Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How will Trump fare in the 2020 debates?

Almost everything he promised has been a fail (The Wall; genius deal-making; trade; draining the swamp; the end of Obamacare and the start of the incredible Trumpcare; infrastructure miracles... ).

And he won't have Hillary standing silently with her arms folded like a perturbed school marm. The new candidates will go for his jugular and humiliate him onstage (if they're smart).

Will he finally snap on live TV?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109July 1, 2019 1:53 PM

I think he'll have Uday and Qusay behind him. Qusay will hold him up so he remains standing, and gesticulate his hands like a volunteer on an improv stage act, and Uday will be the Cyrano de Bergerac of the pair; all Donald has to do is move his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2019 2:28 AM

I can picture Biden vs Trump (much as I'm not particularly a Biden fan). Biden has that boyish smile and with all his recent plastic surgery he doesn't look bad for an old guy. Trump looks like a bag of lard. Even with his age and his tendency to gaffe, Biden is a pro and won't be intimidated by the orange ape. Hillary was a great debater but people didn't like her. People do like Joe Biden. I don't think Liz Warren works this time around when the most important thing is getting Trump out. But I could see her as VP for sure.

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2019 2:36 AM

[quote]And he won't have Hillary standing silently with her arms folded like a perturbed school marm.

Idiot OP, Hillary won all three debates, easily.

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2019 2:40 AM

Will it matter how he does? It didn't seem to in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2019 2:43 AM

Everybody’s on to his game, so all the candidates will train and practice knocking him back. They know he can’t take a punch. He goes off script easily and is easily provoked into totally hilarious temper tantrums.

The lesson for everyone - don’t be a Hillary. Don’t hold your punch. Land them often. Rabbit punch him, slap his flabby face until he cries. He can’t take it. Bring up the pee tape. Bring up the hookers. Bring up the whore payoffs. Bring up the Trump U payoff. Ask if his sister was on the take. Ask why his grandfather ran whorehouses in Seattle and is that he’s so promiscuous? Was he sexually abused?

That’s how you get under his skin. Hit. Hit. Hit. Never stop.

He’ll be all a-twitter.

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2019 2:44 AM

Sadly, it won't matter. He cannot do worse than he did in 2016 when he still got 63 million votes.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2019 2:45 AM

Dukakis got 45% of the popular vote, but was wiped out in the electoral college. That’s our goal.

Sweep Trump onto the Just for Men and Self Tanner ashbin of history. No matter the popular vote, ensure he doesn’t get enough to get the EC vote in the key WTA states, nor get a majority in proportional states.

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2019 2:50 AM

trump IS a bag of lard, ugly, greasy, deadly LARD. trump has taught me how to hate. I figure that he has lost a few votes from 2016 that he can no longer count on. in fact , I know that he has. hopefully SOME of those who were 14 in 2016 and will vote for the first time are as tired and exhausted from his shit as so much of the population is. Sorry, but being a redneck does not mean that you are in the majority of the population, even though that is the supreme leader's hope. so sad that there are gay, latino and black rednecks to add to the damage, but hopefully not that many.

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2019 2:52 AM

You can punch all that you want if a shady FBI director derails your campaign in the last minute, if Russia hacks voting machines and if the BernorBusters rather vote for Trump.

- Hillary, the bitch who fucking warned you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2019 2:52 AM

You have to treat him as if he is of inferior intellect, presenting facts against him. Show that he is amusing and lazy. That will make him explode.

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2019 2:55 AM

As others have said, it won't matter how he does at the debates. He'll get reelected.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2019 2:55 AM

Not unless something changes between now and then, r11. He does not currently have the votes and it's not clear where he's going to get them.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2019 2:58 AM

He didn't have the votes in 2016, either R12.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2019 3:01 AM

Not comparable, R13, as you know. And he's in so deep now that he's firing anyone who delivers bad news to him. Get a load of his latest message: It's just too complicated for polls.

[quote]But in a Tuesday interview, his 2020 campaign manager Brad Parscale indicated Trump’s reelection effort will attempt to portray public opinion research as itself unreliable, even impossible — including Fox News surveys. It may be a preview of the campaign’s efforts to downplay the importance of polls as Trump, a significantly unpopular president according to numerous credible polls, tries to win another term.

[quote]“The country is too complex now just to call a couple hundred people and ask them what they think,” Parscale told CBS News’ Major Garrett. “The way turnout now works — the abilities that we have to turnout voters — the polling can’t understand that.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2019 3:04 AM

I have a feeling we'll be in for a repeat of the "unskewed polls" idiocy that was prevalent in 2012. The idiot who was most responsible for that never did admit that he got it so badly wrong.

None of this is to say that Trump will lose; it's just to point out that it's really not a good idea to fire the people who give you bad news and to pretend that the news doesn't exist.

Back on topic: those won't be real "debates" in 2020. Trump will just spew whatever shit he wants, likely mostly ignoring the Democratic candidate's remarks other than to say "wrong" a lot. There are a couple of different ways to handle him and I think most of the candidates are smart enough to figure it out and do so.

Will the debates move the needle? Probably not much, if at all. By then, most people will have pretty firmly made up their minds. I doubt we'll have more than 5% of the population that will be persuadable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2019 3:11 AM

It all depends who he is debating. Remember, he made assumed front-runner Jeb Bush just melt on the stage.

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2019 3:13 AM

R16. Name a Bush who debated well.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2019 3:16 AM

What would be some of the debate questions?

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2019 3:18 AM

Considering how the Dems take every opportunity to display how unsuitable they are Trump won't have to say a word.

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2019 3:20 AM

R19 adores sadists and wreckers.

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2019 3:28 AM

His opponent should ask hi:m what he got for the country in exchange for moving the American Embassy to Jerusalem? Or what the country got for his meetings with Kim? His opponent should have a few items in which the US conceded on long standing positions and got nothing in exchange.

Then when Trump talks about his good relations with various leaders, he should be reminded that nobody cares about his play dates as they haven’t served to benefit the country. “They won’t be returning your calls after you lose.”

Then the opponent should interrupt him, saying: “Nothing. You got nothing. You’re a lousy negotiator and a failure”.

Then watch him melt down in front of the cameras.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2019 3:32 AM

His opponent should insist on a three hour debate, Trump almost blew A gasket after the debate at the Reagan Library because it was hot, and he had to stand for three hours.

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2019 3:34 AM

“Obama left office with some grey hair. Donald Trump will leave in a jar.” - Amanda Seales

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2019 3:40 AM

And what does the US "get" for the 10s of billions of dollars it bribes homo-murdering regimes in Afghanistan, Egypt, Pakistan, Iraq, Syria, Iran, etc?

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2019 3:40 AM

He will say that the debates are rigged by the biased MSM and refuse to participate. It will be a huge scandal for about five days and then will be forgotten like everything else he does.

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2019 3:44 AM

Interrupt him constantly with EXCUSE ME EXCUSE ME and wave your finger in his face like he did to Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2019 3:45 AM

[quote] And what does the US "get" for the 10s of billions of dollars it bribes homo-murdering regimes in Afghanistan, Egypt, Pakistan, Iraq, Syria, Iran, etc?

The US agreed to pay both Israel and Egypt billions per year in the Camp Davis peace accord. We bought peace. In Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iraq, we buy influence. In some cases, we sell weapons that create US jobs. Etc. I don’t think we’re giving tax dollars to Syria or Iran.

We didn’t get peace or influence from Trump’s bumbling diplomacy. Or anything of value to the country.

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2019 3:51 AM

R26, I’ve been waiting for someone to say “You’re excused, Donald”. Or “You’ll be excused if you answer the question.”

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2019 3:53 AM

I agree with R25. I've posted my belief on one of the other political threads awhile back. I believe there will be no debates. Trump will figure some way to weasel out of them. Just like he weaseled out of releasing his taxes and all the other bullshit stuff he's gotten away with. "I would love to debate but my lawyers won't let me because....." and some made up bullshit excuse.

Watch....

by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2019 5:22 AM

if only some billionaire would create a 24 hour a day cable channel that shows the dishonesty and horror that is trump. there is so damn much ammunition to be had for such a thing.

by Anonymousreply 30June 20, 2019 5:34 AM

And the debates won't matter anyway. Does anyone believe voters will watch them and hope to learn who to vote for? This is not 1992 anymore.

by Anonymousreply 31June 20, 2019 5:36 AM

Whoever debates Trump should, in their final statement, look at the camera and say something like, "It's time for you to go to the polls and make your voices heard. It's time for you to tell this man..." turning to face Twitler, "...President Trump, you're fired!"

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2019 5:54 AM

Your president has dementia. (See "Oranges," "Tim Apple," etc.) By the time the debates come round, he'll be even more incoherent than he is already. If he lasts that long, it will probably be difficult even for his staunchest supporters to pretend everything is OK.

by Anonymousreply 33June 20, 2019 11:48 AM

[quote]Not unless something changes between now and then, [R11].

Yet everyone here is proposing that the dems use the same exact strategy Hillary used, mainly ridiculing and attacking Trump 95% of the time while neglecting her very own platform.

Dems need to address current quality of life and not just Trump bash. That only gets the repugs fired up.

Didn’t work before won’t work now.

by Anonymousreply 34June 20, 2019 12:09 PM

He won't fair very well, but that doesn't really matter.

Most of the time, he'll be standing on a podium behind a dirty great big seal.

by Anonymousreply 35June 20, 2019 12:37 PM

He won't debate anyone because he knows he doesn't have any grasp whatsoever. He'll just continue with his insipid rallies.

by Anonymousreply 36June 20, 2019 12:39 PM

The debates don't matter. Americans don't care about intellectual arguments. They've already made up their minds by the time the debates roll in. Perhaps there was a time when the debates mattered when there were only 4 news channels, and regular folks paid more attention to what the pundits and journalists had to say and how they evaluated each candidate.

I am only talking about the presidential debates; not the primaries.

by Anonymousreply 37June 20, 2019 12:59 PM

#5 wins.

by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2019 6:57 PM

The only thing we can say with certainty is Maddow will declare Trump lost and the democrat won.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2019 7:06 PM

What r36 said. I don't think it's in the constitution or a law that says there has to be a debate. He's never looked to expand his base and knows he won't change any minds. So he will bust another norm and it won't matter to Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2019 7:37 PM

I wonder how Pete would do against him. I'm afraid trump's bullying manner would throw Pete's more deliberate (and sane) approach. Remember, Hilary only won the first debate after weeks of studying Trump and how to throw him off. And as said above, when she could throw him off, she wasn't speaking policy. One either has to get down in the dirt to "win" with trump (or throw him off) or play the high road (and then he will scream over you and the idiots will love that drama). Basically, most of the population wants the debates to be a MMA fight like rounds 2 and 3 were w Hil and trump.

by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2019 7:49 PM

Trump will not debate because his deplorables do not care about issues. They are so stupid, they don't think the government effects their lives.

by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2019 7:57 PM

I agree with the posters who said Trump will refuse to debate and instead increase use of rallies. His campaign has foreshadowed that already by stating they do not need to persuade any voters to move to the Trump camp, they just need to rally the base to turn out and vote. It may not be a winning strategy, but it appears to be the strategy they have chosen.

by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2019 8:03 PM

r42 is right. And the foreign "oppo researchers" will help in hacking the vote. The machines CAN be hacked since a lot of them are owned by the Rethugs. The only way to win is for huge numbers to vote Democratic as in 2018. And then it seems likely he will incite his thuggish followers to violence and they will likely start riots all over the country if he loses (and of course say that it's rigged). I just hope law enforcement will be prepared. It won't be pretty. I also think he will depart the country quickly to a place that won't extradite him--like say as soon after the election as it is clear that he has lost. Moscow probably. It's f...ing depressing.

by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2019 11:42 PM

what makes you think he will even agree to any debates? If he does it will be on limited terms. He will try and make it about his opponent and the topics will not deal with his stances on political things, as he doesnt know anything about history, how government works, foreign policy, etc..he will try and turn it into current events and dominate the debate ending up having said nothing. And the masses will vote for him in Nov

by Anonymousreply 45June 22, 2019 1:06 AM

R41, it's tough to tell. Trump's bullying definitely threw off Jeb Bush and most of the other primary challengers. But when Tim Kaine tried (to a lesser degree) the same tactics in the VP debate, almost everyone said he looked overbearing and that Pence won. So you never know.

by Anonymousreply 46June 22, 2019 2:06 AM

Here's the thing OP: You and I and everyone else on this thread thought Hillary won all three debates.

Clearly the Deplorables felt differently.

No matter what Trump does, if he sits there and recites the alphabet incorrectly, his base will think he won.

If Biden (or Harris or Warren or Beto or Pete) tells him to "shut up you insane overweight windbag" and he's so taken aback he remains silent the rest of the night... he base will still think he won.

by Anonymousreply 47June 22, 2019 2:12 AM

Here's a preview of the Trump/Biden debates:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 22, 2019 2:37 AM

I want Kamala Harris to win the nom, and take that motherfucker to church.

I know it is almost certainly to remain fantasy, but how delicious it is to think over.

by Anonymousreply 49June 22, 2019 2:40 AM

I want Klobuchar to throw a binder directly at his head while yelling at him, "In 20 years in politics I've never seen worse prep, you dick. This debate was over before it began."

by Anonymousreply 50June 22, 2019 2:49 AM

If the democrats were smart they would stop hitting him now by saying that he will be too scared to debate. That he'll wimp out. How embarrassing that would be.

by Anonymousreply 51June 22, 2019 3:02 AM

[quote] R25: He will say that the debates are rigged by the biased MSM and refuse to participate. It will be a huge scandal for about five days and then will be forgotten like everything else he does.

The debate committee has to have the guts to hold the debate anyway. If that means Mayor Pete gets to make a twenty minute speech and then answer questions for 40 minutes, that’s Trump ‘s loss.

by Anonymousreply 52June 22, 2019 3:03 AM

I came to post what r25 essentially said. He will find an excuse not to do it and claim victory.

by Anonymousreply 53June 22, 2019 3:05 AM

The person that points to him and looks directly in the camera and says, "America, this man is a liar. He always has been a liar, and will always be a liar. This man standing here is also a traitor. He will sell this country to our enemies and has already done so. Now is the time to throw him and his corrupt pals out. Do it this time", will be the Democrat that will win this for us.

by Anonymousreply 54June 22, 2019 3:09 AM

No one wanted to stoop to his level for more than a brief moment last time. They still need not stoop, but the Dem needs to know how to get him ranting like a lunatic.

by Anonymousreply 55June 22, 2019 3:14 AM

He wiped the floor with Hillary in his last two debates with her. Go and watch those debates, he has basically done verything he said he would.

by Anonymousreply 56June 22, 2019 3:22 AM

Debate? why would I debate a Democrat just so fake news can attack me for all the good I have done. I am very busy running the country.

by Anonymousreply 57June 22, 2019 3:32 AM

Imagine the oppo research on Mayor Pete. Trump will arrange for all his past tricks to line the front row at the debate.

by Anonymousreply 58June 22, 2019 3:40 AM

Hillary was too shy to hit below the belt like Trump did. They should do the same psychological warfare they pulled on her during the debates when they put all of Bills mistresses in the front row. Put Stormy Daniels in the front row along with the Play Boy bunny, and all the other woman he has cheated on Melania with.

Bring on the hookers! You don't bring a sward to a gun fight. Dems need to let go of "the high road" and fight to win dammit.

by Anonymousreply 59June 22, 2019 3:41 AM

R30 Yes, except that the people who need to be listening and paying attention to that are not the ones who will be.

by Anonymousreply 60June 22, 2019 4:49 AM

He is the only president to never reach 50% approval especially considering the good economy and low unemployment rate. Past presidents, during a good economy and low unemployment, had approval ratings well above fifty percent.

Recent polls suggest he's at a low of 42%-46% and in trouble in a number of battleground states, including the three that were key to his victory last time: Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. That news update put a smile on my face. Plus he still has another year to fuck up and also to add to his list of lies and lost promises. So there's that.

by Anonymousreply 61June 22, 2019 5:03 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble R61. Trump won the presidency at 40% approval. That likability percentage is old thinking. It means nothing as proven by his winning the election. We need a better plan than that to win.

by Anonymousreply 62June 22, 2019 5:07 AM

^ I am starting to believe this quote: "Presidents are selected, not elected."

by Anonymousreply 63June 22, 2019 5:16 AM

It doesn't matter. It's not like he'll conform to the format. He'll just spout/imply top secret stuff and say everything under him was best anyone's ever seen, so why engage. Or maybe he'll just pass on debates on same logic. Or he'll start a war and say he can't make it.

by Anonymousreply 64June 22, 2019 10:14 AM

What R25 said. Absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 65June 22, 2019 10:40 AM

[quote]He wiped the floor with Hillary in his last two debates with her.

He didn't, Hillary won all three debates.

Whoever is going to debate him will be better prepared for how low he will be willing to punch below the belt though. And he will punch even lower now, judging by how totally unhinged he has become.

Biden knew how to deal with Palin, he's a straight talker and won't put up with Trump's shit.

I just hope whoever the nominee will be, the other candidates will do their best to rally their fans to get out and vote for that nominee.

by Anonymousreply 66June 22, 2019 11:22 AM

#49, Kamala Harris is so overrated. She has proven to be an overly cautious + prissy campaigner. Contrast her with Elizabeth Warren's roll-up-your sleeves style and she pales.

And don't even mention her scandals the Repugs will have a field day with.

A couple snippy comments during some hearings, a bunch of "You go, girl!"s online... and she thinks she can be POTUS

by Anonymousreply 67June 22, 2019 11:42 AM

Again, his base thought he won all three debates against Hillary.

They will think he wins every debate this time too, even if someone delivers R54's rant and the audience erupts wildly in cheers

by Anonymousreply 68June 22, 2019 11:53 AM

How silly to think you can debate with a toddler. The candidate should just ignore him and talk to the American people.

by Anonymousreply 69June 22, 2019 12:20 PM

I don’t think the debates will change anything. Deplorables will still love Trump and everyone else will hate him

by Anonymousreply 70June 22, 2019 12:56 PM

He will start a war so regain popularity points the summer before the election

by Anonymousreply 71June 22, 2019 12:57 PM

It doesn't matter how Trump does, or if he even shows up. He got solidly thrashed by Hillary and his cultists didn't care.

by Anonymousreply 72June 22, 2019 1:11 PM

As long as he is a white nationalist, he can still win.

by Anonymousreply 73June 22, 2019 1:47 PM

r67: Totally agree about Kamala. Too little real substance, too much resting bitch face. And if you look up her reputation as SF DA and attorney general, she was not liked at all by people who worked with her. It's all ambition with her, including of course her thing with Willie Brown. Her polling shows Dem voters aren't buying it.

Warren is sincerely passionate and obviously really cares about working people and solving problems, and she's a great teacher and a highly informed woman; hence her poll numbers keep going up. Dems go for honesty and sincerity and intelligence. The only think she has in common with Hillary is she's an older woman and blonde. Her voice is a little shrill but maybe she can have some coaching. I see a Biden/Warren ticket at this point. People will be scared not to nominate Biden because of his high numbers against Trump. Am a huge Pete B fan but don't see how he gets on the ticket this time around. My ideal ticket would be Buttigieg/Warren or the reverse.

by Anonymousreply 74June 23, 2019 12:13 AM

If Warren wins, she obviously will not put another woman on the ticket, so Harris is praying that Biden wins, selects her, then croaks.

by Anonymousreply 75June 23, 2019 12:21 AM

There's a good chance just before the election he'll rile up his rabid base (he's an expert at that) and then declare martial law. I sure as hell wouldn't put it past him to do that.

I also think some of those (but an unknown percentage) who voted for him only did so because they didn't want Hillary in office. So it wasn't so much that they wanted him to be their president, they just didn't want her to be their president. They hated her more than they liked him. At least that accounts for some of his voters.

Then we can factor in that he has lost some voters over the past year or so because they have been personally affected by his decisions and actions, otherwise they wouldn't care. To add, forty-something percent approval rating in a robust economy is NOT a good sign, although other presidents have won the election with low approvals.

In all I still think he has a good chance of winning (which makes me anxious and nauseous just thinking of that possibility) but if so I don't think he'll be re-elected fair and square; only if there is interference, tampering and rigging involved.

If he does win re-election he will be considerably worse in his second term because narcissists get much worse with age, which is why I think he'll end up getting impeached early in his second term. Although, "President Pence" will illicit as much anxiety as "President Trump" among the anti-Trump crowd, me included.

So I believe there is that unfortunate possibility that he'll be re-elected but I do not believe he will finish his second term. No way. He will be impeached just before or during his second year. I don't believe, if re-elected, he will even come close to completing his second term. I was raised by a narcissist and there are also several in my extended family. They are now in their mid-70s to late-80s. They get MUCH worse with age. Compared to that we haven't seen anything yet. Add in the dementia and even the most hard-core Trumpie will finally show some genuine concern about his actions and crimes. He won't last.

On another note: if he loses this election (sure hope so) it will be a shit-show like we've never before seen. For one he'll demand a recount while throwing around wild accusations that will make him look even more unstable. The rest will be, like I said, a real shit-show, complete with him flat-out refusing to leave the White House, like a defiant, kicking, screaming toddler at bedtime who doesn't want to go to bed and just wants to keep playing with his toys.

by Anonymousreply 76June 23, 2019 7:50 PM

R76, at the end of WWII, Hitler blamed the German people for failing him. He felt they deserved whatever hardships they we going to face under the Russians. You’ll recall the Nero Decree, ordering the destruction of German infrastructure before the allies advanced. He also ordered the destruction of Parisian monuments when the Germans retreated from that city. These orders were generally ignored.

I think Trump will likewise blame the public for failing him. He’s already done so on small matters. Then it’s anybody’s guess as to what he might do. I think he’ll lash out somehow. You’ll note that his tax plan tends to penalize people in the Blue coastal states more than others, due to the limit on combined state tax and real estate tax deduction to $10,000. He’s never reached out to non-supporters. I recall Obama stating that he wanted to be the President of and serve all the people, not just his voters. Trump would never say such a thing.

One thing I would put money on, after he loses his re-election bid, is that he won’t ride from the White House to the Capital with his successor. He’ll skip the ceremony. He might even skip the pre-inaugural breakfast tradition at the White House with his successor.

by Anonymousreply 77June 23, 2019 8:09 PM

I really don't think it should be hard to beat Trump. The Democrats ought to have a detailed psych assessment. The Dem nominee ought to be able to use it to manipulate Trump into some kind of deranged outburst. It doesn’t look to be too difficult. Putin and Kim seem to have found him to be easy to manipulate. I think treating him as a pathetic fool, or puppet, is the kind of thing that works. And the Dem nominee shouldn’t be afraid from twisting the knife, too.

But the Dem has to be crafty about it. S/he should expect to be interrupted, lied to and about, insulted. Trump’s guests may be people intended to upset the Dem nominee. Remember when he stacked the debate audience with Bill Clinton’s former flings?

by Anonymousreply 78June 23, 2019 8:47 PM

I think the people saying he won't debate are correct. He doesn't do anything he's supposed to do, so why would he do this. I think he fully expects his goons to cheat him into re-election with voter suppression , machine hacking, etc. The Thugs will do anything to win.

by Anonymousreply 79June 24, 2019 12:15 AM

Excellent points R77.

by Anonymousreply 80June 24, 2019 4:50 AM

Sometimes I lurk around deplorable sites. FWIW, this is a post from one of the most popular members of a right-wing site. Just thought you might be interested.

"After the violence from the 2020 election finally dies down in 2026 and DJT is still the president because of continuity of government laws, and the population is reduced by the loss of 90% of all city dwellers, the new congress will enact a 2 term limit for the house and senate and kill any future lobbying and on going benefits for congress. And the penalty for illegal immigrants will be a trip to the gallows."

Another one claims that anti-Trump tech giant Google is going to manipulate search engine results to ensure that Trump loses and a Democrat ends up in office. He also said that if Trump loses all hell will break lose and that stupid Dems don't realize that they are all gun owners. They really are a violent bunch. But I also think they are all talk and no action.

by Anonymousreply 81June 25, 2019 2:27 AM

Silly liberals will probably lose again if they think the debates matter. And now I'm not a trumpster so don't try it.

by Anonymousreply 82June 25, 2019 3:57 AM

The Dem nominee ought to be able to get Trump to lose it onstage. He’ll be interrupting the entire time, and if he starts yelling ”no puppet, no puppet, your the puppet!”, or similar, he might look crazy and foolish enough for some degradation of his support.

by Anonymousreply 83June 25, 2019 4:08 AM

TL;DR

How will Trump fare in the 2020 debates?

It doesn't matter, OP. It just doesn't matter. You think we'd know this by know.

by Anonymousreply 84June 25, 2019 5:40 AM

He will lie and no one will call him on his lies.

by Anonymousreply 85June 30, 2019 4:24 AM

He will only debate a weak or vulnerable opponent. Which means he will likely not debate the Democratic candidate. At all.

by Anonymousreply 86June 30, 2019 4:31 AM

If, heaven forfend, Trump has a lead in Electoral College polling he will not deign to debate.

by Anonymousreply 87June 30, 2019 4:34 AM

Kamala will make him eat his own shit on stage, and then make him apologize for it.

by Anonymousreply 88June 30, 2019 4:43 AM

Out here in the real world, the economy is thriving, record employment levels for blacks, Hispanics, and everyone else, no unnecessary wars.

Whatever will Trump campaign on?

by Anonymousreply 89June 30, 2019 4:45 AM

Car manufactures, farmers and others are doing poorly because of the tariffs. His trade ideas simply lack coherence.

The Fed wants to raise interest rates because of weakness. That will hurt the stock market.

A big problem with Trump is that he is prepping the US for a really bad time in the near future. For example, he’s already lowered taxes. This goosed the economy. Great! Except that means our debt is far out of control. And when we do have a recession, we won’t be able to do tax cuts to soften the downturn, without really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

He should have raised taxes, as awful as that is. Normally. You raise taxes and interest rates when the economy is doing well. Then you do the opposite when the economy is doing poorly.

by Anonymousreply 90June 30, 2019 5:29 AM

The short version of R90 is that, when the economy goes into recession as it does occasionally, it will be a bad one, because Trump has set us up for a bad recession.

by Anonymousreply 91June 30, 2019 5:32 AM

If Trump refuses to debate, the networks should give the Dem nominee up to an hour to make a speech.

by Anonymousreply 92June 30, 2019 5:34 AM

It just occurred to me today that Trump hasn't done anything in office that I can think of that I’d call “generous”. Even with aid to our own people in PR and the VI.

He did give aid to Houston, but it didn’t strike me as generous.

I think he likes exercising his power to make people suffer.

by Anonymousreply 93June 30, 2019 5:39 AM

The tariffs are a bargaining chip. Whether they will pay off in the future remains to be seen.

The "debt" is an imaginary number. The U.S. has near infinite resources to pay it off, should it seem a wise use of capital if it becomes a pressing issue.

by Anonymousreply 94June 30, 2019 5:41 AM

[quote] I think the people saying he won't debate are correct.

Yeah people also had that fantasy back in 2016.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95June 30, 2019 10:01 AM

[quote] Almost everything he promised has been a fail (The Wall; genius deal-making; trade; draining the swamp; the end of Obamacare and the start of the incredible Trumpcare; infrastructure miracles... ).

None of those things are my fault, John McCain, the obstructionist Democrats, the fake press, Michael Cohen, Mueller and the 13 angry Democrats he hired, Peter Strzok and Lisa Page, Jim Comey, Jeff Sessions, the tooth fairy, are all to blame . My poorly educated voters love me and know who is to blame. No President has done more for this country in less time than Donald J Trump. MAGA

by Anonymousreply 96June 30, 2019 1:23 PM

Op, he will lie and say that he has achieved all of that.

Trump: We have built tremendous amounts of the wall Chris Wallace: But with the money congress is giving you, only the existing wall is being fortified, no new wall Trump: The wall is beautiful. It's the Dem Congress' fault it's not completely finished. Chris Wallace: But you promised Mexico would pay for it, why are they American people paying for it? Trump: I am over time aren't I?

by Anonymousreply 97June 30, 2019 1:43 PM

I would love to seem Trump trying to loom behind Kamala.

Kamala: We need more than talk... Where are the middle class jobs, when are wages going up? (Kamala looks directly into the camera) He's behind me right. (Kamala laughs and turns around) Mr. Trump if the economy is doing so well, why are people working 2 jobs and also driving Uber on the weekend?

by Anonymousreply 98June 30, 2019 1:51 PM

It's interesting to see who would be able to deal with Trump , and who would be totally intimidated by him.

by Anonymousreply 99July 1, 2019 1:55 AM

None of them would be intimidated by him, R99. There is nothing to be intimidated about, not from that buffoon. Whether they have the technique to handle someone who constantly and shamelessly lies is a different issue but they have multiple examples to learn from: Obama against Romney (debates 2 and 3), Biden against Ryan, and Clinton against Trump, all debates that the Democratic candidate won.

by Anonymousreply 100July 1, 2019 1:59 AM

He'll debate. He's too stupid to know he's stupid. He was convinced that he could hold his own in a deposition with Mueller, remember?

by Anonymousreply 101July 1, 2019 2:01 AM

Willie Brown watched the debates and yesterday said none of them can handle Trump. Harris included.

[quote] Trump must have enjoyed every moment and every answer, because he now knows he’s looking at a bunch of potential rivals who are still not ready for prime time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 1, 2019 2:03 AM

Guarantee that he doesn't participate in any debate. He'll hold his rallies, he do interviews with Hannity, Carlson and Ingraham, but he won't do a single debates.

by Anonymousreply 103July 1, 2019 2:04 AM

He's more Teflon than Brian Kinney, I fear.

He can lose the debates. He can actually SHOOT someone in the middle of 5th Avenue and get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 104July 1, 2019 2:05 AM

r103: I agree with you. Unlike 2016 he doesn't have to debate, so he won't. He won't give the Dems (of which I am one I hasten to add) the satisfaction of competing. He doesn't have to follow the rules anymore. I don't think anything he does at this point will take away from his base and nothing will add. The vote totals might still show he won the EC but it will be with all the same shitty tactics the Rethugs have used before. And now they have gerrymandering sewed up by the Supremes. Dems have to vote in gigantic numbers; that's the only way to win. We have to vote for whoever it is--I still think it will be Biden because he has the best poll numbers against Trump. And his VP will probably be Kamala (to my personal disappointment).

by Anonymousreply 105July 1, 2019 2:20 AM

He changes the facts and pushes his dreamworld...reporters all let him get away with it. Our country has turned into a nightmare and we just have to live with it until it all collapses around our ears. After that we will have a fascist country, as Putin wanted.

by Anonymousreply 106July 1, 2019 8:12 AM

Putin has his demented puppet Dictators all over the world- including the U.S. now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 1, 2019 1:24 PM

I say chances are 50/50 he'll back out of at least one or two debates, particularly if he has a tough Dem opponent.

by Anonymousreply 108July 1, 2019 1:51 PM

Trump is still riding the Obama Recovery. Trump just hasn't finished killing it yet.

by Anonymousreply 109July 1, 2019 1:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!