Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Men in Black: International" and "Shaft" become yet two more summer sequels to underperform

:"Dark Phoenix" has "Cratered," too, since word of how awful it is has now been broadcast far and wide.

All of these sound like awful movies, but it's also true that in general people are sick of re-makes and sequels. Hollywood either has to start coming up with new content or it will die altogether.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2019 5:43 AM

Rocketman outsold Dark Phoenix this past weekend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2019 7:13 PM

You mean X Women and People in Black? Yes, both movies lecture the audience to be more woke.

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2019 7:23 PM

[quote] sick of re-makes and sequels

Personally I've been sick of re-makes and sequels since the mid 90s

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2019 7:25 PM

Wasn't the original Men in Black the only good one? They should have quite while they were ahead.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2019 7:26 PM

r2 Shaft flopped harder than any of those movies, and it is quite un-PC - in fact, it's a homophobic movie according to reviews.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2019 3:42 AM

Maybe people are tired of 'franchises' these days.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2019 4:50 AM

Both Child's Play and Toy Story will do huge business this weekend and no one will have learned their lesson.

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2019 9:43 AM

Chris Hemsworth Does Not Bring Butts to Seats

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2019 9:47 AM

I didn't even know there was a new Shaft movie out. The marketing for this film must have been poor.

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2019 8:46 PM

r8: it is a paradox: Hemsworth is beloved as Thor, to the point where he was considered an MVP in the last Avengers film thanks to his comic performance, but when he tries a blockbuster elsewhere, audiences stay in droves.

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2019 8:51 PM

stay away in droves.

Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2019 8:52 PM

This is the first I've heard of Men in Black: International. I did a search and learned it's the fourth one. I had no idea there was a third one. Or that it had that horrible Pitbull song in it.

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2019 8:54 PM

Late Night also flopped. Mindy Kaling and Emma Thompson (with her awful short blond hair) are box office poison.

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2019 9:49 PM

Mindy Kaling is over-rated.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2019 9:54 PM

Hollywood needs to make a genuine effort to make good movies if they want people to start dragging their asses to movie theatres in the age of Netflix and Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2019 9:58 PM

R13, I certainly agree about Emma's short, bleached hairdo - unflattering.

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2019 10:17 PM

I saw Last Night this past weekend. It's a thoroughly conventional, pleasant, undemanding comedy; I'm genuinely stunned that such a mundane film came out of Sundance and that Amazon paid $13 million for it.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2019 4:35 AM

R17, you mean "Late Night."

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2019 3:46 PM

Pleased that a homophobic movie tanked.

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2019 3:48 PM

Men In Black was a huge hit because of the comedy that was built on the "odd couple" chemistry of Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones. Nobody cares about the men in black organization (whatever it's called) or the alien plot. No wonder this sequel flopped.

Why not make a movie with new characters and a new story that highlights the strengths of Hemsworth and his female costar rather than trying to shove them into a franchise that was only successful because of Smith and Jones? Weird.

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2019 4:30 PM

This Men In Black reminds me of when they tried another Independence Day a few years ago. I'm surprised Armageddon 2 hasn't seen the light of day...yet.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2019 4:40 PM

I think Hollywood peaked in regards to wasting resources on mass appeal. Some movies would be commercial hits if they wouldn't go overboard with the costs. Wasting money on gimmicks and overpriced PR when you can reach more customers through social media than print media, for example.

But Hollywood is like an old Gentlemen's Club where the members overpay and overcharge each other to put more money from outsiders in their pockets.

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2019 4:56 PM

Samuel Jackson tanked worse than Chris Hemsworth.

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2019 7:52 PM

"Poms" was bad, too.

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2019 10:43 PM

[Quote] Wasn't the original Men in Black the only good one? They should have quite while they were ahead.

The first 2 are fun. And the third was ok but they shouldn't have bothered with this? Do they even have a catchy theme song like the other 2 did.

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2019 5:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!