a boyfriend, despite him being followed by paps 24/7 for years.

Disney just seems cool these days, following Beyonce in The Lion King.

by Anonymousreply 203July 21, 2019 1:52 PM

R198 Stop with the Larry crap and the VS models. It's tiring.

by Anonymousreply 204July 21, 2019 1:54 PM

Harry the Fairy

by Anonymousreply 205July 21, 2019 8:03 PM

'If Harry is bisexual wonder what sort of clause there would be in a Disney contract regarding having a public relationship with another man for a specified time period? If '

There wouldn't be because such a clause would be illegal and therefore unenforceable. Your Larrie is showing.

by Anonymousreply 206July 21, 2019 11:42 PM

'[R198] Stop with the Larry crap and the VS models. It's tiring.'

Nope, not until you cease making stupid Larrie type comments about HS being restricted by the studio regarding who he dates. We're not in the 1950s. It's against the law to have clauses about staying in the closet or bearding for the duration of the film. You live for beards but you're not going to get any here.

And why wouldn't I mention the VS models? He's dated several. Or were they all beards in your eyes?

by Anonymousreply 207July 21, 2019 11:46 PM

I need to fuck Liam

by Anonymousreply 208July 22, 2019 12:07 AM

R202 Nope, probably already been molested.

by Anonymousreply 209July 22, 2019 1:07 AM

Does anyone know when the August issue of Rolling Stone magazine will be announced? Or how long it usually takes until photos from a photo shoot appear in a magazine? I wonder if Harry will be already in the August issue, if his photo shoot in NY in late June was indeed for Rolling Stone magazine.

by Anonymousreply 210July 22, 2019 6:36 AM

A review of Liam's Saudi Arabia gig

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211July 22, 2019 7:00 AM

One more price reduction and Zayn will be taking a loss also.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212July 22, 2019 7:24 AM

R210, the August edition of RS is already on sale.

Harry had such a good body aged 18, before the messy tats.

I think he will be shooting for Sept or Oct for a RS cover/HS2 release, R212. The Sept edition will be released in early August anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213July 22, 2019 11:46 AM

R213 oh, I thought the current one with Halsey is the July issue? Anyway, I meant the next one, no matter which month. I think it will be issue no. 1330 and since they released Halsey's cover story on 24 June on the website and today's 22 July... maybe we'll have some news this week? I hope it's about HS2.

R212 What's up with the LA real estate market? Or is it just these houses? I hope their other real estate investments turn out to be better. If Harry starts hooking for Disney, it will hardly be an issue... But it has become rather silent around Zayn. If he has indeed a serious drug habit apart from weed, it can become quite expensive quite fast.

by Anonymousreply 214July 22, 2019 12:31 PM

R214, even if he smokes crack all day and then smokes heroin to come down, it still won't dent his $50m. Liam and Louis also have their LA houses for sale, at a loss.

by Anonymousreply 215July 22, 2019 2:40 PM

R215 lol let's hope he doesn't do this. But crazy, sometimes it's hard to grasp just how much money the boys made with One Direction.

Louis said on twitter (I think) that he will release a single in August. Do we have a date for Niall's next single?

by Anonymousreply 216July 22, 2019 5:26 PM

copied but never duplicated

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217July 22, 2019 8:41 PM

Harry's stylist and make up artist both posted pictures of the same alleyway/water hydrant in NYC, possibly from a music video or photoshoot.

No dates yet for any single releases.

The Jeddah review savaged Liam and said he bored the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 218July 22, 2019 10:22 PM

R218 oh... interesting! You got any links?

Poor Liam, that's harsh.

by Anonymousreply 219July 22, 2019 10:45 PM

R219, here's the pics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220July 23, 2019 12:47 AM

Every 1D guy included 1D songs in their performances, even Harry.

by Anonymousreply 221July 23, 2019 4:54 AM

Liam doesn't have that magnetic stage presence Harry possesses. He usually has five dancers to liven things up, but I guess he was worried about them being arrested for performing in skimpy costumes, as he didn't have them with him in Jeddah.

I hope Harry stops playing 1d songs on his next tour.

by Anonymousreply 222July 23, 2019 5:05 AM

Someone gave the guys some pretty shitty real estate advice.

by Anonymousreply 223July 23, 2019 5:14 AM

R223, the LA property market is in free fall. It's not just the 1d boys selling at a loss.

by Anonymousreply 224July 23, 2019 5:18 AM

I didn't know Louis and Zayn had their own van.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225July 23, 2019 5:37 AM

R225 Ah the Scooby and Shaggy of 1d. Harry would be Daphne, but I don't know about the rest.

by Anonymousreply 226July 23, 2019 9:15 AM

R220 Thank you! Doesn't look like a coincidence, very interesting. (Btw I thought Lou was his hair stylist? How many hair stylists does he have?)

R221 Yes, because their sets wouldn't be long enough otherwise. I don't have a problem with them singing One Direction songs tbh or One Direction in general, even though I'm not into their music. I'm also sure the reunion will happen someday, just not as soon as fans think. I'd say not before 2023 or 2024. By then all of them will have at at least 2 or 3 albums out or found another niche in the industry. But I can imagine that they might drop a charity single for Christmas or something like that in between.

R222 None of them have as much stage presence as Harry, but also a lot of other, successful pop artists don't have it and they're fine (e.g. Justin Bieber). I think the problem with Liam in Jeddah was mainly that the crowd was there for other artists. Usually the One Direction songs are the biggest hits during all their solo performances and I've seen footage of Jeddah and they were hardly singing along. But I have to admit I also don't get his choice of One Direction songs. Afaik Harry only performs songs he has co-written for One Direction, except What Makes You Beautiful. Liam has co-written plenty of songs for One Direction, also some of the party hits that would be fitting for a music festival, but he performs a folk ballad like Little Things that was written by Ed Sheeran? Yes, not the best of choices. But I still think it didn't matter too much, since the audience just wasn't there for him.

R225 This is like a little boy's dream car. It's funny to think that they 20 and 22 years old at the time they got it.

by Anonymousreply 227July 23, 2019 11:48 AM

R227, Liam probably chose Little Things because it was one of 1d's few number ones, but the Saudi crowd talked over it. According to the review, they liked Tyga the best.

by Anonymousreply 228July 23, 2019 12:43 PM

[QUOTE] (Btw I thought Lou was his hair stylist? How many hair stylists does he have?)

Lou stopped working for him in 2018. With her child Lux now in school, she probably couldn't commit to all the travelling/touring.

[QUOTE] . I'm also sure the reunion will happen someday, just not as soon as fans think. I'd say not before 2023 or 2024.

I could see a one off reunion stadium gig for charity in 2025, ten years after they split. Definitely not a tour or album, though. The band was at its best with Zayn and Harry.

by Anonymousreply 229July 23, 2019 12:59 PM

R229 I wouldn't rule out another album, basically all the boybands except NSYNC reunited and did another album. But it probably depends all on Harry. I can imagine them reuniting without Zayn and I think they also did a good job as foursome in 2015, even though they looked and acted pretty exhausted by then. But I honestly can't imagine One Direction without Harry Styles, not even if Zayn comes back.

by Anonymousreply 230July 23, 2019 1:18 PM

R230 Harry doesn't seem to care too much, he's the only one, who hasn't done the obligatory 9th anniversary tweet yet lol. I think last year, he only tweeted the next day. People on social media are already making fun about his lack of enthusiasm

[quote]Watch Harry tweet “Nine. -H” at 11:59 P.M wherever he is

They aren't far off the mark with this, I think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231July 23, 2019 5:15 PM

2:30 Liam’s boner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232July 23, 2019 7:07 PM

Zayn stopped tweeting about the 1d anniversary in 2014 so I don't know why everyone still expects Harry to tweet. He doesn't even go on Twitter to like posts anymore, although he does on Instagram. His last Insta post was over a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 233July 23, 2019 9:53 PM

I think Harry would want to post something about the 9 year anniversary of 1D. He needs to keep those fans happy if he wants them to come see him as Prince Eric.

by Anonymousreply 234July 24, 2019 2:09 AM

R233 I don't see how that's comparable. Zayn left the band in 2015 and was pretty vocal about the fact that he hated being in the band and their music. He even made a song about how much he hated it. Harry on the other hand is technically still in the band since they are officially only on "hiatus" and he has tweeted every year so far on the anniversary. He also played One Direction songs at his solo concerts, said in interviews that he liked playing the songs and that he thinks there will be a reunion. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely sure he enjoys the "hiatus" very much at the moment and One Direction is hardly on his mind these days. But I don't think he has negative feelings towards his time in the band and I think recognises very much how important it was for his career.

He's hardly on social media these days, but he still uses it to promote his stuff and for announcements. His last tweet about two months ago, so his twitter is not completely dead, just not a personal twitter anymore.

But the thing about this particular anniversary tweet is that it's basically no effort. You set a reminder every year, you post two lines of text about how grateful you are and how much you love your fans, which takes about 10 seconds and the fans are happy for another year and maybe buy your next album. It's a cost/benefit dream. So I don't quite understand why he hasn't posted yet. He was a day late last year as well, so I fully expect him to tweet something today. But still, it's such a no brainer, I don't know why he doesn't just give the task to an assistant for the next 5 years and be done with it.

by Anonymousreply 235July 24, 2019 2:25 AM

R235 You're right

by Anonymousreply 236July 24, 2019 3:45 AM

I hope they all stop tweeting after the tenth anniversary. I don't know any other bands who do this. It is all fake anyway, as 1d did nothing post 2015. It's always been just 5YearsOfOneDirection.

by Anonymousreply 237July 24, 2019 3:59 AM

Zayn even posted a selfie today. Interesting, he's been absent lately on Instagram.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238July 24, 2019 4:21 AM

That's the longest I've ever seen Z's hair. He looks wasted, but what's new?

by Anonymousreply 239July 24, 2019 4:24 AM

R237 If fans that made me 50 million dollars for 5 years of work wanted me to tweet once a year, I would do it happily. Forever.

by Anonymousreply 240July 24, 2019 4:26 AM

'I think Harry would want to post something about the 9 year anniversary of 1D. He needs to keep those fans happy if he wants them to come see him as Prince Eric. '

A huge percentage of his fans now call themselves Solo Harries and actively encourage him not to mention or tweet about 1d. Most of them were hoping he wouldn't tweet.

by Anonymousreply 241July 24, 2019 11:06 PM

Huge gossip from 1d land today. The biggest Harry Update Account, hsdaily, decided to call Harry out for 'supporting Zionism' (this amounted to waving an inflatable hammer aged 19) and is trying to get him to sign a pro Palestine petition. UAs should stay neutral so this is really out of order. And Harry is ignoring them, so good for him.

by Anonymousreply 242July 25, 2019 10:57 PM

R242 I agree. Those UAs and fans just make asses out of themselves and appear incredibly entitled. Harry has ignored anything regarding this topic since 2014 and has since only gotten better at ignoring social media.

by Anonymousreply 243July 26, 2019 12:14 AM

Looking good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244July 26, 2019 6:29 AM

New photos from Harry's campaign for the new gender neutral Gucci fragrance, Memoire d'une Odeur.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245July 27, 2019 4:21 AM

Easy Rider

by Anonymousreply 246July 27, 2019 4:39 AM

^^ Oops

by Anonymousreply 247July 27, 2019 4:48 AM

Let's try again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248July 27, 2019 4:52 AM

Well he clearly didn't want to be seen!!! driving through London in a vintage yellow Jag with the top down and wearing a bright yellow hawaiian shirt! Surprised we don't have more pics.

by Anonymousreply 249July 27, 2019 8:27 AM

Liam made an appearance for Hugo Boss in a mall in Miami. Harry is too popular for something like that, there would be a riot.

Still no release date for HS2, NH2 or LT1.

by Anonymousreply 250July 28, 2019 11:38 PM

R249 Hiding in plain sight.

by Anonymousreply 251July 29, 2019 2:09 AM

Harry is attending the very secretive Google Camp in Sicily for the 2nd year in a row accompanied by the Klingons Jeff Azoff and Ben Winston. Apparently the worlds mega rich are invited to discuss how to improve the lives of us mere mortals during the day while experiencing the most sumptuous surroundings, most expensive meals/entertainment in the evenings. For the 2nd year in a row Harry has turned up by private jet and made his way to the resort driving a Maserati ( apparently they are expecing 114 private jets to land in Sicily for the event in addition to the wealthy who just turn up in their private yachts). Nobody seems to have any idea what these camps achieve but the whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I saw someone describe it as a 'jerk off circle for the mega rich'. & for Harry the supreme networker I can see this as all his holidays come at once This following on from his 2 week holiday with the Gerbers on their private island when he could have just gone on holiday/spent time with his own family just makes me wonder how far removed from the real world he now is.

by Anonymousreply 252July 30, 2019 9:45 AM

Klingons...perfect !!

by Anonymousreply 253July 30, 2019 12:17 PM

It seems the world's movers and shakers are invited to Google camp as well as just some entertainment people to glam up the event. Apparently there are also Coldplay, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper, some models etc. I doubt these musicians and actors are going to change the world lol. But it's certainly a networking event, hardly a "holiday" and the fact that he was invited for the second time in a row says something. As weird and vacuous of an event as Google Camp is, you don't get invited if you're a nobody in the industry. So it's funny to still hear some people say "stop making him happen" when apparently he is already happening and hardly going anywhere in the next few years. None of the other entertainment industry attendees are something you'd consider one-hit wonders with short lived careers. It's also not like they usually invite random former boy band members, so I guess it's safe to say that he's by now also well known for his solo work. All in all, Jeff seems to be really working for his money, so good for him.

by Anonymousreply 254July 30, 2019 2:59 PM

Harry is attracted to power and wealth. He absolutely loves mixing with those sorts of people. From his XFactor days he has chosen 'friends' very wisely , 'friends' to help him secure his own wealth and power. He has discarded all of his friends from pre-XFactor days and I even sometimes feel he has discarded his family to some extent installing himself instead as an additional son in the mega rich and powerful Azoff family and the mega rich Gerber family. We know he is a supreme networker and can charm a room so google camp is right up his alley. He is a much more calculated businessman than his fans give him credit for and its all about the prestige for him: the high end promo for his solo launch, pushing for a grammy nom for his album, choosing a small role in a film for a respected director, being a Gucci muse, being a muse for a music legend (Nicks), securing an invitation for google camp etc........however scrap all this if he accepts the Prince Eric role in the Disney movie!!.

by Anonymousreply 255July 30, 2019 4:17 PM

R255 He can do all of the above but it doesn't mean anyone will take him serious as a musician/songwriter. Good luck Harry.

by Anonymousreply 256July 30, 2019 5:37 PM

R255 I think they have all discarded (to some extent) their pre-X-Factor friends, except Louis and Niall. Or do you see Liam or Zayn hang out with their childhood buddies? I guess it often depends on what kind of childhood friends you have. Let's be honest, when you're a kid your friends a pretty random. You are friends with the neighbour's kid, because they live next to you, you're friends with the person, who sits next to you in class, you're friends with whoever is willing to go out to a party on Saturday night. I'm not saying that you can't forge deep and lasting friendships in your childhood, if you are lucky, but often it's more about proximity and having similar experiences. I can't say I'm friends with anyone from my childhood days and I'm not famous and have always lived in the same city. But I guess most people find their true friend once they grow older and develop their personality.

Harry was barely 16 when he auditioned for X-Factor, so it's likely he was friends with people because they were from Holmes Chapel as well, not because they had such a similar personality (which he probably didn't fully develop at that age). They were also only a few days a year at home, because they all lived in London (or later in LA), when they weren't recording in Sweden or touring. Even if you see it from the perspective of the childhood friend it's difficult: you're friends with someone, who went away to travel the world and become an international megastar, so you hardly ever see them, while you stay in your childhood home, continue to work in your shitty part-time job and your biggest concern is if you can persuade some girl you're in class with to let you fondle her boobs. It makes more sense to be fast friends with someone, who is actually there and understands your life better and vice versa.

I'm not sure about his family though. Why do you think he discarded them to some extent? He always seemed close to his mum and sister. Just because we don't see them together in photos all the time, it doesn't mean they don't see each other. Iirc most of the later photos we have of him with his family are actually from when his mum's iCloud was hacked by some deranged fans, so apparently they saw each other, just (understandibly) didn't share it with the world.

Apart from all that I totally agree with you, that he's a master networker and very clever in that regard and was so from the very beginning. I'm sure One Direction would never have happened if it weren't for this natural skill.

by Anonymousreply 257July 30, 2019 5:57 PM

R256 Serious musicians are considered serious musicians because they are presented as such. You can't be a talentless hack of course, but Harry can sing and having the clout of the industry behind him goes a long way.

R255 I'm still hoping against hope that he won't do that stupid Disney movie and think it's a bad career move, but him being at Google Camp makes me hope he might survive the blow from that harebrained decision if he goes through with it. It seems that he really is - as you said - very well connected, a hell of a networker and a shrewd business man. And at the same time his fans are convinced that he's the approachable, nice, cute dork next door and needs to be protected at all costs.

I actually respect the fact that he has a certain level of shrewdness way more than if he were just a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 258July 30, 2019 6:43 PM

'For the 2nd year in a row Harry has turned up by private jet and made his way to the resort driving a Maserati ( apparently they are expecing 114 private jets to land in Sicily for the event in addition to the wealthy who just turn up in their private yachts). '

He didn't fly by private jet, nor did he drive a Maserati the second time. But he is the richest member of 1d because his solo career has been the most successful. I guess you are just bitter because Niall and Zayn never get invited to prestigious events like this. They just aren't considered A listers like Harry is.

The Google Camp is located inland, so I don't know how a private yacht would get access? But you are the kind of person who loathes yachts, aren't you? Never owned a car, or a yacht, or gone on a foreign holiday.

by Anonymousreply 259July 30, 2019 10:06 PM

'He can do all of the above but it doesn't mean anyone will take him serious as a musician/songwriter'

Shame you are illiterate. His appearance at the RRHOF and on the cover of Rolling Stone demonstrated that he's already taken seriously. The industry know he was the reason 1d took off the way it did. Look at how the others' solo careers are faring.

by Anonymousreply 260July 30, 2019 10:09 PM

Due to something I read recently I'm convinced that Harry was one of the main reasons, why One Direction were even formed and in the X Factor live shows, but after that I disagree with the notion that he was the sole reason for One Direction's success. This was very much a group effort and someone like Louis was pretty important behind the scenes. In the end he was the one who went toe to toe with their label and got Savan Kotecha fired, which I think was integral for their maturing sound and continued later success. And the others were elemental as well, except apparently Zayn, which probably has to do with the fact that he was always the quietest one and after 2 years or so noticably over this whole boy band thing. He was also never involved in their sound (neither the general direction, nor actual song writing) afaik.

Anyway, this doesn't really have much to do with their solo careers, because boy bands and how they work are one thing and solo careers another. And yeah, I think so far Harry is the one, who's taken the most serious as a musician and songwriter and someone with general star power.

by Anonymousreply 261July 30, 2019 10:51 PM

R259 He did drive a Maserati, just like last year. But a lot of the attendees came in Maseratis, so I reckon they are among the cars Google provided for the attendees to get from the airport to the location. Because while I don't doubt all these rich people have luxury cars, I do doubt that they all have Maseratis specifically.

No idea if he came in a private jet, but I haven't seen any indication that he even owns a private jet. I guess you can rent them, so idk how he arrived in Italy, but considering that it's not a big deal to book a 3 hour first class flight from London to Palermo, I don't know if he would have gone to all that trouble. Seems more suited for people coming from the US, who'd have to change flights and all that.

by Anonymousreply 262July 30, 2019 11:00 PM

Did Liam and Naomi do anal?

by Anonymousreply 263July 30, 2019 11:25 PM

R262 He was seen at a private airport on Sunday so he did arrive by private jet and all the guests were apparently provided with Maseratis to get to the resort. They were expecting 114 private jets to arrive at the airport for the event along with a significant number of private yachts and the primary talking point of Google Camp this year is climate change! ( the event sets Google back $20 million according to Page Six).

by Anonymousreply 264July 31, 2019 2:19 AM

[QUOTE] . In the end he was the one who went toe to toe with their label and got Savan Kotecha fired, which I think was integral for their maturing sound and continued later success.

Savan is the second most successful songwriter in the industry (after Max Martin) and he certainly wasn't fired by Syco - he decided not to work with the band anymore, as he found Louis bossy and overbearing, especially considering Louis had little in the way of musical talent.

1d's evolution from pop to indie rock would have happened anyway, as Harry was interested in it. Once Zayn worked out that 1d was never going to be an R and B band, he grew disenchanted with things.

by Anonymousreply 265July 31, 2019 2:29 AM

"Serious musicians are considered serious musicians because they are presented as such. You can't be a talentless hack of course, but Harry can sing and having the clout of the industry behind him goes a long way."

Not to other musicians.

by Anonymousreply 266July 31, 2019 3:36 AM

[QUOTE] Not to other musicians.

Other musicians rate Harry as well. Chris Martin, Mick Jagger, Rod Stewart, Liam Gallagher, Matty Healy, Fleetwood Mac have all sung his praises.

Wait for the antisemitic R266/Welp Troll to snarl 'they are paid to do so'.

by Anonymousreply 267July 31, 2019 4:35 AM

R264 I see... I feel like I always miss small infos like the private airport bit on Sunday. Where do you all get your tea? And yeah, Google claiming this is some kind of event where they'll change the world for the better is ridiculous. They should just label it for the high class networking event it is.

R265 Savan Kotecha is a good songwriter and his sound (especially WMYB) kickstarted One Direction and basically saved it, because the label wanted a pretty different sound initially. But Kotecha said himself that he absolutely planned to keep this sound and his control over it and didn't want the boys to interfere with the songwriting process as they were just a bunch of clueless boys from a TV show in his eyes. In the same interview he said this, he also admitted he was wrong about it and that they turned out to pretty savy with the direction they were going into. He also sounds like the decision to part ways was pretty mutual at this point. He was certainly fed up with Louis and apparently talked to the label about it. But I mean, it's clear that the label would rather mutually part ways with Kotecha than with one of the boys, since their faces in public are the actual money makers. There are other good songwriters, but at this point (after the second album) you couldn't just replace one of the boys.

I agree that Harry was always more interested in rock than pop, but the question is how much of a rebel he would have been to go against someone like Kotecha? I think it at this stage it probably took a loud little shit like Louis to do so. He's like one of those boys in class that are always slightly annoying, but they still get elected class spokesperson, because they are not afraid to piss off the teachers.

by Anonymousreply 268July 31, 2019 4:46 AM

R266 Apart from the fact that other musicians are on the record appreciating Harry's talent (like R267 said), including songwriter Ross Golan who said it's "shocking how good he is", what really matters is how the public sees him. In the the end they are buying the albums and concert tickets. It doesn't matter if some really good, but obscure musicians think you are a legend, if the public doesn't see you as serious musician. The opinion of other musicians, especially well-known ones, is only insofar important, as they help shape the public's opinion. And maybe for collaborations.

by Anonymousreply 269July 31, 2019 4:52 AM

Louis made a huge deal out of being a crack songwriter, but has come up with some pretty rubbish songs as a soloist, like the swearfest Miss You and saccarine Just Like You.

Kotecha also said Harry was a 'very good' songwriter.

by Anonymousreply 270July 31, 2019 5:07 AM

Where everyone would expect Harry to zig, he zags. He knows the money that’s on social media and he’s still STAUNCHLY rebuffing it. He hasn’t posted on Instagram in over a year! He could’ve done the sultriest, sexiest, most controversial music video for Kiwi. What did he do? Kids, cake and puppies.

He could very well be posing for thirst traps because he has the body and the face and the everything for it, but he’s just not. His Gucci shoots have been whimsical and a lil weird instead.

His music... who releases a 6 minute soft rock ballad in the era of tropical sounds and trap? Even stuff like hustling for Spotify or radio. He’s just like, “Nah, gonna nap instead? That cool?” Instead of going to every possible red carpet, he avoided them like the plague and only did them when strictly necessary. Instead of flaunting a relationship to the world, he’s been hiding everything about his romantic life as much as he can. I mean, I sincerely doubt the man hasn’t gone on one date in over a year, but that’s how long he’s been single now, and even before that, how often did we see Camille? Once a month? In blurry fan pictures that you couldn’t even tell was her?

by Anonymousreply 271July 31, 2019 5:22 AM

"Kotecha also said Harry was a 'very good' songwriter."

So good he had to have 7 others write his album and had no demo rapes to start off the process?

Harry might become a serious artist. He is not one now.

"Wait for the antisemitic [R266]/Welp Troll to snarl 'they are paid to do so'." Shut up Spazz

by Anonymousreply 272July 31, 2019 5:59 AM

tapes, demo tapes !!! ugh ^^

by Anonymousreply 273July 31, 2019 6:01 AM

[QUOTE] So good he had to have 7 others write his album and had no demo rapes to start off the process?

Why did he need demo tapes when he had five albums' worth of songs with him singing lead vocals? You're a stupid Welp Troll, aren't you? Go back to your racist bashing of Meghan Markle.

by Anonymousreply 274July 31, 2019 6:14 AM

R274 You just lash out at everyone. You're the only one who even posts here anymore. Do you run to 5 different devices to post? You're blocked so many times that no one cares about you, so you answer yourself.

Wrong again, never have been on the Meghan Markle thread. But if you say so, it must be true.

by Anonymousreply 275July 31, 2019 6:21 AM

demo rapes lmao

I guess for further discussion it would be important to define what is a "serious musician". Because if only rock veterans like the Rolling Stones or The Eagles are serious artists, he can't be that. He is a 25 year old guy with one solo album out, of course he's not a legend.

But I think that solo album was a very important and definite step to shake off the manufactured boyband past and be relevant in today's music world - which I think would be the best definition for "serious musician". The songwriters don't perturb me that much tbh. He was in the unique position of being a debut solo artist, but still with the money to get experienced people on board to work with him to ensure the outcome sounds good - and it does! I guess that's the most important thing, also to the general public. There are plenty of musicians out there, who are taken fairly seriously and who work with songwriters. I also want to mention that all other 1D boys worked with songwriters as well - even Louis, who was always proud of having the most songwriting credits in 1D, worked with 7 other songwriters for "Miss You" and Niall had 12 songwriters for his debut album!

In the end he was able to show with his debut that he's willing to go into a (at least to me) very interesting musical direction, can at least co-write decent songs, can definitely sing (and has vocally even improved since 1D) and is a solid performer. He has not only managed to reach a new target audience that has never heard 1D before (= me, for example), he has also impressed the likes of Stevie Nicks and Liam Gallagher. And the NASA lol.

So yeah, I think he's on a very good way, even though of course a lot will depend on his second album. The second effort is always essential, because it manifests a direction (or changes it) and proves that the first success wasn't just a fluke.

by Anonymousreply 276July 31, 2019 6:51 AM

R276 Let's be fair, Niall didn't have 12 writers on each song. One song had 5 writers and the rest had 2 or 3, besides Niall. Almost every song of Harry's had 5 writers and one had 6.

If Harry wants to be taken serious he will have to put the work in. I'm sure he can do it, but it's not right around the corner. There's a long road ahead, slow and steady will get him there.

And you're right, everyone probably has a different definition of "serious artist."

by Anonymousreply 277July 31, 2019 8:19 AM

R277 Of course, I didn't mean that Niall had 12 writers on each song - just that he worked with more different writers on the whole album, whereas Harry had a smaller team for the whole album, but there were generally more people involved in each song.

I'm not sure Harry's road is actually that long and slow. I think the most important thing is that his second album keeps up with the quality of his first one, maybe shows some progress, but doesn't feel forced. Having to live up to success is always a danger, especially if he feels he has to model the sound of the second album after the most successful songs from the first one, so in the end everything sounds the same. I usually just call his music "rock", but of course it's a mixture of different styles and I think that's part of the charm. But I do believe he has a good feeling for which songs work and with the right producer he'll hopefully be fine.

Personally I just want a (very very unlikely, I know) studio version of his Ultralight Beam cover on the new album, because his version is one the best songs he ever did. And I'm saying this as someone, who genuinely likes every single song of his debut album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278July 31, 2019 9:04 AM

I think Liam wins. He had 15 writers credited on one song.

by Anonymousreply 279July 31, 2019 12:34 PM

R279 wow... I wonder how so many people can actually write one song. And because you mentioned Liam, I looked it up and was surprised to see that he didn't co-write any songs on his EP. He did write for 1D, so why not on his own solo EP?

Liam is probably the one former band member, whose career plan/direction/artistic vision I understand the least, especially considering that he has a good voice and knows how to use it and seemed like the "sensible one" in 1D.

by Anonymousreply 280July 31, 2019 12:42 PM

R280 I'm confused about Liam also.

by Anonymousreply 281July 31, 2019 7:07 PM

' I wonder how so many people can actually write one song. And because you mentioned Liam, I looked it up and was surprised to see that he didn't co-write any songs on his EP. He did write for 1D, so why not on his own solo EP? '

Liam has ten songs out now and only co wrote the first, Strip That Down, with 12 other writers. The other nine were all written by other people. He admits that Louis was 'the lyrics man' but Louis can't play instruments well, or produce music, so I'm thinking writing a few lyrics is all he did, which anybody can do, let's face it.

The 1d fans loved the idea of the boys writing their own songs, so vanity credits were given out for those who sat in on the sessions and contributed a little bit, however basic. To this day, 90% of the 1d fans still believe Louis and Liam wrote those songs all by themselves!!!

by Anonymousreply 282July 31, 2019 8:18 PM

'You just lash out at everyone. You're the only one who even posts here anymore. Do you run to 5 different devices to post? You're blocked so many times that no one cares about you, so you answer yourself. '

R275, you can't make silly claims like that anymore with the new system, which tells you how many posters there are at the top of the thread. There are 49 here. You really think I have over 40 different devices at my disposal? I'm flattered.

by Anonymousreply 283July 31, 2019 8:20 PM

Who else loved his hot rocker look?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284July 31, 2019 9:05 PM

Meeee! I think the short hair is more marketable and also better for film roles, but damn if the long hair wasn't hot... and the black skinny jeans... 2015 Harry Styles was smokin'

by Anonymousreply 285July 31, 2019 10:35 PM

Hot pic.

by Anonymousreply 286July 31, 2019 10:57 PM

His 2014 hair was great too.

by Anonymousreply 287July 31, 2019 11:17 PM

Attendees arrived at Google Camp in private jets, and are each given a Maserati to drive to the venue, and the talking point for this “conference” is climate change? What a bunch of out-of-touch dipshits.

It’s a wonder that Trump wasn’t named keynote speaker.

by Anonymousreply 288July 31, 2019 11:26 PM

Is it? I honestly don't know what the talking point for this conference is, some people have said humanitarian issues, some said cultural... all in all it's very top secret. And kind of stupid too, yes. I don't get why Google tries to make this into anything else than the high profile networking event it is, where the movers and shakers of different industries (including the entertainment industry) have a good time under the Sicilian sun and forge new connections. This whole "bettering the world" theme is actually making it look worse, especially in connection with the - expected - lavish luxury. And because you mentioned Trump, I think the Obamas are actually attending as well as some of the more vocal Hollywood "philantropists" like Leo Dicaprio and Emma Watson.

Anyway, the guest list seems to be indeed pretty exclusive, so I guess it's a good opportunity to schmingle for Harry. And I'm not gonna lie, it's kind of a compliment that Harry is apparently included in this group of A listers (no matter what the real or pretend nature of this event is). Google is a powerful machinery, probably way too powerful by now, and they seem to think that Harry is someone, who matters. That's... nice in a weird way.

by Anonymousreply 289August 1, 2019 12:19 AM

Harry's Gucci gender neutral perfume ad is here. He does the voiceover too and speaks in French.

by Anonymousreply 290August 1, 2019 12:22 AM

Gucci Memoire, starring Harry Styles. Again, a whimsical little shoot showing him cuddling up to statues and to his friends. He never releases his full sexual power.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291August 1, 2019 12:24 AM

Cute. People of color and much older people are in the shoot. Very inclusive and on brand for Harry. I love it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292August 1, 2019 12:31 AM

R291 I really love the music in this ad, even though I'm not sure if it fits the imagery. I know that whoever made the concept for this campaign chose it, but oh boy... if HS2 sounds anything like Roxy Music's In Every Dream Home a Heartache, we won't have to worry about the serious musician thing lol. What a legendary song.

Harry's French sounds funny. I always have to think of him going to the cinema with his friends and family.

by Anonymousreply 293August 1, 2019 12:35 AM

R291 Not sure if Alessandro Michele and "sexual power" go together tbh.

by Anonymousreply 294August 1, 2019 12:37 AM

I am a Larry shipper, a Larry believer if you will.

by Anonymousreply 295August 1, 2019 12:43 AM

... context?

by Anonymousreply 296August 1, 2019 12:48 AM

' if HS2 sounds anything like Roxy Music's In Every Dream Home a Heartache, we won't have to worry about the serious musician thing lol. What a legendary song. '

If HS2 sounds anything like any kind of Roxy Music, I will be in heaven. One of my all time favourite bands. Let's hope there's also a chart smasher like Dance Away the Heartache or Love is the Drug.

by Anonymousreply 297August 1, 2019 12:56 AM

[QUOTE] really love the music in this ad, even though I'm not sure if it fits the imagery.

Clashing soundtracks seem to be a feature of these Gucci productions. The chip shop one had Harry holding a chicken to the sound of the Beatles' Michelle.

by Anonymousreply 298August 1, 2019 3:43 AM

Karamo Brown from Queer Eye talked about partying with Harry in Japan on the WWHL After Show:

[quote]“I can tell you this…um…one of the people that was with Bobby and I there taught Harry – showed him - Grindr. He had never seen Grindr before, and that was the first time. It was kind of cute where this straight guy was like – ‘There’s an app where you can find a date?’ And I thought it was really cute.”

One of the big UA on twitter, HSdaily quoted him and slyly left the "straight" part out lmao. They said they've manipulated the quote because he doesn't like labels, but I mean... it's not them labelling Harry, they are just quoting what Karamo said. Or in this case misquoting. Maybe they didn't want to offend the Larry shippers, they are out in droves on twitter, loving that he doesn't know Grindr, because they believe he's married to Louis, so there's no need for him to know dating apps. If they weren't all a bunch of slash loving little girls, they'd probably know that even a married gay man would probably have heard of Grindr at some point.

by Anonymousreply 299August 1, 2019 4:21 PM

Harry for sure will have heard of it, probably not used it though, gay or straight. Larries rejoiced over that because of course happily married Harry would never go on Grindr (lol) but their elation was dashed when one of the female models from the Gucci Memoire shoot talked about what she said to get Harry into bed.

She's a black model, so black Harry Styles fans are rejoicing. Larries and the Harry Is Gay brigade are furious. Personally, I've always thought he was bi or even straight, so this comes as no surprise.

by Anonymousreply 300August 2, 2019 12:20 AM

Interview with Harry today in Dazed magazine. The writer has won himself no fans outside Harry's stans by referring to Niall, Liam and Louis as 'second and third and fourth directions'. The writer also says that Harry played 'Bowie' to the other boys' 'Beckham' and implies that 1d was a hotbed of toxic masculinity from which H could not wait to escape. Harry says he feels 'much happier' now he's amongst 'free thinkers'.

by Anonymousreply 301August 2, 2019 1:36 AM

Don’t know if actually got him into bed R300, but she allegedly said that he “has a face that would make her scream Daddy and break her pussy”. Or something like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302August 2, 2019 1:41 AM

R302, wow! I didn't know she said that. Was it implied that they did sleep together?

Harry is very attractive to a lot of black and Muslim girls. I remember Yewande off this year's Love Island and Samira off last year's Love Island both saying he was the guy they fancied most.

by Anonymousreply 303August 2, 2019 1:44 AM

And some are accusing her of being a sexual predator for disrespecting Harry that way.

Her name is Elibeidy Martinez.

by Anonymousreply 304August 2, 2019 1:45 AM

Larries are going nuts because the model 'should have realised he was in a committed, long term relationship with Louis'.

by Anonymousreply 305August 2, 2019 1:50 AM

I find it hard to believe that Harry never heard of Grindr. My 82-year-old grandmother knows what it is.

by Anonymousreply 306August 2, 2019 1:55 AM

R305 lmao how delusional can you be...

R301 I'm not a fan of the article shitting all over 1D. I mean, everyone who followed Harry probably knows that his desire to go solo was a big reason for the split. And it's also clear from his solo music, which is very different to 1D's music, that he is hardly crying after his 1D days. However he was always fairly graceful about it, acknowledging the role 1D played in his career, never saying a bad word about the others, but also not focusing overmuch on it. I think of all the boys he has set himself already apart the most - for example he wasn't asked as much about 1D in interviews and such. The comments in the Dazed interview came off as catty and braggy tbh. I don't know why the writer brought 1D up at all, I think if he would have just focused on Harry without mentioning his old band it would have made it much clearer that he's come a long way and avoided sounding like a brat.

by Anonymousreply 307August 2, 2019 2:01 AM

Gucci Memoire review: “It kind of smells like old people”.

She’s returning it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308August 2, 2019 2:06 AM

Harry himself basically said it smells like old ladies... or didn't he say it smells like Joan Didion's house or something? lol

It makes me curious, I'll certainly look out for a sample somewhere, but I don't expect much. I never liked any of these "universal" fragrances, give me a nice, masculine scent, not some flowery powdery whatever. Speaking of nice and masculine, the Dazed interview doesn't sound like we'll ever get 2015 Harry Styles back in terms of fashion. Lots of shade for black clothes, skinny jeans and chest displaying shirts. Instead lots of love for crazy suits and bell-bottoms. Oh dear... I mean, I guess you like what you like, but personally I definitely prefer some Saint Laurent infused rock chic over Liberace tribute fashion. And I really fucking hate bell-bottoms. They are a tragic mistake of fashion history and I'd like to forget it ever happened.

by Anonymousreply 309August 2, 2019 2:23 AM

R309, H would look so good in skin tight leather trousers with a billowing white New Romantic shirt, open to the waist, with his signature heeled boots. I don't like the mad Liberace sequins either, or all the Gucci layering. His body is too good to be swamped in fabric.

by Anonymousreply 310August 2, 2019 5:05 AM

He's a very handsome young man with a reasonably fine body, he can also just wear black jeans and a simple black shirt. No need for ruffles or shiny stuff imho. But Harry Lambert and Alessandro Michele will never let that happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311August 2, 2019 5:40 AM

Liam did an interview with Haute Living about his Hugo Boss line. Not sure if it's a good idea that Harry's and Liam's interviews about their fashion collabs were released on the same day. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but still... And maybe it makes a weird kind of sense because what Liam says in that interview about his approach to fashion and his personal style is the polar opposite to what Harry says in Dazed.

At least he finally denounces his gangsta rapper phase, calling the Payne chain his biggest recent fashion mistake. What a blessing, maybe he can now go on and be just Liam and make some nice music.

Also he calls the collab "a marriage of the two brands" and at first I was confused what he was talking about until I realised that he refers to himself as a brand lol. Technically he's right, but I don't know, it still sounds so funny that he calls himself a brand that is marrying Hugo Boss. Oh Liam...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312August 2, 2019 6:16 AM

R312, I thought the part where Liam refers to himself as a brand was jarring too, but he has always been commercially minded with his solo career - jumping on chart trends rather than forging ahead to create his own distinctive style.

He also needs to educate himself a tiny bit about fashion and at least be able to name a couple of British designers when asked if British style influenced him or what his fave outfit in 1d was. He overuses the adjective 'fun' and often rambles vaguely.

by Anonymousreply 313August 2, 2019 6:32 AM

R312 Thank goodness he realized he looked ridiculous. He looks so much better now.

by Anonymousreply 314August 2, 2019 6:32 AM

Harry looks natural and very handsome here, in a plain white T shirt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315August 2, 2019 10:50 PM

The manager that Liam start out his solo career looking like that should change occupations, quickly.

by Anonymousreply 316August 3, 2019 3:51 AM

R316 Managers are always a bit like nannies for adults though, aren't they? So maybe Liam's manager told him that the Payne chain was absolutely ridiculous, but he threw a tantrum and did it anyway.

Just like Zayn's manager tried in vain to get him to behave like an adult, but he became petulant, so she quit.

by Anonymousreply 317August 3, 2019 5:26 AM

I guess Liam was always a rap music fan, but who thought he would actuully try to live the life? Eeeewww

by Anonymousreply 318August 3, 2019 6:03 AM

What do people think about Zayn's career? Looks like it is dead in the water.

by Anonymousreply 319August 3, 2019 7:45 AM

R319 It's pretty sad tbh. I'm not a fan of RnB, so most of his music isn't for me. But I like some tracks from his second (basically flopping) album, e.g. "Good Years", which has an interesting meaning and lyrics, and "Sour Diesel". And it's undeniable that he could have had a huge career after being the first one to leave 1D and snagging some great collaborations. He has a good voice, an amazing face and pretty good connections, so it makes me sad to see this all go to waste.

The last we heard he was working on his "anxiety", but I don't know... it doesn't seem that he cares too much about a career at the moment. He basically said himself that he has enough money to live comfortably, so why hustle. He just wants to make music and release it for people, who care to listen to it and that's it. But I can imagine that he might not be too happy about that after some time. They all got used to fame and adoration at a very young age, most people continue to crave it in some capacity. That's why all these has-been celebrities do desperate things for reality TV shows - not just for the money, but for the attention.

Also it might be necessary for Zayn to do at least some public appearance to have any people listening to his music at all. I don't think is such a legend as a solo artist yet, that he can release music every few years and never show his face again. He's not The Sisters of Mercy (even though they are actually the contrary as they haven't released any music in 20 years, but still tour and sell concert tickets).

The real question is probably WHY he acts the way he does. He says it's anxiety, but it seems common knowledge that he has a drug problem. I have no idea what drugs he's on - he's obviously smoking weed and during the infamous 2014 video his and Louis' security guards were checking a deal for cocaine, so there's that. I've also heard some rumours about heroin (although people tend to group stuff like oxy together with H), which would be really very concerning, but then again rumours have a tendency to be scandalous and wrong. If he's on the heavier stuff, I think his career is less of a concern than him living beyond 27. But as I said, I don't know what he's on and how serious it is...

by Anonymousreply 320August 3, 2019 8:29 AM

Great post, R320.

[QUOTE] He's not The Sisters of Mercy (even though they are actually the contrary as they haven't released any music in 20 years, but still tour and sell concert tickets).

I used to love that band, especially their first album. Legends.

[QUOTE] The real question is probably WHY he acts the way he does. He says it's anxiety, but it seems common knowledge that he has a drug problem. I have no idea what drugs he's on...

I think he might be medicating with benzos like Xanax and they can rebound and make the user more anxious than they were in the first place. Benzos plus opiates is what killed Whitney, Lil Peep and others. I do get tragic vibes from Zayn and will be glad when he turns 28, but he's 27 in January and has a whole year to get through. He is so little and skinny and those types are more easily wiped out by ODs than heavier people.

On a happier note, Harry flew economy to Cancun yesterday and was photographed by a fan on the set of a music video or film of some kind.

by Anonymousreply 321August 4, 2019 4:36 AM

Oh benzos... yeah, didn't think of pills, but it makes sense for a lot of celebrities as they can just get it from a doctor and not some sketchy street drug dealer. I wish Zayn would at least get a new manager, someone, who can keep a bit of an eye on him. Managers can be part of the problem, because of the pressure and a lot of them are enablers/providers, but there are also quite a few people, who were saved from OD, because their manager or assistant was there to call 911 and/or persuaded them to go to rehab.

by Anonymousreply 322August 4, 2019 5:13 PM

New footage of Harry filming in Cancun surfaced, looks to me like it's a continuation of the teaser trailer for the first album (or was it SOTT?) since he's stepping out of a door, all wet. And even though I'm no expert on this, he looks to me like he's wearing his personal style and not something for shooting another Gucci ad or - god forbid - The Little Mermaid like some people on twitter thought. I'm pretty sure this is for HS2.

by Anonymousreply 323August 4, 2019 5:26 PM

R323, I think it's for HS2 as well. His team shut down a whole district in Cancun and had armed guards patrolling the streets to make sure nobody got onto the set for about 24 hours. Vast quantities of violet flowers were used, according to a local paper. Sounds very intriguing! I hope we get a movie style video and not another silly cake fight like Kiwi.

by Anonymousreply 324August 5, 2019 12:52 AM

R324 I'm usually not a fan of cake fights, but I think it was a great and weirdly fitting video for Kiwi, which is a very quirky song. It emphasised the fact that it's not a song to take too seriously. If anything I was not ecstatic about the SOTT video, which has very beautiful visuals, but it's not something I sit down to watch from the beginning to the end. I also have to think of Harry Potter all the time with all the flying around the Scottish countryside - I think the second to last Potter movie, the one with Nick Cave's Children (which is an amazing song btw), was mostly filmed in Scotland, right? Landscape looks very similar.

Anyway, I think you might get your wish for a movie style video. Rumour is that a bunch of people from Harry's team started following Vincent Haycock on social media and a lot of his music videos are movie style with complex opening scenes and such (e.g. Paul McCartney's Early Days and U2's Song for Someone ft. Woody Harrelson). He also did Florence+ the Machine's Odyssey film.

No matter what kind of style that video will be, I hope this new Vince Haycock connection means something, because I think his videos are really good. And I think it would also make sense to create a movie style music video considering that Harry wants to do more acting. It would help merging these two worlds.

by Anonymousreply 325August 5, 2019 2:09 AM

I think Haycock will be directing. I hope it's longer than the actual song, say 6 mins like one of the ones he did with Florence.

by Anonymousreply 326August 5, 2019 3:31 AM

I really like this thread at the moment. Sensible discussions and nobody jumping in to eviscerate Harry or Niall.

by Anonymousreply 327August 5, 2019 8:41 AM

He looks like a douche but to be honest, I'd eat that ass

by Anonymousreply 328August 5, 2019 8:47 AM

There's a bit more info about what is undoubtedly a music video shoot in Mexico. Apparently the production team scouted the area for 15 days to find the right house to film in. They rented a total of 20 properties on the street for the day at a cost of between £300 and £600 per property to ensure privacy and the filming went on from noon Saturaday until 2 am Sunday morning. The actual filming took place in a yellow house and there was also a scene outside involving a car ( there is a pic of Harry lying in the road in front of a car). Apparently 100s of bouquets of flowers were used for the filming in the house. Harry is head to toe in Gucci in the pics taken on set and the sparkly shirt/blouse he is wearing was something he also wore on tour. So 2nd hand Gucci clothes, economy flight to Cancun and a pretty low budget set but it seems as though he might have a decent video director this time!!

by Anonymousreply 329August 5, 2019 3:54 PM

Should have added that it doesn't smack of being a love song or high tempo song so far. No other actors/models /dancers have been seen so its just Harry telling a story and the outside scene of him lying in front of a car at night seems to suggest death might be involved. Maybe it will have the SOTT vibe about it?

by Anonymousreply 330August 5, 2019 4:01 PM

I'm really looking forward to it (despite the glitter and high waist clothes lol), I think they are definitely telling a story and maybe a pretty dark one at that with the possible car crash. Haycock is great for dark stories. I also wonder what his first single will sound like, because I don't think there will and can be a second SOTT. Actually Mark Ronson's involvement makes me worry a bit, because he's so well known his pop/funk/soul sound and not at all what I hope HS2 will sound like.

by Anonymousreply 331August 5, 2019 9:17 PM

Yeah, I'd rather have someone like Dan Auerbach involved in production than Mark Ronson, but idk... we'll see how it turns out.

by Anonymousreply 332August 5, 2019 11:57 PM

I really liked Ronson's work with Amy Winehouse on Back to Black. Something in that vein or a Roxy Music type song would be intriguing. The more ridiculous younger stans are squawking about the expense of renting the 20 houses, but 10-12k is small change compared to the total cost of filming any music video.

by Anonymousreply 333August 6, 2019 12:40 AM

[quote]The more ridiculous younger stans are squawking about the expense of renting the 20 houses, but 10-12k is small change compared to the total cost of filming any music video.

Are they? Oh my... I mean, sure, you can always produce at a lower cost, don't rent the houses, spend less money on the whole music video and such. But I mean, we're not talking about a small indie artist here. He has the backing of a big label, why shouldn't he spend the money. I don't know much about economy in Cancun, but I guess some of these people were very fine to rent out their houses for a short amount of time and get a few hundred dollars for it.

Not saying this is the case with those younger stans, but Harry seems to provoke a weird of amount of criticism for basically everything he does, says or wears and I don't get it. He's probably one of the least problematic celebrities out there. Most of the time he's just doing his thing and not bothering anybody. I get it that people have different tastes and might not like his music, his style, his face, his interviews or whatever. I don't like plenty of artists out there, but I also couldn't care less what they are up to. With Harry it seems there's this weird stalkerish attitude of some people, who closely watch his every step, just to criticise every single minute detail. They are basically obsessed with him, but in a negative way. Maybe it's a residue of the 1D fandom? Are these disappointed 1D fans, who think it's his fault the band broke up? Or do people feel it's a weird competition between the 1D boys and they feel the need to drag everyone except their fave? It's very weird to me.

by Anonymousreply 334August 6, 2019 1:53 AM

Harry's an unusual guy, hard to figure out.

by Anonymousreply 335August 6, 2019 4:21 AM

R34 "Harry it seems there's this weird stalkerish attitude of some people, who closely watch his every step, just to criticise every single minute detail. They are basically obsessed with him, but in a negative way. Maybe it's a residue of the 1D fandom? Are these disappointed 1D fans, who think it's his fault the band broke up? Or do people feel it's a weird competition between the 1D boys and they feel the need to drag everyone except their fave? It's very weird to me."

It goes along with the stalkerish troll that can't take any minor criticism of Harry. Sometimes it's just fun to bait the poor dude/dudette.

For instance, I could say something as minor as "that color doesn't look good on Harry." The trolls will go off and heatedly explain why we are all spazz's and start spewing old facts and fiction about Harry. It's seems that we can't have an adult discussion without crap flying. Small criticism does not mean people don't like Harry.

by Anonymousreply 336August 6, 2019 6:07 AM

R336 lol, you are right, there's also the other extreme of fans, who think he's walking on water and can do no wrong. Or even worse, that there are no differing opinions. I guess both are just symptoms of some fandoms? But like someone recently pointed out, I think discussions here are quite good recently, which is very nice. I'm half afraid to say it, because I don't want to spoil it.

What I said about the stalker trolls was mostly about other places, social media and such, where they have filled entire blogs dedicated to Harry Styles's every perceived fault, e.g. if he doesn't tweet enough = is lazy and doesn't care about his career or if fans like him. If he gives an interview = a trie-hard and cares too much about fame and being liked. It doesn't matter if it's contradictory or just normal singer stuff like giving an interview for album promo. This behaviour is more baffling to me than the usual super fan you mentioned. Of course super fans are totally obsessed with their idols, see no fault etc. You can say they're blinded sycophants, but it's still (ramped up and overblown) fan behaviour. But NOT liking someone and spending as much time and energy on that person as the super fan, that's ... surprising.

by Anonymousreply 337August 6, 2019 6:35 AM

R337 And, we have the other group of so-called fans that believe it's a competition. And, take every chance to bash the other members.

The other group is the one that think personally know Harry. They know how he thinks and more. It's scary.

Lol, don't spoil it !

by Anonymousreply 338August 6, 2019 7:01 AM

There is a tumblr blog called wellthatwasaletdown that has been posting hate about Harry daily for over two years. A lot of Louis stans also dislike Harry because they feel Louis' career is being sabotaged by Sony to make Harry look better! Pretty ridiculous.

Some 1d fans do blame H for splitting their beloved boy band, but a lot have moved on to BTS nowadays.

Harry's own update account on Twitter continues to push a pro Palestine agenda and is now making his birthday fundraising drive all about a Palestine charity.

by Anonymousreply 339August 6, 2019 8:28 AM

Yeah, the former 1D fandom is a mess. At this point I think it would actually be easier for Harry if he were indeed gay, because if he ever dares turning up with a serious long term girlfriend or - god forbid - a wife and kid, I'm sure a lot of these very invested fans, who see in him either Louis' lover or a gay icon in general, will act like spurned lovers.

Apparently he has left Mexico and is now in Philadelphia, of all places. I'd like to say "the plot thickens" in regards to him dropping a single soon, but honestly, I have no idea what he could possibly do in Philadelphia nor do I really know what's the usual procedure around releasing a single/music video. Considering the time for post production I doubt the music video is coming before September, but Grammy cut-off is end of August. If he drops the single on the last day of August I will laugh.

by Anonymousreply 340August 7, 2019 1:58 AM

Mayonaise ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341August 7, 2019 4:05 AM

I doubt they would have that top level secrecy around a Gucci shoot. The one in the St Albans chippie was photographed by the Sun and the public. No attempt to make it secret.

by Anonymousreply 342August 7, 2019 4:09 AM

The mayonnaise advert diversion is the most hilarious thing. Who came up with this? And yeah, at this point a Gucci shoot is about as likely as an actual mayo commercial.

R340 Philly was a private thing, not business related, I guess. He just had lunch with some friends in some Cricket club. He seems to be on his way to London again.

by Anonymousreply 343August 7, 2019 7:52 AM

R340 There are no direct flights from London Heathrow to Cancun hence why he transferred in Dallas on the way over and in Philli on the way back . He had dinner in Philli with friends it seems but was seen on a late flight leaving the airport I'm guessing back to London. So Philli has nothing to do with his music. I just hope its a decent music video this time because the 2 previous efforts were very disappointing. I think even the director of the SOTT video washed his hands of it.

by Anonymousreply 344August 7, 2019 7:55 AM

This post on a music forum was very popular. What do we think: 'Harry Styles has pulled off the biggest con of the decade. Forget FYRE, forget Anna Delvey! He's fooled so many people into thinking he's a serious musician even though his album is mediocre and forgettable (at best). Shawn Mendes is a bigger rockstar than him at this point, but for some reason Harry is the one that is considered a legend in the making. All because he wears tacky suits and scream sings half-assed classic rock rip-offs into a microphone. He's also convinced Hollywood that he's a serious actor. It's ridiculous that someone who has been in one movie (in a role that is just this much more substantial than a cameo) is able to string Disney along because he also has an option to play Elvis in a movie for Warner Brothers. How did he become one of those men that's up for lead roles in every single movie? I'm aware this post sounds like an insane overreaction to something as meaningless as him getting cast as a Disney prince, and I've definitely spent more time thinking about him than I ever cared to. But the way he's somehow winked and smiled his way to the top tier of Hollywood while men and women of color have to struggle to even get an invite to the party, infuriates me to no end. He is the Logan Huntzberger of pop music.

by Anonymousreply 345August 7, 2019 8:04 AM

For me he could literally film the equivalent of Warhol's Empire if only the music is decent. I have to admit I'm nervous because SOTT was just such an amazing song imho and the rest of the album was wonderful too, so I'm kind of afraid it won't live up to my expectations, because the bar is set so high.

by Anonymousreply 346August 7, 2019 8:07 AM

R345 lol what drivel. Sounds 100 % like something from a tumblr blog. Among my favourite things: the fact that she (has to be a she) describes Shawn Mendes - of all people! - as bigger rock star lmao. I mean, if she'd said Jack White, okay. But Shawn Mendes? That's cute. Also "ridiculous" how he's "stringing Disney along". If anything it's the other way round, because if we take Aladdin as example, they tend to cast lesser known upcoming actors in their lead roles and Harry (no matter if you like him or not) is extremely well known. Of course Disney, being the business people they are, would love to have a nice box office draw for TLM. I also love how she basically admits she's displaying an insane overreaction based on her unhealthy obsession. And in the end (in true tumblr fashion) let's also make it about racism. Because Harry is the reason POC don't get the recognition they deserve? ... what a wild ride...

by Anonymousreply 347August 7, 2019 8:22 AM

But the fact that this post was so popular shows that apparently a lot of people get their knickers in a twist over him, for whatever reason. I don't know if it's for the aforementioned reasons in this thread (basically people with an axe to grind) or a popular opinion in general. I also wonder why they focus so much on "he never tweets" (wtf) and that he allegedly didn't have a bop. I guess a lot of people expected him to make way more radio friendly music after 1D? I didn't even know 1D's music and I haven't owned a radio in 15 years. For me his music is perfect, but I also freely admit I'm probably not a good gauge for what the usual pop audience likes. I'm also surprised on how much they focus on trivialities like twitter. Or how serious they take music journalism hyperbole. They get upset because some overeager journalists compared him to Bowie to get a "controversial" headline? Come on...

I was always more focused on hoping I personally will like HS2. It never really occurred to me that if it's similar to HS1 that it might not do "well" in the charts (at least well compared to 1Ds and the other boys' solo stuff). In the end I just hope he makes the music he wants to make. What's the benefit of having slaved away your teenage years in a boyband and becoming a multimillionaire if not being able to just do what you want to do without giving a fuck if you "beat" the Taylors, Arianas, Drakes and Shawns of the mainstream pop world.

by Anonymousreply 348August 7, 2019 8:50 AM

Going back to Liam, I really don't think we are getting an album from him at all and certainly not under his current label. I also think Icarus Falls was the last hurrah for Zayn under his label. Given that he also has no management I would say thats pretty much it from him unless he self releases. Niall is apparently attending a private event for his label today where future releases are showcased so his new stuff looks like its pretty imminent. Louis keeps promising but for me now both the 1d and XFActor hype have gone I just can't see anything he puts out being successful.

by Anonymousreply 349August 7, 2019 8:56 AM

I've lost a bit track of what Liam is doing right now, but I'm pretty sure we won't get any new music from him this year. Might actually be a good move to focus on his involvement with Hugo Boss for now, as both Harry and Niall will very likely release this year. Are there problems between Liam and his label? I have to admit I don't even know who he's signed to.

Louis has shared several photos of him being in the studio recently and I really believe his album is slowly coming together. It will be interesting where he takes it, because considering the slightly raspy tone of his voice and the kind of musical preferences he had in the early days of 1D, I'd have assumed he'd go into a somewhat 90s/early 2000s grungy rock direction or maybe pop punk. Instead his collabs where suddenly EDM pop. And then there were Miss You and Two of Us. Maybe he needed some time to figure out, what he wanted his album to sound like before he could actually record it. Is there an official reason why he hasn't released an album yet? Anyway, I wouldn't underestimate the pull both 1D and X-Factor still have. A lot of people will be curious about Louis' debut, especially since it was always said that of the boys he was the main songwriter in 1D. I think he has the potential to do quite well, especially within the UK and in Europe. The US market might be more difficult.

And Zayn.. no idea, no prediction. So much potential, you'd think a label is very reluctant to let him go. But I don't know in what state he is right now and how well the communication between him and the label is. I've recently read that apparently the concept of Icarus falls (which was bold and unusual and I like that, even though it's not my music) didn't pan out like Zayn wanted it, because of disagreements with the label. No idea if that's true, but it would explain a certain disillusionment on both sides, in addition to his other problems.

by Anonymousreply 350August 7, 2019 9:35 AM

The Louis stans who call themselves Radical Louies are really raging, accusing Sony of sabotaging Louis' career in order to make Harry look better. Clearly Sony have done the best they can with a guy who struggles vocally live, and has since 1d. He was fine for harmonies but not solo work and doesn't help his voice out much with his 40 a day cigarette habit.

by Anonymousreply 351August 7, 2019 10:04 AM

I liked HS1 a lot but I'm hoping he goes for a heavier, more indie sound on hs2. More songs like Kiwi and Medicine and fewer like Sweet Creature.

by Anonymousreply 352August 7, 2019 10:07 AM

R352 I just don't get the love for Kiwi. I just think its embarassingly awful. I get why the fans liked it because it was pretty much the only song both they and Harry could go mad to at the gigs but the lyrics? Kiwi and Only Angel are my least favourite songs on HS1. For me he needs more uptempo songs on the 2nd album but without the cringy lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 353August 7, 2019 10:25 AM

R351 But... they aren't even with the same record label, just their record labels have the same parent company? Their conspiracy theory hardly makes sense. I don't know if Louis is having a hard time with his record label, but it's extremely unlikely that it has anything at all to do with Harry. Not sure if he struggles vocally live, but he survived the 1D monster tours, so it can't be too bad. And it's not like Harry has stellar vocal technique, quite the contrary, it seems that he will cause some serious damage in the long run if he doesn't re-train (I'm saying this out of concern, because I feel like a frantic mother hen over Harry's precious voice). But yeah, smoking never helps, with nothing.

I hope his album comes together this year and he'll do fine, because then those crazies can finally shut up about Harry stealing Louis' limelight. Although they'll probably find something else, I suspect they really like their "underdog" narrative and maybe also their "saviour" role as loyal fans, who see his true worth. It seems to me that many Louis narratives have this "unfair victim" denominator - either because he's forcibly closeted by his label, suffering the cruelty of both a beard he can't stand and babygate, or because his management is incompetent and Harry is stealing his shine. The fact that Louis real life was so recently overshadowed by tragedy just enforces this poor Louis narrative. And there seems to be a lot of identification going on.

R352 Some people are hoping that Medicine will be on HS2, what do you think? I doubt it tbh, I think there will be completely new music, but I'd pay good money for a studio version of his Ultralight Beam cover. Imho it's one of the best things he's ever done (and only once, the bastard).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354August 7, 2019 10:27 AM

R353 Really? The lyrics of Kiwi are totally bonkers, sure, but they're such fun, perfect for singing along. The lyrics for Only Angel are less memorable, but I think the song has such a classic hard rock feeling, paired with a classic hard rock theme. In fact compared to most hard rock songs about women (and let's not even start with hip hop), the lyrics are extremely tame, I don't quite get the fuss.

by Anonymousreply 355August 7, 2019 10:36 AM

I like Kiwi and its eccentric lyrics. Another favourite is From the Dining Table and its confessional, self deprecating lyrics. In a world where urban artists spend every other song bragging about clothes, jewels, cars, houses and women, its refreshing to hear Harry 'woke up alone...played with myself...got drunk by noon...I never felt so cool.' He wanted to share with us 'how it felt to be in a hotel room all by myself, because I had chosen to be there.'

by Anonymousreply 356August 7, 2019 11:58 AM

My favorite lyrics are probably Kiwi (they stand out the most) and Ever Since New York. ESNY isn't even the slowest or most melancholic song of the album, but there's a desperation in it, that gets me.

by Anonymousreply 357August 7, 2019 12:39 PM

Harry just started following Yara Shahidi on instragram. She's an actress, a former co-star of Halle Bailey and looks wise she could very well play one of Ariel's sisters. If it means what I think it means, this is... bad. I can't believe he'll go through with that idiotic Disney movie. I managed to ignore it a bit among the anticipation for HS2, hoping it was just PR for the new album and that his schedule won't allow for it anyway. But apparently a lot of people think Disney will announce him being Prince Eric during the D23 expo on August 23-25. What a nightmare....

If HS2 goes into the direction R352 mentioned (heavier, more indie), I totally wanted to introduce his music to some of my rock-minded friends. Now they'll think I'm crazy if I try to get them to listen to the new Disney prince. The only ones who might be interested are maybe some of my younger female lesbian/bi friends as they are into corny musicals. But I mean, they are his core audience already. I can't believe he truly wants to firmly paint himself into such a corner and only play for screaming girls in their late teens/20s/maybe early 30s. Why would he willingly boycott his music career's longevity?

by Anonymousreply 358August 7, 2019 8:43 PM

R358, he tried to win the young male hipsters round in 2017 and then gave up. He's not a super cool shoe gazer or Matty Healy type anyway. He likes doing silly things like the Corden skits and the Kiwi video. He'd be excellent in a Hugh Gtant/Notting Hill type role.

Certainly his original 1d fan base are happy with him being Prince Eric, as are the lesbians and older fraus, and the black Harries who got pissed off with him about BLM.

by Anonymousreply 359August 7, 2019 9:53 PM

Niall has performed his new single "Nice to Meet Ya" (which will drop in September) at Capital Congress as well as "Put a Little Love on Me" with Greg Kurstin. He sounded really good! I think he has improved quite a lot since his 1D days. Personally I found his voice during 1D to be strong, but a bit squawky and not always great with pitch. Nowadays he's a solid singer, I suppose he had some vocal coaching in between? Good for him!

His new single was described by music journalist Jeff Benjamin as "90s/'00s rock vibes + a bit of soul and dance", which I find hard to picture to be honest. Especially the dance part. But I guess we'll see. So far Niall seems to do everything right with his solo career. He managed to take his 1D nice guy image and translate it into a more adult version of approachable, likeable guy (you can imagine having a pint and watching some sports with him) and his music fits that as well so far, even though personally it's not my music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360August 7, 2019 10:02 PM

R359 I wouldn't describe Matt Healy as super cool, but I guess I'm just too old for that. Also for the young male hipster crowd. In fact I guess I'm so old that I would assume that just focusing on your music and general artistic concept would automatically attract people, who are mostly interested in said music and artistic concept as well. I also don't get the point of "giving up" if it's just doing what you want, especially since usually you always need a second album do truly solidify your musical direction, but what do I know...

If you're right and he just gave up and wants to focus on to the remaining 1D fans, the fraus and lesbians and SJWs, I don't know... All these people are a rather fickle fan base: the 1D fans and fraus will focus a lot on his looks and to a certain extent his private life. And for all of them every perceived or real moral misstep will be a major problem - as well as not being vocal enough about whatever cause they want him to be vocal about (we've already seen this with the Palestine petition thing). And I hope for him that he doesn't turn out to be straight after all, because they would feel extremely betrayed by that. Every toxic fan behaviour that was discussed in this thread (and the other one) is basically rooted in this demographic.

What a waste, he had so much potential. I think I'll go look at some nice 2015 photos with his glorious long hair, ripped jeans, chelsea boots, energetic yet sexy stage performances and cheeky rock star vibe and just imagine he'd have continued in that vein, only with better music.

by Anonymousreply 361August 7, 2019 10:33 PM

Just wanted to add: 2015 Harry Styles would have participated in the Corden skits as well, he was always funny and up to silly things. I don't really see that connected with his apparently current choice of target demographic and Disney principality.

by Anonymousreply 362August 7, 2019 10:39 PM

R362, Eric isn't a huge role and we still don't know if he's got it. But the male fans never go for ex boybanders. They didn't got for Timberlake, Robbie Williams or Gary Barlow either. Harry can still have a very good, long career without them. Older 20s-50s fraus have plenty of money for merch/gig tickets and are always showing off their haul on Twitter. They're very loyal and unlikely to stray over the next twenty years or so. Harry is reliably hazy about his sexuality, although I still think he'll do a Bowie and marry a much younger woman in his 40s, then have about four kids like Mick did with Jerry Hall.

I did think at one point that Zayn had managed to attract the cool crowd, but sales of Icarus Falls suggest he didn't keep them. Young guys love to go to gigs and festivals and see their faves and Zayn hasn't appeared at any.

by Anonymousreply 363August 8, 2019 1:08 AM

The clip of Niall's song sounded like a combo of Lay All Your Love on Me by Abba and You Say it Best, When You Say Nothing At All by Ronan Keating, who Niall would love to be like.

by Anonymousreply 364August 8, 2019 2:33 AM

Can't really hear ABBA, but I can see the Ronan Keating comparison! It seems to be a beautiful song though and fitting for Niall.

by Anonymousreply 365August 8, 2019 3:28 AM

R360 Everything you mentioned about Niall is true. He's doing everything the right way. Let's make a deal to meet here in ten years and see who holds on the longest with a serious career in music. My moneys on Niall.

by Anonymousreply 366August 8, 2019 6:03 AM

R366 It's certainly the right way for him. Might not be the right way for someone else. For example I couldn't picture Liam or even Harry going the Niall way. Or Zayn lmao. It would backfire, because they have all so different personalities (that's why they were chosen for the group), so for everyone the "ideal" career path has to look different.

In the end I wish all the boys a long career that lasts for the next 10 years and longer. It's not a competition. And who knows what will be in 10 years, maybe they'll even be 1D again by then. Or Zayn will have a public breakdown in the meantime, followed by a wonderful recovery/redemption story and become the new Robert Downey Jr. of music (and name his legendary 2029 comeback album "Iron Man").

by Anonymousreply 367August 8, 2019 6:22 AM

R367 No, it never has been a competition , and I certainly didn't mean that. But, I think the slow steady approach will get Niall far in the music biz.

by Anonymousreply 368August 8, 2019 7:23 AM

Harry and Niall's approach was very similar from a commercial perspective. Each guy released an album in singer songwriter mode in 2017, before the 1d buzz had faded. Retro feel to both albums. Both albums a mixture of ballads and more rocky sounds.

Each went on a short tour to test the waters in Autumn 17 followed by a bigger tour in 2018. Both had TV ads, huge billboards internationally, plenty of radio and TV promo.

Niall is of course more accessible and friendly on social media, but that can occasionally backfire, as happened tonight when he said the 1d management company, Modest, were 'amazing' and got attacked by dozens of Larries wailing 'but they closeted Lou-eeeeeee'. He also goes to a few more events than Harry, but nowhere near as many as Liam.

Liam should also have released an album in summer 17 to capitalise on the success of Strip That Down. An album packed with Ibiza pool party songs similar to STD would have sold well, but he seems to have lost his chance.

by Anonymousreply 369August 8, 2019 7:57 AM

Harry was photographed by an angry local café owner filming another video in a Scottish harbour. The café owner was so angry that a barricade was preventing traffic to his café that he melted down on Twitter, screaming out Harry's exact location and cursing him out for 'ruining' his trade for that day. Quite funny. His account has now been suspended though, which isn't amusing.

Louis' interview with 1883 magazine came out and his fans were very disappointed to learn that his album has been postponed yet again and won't be out until 2020.

by Anonymousreply 370August 9, 2019 12:45 AM

R369 You're right, from a technical perspective both Harry and Niall had a very similar career tajectory so far, that's also why their second albums will probably be released at a similar time (I'd say September/October?).

But their image is rather different and I'd also say their music, Niall is more contemporary (there are some beats, some 1D sounding stuff etc) and folksy, which is kind of contemporary as well considering for example Ed Sheeran's success. Harry's album combines more different styles imho (which is why some people don't find it as cohesive) and not as contemporary, even apart from the retro influences, because sometimes the feel and structure is more... idk.. I hesitate to say experimental, because then people might think I'm comparing his music to Portico Quartet or whatnot, but for example you couldn't really play a song like From the Dining Table on the radio nowadays, because the structure alone (without a real refrain) is not what you'd expect.

I think it's interesting (and I just realised that because I was listening into Niall's album while writing this) that Niall's persona/brand AND music probably changed the least from his One Direction days. Zayn, Liam and Harry went on and made completely different music than One Direction and also showed a very different personal style. Louis has made songs in different genres and didn't change much looks wise, so it's hard to say.

And Niall.. sure he grew up and doesn't need to be the bleached blond, cute boy anymore, but he's still golf-loving, relaxed Niall with a great laugh and Irish charm, who tweets with fans. And if I imagine the songs of his album with other instruments and some harmonies from the other boys, a lot could have been on the later One Direction albums. My knowledge of 1D songs is limited, but for example This Town is not that dissimilar to Little Things, On the Loose sounds a bit like What a Feeling, Too Much to Ask would also work as 1D song (maybe in the vein of Moments?) etc. I think he also wrote his debut album with 1D's songwriter Julian Bunetta? So I think it's understandable, that a big part of the 1D fanbase might like Niall's solo music most and also enjoy the "old 1D feel" with him.

by Anonymousreply 371August 9, 2019 1:05 AM

'I hesitate to say experimental..'

No, I think that's the right word, within the 1d context. Meet Me in the Hallway, so minimal, was deliberately positioned as Track One to announce that this was something new. Same with Woman and FTDT and Kiwi. Although Woman borrowed from Benny and the Jets and Kiwi from The White Stripes, all three were starkly different from the 1d sound.

Niall worked with four of the 1d songwriters, which is why his album sounded the most like a sixth 1d album. I do think Julian Bunetta in particular is an excellent songwriter, and he did the writing and production of Slow Hands, Niall's most successful single. Niall has the same four (Bunette, Jamie Scott, John Ryan and Ruth Anne Cunningham) for nh2.

by Anonymousreply 372August 9, 2019 1:13 AM

R369 The whole Niall twitter thing was quite... entertaining, I have to admit. These people who tell Niall "but have you forgotten how horrible and abusive they were!!!111" and I mean... he was there, they were not? He also chose to continue to work with them for his golf stuff, so if the image of Modest as the big bad management overlords were true, he'd be a very troubled young man in a concerning state of mind.

I think a lot of the fans aren't very good in differentiating some of the basics of this business and general boyband rules from how management specifically treated them. Of course the Larries cite their bs conspiracy theories, but there were also Zstans and general 1D fans involved in Niall's twitter "scandal". They mostly say that 1D were boxed into their "roles", stressed out and overworked and had to deal with mental problems. And yeah, it's probably all true, but I think it also comes with the territory. Boybands (and girlbands) live off the fact that each member has a different personality, a "brand" and altogether they display a certain brotherhood and good cheer. Liam has pointed out in interviews that at times it felt like a "mask" of good cheer he had to put on and I'm certain they had to deal with a good portion of backstage fights and disagreements while still appearing like really good friends on the outside. But the problem is that the 1D fans certainly wouldn't have liked to see a bunch of tired, disgruntled young men, who just had a fight behind the stage and couldn't care less about singing the same 15 "generic" (to cite Zayn) songs they already sang at the previous 60 concerts of their tour. I don't see what management could have done about that. Maybe it would have been easier if they slowed down the pace and played less concerts. But without that they might not be multimillionaires now. The first few years were essential for building the 1D fandom and they all worked hard for it with all the interviews, albums, tours, events, the film, social media etc. But it ensured a more or less constant stream of content - the fans didn't just buy an album and after a while forgot about the band, because they were seemingly always there with new stuff, so people loved seeing what's next. And I think from 2014 on it was clear that they wouldn't exist forever - Zayn wanted out, Harry wanted to go solo etc. So I think they kept the insane pace during the last 2 years mainly to get it over with and not drag it out.

And all the other problems (too much money, too many drugs, losing old friends, struggling to stay grounded, anxiety, dealing with the press etc.), that's just the music business, especially when you enter it so young.

But sure, it's ALL Modest management's fault! Because Zayn couldn't dye his hair green, those villains! How abusive! lol Honestly I'd keep my hair in any style they want if it would ensure me the income the 1D boys had.

All in all I think Modest actually did a fairly good job considering that we still hardly know any real tea about the rivalries and rifts within the band or any drug scandals beyond that weed video (it still surprises me that the press hardly mentioned the cocaine talk in this video). They also kept the whole Zayn & Harry ordering groupie girls into their hotel room thing fairly quiet. And they managed to maintain the 1D brand throughout the years while allowing the boys to gradually display a more mature and cool image, but still nice and without stupid stunts like The Wanted for example.

by Anonymousreply 373August 9, 2019 2:08 AM

Does anyone have a link to a full version/scan of Louis' interview?

by Anonymousreply 374August 9, 2019 2:10 AM

[QUOTE] But sure, it's ALL Modest management's fault! Because Zayn couldn't dye his hair green, those villains! How abusive! lol Honestly I'd keep my hair in any style they want if it would ensure me the income the 1D boys had.

These boys would have faced more restrictions outside 1d. Most employers have a dress code and object to green or purple hair. I don't think anyone in 1d was particularly academic and, if not for 1d, they would most likely be saddled with student debt and struggling to get a meaningful first job.

by Anonymousreply 375August 9, 2019 3:26 AM

[QUOTE] Does anyone have a link to a full version/scan of Louis' interview?

Look on the tumblr blog louisgalaxy.

by Anonymousreply 376August 9, 2019 3:28 AM

Apparently Harry was working with director Dave Meyers (he has done videos for Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar, Billie Eilish, Ariana Grande ...) in Scotland. Seems like what he shot in Cancun is a different music video than what he did in Scotland? Interesting... Seeing the pap photos from the set in Scotland and the fact that Haycock directed it, I think it will be more my thing. The stuff from Scotland looks rather trippy and very 60s vibes. Reminds me that Mark Ronson likely had a hand in HS2 and I'm not sure if that's my jam.

by Anonymousreply 377August 9, 2019 10:56 PM

Meyers also made the video for Ed Sheeran's and Travis Scott's Antisocial, which is one of the weirdest music videos ever.

by Anonymousreply 378August 9, 2019 11:12 PM

My wish for HS2 was that he'd release a visual album and it could be happening!

by Anonymousreply 379August 10, 2019 12:20 AM

I really think Harry will release a visual album at some point. Maybe HS2, maybe it's not before his third or fourth album, but I can see it happening in the future.

by Anonymousreply 380August 10, 2019 3:24 AM

I think Liam is finally headed in the right direction. He was always the most ambitious, I don't think he's going to give up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381August 10, 2019 8:30 AM

I really liked Liam's last single, Polaroid. His EP sold so badly, though.

by Anonymousreply 382August 10, 2019 9:38 AM

R381 He looks and sounds good here! I don't think he'll give up either. I also don't think that the fact it's been some time since 1D is as much of a problem for his (and Louis') debut album as some people make it out to be. The boys are still all pretty well known and people like hearing news about them, I think. The only issue I see is that all of his bigger hits (like For You, which was imho his best song) are collabs. Once he was on his own on the EP, he wasn't as successful. But maybe it was the EP format, which I think was a bit of a mistake. I feel waiting a bit to have a proper album with a proper roll-out and according promo would have been better.

I think he's doing further stuff with Hugo Boss, would be good for him to take the momentum from whatever future campaign he'll do and release an album shortly after.

by Anonymousreply 383August 10, 2019 1:00 PM

Yes, he looks good and can still sing.

by Anonymousreply 384August 10, 2019 11:52 PM

My problem with Liam is that he finds it quite hard to express emotion when he's singing. Yes, his voice is technically excellent but it lacks the light and shade that we find in Zayn and Harry's songs. If you compare him to another technically excellent singer like George Michael, who expresses emotion so well (even as a very young man) the difference is stark.

I used to think it was because Liam had lived a charmed life without losses or heartache, but then the love of his life, Sophia, split with him and his relationship with Cheryl failed too. He's a dad too, but still seems to skate over the surface musically.

by Anonymousreply 385August 11, 2019 3:02 AM

He's been back to smiling a lot lately. Maybe he's tired of the moody, homeless look. I really hope so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386August 11, 2019 4:17 AM

R385 That's a good point, I didn't quite realise it, but you're right. Harry and Zayn can both convey emotion really well with their singing, Liam less so. But considering this, I think it's wise of him to choose the genre he chose. Even a romantic song like For You is rather upbeat and doesn't require that much emotional impact.

R386 Oh Harry.... he looks like he had a good time in the recent fan photos, but wtf is he wearing! I want to burn these clothes, not even my grandpa would wear them. Hopefully.

by Anonymousreply 387August 11, 2019 8:18 AM

R387 He needs to move on from Gucci. Quickly.

by Anonymousreply 388August 11, 2019 10:08 AM

I much preferred his Hedi Slimane phase. His legs are too good to be hidden by giant flared, tweed trousers. I don't see why he needs to wear Gucci or any designer for his music video shoots.

If he is in TLM, they will style him to look as young and attractive as possible, so he'll have a fringe, darker and longer hair and non grandad gear.

by Anonymousreply 389August 11, 2019 10:51 AM

R388 I'm not sure if it's only Gucci or just his stylist. Or Harry himself. Because he wore Marni for the video shoot in Scotland and looked somewhat grandfatherly in that as well. It was slightly better, because the flared tweed trousers weren't corduroy and the shirt and sweater vest/polo were form fitting. But the fact that I'm typing "flared tweed trousers" and "sweater vest" doesn't exactly say young & sexy.

R389 That's the only positive thing I can see about TLM - he'll have to dress at least a little bit more mainstream and he'll do tons of promo/interviews. A thin silver lining. Not sure if they will change his hair, though. I mean, they have a black Ariel, so I don't think they are overly concerned with the characters looking EXACTLY the same as in the animated film. Harry also has green eyes instead of Eric's striking blue eyes.

by Anonymousreply 390August 11, 2019 11:16 AM

Harry was wearing his 3 inch heeled boots on both shoots. He really does want to be 6 ft 2. The heels make his legs look long but shorten his upper body.

by Anonymousreply 391August 11, 2019 12:48 PM

R390 It probably has a lot to do with his stylist. He has a whole group of people helping him put forth a certain image and I wish they would start over. He picked his own cloth during 1D, let him do it again.

by Anonymousreply 392August 12, 2019 5:42 AM

R392 I'm not sure if he really did pick his own clothing during 1D. I mean in the beginning Caroline Watson chose all the clothes for all the boys, there's even this video of Harry complaining about a trench coat and she's like "that's the Harry Styles look, get over it". She has also talked about how Zayn didn't want to wear a golden Alexander McQueen belt in 2014, but she kind of forced him and he was "it looked good" afterwards. So I'd say until 2014 Caroline had a firm grip on their styling - maybe mostly on red carpets, but we don't really know just how much of their casual styles she did as well.

We also know that Harry Lambert entered the picture while Harry was still in 1D. I don't know when exactly (anyone got info on this?), but I know that Zayn took Caroline with him, when he left 1D, so I reckon after that in early 2015. And Harry Lambert has said that Harry's Gucci floral suit at the American Music Awards 2015 was chosen by him. I guess the red floral suit at X Factor that year as well. So yeah, the Gucci obsession probably started with Harry Lambert.

Reportedly Harry is pretty involved in his styling, Harry Lambert has said he does mood boards as well and brings them to meetings and such. So maybe he just has a shit fashion taste? lol But tbh I've looked at Harry Lambert's instagram and I'm not a fan of his other stylings either. And this new stylist he had with him in Scotland has pretty questionable taste as well imho.

As a gay man myself I hate saying this, but I feel the gays sometimes get a bit lost in their high fashion bubble. They are very involved in all these cutting edge looks and I don't think it translates that well for the general public. If we compare the looks of Harry's stylists when they are not styling Harry (to rule out any possible influence he might have on his styling) and for example Caroline's looks for solo Zayn... I mean...

by Anonymousreply 393August 12, 2019 6:30 AM

I just saw that some pictures of Liam shooting a music video for a new song leaked... so I guess it's possible all of the 1D boys release new music until the end of the year? Niall already announced it, Harry seems likely, Liam is doing something as well and Louis has said his album comes out next year, but he might release a single before that.

by Anonymousreply 394August 12, 2019 6:32 AM

R393 They picked their stuff while on tour. Probably from a bunch of clothes provided to them, but they did pick a lot of stuff themselves.

I'm sure you're right, the red carpet looks were probably not chosen by them. And to be honest, they were hit or miss.

I think Harry Lambert came on a after the Azoffs came sniffing around and everything went to hell.

We all have to remember that just because something is in style or trendy, it might not look good on you. Sad but true.

by Anonymousreply 395August 12, 2019 7:49 AM

I think the Azoffs have been in the picture since 2013, right? That's interesting, because I think 2014/15 Harry was actually great and he definitely laid the groundwork for going solo back then. However I have a hard time gauging what is actually the Azoff's work (back in 1D and afterwards) and what comes from Harry himself. And if their work was good or bad for Harry. Why do you think everything went to hell due to them?

by Anonymousreply 396August 12, 2019 8:08 AM

Liam is bringing in the big guns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397August 12, 2019 8:24 AM

R396 " However I have a hard time gauging what is actually the Azoff's work (back in 1D and afterwards) and what comes from Harry himself. "

Very true. And that is sad.

by Anonymousreply 398August 12, 2019 8:30 AM

R398 I don't think it's sad, it's just the way the music business works. I mean, it's the same with One Direction, we also don't know what really came from the boys themselves and what was something that was played up by their mangement.

But I rather meant what was the Azoff's work in terms of market positioning and such, e.g. did Harry have the biggest solo career after 1D because he was always "the one" (you know, every boyband has a Justin Timberlake, Robbie Williams, Ronan Keating etc.) or was it the result of the careful groundwork the Azoffs laid since 2013/14?

I do think there were some PR mistakes during the roll-out of Harry's debut album (e.g. I think he was hyped up too much with the whole next Bowie/Jagger thing, although I really don't know if this is actual Azoff work or if the music journalists just liked having a juicy headline that ensured many clicks), but I really don't think you can say it "went to hell". Because all sartorial critique aside, it's not like his career is dead in the water.

by Anonymousreply 399August 12, 2019 9:01 AM

R397 Ouch, that headline! "revive" "chart fail" "comeback" ... they don't pull punches, right?

It seems to me that Ed Sheeran was always a bit the 1D secret weapon. In the beginning, when their songs tended to be a bit too vacuous teeny pop rock, he jumped in and wrote them Little Things, which provided them with a nice little ballad that became a fav during live shows. Same with 18. Now he helps out Liam...

by Anonymousreply 400August 12, 2019 9:08 AM

Just finished reading the article and it says the single will come out end of August - so it seems Liam is trying for the Grammys 2020 with Ed's help? Ed is "big guns" as R397 said, so it will be interesting. I don't think Liam would have a shot at the Grammys by himself.

by Anonymousreply 401August 12, 2019 9:11 AM

I don't like all of solo Harry's styling choices, but I don't think he would have fared that much better if he were left on his own. I think Harry without stylist would look pretty much like him in Japan and that's ... not that great. The ugly baker boy hat seems to be a favorite of his, he wears it a lot during downtime. I also remember the extremly ugly purple sneakers he had during X Factor, I think.

Contrary to that his wardrobe during Dunkirk promo was great and I'm sure his stylist also oversaw that. So Lambert can actually dress Harry, if he consciously tones it down a bit.

A lot also depends on Harry's hair and that's not Lambert's responsibility. It seems to grow really fast and sometimes it enters this weird stage where it just looks unkempt. During his tour it was like that that most of the time and the worst (because also too long) was at the Stevie Nicks inauguration - in combination with the unfitting blue suit, it was easily one of his worst looks.

Best hair was (again) during Dunkirk promo, he really needs to keep a proper cut when he wears his hair short. Or let it fully grow out again, but I don't think that will happen, because it would be too reminiscent of his 1D style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402August 12, 2019 9:33 AM

From his tour outfits I think this one (Basel, Switzerland) is the best one, it's a bit extra with the ruffles and the sparkle, but it's not too much and the black suits him. His hair cut is decent as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403August 12, 2019 9:38 AM

[QUOTE] We also know that Harry Lambert entered the picture while Harry was still in 1D. I don't know when exactly (anyone got info on this?), but I know that Zayn took Caroline with him.

Lambert appears in the Perfect video which came out in November 15.

[QUOTE] Why do you think everything went to hell due to them?

In 2015 Harry had a rep as a superficial womaniser. The NME had voted him Villain of the Year two years running. He wanted to be taken a lot more seriously by the music press, and the Azoffs accomplished that for him.

Rolling Stone cover, Cameron Crowe 3k word interview, interviewing Paul McCartney for Another Man, interviewing Chalamet for iD magazine, inducting Stevie Nicks into the hall of fame.

The goal was never to be a Timbelake with big commercial, chart topping singles. If he'd wanted that, Columbia would have employed a completely different band and production team for HS1.

by Anonymousreply 404August 12, 2019 9:45 AM

[QUOTE] I don't think Liam would have a shot at the Grammys by himself.

Liam also had Sheeran as a songwriter on his first single Strip That Down. It's weird to see Liam go back to wearing heavy gold chains, especially as he's recently renounced that look in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 405August 12, 2019 9:48 AM

[QUOTE] I don't think Liam would have a shot at the Grammys by himself.

Liam also had Sheeran as a songwriter on his first single Strip That Down. It's weird to see Liam go back to wearing heavy gold chains, especially as he's recently renounced that look in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 406August 12, 2019 9:49 AM

Harry should show his ass to liven things up.

by Anonymousreply 407August 12, 2019 11:21 AM

This was made subscription only but now it's back to normal.

by Anonymousreply 408August 12, 2019 11:24 AM

This was one of my fave looks for Harry. 2014 AMAs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409August 12, 2019 11:28 AM

If this gets paywalled, the next we can use is called 'Favorite One Direction Member, Post One Direction'.

by Anonymousreply 410August 12, 2019 11:31 AM

If this gets paywalled, the next we can use is called 'Favorite One Direction Member, Post One Direction'.

by Anonymousreply 411August 12, 2019 11:31 AM

He has.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412August 12, 2019 11:41 AM

R404 It's true the Azoffs seem to have opened doors for him in the music industry that I guess would have stayed closed for a former boyband member otherwise. But fans still seem to be divided over the Azoffs, I think a lot of them think they have too much influence over him? I don't know. It's pure speculation though, we really don't know how much influence the Azoffs or anyone else have over him. But Harry seems to be part-owner of his management company through his assistant. It's a rather complicated legal construct, but there's a partnership between a company where his assistant is director and Full Stop Managment. I'm no expert, but it seems like a smart move to me, because it ensures a certain level of involvement on this side of the business and gives him more control than talent usually has over their management, I guess?

I honestly think a lot of Azoff critics are fans of other 1D members, who think that their favourites weren't give the same chances and opportunities. Or maybe 1D fans, who don't like that Harry has moved beyond 1D in the past few years.

R410 Thanks for the suggestion! And yes, I agree that Harry was never meant to be a Justin Timberlake. I just mentioned him, because usually out of a boyband there's one member who goes on and has a solo career, whereas the others fade into obscurity. Justin was NSYNC's "one".

But I honestly think One Direction has the potential to break this boyband curse. Maybe in five years not all of them will have a career, but I can see at least Harry and Niall doing well and maybe Zayn too, if he gets his act together. With Liam and Louis it remains to be seen, but they're not without potential.

by Anonymousreply 413August 12, 2019 11:48 AM

Harry's best look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414August 12, 2019 11:53 AM

R397 The comments under Liam's article are brutal! I mean, it's the Mirror, but still....

by Anonymousreply 415August 12, 2019 11:54 AM

Oh dear, the Louis fans are spitting mad because there's a fan video of him receiving his Teen Choice Award yesterday and you can hear two girls talking, one said something like "he's one of the lesser known ones" (of 1D) and the other "he's not Harry Styles". Ouch.

That's not exactly helping things in the fandom since a certain subset of Louis stans already developed this crazy conspiracy theory that his label RCA is consciously holding him back to further Harry's career, although he's with Columbia records. I'm not sure just how capable Louis' management is, but I'm very certain whatever the case is, it has nothing to do with Harry. Apparently Louis was seen talking to people of Universal Music and I really wish he would sign with them, just to get this stupid "Sony holds him back" thing out of the world.

I think victimising Louis is such a disservice to him. Apart from the personal tragedies he had since the end of 1D, which I'm sure are a factor in his schedule, I think he said that he already had a lot of songs, but scrapped them because he realised it wasn't the direction he wanted to go into musically? I actually respect this decision, much better than putting something out you can't stand behind. I don't get why his fans don't see him as someone making a conscious decision to take his time and instead love to see him as the poor, poor victim, who can't get his management and record label to work for him, who is forcibly closeted for nearly a decade now, who can't see his son or was forced to pretend some random kid is his own son, who is treated badly by everyone and basically... a doormat? They are infantilising him.

by Anonymousreply 416August 12, 2019 12:23 PM

[QUOTE] That's not exactly helping things in the fandom since a certain subset of Louis stans already developed this crazy conspiracy theory that his label RCA is consciously holding him back to further Harry's career, although he's with Columbia records.

Louis' labels are Syco in the UK and Arista in the US. RCA is Zayn's. Agree that a lot of Louis' fans do seem to think he's being 'sabotaged', which is a bizarre theory. If Sony had been set on sabotage they wouldn't have signed him themselves, and would have spread rumours to ensure other labels steered clear too.

Some 1d fans even think Zayn is being held back and sabotaged so that the fans all focus on Harry. For some reason the fandom has always been a hotbed of conspiracies.

by Anonymousreply 417August 12, 2019 12:59 PM

R417 Ah, thank you for the correction! Syco is even better, because I'm sure someone extremely vain and competitive like Simon Cowell would love to have the most successful 1D member under his wings, so there's absolutely no reason to think he'd hold back for anyone else. Not that there would be a reason for any other record label, they are businesses after all, but you know what I mean.

Haven't heard yet of the Zayn theory, ugh. I could understand it more if these theories would come from frustrated 16 year olds, who don't know any better and make stuff up. It's still weird, but hey, brain development isn't yet finished as a teenager. But a lot of truthers are middle-aged women in their 40s and 50s.

by Anonymousreply 418August 12, 2019 1:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!