Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Last Czars" on Netflix

I have more questions than answers:

Is this new or did I miss its debut? Is there frontal male nudity? Rasputin's? Why is it labelled "Provocative"? Who are Robert Jack, Susanna Herbert, and Ben Cartwright?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 19, 2019 1:08 PM

I've just reached the scene where Rasputin fingers a patient to climax.

It's an absolute hot mess of a show, and I love it!

by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2019 8:41 PM

It's weird. I wasn't expecting historians to pop up in it. It seemed to have been billed as some kind of big budget extravaganza rather than a documentary with some dramatised bits thrown in. It basically a run-of-the-mill talking head docco but the dramatised bits are a bit naughty.

by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2019 8:47 PM

It is a mix of bad acting and Historians dryly stating he obvious, which does not really work. The family murder is very slow and cool though

by Anonymousreply 3July 11, 2019 8:48 PM

It’s no “Nicholas and Alexandra.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 11, 2019 8:48 PM

Who named their kid Ben Cartwright?

by Anonymousreply 5July 11, 2019 9:37 PM

I just watched it and it was "meh." The two major problems with it were that it didn't have a clear and logical core story, and the producers should have just decided between documentary or drama but not both. I feel like they actually shot this as a scripted drama and then someone was like hey if we get some talking heads in her, we can stretch this out for six episodes. Personally, I feel this would have worked far better as just a straight drama, I mean there hasn't been a huge costume drama about the Romanovs since 1971's Nicholas and Alexandra.

Going back to the story itself it was just all over the place. Jumping from different time periods and then doing the whole Anastasia crap spanning six episodes that didn't really fit the rest of the narrative.

Someone asked about nudity, there are a lit of tits throughout a quick shot of a random penis at party of Rasputin's and we see Robert Jack's (Nicholas II) ass in all it's glory during an extended sex scene.

by Anonymousreply 6July 13, 2019 4:32 AM

I'd rather wait for this: Catherine the Great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 13, 2019 4:40 AM

Is this another shit show from Netflix?

The Last Czars: the historical drama that the whole of Russia is laughing at

This bizarre Netflix show about the Romanovs seems to have been made for people who have never heard of Russia. How do you spell disaster in Cyrillic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 13, 2019 4:47 AM

I agree with this review: " It’s clear the writers didn’t know which angle to approach the story from, so, they settled on all of them." I felt like the series was all over the place and yes, the Anna Anderson storyline served no purpose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 13, 2019 8:36 PM

It was very Meh. Wouldn’t have watched it if I had it to do over again. Did dig the Rasputin story though. There is a character to build a series around.

by Anonymousreply 10July 13, 2019 9:12 PM

R9 Link no longer works ... it's here now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 14, 2019 2:36 AM

It's a bizarre piece of work. Almost like a historical picture from the '30s or '40s where historic figures were always attractive. Alexandra Romanov was a 46 year old when shot to death: overweight, crippled by sciatica, never exactly pretty to begin with... she's played by a striking, very thin blonde.

It feels like fanfic.

Though it reignited my interest in the Romanovs... I mean, they fucked up as rulers, but still a pretty horrible way to die.

by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2019 12:10 PM

They left out the fact that Alexandra was wheelchair bound for at least the last 5 years of her life

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2019 12:14 PM

Trash, complete trash. Linked article lists some of the most egregious historical inaccuracies (per a Royal historical magazine) but the lack of attention to detail in showing 1905 Red Square containing Lenin’s tomb is telling..

Historical inaccuracies aside, it’s poorly acted. Unfocused and sometimes rambling narrative. Ultimately it gets a bit boring. Salacious bits of sex (and drugs!) Alix at one point even takes a hit of cocaine!

Although It is true both N&A used medicines which contained cocaine, Nicholas for dental pain (bad teeth), Alix also used prescribed medicines for her various ailments including arsenic injections but according to physician orders. Contrary to earlier available information, even Alexis was administered morphine during some of his attacks per one of the daughter’s diaries but part of the children’s morning routine was a visit by the Royal physician to address sore throats etc.

Another thing I found appalling was the misinformation related by the talking heads. There’s one overly excitable youngish one (Pablo de Orellana, a historian of some sort) whose crazy, wild eyed who might be cute if he’d calmed down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2019 12:52 PM

Meant ^ “wild eyed observations might be diverting and cute if he’d calm down”

For all his credentials, I don’t see anything to indicate any expertise in Russian history. Instead he repeats what is more or less common knowledge and manages to get facts wrong

by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2019 1:07 PM

Dammit, page keeps reloading and fucking up posts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 19, 2019 1:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!