Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mitch McConnell’s Family Owned Slaves

[QUOTE]Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who said recently he opposes paying reparations to the descendants of American slaves, has a family history deeply entwined in the issue: Two of his great-great-grandfathers were slave owners, U.S. census records show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 30, 2019 2:41 PM

Of course they did.

by Anonymousreply 1July 8, 2019 11:19 PM

When reached for comment, Mitch McConnell replied "And I still would if it hadn't been for you meddling kids!"

by Anonymousreply 2July 8, 2019 11:26 PM

r2 wins!

by Anonymousreply 3July 8, 2019 11:46 PM

[QUOTE]Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) brushed off a question about an NBC News report that his great-great-grandfathers owned slaves, saying it puts him in the same camp as former President Barack Obama.

[QUOTE]McConnell appeared to smile as a reporter asked him during a weekly press conference if he knew that his family once owned slaves, and if it changed his position on reparations for African Americans.

[QUOTE]"You know I found myself once again in the same position as President Obama, we both oppose reparations and we both are the descendants of slave holders," McConnell told reporters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2019 8:06 PM

Yes, McConnell is JUST like Obama....

by Anonymousreply 5July 9, 2019 8:11 PM

Why can't the Republicans keep Obama's name out of their mouths, even for the most random, non-Obama related subhects?

Is it some kind of brain-addling cestode? Will this be the new Discovery Channel series?

by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2019 9:47 PM

Why is this news? Probably most white people who lived here before 1850 owned slaves. What matters is that he chooses to be a SHIT today, not his ancestors.

by Anonymousreply 7July 9, 2019 9:48 PM

This is the definition of a "water is wet" post.

by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2019 9:50 PM

[QUOTE]Probably most white people who lived here before 1850 owned slaves.

Nonsense. Very few white people owned slaves.

by Anonymousreply 9July 10, 2019 12:55 AM

Who really cares? We need to worry about more important things like when will the dark roots fad be over?

by Anonymousreply 10July 10, 2019 1:27 AM

He STILL owns slaves.

It's not like Donald Trump's white trash army of suckers think for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 11July 10, 2019 4:21 AM

Shocking!

by Anonymousreply 12July 10, 2019 4:36 AM

Sorry - but I am shocked. He looks like poor white trash who would sell his mother for power and prestige. I wouldn't get a sense of him having any ancestors with any amount of wealth.

He's still trash though.

by Anonymousreply 13July 10, 2019 4:53 AM

[quote]r7 Why is this news? Probably most white people who lived here before 1850 owned slaves.

What are you talking about? Slaves were expensive to buy. Most whites aren't the descendents of thriving plantation owners ... we're trash!

by Anonymousreply 14July 10, 2019 4:58 AM

"Probably most white people who lived here before 1850 owned slaves. "

Where is your "here"? Kentucky? The United States?

Because even in slave states, the majority of white people didn't own slaves. Poor whites didn't, middle-class whites rarely did, women or children rarely did. Most slaves were officially the property of white male heads of households, and white male heads of households have never been the majority of the population, even if there are STILL people who think they're the only part of the population that matters. And that's just the slave states, there were probably more people living in free states than slave states.

Now as to being descended from those assholes... they did spread their DNA around. In terms of percentages of the population, there could well be more descendants of slave owners than there ever were slave owners.

by Anonymousreply 15July 10, 2019 5:10 AM

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 16July 10, 2019 5:19 AM

Why did no one check whether Obama was descended from Luo slave traders?

by Anonymousreply 17July 10, 2019 5:31 AM

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if McConnell still owns slaves. It's not uncommon for wealthy Chinese to do so, and his wife's family probably has several.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 10, 2019 5:34 AM

Black people who descended from slave owners were the result of rape - - is that really a can of worms conservatives want to open?

by Anonymousreply 19July 10, 2019 5:35 AM

Is being a descendant of slave owners supposed to inform us of his character?

by Anonymousreply 20July 10, 2019 5:49 AM

Obama is half white.

by Anonymousreply 21July 10, 2019 5:55 AM

r20, No, but the fact that he has never expressed any regret about his family's history of slave-owning does.

by Anonymousreply 22July 10, 2019 5:59 AM

I despise the man, but making an issue of something his great-great-grandfathers did is a real stretch for me.

I have no idea what my great-great-grandfathers were up to, but whatever it was I'll be damned if anyone can make me feel guilty about it.

by Anonymousreply 23July 10, 2019 6:10 AM

From his looks I would have thought it was his grandfather who owned slaves.

by Anonymousreply 24July 10, 2019 7:27 AM

R23, it's not that he's directly responsible for what his ancestors did -- of course he's not.

It's that he has done nothing to denounce their conduct or show any humanity ever since.

by Anonymousreply 25July 10, 2019 7:34 AM

[quote]Black people who descended from slave owners were the result of rape

You need to read an Obama biography. He’s black, but his slave owning ancestors were on his white mother’s side, and no, she didn’t rape her black African husband.

by Anonymousreply 26July 10, 2019 8:02 AM

Well there's a bolt outta the blue !

by Anonymousreply 27July 10, 2019 8:11 AM

Back then, families needed help, slave owners were common in the south. It was nothing unusual.

by Anonymousreply 28July 10, 2019 8:41 AM

Why won't that evil chinless turkey necked sack of shit just die already!

by Anonymousreply 29July 10, 2019 10:11 AM

R14 You say that 'Slaves were expensive to buy'.

How expensive were they?

by Anonymousreply 30July 10, 2019 10:18 AM

Couldn't have been that expensive if Blacks, Hispanics and First Nations were also able to purchase slaves.

by Anonymousreply 31July 10, 2019 10:21 AM

Most of the blacks who were listed as slave owners were freedmen who had purchased their family members. They represented .5% of slaves. There weren't large black owned plantations with a few hundred slaves. IF the freedmen purchased a family member and freed them, they would still be classified as slaves unless taken to a free state. The price of slaves has been listed as the equivalent of $40,000 in today's money. It was estimated that only 3% of white people in the entire country owned 95% of the slaves prior to the Civil War. The average in slave holding states was around 20% of families owning slaves. AS usual in the US, the wealthy minority convinced the lower classes to fight for the privileges of the upperclass. The election of 2016 proves this continues today.

by Anonymousreply 32July 10, 2019 1:58 PM

He’s a disgusting creep

by Anonymousreply 33July 10, 2019 1:59 PM

"You say that 'Slaves were expensive to buy'. How expensive were they? "

I vaguely recall an adult woman being sold for between $500 and $1000, and a strong adult male could cost thousands, in an era when a dollar was worth about a hundred times what it is now. So yes, poor and middle-class people couldn't afford slaves, at least not healthy adult slaves.

But those prices were for the middle of the 19th century, I wonder if slaves were cheaper back when the cross-Atlantic slave trade was at its height. It was largely shut down in the early 19th century if I'm not mistaken, and not by the US.

by Anonymousreply 34July 10, 2019 3:06 PM

Most women needed help...cleaning up coal dust was a fulltime job, then the children needed tending. Even when my mom was young, they hired a wash woman. Could people afford a slave family or did they hire housemaids and field hands? Most men were listed as farmers in the census...people needed help. The thought of moving west with no workers to help you, seems ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 35July 10, 2019 3:23 PM

R35, if you bought a female slave to sweep up the coal dust and mind the teething baby, she'd cost the family hundreds of dollars, while a hired girl who did the same thing would cost you a bit of pocket change and whatever you fed her.

But if you bred the hired girl, you wouldn't own the children, and couldn't sell them at a profit.

by Anonymousreply 36July 10, 2019 3:47 PM

I had heard that my ancestors owned a family of slaves in Tennessee. Supposedly when they were free, they stayed with my family. I wonder if that is suppose to be a sweet story...so that we would not feel so bad about it? What's true? It was 170 years ago, so who knows?

by Anonymousreply 37July 10, 2019 4:10 PM

R37 - don't kid yourself. They stayed with the family for a couple of potential reasons:

1) They had no money or way to go somewhere else 2) There were laws enacted regarding vagrancy - effectively forcing black people to work for white people or be arrested. Forced into sharecropping or housework.

Sweetness had nothing to do with it. They were essentially economic slaves still. Their choices were very limited, if any at all.

by Anonymousreply 38July 10, 2019 5:27 PM

So when is some sassy news person going to tell Mitch he probably has some Black relatives out here somewhere.

Everybody knows, massa be creepin.

by Anonymousreply 39July 10, 2019 5:40 PM

R34 "A woman being sold for between $500 and $1000"?

I don't believe this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 10, 2019 7:14 PM

We didn't have slaves, we had the Irish.

by Anonymousreply 41July 10, 2019 7:56 PM

Things were hard for the Irish.

by Anonymousreply 42July 10, 2019 8:08 PM

I don't remember the details, but I do recall learning in my Civil War US History class that a slave cost the equivalent of several horses, so obviously slaves were very expensive (most people didn't own horses either).

According to the website at the link below, the average price for a slave in 1850 was $400, in a period where the annual per capita income was about $110.

by Anonymousreply 43July 10, 2019 8:29 PM

Sorry, forgot the link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 10, 2019 8:30 PM

And some slaves were worth $0. A slave who eats but produces nothing but excreta is a liability.

by Anonymousreply 45July 10, 2019 10:17 PM

[quote]r35 Most women needed help...cleaning up coal dust was a fulltime job, then the children needed tending. Even when my mom was young, they hired a wash woman.

Hiring a washer woman is very different from OWNING A SLAVE, you idiot.

The slave trade wasn't invented in order to get a little domestic help.

by Anonymousreply 46July 11, 2019 12:18 AM

I treated my washer woman like a slave— especially after I caught her rummaging through my coin purse.

by Anonymousreply 47July 11, 2019 9:55 PM

Looks like Beto and his rich wife are also descendants of slaveowners.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 15, 2019 1:40 AM

I want him to die. So he can be with his ancestors.

by Anonymousreply 49July 15, 2019 1:43 AM

Probably, percentage-wise, there are now living in the U.S. many more black descendants of slave owners than white.

by Anonymousreply 50July 15, 2019 1:57 AM

I'd like some stats on that r50.

by Anonymousreply 51July 15, 2019 2:00 AM

Then he should pay for all the reparations!

by Anonymousreply 52July 15, 2019 2:04 AM

Wow. Racist person comes from a long line of racists? Shocking.

by Anonymousreply 53July 15, 2019 2:06 AM

R51, unless the entire population of this country underwent DNA testing, there’s no way to know. If there’s anything we know, it’s that the advent of cheap DNA testing has led to very many surprises among those trying to map out their family trees.

by Anonymousreply 54July 15, 2019 3:07 AM

The majority of black people in the U.S. have some European ancestry.

Where did that come from?

Not from people who had no association with slaves.

by Anonymousreply 55July 15, 2019 3:23 AM

Recall African Americans have resided in what is now the U.S. since the 1600s, far longer than most ethnic groups, so they've had a long time to blend with the population, so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 56July 15, 2019 3:40 AM

He has my heart as his slave now!

by Anonymousreply 57July 15, 2019 3:40 AM

I wonder how they would react if they knew their great great great great grandson was a friend of Dorothy.

by Anonymousreply 58July 15, 2019 3:48 AM

Beto says ME TOO ME TOO !

Beto O’Rourke Shares Essay Revealing He’s Descended from Slave Owners

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 15, 2019 6:55 AM

Everyone in Kentucky knows McConnell is a racist and not your run of the mill rich Republican asshole racist but full on Klan level racist.

by Anonymousreply 60July 15, 2019 11:35 AM

Why’d he marry a Chinese American woman?

by Anonymousreply 61July 22, 2019 4:40 PM

Ummmm in other news, water is wet. ALL of our families owned slaves in the olden days. Dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 62July 22, 2019 4:44 PM

I hate McConnell more than I do Trump (which is saying a lot), but I won't judge him for terrible shit his ancestors did. My father was a fucking monster. Sex offender. Creep of the highest order. I am nothing like him and will not take on any of the shitty things he did. That was his life. Not mine.

Because I don't believe in hypocrisy, I have to give the turtle a pass on this.

by Anonymousreply 63July 22, 2019 7:21 PM

Mitch has the type of face that you just want to punch repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 64July 30, 2019 2:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!