Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NYers (and others) must upgrade their Driver's Licenses by October 2020.

If you want to use your NYS Driver’s License to allow you to board domestic flights, enter military bases, and federal facilities, you MUST change your current NYS Driver’s License to a REAL ID-compliant one by October 1, 2020.

Customers have three options when it comes to getting a driver license, permit, or non-driver ID in New York State. • Enhanced • REAL ID • Standard After October 1, 2020, only the Enhanced or REAL ID will be accepted to get on a domestic flight, enter certain federal buildings or military bases (unless you have a Passport). If you plan to travel and do not have a US Passport, we recommend you upgrade before October 2020.

You must visit a DMV Office for this. You cannot get a REAL ID online, by phone, or through mail.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2019 7:41 AM

This is a national mandate. Everyone will have to comply.

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2019 4:59 PM

This was actually useful.

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2019 5:09 PM

There's going to be a mad rush in 2020

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2019 5:24 PM

Already did mine; want it over with before the big rush. It’s going to be a nightmare for Secretaries of State nation wide.

Workers at our Secretary of State were HUGE ASSHOLES about the process even though my husband and I came fully prepared with more docs than necessary.

It was easier for me to get my Global Entry permit from CPB/DHS.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2019 5:29 PM

I tried to upgrade last year when I had to renew my license. The clerk would not accept my original birth certificate. She said only a copy is acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2019 5:33 PM

Yes the Real ID is a national thing. Everyone is going to have to make sure their driver's licenses are real ID compliant.

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2019 5:40 PM

[quote] Workers at our Secretary of State were HUGE ASSHOLES

Don't you just have to go to the DMV?

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2019 5:41 PM

Can you imagine the lines at the DMVs?

Already got mine.

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2019 5:47 PM

r1 Not true. Some states have made ALL of their licenses and ID cards compliant. So nothing needs to be done. It's only the states (including NY and CA) that didn't do so where there's an issues -- and now they have two-tiered systems for their ID cards and licenses.

This photo shows the two different types of cards that California has.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2019 6:18 PM

I understand the rules for elder (gays and others) are especially difficult

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2019 6:22 PM

So California has been issuing fake IDs all this time?

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2019 6:27 PM

I miss the days when you could just hop a freight train, move to another state and assume another identity.

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2019 7:12 PM

If you don’t want to do it you have to have your passport and regular DL in order to fly, even domestic.

And to get in a government facility like a military base.

If you don’t care about those two things you can just stick with a regular DL.

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2019 7:35 PM

[quote]The clerk would not accept my original birth certificate. She said only a copy is acceptable.

This doesn’t make any sense, r5. Why would they want a copy that could’ve been manipulated?

I’m in New York, too, and they wanted an original birth certificate with a seal. My mother (in her seventies!) had to show an original birth certificate, too, and they gave her a hard time because it was hard to read. The damn thing is over 70 years old!

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2019 8:50 PM

My birth certificate is so old it has two boxes for "colored" and "white", no third choice.

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2019 3:39 AM

NYers (and others)? Seriously?

Welcome to 2005, OP.

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2019 8:36 AM

It's amazing that some states have been so far behind on this. My God, Alafuckinbama has had realID licenses for years.

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2019 9:57 AM

It’s quite possible the clerk was being a Grade-A bitch to me R14 or she didn’t know her fat ass from her elbow.

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2019 11:06 AM

R5 you should have told her "well then take the original to your copier and make yourself a copy - YOU FUCKING CLINICAL IMBECILE!".

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2019 11:15 AM

R16 and r17, NY has had what they called Enhanced Licenses for years. They would permit you to go to and from Canada and Mexico without a passport. This is a different thing that’s new requiring you to get one if you want to board a plane, regardless of where it’s going.

And they’re not making it easy to obtain at all. Jumping through hoops like a poodle at the circus.

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2019 12:00 PM

[quote]My birth certificate is so old it has two boxes for "colored" and "white", no third choice.

Mine is so old it's in cuneiform.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2019 5:38 AM

You should have mentioned that people can still use their Passports to board planes - if they are unable or unwilling to get the upgraded driver's licenses.

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2019 7:29 AM

[quote]You must visit a DMV Office for this. You cannot get a REAL ID online, by phone, or through mail.

This is all state dependent.

Look up the rules for your state at the DMV website.

Some states knew this was coming so if you have a license/photo ID that isn't REAL ID compliant (and you got it after a certain date), they've already got you registered in their system and will mail you your new ID via snail mail if you apply online which will save people some trouble.

(My brother lives in Pennsylvania so he was able to get his via mail without having to go into the DMV.)

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2019 7:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!