Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Record number of Americans retiring south of the border

More than one million American citizens estimated to be living in Mexico alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 20, 2019 6:29 PM

Deport them! Build the wall!

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2019 2:54 AM

ICE needs to round them up and send them home, beginning next week.

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2019 3:03 AM

Why? Because elderage in USA is unsupported?

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2019 3:03 AM

This is not at all surprising.

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2019 3:10 AM

R3, their retirement money goes really far in Mexico. In America, you either die really, really rich and give a bunch of money tax-free to your heirs, or you die in poverty in a horrible nursing home after the government takes even the little money you've managed to save each month by only eating once a day and cutting your pills into three pieces to try to make them last. The first situation applies to the top 2%. The other 98% end up like the latter.

I think over the next 20 years, a lot of these cheap to live in countries are going to see an influx of old Americans showing up. Let's call it the Grey Colonization Plan. Of course, our life expectancy is plummeting due to our shitty health care system, so it might not be a problem.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2019 3:13 AM

I wonder what the real overlap in the politics of these people moving and the deplorables screaming for a wall actually is.

Given how racist the deplorables are, I can't imagine them moving to Mexico. But, given how deeply inculcated the belief that someone else has moved their cheese, I can see them going.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2019 3:21 AM

R6, I would certainly hope it's not [italic]that[/italic]type of American for the host country's sake!

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2019 3:29 AM

I thought the crime and murder rate in Mexico was off the charts??

Wouldn't most expat Americans be seen as rich and easy marks and pickings?

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2019 3:54 AM

I plan to retire early and move to Costa RIca.

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2019 4:13 AM

Hey, R9!

My boss is going to Costa Rica for vacation and he says he has no idea what he’s going to do. Any Suggestions? They’re not going to a beach area. Maybe just one day of beach.

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2019 4:38 AM

Lots of deployables are retired in Thailand.

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2019 4:44 AM

[quote]Given how racist the deplorables are, I can't imagine them moving to Mexico.

I can. And retirees lean conservative, we know that.

There is a similar phenomenon between the UK and Spain. A large number of Britons have decided to move to Spain, and many of them paradoxically use racist arguments to justify their move - they say, for example, that they don't like the UK anymore because it is not British enough. As if it made sense to then move to Spain.

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2019 4:50 AM

I have friends who retired to Mexico. First, their parents retired there and they moved to Mexico to look after them in their dotage. And they they stayed. They live in an ex-pat community on a lake and the photos I've seen are gorgeous. They love it and now speak fluent Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2019 4:57 AM

There is a VFW post on Lake Chapala full of the most racist Americans I have ever met.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2019 5:00 AM

It sounds like a more affordable option.

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2019 5:30 AM

San Miguel De Allende (MX) had a pretty sizable gay expat community. My uncle retired in Holbox (MX) however. He loved it there and had a twink lover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2019 6:17 AM

This is my plan when the time comes to retire.

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2019 7:58 AM

R11 and deplorables become snowflakes all of the sudden: no more gun toting, but only ladyboys sodomizing their saggy asses every day.

Go to Pattaya and watch them with their Brit old slob buddies picking a fight with Russian geezers for fun. Japanese retirees are in a smaller, lovelier town nearby. All the world politics play out in the third world countryside.

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2019 8:28 AM

I would consider it.

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2019 4:12 PM

For safety, quality medical care and ease, I would retire on the north side of the border in the US. Cost of living is as low as it gets in the US, it’s warm in the winter, you can go to Mexico for meds or dental work - and they are some of the safest towns in the United States! Plus access to everything you are used to. There is a reason Mexicans flood into the border the towns to shop- you just can’t access a lot of stuff in Mexico.

Appreciate the adventure of moving to Mexico, but my experiences in PVR have convinced me there is a real downside to Mexico - water, sanitation, corruption, safety, absence of services and diversity of options we have in the US. It’s not all fun and beauty at a cheaper price. There are real sacrifices.

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2019 5:43 PM

OP -- you mean, one million are living in Mexico alone? All by themselves????

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2019 6:04 PM

It would be tough for me to get up and move to a different country to retire. Florida or Arizona is likely where I'll end up

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2019 7:52 PM

I think things are just going to get way more expensive and climate change will make weather hotter/rain scarcer, so by the time I retire, the Sunbelt states are probably a no-go.

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2019 8:00 PM

[quote] I thought the crime and murder rate in Mexico was off the charts??

I had heard the same thing for years, which kept me away from Mexico. Thailand? sure. Cambodia? you bet! Rio? Absolutely! Mexico City? No way! I'll be stabbed the minute I leave the airport.

A few years ago my partner went to Mexico City on a business trip and I tagged along, figuring the worst thing that could happen is that I'd hunker down in a fancy hotel for free and relax.

I needn't have worried. I went all over the place without a single incident.

I took a few Ubers but a lot of times I took the subway and walked. NOBODY accosted me, except for a young man who came up to me at intersection and kept saying 'Senor! La boleta! La boleta!' I replied "Lo siento, no hablo español whereupon he reached down and picked up a subway ticket that had fallen out of my pocket when I removed my phone in order to check an address. (In New York, he would've waited for me to cross the street and then scooped up the ticket for himself).

Of course there are neighborhoods I wouldn't go into, but there are parts of New York I wouldn't go into either. Even though I don't speak Spanish, every single person I met was friendly and helpful. If I couldn't read the menu, I looked around and pointed. The food was wonderful, the architecture will take your breath away. The last time I was there they even had a Spanish-language production of LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, which unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see.

So far I've been to Puerto Vallarta, San Miguel de Allende, Santiago de Querétaro, and Mexico City multiple times. I could definitely see myself retiring there.

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2019 8:18 PM

WHAT R20 SAID!

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2019 8:33 PM

[quote] Lots of deployables are retired in Thailand.

Well, they're all pedos.

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2019 8:37 PM

Hmm - three years of high school Spanish plus a couple years of self study - would love to do the immersion thing with Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2019 9:57 PM

Is Mexico cheaper or Costa Rica?

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2019 11:28 PM

A large percentage of those American citizens in Mexico though are either the American-born children of deported Mexican parents or Mexican-Americans returning home much like retirees for cheaper living.

I would like to retire to San Miguel Allende.

by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2019 11:35 PM

Places I would consider: Mexico, Ecuador, Colombia, Peru

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2019 11:57 PM

I'm considering Medellin, Colombia for my retirement.

by Anonymousreply 31June 20, 2019 12:04 AM

Mexico is about half the price of Costa Rica are was a few years ago. It has been a while since I was there.

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2019 12:09 AM

R31, have you been there? I'm going to Medellin in a little over a month -- have heard such good things about it.

by Anonymousreply 33June 20, 2019 4:57 AM

My non-Hispanic cousin married a Mexican man over 30 years ago and ended up moving there. They split up soon after, but she decided to stay-- she's been there, working in a resort, for all that time. She's almost 60 now and is becoming a Mexican citizen.

by Anonymousreply 34June 20, 2019 5:06 AM

Puerto Vallarta is hardly a deal these days unless you go in inland about 10 miles.

by Anonymousreply 35June 20, 2019 6:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!