Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Likely Voter Poll Shows a Much Tougher 2020 Fight in Battleground States

Not even Joe Biden looks good. All of the other Dem candidates fare much worse with most of them losing, which would seal the deal for Trump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129June 23, 2019 4:40 PM

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2019 7:30 PM

Firehouse-Optimus?

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2019 7:30 PM

[QUOTE]And Pennsylvania is a toss-up, according to the survey, with Biden at 43 percent and Trump at 42. Trump leads Sanders there 44 percent to 41 percent. The president has an 11-point advantage over Warren and he leads Buttigieg by 13 points.

Ouch. If things are really that bad in Pennsylvania, we’re in big trouble.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2019 7:30 PM

[QUOTE]Firehouse-Optimus?

Nobody else is giving us likely voter numbers. It’s a snapshot, but also a much needed cold glass of water to the face for anyone who thinks this might be easy.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2019 7:33 PM

Firehouse-Optimus is not a well-known pollster.

I don't even think it's listed among the Pollster Rankings at 538:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2019 7:33 PM

I can't tell if OP is concerned or secretly wishful.

Hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2019 7:33 PM

[QUOTE]I can't tell if OP is concerned or secretly wishful.

Why don’t you look at OP’s thread history? Clown.

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2019 7:34 PM

538 gives Firehouse-Optimus only a C- rating.

That's what I suspected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2019 7:35 PM

R7 / OP, did I touch a nerve?

Here's what I posted in another thread:

FLA

Biden +9

PA

Biden +1

MICH

Biden +3

WIS

Biden +6

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2019 7:35 PM

That's an even worse rating than Rasmussen, which gets a C+.

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2019 7:36 PM

[QUOTE]PA Biden +1

Is that supposed to be a good thing?

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2019 7:37 PM

Political fortunes are difficult to predict so far out from the elections. These numbers will certainly change in unpredictable ways over those many months ahead. Be smart and hold steady for now. There’s no reason to panic.

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2019 7:37 PM

Are you blind to the Florida number?

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2019 7:38 PM

Yes, R11 / OP, a plus is a good thing. Would you prefer tRump +1?

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2019 7:38 PM

By contrast, Quinnipiac, which has much worse numbers for Trump, is an A- pollster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2019 7:38 PM

Quinnipiac isn’t using likely voters. They’re polling registered voters, many of whom don’t vote.

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2019 7:41 PM

F-O is a republican-leaning pollster.

This is why you can never trust places like The Hill -- they tend to simply repeat whatever press release they've been fed without acknowledging its biases. Crappy journalism.

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2019 7:42 PM

Mayor Pete is the only one who can beat Trump. Biden is an old exhausted fool.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2019 7:42 PM

[quote] Mayor Pete is the only one who can beat Trump. Biden is an old exhausted fool.

The numbers say differently.

by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2019 7:43 PM

[quote]Quinnipiac isn’t using likely voters.

Most pollsters aren't, right now, because doing so is pointless.

by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2019 7:44 PM

[QUOTE]Mayor Pete is the only one who can beat Trump. Biden is an old exhausted fool.

Joe Biden may be old, but he’s the only one with a coalition of Democratic voters behind him who can get him into the White House.

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2019 7:45 PM

[QUOTE]Most pollsters aren't, right now, because doing so is pointless.

Why is it pointless?

by Anonymousreply 22June 18, 2019 7:45 PM

Can we just stop with this nonsense about who "can't" beat Trump? All of the major candidates absolutely [italic]can[/italic] beat Trump, based on all of the data we have thus far. Until there is new data, pretending that they can't just reveals you as either an idiot or a partisan.

by Anonymousreply 23June 18, 2019 7:46 PM

One always has to be cautious with polls this far in advance, but the new Quinnipiac poll today shows Biden & Sanders with large leads over Trump in Florida:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 18, 2019 7:47 PM

Because the election is too far away, R22. You can't really develop your "likely voter" model until we're closer to the election, at least not a model that has any semblance of accuracy.

by Anonymousreply 25June 18, 2019 7:47 PM

R21 You don't know what is going to happen with so many candidates. Biden is a boring choice like Hill was. They need someone young like Buttigieg to take on Trump. The old farts like Bernie,Warren and Biden are so spent.

by Anonymousreply 26June 18, 2019 7:48 PM

They don't show their methodology which can greatly impact the poll numbers. How was the poll conducted? In person, online, landline? How was the question worded? All can impact the outcome. Polls traditionally under report young people and POC so if we can mobilize young people and POC, we should be okay. Good luck trying to get that coalition with Biden or Sanders.

by Anonymousreply 27June 18, 2019 7:48 PM

The other good news for Biden in Florida is that it shows him with a huge lead in the Democratic Primary.

As Harry Enten said today, as long as Biden gets through Iowa & New Hampshire, he could wrap up the Dem nomination in Florida:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 18, 2019 7:51 PM

Biden made some mistakes in Iowa lately. He told a little boy that he needed to keep the guys away from his sister. Came off a little sexist.

by Anonymousreply 29June 18, 2019 7:51 PM

[quote] Came off a little sexist.

You have got to be fucking kidding.

by Anonymousreply 30June 18, 2019 7:53 PM

[quote] Came off a little sexist.

Hey, he's not a pussy grabber. And while that puts the bar pretty low, it's what we have to go by.

by Anonymousreply 31June 18, 2019 7:54 PM

So women get to choose between a little sexist and a lot sexist. That will drive them to the polls. Good luck with that...

by Anonymousreply 32June 18, 2019 7:57 PM

You know what might drive women to the polls? Roe v. Wade, Planned Parenthood, childcare, equal pay.

You know what women wont care about when going to the polls? Biden saying something that's sexist only the in the delusional minds of morons.

by Anonymousreply 33June 18, 2019 7:58 PM

R27 Biden gets the blacks but Bernie doesn't. Bernie gets the youth vote whereas Biden doesn't. Two old farts who will flop. We need Mayor Pete or Kamala.

by Anonymousreply 34June 18, 2019 8:01 PM

R33 Are you a woman or just another man telling women what they need to care about?

by Anonymousreply 35June 18, 2019 8:01 PM

“Women” are like “Hispanics”: a giant, complex group of people who really shouldn’t even be grouped under a single umbrella. Married white women, for example, will indeed be driven to the polls... to cast their votes for Donald Trump. They’re singlehandedly keeping the Republican Party alive.

by Anonymousreply 36June 18, 2019 8:01 PM

June 18, 2019

Quinnipiac poll of FLORIDA

Biden 50%, Trump 41%

Sanders 48%, Trump 42%

Warren 47%, Trump 43%

Harris 45%, Trump 44%

Buttigieg 44%, Trump 43%

O’Rourke 45%, Trump 44%

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 18, 2019 8:03 PM

[quote] [R27] Biden gets the blacks but Bernie doesn't. Bernie gets the youth vote whereas Biden doesn't. Two old farts who will flop. We need Mayor Pete or Kamala.

Show us the data.

by Anonymousreply 38June 18, 2019 8:04 PM

[quote] So women get to choose between a little sexist and a lot sexist.

Not even close. This is as fake of an argument as "the lesser two evils" argument from 2016.

by Anonymousreply 39June 18, 2019 8:05 PM

Trump is forever stuck at 40-42%, it's only up to the Dems to turn up their votes for the nominee. Vote Dems all the way 2020.

by Anonymousreply 40June 18, 2019 8:05 PM

I prefer Kamala, Major Pete or Elizabeth Warren but having preferences other than Bidden gets you bashed as a Russian Troll by all the Bidden supporters today. I'll vote for anyone the democrats nominate but that doesn't mean I can't express my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 41June 18, 2019 8:05 PM

[QUOTE]Quinnipiac poll of FLORIDA

The only candidates winning that state based on those numbers are Biden and Bernie. Everybody else would lose.

by Anonymousreply 42June 18, 2019 8:06 PM

Is this a poll troll thread? If so, I'll stay. If not, I'm gone.

But, let me write this thought; It's NOT going to be easy. Does anyone think that ALL of the money that is depending upon Trump will go down without a vicious fight? Just look at the financial markets today. They know that Trump is an idiot, and doesn't know what he is doing, but they're able to make money. GOD FORBID that anyone gets into office who is intelligent and knows what they are doing....

by Anonymousreply 43June 18, 2019 8:07 PM

[quote] 538 gives Firehouse-Optimus only a C- rating.

I give 538 an F rating

by Anonymousreply 44June 18, 2019 8:08 PM

General election polls are so meaningless at this stage. We are still in primary season, and even they are while away.

by Anonymousreply 45June 18, 2019 8:08 PM

PollTroll is kicking ass today. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 46June 18, 2019 8:08 PM

Biden & Sanders are the only 2 Democrats consistently competitive with Trump at the moment.

That's not to say that the others can't, but it would be riskier for the Democrats to go with Harris, Warren, Buttigieg, etc.

The Democrats will be closely watching the numbers in Florida because winning that state is pivotal. It's very difficult for Republicans to win the Presidency without it. Biden would have a greater demographic advantage against Trump there than others.

by Anonymousreply 47June 18, 2019 8:08 PM

[QUOTE]General election polls are so meaningless at this stage. We are still in primary season, and even they are while away.

But they can offer us glimpses of the road ahead.

by Anonymousreply 48June 18, 2019 8:08 PM

We're arguing over polls before the first debate has even aired. This is still all largely about name recognition at this point, little more.

by Anonymousreply 49June 18, 2019 8:09 PM

[quote] I give 538 an F rating —2016

I was wondering where this idiot was.

by Anonymousreply 50June 18, 2019 8:09 PM

Why have a coronation? Neither Biden or Sanders deserves to be the nominee without fighting for it. Neither has been very vocal against Trump over the past two years. They certainly weren't leaders of the "resistance." Bernie in fact, voted to remove Russian sanctions. Only one of two senators to vote that way. Let's have a good discussion about the best candidate. The election is over a year away. A lot can happen. Let's explore policies and background. I personally think Biden and Sanders are way too old but would do everything in my power to get them elected if they are the eventually nominee.

by Anonymousreply 51June 18, 2019 8:11 PM

R51 Biden is fucking creepy as hell. No other Dem candidate except for Kamala has such sleaze behind them. BTW Biden was outed for being touchy feely already.

by Anonymousreply 52June 18, 2019 8:12 PM

[quote]General election polls are so meaningless at this stage.

And yet, EVERY 5 minutes for months now all you hear about is poll, poll, poll... Democrats will mess around and lose this. The message is not getting out. Did anyone else watch or see portions of Chris Matthews' last night? Well if you did you would realize that a LARGE portion of the US nation has been effectively brainwashed. From the short time I watched, I couldn't believe what was coming out of the mouths of the "Conservative/Republican/Trump supporter" people. I found it scary. Very, very, scary.

by Anonymousreply 53June 18, 2019 8:13 PM

Who is stopping you, r51? You can have all of these discussions.

R52, you are right-wing idiot or the tool of the right-wing. You pick.

by Anonymousreply 54June 18, 2019 8:14 PM

Why are you surprised r53? Trump has a very strong and loyal base of support. Thankfully, they don't represent most Americans.

by Anonymousreply 55June 18, 2019 8:15 PM

R49 is correct. I've worked in market research for 20 years. Polls this early are largely reflective of name recognition. A lot can change in a year and a half. The number of candidates will decrease quickly once the money runs out and then the main contenders can get some air time. Eventually, I think it will be Biden/Kamala but that isn't my ideal choice.

by Anonymousreply 56June 18, 2019 8:17 PM

I saw it too, R53, which is why I found this poll so frightening when I saw it. Frankly I think these numbers are closer to reality than all those “Joe Biden wins in landslide” polls (as much as I like them since I’m a Biden supporter). If you know America, you know Trump is a perfect fit for many of the buffoons who encompass our citizenry.

by Anonymousreply 57June 18, 2019 8:17 PM

No polls are close to reality at this point. The primary season hasn't even had a debate yet, no one knows who is competing against Trump, and the general election is still forever away.

by Anonymousreply 58June 18, 2019 8:19 PM

Why aren't people voting anymore? It would be nice to try to tend the sheep. I was a likely, reliable voter until 2016. I've seen nothing from the top of the Democratic party since that washout. What Nancy Pelosi knows how to do is utterly smother the youthful energy needed to perpetuate FDR's dying party. Pelosi's culture has seen fit to kill it with no vision of the consequences. Meanwhile, the spastic republicans throw anything against the wall that sticks. It's madness, but also clear evidence the republicans simply want it more.

by Anonymousreply 59June 18, 2019 8:24 PM

Trump certainly isn't doing things that expand his voter appeal. He just keeps playing to the same 35%. A year and a half of more Trump should be enough to elect any sane democrat - especially if the dems start impeachment hearings and we have a daily news feed of the horrible things he and his crew have done.

by Anonymousreply 60June 18, 2019 8:24 PM

I am surprised, R55. The tax cuts didn't help those people in that room. I watched as some Trump supporting woman went on and on about Trump and how she started a business, etc. But, it took another gentleman to set her straight and let her know that Trump had very little to do with what seemingly was going right in her life.

Look... Let's talk about the elephant in the room. Trump and his minions are united by one thing and that is racism and white supremacy--and, I don't mean that in such a bad way. The demographics are changing and white folks are afraid. But, they would rather slit their own wrists than come out and publicly admit it. Why do you thing Trump is going back to his "tried & true" today?

As far as the money people? The loosening of regulations AKA "license to steal" (greed) is overpowering and overwhelming. These people are not going to let loose this environment easily. They will probably nearly fight to their deaths for it.

by Anonymousreply 61June 18, 2019 8:25 PM

Copy and pasted from Fox News, r59.

by Anonymousreply 62June 18, 2019 8:25 PM

The election is still 17 months away. One can only hope Biden or Sanders or Trump just croaks and be gone. The fond farewell votes from the Dems will be staggering.

by Anonymousreply 63June 18, 2019 8:29 PM

[quote]Frankly I think these numbers are closer to reality than all those “Joe Biden wins in landslide” polls (as much as I like them since I’m a Biden supporter).

I think you're correct that the race will tighten up for Biden and that Trump won't be as easy to defeat as some of the polls suggest.

However, there are also some fundamental demographic realities & patterns in some of these polls.

by Anonymousreply 64June 18, 2019 8:29 PM

Winning won't be easy. Trump's poll numbers are at a similar point in his presidency as Obama & Bush. Let's not kid ourselves. The next 17 months are gonna be a wild ride.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 18, 2019 8:34 PM

[quote]Frankly I think these numbers are closer to reality than all those “Joe Biden wins in landslide” polls

And, I think that this is just one of the many Republican strategies that are being implemented. Pay these pollsters to put out this information and establish a false sense of security among the nation--especially, the electorate. They did with Hillary Clinton. Let's all be honest here... who thought that Hillary Clinton was going to lose? Therefore there was no enthusiasm among voters. "I hate her and she's going to win anyway therefore my vote won't matter", etc...

by Anonymousreply 66June 18, 2019 8:39 PM

Who on earth answers the phone for pollsters?

by Anonymousreply 67June 18, 2019 8:40 PM

R65, it's certainly true that incumbent Presidents have a lot of advantages, and the majority of them get re-elected. Trump also will have a stronger ground operation than he did in 2016 when he had a weak team behind him.

by Anonymousreply 68June 18, 2019 8:41 PM

[quote]Winning won't be easy. Trump's poll numbers are at a similar point in his presidency as Obama & Bush. Let's not kid ourselves. The next 17 months are gonna be a wild ride.

And, with all due respect R65, let's NOT do this. Let's not do what the television pundits, (who have yet to accept their responsibility in getting this idiot elected), do. WE WANT TO BE BEAT AND DESTROY TRUMP!!! No other name need be mentioned in this mission.

by Anonymousreply 69June 18, 2019 8:42 PM

Fox News and Quinnipiac numbers for Biden vs. Trump:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 18, 2019 8:43 PM

The Hill is just out trolling like they always do, their collaborations with HarrisX are the very worst and intentionally misleading.

Basically, to the Hill Hispanics are bad, Beto is bad, Pete is bad, Bernie is good, blacks are good, and Asians don't exist.

by Anonymousreply 71June 18, 2019 8:51 PM

Reputable polling firms don't switch over to a "likely voters" screen until much closer to the election, and certainly not before the Democratic primary is decided. This unknown pollster is trying to create a name for itself by getting headlines early.

But everyone should know that the country is divided, and this election will be very close. It's impossible for any Democrat to win by double digits.

by Anonymousreply 72June 18, 2019 9:12 PM

[quote]Reputable polling firms don't switch over to a "likely voters" screen until much closer to the election, and certainly not before the Democratic primary is decided. This unknown pollster is trying to create a name for itself by getting headlines early.

But, who is paying him? Who are paying any of these pollsters? I'm being quite serious when I write that it seems like every 5 min. MSNBC is referencing some poll, on every program, every sing day, for at least the past two months now.

No one is really talking about policy or policy differences. It's all focused on the horse race.

by Anonymousreply 73June 18, 2019 9:18 PM

Trump's approval rating has hovered around 40% for a while now--that is not a good re-elect number at all. He needs to pull a rabbit out of a hat again... and his support in suburbs is collapsing, too.

by Anonymousreply 74June 18, 2019 9:41 PM

[quote]He needs to pull a rabbit out of a hat again...

Here's your rabbit;

[quote]Trump says millions in U.S. illegally to be deported starting next week

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 18, 2019 9:48 PM

Trump loves being unpredictable and frightening. Rebels in the attention. I still can’t believe a megalomaniac like that is the President. God knows what’s in store over the next year and a half.

by Anonymousreply 76June 18, 2019 9:51 PM

[QUOTE]Revels* in the attention.

by Anonymousreply 77June 18, 2019 9:52 PM

[quote]God knows what’s in store over the next year and a half.

He's going to start behaving like a cornered animal. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts shooting brown babies in the middle of Fifth Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 78June 18, 2019 9:53 PM

[quote]The only candidates winning that state based on those numbers are Biden and Bernie. Everybody else would lose.

So what you're telling us that math isn't your strong point.

by Anonymousreply 79June 18, 2019 9:53 PM

The Hill is named after the pile of crap that is most of the articles. You might as well be quoting Info Wars.

Until the Democrats have a candidate these polls are completely meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 80June 18, 2019 9:55 PM

[quote]Here's your rabbit: Trump says millions in U.S. illegally to be deported starting next week

He tried that in 2018, remember? It didn't work then and there's no reason to believe it will now, particularly since he's lying. At most, he's going to be able to deport a few thousand and the cost of doing so and the optics of rounding up women and children so horrific that it's the reason he lost his head of DHS.

by Anonymousreply 81June 18, 2019 9:55 PM

Optimus is rated c- at 538. Firehouse is a Republican outfit. Yeah. Not at all reliable.

by Anonymousreply 82June 18, 2019 9:56 PM

[quote]No one is really talking about policy or policy differences. It's all focused on the horse race.

Welcome to the wonderful world of our modern media. Get used to it. It's far cheaper and easier and faster to talk about the horse race than it is to put forward in-depth articles on policy.

by Anonymousreply 83June 18, 2019 9:56 PM

[QUOTE]So what you're telling us that math isn't your strong point.

You’ve misinterpreted my statement. That’s the rosiest those numbers will ever look for those candidates. If people like Liz Warren can only manage four points now then what will the numbers in Florida look like when it shrinks down to the likely voter models and Trump is suddenly more competitive? Liz Warren and Kamala Harris would clearly lose Florida to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 84June 18, 2019 9:59 PM

The debates haven't even started yet. Good grief. Stop declaring winners when there are none.

by Anonymousreply 85June 18, 2019 10:05 PM

[quote]Stop declaring winners when there are none.

I think that we, the people, can help the media out by writing/calling/ emailing, etc DEMANDING that we want to hear ISSUES rather than the horse races

by Anonymousreply 86June 18, 2019 10:09 PM

I think it is way to early for any polls, but ultimately there is a lot of money to be made in presidential elections so you see early, meaningless polls and click bait headlines to get the machine running again.

[quote]The debates haven't even started yet. sd

Has a debate performance, in recent history, ever really changed someone's mind? I think democrats put way too much focus on debates.

by Anonymousreply 87June 18, 2019 10:18 PM

[quote]Has a debate performance, in recent history, ever really changed someone's mind?

Yes. Obama in 2008.

by Anonymousreply 88June 18, 2019 10:19 PM

If anything the debates are just going to make things worse. The media moderators in control of them will turn it into a blood sport for ratings. They want to see these candidates claw each other apart, their respective supporters drawing battle lines and warring over who should wear the crown with the losers vowing to support Trump.

by Anonymousreply 89June 18, 2019 10:21 PM

The only polls that have any relevance at this time are for the Democratic primaries. The general election outcome won't look like the current polls at all. The matchup needs to be finalized and then all kinds of things could happen. It's expected that political gravity will pull support to Trump as the incumbent and because of the economy.

by Anonymousreply 90June 18, 2019 10:25 PM

Troll who posted this - your idiot Trump is losing BADLY in almost all the polls. Sorry hon - not even Russian fixing will work this time.

by Anonymousreply 91June 18, 2019 10:29 PM

Fuck off, R91.

by Anonymousreply 92June 18, 2019 10:31 PM

The economy is booming. The Republican is the incumbent. No wars. This won't be a cakewalk. This is gonna tighten up. I remember thinking no way Bush gets reelected. Not with that awful war of his. But lo and behold the American ppl in their infinite wisdom reelected the goof.

by Anonymousreply 93June 18, 2019 10:56 PM

[quote]You’ve misinterpreted my statement. That’s the rosiest those numbers will ever look for those candidates.

Oh, so it's not that you're lousy at math; it's that you're ignorant. Got it.

[quote]If people like Liz Warren can only manage four points now then what will the numbers in Florida look like when it shrinks down to the likely voter models and Trump is suddenly more competitive? Liz Warren and Kamala Harris would clearly lose Florida to Trump.

Like I said.... this "analysis" is so genuinely stupid that it doesn't warrant a rebuttal.

by Anonymousreply 94June 18, 2019 11:18 PM

[quote] Nobody else is giving us likely voter numbers. It’s a snapshot, but also a much needed cold glass of water to the face for anyone who thinks this might be easy.

Agreed. Poll may not be credible but no one should believe that Biden wins easily over Trump. Trump has his base of morons in a lather, they are prepared to go to the polls. Biden excites no one. It will be uphill getting folks who wouldn't vote for HRC to vote for Biden. Republicans will paint Biden as the return of Obama and there is nothing more motivating to Deplorables than the name "Obama."

by Anonymousreply 95June 18, 2019 11:26 PM

Remember when Trump was obviously going to lose to Queen Clinton, only for that to fall apart only an hour in? Yeah...don't get cocky

by Anonymousreply 96June 18, 2019 11:33 PM

[quote]Republicans will paint Biden as the return of Obama and there is nothing more motivating to Deplorables than the name "Obama."

And, that will be just fine for the African American community--you know, the vote that everyone wants. This is why Biden is polling so high at this time. People, (some of the white folk), were SHOCKED to see how many African American voters poured out to vote. Biden is a link to Obama and will bring back the Obama years of respect and dignity? That'll be just fine for a good number of the people.

by Anonymousreply 97June 18, 2019 11:33 PM

But Biden isn't Obama, which will become painfully apparent during the debates.

by Anonymousreply 98June 18, 2019 11:43 PM

Biden is seen as a safe choice now. But he has no charisma and he’s a little too old—not the best the Dems can offer, I’m afraid.

by Anonymousreply 99June 18, 2019 11:46 PM

I'm sure Log Cabin poster boy, Steve Kornacki, will be breathlessly reporting this stupid poll and telling viewers how bad it looks for Democrats......because that's what he does.

by Anonymousreply 100June 18, 2019 11:47 PM

[quote]Biden is seen as a safe choice now. But he has no charisma and he’s a little too old—not the best the Dems can offer, I’m afraid.

And therfore, Trump is the better option?

by Anonymousreply 101June 18, 2019 11:54 PM

R101 Has Biden been given the nomination already?

Did we miss the convention?

by Anonymousreply 102June 18, 2019 11:55 PM

Biden runs terrible campaigns. You don’t get better at anything in your 70s

by Anonymousreply 103June 18, 2019 11:56 PM

[quote]But Biden isn't Obama, which will become painfully apparent during the debates.

Once again, this just shows the stupidity of the nation. While the debates can be important and should be considered, bottom line it's a television performance. There is no where enough time to delve into policy and vision. It's an opportunity for sound bites and to determine who got the best punch. They are entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 104June 18, 2019 11:59 PM

2016 already showed us what happens when people think the debates are useless. So you might want to rethink that stupidity part.

The debates gave a huge boost to Bill Clinton and Barack Obama's campaigns and got them the nomination.

Or is this shaping up to be the excuse for Biden not being able to rise to the occasion? Warren getting conveniently booted from the frontrunner lineup wasn't enough?

by Anonymousreply 105June 19, 2019 12:16 AM

^It's a performance. Trump performed quite well. He promised affordable healthcare for everyone. There never was any plan. He promised tax cuts for everyone. There was no plan until after he was elected and they rushed together a one page bullet point piece of paper. On and on...

While the debates can be important they are entertainment television. Go watch a sporting match.

by Anonymousreply 106June 19, 2019 12:26 AM

Well, this pissed off the unwashed....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 19, 2019 12:32 AM

[quote]Trump performed quite well.

He lost all three debates.

by Anonymousreply 108June 19, 2019 12:33 AM

^To those who can read and write. The intelligent. But, he was so endeared into the hearts of his many friends...

[quote]Look... Let's talk about the elephant in the room. Trump and his minions are united by one thing and that is racism and white supremacy--and, I don't mean that in such a bad way. The demographics are changing and white folks are afraid. But, they would rather slit their own wrists than come out and publicly admit it. Why do you thing Trump is going back to his "tried & true" today?

by Anonymousreply 109June 19, 2019 12:39 AM

Biden is charismatic. He has a way of getting in people's head.... If he's the nominee I'm good. I'm down w anyone but the loathsome Sanders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110June 19, 2019 12:47 AM

Instead of playing with the hand you're being dealt, why are some of you fighting so hard against Joe Biden? And don't think that we don't see what you're doing. Some of you have got to stop the nonsense and open your eyes to the obvious. Biden is our strongest candidate. Followed in most polls by Bernie. I know some of you want a woman or a candidate of color, but you need to get over that and start dealing in reality. The quicker we get this finished and the party unified, the more quickly we can get to defeating Trump. You may not like Biden, but even with his faults, he is a million times better than the moron who is currently holding that office hostage. Keep your eyes on the prize, people.

by Anonymousreply 111June 19, 2019 1:43 AM

One of the 85074 things I don't get about Americans:

"Sure, this guy's a disaster, he's a Russia cuck, demented liar, lecherous grifter, robbing us and separating migrant families, but no currently leading Democratic candidate excites me, so they are all going to lose."

One troll I could understand. The 2016 election no-shows are numerous though, and it looks, 32 months later, they haven't learned anything.

by Anonymousreply 112June 19, 2019 1:55 AM

The brainiacs, the Mercers, have abandoned Trump. Trump's biggest cheerleaders are leaving him in droves.... The weekend b4 Trump won their was so much good will in the Midwest owing to the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series - something not done in 100+years. All that shit is connected in a voter's psyche. This time white(suburban) women are pissed - cuz of the abortion drama. And HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE A FRAU SCORNED!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113June 19, 2019 2:07 AM

R108, as long as he wasn't actively gibbering on stage, that means he "performed quite well." The bar for Trump has been set so low for so long that all he has to do is say something vaguely resembling the English language and his supporters applaud and the news media "interpret" his gibberish.

by Anonymousreply 114June 19, 2019 2:07 AM

Tell us Op, Are you a Boris or a Nastashia...we'd hate to misgender you.

by Anonymousreply 115June 19, 2019 2:23 AM

Tole ya....

TRUMP RAISES ‘RECORD BREAKING’ AMOUNT ONLY 24 HOURS AFTER HIS CAMPAIGN KICKOFF, MCDANIEL SAYS

President Donald Trump raised nearly $25 million in less than one day after he officially launched his 2020 campaign, according to Republican National Committee officials Wednesday.

“[Trump] has raised a record breaking $24.8M in less than 24 hours for his re-election,” said Ronna McDaniel, RNC chairwoman. “The enthusiasm across the country for this President is unmatched and unlike anything we’ve ever seen!”

The president brought in more money in one day than any of the Democratic presidential hopefuls raised during the entire first quarter, according to officials. Former Vice President Joe Biden led the other 2020 Democrats in first-day contributions with $6.3 million, followed by former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke, who came in second place with $6.1 million.

“This shatters every fundraising record! By comparison, Biden raised $6 million… the top 5 Democrats COMBINED only raised $14 million,” tweeted Eric Trump. “The excitement for [Trump] last night was off the charts! #Winning“

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders outraised his Democratic competition in the first quarter with $18.2 million. Biden, however, launched his campaign in late-April and has not yet officially reported. He said Monday he had 360,000 donors with an average contribution of $55 ....

But, let me add this... THIS ADMINISTRATION AND EVERYONE ASSOCIATED WITH IT LIE! LIE! LIE!!! Also, they're all very image and headline oriented. This more than likely is all staged.

I'm telling you that these people WILL NOT go down without a fight. This whole thing will get so nasty that it will be beyond many of our wildest imaginations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116June 19, 2019 2:32 PM

Whomever wins the nomination needs to pick off either one of the three surprise states of 2016, MI, PA, or WI. That person needs to enter the 2020 election with a leg up. Cuz this won't be easy. They all have Democratic governors. They should choose one from that group and run with it. Gretchen Whitmer would be a good choice imho

by Anonymousreply 117June 19, 2019 3:49 PM

USA Today/Suffolk poll Registered voters.

Trump approval 49%

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118June 19, 2019 4:01 PM

Aggregated polls: Trump approval rating at 42.5%, where it's been stuck for months. He's still unpopular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119June 19, 2019 9:50 PM

R116, Shane Goldmacher of The New York Times looked at the details of the Trump fundraising & has some interesting observations:

[quote]One important piece of context on Trump's huge $24.8 million one-day haul: It includes money raised into his joint RNC committees where the limits are far, far higher than the $2,800 for Democrats (or $5,600 for those taking general elex $$). ‏

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120June 19, 2019 11:45 PM

You can't compare Trumps fundraising to an individual democratic candidate. It isn't apples to apples. It's all data folks. You have to know what is being counted and by whom. Same with polls.

by Anonymousreply 121June 19, 2019 11:49 PM

R110 Biden is an old spent,gropey pervy idiot. We need a much better candidate to beat the Dope In Chief.

by Anonymousreply 122June 19, 2019 11:53 PM

That's why you compare total Democratic candidate fundraising to total Republican candidate fundraising. What that, Trump's haul doesn't look so good.

by Anonymousreply 123June 20, 2019 1:06 AM

[quote]You can't compare Trumps fundraising to an individual democratic candidate. It isn't apples to apples. It's all data folks. You have to know what is being counted and by whom. Same with polls.

But, you're missing the perception factor. The average listener will only hear; "Trump raised $25MM in 24 hours." that's all they will hear. They might hear that the average donation was $55. But, they won't hear much more.

You're smart and you will delve into the numbers. The average American won't.

by Anonymousreply 124June 20, 2019 1:20 AM

It's not like that matters, though, R124. They're used to Trump's bragging and the haul just isn't that large or impressive. It will be overridden when the Democrats release their quarterly funding numbers.

by Anonymousreply 125June 20, 2019 1:40 AM

[quote]They're used to Trump's bragging

Do they view it as simple bragging? Or, as something else.

I'm the last one to stand up for Trump but I think the mistake will be in thinking that Trump supporters can think for themselves. They see what they want to see and they hear what they want to hear. When I saw some news clip of some Republican woman, (a Trump supporter), who was unaware that the Mueller report did not clear Trump.... Well, I found the linked article.

To me, this is a red flag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126June 20, 2019 1:59 AM

I was talking about the "average American," r126, as mentioned in r124.

As for his rabid supporters, It doesn't really matter. Yeah, there's a cult of personality around Trump and yes, they only see the news they want, but there aren't enough of them to elect Trump. He needs more and I don't think any part of that "more" is going to be terribly impressed with that $25 million figure.

by Anonymousreply 127June 20, 2019 2:16 AM

It's going to be an uphill battle...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128June 23, 2019 4:34 PM

For Trump, R128, yes. For the Democratic candidate, not so much. When you start from a position of the majority of voters saying that they do not want Trump to win the next election, that's a pretty good place to start that battle.

by Anonymousreply 129June 23, 2019 4:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!