Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

This man ate ‘expired’ food for a year. Here’s why expiration dates are practically meaningless.

Last year, Mom’s Organic Market founder and chief executive Scott Nash did something many of us are afraid to do: He ate a cup of yogurt months after its expiration date. Then tortillas a year past their expiration date. “I mean, I ate heavy cream I think 10 weeks past date,” Nash said, “and then meat sometimes a good month past its date. It didn’t smell bad. Rinse it off, good to go.” It was all part of his year-long experiment to test the limits of food that had passed its expiration date. In the video above, we interviewed Nash about his experiment and examined where expiration dates come from and what they really mean.

It turns out that the dates on our food labels do not have much to do with food safety. In many cases, expiration dates do not indicate when the food stops being safe to eat — rather, they tell you when the manufacturer thinks that product will stop looking and tasting its best. Some foods, such as deli meats, unpasteurized milk and cheese, and prepared foods such as potato salad that you do not reheat, probably should be tossed after their use-by dates for safety reasons.

Tossing out a perfectly edible cup of yogurt every once in a while does not seem that bad. But it adds up. According to a survey by the Harvard Law School Food Law and Policy Clinic, the Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future, and the National Consumers League, 84 percent of consumers at least occasionally throw out food because it is close to or past its package date, and over one third (37 percent) say they always or usually do so. That food waste in landfills generates carbon dioxide and methane, a greenhouse gas 28 to 36 times more effective at trapping heat in the atmosphere than carbon dioxide. And you are not just wasting calories and money. You are wasting all the resources that went into growing, packaging and transporting that food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 20, 2019 7:07 PM

I do eat expired yogurt if it looksand smells fine, but am always a bit nervous about it. Looks like I shouldn't have worried.

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2019 6:59 PM

And? Some people smoke like chimney for 30 years and are still hanging in there. I don't need to copy that shit.

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2019 6:59 PM

There was a whole piece on this on NPR about a month or two ago, how most expiration dates are bullshit and most food doesn't go bad if it's unopened. Similar point too--that we throw away enough food to feed The Darfur Orphan and his entire country

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2019 7:02 PM

No shit, I saw some body wash with and expiration date on it. I have no doubt the squeamie-meemies millennials will throw it out.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2019 7:03 PM

It's to avoid legal liability on the company's side. Most people can just do the smell/look test to see if something is still edible. Unless you've survived off shit processed food for so long you've lost that ability.

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2019 7:04 PM

Years ago when generic and store brand soda began capturing market share, Coke and Pepsi started putting expiration dates on their bottles and cans. It was completely bogus, but selling their superior freshness to cheaper store brands was easy marketing.

Expiration dates are also used to keep product flushing through retail outlets supplied by independent suppliers. Manufacturers learned that their products could sit in store shelves indefinitely if they didn’t incentivize clearing out product.

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2019 7:15 PM

I’ve noticed that McDonald’s gave me expired yogurt at least a of couple of times. I’ve noticed it only after finished eating them. I didn’t noticed any difference in taste nor had stomach trouble.

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2019 7:17 PM

I'm noticing the opposite. I buy food and it spoils so quickly. Either time is moving ridiculously faster or it is already a bit old at the store itself. I can't get through a loaf of bread without it turning green with mold (and, no, I don't eat it, though this too is apparently safe to do).

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2019 7:18 PM

It sounds like you just have to clean your kitchen more often, ya slob!

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2019 7:26 PM

LOL, I would be insulted but you are dead on. My kitchen is a mess. I am curious though; is that really a reason that things would spilt faster? I mean, most are in the refrigerator. But would that affect the bread? How? Mold agents in the air?

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2019 7:30 PM

My partner is an absolute stickler about expiration dates for food and medicines. I know it's bunk but it's so hard to convince him

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2019 7:39 PM

Most yogurts are sealed in airtight containers. It takes a long long time to expire in those conditions

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2019 7:40 PM

Eating expired food is still a foolish risk, it could end up being the most expensive, (and deadly), meal you've ever eaten.

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2019 7:41 PM

[quote] Years ago when generic and store brand soda began capturing market share, Coke and Pepsi started putting expiration dates on their bottles and cans. It was completely bogus, but selling their superior freshness to cheaper store brands was easy marketing.

Expiration dates on sodas are not bogus. While they won't make you sick, they do taste terrible even close to the date stamp. When I used to drink diet sodas I could always tell before looking at the date if I'd gotten a "skunky" one. And sure enough, it was a couple weeks prior to the expiration date or some time after it. Taught me to check the dates before I bought them. And now I just don't buy them at all.

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2019 7:47 PM

So Mom’s Organic Market sells food that fell off a truck 6 months ago?

I thought that was Aldi’s competitive advantage.

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2019 7:51 PM

Hoarders are into past expiration food, also unrefrigerated. I guess if the smell doesn't make them gag, it's dinner time. A little past expiration is usually fine, it's just not as enjoyable to eat. They should sell that stuff cheap, poor people would appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2019 8:09 PM

The irony of someone from Moms pushing the labels are meaningless message when their entire store is full of woo like organic, non-gmo, all natural, hormone free, antibiotic free, etc. it’s all marketing. He’s just too stupid to realize it.

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2019 8:12 PM

[quote]their entire store is full of woo

I wanna go to this store. Do they ever have woo sales?

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2019 8:32 PM

Buttermilk and heavy cream keep forever. I’ve used buttermilk six months after buying it. My husband eats old meat. I can’t do that. I barely like it New.

by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2019 9:18 PM

[quote] I can't get through a loaf of bread without it turning green with mold

R8 -- I refrigerate my bread, I know this is sacrilegious to some but it has lasted over 6 months in the refrigerator with no mold and if it gets a little dry I either microwave it for a couple of seconds to bring back the moisture or toast it. I just don't eat enough bread to not refrigerate it, I would get two slices out of it and then have to throw it away.

by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2019 9:48 PM

Microwaving old refrigerated bread? Dear lord, now I've heard it all.

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2019 9:50 PM

Bread is $1.25

by Anonymousreply 22June 18, 2019 9:54 PM

I think it was on an episode of Rocco de Spirito's show where the husband was a doctor and his wife complained he always ate food after the expiration date. Some of the items in the fridge had expired years ago. I remember thinking this guy's a doctor and he's still standing so he should know if it's harmful or not.

by Anonymousreply 23June 18, 2019 9:56 PM

This is like the ultimate Maiden Aunt Brigade thread.

The worst case scenario with most expired food is that it will be a little stale.

by Anonymousreply 24June 18, 2019 10:00 PM

[quote]Bread is $1.25

Are you posting from the 1990s?

Tell us about beepers.

by Anonymousreply 25June 18, 2019 10:27 PM

I keep loaves of bread in the freezer and I've never had an issue.

by Anonymousreply 26June 18, 2019 10:31 PM

Do you have any frozen butter to go with it?

by Anonymousreply 27June 18, 2019 10:33 PM

Yes, I do. Would you like a few pats (of butter that is?)

by Anonymousreply 28June 18, 2019 10:34 PM

No r25 I shop at Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 29June 18, 2019 10:37 PM

So do I, r29. In New York the cheapest you’ll get it for is about $2.59. Maybe a $1.99 special on occasion.

by Anonymousreply 30June 18, 2019 10:38 PM

I put sliced bread in the freezer also. I almost always have it as toast for breakfast or toasted as a sandwich. I comes out perfect every time from the toaster.

by Anonymousreply 31June 18, 2019 10:40 PM

Yes, keep bread in the freezer and you don't have to worry about mold and if you keep it properly sealed, it'll be fresh every time. Why would you worry about yogurt expiring? Or sour cream? Unless there's mold it's fine. The only thing I don't let hang around is leftovers...something like chicken soup in Tupperware I'd eat PDQ or toss. Same with leftover meats.

by Anonymousreply 32June 18, 2019 10:50 PM

[quote] A little past expiration is usually fine, it's just not as enjoyable to eat. They should sell that stuff cheap, poor people would appreciate it.

The Grocery Outlet chain does that, R16. The closer the expiration date becomes, the lower the price goes. If I'm going to use yogurt to make smoothies and freeze them for future breakfasts, I can buy it just before it expires for a fraction of the regular price with no harm done.

by Anonymousreply 33June 18, 2019 10:53 PM

I actually thought this was getting to be common knowledge by now. That expiration dates aren't really a hard and fast "rule."

by Anonymousreply 34June 18, 2019 10:54 PM

Do people really think expiration dates are some magical thing where the food immediately goes bad at the stroke of midnight? How could the food tell time?

by Anonymousreply 35June 18, 2019 11:01 PM

I’ve got some milk in the fridge that’s about to turn sour.

And there it goes.

by Anonymousreply 36June 18, 2019 11:12 PM

R36, freeze the milk and use it in recipes that call for baking soda or buttermilk or sour cream (including homemade ranch dressing or dip). Google substitutes for buttermilk and sour cream to learn what adjustments need to be made -- easy, cheaper than buying special ingredients, and avoids wasting the sour milk. My mother used to set a shallow bowl of milk on top of the refrigerator overnight to get sour, then added it to recipes for chocolate cake the next day -- the linked recipe is a simple one for that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2019 12:28 AM

You are full of it, R37. You don't make buttermilk or even soured milk, by leaving out regular pasteurized milk. Commercial buttermilk is cultured, similar to yogurt or sour cream. Pasteurized milk will sour from whatever random bacteria are in the environment, likely leading to nasty results.

by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2019 12:37 AM

Good to know. I have a giant tub of expired potato salad in my cupboard I was going to bring to the office potluck. I was going to buy a new tub to bring but now I won’t have to.

by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2019 2:37 AM

^ You must really like your coworkers. 😂

by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2019 3:21 AM

Look it up, R38.

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2019 3:40 AM

Recipes? Dafuq I look like, Julia Child?

by Anonymousreply 42June 19, 2019 11:32 AM

I have a bad habit of buying jars of some kind of sauce, using it once and leaving in the fridge for ages. How long do you reckon opened jars are safe for? Things like alfredo sauce or Indian cooking sauces. I feel a little safer with tomato-based sauces because of all the acid, but the others are more of a question mark.

I've had food poisoning a few times in my life so I'm prone to erring on the side of caution.

by Anonymousreply 43June 19, 2019 12:00 PM

Well, every so often we go through our medicine cabinet and our pantry to check dates on canned goods. I once tossed some tuna that had an expiration date of 2011. I figured since it was several years past the date, maybe I better.

by Anonymousreply 44June 19, 2019 12:12 PM

Anyone who shops knows this to be true. The one thing I pause on is prepared salads which are generally accurate in terms of expiration, and milk. Of course, you can tell by smell and taste if both of these things are expired. Dates are meant as guidelines, not cut and dry throw away times. Is this really even a thing that people don’t get this? It’s amazing to me how stupid people even get through the day sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 45June 19, 2019 12:15 PM

The article was just clickbait R45.

OTOH re your comments about stupid people, have you ever watched people at self-checkout? It changed my outlook on humanity.

by Anonymousreply 46June 19, 2019 9:53 PM

Only Americans are obsessed with expiration dates.

by Anonymousreply 47June 19, 2019 10:18 PM

My mother only threw out expired milk when we were growing up, and even that had to pass her smell/taste test before it got tossed out. Every thing else got put on the stove, onto a plate, and we had to eat it. So I've known expiration dates were bullshit. And pills, gurl please. I keep that shit forever!

by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2019 10:23 PM

My understanding with pills is if they’re passed the expiration date they merely suffer efficacy.

by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2019 10:33 PM

Why would you take a risk like that with pills? The whole purpose of pills is to get you to feel better. If it's not as effective after the expiration date, they why the fuck would you take it?

by Anonymousreply 50June 19, 2019 10:35 PM

[quote] Years ago when generic and store brand soda began capturing market share, Coke and Pepsi started putting expiration dates on their bottles and cans. It was completely bogus

No it isn't bogus. Drink a coke past it's expiration date. It doesn't taste like Coke. It taste's like some disgusting generic soda. It won't harm you, but it taste's like shit. If you like stuff that taste's like shit, just buy cheap shit in the first place

by Anonymousreply 51June 19, 2019 10:41 PM

[quote] My understanding with pills is if they’re passed the expiration date they merely suffer efficacy.

They may suffer efficacy. But taking expired Tetracycline is VERY DANGEROUS. You can harm your kidneys

by Anonymousreply 52June 19, 2019 10:47 PM

Yes, r52, but most of us don’t have antibiotics in our medicine cabinets as much as, say, Tylenol.

R50, the point is you’re not taking a risk. Think of this scenario: you catch a cold and can’t sleep. The NyQuil you have in your medicine cabinet expired two months ago. Damn.

Do you go to the store and buy a new bottle in the middle of the night, or do you take the expired NyQuil, knowing the expiration date means it’s just not as effective as when it’s new?

by Anonymousreply 53June 19, 2019 11:12 PM

Once it's in you, you can't get it out. I don't chance it. Especially medicine. I don't want to be one of those freak casualties.

by Anonymousreply 54June 20, 2019 3:56 PM

I'm so thankful for this thread..it reminded me to race to the medicine chest and throw out my expired Oxys an Vicodin. Thank gawd I checked!

by Anonymousreply 55June 20, 2019 5:11 PM

I have some hydrocodone that’s over 20 years old. It’s probably completely ineffective at this point but I can’t bring myself to throw it away.

by Anonymousreply 56June 20, 2019 5:50 PM

Don’t, r56. I’ll take it off your hands.

by Anonymousreply 57June 20, 2019 5:52 PM

[quote] No it isn't bogus. Drink a coke past it's expiration date. It doesn't taste like Coke. It taste's like some disgusting generic soda. It won't harm you, but it taste's like shit. If you like stuff that taste's like shit, just buy cheap shit in the first place

Thanks. Maybe read the thread next time. This was covered.

by Anonymousreply 58June 20, 2019 6:06 PM

I had Norco left over from surgery and three years later took some when I was in screaming agony from a tooth that had shattered. It was absolutely not as strong as it had been three years prior, and it had just been sitting in a box on a shelf in my office, out of the sun. If yours is over 20 years old, it has to be basically useless by now.

by Anonymousreply 59June 20, 2019 6:09 PM

For whatever reason, the meat at my local Kroger doesn't even last until the expiration date. If I buy meat there, I put it in the freezer immediately, and even then don't dare leave it in the fridge more than three days after taking it out of the freezer.

I'd heard so many people say that meat that looked a little brown was fine, but I fried some ground beef like that up for chili one night and it was positively rank. The smell was terrible and by the time I got a trash bag to scrape it into, it was green. And it had only been out of the freezer and in the fridge for about 36 hours. The center was still frozen.

by Anonymousreply 60June 20, 2019 6:12 PM

Over time, baking powder loses its ability to make batter rise. So there is a legitimate reason to print expiration dates on cans of the powder and boxes of products that include it (cake mixes, muffin mixes, etc). I don't know how accurate those dates are, but I did once bake an extremely flat batch of cornbread from a mix that was 2 years old.

And I agree about soft drinks after trying a very old can of Pepsi -- so flat that it had no bubbles and no taste, not even sweet.

by Anonymousreply 61June 20, 2019 7:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!