Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tom Steyer officially announces his run for the 2020 Democratic Nomination

His 4-minute video released this morning:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 30, 2019 1:23 AM

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2019 2:50 PM

"Tom Steyer" is the answer to a question that literally nobody is asking.

What is it with these self-indulgent, egotistical billionaires that they really do think they can do it all?

by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2019 2:50 PM

Narccassism R2

by Anonymousreply 3July 9, 2019 2:57 PM

I like him!

by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2019 9:34 PM

I never heard of him

by Anonymousreply 5July 9, 2019 9:59 PM

I hope he drops out and doesn't try to run as an Independent.

by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2019 10:28 PM

One wonders if he's KellyAnne Conway's drinking buddy...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 11, 2019 5:23 AM

OMG. A 62 year old billionaire and he can't afford to get those teeth fixed? Let alone those carry-ons under his eyes?

by Anonymousreply 8July 11, 2019 5:26 AM

99% of the replies on his twitter feed are 'DON'T RUN'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 11, 2019 5:40 AM

What’s wrong with him? He’s put a lot of money into the Impeach Trump ads.

by Anonymousreply 10July 11, 2019 9:33 PM

R10, because there are more than enough candidates already running.

by Anonymousreply 11July 11, 2019 10:05 PM

Will Steyer qualify to be in the debate at the end of July?

by Anonymousreply 12July 17, 2019 9:39 AM

R12, it looks like Steyer won't be able to make the July debate.

I think he's hoping to gain momentum through July & August and try to qualify for the September debate.

Candidates must have at least 65,000 donors from 20 states or reach 1% in three polls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 17, 2019 9:52 AM

Rather than engage in a futile vanity campaign, why doesn't Steyer doing something practical with his millions. He and his fellow billionaires should finance the move of voters from blue states to Wisconsin, where this election could be run or lost. Illinois is a neighboring blue state that could easily cough up enough voters to swing Wisconsin.

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2019 11:24 PM

What a selfish dick.

by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2019 8:04 AM

I agree, R14.

Rather than making a long-shot run for the Presidential nomination, why not help the Democrats in a more constructive way?

If he really wants to see Trump taken down in 2020, he could use his resources in a much more efficient manner.

by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2019 8:59 AM

won, not run.

by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2019 10:01 AM

I believe he has donated a shitload of money to down-ballot Dems in the past, which can't be said for some other millionaires. But yes, that $100 million he's earmarked for his campaign could do a world of good in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 18July 25, 2019 10:16 AM

He might make a better candidate than a lot of others. He’s a white straight appropriately aged man who is spending his own money, not begging for others to give it to him. He’s a more successful businessman than Trump and unafraid to face him down. He may have been waiting to see if anyone else caught fire first. I bet he will support whoever the nominee is, but i’d Like to at least see him in a debate.

by Anonymousreply 19July 25, 2019 3:11 PM

What about the 1%ers. Who have already failed to get popular support. They should drop out now. In fact, everyone with less support than Pete should just give up.

by Anonymousreply 20July 25, 2019 4:53 PM

Ok, well, just ignore the autocorrected punctuation. Not sure how that happened.

by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2019 4:53 PM

What is the basis for getting the nom (& being elected)? His prime reason for running is his belief that Trump should be impeached. So he get's elected, Trump's out of office. Now what does he do?

by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2019 8:33 PM

24 Democrats are running for president. Voters and donors like only five of them.

[quote]There are nearly as many Democrats running for president as there are days in July. With so many choices to choose from, you might be wondering how potential Democratic primary voters are wading through all of the candidates. But as the latest fundraising reports and polling shows, the giant field of 24 is really a much smaller race.

[quote]Most Democrats have focused their eyes on only five candidates: former Vice President Joe Biden, South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg, California Sen. Kamala Harris, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2019 7:00 AM

He has a standard Democratic agenda. You just haven’t heard it yet.

by Anonymousreply 24July 26, 2019 12:53 PM

Can you really be a contender if you're not in the debates?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2019 8:26 AM

Oh for Pete's sake, who's next? Jeff Bozos? Oprah Winfrey?

by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2019 8:38 AM

Is there any question now that his political endeavors have all been just vanity projects?

by Anonymousreply 27August 1, 2019 9:20 AM

What’s wrong with our billionaire beating their billionaire. Trump would be scared to death of him. The election is still a year away and the primaries won’t start for six months.

by Anonymousreply 28August 2, 2019 12:12 AM

R28, as pointed out above, Steyer could use his millions in a different way over the next year to help the Democrats.

He's not going to be able to win the Democratic nomination at this late stage when Biden, Warren, Harris & Sanders already have a lot of support (with some support going to others like Mayor Pete).

by Anonymousreply 29August 2, 2019 12:25 AM

Well, actually he has been using a lot of his money to support Democrats and impeachment. Maybe he just thinks his voice will be amplified as a candidate.

by Anonymousreply 30August 2, 2019 12:37 AM

Earlier in the year, he said he was not going to run, but maybe he doesn’t think any of the current candidates will win.

by Anonymousreply 31August 2, 2019 12:38 AM

I like his ad, and he put his money where his mouth is. In IL we elected JB Pritzker to the governorship from the Hyatt family, some of the wealthiest people in America. Because JB poured millions into the IL Democratic Party, the liberal agenda he talked about on the campaign sailed through the IL legislature into law.

I say after that last , less than stellar debate, give this guy a chance. I would like for him and Insley to join together, those two seem like nice old 1970s hippies. I was left unimpressed with everyone over the past two nights. Open boarders killed my love affair with Warren.

by Anonymousreply 32August 2, 2019 1:54 AM

So embarrassing for the Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 33August 2, 2019 2:17 AM

We need smoneone with some charisma. Let’s see if he can catch fire. Nobody else has.

by Anonymousreply 34August 2, 2019 12:56 PM

Americans don't want a leader. They want a saviour, someone they can look up. In addition, the saviour has to be an excellent showman, providing the razzmatazz and hoopla that Americans love. See Obama and Trump for details.

by Anonymousreply 35August 2, 2019 1:04 PM

I've donated to his campaign. I'd like to get him on the stage. Biden is very much like a Hillary. We all know when a campaign feels right, Obama. We also know when a campaign doesn't feel right, Hillary. Biden gives me that Hillary level of anxiety, like I'm waiting for the next shoe to drop. If Tom can fill the Biden field, then I"m all for welcoming him into the debate.

by Anonymousreply 36August 12, 2019 2:04 PM

He's not a politician, not savvy about the policies. But he can use this platform to trash Trump all over the place- and that's fine by me.

by Anonymousreply 37August 12, 2019 2:09 PM

True r37, but no one wants another k-street molded politician right now. We want someone to say it to us straight and without apologies. Then save the wonky policy stuff for their staff. You don't need to know very much about policies to win a campaign, because campaigns are about communicating to policy ignorant voters. You need to hold our attention, break things down into a simple message, and exude confidence in your plans.

by Anonymousreply 38August 12, 2019 2:14 PM

Imagine donating to Steyer's campaign. He has already earmarked at least $100 million for this campaign, ffs! That's more than enough to get him all the way to the DNC.

by Anonymousreply 39August 12, 2019 2:27 PM

r39, DNC rules stipulate that candidates need x amount of contributes from voters over a specific amount of states to get on stage. This cycle candidates can spend $1.10 for every $1 donation. Blame the DNC.

[quote]To claim a lectern, the candidate must clear both of these hurdles: 1) 2% support in four national or early voting state polls 2) 130,000 unique donors to their campaign, including 400 unique donors from at least 20 states

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 12, 2019 2:39 PM

R32: So you're saying Warren lets people spend the night at her house, like a bed and breakfast? And this is why you won't support her? OK....

To the whole thread, Tom Steyer sucks. He's a moron. Billboards? In 2019? Maybe he can buy a movie projector and air some talkies in an open field next. That will get rid of Trump. He could use his money to buy radio and TV stations to get the Nazis off the air and put our own message out. But no, billboards and a vanity run for President that will go nowhere, as it should.

by Anonymousreply 41August 12, 2019 2:49 PM

As annoyed as I am by his narcissism, he makes great commercials the dems need to start doing to get the moderates who voted for him, largely on the premise he is a great businessman and not Hillary.

Steyer had a commercial featuring key Meuller hearing testimony (about Trump lying, etc) the *next day*. He currently has a commercial about what a business failure Trump has always been (and therein a liar.)

I wish he stopped running and bankrolled some targeted ads. I realize it's non-stop with Cheeto, but the dems need to start shaking sense into people. As African American women saved us from a pedophile in the Senate, white women who lost their mind can stop Trump and polls are beginning to show their uneasiness.

by Anonymousreply 42August 12, 2019 2:56 PM

R34..."let's see if he can catch fire." Yeah, like a tub full of tepid bathwater.

by Anonymousreply 43August 18, 2019 2:10 AM

The guy is clearly just as much of a narcissistic egomaniac as Trump. He can't take criticism, he doesn't listen to the voters and I think he's been lying all along when he said he had no plans to run. Yet after he announced, 99% of the response has been DON'T RUN, his tweets get retweeted in the 10's, and still he keeps pushing ahead as if everyone will eventually see the light.

And then there's the fact that he looks like he drinks a quart of scotch on a daily basis. Those bags didn't come from filtered water...

by Anonymousreply 44August 18, 2019 2:17 AM

He looks electable to me.

by Anonymousreply 45August 20, 2019 12:20 AM

Haven't we had enough of "let's take the politicians out of politics" nonsense?

by Anonymousreply 46August 20, 2019 1:11 AM

Good for him.

The Democrats need to get some backbone and demand the impeachments not only of Trump but half the Supreme Court, too.

#LockEmUp!

by Anonymousreply 47August 20, 2019 2:49 AM

Fortunately, he'll be out of the race in a week. Along with a dozen others.

by Anonymousreply 48August 26, 2019 3:59 AM

Someone needs to tell him his proclamation that he can beat Trump because he actually is a billionaire is a turnoff. How are the middle class and poor going to relate to someone that has declared himself a billionaire? Personally I actually like the guy, but...

by Anonymousreply 49August 26, 2019 4:10 AM

No one needs to tell him anything. He doesn't have a chance and never did.

by Anonymousreply 50August 26, 2019 4:20 AM

Well, he could afford to take a shot at it. The billionaire stuff worked for Trump (even though he really isn’t one).

by Anonymousreply 51August 26, 2019 9:50 PM

Check out Steyer's twitter feed R51. That will tell you how much he's rabidly disliked...by Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 52August 27, 2019 3:17 AM

[quote] I believe he has donated a shitload of money to down-ballot Dems in the past,

Yeah, he backed an impossible candidate for Florida governor. And now we're stuck with a republican governor.

Thanks, Tom

by Anonymousreply 53August 27, 2019 3:23 AM

Well, at least he’s not running as an independent

by Anonymousreply 54August 30, 2019 1:22 AM

Steyer will support the Democratic nominee.

by Anonymousreply 55August 30, 2019 1:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!