Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Acne is largely a problem in the developed world - and it's likely getting worse

"While accurate historical data are hard to come by, evidence suggests acne rates are on the rise among both young people and adults. A 2016 study from the University of Colorado found that, between 1990 and 2010, acne rates increased 11% among U.S. teens. Recent research on adult acne has also turned up evidence that it’s an “emerging issue,” especially among women."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125January 21, 2020 3:27 PM

I'm suffering from adult acne and I'm 32. It's not fun.

by Anonymousreply 1July 7, 2019 12:26 PM

Drinking milk and other meat products fuels acne

by Anonymousreply 2July 7, 2019 12:35 PM

Swole problems

by Anonymousreply 3July 7, 2019 12:36 PM

R2 I'm avoiding dairy, but my acne is still there.

by Anonymousreply 4July 7, 2019 12:37 PM

Yikes. The new fresh batch of twinks all have acne? They better be some cheap whores now because this is not attractive...

by Anonymousreply 5July 7, 2019 12:46 PM

Go organic Vegan, do a 1 day fast every week, eat Sauerkraut and drink Jurassian Absinthe martinis with Kombucha bubble free icecubes, become a Buddhist or at least do daily meditation so be sure to hire competent staff, as you'll need "me time" to include wake up, mid-day, and before bed self valuation and pampering, and don't forget 2x weekly Bolivian cruelty-free silver filtered Andean herbal high colonics, and an artisanal Egyptian non-filtered cigarette once and awhile.

by Anonymousreply 6July 7, 2019 12:47 PM

I would think just the opposite of OP's article. it seems like there were LOTS more teens with acne back when I was a teenager than now. I rarely see any acne teens now.

by Anonymousreply 7July 7, 2019 12:49 PM

Yet you rarely see acne on youngsters these days. They take pills, I think. But they have side-effects.

by Anonymousreply 8July 7, 2019 12:50 PM

"Less is more" is correct. Worked for me. More than half of the shit we use on our skin is completely unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 9July 7, 2019 12:50 PM

Is there a cure for goose pimples from sexual arousal?

by Anonymousreply 10July 7, 2019 12:52 PM

We've spent decades drying to connect the dots.

by Anonymousreply 11July 7, 2019 12:54 PM

Agree with R7.

Looking through my graduation year high school year book most of the guys are pizza faces.

by Anonymousreply 12July 7, 2019 12:55 PM

This is GREAT NEWS!

by Anonymousreply 13July 7, 2019 12:57 PM

"I'm suffering from adult acne and I'm 32. It's not fun."

I'm 67 and suffering from it.

by Anonymousreply 14July 7, 2019 1:05 PM

The milk is not the problem, it's the sugar.

Cut the sugar and your skin will look better.

by Anonymousreply 15July 7, 2019 1:09 PM

R14 confirmed Eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 16July 7, 2019 1:11 PM

What about my adult scabies and herpes?

by Anonymousreply 17July 7, 2019 1:13 PM

Astute observation, R16.

Your mother must be so proud she raised a moron.

by Anonymousreply 18July 7, 2019 1:43 PM

Dear idiots,

Study after study has proven it is not linked to diet but to hormones. Sugar is not good for you for many reasons but neither it nor dairy CAUSE acne. Being a vegan will not cure it either.

Some of us get it as teens, life goes on.

by Anonymousreply 19July 7, 2019 2:00 PM

r17 = Paris Hilton

by Anonymousreply 20July 7, 2019 2:02 PM

My adult acne makes me look like a teenager!

by Anonymousreply 21July 7, 2019 2:05 PM

I didn't have acne as a teenager. Enter menopause, I am now 51 and riddled with acne. Life goes on...

by Anonymousreply 22July 7, 2019 2:11 PM

[quote] We've spent decades drying to connect the dots.

"[bold]trying[/bold] to [bold]correct[/bold] the dots"

by Anonymousreply 23July 7, 2019 2:13 PM

are those bumps around my asshole and groin area are acne ? that's a relief to know !!!

by Anonymousreply 24July 7, 2019 2:14 PM

That's odd because I haven't seen a teen ager with acne in about 25 years.

by Anonymousreply 25July 7, 2019 2:15 PM

Gut flora.

by Anonymousreply 26July 7, 2019 2:21 PM

I agree I can't recall anytime in recent memory when I saw a child with acne.

by Anonymousreply 27July 7, 2019 2:33 PM

Actress Halle Bailey suffers from forehead acne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 7, 2019 3:35 PM

R22 confirmed Frau.

by Anonymousreply 29July 7, 2019 3:47 PM

Do women who trans to men have menopause nevertheless, in their 50s?

by Anonymousreply 30July 7, 2019 3:54 PM

For the poster saying Acne is hormonal, it's true but the way you eat influences your hormones.

Cutting some food can help to balance your hormones and so clear your skin. I know it because I did it.

by Anonymousreply 31July 7, 2019 3:56 PM

Diet can aggravate acne but doesn't cause it. I think it's mostly hereditary. I know people with great skin who eat lots of crap, and I know people with acne who no matter what they eat can't get rid of it. My mother had gorgeous skin and ate a typical mid-century Western diet, lots of meat and potatoes, low on fruits and vegetables, although she didn't smoke nor did she drink much, both of which aggravate the condition. You can help combat it with diet and topical medication but if the DNA is against you, you're going to be prone to it - large pores and oily skin, which are hereditary, make you more prone to it as well, and there isn't much you can do about those. I would be curious to know if acne rates are available farther back, say to late 19th-early 20th century, when environmental aggravations (air pollution and such) were far less prevalent but diet was still bad.

by Anonymousreply 32July 7, 2019 4:06 PM

While what causes acne depends on the person, their diet, exercise, chemical balances and a variety of other factors, treating it is not that difficult:

Never pop a zit. It leads to scars and blemishes which you cannot get rid of without medical intervention, or at all.

Wash your face and any area where acne appears with a gentle skin cleanser, not soap. Use a washcloth or soft facial sponge. The idea is to remove the dirt, dead skin cells, and excess natural oils without grinding them in, abrading your skin, or irritating the pustules.

It's counterintuitive, but moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. It doesn't have to be expensive lotions or creams; just buy a good brand of moisturizer and use it twice a day.

Once a week (or more often starting out or when you have a breakout), use a product with benzoyl peroxide. Again, it doesn't have to be the expensive as-sold-on-TV brand; it's the active ingredient that does the work.

Be aware that there are many causes like stress or lack of sleep that can cause flare ups. If this daily regimen doesn't work after a month or so, go to the dermatologist.

by Anonymousreply 33July 7, 2019 4:11 PM

Bullshit R31 ONE person's experience is meaningless. The entire cause and effect you believe you experience is coincidence. But go ahead and pretend you know something. It is amusing.

by Anonymousreply 34July 7, 2019 4:11 PM

R34 Fattie alert!

by Anonymousreply 35July 7, 2019 4:17 PM

My niece is a vegan and didnt have a single pimple during her teen years

by Anonymousreply 36July 7, 2019 5:40 PM

I used benzoyl peroxide pads growing up and they didn’t do shit

by Anonymousreply 37July 7, 2019 5:41 PM

They're for your face, not your ass, R37.

by Anonymousreply 38July 7, 2019 5:46 PM

Please do not forget other big problem, that is Lopsided Titty Disorder.

by Anonymousreply 39July 7, 2019 5:49 PM

R36 Some people are blessed with good skin, others aren't. I went through a healthy period for a few months, I basically went vegan. I still had acne. Trust me when I say if you have acne, it's difficult to get rid of. It's usually genetic. I have tried EVERYTHING. The only thing that helped was acne treatmemt, the strongest meds possible. And even that only helped for a short while. I might have to take it again, because the acne is back.

by Anonymousreply 40July 7, 2019 6:21 PM

The ONLY thing that will help you:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 7, 2019 6:31 PM

Funny how these studies and conclusions show up as drug companies develop more drugs they need to sell for the newly increasing scourge of acne. Uh huh.

by Anonymousreply 42July 7, 2019 6:34 PM

My acne vanished when I stopped eating gluten and dairy. I eliminated them at the same time so who knows which was responsible for my acne.

by Anonymousreply 43July 7, 2019 6:37 PM

Wash your pillowcases and change at least twice weekly. Get white ones so you can use some bleach. If you have a bad break out, change them every night.

by Anonymousreply 44July 7, 2019 6:40 PM

R44 Yep. Paper towels for drying your face, too.

by Anonymousreply 45July 7, 2019 6:50 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 7, 2019 6:54 PM

[quote]Never pop a zit. It leads to scars and blemishes which you cannot get rid of without medical intervention, or at all.

I remember the kids like you, back in the 70s, with their pussy pimples oozing out the white stuff. HORRID.

by Anonymousreply 47July 7, 2019 7:10 PM

Of course it's hormones that drive acne, and the predisposition for that is partly genetic. And I do believe that acne is largely a developed-world problem -- I've traveled all over the world, and rarely saw teenagers with acne in developing countries.

The underlying factor is that fact that so much of our "Western" lifestyle these days is toxic: our entire environment, from our food to our air to our clothing and cosmetics, is full of ill-understood chemicals. The livestock that provides our food is dosed with hormones and antibiotics from Day 1. Processed food is full of fat and sugar.

I had a relative (a dancer, with a healthy overall lifestyle) come over from Europe to NYC to study with the Alvin Ailey company. She developed the worst case of acne while she was in the US. It was the climate, the food and the lifestyle. It faded after she went home.

by Anonymousreply 48July 7, 2019 8:04 PM

[Quote]I had a relative (a dancer, with a healthy overall lifestyle) come over from Europe to NYC to study with the Alvin Ailey company. She developed the worst case of acne while she was in the US. It was the climate, the food and the lifestyle. It faded after she went home.

Where in Europe was she from, r48? I'm curious about the diet her people have, along with the lifestyle. Life in the US can be so stressful at times.

by Anonymousreply 49July 7, 2019 8:21 PM

R49 I'm from Norway and I have terrible acne. Several of my friends have terrible acne too. We're all adults. I don't think it's any better or worse here in Europe than in the US.

by Anonymousreply 50July 7, 2019 8:23 PM

KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF OF YOUR FACE!

by Anonymousreply 51July 7, 2019 8:29 PM

Accutane, baby. It’s a wonder drug. It can fuck up your liver, so your liver enzymes need to be monitored while you take it, but it changed my life.

by Anonymousreply 52July 7, 2019 8:32 PM

R52 I was on accutane for 6 months, now a year later and my acne is back. It's no more or less a wonder drug than other drugs.

by Anonymousreply 53July 7, 2019 8:34 PM

Accutane is poison.

by Anonymousreply 54July 7, 2019 9:16 PM

make sure you wash your face clean before you go to bed.

by Anonymousreply 55July 7, 2019 9:31 PM

One round of accutane killed my acne for good. I had horrible hormonal cystic adult acne and in 6 months of treatment with accutane it was gone. Hasnt returned in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 56July 7, 2019 9:42 PM

Doesn't a lot of it have to do with sheer genetics? And then aggravated by stress, bad diet, not enough sleep? Not to mention air pollution inside and outside? A lot of people don't know how to take care of their skin, and don't want to take the time to do it, morning and night. That certainly doesn't help.

by Anonymousreply 57July 7, 2019 9:44 PM

A medical grade laser light has CHANGED EVERYTHING! I used to have to use heavy chemicals and now use one product and it's made from natural ingredients. They're worth checking out.

by Anonymousreply 58July 8, 2019 4:35 AM

There are a variety of reasons why someone suffers from acne. It's the individual's challenge to find out what causes his acne problem and resolve the issue.

by Anonymousreply 59July 8, 2019 12:06 PM

Accutane used to be the only cure...what now?

by Anonymousreply 60July 8, 2019 12:08 PM

Sugar causes you to get diabetes, not acne. Don't pretend that food causes acne, it does not.

by Anonymousreply 61July 8, 2019 12:10 PM

I got rid of my acne by barely eating chocolate and using skin tonic for my face (before the tonic I use a facial soap with a mild peeling effect and after the tonic i use moisturizer - different one for day and night).

by Anonymousreply 62July 8, 2019 12:12 PM

Unless the kids are dirt poor, their parents will find a good dermatologist. Cameron Dial used to have a terrible problem with acne. It will destroy your self confidence.

by Anonymousreply 63July 8, 2019 12:13 PM

When you take Accutane you can not drink Accutane and you should skip intercourse, if you don't want a birth defect baby. I would rather take Accutane than have acne. Cystic acne is a terrible disease.

by Anonymousreply 64July 8, 2019 12:22 PM

R52, heed R42 & R54. That shit can kill you and has killed many a desperate ill-informed teen thanks to commercial manipulation. Iso-tretinoin was originally designed and only intended for skin-cancer patients; it oughtn't be an rx for hormonal acne in healthy youths.

I wouldn't wish vit-A poisoning, toxic hepatitis, Crohn's, suicidal ideation or frontal lobe damage or on anyone. But that's just me,

by Anonymousreply 65October 15, 2019 8:33 PM

Stress. People don't mention this, but it can exacerbate acne in those already prone to it.

by Anonymousreply 66October 15, 2019 8:38 PM

I’m thirty I have acne and grey hair

by Anonymousreply 67October 15, 2019 8:47 PM

Change pillowcases every day. And buy a lot of them and on clearance. 100 percent cotton.

Go to bed 30 minutes earlier than your usual time. Sleep in until the last possible minute.

Don’t ever put a cell phone on your face.

Do not ever touch your face.

Expose your face to a little sun, but not too much.

Swim in salt water when possible.

It doesn’t matter what you eat as long as you drink enough water.

Never use an electric razor

Don’t put your face up against other’s skin (no cheek to cheek for you)

Wash face when you take a shower and a simple rinse with cool water and blot dry with clean, bleached towel at bedtime

Don’t ever use a towel or washcloth twice without washing in bleach.

If you wear sunglasses, keep them clean with alcohol base.

by Anonymousreply 68October 15, 2019 8:59 PM

Beware Wackutane or any of its derivatives.

It’ll clear your skin right up, but tons of people get birth defects, colitis or Chron’s disease from it.

I lost most of my colon to Wackutane.

by Anonymousreply 69October 15, 2019 9:00 PM

R52 R53 took one course of Accutane and was told that it was common to do a second course.

There's no way I would do a second course because I experienced bad, depressed patients moods as a side effect. Dermatologist told me it was a rare side effect (affects something like 5% of patients).

There was some improvement and I made do until I found an anti acne clinic a couple of years later. That worked pretty well but eventually I found something that worked better than that. My skin is clear finally.

by Anonymousreply 70October 15, 2019 9:12 PM

- experienced bad, depressed moods as a side effect....

by Anonymousreply 71October 15, 2019 9:14 PM

Pimples are the Lord’s way of chastising you.

by Anonymousreply 72October 15, 2019 9:24 PM

To continue R70, When my sibling also took Accutane I was very worried because they had previously sought help for mental health issues. They had no mood problems with Accutane at all.

by Anonymousreply 73October 15, 2019 9:25 PM

R69 I am very sorry to hear that your side effects are so severe.

by Anonymousreply 74October 15, 2019 9:27 PM

I had terrible acne in my teens and early 20s (not cystic, yet I'd get a few cysts as well sporadically). I had ebery treatment short of Accutane (sister did three rounds and it worked). They gave me dry-ice treatments with acetone (it would smoke and burn), every topical antibiotic you can imagine, in addition toMinocin, Tetracycline, Lincomycin. etc. They even put me under UV lights they used back in the 80s for Psoriasis.

Retin-A gel helped improve my skin, but never really cured the acne. Nothing really worked 100% until I began using Hibiclens to wash, and Clarins Lotus Oil. Eventually I stopped the Hibiclens, and stuck with the Lotus Oil. I also used Noxema on and off back then as well. Perhaps the acne would've been worse without the dermatologist, but none of the drugs worked. I think I needed an Rx for Hibiclens back then.

I still have very oily skin at fifty-one years-old. Thankfully, no acne. I use a different Retin-A now (weaker microsponge formula from OrthoNeutrogena) and still app,y the Lotus Oil at night after Thayers witch hazel toner. I shouldn't complain too much, as I have no wrinkles whatsoever. It was a hard time to live through for sure.

by Anonymousreply 75October 15, 2019 9:51 PM

I had pretty bad acne as a teenager. The dermatologist gave me some skin cream and it pretty much saved me from being a massive pizza face for the rest of my high school years. I'd still get pimples, and some were so embarrassing (e.g., the cyclops in the middle of your forehead, the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Pimple at the end of your nose), but for the most part my acne was under control. My doctor also recommended diet changes that really helped (more fruit and vegetables, less meat and dairy, cut down on processed foods and sugar, use olive oil as your main cooking oil). It all helped.

I agree with the above posters about Europe being healthier, at least compared to the US. When I lived in Europe, I never had any problem with my skin. I think the diet is healthier as is the environment. I had a friend who went with me who had horrible acne. His skin cleared right up while we were in Europe. When we came back to the US, he went back to his shitty diet and his acne returned. To be sure, there were many European youth with bad acne, but not as many and the few I knew had shitty American-like diets.

by Anonymousreply 76October 15, 2019 9:56 PM

R76 I grew up in London, and ate very well. Plenty of fruit and veg. No sugary snacks or drinks were ever allowed (except I would sneak an occasional chocolate bar.) As a whole, my family didn't snack either. No junk foods were to be found in our pantry.

At the time, our Dermatologist blamed acne on hormones, chocolate, and fried foods. I never noticed any change in my face with splurges on fish and chips, or Cadbury's.

by Anonymousreply 77October 15, 2019 10:04 PM

Part of me wonders whether it’s the water. When I moved to California I got the worst acne on my chin and shoulders. When I moved out of state my acne went away.

by Anonymousreply 78October 15, 2019 10:10 PM

[quote]I would be curious to know if acne rates are available farther back, say to late 19th-early 20th century, when environmental aggravations (air pollution and such) were far less prevalent but diet was still bad.

I read an excerpt from an 18th century medical text that described acne as a rare skin disease. It’s possible that the author may have been referring to some other skin condition and not acne vulgaris but I thought it was interesting. Lord knows there was every other kind of disgusting dermatological condition blighting people’s faces back then, so maybe acne was simply outnumbered...

by Anonymousreply 79October 15, 2019 10:16 PM

[quote] It's the individual's challenge to find out what causes his acne problem and resolve the issue.

What a bizarre statement.

by Anonymousreply 80October 15, 2019 10:21 PM

More helpful & practical advice:

Don't ever let anyone speak to you. Sound waves exacerbate acne. Make sure your room is cork-lined so no sound can penetrate.

Eat only lettuce. No other foods will do--they will just make your acne worse. Drink only water that has been squeezed out of lettuce leaves.

Spend hours rubbing down your skin each night with lettuce leaves.

Have your entire bed changed once a week. Constantly be sleeping on new mattresses and new sheets.

Never ever go outside or be out of your room.

If you can afford it, have all of your skin encased in Lucite. If not, save your pennies until you can afford it.

Let your entire life be ruled by anxiety about your skin.

by Anonymousreply 81October 15, 2019 10:28 PM

Every time I see someone with acne I want to tell them salt cures it. Yes, salt. Use it like an apricot scrub until your face is pink and then leave it on for ten minutes. I burns like a MF but it will kill the acne. I wish I had known about it in my early teens... oh well.

by Anonymousreply 82October 15, 2019 10:59 PM

Acne is caused by these factors:

Excess sebum production

Follicular plugging with sebum and keratinocytes

Colonization of follicles by Propionibacterium acnes (a normal human anaerobe)

Release of multiple inflammatory mediators

I grew up in LA and had acne as a teen. I used Retin A and it was pretty effective. I lived in the UK, Africa and South America (with significant changes in my diet in the latter two regions. I continued to have acne regardless of where I lived and what I ate, because my skin is oily and the sebum gets trapped, which leads to bacterial overgrowth, and then inflammation.

Same skin, different environments, different diets....still with acne.

I have oily skin due to excess androgen production and the oils trap the bacteria

by Anonymousreply 83October 15, 2019 11:12 PM

Its ok r67, ur black so it will not be noticeable

by Anonymousreply 84October 15, 2019 11:21 PM

Vitamin B5, pantothenic acid. 1-3g daily until it goes away. Not sure why it works, but possibly it has something to do with metabolizing fats in diet, so if you find that your diet affects your acne, this is something to try. It's cheap and as a water soluble vitamin there's no way for it to build up in the body. There's actually not been a tolerable upper limit found (I think they tested up to 10g daily).

My entire family got acne especially when consuming high fat dairy, tropical oil or nuts. B5 daily prevented it. My acne got better to the point where I stopped taking it. But when I pig out on cream and find myself feeling a bump, I take the B5 and it actually GOES BACK DOWN.

My sister had worse acne, though, and she periodically stops taking it, acne comes back. Starts it again and it goes away for as long as she's taking it. That being said, it never worked for nuts with her.

Start with 1g/day, spread out. Increase week after week until you see an improvement, then reduce slightly (up to 3g/day is where we got to). Inexpensive, unpatentable. Your pee will turn a bright yellow as you piss out the excess. Some people have had luck with chinese herbs but I'm convinced they really just serve as a vitamin supplement.

by Anonymousreply 85October 15, 2019 11:31 PM

[quote]The underlying factor is that fact that so much of our "Western" lifestyle these days is toxic: our entire environment, from our food to our air to our clothing and cosmetics, is full of ill-understood chemicals.

TOXINS!! CHEMICALS!!!! POISONS!!

Who are you? Dr. Mercola? It's always the screamers who can't name a single chemical or toxin exactly and can never show how exactly this chemical causes all these evils. By all means, spend you hard-earned money on ORGANIC everything, even though it's worse for the soil, not nutritionally better for you and more expensive! Please address your science-free confirmation bias!

by Anonymousreply 86October 15, 2019 11:31 PM

Yeah I have noticed that fewer teenagers have it, but I see way more grown women in their 30s and 40s with it now. Not many guys. Gotta be a combination of hormones, foods, stress, environment and using makeup.

I have seb derm but I'm lucky that I dont have acne. My skin is very oily but I rarely get pimples. Genetics are weird like that.

by Anonymousreply 87October 15, 2019 11:38 PM

The hormones stimulate the oil production R87, which then creates the perfect environment for the bacteria to flourish and colonise one's skin. R83 is very succint in describing the process.

by Anonymousreply 88October 15, 2019 11:44 PM

Swimming always seemed to help... the bleach probably killed off some of the bacteria, and helped to dry out my skin.

by Anonymousreply 89October 15, 2019 11:48 PM

It's not an emerging problem, it's been around forever. My aunt is 84 and I remember she had cystic acne when she was a young woman in her 30s and her brother had cystic acne staring in his teens. I got acne when I was 9 years old. It's in our family. It had nothing to do with what we ate or with washing our faces. I once burned my skin using something called Ice-O-Derm. I wanted some pimples to go away by July 4 so I washed my face 3 times a day and put fresh Ice-o-Derm on my face each time and wound up with chemical burns. I had to walk around for weeks with blistered, crusted burns on my face til they healed up. It really hurt.

by Anonymousreply 90October 15, 2019 11:59 PM

Become a vegan. It reduces inflammation in your body so you’re less likely to get acne

by Anonymousreply 91October 16, 2019 12:05 AM

I have some mild adult acne. Retin-a at night and Benza-clin twice a day, completely controls it. My skin looks amazing

by Anonymousreply 92October 16, 2019 12:06 AM

My husbear has some acne scars from childhood. I find them very sexy on him

by Anonymousreply 93October 16, 2019 12:08 AM

I'm a 31-year-old South American who's as prone to grow acne today as I was when I was 16.

by Anonymousreply 94October 16, 2019 12:10 AM

I outgrew my acne. Wish my skin was still oily. It's super dry now.

by Anonymousreply 95October 16, 2019 12:11 AM

R93 is married to Bryan Adams? Good deal.

ed: oh wait you said husBEAR, nvm. Would have been something though, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 16, 2019 7:43 PM

Many victims of A-cc-utane (such as myself) suffer sides some 5, 10, 20 or 30 years down the road because the retinoic acid from the drug gets locked in a toxifying displacement loop with vitamin A taken into the body. Speaking personally, despite having a clean diet (alcohol/caffeine/drug/sugar free) and a healthy lifestyle in my prime of life still I have systemic chronic issues such as rosacea, chemical sensitivity, quick dehydration, jowls/muscle weakness, GERD, poor circulation, low appetite, blurred/poor vision, bad recall/brain fog, dry thinning hair, dark circles, anhedonia/melancholy/anxiety/poor mood, peeling/flaking/ultra sensitive dry skin and dandruff, creaky/cracking joints and random nosebleeds no GP can explain.

Is there a way to cease these processes, like a cleanse of some kind? Or is that something only a dietician can intercept?

This buff Asian dude recommends bile acid & Tauroursodeoxycholic acid/Chinese bitters/MSM & Calcium D-Glucarate supplementation in conjunction along with a clean diet and coconut oil (he doesn't say how long to follow this protocol for). He also recommends avoiding vitamin A topicals like Retin-A to prevent retoxification. Does this sound legit? Has anyone successfully healed from taking this drug?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97October 17, 2019 4:08 PM

I've also heard other people claim successful recovery thanks to lymphatic massage, Ayurvedic herbs, cutting out fluoride, and an alkaline diet.

by Anonymousreply 98October 17, 2019 4:12 PM

[quote] Does this sound legit?

No

by Anonymousreply 99October 18, 2019 2:07 AM

I had acne from 14 until 29 when I went on Accutane. Boom! Acne all gone.

by Anonymousreply 100October 18, 2019 2:43 AM

I'm a dermatologist. Acne anything!

by Anonymousreply 101October 18, 2019 12:17 PM

R80, R83 skin clinic told me that my skin doesn't shed dead skin cells well. They build up and cause acne.

R85 thanks for the tip. I will try it out. I started a regime of drinking chrysanthemum tea daily. It cleared up my whiteheads and any redness (that I assume was related to acne) and it's stayed that way for 5 years. A whitehead or two have crept back since. My sister had bad acne, (not the scarring cystic kind) from our crappy genetics that was exacerbated by the medication she was taking. It worked for her too. There were other herbs too but the Chinese herbalist was kind of expensive so it felt like he padding the bill, so to speak . One of these was honeysuckle. Instructions: make tea with chrysanthemum flowers, drink, pour another batch of hot water over the same flowers. If you have the patience, they'd like to see you make a third batch with the same flowers but I only did occasionally. The first time take it at bedtime or on a day where you will be home all day to see how it affects your system l was 230 lbs at the time. My sister (180 lbs ?) used 35-40 blossoms a day. Side effects: it increases the volume of your poop. If your dose is too high your sphincter will do it's own little spasm dance (no anal leakage). Reduce your dose, unless it's your kind of thing.

For blackheads I use something with Salicylic acid in it - Pepto Bismo. I saw it on Dr Oz. It helps dissolve dead skin cells and your existing blackheads loosen. I use it once a week at the very most. Put it on, brush my teeth, wash it off. Pepto is so inexpensive you can use it without hesitation on your back, neck, behind the ears, wherever acne can develop.

R86 same doctors said to stop using hair gel and any other coiff aid. Anything on my skin had to be labelled "non-comedogenic". Moisturizers had to be oil free.

by Anonymousreply 102October 18, 2019 8:43 PM

Oil isn’t necessarily bad for your skin if you have acne. In many acne sufferers the acid mantle of the skin is damaged, which is caused by overly aggressive treatment. Some oils are comedogenic (e.g. coconut oil) and should be avoided but others (prickly pear seed oil, argan oil, rosehip seed oil) are not. Dr. Hauschka skincare is especially good for restoring the acid mantle. Basically you want to avoid harsh foaming cleansers and scrubs. If your face feels ‘squeaky clean’ after washing it’s actually dehydrated.

by Anonymousreply 103October 18, 2019 10:09 PM

I’ve followed this and it’s helped a lot. Everyone is different, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 28, 2019 12:06 AM

R9, I’m a middle-aged woman and I wash my face with sulfur soap every third day. Then I use some Chanel moisturizer my sister gave me. That’s it. My skin is happy when i don’t mess with it.

Back in the 70s we used to hear about the “acid mantle”. Nobody talks about that anymore. But I think exfoliation and stripping the skin to replace the oils with chemicals is damaging.

by Anonymousreply 105November 28, 2019 12:19 AM

So they flaked out on going to California to visit her mom for Thanksgiving? Their behavior is pretty predictable, isnt it?

by Anonymousreply 106November 29, 2019 12:39 PM

There were no effective treatments for acne pre-1980 or so, even for rich kids. Teenagers today are lucky. Yet acne can look hot on a handsome hormonal guy.

by Anonymousreply 107January 21, 2020 12:55 AM

I developed acne on my chin about three months after I quit smoking. A few weeks using Proactiv cleared it up.

by Anonymousreply 108January 21, 2020 1:09 AM

eliminating sugar and going to a near-keto diet helped my skin immensely. an aunt of mine used to swear that eating sugar made her break out, and i thought she was full of it (she had a lot of strange eating habits. by my lights near-anorexia) but she may have been correct after all.

another thing is that we don't get enough sunlight to kill germs. a brazilian aesthetician once told me to go out in the early morning sun buck nekkid. since i lived in a city without privacy, there was no opportunity but i did notice that i had fewer skin problems when i went out into sunlight regularly.

in Asia and Russia, they might attribute some of this to demodex mites and have all kinds of cures for it. but don't tell your doctor that here. they will think you are a paranoid schizo coming down from a drug binge, since those are the people who most often believe that bugs are crawling around in their skin

by Anonymousreply 109January 21, 2020 2:16 AM

Benzoyl peroxide was in use well before 1980, and before benzoyl peroxide there were sulfur-based treatments (soap, etc).

by Anonymousreply 110January 21, 2020 3:50 AM

I’ve never been had acne but got rosacea out of nowhere in my mid thirties.

by Anonymousreply 111January 21, 2020 3:59 AM

My doctor was stabbed over 24 times in his office by a man who had claimed Accutane ruined his life. He was the nicest doctor too. Accutane must be used only if the acne situation is extremely severe.

by Anonymousreply 112January 21, 2020 4:20 AM

R112 I totally disagree with your statement that it should only be used in extreme cases. That’s a pretty irresponsible statement to make when Accutane has helped millions more than it allegedly hurts. Plenty of people suffer from recalcitrant “moderate” acne (and not cystic acne) that doesn’t respond well to topical treatments but can still cause self-esteem issues and permanent scarring. I was one of them and Accutane changed my fucking life. I was finally free of that prison of terrible skin. Years of Retin-A, antibiotics, and every single prescription and herbal treatment did nothing but waste my money. I’m lucky my insurance covers it because my doc was quick to put my kids on it when they started breaking out, knowing my history. Best thing I ever did for them.

The few who go crazy probably have underlying mental health issues, maybe from years of depression and bullying from their acne or their hormones being out of control. With a vigilant doctor and parents, regular bloodwork and observation, it is worth every damn penny.

by Anonymousreply 113January 21, 2020 4:40 AM

Accutane is poison.

by Anonymousreply 114January 21, 2020 4:58 AM

The guy who did it was a nut job, that I'll agree with. But Accutane is dangerous and should be used sparingly. Only for those who have severe cases ...so much so that it disrupts their everyday life.

by Anonymousreply 115January 21, 2020 5:00 AM

DIM from Amazon. I’m a believer.

by Anonymousreply 116January 21, 2020 12:20 PM

Some people think I don’t wash my face .. or that I eat too many chocolate bars

by Anonymousreply 117January 21, 2020 1:02 PM

I get adult acne occasionally, I just mix 3 parts emu oil and 1 part tea tree oil (the emu oil is an extremely efficient carrier) and it takes down the worst cystic zit in under 24 hours. If I know one is coming but isn't yet visible, I put that on 2-3 times a day, and it doesn't appear. Best acne remedy I've found by far.

by Anonymousreply 118January 21, 2020 1:21 PM

I still got acne as an adult so my doctor put me on a combination of Retin A and Benza-clin (a cream combination of Benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin antibiotic),

That combination was finally the magic that completely cleared up my skin

by Anonymousreply 119January 21, 2020 1:21 PM

[quote] That’s a pretty irresponsible statement to make when Accutane has helped millions more than it allegedly hurts.

Accutane is a fierce medicine with a ton of horrendous side effects, including mutating embryos--so yes, it should be the last resort.

by Anonymousreply 120January 21, 2020 1:22 PM

ProActiv didn't do shit for me

by Anonymousreply 121January 21, 2020 1:23 PM

Accutane saved my life when everything had failed.

by Anonymousreply 122January 21, 2020 1:25 PM

your life?

by Anonymousreply 123January 21, 2020 2:44 PM

It's all those barebacking gay sluts who are on Prep.

by Anonymousreply 124January 21, 2020 3:19 PM

If you read the article they talk about accutane by the generic name Isotretinoin. Accutane is some fucked up shit.

by Anonymousreply 125January 21, 2020 3:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!