Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New Whitney Houston Song Released!

Seven years after her death, the pop diva has landed her first new single on the American chart in 10 years with her posthumous Kygo collaboration “Higher Love” — a previously unreleased rework of her 1990 cover of Steve Winwood’s 1986 hit, featuring contemporary electronic production. It debuts at No. 63 on the publication’s weekly ranking of the nation’s most commercially successful songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 28, 2019 6:21 AM

What did they do to her voice on the track? It sounds like a Whitney "soundalike."

I know the vocals were recorded in the early 90s, but it also sounds "like" her early 80s voice.

by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2019 7:20 PM

Ok song but it's easy to understand why this was never released in her lifetime

by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2019 8:14 PM

What an amazing voice she had. This song's a little overproduced but I'm glad to have it.

Apparently it was released in Japan decades ago

by Anonymousreply 3July 10, 2019 2:37 PM

will never be a big hit

by Anonymousreply 4July 10, 2019 8:18 PM

Screechy. Hard pass. Prefer Winwood and Chaka.

by Anonymousreply 5July 10, 2019 8:27 PM

the Winwood version is a classic

I wish Whitney would have done what she did with I WIll Always Love You to other songs.

She did a version of You Light up My Life but it was too late in her career to register

by Anonymousreply 6July 10, 2019 8:31 PM

If this song gains traction and becomes a bonafide hit, someone hide the razors around Madame X!

by Anonymousreply 7July 10, 2019 9:52 PM

Ew, the vocals are okay, but it sounds spare and unfinished. And kinda irritating.

The Chaka Khan version is perfection, and is still played regularly.

It seems Pat Houston is the Grande Dame of the Whitney legacy now. Probably not a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 8July 10, 2019 10:13 PM

Not a fan of this remix - it sounds too generic and unfinished. A better DJ treatment could help...

by Anonymousreply 9July 10, 2019 10:18 PM

Are the lyrics

*gurgle* *gurgle*?

by Anonymousreply 10July 10, 2019 10:40 PM

She is still dead though, right?

by Anonymousreply 11July 10, 2019 10:42 PM

I'm surprised her label never reissued the original version of Higher Love either before or after her death. The studio recording was only available as a bonus track on the Japanese CD release of I'm Your Baby Tonight. Seems like it would have been a natural to include a "new" song on one of her compilations to increase sales. I couldn't find the original studio recording but here's a live version from a 1990 concert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 10, 2019 10:54 PM

Songwriter Will Jennings is also responsible for Winwood's "Valerie."

Texas boy.

by Anonymousreply 13July 10, 2019 11:15 PM

It’s just a bit unfortunate they’d wait so long to release a new song by her, and it’s “Higher Love” - considering she died of a drug overdose.

by Anonymousreply 14July 11, 2019 12:35 AM

Creepy stunt. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 15July 11, 2019 12:51 AM

So it was junk she never wanted to see the light of day, her heirs needed to release because the blew thru all their inheritance.

by Anonymousreply 16July 11, 2019 3:38 AM

R12, thank you for posting.

I bet the original recorded version is much better than the current, over-produced one.

The USA Women's Soccer Team played it in the background during the NYC ticker tape parade

by Anonymousreply 17July 11, 2019 3:47 PM

r17, the original recorded version is steeped in early 90s production so the sound is very dated. The live version is better with the more prominent gospel chorus and live band so it doesn't sound quite so Casio-programmed.

by Anonymousreply 18July 12, 2019 12:12 AM

How is it possible the original 1986 version sounds fresher and more current than either the 1990 vocals and its 2019 production?

by Anonymousreply 19July 12, 2019 12:58 AM

R19 Winwood is a musician who plays all of his own instruments; Houston was one hell of a singer. She didn’t write music or do her own arrangements. But the woman could make a song live and breathe better than almost any other singer of the era.

I don’t love what she did, but I don’t hate it. I prefer Winwood, but I’ve always preferred Winwood since Spencer Davis Group. That’s my bias and I respect the opinion of others.

by Anonymousreply 20July 12, 2019 1:53 AM

r19, even with the state of music being what it is these days, I think the Steve Winwood/Chaka version of Higher Love could be released in 2019 and still chart. It is such a great soul/pop-rock gem.

I think the Whitney remix could benefit from a touch of that “Winwood” arrangement to give it a fresher sound. Not an exact dupe mind you, it just needs a layer of grittiness to modernize the track.

by Anonymousreply 21July 14, 2019 11:51 AM

R21 Oh, god yes. That's perfect.

by Anonymousreply 22July 14, 2019 5:21 PM

Even though some may criticize this song, her vocals clearly blow out today's singers. I'm sorry but Ariana Grande sounds like a whiny dog compared to Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 23July 14, 2019 5:33 PM

It’s good but would of done better if it had just been marketed as Whitney but a KYGO remix. He billed himself equal to her, please Gurl!

by Anonymousreply 24July 14, 2019 6:06 PM

I was always surprised Whitney did a cover of a song that was only about 3 years old at the time she recorded it.

by Anonymousreply 25July 14, 2019 7:53 PM

[quote]Winwood is a musician who plays all of his own instruments; Houston was one hell of a singer. She didn’t write music or do her own arrangements. But the woman could make a song live and breathe better than almost any other singer of the era.

Interesting you say that when those who worked with her always stated that she didn't take credit for her arrangements. This is one of the better articles about the artistry of Whitney Houston, a very good read. Race, unfortunately, played into how she was perceived.

[quote]The first challenge to Houston’s legacy arrived in the early nineties, in the form of Mariah Carey, who, from the very beginning of her career, with her constant vocal runs and obsessive flurry of hands, took certain “black” singing habits to extremes. These were habits that Houston—having been shaped by traditional gospel and its conservative nature, and by her cousin Dionne Warwick’s elegantly restrained performance style—largely eschewed. Despite Carey’s caricature of black stylistics and her mixed racial background, the skin-color difference between her and Houston managed to bring out America’s racism. Houston was subject to the singer’s version of the black athlete’s curse: as the daughter of the gospel great Cissy Houston and a cousin of Dionne, Whitney was regarded as all instinct and natural gifts, whereas Mariah, arranger and songwriter, had a brain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2019 10:51 AM

I hear the song a lot on the radio but in a better version than the one originally posted here. They must have remastered it again to make it sound less hollow.

Glad to hear Whitney on top 40 radio again!

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2019 12:32 PM

It's a top 5 hit in the U.K.

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2019 3:42 PM

Andy Cohen anointed this the song of the summer. Old queen.

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2019 3:46 PM

R26, on the back of the Whitney album, it says "Vocal Arrangements by Whitney Houston"

by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2019 4:08 PM

She gets vocal arrangement credit on every album since her second, including The Bodyguard. But the perception that she didn't have a clue and just showed up and sung remained. From that same article:

[quote]This was unfair to Houston. I worked for the choreographer Debbie Allen at the Oscars in 1999, when Houston and Carey sang their middling hit “When You Believe,” from “The Prince of Egypt.” Late into a night of rehearsals on the evening before the broadcast, it was discovered, by Houston, that the arrangement wasn’t working, and the rehearsal ground to a halt. (Houston had missed the first day of rehearsal and had shown up so late the next day that her run-through with Carey was pushed to the end of the session.) With none of the musicians in the hall (including Bill Conti, the longtime conductor of Oscars ceremony) able to riddle out a solution, Houston identified the offending chords for the orchestra and created a new arrangement on the spot. The room watched her in awe.

There are plenty of stories like this.

by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2019 4:52 PM

R26. Thank you. You have made my day. I have honestly been in love with Whitney Houston since the very first time I heard her sing. That she was a musician as well is an important part of her story that must be told.

by Anonymousreply 32August 18, 2019 9:12 PM

Clive Davis got all the success for her success. But truth is she would've exploded with anyone else. Clive Spent three decades trying to find another Whitney but it never happened.

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2019 1:23 PM

It's difficult, R33. We've been looking 8 years trying to find ANYBODY.

by Anonymousreply 34August 20, 2019 3:27 AM

*Clive got all the CREDIT for her success.

by Anonymousreply 35August 21, 2019 6:17 AM

Music Video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 28, 2019 4:19 AM

^ Cute vidéo.

by Anonymousreply 37August 28, 2019 6:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!