Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Echo in the Canyon

What an amazing film! I long for the 1960s. And Jakob Dylan is a hotty.

by Anonymousreply 13November 16, 2019 11:53 AM

Seriously? I thought it was terrible. It was a vanity piece by J. Dylan to push his boring cover album of the truly talented from Laurel Canyon in the 60s.

He's a terrible interviewer, has no facial expressions or excitement, and a whole lot of history was left out so that J. Dylan could sing the songs that the Byrds and others performed with such brilliance.

The review and comments in Variety are spot on. Boring. Save your money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2019 4:38 AM

Joni Mitchell being left out was inexcusable. My guess is that Jakob left her out on purpose because she called his father a plagiarist.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2019 10:14 AM

There's also the fact that she can no longer speak, r2. They could at least have mentioned her name, however. Jim Morrison's, too.

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2019 8:49 PM

Where's Joni?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2019 8:33 PM

Thank you R1

Just saw it this weekend and the review you posted summed up what I was thinking quite nicely.

Granted it was 20 years before I was born, but I've always loved the music of that era and was bummed that it turned into a Jakob Dylan commercial. And your take on his interview style is spot on.

by Anonymousreply 5August 5, 2019 8:46 PM

I think Joni's speech is fucked up from her stroke, and I'm assuming they filmed these interviews after it happened. My dad was born and raised in Los Angeles in the 1960s, and was a kid during that whole California scene. To this day, he says whenever he hears the Mamas & the Papas come on the radio, it reminds him of being at the pool with his aunts. I have an affinity for that music myself simply because I grew up listening to it. I'm curious, for those who have seen the doc, does Michelle Phillips appear much in it? I'm very curious about her stories.

by Anonymousreply 6August 5, 2019 8:59 PM

[quote]I'm curious, for those who have seen the doc, does Michelle Phillips appear much in it? I'm very curious about her stories.

Yes, hers is one of the current-day faces we see, voices we hear. SEE IT.

by Anonymousreply 7August 5, 2019 9:16 PM

She is still very pretty (for a 70 year old lady) and talks alot about how she was always having affairs and how the song Go Where You Wanna Go is about that

It's funny because she looks like someone's sweet midwestern grandma and she's talking about all the sex and drugs and rock and roll.

While the review at R1 is spot on, I'd still recommend seeing it. There's enough in there to make it worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 8August 5, 2019 9:26 PM

I must have viewed another film. While it was a bit slow at times, for true music fans it was engrossing and entertaining. The soundtrack of covers from that era are excellent. Get the album if you can. I purchased in on vinyl with a gatefold sleeve and a full size poster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 4, 2019 1:40 AM

I enjoyed although I have the same reservations as some of the others.

by Anonymousreply 10September 4, 2019 2:43 AM

In addition to not mentioning Joni and Jim - and not enough was made of Cass’ influence - I thought the elephant in the room was Jakob not mentioning who his father is. I mean, yes, we get it, you’re accomplished in your own right, but at the very least it’s a fun fact!

by Anonymousreply 11November 16, 2019 4:17 AM

Crosby made some harsh digs against McCartney without naming him, despite everyone from era praising The Beatles as the catalyst for all the work that came after.

by Anonymousreply 12November 16, 2019 11:36 AM

Sad to see Tom Petty in one of his last interviews RIP

by Anonymousreply 13November 16, 2019 11:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!