Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

CNN Cuomo Interview with Biden

Joe may not be the ideal candidate but isn’t he the most likely to beat Trump?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 26, 2019 12:56 PM

No, he’s not.

by Anonymousreply 1July 5, 2019 11:27 AM

[quote]but isn’t he the most likely to beat Trump?

A self-perpetuating myth, based on current [italic]national[/italic] poll numbers, which are in turn still based on name recognition.

by Anonymousreply 2July 5, 2019 11:27 AM

Although Joe is not the best he will beat Trump. Red states like Texas and Pennsylvania are turning blue in droves. Trump has done nothing for the old white seniors that voted him in with Russia's help.

by Anonymousreply 3July 5, 2019 11:32 AM

Maybe, but the most vocal Democrats on the left do not represent the majority of voters in most states. We can’t win with NY and CA only.

by Anonymousreply 4July 5, 2019 11:32 AM

If Biden picks a progressive woman for VP, she may end up serving out his term.

by Anonymousreply 5July 5, 2019 11:35 AM

I think he probably is. I look at the slate and I can't see who is a safe pair of hands (Mayor Pete comes closest but I don't believe he can do it.)

There are many interesting ideas and candidates but they don't represent a safe pair of hands. That's where America's head is really at. They don't want revolution as presented by an urban liberal. Ignore reality at your peril.

by Anonymousreply 6July 5, 2019 11:51 AM

Agreed. Kamala is most likely of the NotBiden crew, but she won't make the old people WHO ACTUALLY VOTE feel safe the way Biden will. Sanders and Warren will seem too extreme almost like the 1932 election in Germany where it was Nazis or Communists and very little in between.

Biden with Harris or Warren as VP will be a good choice. Sort of feeling better about Warren as she's so damned smart and has proven to be pretty likeable.

Obviously we've got months to go and this could all change, but right now, it seems like what voters want is someone safe, someone no drama, not a left wing counter to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 7July 5, 2019 11:58 AM

Anyone can do it if only the ticket energizes the voters enough. Deep down, does Biden on his own electrify you? Be truthful now.

by Anonymousreply 8July 5, 2019 11:58 AM

^^As I've said in these threads before, it's crucial to remember that the president is not elected by the number of retweets they get, but rather by voters who show up at the polls. Many of those swing voters will be over 50 and in the sense that he promises a return to sanity, R8, then yes, Biden electrifies them while Harris, Warren and especially Sanders scares them.

by Anonymousreply 9July 5, 2019 12:00 PM

I think VP should be a throwaway... vote getter... but put some of the creative progressives (especially Warren) into cabinet and show people this is what progressive looks like, this is how it's done, this is the result - vote for more of it next time because you like what you see.

by Anonymousreply 10July 5, 2019 12:01 PM

Not every election is a an electrifying election. Hillary tried to electrify, swamped by celebrities, and we all know how that turned out. Anybody who thinks it is always a rock star event understands nothing about politics. Sometimes it's time for a change, sometimes it's the audacity of hope, sometimes it's a pair of safe hands, sometime it's throw the bastards out. The American Idol generation has a skewed view of reality and how election strategy is done.

by Anonymousreply 11July 5, 2019 12:03 PM

[quote]Hillary tried to electrify, swamped by celebrities, and we all know how that turned out.

Except she picked Kaine as VP in the end. How is that inspiring to anyone?

by Anonymousreply 12July 5, 2019 12:05 PM

[quote]Sometimes it's time for a change, sometimes it's the audacity of hope, sometimes it's a pair of safe hands, sometime it's throw the bastards out.

Or, you know, it can be a mix of all of those things to different groups of people who live in different places. Someone who says it can only be one thing at a time understands nothing about politics.

by Anonymousreply 13July 5, 2019 12:09 PM

If you are young and know Biden primarily as Vice President, he looks like a great choice.

But if you are not young and have a longer experience of Biden, you may easily have a different opinion. He has a long history of being shallow and glib and a political opportunist. His reputation for being gaffe prone is well earned. It come largely from not being thoughtful. He plays at looking thoughtful, but he isn't, except possibly for thinking about polls.

by Anonymousreply 14July 5, 2019 12:15 PM

Hillary couldn’t have nominated another woman for VP. She thought Kaine was a safe choice but he wasn’t well known enough, and not electrifying enough, to attract voters. Anyway, a lot of folks who didn’t vote for Clinton never believed Trump could win. Maybe they won’t make that mistake this time.

by Anonymousreply 15July 5, 2019 12:16 PM

Come on, Man! Come on Chris - I’ve known you since you were in diapers!

by Anonymousreply 16July 5, 2019 2:13 PM

Please be real R24: Very few people outside of Delaware knew who Biden was before he was Obama's VP. He was just one of a mess of senators, very few people follow politics that closely.

by Anonymousreply 17July 5, 2019 2:14 PM

R14, not R24

by Anonymousreply 18July 5, 2019 2:14 PM

SNL should do a skit where Biden has a dream that Marianne Williamson is his running mate.

There's so much in there with her telling people to beat Trump with love and his hugging people....

by Anonymousreply 19July 5, 2019 2:16 PM

I could not disagree with you more, R17/R18. This is Biden's third run for President. He has been pushing his surgically altered face before the national news cameras for a long, long, long time. If only for Anita Hill, the man has long had a national reputation.

But it is much bigger than Anita Hill. There is also Neil Kinnock.

And the banks. He has always been their staunch advocate. Biden is very well known.

by Anonymousreply 20July 5, 2019 9:09 PM

No one knew him before R20

People barely remember Anita Hill

You overestimate the memory and amount of political engagement most people have, especially for Senators.

by Anonymousreply 21July 5, 2019 9:12 PM

Wrong. Just wrong. Absolutely wrong.

by Anonymousreply 22July 5, 2019 9:17 PM

That's not really an answer to what R14 said. To those of us who do pay attention to politics, Biden was, and is, well known. Everything that R14 wrote is true.

by Anonymousreply 23July 5, 2019 9:17 PM

R23 is "oldsplaining" lol

by Anonymousreply 24July 5, 2019 10:17 PM

He's very likeable. I know we need more than that, but, if that what it takes to beat Trump, I'm all in. I'm so tired of all the hate that feeds Trump's ego and divides our country.

by Anonymousreply 25July 5, 2019 10:34 PM

I watched about 10 minutes of this and I was not intrigued. I think he will be the Jeb Bush of this election. In 2015, everyone thought Jeb would coast through because he raised a lot of money and all those polls (which are complete bullshit BTW) had him ahead. The months went on and his campaign came to a pitiful end.

by Anonymousreply 26July 5, 2019 10:47 PM

He's the best candidate to lose to Trump. Though to be fair, seeing on here all the support for him slash anyone not-Trump without any awareness why the dp has lost its voter base, makes me think Trump is a shooin in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 27July 5, 2019 11:01 PM

For me the most important thing we've lost since Trump has been President is security. Whether it be social security or national security, I feel less safe with Trump as President than ever before. So, I believe what people want in this election is the tried and true and that is Joe Biden, the safe bet.

Now, is he the best Democratic candidate for President? Perhaps, Warren, Harris, and Mayor Pete are better. But, let's face reality. Most voters are white people over 50 and that is whom Biden can pull from Trump to win. By the way, Trump wasn't the best Republican candidate for President and look what happened.

However, in order to energize the base and get the voters on our side, here's where Democrats can do things differently. Instead of waiting to win, the Democratic Presidential Candidate should put a cabinet together after his or her announcement.

For instance, if Biden is the Presidential candidate, put together a cabinet of Democratic All-Stars. Such as, Castro for VP, Harris for AG, Warren for Treasury Secretary, Mayor Pete for Defense Secretary, etc. Not only would the public be excited by such talent, but they would also feel secure in knowing that the Democrats know what they're doing.

by Anonymousreply 28July 5, 2019 11:02 PM

R24 is ducking and evading to avoid having to discuss the fact that what R14 wrote is true. lol

by Anonymousreply 29July 5, 2019 11:03 PM

Some Democrats just want a woman. They don't care if the woman is electable or not. They are trying to prove something, but also they are afraid that the republicans are going to go there first, as if it is some kind of race. And it seems to me that white democrats have it stuck in their head that there has to be a person of color somewhere on the ticket, because they clearly don't understand how and why black democrats vote. And it drives them mad that Biden has strong support with black democrats, and they twist themselves into pretzels trying to explain it away.

What has been disheartening to me is how just completely overlooked Mayor Pete has been by this crowd that is pushing for a woman. Because, in their heads, he's not the right kind of gay. When the truth is, Mayor Pete is probably the most typical of gay men. Maybe if Pete hissed a little bit and burst out into classic Madonna songs, they would think he was okay.

Joe Biden speaks the language of the reliable democratic and fence sitting voter. I'm sorry if that doesn't gel with California and New York democrats. I'm sorry if his age bothers you. I'm sorry if his gaffes both you. I'm sorry if he doesn't trend on Twitter. Trump is going to rip Warren to shreds and the Midwest is not going to vote for Kamala. So democrats can go on and play with this thing all they want, but you're only going to end up with four more years of that buffoon.

by Anonymousreply 30July 5, 2019 11:06 PM

What we don't know yet is whether Biden is on top of the polls because voters genuinely like him, his policies, what he'd do as President, and so on, or whether he is on top of the polls because voters think he's the best bet to beat Trump. The distinction matters. If the voters like him and want him, then he can ride out any gaffes or temporary setbacks. If it's because they think he has the best chance, then setbacks start to eat into that and could cause his support to quickly erode.

More than the other candidates, I think Biden needs to win in Iowa. Someone like Warren or Harris could come in a strong second and still be viable. But Biden is currently in the lead there. If someone else takes him out and he falls to second or third, then the argument that he's the best bet to defeat Trump starts to look really shaky.

We still have a long way to go but, right now, I think that the Democratic nomination is still up for grabs. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

by Anonymousreply 31July 5, 2019 11:46 PM

R14, I had completely forgotten Tim Kaine ever existed. It feels like decades since 2016.

by Anonymousreply 32July 5, 2019 11:51 PM

Look fwd to the day when Joe Biden sits back down. I have no interest in two out of touch old white men vying for the presidency. Anyone who doesn’t think we can do better than Biden deserves another 4 years of Trump.

Not looking two replace one old white guy for another. We are capable of effecting sweeping change, not tiny lateral moves.

by Anonymousreply 33July 6, 2019 12:00 AM

Who do you suggest, r33?

by Anonymousreply 34July 6, 2019 12:06 AM

We all need to take a second look at Kirsten Gillibrand. I know we all wrote her off after the Al Franken scandal, but she might actually be the most electable. A likable woman from a red district with centrist views. The fact that she's blonde and blue-eyed helps to calm the fears of the mostly white midwestern states.

by Anonymousreply 35July 6, 2019 12:10 AM

[quote] We all need to take a second look at Kirsten Gillibrand.

Agree.

by Anonymousreply 36July 6, 2019 12:12 AM

I know this is horribly defeatist, but I think a straight male candidate (not necessarily white, though) is probably the best bet to beat Trump. As utterly insane as it is, I think there are still a lot of Americans who don't believe a woman should be president. And I definitely don't believe America is yet at the point of electing a gay president. Same-sex marriage was only legalised a few years ago. To put things in perspective: America did not get its first black president until 40 years after the assassination of Martin Luther King! And black people make up a much larger proportion of the USA than gay people do. Maybe in a decade's time, a gay president will be a serious possibility, but I don't think the country is there yet. (You can call me a Russian bot/concern troll as much as you like; I'm just trying to be realistic.)

I'm not sure about Biden, though. He carries a LOT of baggage.

by Anonymousreply 37July 6, 2019 12:13 AM

He still sounds old and confused. He thought like Hillary that the nomination would be a cakewalk. I don't think he's physically or mentally going to be able to last for a year-long struggle.

by Anonymousreply 38July 6, 2019 12:15 AM

The problem is that it's just coming off more and more like he really doesn't want to be bothered doing any of this. He would be perfectly happy if they just declared him the nominee tomorrow. Everything else is just an annoyance. He just wants to have the cache of saying he beat Trump.

Another problem is that Biden has a core base of supporters who have chained themselves to him and are not budging because they saw the initial polls and are convinced that he is THE ONE. No matter how underwhelming his campaign has been so far and no matter how many mistakes he's made, they're not going to budge. It's similar in some ways to the Sanders support last election cycle. Meanwhile, his campaign is a mess and his performance is nothing short of underwhelming.

He's still astonished that Kamala Harris treated him the way she did, but yet we're supposed to believe that he's going to be able to overcome the rabid Republicans who are in the Senate and who obstructed Obama at every turn. Furthermore, if you don't want people to bring up your past, stop talking about it. None of the busing shit would have happened had he listened to his advisors in the first place and not brought up working with segregationists.

And now he's pissed off progressives with a unnecessary dig at Alexandria Ocasio Cortez.

I think Al Franken would have stood the best chance of winning 2020. He had everything going for him, he was from the Midwest, he could relate to the people, and he wasn't as far left as a Sanders or Warren. Dumping him was a HUGE mistake.

by Anonymousreply 39July 6, 2019 12:17 AM

Biden has said some things that are being twisted by Twitter and built up by the outrage machine. The way the swing states see this as Biden is being picked on by the "loony left" of the party. That just makes him more likable to the Midwest. If you actually listened to what he said, there was nothing problematic about any of it. People just need to find something to be offended about.

by Anonymousreply 40July 6, 2019 12:25 AM

Other than "Biden makes me feel safe while I cradle my mug" ridiculousness there hasn't been a substantial reason as to why he's the best candidate.

by Anonymousreply 41July 6, 2019 12:35 AM

He’s not the best candidate. He’s too old and out of touch. Gillibrand is a bitch and I will never forgive her for shoving Franken out of the senate. No Bernie or Marianne. I like the others with Harris as #1.

by Anonymousreply 42July 6, 2019 12:43 AM

I can't believe people are still bringing up Gillibrand when she crashed and burned during the first debate. It was laughable how thirsty she was. Even worse than Swalwell, I thought.

Just... no.

by Anonymousreply 43July 6, 2019 12:46 AM

His eye plastic surgery is distracting

by Anonymousreply 44July 6, 2019 12:54 AM

I will vote for the eventual Democratic nominee and I have no favorites, but that interview didn't do Joe any favors, IMHO

by Anonymousreply 45July 6, 2019 12:56 AM

Much as I try, I can't spot any signs of cosmetic surgery on Joe's face. I have noticed however that his left eye is darker than his right one, and now I can't unsee it. I thought his answers in OP's interview were lucid and practical. Not my pick but it wouldn't be the end of the world if/when he gets the nomination. Sure, most will groan when casting their vote but it'll be fine in the end.

Also, his answer "I wasn't prepared for the person coming at me the way she came at.. she knew Beau, she knows me... I don't... anyway" effectively rules Kamala out as his VP pick, in my opinion. She hurt him personally with that.

by Anonymousreply 46July 6, 2019 1:15 AM

You know he had brain surgery, right?

by Anonymousreply 47July 6, 2019 1:17 AM

[quote] I think Al Franken would have stood the best chance of winning 2020. He had everything going for him, he was from the Midwest, he could relate to the people, and he wasn't as far left as a Sanders or Warren. Dumping him was a HUGE mistake.

Franken isn’t likable and by the end of his time in Congress he sounded like he had brain damage. He spoke in circles and don’t get me started on the lisp.

by Anonymousreply 48July 6, 2019 1:19 AM

Okay, I just got to the portion of the interview where he goes into "come on, man" overdrive. Oof, that was a bit much.

r47 No, I didn't know that. Can those scars be seen from the front?

by Anonymousreply 49July 6, 2019 1:21 AM

Joe fucks up again in this interview..

Joe Biden said Russian meddling did not happen on his or former President Barack Obama’s watch during an interview with CNN that aired Friday.

Biden, a 2020 presidential contender, made the claim despite years of media scrutiny over Russian interference in the 2016 election, which would have taken place while he and Obama were in office.

by Anonymousreply 50July 6, 2019 1:23 AM

If he gets the nomination, and Harris comes in second then it would be utterly foolish not to ask her to serve in his administration in some capacity. Another instance of letting your ego take prominence.

Suck up your hurt feelings and put the country first. Barack did it with Hillary, and he could have easily refused.

by Anonymousreply 51July 6, 2019 1:25 AM

And now he referred to Merkel as a former chancellor of Germany and got lost for a couple of seconds while trying to recall the word "NATO". Yeah, I'm going to have to walk back that lucid remark from earlier. He seems to go in and out of clarity as the interview progresses. This all just makes me sad, though he and his advisors should have known better that it was time to pack up, not run again.

by Anonymousreply 52July 6, 2019 1:30 AM

I'm a Biden guy, but dear God please don't bell me he's started with the fake tans like fatboy. He's got the same white rings around his eyes as Trump in the OP's photo.

by Anonymousreply 53July 6, 2019 1:32 AM

Warren/Buttigieg. or Booker for Vice. Bernie fans will fuck up this election, again, if we don't have voters.

by Anonymousreply 54July 6, 2019 1:35 AM

[quote]Bernie fans will fuck up this election, again, if we don't have voters.

I'm starting to worry about these Kamala stans who can't seem to see that she's a complete phony.

by Anonymousreply 55July 6, 2019 1:41 AM

It would have made more sense to go after Sanders instead of AOC. After all, Sanders is one of his main competitors.

by Anonymousreply 56July 6, 2019 1:55 AM

In what interview did he go after AOC? And yeah, that's a bad move. Way to alienate young people who will be voting for the first time. Not to mention Latinos and Latinas...

by Anonymousreply 57July 6, 2019 1:57 AM

If Pete weren't gay, he would be running away with this. Brilliant, likable, no DC baggage, from the midwest. I hope Chasten knows that he's doomed the country and the world to 4 more years of Trump.

by Anonymousreply 58July 6, 2019 2:05 AM

r58 You might be overestimating how much thought straight people give to his homosexuality. But, we'll see.

by Anonymousreply 59July 6, 2019 2:14 AM

If Pete was straight he'd still be the mayor of some small community and nobody would take him seriously at all as far as a presidential primary. Being gay gets him cash from the David Geffin types and support from the Grace Adlers.

by Anonymousreply 60July 6, 2019 2:34 AM

Nice try, Bernard/r60.

by Anonymousreply 61July 6, 2019 3:20 AM

The worst case is that the Dems beat each other to pulp in the primaries and Trump, with no competitors, manages to walk away with more electoral votes. That’s how he won the nomination and the election last time. Dems need to pick a candidate early and build that person up. Trump has never had a majority and he never will, but the EC complicates things and divide and conquer might still work for him.

by Anonymousreply 62July 6, 2019 10:38 AM

Joe Biden is an idiot. He is the least intelligent of everyone running and I'm including lightweights like Eric Swallwell and Seth Moulton in that. He is the most stereotypical type of politician. He is naturally charismatic and was very good looking when he was young. He was able to float by through life on those two things and it convinced him he was a genius. But he as dumb as Trump. These "gaffes" he keeps having aren't just slips of the tongue, he just almost always has no idea what he's talking about.

The GOP would LOVE for him to be the nominee because then if Trump loses, they can just walk all over Biden.

by Anonymousreply 63July 6, 2019 11:31 AM

R37? A majority vote of over 3M felt otherwise in the last election. The US is definitely ready for a female president. You should examine your own prejudices first.

by Anonymousreply 64July 6, 2019 11:42 AM

r63 Yeah, I've always suspected the same about Biden. Chummy with people, but he has very little original thought of his own. You can basically see his advisors talking on any given issue when he's opening his mouth. He's just not a policy wonk at the end of the day because he thinks building personal relationships is more important in politics and that others around him should think about and deal with the actual issues. Which is one possible strategy; I mean, it's gotten him this far in life.

by Anonymousreply 65July 6, 2019 11:43 AM

[quote]A likable woman from a red district with centrist views.

From a red district? That was back before she became Senator for New York.

Now she will be portrayed by the Republicans as a New York Liberal.

by Anonymousreply 66July 6, 2019 12:21 PM

And no just a regular old liberal, a very left one. Give Kirsten her due, she has one of the most liberal voting records in the senate. She hasn't been a centrist in a very long time

by Anonymousreply 67July 6, 2019 12:41 PM

I like R28's idea

by Anonymousreply 68July 6, 2019 1:48 PM

Yes, Hillary won the popular vote. But it's meaningless because that is not how we elect presidents in this country. So I'm not really sure what you're hoping to accomplish with that line. I too, think the US is ready for a woman president, I even think they are ready for a gay president... but it has to be the right woman candidate and the right gay candidate. I happen to think that Pete is the right gay candidate. As for women, maybe Klobuchar.

by Anonymousreply 69July 6, 2019 4:20 PM

I don't even know what Harris really stands for (other than changing her mind.) And before her Stans scream go to her website... that's the challenge for her... standing for something because most people don't go deep on websites. I have no idea about her... ideas. I just know she's a striking, edgy woman who constructed a clever, killer moment that gave the media what they want.

Get ready to cope, she will probably peak too soon.

by Anonymousreply 70July 6, 2019 4:58 PM

r70 She's for putting food on the table. Doesn't get any clearer than that.

by Anonymousreply 71July 6, 2019 5:02 PM

She is for saying whatever it is that will get her elected. It's clear what she's doing. She's trying to sell democrats a bill of goods and then get to the general and then flip flop on everything she promised democrats. She's fake. She's a flip flopper. How many things has she already flipped on.

by Anonymousreply 72July 6, 2019 5:07 PM

R68 Thank you.

I especially want to see the Democratic Presidential Candidate announce the Democratic All-Stars at the Democratic Convention. With excitement and fanfare, a Democratic All-Star Team would work for US. Instead of the Republican Also-Rans working for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 73July 6, 2019 8:54 PM

[quote] a Democratic All-Star Team would work for US

or in some cases for Mexico

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 6, 2019 9:21 PM

I already had R73 blocked. It's a Breitbarter who keeps trying to boost Tulsi Gabbard on here

by Anonymousreply 75July 6, 2019 9:26 PM

The only flaw in making room for most of the contenders is the risk to incumbency. Safe seats in play. A consideration particularly in the Senate where it is already bad enough.

by Anonymousreply 76July 6, 2019 10:19 PM

Former Vice President Joe Biden today said he’s sorry for any “pain and misconception” he cause with his remarks about working with segregationist senators.

by Anonymousreply 77July 6, 2019 10:27 PM

R75 Look, I'm no Breitbarter and I'm no TROLL. And, you can block me all you want. But, for your information...

I can't stand President Trump. Because, he lied, cheated, and stole the election. How? Not only with Russian interference, but with GOP Election Operatives on the ground who threw out ballots and/or switched votes from Hillary to third party stooge Jill Stein. In fact, Hillary Clinton did really win the Electoral College. Unfortunately, the election was stolen from her by the crooked Republican Powers-that-Be.

And, I want the Republican Party OUT!!! O-U-T, OUT!!! That's why I am trying to find ways to excite the voters such as a Democratic All-Star Team announced at the Democratic Convention. Yes, some could be the candidates (Kamala Harris as AG), some could be newcomers (AOC as Interior Secretary), and some could be veteran politicians (Howard Dean as HHS Secretary).

Now, my plans to get out the votes may not be to everyone's liking, but at least I'm trying. So, if you have a better plan, why don't you say so. Anything, and I mean anything, is better than having Trump as President for four more years.

by Anonymousreply 78July 6, 2019 10:33 PM

We're fucked. Fuckhead will win another term.

by Anonymousreply 79July 7, 2019 2:52 AM

Oh, get a fucking grip. We're a year away from picking a candidate; nearly a year and a half away from the election. And fuckhead remains a fuckhead. The Democrats are divided on who their best candidate is but they're not divided on who the real enemy is, and that's fuckhead. We're still in a pretty good position for the election next year; Trump isn't.

by Anonymousreply 80July 7, 2019 1:03 PM

AOC in a cabinet would be a disaster. She lacks the experience to run anything realistically and she'd break ranks and run to social as soon as she didn't get her way. She's sincere and well intended, if inexperienced and naive, but she's little more than a toy for the media.

by Anonymousreply 81July 7, 2019 1:35 PM

I like calling the moron...fuckhead. That's his new DL moniker. Fuckhead.

by Anonymousreply 82July 7, 2019 2:12 PM

R81 AOC was just one of my suggestions for a cabinet post. However, if you or any others have suggestions for Democratic All-Star Team cabinet positions, please say so. America needs all the help it can get.

Speaking of which, the GOP are out to hurt US again. How? Not only with Russian trolling but with blocking the truth with their lies. Like one poster who blocked me because of my Democratic All-Star Team idea. As, he lied and said that I was a Brietbarter and supported Tulsi Gabbard. Now, as much as I was upset, I also learned a few things from that block.

1. Brietbart may be dead but his site is still in business. And, Steve Bannon is not going anywhere anytime soon. Except to recruit more fifth, spread more lies with trolling, and stop good ideas with blocking.

2. Tulsi Gabbard is a Russian stooge. Yes, I also suspected but that block verified it. So, if you think Bernie might be trouble, look at Tulsi. Because, when she doesn't get the nomination, she could run third party. And, like Jill Stein, take votes from our candidate.

3. Now, that the GOP tried to block me, it now confirms that a Democratic All-Star Team is an excellent idea that scares the hell out of them. And, if FCI is right that higher ups in the Democratic party read Datalounge, they might take this idea to heart to beat their ass.

by Anonymousreply 83July 7, 2019 2:57 PM

[quote] But if you are not young and have a longer experience of Biden, you may easily have a different opinion. He has a long history of being shallow and glib and a political opportunist. His reputation for being gaffe prone is well earned. It come largely from not being thoughtful. He plays at looking thoughtful, but he isn't, except possibly for thinking about polls.

Exactly. He basically remade himself as Obama's VP. Old Joe was failed candidate whose wig was blown back by the most benign of confrontations at the second debate. A sharp candidate could have given a succinct response highlighting his record and avoiding taking a dig at Harris for being a prosecutor (like his son Beau -- who she knew). It was a bad look given that he's seeking the nomination of the party with a bias against old white dudes. Cuomo is a friendly (taped) interview and even he had Biden on the ropes.

by Anonymousreply 84July 7, 2019 3:00 PM

[quote] What has been disheartening to me is how just completely overlooked Mayor Pete has been by this crowd that is pushing for a woman. Because, in their heads, he's not the right kind of gay. When the truth is, Mayor Pete is probably the most typical of gay men. Maybe if Pete hissed a little bit and burst out into classic Madonna songs, they would think he was okay.

I don't understand how you can be disheartened. Pete has enjoyed enormous goodwill and support. Lifted from nowhere to the front of the pack? He is exactly the right type of gay to run for national office -- super-smart, straight-appearing, sass-free, etc. He is already a trailblazer.

by Anonymousreply 85July 7, 2019 3:10 PM

[quote] Also, his answer "I wasn't prepared for the person coming at me the way she came at.. she knew Beau, she knows me... I don't... anyway" effectively rules Kamala out as his VP pick, in my opinion. She hurt him personally with that.

That's not how politics works. Biden dismissed Obama as "clean" and "articu!ate" which is good-ole-boy code for just another uppity n-word. Yet Obama -- who is not without an ego -- humbled himself and picked Joe as VP. Biden, and his people, know Harris will boost his prospects enormously. She has everything he does not. As of today, Biden/Harris is the Trump-eviscerating winner. Trump is terrified of that ticket.

by Anonymousreply 86July 7, 2019 3:19 PM

Did Biden have a little "nip/tuck?" He looks refreshed.

by Anonymousreply 87July 7, 2019 6:53 PM

This All Star Team thing is nothing but a gimmick. So you are basically saying Biden can't win on his own and needs to pull this fucking terrible idea. Do you really think announcing who will be in his administration is what is going to get people out and vote for him? I've heard some stupid things in my life, but that idea is really up there.

by Anonymousreply 88July 7, 2019 7:37 PM

I suppose the theory is that this will ease the butthurt fanboys of each of the candidates and that you'll then have a lot of surrogates out advocating for votes. It's not that farfetched, honestly, but I'm not really persuaded by it.

by Anonymousreply 89July 7, 2019 7:50 PM

R89 and R88 I think it could get people excited. We get attached to our horses.

by Anonymousreply 90July 7, 2019 8:00 PM

r87 I said in another thread that I COULDN'T see any signs of a nip/tuck on him, and someone screamed at me that he's had brain surgery. So that was fun.

by Anonymousreply 91July 7, 2019 8:01 PM

[quote]I suppose the theory is that this will ease the butthurt fanboys of each of the candidates

So Biden has "supporters" and everyone else has "butthurt fanboys"? Okay, that kind of talk will get everyone on board, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 92July 7, 2019 8:03 PM

It comes off as a gimmick R90. Except for the shit between Hillary and Bernie we've not had a problem with people getting behind the nominee.

by Anonymousreply 93July 7, 2019 8:04 PM

joe is a mean sucker, he can kick the shit outta trump and make him eat it.

FOR THE WIN

by Anonymousreply 94July 7, 2019 8:04 PM

R92, you're reading too much into that comment. I intended it to mean any "All Star Team" with any of the candidates in the Presidential role. Every candidate but the final victor will have "butthurt fanboys." It goes with the territory.

by Anonymousreply 95July 7, 2019 8:06 PM

That's my take on it, as well, R93. I think it's a gimmick, just as was Biden's saying that he'd pick a VP candidate early. And I think in 2020 that the Democrats won't have too much trouble lining up behind the eventual candidate. They may not like him or her as much as their original choice but we're all united in our feelings about Trump.

by Anonymousreply 96July 7, 2019 8:07 PM

[quote]Joe may not be the ideal candidate but isn’t he the most likely to beat Trump?

He's definitely the most likely to be Trump. Pay no mind to all the pipe dreaming idiots out there with their far-left Sanders nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 97July 7, 2019 8:08 PM

I don't think that's true. People have fond memories of Biden but he's actually pretty bad at campaigning. It's why he's lost multiple other bids for president. He doesn't actually know anything about issues, and frequently forgets the lines his advisers feed him which lead to the constant "gaffes". And he says he wasn't prepared for Kamala to come after him and thought it was too harsh??? Honey, Trump's attacks will be far worse. And Joe handled it poorly, he flailed about on stage and then apologized days later.

Don't take these polls seriously. They don't have a good track record this far out. In 2015 there were also polls showing Hillary 10 points ahead of Trump. Obviously things change once the campaign actually starts. And Biden is not good at this. Remember heis from Delaware, a safe, very blue state. He has never won a competitive election and I don't think he is capable of it

by Anonymousreply 98July 8, 2019 12:33 AM

I think that Trump is going to win again and serve four more years. But I don’t want him to. I’m afraid, however, that once again the coasts’ elitist, common-senseless and over-degreed liberals are going to be struck blind in the eyes by their own huge and isolated egos into thinking that there couldn’t be more votes across the rest of the country for Trump and the Republicans than there could be for a set of candidates from their current stable of Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 99July 8, 2019 1:10 AM

C’mon man!

by Anonymousreply 100July 8, 2019 1:14 AM

I’m afraid we will end up with four more years of Cheeto. I don’t think any of the democratic candidates are strong enough. Most of them are forgettable. The party is too divided.

by Anonymousreply 101July 8, 2019 1:15 AM

R99 and R101 are lazy, obvious, and pathetic. I told you trolls you would wear yourselves out starting this early in the campaign. None of you have built much stamina, sitting in front of a computer in your mother's basement for days on end

by Anonymousreply 102July 8, 2019 1:53 AM

I blocked R102.... combination tin hat and fangurl. A bigger waste of space than anything she objects to.

by Anonymousreply 103July 8, 2019 1:55 AM

If Biden were a good campaigner, he would have won one of his previous runs for the presidency. He's now been slowed by age to be an even worse campaigner. Nothing unexpected with that.

by Anonymousreply 104July 8, 2019 2:23 AM

[quote]Red states like Texas and Pennsylvania are turning blue in droves.

Pennsylvania is a swing state that mostly votes blue. It went red last time because voters had some real problems with Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 105July 8, 2019 2:35 AM

Yes r105, like Putin's campaign to stop her from being elected.

by Anonymousreply 106July 8, 2019 3:53 AM

I find it amusing people here are able to predict who can beat Trump. I really hope the rest of the people in the US are not as dense as some of the people here. It really isn't about who can beat Trump. It is about policies that can beat Trump.

Not that anyone cares, but tired of Biden and his 'I didn't ask Obama to endorse me' bullshit. He fucking implied that Obama was going to support him, but the reality is Obama is staying out of this until we have a nominee.

by Anonymousreply 107July 8, 2019 4:52 AM

Oldskool. Whenever he gets mad, he adds a "Man" at the end of whatever he's saying. I kinda like that.

by Anonymousreply 108July 8, 2019 9:36 AM

It's very simple but of course everyone wants to go on tangents here . Biden clearly has the best chance to beat Trump. Why? His appeal to the same older white moderate voters that voted Trump in. The rust belt. The over 50s. The fact that he is center left not way left as he says. There is only one other viable candidate who is not a far left progressive, which is Mayor Pete. His youth and sexuality however, are potential turn offs to the people needed to switch their votes from Trump.

Any progressive candidate..Harris, Warren, Sanders, has a worse chance than Biden of beating Trump simply by virtue of their progressiveness and perceived and/ or actual socialist leanings. These appeal less to and actually frighten exactly the voters needed to defeat Trump.

Whether you like Biden and what you think of him is not the question here.

by Anonymousreply 109July 8, 2019 10:32 AM

His “Man!” expression may wear thin with women these days. He just better not call anybody “Darlin’!”

by Anonymousreply 110July 8, 2019 10:57 AM

Sometimes so called friendly fire is harder to deal with than expected hostile fire. For one thing, you can’t really shoot back the same way.

by Anonymousreply 111July 8, 2019 10:58 AM

R109 No we don't need moderate boomers to beat Trump. The eldergays on here think that just because they are centrist boomers, everyone must be. Democrats have beaten republicans without that cohort MANY times, Obama v Romney being the most recent. Trump won one election, one time, and just barely at that. The fear mongering some of you do on here like he's some political god now is ridiculous and rankly embarrassing for some of you.

by Anonymousreply 112July 8, 2019 11:01 AM

R93 Don’t forget Bernie is still out there, sadly. All Trump needs to do to win is to divide the Dem vote (like the Repug votes in the primaries last time). He knows that. He will never have a majority of voters. How many times can a president win the EC and not the popular vote and not have an insurrection? I’m afraid at least one more time, but I really hope not. Every day I wish we had President Hillary. I felt the same way about Gore. A determined minority is ruining this country with unpopular and incompetent leadership and we all suffer because of it.

by Anonymousreply 113July 8, 2019 11:09 AM

r112 is ignorant and immaturely throws unecessary personal and childish insults around.

First of all, genuine concern about Trump is not "fearmongering". The guy is already in office! If you're not afraid of that reality and the very real possibility of it continuing and getting worse you're deluded or on so many anxiety meds you can't feel normal human emotions.

And once again those boomer moderate votes are exactly what is needed now, just saying that they're not because you think so is not an argument, it's a baseless statement. Citing an example of another election where they weren't needed is completely meaningless with regards to this one, especially Obama vs Romney!

The latest ABC Washington Post poll out this morning shows Trump at his highest approval rating ever. It also has Biden beating him by +10 points in a head to head matchup, while the next 4 candidates are virtually tied with him. The vast majority of Democrats top issue when asked is nominating a candidate that can beat Trump.

Meanwhile, this ignoramus keeps telling people the concern about beating Trump next year is merely an embarrassingly hysterical eldergay overreaction.

by Anonymousreply 114July 8, 2019 11:32 AM

Who can beat Trump? That's a matter of opinion. I am so tired of the narrative that only Biden can beat Trump. What policies are these candidates espousing that you think are too far left? You can quote these polls all day long if it makes you feel good. Political pundits have said don't trust the polls. Just as in 2016 there are people that are going to vote for Trump and never admit it. You are as delusional today as you were in 2016 when you kept saying there is no way Hillary could lose against Trump. Politics and how politicians campaign are changing, despite what Nancy thinks. A lot of you sound like the never will admit it Trump supporters.

by Anonymousreply 115July 8, 2019 1:55 PM

[quote]A self-perpetuating myth, based on current national poll numbers, which are in turn still based on name recognition.

This is an ironic statement, because the states that the democrats need to defeat Trump in 2020 are the battleground states, which are FAR MORE LIKELY to vote for a charismatic centrist like Biden than some crazy hair leftie like Bernie or a hectoring ivory tower scold like Warren.

by Anonymousreply 116July 8, 2019 2:00 PM

Chris Cuomo looks as delicious as ever.

by Anonymousreply 117July 8, 2019 2:07 PM

Tom Steyer rumored to be entering the race. Jesus. He loaded too.

I am liking Warren more and more. I believe she comes across smart, genuine, caring and sincere. She could win over the midwestern / PA voters with her advocacy for the middle class. I know some people think she is shrill but to me she is passionate.

by Anonymousreply 118July 8, 2019 2:56 PM

When your admirers have to redefine the word "shrill" to defend you, you have a problem.

by Anonymousreply 119July 8, 2019 8:32 PM

R116 Not true, Obama won all those states twice. You just ignore facts that don't fit your opinions.

by Anonymousreply 120July 9, 2019 1:20 AM

Obama won all those states because he wasn’t a shrill harpy like Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 121July 9, 2019 1:40 AM

Kamala Harris tries to seize on momentum by pushing clash with Joe Biden

CNN)Sen. Kamala Harris was on the campaign trail in South Carolina this weekend when a reporter asked her a question: What did she think of former Vice President Joe Biden's apology for comments he made about being civil and working with segregationist senators?

Harris, who at the first Democratic debate confronted Biden over those comments and his opposition to federally mandated desegregation busing, responded that Biden was "right to recognize the impact of his words" and said she applauded him for doing so.

But then she added: "There is still a point of disagreement between he and I, and that remains ... which is the issue of busing."

"We cannot rewrite history about what segregationists were doing at that time on a number of issues, including opposing busing," she added.

by Anonymousreply 122July 9, 2019 2:26 AM

She’s keeping the busing issue alive. She must have more dirt on Joe about it, which she’s going to bring out at a later date.

by Anonymousreply 123July 9, 2019 2:36 AM

We will not win if we are talking about busing. Hell even black people want to hear about healthcare and kitchen table issues. Stop pandering Kamala!

by Anonymousreply 124July 11, 2019 3:30 PM

r116 has no idea what irony means.

And please look at the PPP poll released today, which has shown Megan Rapinoe could defeat Trump and then tell me some more about the myth of "electability". Clinton was leading by 45.6 points and Jeb Bush by 6.2 points this time in 2015. National polls are worthless at this point.

by Anonymousreply 125July 11, 2019 3:46 PM

Will Obama campaign for Joe? That might help.

by Anonymousreply 126July 24, 2019 2:03 AM

Obama will campaign for the nominee, I'm sure. There's too much on the line.

by Anonymousreply 127July 24, 2019 2:10 AM

[quote] Will Obama campaign for Joe?

Read the body language.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128July 24, 2019 2:25 AM

Biden is still at the top of the polls in swing states especially among independent voters.

by Anonymousreply 129July 26, 2019 12:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!