Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The utter insanity of Brexit continues...

Can you imagine that a Conservative Prime Minister would prorogue (terminate the current session) so that it couldn't vote against a no-deal Brexit in order to crash out of the EU?

Yes, I can imagine that this Tory party, for which polls show is willing to enact almost any damage to the Union for Brexit, would do so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2019 3:18 AM

This comment nails it:

[quote]2016 - We just want British Parliament to be sovereign.

[quote]2019 - We must suspend Parliament.

If I hear one more fucking time how the EU is undemocratic while the UK is a bastion of democracy...

by Anonymousreply 1July 10, 2019 11:24 AM

Great Britain is coming to a fork in the road.

by Anonymousreply 2July 10, 2019 11:25 AM

It’s a Russian plot to promote this. Brexit will cripple and impoverish large parts of the UK, and it will take 10 or more years to return to normal, if ever.

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2019 1:13 AM

Wasn’t there a vote for Parliament a few months ago, which was widely considered a second referendum that favors Brexit, in larger numbers that the first vote. No?

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2019 1:15 AM

r4 Those were the European elections and no, it's not widely considered as anything because it's hard to break down complex party positions and individual candidates into a strictly pro or against Brexit stance, especially the Tories and the Labour. You can divide those results differently, depending on which side of the argument you happen to support.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2019 1:18 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2019 1:20 AM

R7, why? What’s the problem? I understand it’s all about immigrants?

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2019 1:56 AM

I'm a Yank, but I have read that Boris is at least intelligent, which has totally never, ever been said about Trump. Still, I don't doubt that he could be a total Fuckup. But is there any hope at all that he might actually pull this bullshit together, Brits, or is the whole thing a lost cause?

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2019 1:58 AM

R9, Boris wants Brexit and Brexit by definition is a fuck up. He may get a deal (I believe he actually will) so we don't slide out of the EU with a crash, but just being out of the EU will be hugely damaging to the UK.

Boris isn't intelligent. He's just from a privileged background which makes him sound a certain way and likes to play a certain affected role but I wouldn't say he's intelligent. His time as Foreign Secretary, where if he had any political judgement and skills then that's when they would be seen, was a disaster.

Forget the whole Mayor of London stuff. It's still a very new position in the UK with limited powers compared to mayors in cities like New York or Paris. He didn't have to do much in terms of policy, it was more public relations, all he did was his stupid bumbling Boris act, and he only won because the Labour candidate was even worse (Ken Livingstone both times, who is such an anti-Semitic lunatic he had to be permanently suspended from even Jeremy Corbyn's Labour party)

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2019 2:09 AM

Lawrence O’Donnell is slaying Johnson and Brexit. Also calls it Putin’s work.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2019 2:43 AM

The British Ministry of Defense was recently the largest purchaser of refrigerators worldwide, because they wanted to stockpile medication, to prepare for Brexit.

Another “win” for Putin. Forget Iran, we should be lobbing bombs at Moscow.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2019 2:47 AM

Can I just say that John Major looks 1000% better now than he did when he was Prime Minister?

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2019 3:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!