Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Growing up in the 60s and 70s part 2

Continue the discussion of when everyone was thin and outdoors. Link to part one below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2019 4:49 AM

Funny that you mention the lunch smells wafting down the hall at the end of the last thread. I was in school in the late 80s early 90s and nothing was more disgusting than smelling the school lunch, except for eating it. Although everyone agreed that school lunch in middle and high school was repulsive, you were thought of us hopelessly uncool if you brought your own lunch

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2019 8:44 PM

Weird. When I was in school the cool thing to do was bring your own lunch. My mom packed stuff like chips and Little Debbie's, good junky stuff that I would trade with others for fresh fruit and vegetables that they had, and hated.

I could get quite a lot in trade.

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2019 8:51 PM

Was the 80s the height of drinking soda? I remember it being everywhere. Vending machines at summer camp, birthday parties, at people’s houses. Nowadays I never see it at peoples homes unless it’s a barbecue Usually flavored seltzer and alcohol but almost never soda.

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2019 8:53 PM

R2 At my school if you were trading you’re a little Debbie for fruit and vegetables you would’ve been the school punching bag

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2019 8:54 PM

*Your

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2019 8:55 PM

Did anyone else have a natural foods mom? Mine read “The Tasahara Cookbook” and “Diet for a Small Planet.” As a result I had homemade wheat bread sandwiches wrapped in used plastic wrap. I was the cafeteria freak.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2019 8:59 PM

Totally, grew sprouts at home. Only whole wheat flour and no sugar allowed.

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2019 9:00 PM

She also had this. The author is always drinking martinis and relaxing while big cuts of meat roast away in the oven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2019 9:01 PM

When my family discovered carob that that was the worst. That was in the early 80s although I’m pretty sure that was a 70s fad. I am confident after feeding us carob my parents were sneaking Hershey bars. I am pretty sure Carob is not as healthy as they thought it was anyway. This was way before labels. I can still taste how disgusting it is just by looking up the word. Probably the worst feeling ever I’ve eaten, after the Turkey burgers my mom attempted to make. They were so bad I became vegetarian for years

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2019 9:06 PM

R6 and r7 Do you eat healthy now or did that turn you off to healthy food forever?

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2019 9:09 PM

[R 9] carob was horrible! It never fooled anyone and it faded away one day. It’s so funny I hadn’t thought of it for years. Then the food lords decided that dark chocolate is a great antioxidant.

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2019 9:16 PM

R11 at least dark chocolate is palatable. Brown candle wax is not.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2019 12:26 AM

Anyone have a favorite dessert from that time that is no longer in fashion? I remember being able to eat the leftover crumb coffee cake after my grandparents’s poker and pinochle games. My mom didn’t bake or buy any baked goods so that was heaven for me. Never saw a 7up cake and wondering if that was any good.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2019 12:29 AM

Our grandparents would babysit us on Saturday nights and use the ONLY television in the house to watch "The Lawrence Welk Show".

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2019 1:38 AM

[quote]I could get quite a lot in trade.

A practice you've no doubt continued to this very day.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2019 4:47 AM

R14 that sounds horrible

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2019 4:47 AM

Besides Saturday morning cartoons, where there any kids shows? Or was that it?

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2019 4:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!