Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Black Democrats Close Ranks Around Joe Biden in South Carolina

[QUOTE]The evening served as a reminder of how difficult it remains for any rivals to mount a sustained attack against Biden. In South Carolina, voters “either don’t know about it or it doesn’t bother them," said local Dem strategist Antjuan Seawright.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 23, 2019 2:27 AM

They have too much at stake to fall for the manufactured outrage of Twitterati.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2019 9:33 PM

Biden’s two leading rivals Bernie and Liz have looked down upon the Obama presidency with disdain. Now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2019 9:40 PM

But Ms. Harris is FIERCE!

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2019 9:49 PM

No surprise, he's the Democratic front-runner, the candidate who most scares the shit out of the rethugs and a really decent guy to boot.

Trying to drag him is not a winning strategy, it's a strategy to get the dragger kicked in the cunt by Democratic voters.

Do not attack our candidates. Do not attack fellow-Democratic contenders. Talk about your own positives and plans or shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2019 9:58 PM

How did Elizabeth Warren disparage Obama? She almost worked with him, but Republicans blocked it.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2019 10:15 PM

R5, Obama and Warren were a mixed bag. She assailed him for the Asia trade agreement. And more. He seem to be cold towards her.

I agree with R4, let's not attack our candidates. Let them debate and let's get to a nominee without a political brawl. Republicans are good at not being single issue zealots. Democrats not so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2019 10:24 PM

Whats often not remembered is it took a while for black voters to coalesce around Obama. Really not until he won Iowa.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2019 10:35 PM

Pastors have a lot of influence in the Black community and churches have a stake in the establishment so they will always rally around the business as usual candidate. I hope Warren uses the 50 state strategy.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2019 10:47 PM

Warren will lose to the orange traitor when he turns her into Hillary 2.0 despite the many differences.

We need an acceptable centrist. He or she can have a lefty VP but the top of the ticket can't go there unless we want to lose. Hate on it all you want, the truth is the truth.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2019 10:55 PM

Just let Biden have it, choose a woman for a running mate, and let's get on with things.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2019 10:56 PM

Corey Booker had better announce his wedding date soon. His obvious attempt at getting his name in the news hasn't budged voters.

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2019 10:57 PM

I really wish I could understand why some of you are pushing for a woman. Don't we want the right woman? I like Warren, but she kind of screwed herself with that DNA bullshit. And once again, Harris for AG or State.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2019 10:59 PM

The DNA isn't the problem with Warren. Better to get that done and dusted super-early.

Harris could go to AG or State, she could also be VP.

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2019 11:03 PM

Exactly, R7. There have been other black candidates (Jesse Jackson, Shirley Chisholm, Al Sharpton) but black voters didn't automatically line up behind them.

Black voters are not a single minded entity, just like gay voters are not. A common theme here is that black voters will not vote for Mayor Pete because he is gay and all blacks hate gay people. There's only a 7 percent difference in views about gays between white and black Americans. See 2017 poll below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2019 11:04 PM

Harris as the VP brings nothing to the ticket. California is solidly blue. We need someone from a swing state.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2019 11:06 PM

The South Carolina voters (mostly black) are not very well informed. They are low-information voters.

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2019 11:07 PM

I'm just saying it's possible, she brings herself to the ticket.

I'd rather see Stacey Abrams but you never know.

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2019 11:09 PM

If any good candidate campaigns in all 50 states and spends a little extra in Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, that is the best strategy any candidate can implement. Show up and talk to the people, let them see you, help them to feel they know you.

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2019 11:10 PM

Way to trash your fellow democrats R16. That's going to get you far.

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2019 11:10 PM

R14, that opinion data is meaningless because it's for the population at large. Show me the opinion research on how different groups of likely Democratic primary voters -- or even just registered Democrats -- view gays.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2019 11:11 PM

R6 ever hear of abortion.? That’s the king of one issue voters.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2019 11:15 PM

[quote]I really wish I could understand why some of you are pushing for a woman.

Hillary barely won the women's vote in 2016. She lost the white women's vote to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2019 11:19 PM

White women dislike other women even more than men do.

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2019 11:39 PM

Black voters were around 25% of the primary vote in 2016.

But 2016 had California Near Last while 2020 has it right after SC. Pete can offset any deficit with the AA community if he does well in Nevada, Texas, and California.

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2019 11:39 PM

No, R23, no one dislikes women more than men do.

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2019 11:40 PM

R16, those so-called low information voters you cite helped make the Democratic win in the 2018 happen.

Black Voters Propelled Blue Wave, Study Finds

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2019 11:51 PM

While the article @ R26 is a little misleading misleading since African-Americans were not the top voting minority in 2018 and the largest chunk of black votes are concentrated in the South. Black women who end up voting usually vote for Democrats at high percentages.

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2019 12:03 AM

[QUOTE]The South Carolina voters (mostly black) are not very well informed. They are low-information voters.

As opposed to the high information voters in Massachusetts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2019 12:04 AM

r25 The only woman I've ever heard actually say that men hate women was Amy Schumer and it was not in her act. She said it during an interview and it gave me some respect for her at a time people were ripping her apart in the press.

Women aren't the only ones who suffer the consequences though, a lot of hate gay men get is because the effeminate gays (which is a stereotype we are all lumped into) are equated with women and to straight men women = weakness. It's the weakness that straight men hate because it reflects what gigantic babies they are. Straight guys are the biggest pussies, it's actually shocking what absolute whiny punks they are. But seeing the weakness of straight men makes me proud of our community. We get a lot of hate yet so many of us refuse to back down from who we are. There is so much bravery in the gay community and seeing it just makes me angrier any time I witness some straight asshole being homophobic are sexist.

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2019 1:54 AM

*or sexist

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2019 1:55 AM

All these women DEMANDING a woman candidate in 2020 really frost my ASS!

Bitch! We just HAD a woman candidate and y'all barely showed up to support her and the freaking white women voted for Trump!!

You AWREDY done HAD yourses! Pipe DOWN!

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2019 2:06 AM

After thinking about it, I think some democrats are desperate to nominate a woman before the republicans do. I think that is what is driving this mad desire to push Harris and Warren. Two great candidates mind you, but neither are setting the world on fire.

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2019 2:17 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2019 2:21 AM

R20, here's more data that shows views by political affiliation. It's difficult to find recent breakdowns for Democratic subgroups groups' view for the 2020 race. They may not exist yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2019 3:12 AM

They exist, R34, but it's not public polling.

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2019 3:16 AM

R36, White people all vote Republican, so the Democrats depend heavily on black voters. They've earned the right to have a strong say in who the Democratic nominee should be. And unlike Latinos, they actually turn out and vote.

by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2019 3:33 AM

r37, Thats not true you dumb ass bitch. How the fuck could dems be competitive and get a higher percentage of the vote, though still losing, if white people all vote republican.

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2019 3:34 AM

Warren guests on New York urban radio show.

It's a good interview, give it a listen.

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2019 3:39 AM

take two

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2019 3:39 AM

R36, given your comment above, your thread about cheating on your partner (I Fucked A Woman), and your thread about dating a trainer who is vegan (Beat For Eating Meat), I hope your claim is true (MY LAST THREAD FOR A WHILE).

YOU SOUND UNHINGED.

by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2019 3:42 AM

[quote]Warren guests on New York urban radio show.

She called Cardi b a hoe!

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2019 3:43 AM

r10, no Biden is lousy.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2019 4:01 AM

I am all for Biden getting the nomination. If 2018 proved anything it's that the new lefties and the fauxgressives don't win elections.

by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2019 4:05 AM

I'm fine with Biden

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2019 4:06 AM

Most sane democrats are, R45.

by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2019 4:09 AM

Black Staff Matters: Behind the Scenes with the Biden 2020 Team

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2019 4:45 AM

Biden= Hillary 2.0

by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2019 4:51 AM

R48 = dumb and dumber

by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2019 4:55 AM

I don't think we should be trashing Democrats, now or ever. The herd will thin in the coming months, we should be focusing on the positive in each in them and get all the good stuff on the platform. Yes, we need to be aware of their weaknesses, but in an informed way that allows us to see the whole picture.

It bothers me to see Biden get bashed but the one positive is that trump creates so much distraction that a lot of news is forgotten right away. Biden, and all of them, need to hang in there and get their messages out so we can make informed decisions, not on negative sound bites, but on the strengths they offer.

One thing about Biden, his years of service go so far back that it's easy to find errors and missteps. But he's accomplished so much good in those years, too. No other candidate has the quantity of experience he has, it's difficult to make comparison if a candidate was a baby when Biden first entered the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2019 5:22 AM

It’s a shame Joe Biden himself doesn’t do more to highlight the good he’s done. Why not take some of those millions you collected and put out ads in early states? Even online ads would do. The New York Times, Washington Post and Huffington Post sure aren’t going to tell us anything good about you, Joe, so you better start selling yourself.

by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2019 1:39 PM

Biden will lose even more spectacularly than Hillary did.

Keep pushing him if you want to see some epic Election Night meltdowns on MSNBC and CNN.

by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2019 10:00 PM

[quote]Biden= Hillary 2.0

R48 = Idiot

Biden can't even measure to be Hillary 1.0, let alone a Hillary upgrade.

Warren and Castro come the closest to Madam Clinton, but still fall way short.

by Anonymousreply 53June 23, 2019 10:05 PM

Castro is a non-starter here

by Anonymousreply 54June 23, 2019 10:06 PM

Agreed R54, not because he is not competent, but because America is racist. Let's be honest here.

On substance Castro and Warren have the most impressive platforms thus far.

by Anonymousreply 55June 23, 2019 10:08 PM

R44: We won because of the left and progressives (not gonnna use your retarded troll names). I'm so sorry reality doesn't comport to your right wing world view.

by Anonymousreply 56June 23, 2019 10:09 PM

Blacks are such smart people. I really don’t get how they don’t see that establishment candidates don’t give a fuck about them. How have they not figured out that in the 50 years Biden’s been in DC he’s don’t nothing but stop progress from happening? And did the bidding for corprorations and billionaires?

by Anonymousreply 57June 23, 2019 10:39 PM

[quote]Blacks are such smart people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 23, 2019 10:42 PM

He'd better pick a great VP. Buttegieg, perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 59June 23, 2019 10:43 PM

First, Hillary actually won the white women's vote--it was reported that she didn't because of exit polling, but later research shows that she actually won the white woman vote by a small margin--47 to 45 percent.

The big problem was that low-education white voters came out in droves and voted for Trump. Basically, he got the old white people vote.

Which is why Trump is scared of Biden--he's not as exciting as the other candidates, but old people like him. Old white people like him. And old white people *always* vote. So do African-American women, but there are more old white people. And old white people are also overrepresented proportionately in the electoral college since they live in all those low-population states.

But even in big, diverse California with its majority-minority population, the biggest voting bloc is old white voters. Which is why Dianne Feinstein had no problem beating back Kevin DeLeon's senate challenge. The old white people of California are more liberal than their counterparts in, say, Ohio, but they're relatively moderate. Also in the moderate faction are Asians and Latinos. Bernie Sanders lost across the state in the 2016 primary, including all nine Bay Area counties.

I think Warren will pick up some of New England and some of the red states where the Democrats react by being very progressive. But Texas, where Blacks make up a sizeable chunk of the Democratic electorate will go to Biden. Nevada's Democrats are basically unionized service workers in Las Vegas, heavily Hispanic, but they'll also go for Biden as a mainstream Democrat, maybe Warren if she has good outreach.

California's default will be Biden unless someone manages a really good media campaign. It should be Kamala's, but I think she just hasn't been in the Senate long enough for voters to have that kind of loyalty to her. Buttigieg is a nonissue here. Warren, though, should pick up most of the progressive votes that went to Bernie.

Which is why Biden led in the last poll of the state--even over favorite daughter Kamala Harris.

by Anonymousreply 60June 23, 2019 10:46 PM

You'd probably have a better time reaching out to them if you didn't call them the "blacks" r57.

by Anonymousreply 61June 23, 2019 10:46 PM

r61, I've never heard that blacks don't like to be called "blacks". I've heard them complain about being called the hyper pc term "African Americans". Blacks is what they call themselves.

by Anonymousreply 62June 23, 2019 10:48 PM

Nope r62. I think you are trying to say "black", as in black people, or that black guy. That works well.

Using the term blacks makes you look out of touch. Trust me on this.

by Anonymousreply 63June 23, 2019 10:53 PM

r63, Well if I'm out of touch so is your favorite guy Joe Biden. He uses it too. he also used it in his famous statement in favor of racial segregation

by Anonymousreply 64June 23, 2019 10:55 PM

R60, As the pundits were saying on MSNBC this weekend, Biden is not making gaffes when he talks about working with segregationists. He's doing so on purpose to appeal to older white voters who are more centrist and long for politicians who can reach across the aisle to get things done. If you remember, Obama ran the same type of campaign. I'm sure Obama and his old team even told him to run this way. Biden knows exactly what he's doing.

The risk for Biden is that he's running a general election style campaign in the primary. It's going to make it more difficult for him in the primary, but if he wins, he'll be set up beautifully for the general against Trump.

by Anonymousreply 65June 23, 2019 10:57 PM

Yes, Joe Biden often says things that sound out of touch r64. And I have no earthly idea why you called him my favorite guy.

Because I tried to correct you on something it must be because I love Biden?! C'mon now.

by Anonymousreply 66June 23, 2019 10:58 PM

Like him or not, Joe is the best bet to beat Trump. It would be wise to recognize this early and not buy all the negative stories his own party are making sure get media coverage. Wise up!

by Anonymousreply 67June 23, 2019 11:00 PM

Biden was a loyal VP to the first black President. If people think they are going to convince black voters that he’s racist or doesn’t care about them, they are crazy. I get why his competition needs to dent his support but it’s going to take a hell of a lot to move that needle.

Emotions win elections. Black voters are still emotionally invested in Barack, Michelle and yes, Joe Biden.

by Anonymousreply 68June 23, 2019 11:12 PM

Joe Biden was one of Barack Obama’s top advisors and helped pass every major piece of legislation he signed. Black folks know how much Barack counted on Joe. He loved him.

by Anonymousreply 69June 23, 2019 11:45 PM

R56 very few of the progressive candidates won and those that did wonmin very blue areas. Moderates beat the progressives in the primaries last year and were responsible for giving Democrats the majority. This is why anancy doesn't capitulate to progressives.

by Anonymousreply 70June 24, 2019 12:47 AM

Some assholes were accusing him of being related to Root...or is it Roof? Whatever, Kamala completely misquoted Joe...I say fuck her. I did not want to vote for Joe but the bullshit surrounding this issue makes me want to support him.

by Anonymousreply 71June 24, 2019 8:29 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 22, 2019 2:19 AM

r72

[quote]Later in the article, Seawrite, who is a 5th-generation member of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, which condemns same-sex relationships, suggests that if Buttigieg wants to succeed, he should quit talking about being gay and instead focus on “the issues of the day.”

He barely ever talks about being gay unless he's asked about it, you ignorant piece of shit. Baptists and evangelicals are the absolute fucking worst.

by Anonymousreply 73August 22, 2019 2:30 AM

The only democrats I like are Bill Clinton and Obama. I'll vote for Biden if I have to.

by Anonymousreply 74August 22, 2019 2:32 AM

*Oh, I see now he's neither of those denominations I mentioned. I guess the Methodist Episcopal Church is just as bad when it comes to homosexuality. Good to know.

by Anonymousreply 75August 22, 2019 2:36 AM

[quote]I guess the Methodist Episcopal Church is just as bad when it comes to homosexuality. Good to know.

All churches are just as bad when it comes to homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 76August 22, 2019 2:38 AM

R76 I have churches in my neighborhood with pride flags flying in the front.

by Anonymousreply 77August 22, 2019 2:39 AM

I am sure there are many witty and humorous and sardonic replies to this thread. I have no idea if JB will get the nomination, but bottom line is to wipe trump's ass with his own face or better yet all those swirls of orange and grey hair. If that happens with Biden being the dem candidate, that is all I need to know. I will vote for any dem , even a non-dem, i.e. Bernie, if I have to.

This aint no party, this aint no disco, this aint no fooling around--- seems to be quite accurate in these times.

by Anonymousreply 78August 22, 2019 2:47 AM

Brain-damaged, lair, plagiarist, crook, Wall Street Globalist and in China's back pocket, only the dumbest DLers would vote for this train wreck.

by Anonymousreply 79August 22, 2019 2:57 AM

We need independents and swing voters to vote Dem. These were people who voted for Trump. I think we need Bernie Sanders. The media better stop with this shit, or we will lose again. IF the progressives like bernie and so do independents and swing voters than Bernie will crush Trump.

by Anonymousreply 80August 22, 2019 2:58 AM

Independents and swing voters do not like Bernie.

by Anonymousreply 81August 22, 2019 11:30 PM

r80, Another deranged BernieBro that he thinks he is the only option to defeat Trump. This is NOT 2013. Go the fuck away.

by Anonymousreply 82August 23, 2019 2:18 AM

Not a fan if Biden, but will vote for him if need be. He could not wait to back-stab Hillary after the 2016 elections.

by Anonymousreply 83August 23, 2019 2:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!