Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The luck of the draw.

"Knowing the role of randomness, maybe more of us would have a doctor look at that little lump, or spot between our toes that looks weird even though it’s on skin that never sees the sun. I don’t smoke, but because I have learned that 15% of lung cancer cases occur in people who never smoked, I am more likely to take seriously a persistent chest pain or cough, which really could be lung cancer. Recognizing the random factor might save some lives."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2019 10:51 AM

I believe that viruses are the culprits for setting off many life-threatening cancers.

As the article points out, cell mutation errors occur even in healthy tissues, but as the years pile up, sometimes these errors lead to uncontrolled cell mutation, invasive growth, and metastasis. I think viruses are often the cause.

And something to ponder -- what if viruses are eventually found on other planets. Will we then know them to be the "aliens among us?"

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2019 10:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!