Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The movie Laura (1944)

I watched it again today and loved the writing and the cinematography, and of course Gene Tierney was gorgeous. What was delicious, though, was just how effeminate two of the three men were who had the hots for Laura. Both Clifton Webb and Vincent Price pinged like Shawn Mendes getting fisted.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2019 1:20 AM

I love it. One of my all time favourite movies. So many good lines and scenes. When Dana Andrews first meets Clifton....Clifton is in his very opulent bathroom, typing in the bath: "It's lavish." sort of Camp Noir. It's just great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 4, 2019 9:40 PM

Dana Andrews was quite sexy.

by Anonymousreply 2July 4, 2019 9:41 PM

She was my next crush after Sonja Henie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 4, 2019 9:42 PM

I was surprised that Clifton’s shorts were visible in the bathtub scene.

by Anonymousreply 4July 4, 2019 9:43 PM

And a very butch Dame Judith Anderson is supposed to be passionately in love with Vincent Price'z character and jealous of Laura! But this only adds to my enjoyment of the film.

by Anonymousreply 5July 4, 2019 10:39 PM

R2 Yes, Dana was sexy. He had this kind of wounded loneliness about him, or at least some of the characters he played had. His role in "The Best Years Of Our Lives" for example. Another great movie. Very attractive guy.

by Anonymousreply 6July 4, 2019 11:02 PM

I hate the décor in her apartment. I want to shoot the lamps with the ruffled lampshades. Too fussy.

by Anonymousreply 7July 5, 2019 12:42 AM

I think "Laura" along with Lubitsch's "To Be or Not to Be" are my two absolute favorite films. I can watch them over and over and enjoy them like new every time.

by Anonymousreply 8July 5, 2019 12:55 AM

I think Waldo probably picked out those lamps, r7, just like he gave her the clock. Maybe she cleaned house once she was free of his fussy evil influence.

by Anonymousreply 9July 5, 2019 12:58 AM

Dana was great in this, and especially, The Best Years Of Our Lives. I know Fredric March got nominated for that film, and although he was very good, Dana had the tougher role.

Dana's younger brother was bad-actor-but-hot-stud Steve Forrest.

by Anonymousreply 10July 5, 2019 1:06 AM

[quote]Dana's younger brother was bad-actor-but-hot-stud Steve Forrest.

Steve Forrest plays one of Joan's boyfriend "Greg Savitt" near the beginning of "Mommie Dearest" basically based on Joan's actual lawyer and beau Greg Bautzer, who wrote quite a bit about what dating Joan in the late 1940s entailed!

by Anonymousreply 11July 5, 2019 1:41 AM

Speaking of Joan, Dana is terrific in Daisy Kenyon (1947) as Joan’s married lover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 5, 2019 1:52 AM

Dana and Gene were teamed in quite a few movies. They really should be better remembered; both were quite good at doing the best they could with 30th Century Fox's mostly second-tier material.

by Anonymousreply 13July 5, 2019 2:37 AM

Dana in the shower.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 5, 2019 2:47 AM

This was infamously remade for TV in 1968 with Lee Radziwill in the title role. It got such awful reviews that she supposedly bought up all of the existing tapes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 5, 2019 2:53 AM

I watched it too. I still can remember the first time I saw this movie and my shock that Laura was still alive.

by Anonymousreply 16July 5, 2019 3:01 AM

Dana was good, State Fair is one of my favorite movies but I have no idea what he’s doing in it.

by Anonymousreply 17July 5, 2019 3:23 AM

Dana Andrews drank heavily throughout his career. He may well have been liquored up during the filming of “Laura”.

Bonnie Cashin, the costume designer for “Laura”, stated she designed Gene Tierney’s costumes in a classic, tailored way instead of the overly mid-40’s glamour popular at the time because she knew this film would achieve iconic status and when the film was viewed in the future she didn’t want the costumes to look dated.

by Anonymousreply 18July 5, 2019 3:24 AM

I noticed that you can see the maker of the clock's name, I looked it up once. I love the time capsule of interior design and the ensemble of actors. Judith Anderson's cook is the wonderful Kathleen Howard, famous for playing several of W.C. Field's termagant wives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 5, 2019 5:10 AM

Been watching this on TCM today. I absolutely love the swanky apartments.

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2019 1:58 AM

[quote]This was infamously remade for TV in 1968 with Lee Radziwill in the title role. It got such awful reviews that she supposedly bought up all of the existing tapes.

I so wish this were available. The Clifton Webb role was played by George Sanders (Webb had been considered by 20th Century Fox for Sanders' role as Addison DeWitt in "All About Eve"), and the Judith Anderson character was played by DL icon Arlene Francis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2019 2:24 AM

The second half of this movie is such a cheat. I love the first party of the film but the movie goes to sleep when Dana awakens.

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2019 2:25 AM

And Dana’s sister was an assistant principal at my old high school, R10.

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2019 2:51 AM

Dana Andrews is gorgeously handsome in Renoir's American Southern Gothic atmospheric "Swamp Water", which I never knew existed until I learned of it today, and watched it. Very good movie. Co-starring Miss Anne Baxter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2019 2:57 AM

One of my favorite lesser-known Dana Andrews films is Canyon Passage (1946), a slick Jacques Tourneur-directed western co-starring Brian Donlevy and Susan Hayward; features a fight sequence that I suspect influenced a similar scene in George Stevens' Shane (1953).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2019 7:32 PM

The movie score is really haunting and beautiful.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2019 1:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!