Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have any of you had success in teaching a cat to walk on a leash?

My cat is getting a tad chubby. He goes out in my backyard (it's fenced and he doesn't leave the yard), but I think he could use some more exercise, so I'm thinking of training him to walk on a leash. Is taking a cat for a walk even possible? Any tips would be appreciated!

by Anonymousreply 42July 5, 2019 1:09 AM

It is pretty easy. You use a harness, not a leash.

They recommend letting the cat wear it indoors before you take them out. But I just took my cats out.

You have to just let them take the lead. One of my cats was bold and wanted to explore right from the start. The next day I took my other cat and he just hid in some bushes. But he enjoyed it and eventually got braver.

Just let the cat determine what the activity level is.

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2019 8:36 PM

Your cat thinks you are getting a tad too chubby and wants to train you to wear a collar ad a leash.

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2019 8:37 PM

Should've started when he was really small. You'll pretty much have to drag him now with that leash.

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2019 8:37 PM

Echoing r3. We had harnesses and leashes for our cats. One cat felt like he was on a chain gang and he'd slink with his belly low to the ground. Cats can be trained though, if you're patient and reward them regularly.

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2019 8:40 PM

Tried for months, I never got my cat to go for it. She just refused and hated every harness I tried. So I just let her roam outside some evenings, usually she will eventually come back to get her evening meal. I know it's not safe, but she's happy

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2019 8:41 PM

I know he needs a harness, R1 and he's actually OK with wearing it.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2019 8:42 PM

Then you will be fine. (I saw people try it with collars--which will not work.)

But if your cat is skittish, just be patient.

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2019 8:49 PM

Get your own Cat Exercise Wheel for $199!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2019 8:49 PM

How does one train the cat to not go bananas when it's in forested parks? I took my cat for a walk when I was a teen, and the scents of vermin and birds crazed him; he didn't stay on the path but raced away from it, dragged me into ferns, nettles, thick bushes.

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2019 8:54 PM

R9, that is what cats do in those situations.

You might as well ask how to keep a baby from crying when there are loud crashes.

Or how to lose an erection while fucking.

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2019 8:59 PM

Stop feeding your cat so much, OP.

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2019 9:00 PM

When my mom died I took her cat in (one room apartment with a little terrace). I went out with him like others would with their dog to get him some excercise and some exitement. He wore a harness with a leash whenever we went outside. I had him for five years and he died on a Mother's Day.

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2019 9:06 PM

Why don't you just buy him a bicycle?

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2019 9:06 PM

Switch to diet cat food.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2019 9:20 PM

No, but my friends taught their cat to shit in the toilet AND flush.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2019 12:23 AM

My solution is really intended for children, OP, but we can discuss a possible modification for your pint-sized porker.

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2019 12:25 AM

R12, I am sorry for your losses.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2019 12:26 AM

I used to love watching my calico stalk my childhood backyard. One time that she caught a chipmunk, kept it in her mouth and I, foolishly, pried her mouth open to "save" it but the varmint bit me and ran off. My cat was indifferent to my surprise and pain.

Small town housecats have it good. None of ours were hit by a car, and we could let them out often.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2019 12:35 AM

My cat taught herself to use the toilet. I kept thinking I forgot to flush and then I caught her peeing

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2019 12:38 AM

My cat does ab crunches and an occasional juice cleanse.

She loathes Leg Day, though.

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2019 1:07 AM

Fuck you all! I'll burn your house down.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2019 1:10 AM

If you wanted a walking companion, then you should have gotten a dog! We don't roll like that and you know it! Now pass the catnip, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2019 1:28 AM

Yes, two cats, but they are Bengals, who are more like dogs. They were rescue cats, and I taught them to walk with a leash and harness, plus dog tricks when they were 9 and 5 respectively. Took about 3 months. It was all about slow introductions every week with treats:

Leave harness by their bed

Drape harness on them like a blanket

Practice the motion of attaching the collar part of the harness around the neck

Then attached the collar and let them wear it like a cape

Practice the motion of attaching the belly straps

Attach the collar and belly straps

Let them wear it for increasing periods of time from 5 minutes to 3 hours (if they can fall asleep in it, terrific)

Play with their favorite toy while they're wearing it (their mobility will be impaired at first- when they try to jump, they will fall over sideways like a chopped tree. Eventually they will be able to jump up in it.

Then you have to do the same introduction thing with the leash to the point of them dragging it around while it's attached to the harness.

One cat (the older one, who was the best cat I've ever had) walked paths like a dog. The younger one walked like a cat- would wander aimlessly, then try to go into the bushes or up a tree. This is a video of the older one- we used to walk by a doggie day care and drive the dogs mental, but it didn't phase him at all:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2019 1:34 AM

Is this thread for real? It"s hysterical - LOLs aplenty here - thx DL!

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2019 8:36 AM

This pussy needs no leash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2019 8:41 AM

R23 This is a very cool video. Bengals are gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2019 10:23 AM

I don't mind going for a walk but my human looks so fucking stupid with the leash and everything.

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2019 11:48 AM

This is how it’s done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2019 12:06 PM

I have two Bengals and they are great cats! They do very well with dogs too as they're not easily intimidated, in fact they'll be the "alpha dog" in any situation (see video):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2019 12:21 PM

Just get your cat a gym membership.

by Anonymousreply 30June 20, 2019 12:24 PM

I've used a harness for my cat since he was four months old, since he hates being in his carrier. He sets his comfort level, and he doesn't like being in open spaces too much, but he'll hang out near the front door, or scurry to get under the car. There are also stores that allow pets to come in, provided they're restrained, so my cat is a bookstore aficionado at this point in his life. Try using the harness close to home before you start trying to get him to go on walks or anything.

by Anonymousreply 31June 20, 2019 12:46 PM

If the goal is for your cat to lose weight, transition it to an all-wet food diet. Dry food is very carb-heavy and calorie-dense, which is bad for cats and packs on the pounds. Cats who only eat wet food don't have weight problems; two vets have confirmed that for me.

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2019 2:05 PM

I got my cat on a long term leash.

by Anonymousreply 33June 20, 2019 3:41 PM

Hey trick troll--time for the next parody. This one is dripping with possibilities

by Anonymousreply 34June 20, 2019 4:00 PM

Hi fellow Bengal owner r29! I love Boomer.

OP, An alternative to walking is a cat wheel:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2019 8:44 PM

I love it when people walk their cats on leashes. The cats look so dopey and the owners look so apologetic, “like I know this looks dumb, but I have to walk my dumb cat”.

Op, put your cat in an outfit when you take him out on the leash.

by Anonymousreply 36June 22, 2019 9:14 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 22, 2019 9:15 PM

I got my cat a harness leash for airport travel. My cat, basically, almost decapitated me for this insult, and she loves me. I think you have to start young.

Good luck. Do not be surprised when you are almost decapitated.

by Anonymousreply 38June 22, 2019 9:18 PM

Take your cat paddle boarding!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 4, 2019 10:24 PM

[quote]but it didn't phase him at all:

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 40July 5, 2019 1:07 AM

Cats-- maybe. Just don't try it with your goldfish.

by Anonymousreply 41July 5, 2019 1:08 AM

[quote] Op, put your cat in an outfit when you take him out on the leash.

Put him in a dog costume.

by Anonymousreply 42July 5, 2019 1:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!