Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

4K Televison

New TV.

Need 4K content.

Does anyone here have recommendations?

Streaming services—which ones—with 4K content?

Purchase a 4K player (for movies)?

Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2019 7:08 AM

I believe all of Netflix's original content is 4K as is most of Amazon's.

I have an Amazon Fire TV that's 4K. It does me good.

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2019 1:07 AM

Is it 4K if you watch on an iPad? Aren’t their screens better resolution than TVs?

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2019 1:09 AM

Almost all 4K movies produced for Netflix are garbage.

Almost all movies shot in 4K on digital cameras are garbage, PERIOD.

You know what’s really quality and looks excellent on a UHDTV? Blu Rays. Any blu rays. Also anything in HD on Amazon.

4K content just looks cold and digital and un-film-like. But *everything* in regular HD (like blu rays) looks amazing on a 4K/UHDTV. Like, way better than a “regular” HDTV. I don’t understand why, but it’s true.

Just watch whatever you want, but on the blu ray format or a high def stream.

The Swimmer (Burt Lancaster, Joan Rivers) looks gorgeous, for starters. To Catch a Thief. Persona by Bergman.

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2019 1:12 AM

I only watch Murder, She Wrote.

Will 4K affect this?

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2019 1:14 AM

What is UHDTV?

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2019 1:14 AM

This link says that people cannot discern a difference between 4K and the earlier generation of displays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2019 2:12 AM

Those people are morons/blind, Pierre.

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2019 2:32 AM

R4, I don’t think that one is available on blu ray or on TV in high definition, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2019 2:33 AM

Something 8 is coming out....

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2019 2:36 AM

Am I really missing anything?

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2019 3:20 AM

R5 UHD is Ultra High Definition that most people incorrectly call 4k. 2k and 4k are movie theatre resolutions whereas UHD is 3840 x 2160 or 4x the pixels of the typical 1080 high def video resolution (having an exact double in each direction makes the processing/math easier to display HD content on UHD).

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2019 3:42 AM

Even if you watch a movie in 4k on Netflix it isn't really 4k all the time (even with a really good internet connection). It switches between 4k and HD all the time and you can't really tell the difference unless you really look at the little info box.

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2019 6:08 AM

4K digital video doesn’t look that impressive in general and also in comparison to digital 1080p. That goes double for when you’re streaming. What’s really blown me away has been watching remastered classic (film) movies, both on regular Blu-Ray as well as UHD. There’s a richness to the pictures that is really compelling, and that makes even otherwise forgettable flicks a sensory treat.

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2019 7:12 AM

R4 is a liar. He also watches Matlock.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2019 7:15 AM

Dont forget The Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2019 7:22 AM

R4 Murder She Wrote is out now on lovingly restored BluRay!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2019 7:36 AM

4K needs a minimum of 55" to be appreciated. If the screen is smaller the human eye can't tell. Even High Def, you can't tell if the screen is smaller than 32"

Most of this is simply marketing, a lot of the high def and UHD is simply upscaled so it's not even the real thing.

Actually outside of fast sports and nature shows, the whole high def thing doesn't add much..

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2019 10:49 AM

4K, OP?

Where you been? I’ve had a 4K TV for 5 years now.

8K TVs are now available.

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2019 1:02 PM

R17 Total horseshit (unless you have diabetic retinopathy or astigmatism)

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2019 7:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!