Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Sandman' TV series from Neil Gaiman coming to Netflix

Finally!

[quote]More than three years after New Line's failed attempt to turn the graphic novel into a feature film, Netflix has signed what sources describe as a massive financial deal with Warner Bros. Television to adapt the best-seller into a live-action TV series. Sources familiar with the deal note that it is the most expensive TV series that DC Entertainment has ever done.

[quote]Allan Heinberg (Wonder Woman, ABC's The Catch, Grey's Anatomy) is set to write and serve as showrunner on the straight-to-series drama. Gaiman, who created the ongoing monthly comic, will exec produce alongside David Goyer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 28, 2021 3:29 PM

I Have tried hard to like Gaiman.

I recognize he's a decent writer. I acknowledge that his stories are well-done. I understand that people really like him.

However, I simply cannot bring myself to care. I just don't find his characters compelling or his plots engaging although the worlds he puts them in are very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2019 11:33 PM

I can't get into him either, r1.

by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2019 11:36 PM

What’s it about?

by Anonymousreply 3June 30, 2019 11:38 PM

This scares me. The description is all wrong for the story of The Dream Lord. Gaiman was a shit showrunner on Good Omens, and whilst I love Sandman with all my heart, his novels are absolute bullshit.

Did anyone here like 'American Gods? I gave up the novel half way through as it just seemed a mishmash of every idea he had left over from Sandman thrown into a dull story. But referencing Gods for some kind of known reaction. God, give me a Clive Barker novel anyday.

So, love Sandman, but think this will be shit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 16, 2019 9:08 AM

When OP?

by Anonymousreply 5July 16, 2019 9:10 AM

I can't bear Gaiman either.

by Anonymousreply 6July 16, 2019 9:22 AM

I'm only disappointed it's going to be animation.

by Anonymousreply 7July 16, 2019 9:25 AM

Hope it does better than The Swamp Thing.

by Anonymousreply 8July 16, 2019 9:26 AM

R6 Don't get me wrong, I hate gaimans novels, but Sandman is very good. Easily, the only good thing he did. And how fucking annoying is Amaanda palmer, the cheap cunt

R7 ...Honey, where does it say it will be animated? That would be the best way to tell the story, (The Lord of Sleep does look different to whomever he is interacting with), but cannot find any mention of it being animated.

And the use of the term 'showrunner' makes it seem it shall be using mortals

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 16, 2019 10:19 AM

r5 The deal has just been signed, so no date yet. However, it does say it will have 11 episodes (in its first season), which I forgot to include in the description.

by Anonymousreply 10July 16, 2019 11:14 AM

r7 Pretty sure it's not going to be animated. Not with that price tag.

by Anonymousreply 11July 16, 2019 11:17 AM

R10 Well, Preludes and Nocturnes is 6 issues, throw in The Sound of Her Wings, Maybe they will do some Dream Country stories and then head into Dolls House

by Anonymousreply 12July 16, 2019 11:28 AM

This will be awful. I felt like the Good Omens film adaptation was so hollow and just did not convey the book's atmosphere at all, what is an adaptation of the Sandman comics going to look like? Who could they ever cast to make a convincing Morpheus?

by Anonymousreply 13July 16, 2019 11:41 AM

R13 I thought Good Omens was more Douglas Adams than the book of Good Omens. Got up to episode 3 and quit after the cold open. Just crap

The book was more Terry than gaiman, but you are right, the tv version missed the dry attack on 'then' modern society.

And the problem with Morpheus is he looks different to everybody, and also takes different forms for how people know him, and what culture and time he is being depicted in.

But Ruby Rose must play Desire

by Anonymousreply 14July 16, 2019 11:49 AM

[Quote] But Ruby Rose must play Desire

She's busy playing Batwoman.

by Anonymousreply 15July 16, 2019 12:10 PM

Ben Wishaw for Dream.

by Anonymousreply 16July 16, 2019 1:38 PM

Will there be ass fucking, though?

by Anonymousreply 17July 16, 2019 2:04 PM

Cluracan was at it a fair bit, as I recall, R17; so was the Corinthian, though he was a touch problematic.

by Anonymousreply 18July 16, 2019 3:02 PM

Please don't cast Jared Leto in any part for this

Amen

by Anonymousreply 19July 16, 2019 3:37 PM

R18 Corinthian only kills males. But yeah, he does seem to like them young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 16, 2019 10:00 PM

R15 Desire only turns up a few times, as is the case for most of the characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 16, 2019 10:07 PM

How do you pronounce his surname? Is he family?

by Anonymousreply 22July 16, 2019 11:06 PM

Will Tom Ellis be playing Lucifer? The TV 'Lucy' is a far cry from the comic 'Lucifer Morningstar' so I really bloody hope not

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2019 4:54 AM

Have been reading The Sandman new universe comic, The Dreaming. Sigh, they mentioned how it is apart of the Multiverse and I shuddered.

Daniel, the Lord of Dreams, has abandoned his kingdom, leaving its borders broken and bloody. Lucien, his faithful warden, can feel his own mind slipping away as the Dream King's realm decays around him. And the other residents of the Dreaming, from the monstrous and mercenary Dora to the gruff, unflappable Merv Pumpkinhead, are fighting among themselves to preserve what they can.

No surprise Danny Boy quit, his Mother was certifiable from the start. And His Dad being dead when he was conceived. His genes were shitty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2019 8:18 AM

Most of the series adapted from his fictions/novels/books are insufferable shit.

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2019 8:57 AM

R25 Yep, we all seem agreed on that. His books are weak as fuck, he is no Clive Barker, that crazy bitch can write novels

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2019 9:06 AM

Cast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 28, 2021 2:36 PM

Absolutely shit. Fanboy crap

by Anonymousreply 28January 28, 2021 2:45 PM

I don't see how this can be done with a crapton of CGI. The casting is pretty good actually.

by Anonymousreply 29January 28, 2021 3:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!