Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Categorically Gay; writer Jim farber tells it like it was

For queer people who grew up in an era when rigid identities were essential, today’s fluidity can feel like their history is washing out with the tide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2019 4:37 PM

Nobody can steal your history and your identity. This is more about validation (from newer generations) or rather the lack of it.

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2019 9:10 PM

History is about the past. No one is taking his past.

But people really don't want to LIVE in the past, either.

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2019 9:33 PM

The comments from some of the gender variants are so ENTITLED.

They have no fucking idea what gays and lesbians went through so that straight, pink-haired Fraus could declare themselves "Queer" and march at PRIDE.

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2019 9:34 PM

These bourgeois poseurs should be ashamed of themselves. They want to be “marginalized” so that they have some leverage to be self-righteous jerks. Being queer is the only option they have since they aren’t a “POC.” So obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2019 10:14 PM

This is the equivalent of pissing on my leg and telling me it’s raining.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2019 10:33 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2019 10:38 PM

Ah yes....the OP who does not understand that last names get capitalized along with first names.

She strikes again.

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2019 2:54 PM

Ah, yes, R7, the hideous queen who pounces on a single typographical error as if it were evidence of the Lone Gunman on the Grassy Knoll.

Fuck off, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2019 8:24 PM

It’s a very good article. I hadn’t heard it articulated like that before. I agree with him, although I’m probably not as open-minded about the adjacent factions. It’s good to read something that makes one reconsider.

Personally, I’ve dropped the entire alphabet soup. I now only refer to “homosexual rights and history”. That way everyone else can sing their own song centre stage and we can go our separate ways.

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2019 8:59 PM

I have read the article, and don’t get what his beef is.

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2019 9:20 PM

He’s right. These queer and questioning bulls hitters need to step aside

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2019 9:31 PM

Gay history for gays. Queer is a slur used by straight people because they can't be "transracial"... yet.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2019 9:34 PM

Yup, r12.

Reminds me of a good friend I had in college...white dude, super cool, friendly, smart...fun to hang out with.

He came from an affluent home & LOVED rap music.

He craved street cred SO BAD. But his childhood was full-on “Leave it to Beaver.”

He was actually kind of bummed about it.

It’s mostly the affluent & dull kids who are into the QT BS.

It’s a made-up minority class for privileged kids.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2019 9:55 PM

[R13] true in my experience as well. The only kids that put these labels on themselves are the offspring of lawyers and diplomats from affluent suburbs. Supposedly they have the American Dream in spades, but it’s lacking, so they crave to identify with something. They’ll grow out of being queer, have babies, and start the cycle all over again.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2019 10:28 PM

Concern trolling from the site that helped invent it. He starts out apologizing for having been a rigid, dogmatic gasbag and then has to chide the young folks for not appreciating his gasbaggery. Fluidity, bisexuality---none of that is particularly new. It's literally 19th century. It's people like him who had the rigid ideas and wanted to impose them on other people as they were imposed on him.

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2019 1:43 AM

[quote] Being queer is the only option they have since they aren’t a “POC.”

I'm not only queer, I'm gluten intolerant.

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2019 1:44 AM

[quote]For queer people who grew up in an era when rigid identities were essential

How many people who grew up in an era when rigid identities were essential would identify as "queer" for chrissakes.

Somehow I believe the overlap between the two circles on that Venn Diagram is very small.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2019 2:04 AM

Your post is nonsense, R15.

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2019 1:44 PM

Just like transgenderism itself, r18.

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2019 1:53 PM

I concur, R19. You’re my new best friend.

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2019 1:56 PM

😘😘😘😘

🏳️‍🌈

by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2019 2:12 PM

R15: Because ad hominem attacks are so reasoned and sensible.

by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2019 2:40 PM

They are the mortar of the Interwebs, hon.

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2019 5:21 PM

Right! Separate but Equal! Segregation Now, Segregation Forever!

Now where's some fat old southerner to stand in the doorway and block it? The fat old lesbians have dozens. Come on girls - block entryways to places that welcome transgenders! Lobby your local legislatures to pass Segregation laws to keep them away from you! Forget about abortion rights being taken away all over the country, who cares? This is the only thing that matters, we demand Apartheid Now!

We all know the drill for this shit, you vile cunts. Why don't you just start throwing them off buildings and be done with it?

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2019 5:56 PM

Gays had to fight to prove that they could not be converted to heterosexuality - that same-sex attraction existed and that it was exclusive.

All this gender nonsense, brought to you by Big Medicine, a few gay and/or cross-dressing billionaires, and former lgbT organizations desperate for some issue to pin their salaries on, is undoing what gays fought for - the right for EXCLUSIVELY SAME-SEX attracted people to be acknowledged, accepted and given every civil and human right.

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2019 6:19 PM

Why don’t you fuck off back to Prick News, R24?

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2019 6:24 PM

Great post, r25.

by Anonymousreply 27June 21, 2019 6:39 PM

I find the "fluidity" claimed by so many celebrities and "queers" to simply be spineless waffling.

by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2019 6:47 PM

Forgot to add,

Deny them Housing! You wouldn't want to live near one, not in your own neighborhood!

Deny them Jobs! What if you have to deal with one in a shop or teaching in a school? Think of the CHIIIIIIIIIILDREEEEEEEEEEN!

Deny them Education! You can't have them in schools with other kids, what if the other kids decide they have no problem with it? Unacceptable!

Jim Crow is BACK! Just apply all those segregationist, racist policies to transgenders. They should obviously be denied equality in America because they are transgendered.

by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2019 6:55 PM

Society has poisoned our minds where life is a constant battle about superior vs. inferior. Some gays need some way to feel superior. Of course these people can't claim that they are superior to straight people. No, they can't justify that in any way. So the Bis and the Trans are the ones who must be inferior, because just look at them! They are so flawed! So unworthy! So. Much. Drama! They can't be trusted! They are shifty! Bis and Trans being equal to "us" Gays? No Way! That would ruin the mental image in our heads that gays are superior and the Bis and Trans are inferior! It would ruin our branding, our deeply held belief, of being the clear superior class in the LGBT Community!

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2019 2:45 PM

R30, gender is not real.

Chopping off body parts is an act of self-destruction.

T is pushing likely gay kids to be medical patients for the rest of their lives for one reason: so those kids conform to sex roles made up by society.

T is homophobic & misogynist.

If you care about gays & lesbians, then don’t sterilize them as kids.

It’s not that hard.

by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2019 4:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!