Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Masculinity is a trap – which is why more men should wear skirts

Clothes traditionally worn by women are becoming part of the mainstream of men’s fashion and helping break the straitjacket of prescribed roles

illy Porter is a singer, actor and man of fashion. He is also a man who isn’t afraid to wear a skirt. Porter wore a tuxedo dress to this year’s Oscars and rocked a very fabulous, very pink, uterus-inspired suit-gown to the Tony awards.

Not everyone can pull off an upcycled velvet curtain, but it is a shame more dudes don’t try. As Porter told Stephen Colbert during an appearance on The Late Show, men’s clothing norms are mired in misogyny. “Women wearing pants is powerful,” the 49-year-old said. “It’s strong, everybody accepts it and it’s associated with the patriarchy.” However, “the minute a man puts on a dress, it’s disgusting, so what are you saying? Men are strong, women are disgusting? I’m not doing that any more … If I feel like wearing a dress, I’m gonna wear one!”

It is sad that so many men are petrified about seeming effeminate. It is sad that it is not socially acceptable for men to experiment with fashion in the same way women can. Happily, however, things are changing gradually. No one looks twice at a guy with a man-bun or a man-bag any more; male makeup is a growing industry; and male rompers were a thing for a while.

While men in dresses are still considered noteworthy, guys such as Porter are sashaying into the mainstream. The rapper Young Thug is fond of skirts and the actor Jaden Smith frequently and unapologetically dons dresses. “If I Wanna Wear A Dress, Then I Will, And That Will Set The New Wave,” Smith wrote on Twitter last year. Meanwhile London fashion week featured so many men breezing along in gender-fluid fashion that GQ proclaimed: “2019 is the year men will start wearing skirts.” I certainly hope so. Masculinity is a straitjacket; it is high time more men broke free.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2019 8:52 PM

I agree wholeheartedly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2019 12:24 AM

Hectoring other people about what they should or shouldn't wear to affirm their masculinity says more about your insecurity about your own than anything those others' sartorial choices say about theirs.

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2019 12:39 AM

Could it be a plot from the Secret Lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2019 1:00 AM

Of course it's by a woman.

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2019 1:09 AM

Men should wear skirts because they tend to have better legs.

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2019 1:14 AM

Fashion is a trap.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2019 1:20 AM

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2019 1:28 AM

[quote] Masculinity is a trap – which is why more men should wear skirts

The Great Escape

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2019 1:30 AM

rofl, r7

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2019 2:38 AM

Men should wear more kilts.

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2019 4:30 AM

I'm attracted to masculinity and if lesbians and non-binary trans-whatevers find it problematic, I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2019 5:39 AM

Men should wear kilts, & no undies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2019 6:00 AM

Hate man buns . I actually hate small woman buns atop long hair. Buns are for ballet.

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2019 8:49 PM

[quote]Men should wear kilts, & no undies.

I concur. Makes for easier access.

by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2019 8:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!