Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cats and Owls

So a warning to cat lovers out there who think you've secured a safe place for your indoor/outdoor cat. Last year I moved to a place with a large backyard and high fences that kept my fat old cat (15 pounds or so) from roaming the neighborhood. I thought this was enough to keep him safe and that he was too big for birds of prey, but I was wrong. An owl attacked him in the early morning last week and carried him away, ending his 13 years of life.

This time of year is when cats are especially vulnerable. Save yourself from heartache and keep your cat indoors from early sunset to late sunrise if you live anywhere near owls or other birds of prey.

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2019 4:04 PM

How many cats get to fly?

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2019 12:36 AM

I'm so sorry, and will bear that in mind in future. Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2019 12:41 AM

Sounds good to me.

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2019 12:43 AM

I'm sorry OP. Please accept my condolences on the death of your precious friend. Terrible way to go. I'd be devastated if something like this happened to my dear old girl.

While cat sitting recently I was driven crazy by the little dear when she kept wanting to go out. I have the same rule, OP, and sure enough, there was an owl hooting outside the front yard.

Another pointer for cat owners in rural areas: do not throw used litter into the woods near your home. It will attract predators and they will get your cat. Don't be stupid and dispose of it in the trash.

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2019 12:49 AM

So sorry OP. That is horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2019 12:54 AM

I'm very sorry. What are horrible way to lose your friend like that.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2019 12:54 AM

Good to know.

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2019 12:56 AM

Cats should be kept inside at ALL times. Domestic cats are one of the most invasive species on the planet. They are the primary suspect in the extinction of many species of wildlife.

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2019 12:57 AM

Foxes find them tasty, too.

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2019 12:58 AM

Very sorry for your loss, OP.

Keep cats indoors to keep them safe from coyotes and off leash dogs as well.

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2019 1:18 AM

I don't think this is true unless the cat was extremely small and lightweight.

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2019 1:26 AM

Is my old pug safe? He's pretty fat.

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2019 1:28 AM

Owls are in my neighborhood and I want them to eat the eastern brown snakes that crawl around my front yard.

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2019 1:30 AM

It happened, R11. Don't fool yourself if you think it can't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2019 1:35 AM

Even as a cat hater, I find the death of any pet heartbreaking. My condolences to OP. GOD needed another fat cat in heaven.

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2019 1:37 AM

In January my Boston Terrier (15 lbs) was outside doing her business in the backyard and out of nowhere an owl swooped down spread its wings and was about to take her. In a split second I threw a large stick which deterred it. However it attempted once again while I ran inside. I’m sorry OP like you I had no idea owls did this too such large animals.

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2019 1:42 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2019 1:56 AM

Can't a bird get a little pussy?

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2019 1:59 AM

Owls are just nasty with no redeeming qualities. They're loud, fat, and ugly.

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2019 2:03 AM

[Bold]The Owl and the Pussy-Cat[/bold] BY EDWARD LEAR

The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea

In a beautiful pea-green boat,

They took some honey, and plenty of money,

Wrapped up in a five-pound note.

The Owl looked up to the stars above,

And sang to a small guitar,

"O lovely Pussy! O Pussy, my love,

What a beautiful Pussy you are,

You are,

You are!

What a beautiful Pussy you are!"

II

Pussy said to the Owl, "You elegant fowl!

How charmingly sweet you sing!

O let us be married! too long we have tarried:

But what shall we do for a ring?"

They sailed away, for a year and a day,

To the land where the Bong-Tree grows

And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood

With a ring at the end of his nose,

His nose,

His nose,

With a ring at the end of his nose.

III

"Dear Pig, are you willing to sell for one shilling

Your ring?" Said the Piggy, "I will."

So they took it away, and were married next day

By the Turkey who lives on the hill.

They dined on mince, and slices of quince,

Which they ate with a runcible spoon;

And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,

They danced by the light of the moon,

The moon,

The moon,

They danced by the light of the moon.

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2019 2:18 AM

Holy COCK!!!! I just wiki'ed owls. I always loved owls.

THESE MOTHERFUCKERS ARE MURDERERS!!!

My yard is filled with adorable cottontail rabbits. NOT if an owl has its way.

It will kill them all. THEY KILL ADULT TURKEYS!!!

I hate owls now. I had no idea they were such cunts. Their personalities I guess are SHIT too.

Fuck you and keep your talons off my bunnies and chipmunks!! Or I will fucking strangle you bitches.

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2019 2:28 AM

There’s a lot of coyotes this year too. They really thrived this year because of all the rain. There’s a lot of small creatures around.

A lot of small pets have been carried off from people’s back yards. They can jump really high and a fence or wall won’t stop them. A lot of neighbors on Nextdoor have seen them in their own yard or a neighbor’s yard, inside the fence.

Please don’t let your kitties or small animals sit in the back yard unattended. Pretty much the only thing that *might* stop them is if you’re in the yard with the pet, close by. If the pet is on the other end of the yard, they may still try to take it.

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2019 2:40 AM

For real bitches, I always loved owls. I bought an Owl Poster once!! Why I never researched them, I do not know.

I love that soothing hoo-Hoo in the night!!

Well they are bitches, DUMB according to trainers, and turn on their captors if they have spent life in captivity.

And then I learn that they could even lift ME with their talons flying me off dead in the night???

They even kill skunks and some owls kill so many skunks that their nests are filled with skink carcasses and reek of skunk!!

They are merciless!

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2019 4:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!