Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pete Buttigieg admits he suffered from depression after serving in Afghanistan

Wow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178June 27, 2019 4:22 PM

Wowsy wowsy woo woo

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2019 3:02 PM

Game changer.

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2019 3:09 PM

I wanna suck his cock...

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2019 3:15 PM

The question is- did he suffer bone spurs? Those, I hear, are horrific and you can't even golf. They do, however, disappear after a few years or after war.

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2019 3:16 PM

His eyes were so blue that day...

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2019 3:24 PM

A date which will live in infamy, R5...

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2019 3:49 PM

'But I didn't feel the need to get medical treatment because I knew that would permanently fuck up my planned political career.'

So... he was not diagnosed with PTSD or depression, but he would not have been diagnosed if he did not seek out needed help.

He filters a lot of things through his plans for a political career. He waited a ridiculously unnecessary long period of time to come out. Now we discover that he is doing something very similar with his acknowledged depression.

What next?

by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2019 3:53 PM

Over sharing

by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2019 3:57 PM

His depression was cured once he first penetrated Chasen's ass.

by Anonymousreply 9June 17, 2019 4:53 PM

He probably suffered from depression well before he went into Afghanistan, too. The man was a closet case.

by Anonymousreply 10June 17, 2019 5:01 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2019 5:35 PM

Maybe, R7, he didn't feel depressed enough to seek help. Not everyone is the same. Some people have situational depression and then recover on their own.

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2019 12:40 AM

And academics often eschew therapy, even when they need it the most.

Emotion is not their home turf. Intellect is. When dealing with emotional trauma or crisis, they often do what they feel has worked for them in the past. They try to power through intellectually.

But it doesn't work.

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2019 12:54 AM

I deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan as an engineering officer several times between 2002-2009 and what he's describing is a common physical reaction, not just the continually elevated stress hormones (even if you weren't exposed to immediate threat) but also the letdown afterwards. You come back to the everyday civilian world and it's like everything is kind of flat and colorless. If you're a Reservist and the only one at your civilian job, you can really feel like an alien and your job can feel totally trivial and purposeless. It's one of the reasons guys kept going back on multiple deployments. I suppose the closest civilian equivalent would be EMS workers. There were a lot of them in the Reserve, especially corpsmen (medics).

Also, despite officially claiming to support their returning personnel suffering from PTSD, Big Navy talks out both sides of its mouth, and a lot of guys don't seek treatment because of the justifiable fear it will damage their chances of promotion. Once Medical gets you caught in its web, it can be hard to extricate yourself later, even if you feel fine. Buttigieg was probably worried about ending up in front of a Medical Review Board and potentially losing out on his retirement; it's a much bigger risk for a Reservist than active duty as their retirement is based on a point system and if they're forced out before 18 years they can end up with nothing.

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2019 12:59 AM

I think he was only a reservist from 2009 to 2017, R14. So I don't think he's entitled to a retirement.

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2019 1:22 AM

Interesting, R15. I wonder why he did it then, if he intended to do the whole 20 and if so, what made him quit. It's a big investment with little financial return otherwise, especially for a junior officer. I was active duty in the 80s-early 90s, got out, went back as a Reservist after 9-11, then returned to active duty and retired a few months ago, and the financial aspects played a part in that decision. Most Reservists I know intend to go till retirement, for the medical benefits if nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2019 1:30 AM

He definitely didn't join the reserves for the retirement benefits. I think his motivations were partly what he's previously talked about (people like him not enlisting being part of the problem) and partly for political gain.

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2019 1:52 AM

WHY must it be political gain r17? Why why why why? I am a fairly successful person, though not a public figure, I don’t do shit unless it’s something I truly feel passionately about and believe in. I can’t fake it. And I’m smart enough that I could have made a shit ton of money, but I instead opted for career choices where I served under-resourced communities.

Pete could have started ten levels above being a mayor in Indiana, that’s just a fact. But he chose to step up to serve his dying hometown and let go of bigger aspirations. Why? Not every single person in public service is a sociopath or narcissist. I just do *not* read him as someone motivated by personal gain, voters can smell a phoney, and that’s precisely why they like him. He is sincerely sharing who he is and what he believes in. How novel! How refreshing! How timely!!!!!

As he’s said himself numerous times, to truly be someone worthy of serving in the Oval Office, you have to be willing to walk away from it for what you believe in, you have to believe in an idea that’s bigger than you and be willing to do anything for that idea, to protect it no matter what. There are countless Americans who believe this, we have not disappeared or gone extinct, contrary to popular opinion. I did not detect one drop of opportunistic greed when he said that. I *have* to believe there are great public servants because I easily could have become one too. Tammy Duckworth is another one like Pete.

I’m not sure yet who I’ll vote for, it’s too fucking early. But holy shite, how long has it been since we’ve heard a politician who isn’t wearing a mask? A looooooong time. And in the age of the Lying Liar Who Lies, Donnie “Ten Pounds of Shit in a Five Pound Bag” Trump, I don’t see this young man through the grimy lens of cynicism. I feel renewed by Pete, if only because he presents a reprieve from bitterness and cynicism.

Thank you. Good night.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2019 2:17 AM

Very refreshing of him to come clean about this stuff. Harris/Buttigieg 2020

by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2019 2:23 AM

I really like him, too, R18. I think he's mainly motivated by doing good, but I don't believe that anyone is 100% selfless. He has my vote in the primaries.

by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2019 2:40 AM

Maybe Pete planned to do the whole 20 and changed his plans.

I'm not so sure this is a good idea to be sharing about depression. It can so easily be misinterpreted and used against him. He's running for president, not mayor.

People mistakenly think most people are so progressive about mental health but they're not. If he wants to win he needs to deal with the electorate her faces, not a dream electorate.

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2019 2:59 AM

I don't think being human is a bad idea. Pete is a pretty logical guy and doesn't come across super emotional. If anything, this type of info humanizes him.

by Anonymousreply 22June 18, 2019 3:03 AM

Yeah I think most people who have actually served in the military or know someone who has understand exactly what he's talking about and will appreciate him saying it

by Anonymousreply 23June 18, 2019 3:09 AM

He comes across as very human and real. He doesn't need to humanize himself any more than he already appears. He doesn't need to embellish it with stories of being depressed.

Jeeze. Do we want to win this election or not? I am an Army brat so I understand wanting to connect with those who served. I'm just saying he doesn't need to discuss his own depression. What he needs to do is have policies and plans to assist those in the military and their families both while in service and after. Action is what is needed. That will speak the loudest.

by Anonymousreply 24June 18, 2019 3:13 AM

Why do you think he's embellishing? And he discusses policies all the time now. He just gave a foreign policy speech about a week ago.

by Anonymousreply 25June 18, 2019 3:19 AM

Thanks for your service r14.

by Anonymousreply 26June 18, 2019 3:26 AM

R20, I agree in that we are all human. Nobody, and I mean nobody has zero ego or zero self-motivators. And that’s actually a much longed-for thread topic (to me) which is, why do we put politicians on such lofty pedestals? They can *only* disappoint us! Also, it takes away from all the good they actually do, we have to say they are either pure good or pure evil, when in truth, they’re a mixture of both, in varying proportions. Obama, mostly good, in fact, a ton of good. Reagan, a lot of bad, but hard to ultimately say only because he lost his marbles. Nixon? An odd blend of pure evil, yet an INCREDIBLE legacy of groundbreaking policies — if one ignores Vietnam. JFK? Overrated, probably more bad than good, though not a truly evil person. Truman was a very very good man, but many cannot forgive him for the bomb (understandably). I almost can’t think of a single President in modern times that I personally think was all bad — except the one right now.

Just my opinion, and it doesn’t mean I supported Republicans with my vote or activism, I despise their policies, I abhor their policies actually, but I can still “see” most of them as human beings. But this also doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be held accountable — like Bush should be for Iraq, though I do believe it was all Rumsfeld and Cheney, but guess what? He hired them, so he’s still accountable too. I guess if you live long enough and fuck up enough, and experience the fact that sometimes life hands you unfair cards that had NOTHING to do with who you are, well, you understand the Presidents are fallible too. Jimmy Carter is a great man — and a pompous prick and too churchy. Barbara Bush was a damaged woman, quite wounded, hence her sharp tongue and cuntitude. Melania is a hooker with a heart of lead. I call it like I see it folks!!!

Take Obama again. I don’t think we will live to see another President quite as special, and yet, was every single thing he did Golden? Were all of his policies a homerun? No, of course not. Yet every single Dem for a while crucified the man, it didn’t matter how left or center you were/are — he was ripped to shreds.

The American people need to stop turning our Presidents into these unattainable demigods. It’s how we got Trump, or at least part of why we are here. The greatness of the Washington apple tree tale was because it was such a humble story. Unlike the ancient Greeks whose heroes defeated vast armies or giants, our hero was a little boy who did something bad (that he KNEW was bad!), but he at least owned it.

For me, Pete is very Washingtonian in this regard. He’s decided, fuck it, I am who I am, I can’t be less, ad I can’t be more. Let the hits come!!! If I go down, I go down as ME. That takes balls my friends. Don’t I sound silly, comparing Pete to Washington? I know it’s silly, but I do think that realness of being who you *really* are was why the apple tree story stuck. And Pete, being gay, being a gap Christian!!!! And being an open book about things like his depression might turn out to make Pete our first openly gay President. Who knows??? They said Obama couldn’t win either. A year from now, it will be a new game.

by Anonymousreply 27June 18, 2019 3:35 AM

I admire Pete for being honest. Obviously the depression was fleeting and didn't incapacitate him. He was able to bounce back and is going a great job now, as usual.

Pete for President! (catchy phrase!).

by Anonymousreply 28June 18, 2019 3:53 AM

I agree, R27. It’s refreshing to see a guy who appears as himself, warts and all. Like it or lump it. He’s right to do that, because what does he have to lose? He’s a long shot anyway. Might as well rise or fall as himself.

I read somewhere that his family had a tradition of serving in the military and it was important to him to continue the tradition. Unlike the Trump family, where they have a tradition of being narcissistic sociopaths.

by Anonymousreply 29June 18, 2019 3:53 AM

And perhaps ^ compare him to the asshole in chief who gives fuck-all about veterans.

Pete could strike a chord with some of Trump’s base if they’re ever able to look away from FOX long enough to notice other candidates.

by Anonymousreply 30June 18, 2019 4:37 AM

He just can’t stop burnishing his resume. This is just another pathetic attempt.

Why else would he need to share this?

by Anonymousreply 31June 18, 2019 6:09 AM

He's burnishing his resume by talking about depression? Do you put depression on your resume regularly?

by Anonymousreply 32June 18, 2019 6:11 AM

Depression is pretty common but he doesn't come across as genuine anyway. Nobody wants his ass warts and all. Pete Butt Howdy is not the "ideal" gay man. He's weird and he lies. Nothing noble about being in the service and he's a wimpy kind of dude in general. The worst dressed dad bod, oldest acting asexual 38 year old gay man in America. He's pandering and embarrassing. Obama tried to be the perfect black man and he was close enough to fool people. Pete is creepy to me and I'm cooler than most gays anywhere.

Regardless he hasn't a chance. A more honest gay man who was less robotic with better ideas might stand a better chance. No Democrat should want a mayor for president anyway.

by Anonymousreply 33June 18, 2019 6:22 AM

A comfortable desk job like what Pete had will do that to you.

by Anonymousreply 34June 18, 2019 6:22 AM

r33 FF the motherfucker

by Anonymousreply 35June 18, 2019 6:38 AM

^ Proof that old gays get hysterical when others use facts. ^

by Anonymousreply 36June 18, 2019 6:46 AM

What Pete is describing will strike a chord with veterans. It’s impossible to come home from war without depression or PTSD. He’s much better than the non serving Biden and Beto.

by Anonymousreply 37June 18, 2019 6:54 AM

Love him! His honesty is so refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 38June 18, 2019 7:07 AM

I have a few things to reveal about Pete Butt Howdy. It shouldn't be necessary - we'll see after the debate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 18, 2019 7:14 AM

R18, South Bend, Indiana, is hardly "dying." The University of Notre Dame is in South Bend. So long as Notre Dame remains in South Bend, the town rolls on beautifully. You don't defend your guy when you embellish. You just create an opening for others to shoot down your statement.

by Anonymousreply 40June 18, 2019 12:25 PM

R40, PETE said it was “dying” though I believe that’s my word not his. I’m quite familiar with that area, and yes, Notre Dame saved it, but the population has drastically declined and there were hundreds of empty houses, empty commercial spaces. I didn’t misrepresent shit. I’m not writing a fucking essay, I’m describing it in an abbreviated fashion, and anyone who cares to study the history of South Bend has this nifty tool called GOOGLE.

by Anonymousreply 41June 18, 2019 1:17 PM

Well chosen name, R41.

by Anonymousreply 42June 18, 2019 1:19 PM

Mayor Pete Silently protested the White House!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 18, 2019 1:21 PM

Wow

by Anonymousreply 44June 18, 2019 1:22 PM

37 thank you very much!!! r33.

by Anonymousreply 45June 18, 2019 1:33 PM

[quote] Why do you think he's embellishing? And he discusses policies all the time now. He just gave a foreign policy speech about a week ago.

Someone suggested the talk about depression and him sound more human and better to connect with other military persons. I'm saying that isn't necessary, it's added to make appoint that's already been made - ergo it's embellishing.

I'm talking about policies directly in support of service persons. That's how you show support and a shared concern for them.

Service personnel who have been deployed to combat zones just need to share that they were there - they understand that the experiences automatically and they know that there is a wide range of psychological impact from those experiences.

"I've been there. I share your experiences. I know your pain and your struggles. I'm with you and my policies will reflect that." Then he can go into what he intends to do for them and their families. The policies on their own will tell everyone he understands them and their needs. If he is pushing for more mental health services that tells them he understands it's needed. If he pushes for more job services he is telling them he gets how it's hard to readjust to civilian life. If he is pushing for home ownership assistance it says he gets how they get screwed when it comes to getting into the home ownership game. And so on.

If you have a job that calls for leadership then you have to take into account how what you say and do may impact that. People want to see a strong leader in their president. The president has to handle all kinds of psychological pressure in that role and people want to feel secure that person can handle it. Just because we have a lunatic in the White House right now does not mean the majority of people feel comforted by it. He's there because he appealed to the base instincts of enough people. Pete is not going to do that so he needs to emphasize leadership, strong leadership. Not touchy feely crap. That can come once you're in office.

Sorry but the rest of the electorate is not DL.

by Anonymousreply 46June 18, 2019 5:13 PM

Nicely stated R46. But Pete is pandering not to the vets, but the wider electorate. He likes to remind everyone of his service at every opportunity. Someone told him this offsets his gay negatives.

by Anonymousreply 47June 18, 2019 5:19 PM

r47, well it does. I'm sick of ambitious people torn apart for being strategic and wise. The man has ambitions of being president of the American electorate. A country who voted for trump. How the fuck don't you get it.

by Anonymousreply 48June 18, 2019 5:23 PM

Exactly, r47. He sounds "human" and "relatable" by "opening up" and displaying "vulnerability" while at the same time reminding us yet again that "I served in the army in Afghanistan!!!".

by Anonymousreply 49June 18, 2019 5:24 PM

[quote]How the fuck don't you get it.

I get it, I just don't want it. Take Pete's gayness out of the equation and that leaves absolutely NO reason to vote for him. GET IT?

He's a lightweight. In loafers or combat boots.

by Anonymousreply 50June 18, 2019 5:37 PM

Why on earth would those be mutually exclusive, R49?

I'm trying to think of a reason why Buttigieg shouldn't mention his background and I'm failing. If you want him to run with one hand tied behind his back, you go right ahead and advise him to do so. Me, I'm happy that he's got the background he's got, particularly when you contrast it with Cadet Bone-Spurs.

by Anonymousreply 51June 18, 2019 5:45 PM

Buttigieg is not running against Trump and he'll never get close to debating him. Pete will be a CNN commentator before 2020. And divorced soon after.

by Anonymousreply 52June 18, 2019 5:49 PM

Mayor Pete says he farts rainbows!

by Anonymousreply 53June 18, 2019 5:50 PM

r52 Thanks, Kassandra.

by Anonymousreply 54June 18, 2019 6:02 PM

Pete comes across as honest and earnest.

by Anonymousreply 55June 18, 2019 6:14 PM

R55 And real Presidential material.

by Anonymousreply 56June 18, 2019 9:22 PM

Yes!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 18, 2019 9:24 PM

r52, just because you have a string of failed relationships, you lowly whore does not mean that this will Pete's fate. I'm sick of crabs in a barrel gays. Why wouldn't we all want him ton win. You know nothing of his personal life to dictate such a bitchy response.

by Anonymousreply 58June 18, 2019 9:28 PM

Imma CUNT

by Anonymousreply 59June 18, 2019 9:47 PM

Wow, the russian trolls are sounding more americanized. maybe the new crop of trolls are just american russia sympathizers. Anyway, I would like Pete to kick their asses good.

by Anonymousreply 60June 18, 2019 11:36 PM

At least he served unlike Joe Biden. He used the excuse of having Athsma in his childhood. He’s no better than Donald Bone spurs.

Go Pete!!

by Anonymousreply 61June 19, 2019 1:31 AM

*asthma

by Anonymousreply 62June 19, 2019 1:34 AM

Republican Moderate friends in NV like Mayor Pete because of his intelligence, integrity, moral character, and yes, his military service. IMHO he's a big contrast to Romney & the Bushes.

by Anonymousreply 63June 19, 2019 2:00 AM

Yeah, Petey was kinda different- but everyone liked him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 19, 2019 2:29 AM

Las Vegas has a big Air Force base and a lot of younger voters in the military would probably appreciate a military vet as a candidate.

by Anonymousreply 65June 19, 2019 2:33 AM

R65, Agreed. There's also an undercurrent of pro-military support among those who aren't actually part of military families. Many in Vegas come from areas of the US where the armed forces are lauded. Frequent parades and events highlight the military. Casinos offer them discounts and prefer to hire ex-service people.

It's also a question of whom among all of the Democratic candidates would most likely keep us out of armed conflict unless absolutely necessary.

by Anonymousreply 66June 19, 2019 3:58 AM

I like him

by Anonymousreply 67June 19, 2019 7:04 AM

Thank you for your service Pete. Now please go away while the grown ups try to fix this mess.

by Anonymousreply 68June 20, 2019 3:00 AM

R68 Pete IS a grown up and older than his years. And certainly more qualified than the man we have in office now...…...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 20, 2019 4:31 AM

r68, and who the fuck are YOU?

by Anonymousreply 70June 20, 2019 4:46 AM

It stuns me that anyone with what I consider sanity thinks that trump is in his right mind and does not deserve a long slow tortuous exit from his so called presidency.

by Anonymousreply 71June 20, 2019 5:09 AM

and Mayor Pete comes across as very sane

by Anonymousreply 72June 20, 2019 3:02 PM

Not to everyone, R72.

by Anonymousreply 73June 20, 2019 5:51 PM

To everyone sane, R73.

by Anonymousreply 74June 20, 2019 5:53 PM

R73, not trump supporters, but they don't count and aren't going to vote for any democrat

by Anonymousreply 75June 20, 2019 6:16 PM

People forget Pete Buttigieg was polling 3rd in Nevada back in May. He reminds Latin mamas of their little gayling spawns.

"See my little cherubim ? You don't have to settle on being someone's little [italic]puta[/italic], you can be a masc top !!"

by Anonymousreply 76June 20, 2019 6:32 PM

where did that come from?

by Anonymousreply 77June 20, 2019 6:39 PM

So what? It's normal considering the circumstances, he's far from alone.

by Anonymousreply 78June 20, 2019 6:45 PM

click bate

by Anonymousreply 79June 20, 2019 9:57 PM

Not impressed at all. Another guy who’s been running for president his whole life. That’s why he served all of seven mos in the military. Not everybody is impressed by Ivy credentials. Americans are in a populist mood.

by Anonymousreply 80June 20, 2019 10:03 PM

[quote] Americans are in a populist mood.

which is disgusting, get the fuck over yourself, you fascist

[quote]That’s why he served all of seven mos in the military.

only seven? I've serviced more than that, bitch

[quote]Not everybody is impressed by Ivy credentials.

have you heard him speak ever? it's not the reds its the voice, and yours is cracked and rancid, you bitter old cunt.

by Anonymousreply 81June 20, 2019 10:05 PM

ugh, not the "CREDS"

by Anonymousreply 82June 20, 2019 10:29 PM

R60 Wow. The way he and his fan club carry on you think it was years. Pete can fuck all the way off.

by Anonymousreply 83June 21, 2019 12:42 AM

who the fuck are you?

by Anonymousreply 84June 21, 2019 1:09 AM

R80 obviously

by Anonymousreply 85June 21, 2019 1:12 AM

HE's a cunt, but so am I

by Anonymousreply 86June 21, 2019 4:16 AM

Biden and Trump are draft dodgers. I have the utmost respect for Pete and every other brave man and woman in our military. No respect for Clinton, Biden , Bush, Cheney and every other non serving a-hole that sent them into an illegal war.

by Anonymousreply 87June 21, 2019 4:19 AM

I am an American, last time I checked. I despise trump but find Mayor Pete to surpass trump in just about every category, except fatness, orangeness, stupidity, and mendacity. trump got those down damn good.

by Anonymousreply 88June 21, 2019 5:27 AM

Orange monster

by Anonymousreply 89June 21, 2019 1:27 PM

Do not compare Vietnam era men unwilling to serve in that war via the draft and men of military age serving in other eras. There IS a difference.

by Anonymousreply 90June 21, 2019 1:50 PM

He's the Eagleton of this race

by Anonymousreply 91June 21, 2019 1:52 PM

90, The difference is Trump and Joe Biden were rich white boys who used phoney excuses to send poor boys in their place. They weren’t refusing on the ground of being honorable (like Mohamed Ali), they were exercising their rich white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 92June 21, 2019 1:58 PM

So what?

by Anonymousreply 93June 21, 2019 2:03 PM

Yikes. Another centrist Democrat shows their true colors.

by Anonymousreply 94June 21, 2019 2:07 PM

I love how right wing these fanboys sound. Even his military career isn't particularly impressive.

by Anonymousreply 95June 21, 2019 6:26 PM

R88 Why wasn't he able to get elected statewide if he's so much better than the other Dems running?

by Anonymousreply 96June 21, 2019 6:28 PM

R9 no when Chase n came on his ass!

by Anonymousreply 97June 21, 2019 6:32 PM

[quote]So what?

so what? trump is a buffoon, has never served another person in his life, never volunteered or fulfilled the rigors of an office that wasn't about lining his pockets, something buttigieg hasn't done

by Anonymousreply 98June 21, 2019 7:02 PM

r96, have you ever been to Indiana?

by Anonymousreply 99June 21, 2019 7:03 PM

R98 i didn’t ask about Trump.

What I want to know is what does his depression have to do with anything?

by Anonymousreply 100June 21, 2019 7:23 PM

that he's human and not a blowhard cunt like trump

by Anonymousreply 101June 21, 2019 7:31 PM

Coming soon: Mayor Pete admits he farts rainbows!

by Anonymousreply 102June 21, 2019 7:32 PM

Because he never ran for any state office in Indiana, R96.

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 103June 21, 2019 7:36 PM

R101 and so what?

by Anonymousreply 104June 21, 2019 7:46 PM

So how does it feel to have risked your life so that rich white men could hoard even more money and oil companies destroy the environment? I'm flabbergasted at how Americans aren't embarrassed to have fought in these wars. Anyone with a bit of self-criticism would never mention with pride they were deployed to some fake war to steal someone else's resources or kill civilians. America hasn't fought a war that really was needed since WWII. You all deserve everything you get.

by Anonymousreply 105June 21, 2019 8:05 PM

^^^ Winner ^^^

by Anonymousreply 106June 21, 2019 8:39 PM

R103 He did run and lost badly. Again this guy is untested.

by Anonymousreply 107June 21, 2019 10:32 PM

R105 Its a very right wing thing to elevate anyone who serves in the millitary. Strange to hear this coming from Dems.

by Anonymousreply 108June 21, 2019 10:35 PM

R92, I'm not talking about individuals and whatever excuses they had. I'm speaking in general terms. There were many others who avoided the draft and service apart from Trump and Biden and others mentioned in this thread.

I'm simply saying don't compare the times. Maybe you had to be there.

by Anonymousreply 109June 21, 2019 11:12 PM

But he’s gay so all the right wing behavior is acceptable.

People who want to elect him simply because he is gay are intellectually lacking and sorely in need of validation.

by Anonymousreply 110June 21, 2019 11:53 PM

Good thing that you can't find anyone like that, then, isn't it, R110? Tell me, does randomly making up shit work on the other forums you frequent?

by Anonymousreply 111June 22, 2019 12:25 AM

R111 Huh? Jeez, let's hope your boy Pete can come up with better comebacks than that during the upcoming debate. Don't want you to be devastated. He should at least lose with dignity.

by Anonymousreply 112June 22, 2019 1:49 AM

Is that really the best you can do, R112? You got caught lying and this is how you respond? With a hilariously inept response that shows that you haven't been paying attention to Buttigieg?

by Anonymousreply 113June 22, 2019 3:07 AM

R113 Yeah you’re horrible at comebacks. Have no clue WTF you’re talking about. Throwing inflammatory words like lying in there makes your response about as effective as anything Trump would do.

This is painful. I’m going to engage in snark with people who know what it is. Go back to your adolescent fanboying.

by Anonymousreply 114June 22, 2019 3:15 AM

R114 Go back to Lipstick Alley where you belong. I'm sure that all the crap that comes out of you will be welcome there.

by Anonymousreply 115June 22, 2019 3:32 AM

r80, I thought it was 7 months before he went officer. That is still serving. I'm in the navy. Officers go on deployments with us and have whole lot more to be responsible for.

by Anonymousreply 116June 22, 2019 3:37 AM

I am glad he did it now. Sooner or later opposition research would probably have found out and made it a talking point Faux News would never let down. They would paint him as unstable an secretive about it.

by Anonymousreply 117June 22, 2019 3:47 AM

[quote]People who want to elect him simply because he is gay are intellectually lacking and sorely in need of validation.

How is than any different than people wanting to elect an asshole billionaire just because he is an asshole billionaire?

by Anonymousreply 118June 22, 2019 3:50 AM

He's the sissy version of me

by Anonymousreply 119June 22, 2019 3:52 AM

Sorry, endless nit-pickers, I'm supposed to care about this why? This is negative how?

Never mind. Don't tell me because I don't care and I don't see it in a negative way so fuck off and die and leave Mayor Pete to get on with actually doing things (that you DON'T do).

by Anonymousreply 120June 22, 2019 3:53 AM

[quote] The difference is Trump and Joe Biden were rich white boys who used phoney excuses to send poor boys in their place.

Biden's son served in the military and was awarded the Bronze Star you idiot. A son he raised mostly by himself I might add. What have Trumps sons ever done for this country? NOTHING! And for that matter neither have his daughters. Woman can join the military you know.

by Anonymousreply 121June 22, 2019 3:57 AM

R118 My point exactly. Your fanboying puts you at the same intellectual levels as the Trumptards.

At least you admit it.

Now if I could get that other moron in here to see that serving in Afghanistan is nothing to brag about my work would be done. Nothing admirable about risking military lives to fight ghost wars.

by Anonymousreply 122June 22, 2019 4:40 AM

R122 = Marianne Williamson

by Anonymousreply 123June 22, 2019 4:46 AM

Weird to use "admit" in the headline. It's 2019. Everyone's had depression. Everyone's on meds. Axios must have lots of provincial types on staff. Duke graduates from Missouri now living in the "big city" that is DC.

by Anonymousreply 124June 22, 2019 4:48 AM

Everyone HAS NOT had depression R124. Statistically its around 15%. It's a lot, but not most. And no, most people are not on meds. Stop justifying addiction and over prescribed medication in the US.

by Anonymousreply 125June 22, 2019 4:56 AM

R125, I'm talking about cosmopolitan types. You know, "everyone."

Not you.

by Anonymousreply 126June 22, 2019 4:59 AM

I live in a big city R125. LA, Beverly Hills, Hollywood. Trust me its not everyone or even the majority.

by Anonymousreply 127June 22, 2019 5:14 AM

r127, STFU you tedious cunt. Before i track you down, beat the shit out of you, and make you have PTSD.

by Anonymousreply 128June 22, 2019 5:26 AM

R128, What per cent have very serious, not rational anger issues and rages which they let out on total strangers on the internet?

by Anonymousreply 129June 22, 2019 6:00 AM

[quote]Have no clue WTF you’re talking about.

Oh, the irony....

[quote]Throwing inflammatory words like lying in there makes your response about as effective as anything Trump would do.

I'm sorry the truth bothers you so much. You were, in fact, lying, and rather pathetically at that, with tactics that are transparent. Equally transparent is your faux "outrage" at being called out for those tactics. You need to up your game to troll here.

by Anonymousreply 130June 22, 2019 12:50 PM

He's crazy. Can you imagine him if there was a crisis like Cuba?

No way.

by Anonymousreply 131June 22, 2019 1:16 PM

[quote]Its a very right wing thing to elevate anyone who serves in the millitary. Strange to hear this coming from Dems.

I'd agree with you except that the guy has other accomplishments, and trump none, except for lining his own pockets. why a man who had never served his country, volunteered for any organization nor fulfilled any promise that wasnt to himself alone was elected to the presidency is still mind-boggling to me. Those who argue against Buttigieg's accomplishments are counting angels on the head of a pin, ALL the candidates are better qualified and MUCH more competent that Trump.

by Anonymousreply 132June 22, 2019 4:47 PM

[quote]People who want to elect him simply because he is gay are intellectually lacking and sorely in need of validation.

you're full of shit. I want to elect him because he's smart and accomplished, he seems to learn from mistakes and listens well. You'd likely be a very poor candidate in those regards.

by Anonymousreply 133June 22, 2019 4:49 PM

[quote]He's crazy. Can you imagine him if there was a crisis like Cuba?

you're speaking of trump, right?

by Anonymousreply 134June 22, 2019 4:49 PM

What are his accomplishments exactly besides being over educated?

by Anonymousreply 135June 22, 2019 6:15 PM

Abraham Lincoln also suffered from depression yet became our greatest President.

by Anonymousreply 136June 22, 2019 6:29 PM

[quote] Abraham Lincoln also suffered from depression yet became our greatest President

I haven't been talking about whether he can be a great president. A number of these candidates may very well turn out to be a great president including Pete.

We are talking about whether he can be a good candidate and whether he can get elected. There is a difference which needs to be acknowledged and dealt with. Hence my opinion maybe Pete should have handled his bond with the military and their issues in a smarter way.

by Anonymousreply 137June 22, 2019 6:37 PM

"I want to elect him because he's smart and accomplished, he seems to learn from mistakes and listens well."

As are at least 15 other candidates who have more viability as a winning candidate.

Why is so hard for you to admit he's your choice because he's GAY? Perhaps because it will show your simpleton logic, giving in to your basest instinct to choose one of your own. And perhaps because you know that's a backward way of thinking.

by Anonymousreply 138June 22, 2019 8:23 PM

sadly, another thread goes down the toilet. I am well aware of my addiction to checking out datalounge, so I keep trying. but it ain't as easy as it used to be. I will vote for any Democrat who gets the nomination. For me, Pete is and will remain in the top tier, not that I expect him to get nominated. If ol Bernie gets the nom I will vote for him, but it is painfully similar to trump hijacking the republican nomination in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 139June 22, 2019 8:52 PM

R127, same here! OMG! Too cool.

by Anonymousreply 140June 22, 2019 8:55 PM

I love it all

by Anonymousreply 141June 23, 2019 5:56 AM

[quote]As are at least 15 other candidates who have more viability as a winning candidate.

Apparently not, given the numbers.

[quote]Why is so hard for you to admit he's your choice because he's GAY?

Probably because it isn't true. Is that really so hard for you to accept?

by Anonymousreply 142June 23, 2019 3:23 PM

I love that poster: he makes shit up about how we only like Buttigieg because he's gay and then gets mad when we refuse to buy into his silly fantasies. So we're all guilty of "simpleton logic" and "backward thinking" except that nobody has said or thought anything like that. Classic logical fallacy.

by Anonymousreply 143June 23, 2019 3:27 PM

idiots abound

by Anonymousreply 144June 23, 2019 3:39 PM

People who are only fooling themselves abound.

by Anonymousreply 145June 23, 2019 3:55 PM

People who are snooberbarrels abound

by Anonymousreply 146June 23, 2019 3:56 PM

The only people who do not abound are Buttigieg supporters. Fortunately most Americans are not enthralled with the delusion of President and First Gentlemen grandeur.

by Anonymousreply 147June 23, 2019 3:58 PM

Yes, R145, like the idiot who insists that people are only voting for Buttigied because he's gay.

by Anonymousreply 148June 23, 2019 4:46 PM

Why do people assume that someone with depression that is being managed is weak? I’d argue the opposite. You have no idea how many “powerful” people have depression. It’s a constant battle and makes you tough as nails.

by Anonymousreply 149June 23, 2019 4:58 PM

*sigh* I hate typos. Buttigieg, of course, not "Buttigied," in R148.

And yes, we get it that Buttigieg is not likely to win the nomination but not because he's gay or because of any of your "First Gentlemen" [sic] horseshit but because he's in a very competitive field and doesn't have the name recognition of some of the others. He's young and is, likely correctly, perceived as relatively inexperienced (although the counter-argument for that is that there is [italic]no[/italic] experience like that of being president, as all of the former presidents have said).

That does not take away any of his political skill at even reaching the second tier as he's done, or his ability to connect with his audiences. And if he should happen to win the Democratic nomination, the data to date demonstrate that he could, in fact, win the election. That has nothing to do with any supposed "enthrallment" or "delusion" or any of the other lame attacks you've been spewing and everything to with actually looking at the available data.

by Anonymousreply 150June 23, 2019 5:00 PM

Chasten is one lucky bitch I’ll say.

by Anonymousreply 151June 23, 2019 5:04 PM

R150 First, cite to such "data to date" please.

"There is no experience like that of being President" is supposed to substitute for actual relevant experience in a presidential election? Are you for real? Oh, and don't bother arguing Trump had no experience either. Comparing him to Trump is really not that flattering to the Mayor.

"Political skill at even reaching the second tier as he's done, or his ability to connect with his audiences" - you mean rallying the fangurls? You've got to give me more than that.

by Anonymousreply 152June 23, 2019 5:15 PM

The polls, R152. And please don't go there with the tired, and many-times debunked, idiocy about the 2016 polls.

And yes, I'm "for real." There is no correlation between "experience" and success as the U.S. President, which is why you can't cite any and will play silly games rather than acknowledge this. And, speaking of silly games, I did not compare him to Trump: you did.

As for his political skill, the fact that he came out of nowhere to be in the top half dozen of this crowded and diverse field testifies to that, your attempts to pretend otherwise notwithstanding. You don't get there by "rallying the fangurls," no matter how much you keep trying to pretend that that is all that is happening.

We get it: you don't like Buttigieg. You've said so repeatedly. But your silly games and your lying [italic]really[/italic] isn't making your case. All that you're accomplishing is making yourself look quite foolish. If that's what you intended then, hey, mission accomplished!

by Anonymousreply 153June 23, 2019 5:30 PM

"The polls" ok. If there's data of which you speak, please share it.

"There is no correlation between 'experience' and success as the U.S. President." That assertion actually undermines the Mayor even more, as if "sheer desire to do good" should be enough for a presidential candidate. Oh, and before one becomes President, he must get elected first.

Are you also going to assert that there is no correlation between "experience" and success as a Democratic party and then Presidential candidate? Again, do you think that's supposed to flatter the Mayor?

"The fact that he came out of nowhere to be in the top half dozen of this crowded and diverse field testifies to that, your attempts to pretend otherwise notwithstanding." -Top half? So being better than 50% of your peers is supposed to be impressive? -Crowded field? Exactly. Qualifications for "frontrunner" status seems pretty low this year. -Diverse field? Exactly. People voting for themselves has splintered support for a universally palatable candidate, which is what the Democrats should be doing.

"But your silly games and your lying really isn't making your case." Your silly insistence that no one should dare critique your fangurling of the Mayor sounds the same.

by Anonymousreply 154June 23, 2019 5:39 PM

His campaign slogan should be “I’m inside him”

by Anonymousreply 155June 23, 2019 5:41 PM

R155 His campaign slogan should be "Yeah I've done nothing remotely close to Presidential, but experience is overrated says my DL Fangurl."

by Anonymousreply 156June 23, 2019 5:49 PM

He was a homely teenager... Almost looked like he had Downs.

by Anonymousreply 157June 23, 2019 5:59 PM

[quote]That assertion actually undermines the Mayor even more

Only if you're a moron, which is really what you're coming across as.

[quote]as if "sheer desire to do good" should be enough for a presidential candidate.

And if that's what I had said, you might have a point. I didn't. And you don't. Care to engage with what I actually said or would you prefer to continue playing silly games?

Never mind. I already know the answer.

[quote]Oh, and before one becomes President, he must get elected first.

Since nobody here is pretending otherwise, this is just more silly games because you cannot defend the drivel you've been spewing or argue against the points others have raised. The rest of your drivel isn't even worth the trouble to respond to, as you're destroying yourself far more effectively than I ever could.

[quote]"But your silly games and your lying really isn't making your case." Your silly insistence that no one should dare critique your fangurling of the Mayor sounds the same.

Since I never said any such thing, which is why you don't, and can't, quote me, all you're doing is establishing the truth of what I wrote: your silly games and your lying really isn't making your case.

by Anonymousreply 158June 23, 2019 6:40 PM

R156, no, his slogan justifiably is, "I've done only so much, yet I'm so much more experienced than the current president!"

by Anonymousreply 159June 24, 2019 2:16 PM

R159 Again, comparing him to Trump is really not doing him any favors. Trump's the low hanging fruit, which is clearly all his fangurls can reach.

by Anonymousreply 160June 25, 2019 12:58 AM

Wow, indeed, OP. This literally changes everything. Wow. Just...

Wow.

Are you coping okay?

by Anonymousreply 161June 25, 2019 1:10 AM

FUCK off

[quote]Trump's the low hanging fruit, which is clearly all his fangurls can reach.

so, he's as smart but not as experienced as warren, better? holy fuck, you faggats are vile

by Anonymousreply 162June 25, 2019 3:33 AM

R150, Furthermore not all of those on DL actively supporting Mayor Pete are gay. He's much more methodical in considering some of the quick fixes that are getting Sanders & Warren attention but everyone knows has an extremely slim chance of coming to fruition. Yet he's not as entrenched as Biden with the old-school TPTB.

I like what he's done to improve the economics of South Bend's business district. Love to know how he'd tackle homelessness in the US.

by Anonymousreply 163June 25, 2019 4:38 AM

It’s easy to kick out and tear down poor blacks’ communities.

by Anonymousreply 164June 25, 2019 5:05 AM

It's important to remember that we not try to "destroy" candidates we don't want. We may want them in the future and we don't want to regret unnecessary and unfounded attacks. Ahem, Bernie Bros 2016.

by Anonymousreply 165June 25, 2019 5:26 AM

It's a free country, don't tell me how to think R165.

by Anonymousreply 166June 25, 2019 5:36 AM

R164, Are you saying that's what happened in South Bend? I don't know the details of the business district and redevelopment.

by Anonymousreply 167June 25, 2019 5:39 AM

I'm sorry. I can't vote for anyone who went into the military to prove he's a man.

by Anonymousreply 168June 25, 2019 6:13 AM

[quote] He's much more methodical in considering some of the quick fixes that are getting Sanders & Warren attention but everyone knows has an extremely slim chance of coming to fruition.

Yeah. Like his fix for the selection of Supreme Court Justices which is literally impossible without first amending the U.S. Constitution which means approval by both houses of Congress, the President, and the state governments of 37 states. Which he NEVER mentions.

So, yes, he is methodical, but no, that sort of deception is not a method one should support.

by Anonymousreply 169June 25, 2019 12:39 PM

R166, no, it's not a "Free" country

by Anonymousreply 170June 25, 2019 2:35 PM

R170 Man, Pete’s fangurls are losing their cools

Are you the same poster in that other thread who has also resorted to calling people “stalkers” like an adolescent in the guise of discourse.

He’d be embarrassed to have such pedestrian supporters. About the same level as Trumptards.

by Anonymousreply 171June 25, 2019 4:03 PM

no, I'm not

by Anonymousreply 172June 25, 2019 5:33 PM

Given your posts on this thread, R171, it's not the "supporters" or "fangurls" who should be embarrassed.....

by Anonymousreply 173June 25, 2019 5:54 PM

Given Pete's performance, it's absolutely his supporters and fangurls who should question their choices, which are embarrassing..

Can't wait to see how he handles the debate.

by Anonymousreply 174June 27, 2019 4:30 AM

He needs to lose some baby fat and a proper fucking. That's it. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 175June 27, 2019 5:06 AM

I’ll volunteer

by Anonymousreply 176June 27, 2019 11:54 AM

Baby fat? He doesn't have any baby fat.

His head is just shaped that way.

by Anonymousreply 177June 27, 2019 12:55 PM

Given your performance, it's absolutely you who should question your choices and your posts, which are embarrassing..

by Anonymousreply 178June 27, 2019 4:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!