Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What if Obama was Biden’s VP pick?

How would you feel about that? How would it fuck Trump’s world up?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 20, 2019 3:48 AM

As much I liked Obama, it's somebody else's turn this go-around -- there is no lack of excellent, qualified Democratic candidates running and I would like to see them get a shot.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2019 12:27 AM

R1 ummm which candidates are you looking at?

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2019 12:28 AM

Well, it would guarantee that Pres Biden would be safe from harm by a disgruntled Trumpista.

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2019 12:29 AM

[QUOTE]As much I liked Obama, it's somebody else's turn this go-around -- there is no lack of excellent, qualified Democratic candidates running and I would like to see them get a shot.

Give me a break. The voters decide whose turn it is, and if it wasn’t for the 22nd Amendment Barack Obama could enter this race tomorrow and steamroll the entire field. Democrats especially and the American people as a whole would love nothing more than to have him back in the White House. So forget that “somebody else’s turn” crap.

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2019 12:30 AM

Also, it's *were*, not was.

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2019 12:30 AM

Obama isn't qualified to be President, so technically he can't be VP.

And it would never happen anyway. Biden wouldn't choose him, and Obama wouldn't accept even if he did.

This is pointless, stupid speculation with no basis in reality and it's a complete waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2019 12:33 AM

The 22nd Amendment is some bullshit. We have a perfectly able 57 year old man who could easily be President right now and we can’t have him because of some arbitrary limit. Textbook example of why I’m against term limits. If I have a great congressman or senator in my district or state then I should be able to vote to keep him/her as my representative for as long as I damn well please.

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2019 12:35 AM

R7 yeah it’s all good until King Trump takes over.

R6 then why are you even wasting your time posting here?!

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2019 12:36 AM

[quote] Well, it would guarantee that Pres Biden would be safe from harm by a disgruntled Trumpista.

Obama is barred from ever being President again, he could technically serve as Vice President but if Biden was to die in office Obama could not take office as President since he is term limited and the Speaker of the House would become President.

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2019 12:38 AM

R4, this asked what people's opinion is about that particular ticket and that is my $0.02. I want new blood with fresh ideas. I don't want a retread of the past. I'll vote for the [D] who gets the nomination but that certainly isn't my first or even third choice.

R7, yuck no. Term limits are a good thing. Maybe extend a presidential term to two 5-year terms. No more than that. They should have term limits for the damned SCOTUS too.

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2019 12:38 AM

[QUOTE]yeah it’s all good until King Trump takes over.

How is King Trump taking over? If it wasn’t for term limits, he wouldn’t have even won that election in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2019 12:41 AM

There needs to be a mandatory retirement age for elected officials. These Senators filling their depends and drooling into microphones until they have to be wheeled out of the capital is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2019 12:43 AM

R11 the poster was talking about removing term limits... did you miss something, Retard?

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2019 12:43 AM

Biden’s an asshole. Fuck him. And Obama deserves more respect than being relegated Veep for a loser like Biden.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2019 12:46 AM

[QUOTE]There needs to be a mandatory retirement age for elected officials. These Senators filling their depends and drooling into microphones until they have to be wheeled out of the capital is ridiculous.

We already have a mechanism for that. It’s called an election.

I never quite understood what’s wrong with a career politician. Some people were born to represent us in DC. A man like Ted Kennedy, the lion of the senate, should’ve been forced out early against his will? For what? The people of Massachusetts wanted him as their representative. It was a job he was born to do.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2019 12:49 AM

I like career politicians. Term limits have a number of bad side effects:

It means perpetual inexperienced people in Congress. It takes time to master the rules, so we’d often be stuck with people who haven’t mastered their jobs..

It increases the power of career lobbyists, since they’ll know more than the Congresspeople.

Congresspeople will more often become lobbyists themselves, after their terms in office, meaning that they might be inclined to favor certain companies, rather than their constituents, for a future job offering.

If the People want their Congressperson to return for multiple terms, they should have the right to do so.

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2019 1:05 AM

Being that Biden disqualified himself today with his absurd comment of being able to work with white supremacists and stating that was the time when US Senate was more civilized, fuck Biden. And yes I get it, what he was trying to convey but it was inane and borderline racist. The Senate and country was not more civilized back then just because white supremacists had a seat a table, didn't disparage you, and were willing to work with you because you were white.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2019 1:08 AM

Absolutely no career politicians. Some of these people get too fucking comfy and too easy for voters who are in the minority (like gays) to get stuck with some awful people for life.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2019 1:09 AM

Although, I do think the SCOTUS Justices should be limited by years served, age, or some other mechanism. A 45 year old Judge or Justice might serve for 50 years! That’s just too long, given that there are no elections to support or remove one. And the constitution was written when death in one’s 60s was more common.

It might be necessary to create a hefty pension for them, combined with a lifetime ban on lobbying for both of them, and their spouse. (I understand Justice Thomas’ wife is a successful lobbyist. That should be banned now.) also a ban on serving on corporate boards. Maybe they could teach.

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2019 1:12 AM

Biden’s comment about how the Senate was, vs. how it is today, is a big nothing to me.

R18, all that means is you’ll get a series of awful people who are also inexperienced and ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2019 1:15 AM

You said it, R15, glub, glub, glub!

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2019 1:15 AM

Teddy was a great Senator for Massachusetts. He and Tip O’Neil got Federal money for the Big Dig, a modernization of a 50 year old roadway that was just impossible to drive over. At the same time, they replaced the ancient copper wiring with fiber optic cable, necessary to support the financial companies downtown. I think they also upgraded the ancient water pipes in the area.

He also got money for the Boston Harbor cleanup facilities.

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2019 1:23 AM

OP, if it were Michelle Obama, it would be a landslide in his favor.

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2019 1:24 AM

R4 is right.

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2019 1:25 AM

I would hate to live in a scenario where someone like Trump could keep getting reelected for decades.

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2019 1:25 AM

When the Feds start looking into Obama's role in the spying on the Trump campaign he'll wish he could run for City Council

by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2019 1:25 AM

[quote] If I have a great congressman or senator in my district or state then I should be able to vote to keep him/her as my representative for as long as I damn well please.

Fortunately you can, R7, given that there are no Congressional term limits.

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2019 1:35 AM

R27, Virginia limits its governor’s terms. I think there are others.

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2019 1:37 AM

You have to be eligible to be president to be eligible to run as vice president, so Obama is disqualified.

Career politicians often become wealthy in office despite their relatively modest salaries.

They convert power into wealth. Rich people do the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2019 2:14 AM

[quote] Virginia limits its governor’s terms. I think there are others.

Yes, that's true. My state does. In fact, it has term limits for all statewide elected officials and many municipal offices. What happens is that politicians will ping-pong around maxing out their limits in various places. The Assembly, then the Senate, then maybe Attorney General or Secretary of State, then a Mayorality, then a Board of Supervisors position. Perhaps a run for U.S. Senate.

Remember, there are no Congressional term limits.

by Anonymousreply 30June 20, 2019 2:25 AM

Biden would never choose Obama for VP. Just like Obama was never going to choose Hillary for his VP. Biden stood in his shadow for 8 yrs. He'd never sign up for that again, certainly not as POTUS.

He wouldn't be able to abide the comparisons and his administration would never be able to stop them; not from the public or the media. It would be like having the sun in your living room. And why would BO want to play 2nd fiddle to Biden after he's sat in the Oval himself?

Also...I really don't think they're as tight as they're made out to be.

by Anonymousreply 31June 20, 2019 2:37 AM

I hate the idea of a black man playing second fiddle to an old white man. Joe can choke.

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2019 2:40 AM

OP I think your idea is interesting if only for discussion. Some people know to separate their dislike for a person from a rational debate. That said, Obama's star has waned- he really gave up on American industry, and didn't that his policies were anti-business. "Those jobs are gone, they're not coming back." Yeh that's a great ticket in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 33June 20, 2019 2:42 AM

Fuck you, R33. His point with “Those jobs are gone,” which was right btw, was that these people need to let go of the past and embrace a new future with new skills and new jobs that could be provided by some of the economic plans he supported.

by Anonymousreply 34June 20, 2019 2:46 AM

When non whites can't find a job they are at best uneducated, lack innovation, skills and at worst down right lazy. When low rent white people can't find a job "WTF IS WRONG WITH THE ECONOMIC INDUSTRY". No you basic bitches get some ingenuity, or education. The economy cannot go back in time to cater to your de evolution.

by Anonymousreply 35June 20, 2019 3:29 AM

Biden for President, and he should then appoint Obama to the SCOTUS. Sweet Justice.

by Anonymousreply 36June 20, 2019 3:43 AM

I find comfort in the fact that if Trump is able to run for a third term Obama will be able to run against him.

by Anonymousreply 37June 20, 2019 3:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!