Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Exit Interviews

Ever give one? I'm leaving a job in a couple weeks and going to a new one. How do you handle them? It's government, so I'm keenly aware that 'people know people'.

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2019 11:29 AM

I never burn bridges. I say all the sweet nothings about how I loved my time there and wish to return someday in a higher capacity.

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2019 1:31 PM

At my not for profit workplace, it'd be useless to give a candid one so when the time comes, mine will be neutral.

Under different leadership 7 years ago, I used to love my job.

Since then, the managers are getting away with fireable behaviours most recently because the lead director is 18 months behind on their reviews. Absolutely nothing is going to change.

The turnover is remarkable but the board doesnt notice or care. I cannot wait to leave and add to the turnover. I most likely will never work for a not for profit again. Once corrupt, incompetent people are in, they will never leave.

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2019 1:42 PM

I go in open minded, even with a lot of negative thoughts on my mind, and just follow the lead of the person asking questions, having me sign documents, etc. If I am getting a package of some sort, I ask pertinent questions, but I leave the negativity out of it unless I have had a close relationship with the H.R. person and trust them implicitly (doubtful in most occurrences), and simply wish the company well. Life has many stages, and a job is not your life. A job supports your life, and nothing is forever.

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2019 1:45 PM

I like that, R3 - a job is not your life - a job supports your life. Too true.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2019 2:58 AM

I wouldn't give one. What's the point? You're leaving. Companies never do anything with them anyway.

Even if they did, you're only making it better for someone else? That is their job, why are you doing their job for them?

If they need the information they should've gotten it while you were working for them, not when it's too late.

Stop doing other people's jobs.

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2019 4:39 AM

If we lived in a magical world where you could be completely honest in an exit interview without any negative repercussions whatsoever, what would you say on your last day?

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2019 12:33 AM

I'd shit on my manager's desk and blog about it.

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2019 12:34 AM

I never benefited from an exit interview.

I would just say nice things. It will probably mean the interview/meeting ends sooner, too.

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2019 12:53 AM

Often, companies are looking for whether there’s potential liability or legal action. The exit interview is a mask for whether the employee has uncovered issues.

I leave on good terms with most employers, but I have a hard policy now about never going back. Nothing gets better the second time around. The exit interview is a good way to give positive feedback to the employer, but also clear and non-emotional feedback that is absent personal agenda.

It’s okay to comment about systems and processes. It’s probably not a good idea to savage co-workers.

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2019 1:14 AM

I'd go with r1.

And if you can't do that, just go in and when it's your turn to talk, just glaze your eyes and say, " Raymond Shaw is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life." And then leave.

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2019 1:27 AM

I had one for a job that absolutely sucked and treated employees like crap. I just said that it had been "a real learning experience..."

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2019 2:23 AM

What R1 said.

As in many situations where we see DLers Behaving Badly, you just need to think "what do I gain by being anything but positive during this exit interview?"

HINT: It's not like the HR person giving it has any power to implement any of the great ideas you want to share with her.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2019 2:27 AM

Another reason to keep the exit interview neutral - the HR person you're dealing with may be the one you interview with at a potential employer down the road.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2019 3:19 AM

There is virtually no situation in which it makes sense to say anything real or genuine to an HR person. Certainly not an exit interview. Be neutral, if there is any severance/settlement matter to be discussed have your shit together, other than that, say nice things, and get it over with.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2019 3:37 AM

Arrive exactly on time, clad all in black and with a pair of sunglasses on that you never remove.

Giggle inappropriately and maliciously.

Keep two large ice cubes in a freezer bag in your pocket and right before leaving wrap your hand around them before shaking hands goodbye. The chilly, clammy effect will have them backing slowly away without knowing why.

Finish up with "Au revoir".

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2019 3:50 AM

Fortunately, we have a perfect example to follow in any and every exit interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2019 3:54 AM

When I left Comcast I made sure they knew it was because I couldn't support their horrific approach to customer service but that's something I tried to change (unsuccesfully) in all my years there so they were already aware of my views.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2019 3:56 AM

Hi r17, I'm David Cohen, and we've just used highly secret Moldovian technology to uncover your IP address. After what you have done to Comcast you will never work, in any capacity, ever again.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2019 4:03 AM

Hi David,

you can shove your secret technology up your ass.

Regards,

R17

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2019 4:21 AM

[quote]There is virtually no situation in which it makes sense to say anything real or genuine to an HR person.

R14 speaks the truth.

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2019 4:34 AM

Never burn your bridges unless you've just inherited $500 million dollars, a small piece of your family's multi-billion dollar fortune, earned over the course of centuries of international power and influence. And maybe not even then. You'd be surprised how often somebody at your old job knows somebody that you'll need at some point.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2019 4:59 AM

R2, fortunately, in the for-profit sector, the disposable drones in the cubes are treated very well during their 3-6 month, benefit-free, "assignments" as "contract workers". The corporate world is justly famous these days for putting employees first.

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2019 5:02 AM

I don't think an exit interview is mandatory. I would skip it, if possible.

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2019 5:42 AM

[quote]When I left Comcast I made sure they knew it was because I couldn't support their horrific approach to customer service but that's something I tried to change (unsuccesfully) in all my years there so they were already aware of my views.

I always thought it was strange that the Comcast customer service location near me had bullet proof glass. Then I had problems with one of my accounts that they aggressively refused to resolve.....and I understood perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2019 6:26 AM

ITA with all those who have said the exit interview only benefits the employer. There is no up side for the employee. When asked why you are leaving, say--- for more pay, greater advancement opportunity, less of a commute, better/more hours, etc. Keep it as benign as possible.

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2019 6:31 AM

When I left my last job with a major financial corporation, I knew I was leaving the industry for good and had no financial worries. So I told them that my immediate boss was terminally ill, going slowly crazy with bitterness because he was single, and had made my life unbearable. And not notified them of his illness. And that his boss was a walking alcoholic who started every day in the office at 7am with a large glass of Scotch. Every word was true. Never had any issues with it afterwards. But I had the advantage of not needing anything from any of them.

by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2019 11:21 AM

It's just to cover the company's ass if you ever decided to sue them.

No reason to do one but no reason not to, just don't say anything beyond the blandly neutral.

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2019 11:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!