Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Toenail fungus natural remedy?

I heard soaking a cotton ball in vinegar and then taping it to the affected nail for about 20 minutes a day is effective . Anybody else use this method? What are some other ways to get rid of toenail fungus?

by Anonymousreply 99August 30, 2019 4:32 AM

How about taking a goddamn bath?

by Anonymousreply 1June 15, 2019 3:41 PM

Amputation, then soak the afflicted toe in vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 2June 15, 2019 3:45 PM

U r not helping R1! Go back inside your cage!

by Anonymousreply 3June 15, 2019 3:52 PM

Home remedies or over-the-counter drugs didn't work for me. Managed to get it twice. Took Lamisil years ago but there might be a generic drug available now. I make sure my feet are dry after taking a shower and change my socks everyday.

by Anonymousreply 4June 15, 2019 3:57 PM

No. It doesn't work. The only way to get rid of it is to take an anti-fungal (for months!). Anti-fungals are not great for your liver, so go easy on the booze. Where the "natural" therapies do come is helping to stop it coming back. I think that is the biggest challenge. You can burn all your socks and were new ones every day, but the fungus tends to come back. However people do report good results with things like teatree oil, Vicks vaporub, and I don't know what when it comes to keeping it away

by Anonymousreply 5June 15, 2019 3:58 PM

Pouring a little vinegar on the affected area each day worked for me in 1997. It took 4 to 6 months and a little patience, however. I’ve continued with this method since and never had a recurrence.

by Anonymousreply 6June 15, 2019 4:02 PM

no. just get Jublia. Only thing that works. Cut your nail as close as possible, file it.

by Anonymousreply 7June 15, 2019 4:02 PM

I’ve been battling both a fingernail and toenail fungus for about a year. Taking Caprylic Acid for anti-fungal as well as getting a prescription for Naftin. Just starting putting the Naftin on twice a day and hoping like hell it helps.

by Anonymousreply 8June 15, 2019 4:06 PM

I don't know how "natural" you would categorize these, but:

Vicks vapor rub: camphor and eucalyptus oil

Listerine: menthol, thymol, and eucalyptus have antibacterial and antifungal properties.

Tea tree oil: antifungal and antiseptic abilities

by Anonymousreply 9June 15, 2019 4:07 PM

Submerge, said toe, in hydrogen peroxide for 10-15 minutes twice a day.

by Anonymousreply 10June 15, 2019 4:12 PM

My mother used to give her feet a bath once a week with anti bacterial dishwashing liquid in a large plastic basin reserved for that purpose. She'd soak her feet in the warm bath for about 15020 minutes, trim her toe nails while they were softer and pry a lot of thick white scum from under the nails. Them she'd massage them, pu tons of lotion on them, and some soft cotton socks and go to bed. No more fungus, and her feet looked great even as the rest of her became dry, shrunken and decrepit.

by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2019 4:15 PM

See a fucking doctor you moron

by Anonymousreply 12June 15, 2019 4:17 PM

I soak my toes in a weak Hydrogen peroxide/white vinegar mix.

Seems to work for me. Twice a day for a week.

Give it a try. It is sandal season.

by Anonymousreply 13June 15, 2019 4:17 PM

Dry after bathing with a hair dryer as hot as you can tolerate directly on the nail.

Expose to air/sun as much as possible.

by Anonymousreply 14June 15, 2019 4:17 PM

Caprylic acid and wild oregano oil are both strong antifungals. Small Amounts only.

by Anonymousreply 15June 15, 2019 4:18 PM

My doctor said Vicks Vapo Rub works.

by Anonymousreply 16June 15, 2019 4:20 PM

Consider Reiki and cupping.

by Anonymousreply 17June 15, 2019 4:23 PM

I had antibiotics for 6 months when I had it. Was horrible not having any alcohol for that length of time.

By all means try other remedies, but that was the only solution my podiatrist advised.

by Anonymousreply 18June 15, 2019 4:26 PM

There's a drugstore remedy called Fungi-cure that worked for my fingernail. Try it!

by Anonymousreply 19June 15, 2019 4:28 PM

If all else fails, blowtorch:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 15, 2019 4:36 PM

A generous amount of your own fecal matter will help.

by Anonymousreply 21June 15, 2019 4:52 PM

R5 is wrong. I swabbed Tea Tree essential oil onto the affected toenail nightly for a few months and that worked. As my nail grew out it did not have the thickness or discoloration. After the normal nail growth reached the top, I stopped.

by Anonymousreply 22June 15, 2019 4:52 PM

Soak it daily for about 20-30 minutes in the amber colored Listerine.

by Anonymousreply 23June 15, 2019 4:55 PM

Toe fungus is under the nail, inside the nailbed itself. Nothing you put topically on the nail is going to make any difference.

Now, what you need to do is see your doctor to have a sample of the nail cut and sent for analysis. Sometimes, what we think is a nail fungus isn't. There can be moisture trapped under the nail that causes it to grow flaky, thick and gross - but it's not fungus. So Lamasil won't work and you can avoid taking pills that have potential for liver damage.

The best case? Have the nail removed by a podiatrist. It sounds horrible, I know. But treat the nail bed so the new nail grows out healthy.

by Anonymousreply 24June 15, 2019 5:18 PM

R18 antibiotics aren't a treatment for fungal infection. In fact they make it worse by causing fungal overgrowth.

by Anonymousreply 25June 15, 2019 6:15 PM

[quote]She'd soak her feet in the warm bath for about 15020 minutes,

Christ, that’s a long soak — ten straight days!

by Anonymousreply 26June 15, 2019 6:31 PM

Consider Kinoki foot pads and a neti pot.

by Anonymousreply 27June 15, 2019 6:56 PM

I said use Jublia. I'm not saying it again. Forget all this other nonsense. I tried everything for 5 fuckin years and Jublia is the only thing that finally worked, whores!

by Anonymousreply 28June 16, 2019 2:43 AM

Toe fungus is under the nail, inside the nailbed itself. Nothing you put topically on the nail is going to make any difference.

This is true. My podiatrist just told me this last week. She said the only way to truly get rid of the fungus is to remove the whole toenail like you said. So I had that done yesterday. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be actually.

by Anonymousreply 29June 16, 2019 2:48 AM

I meant 15 - 20 minutes.Soaking your feet in anti bacterial soapy warm water once a week is a good treatment.

by Anonymousreply 30June 16, 2019 2:57 AM

Five laser treatments. Five hundred dollars. NO effect whatsoever on the goddamned toe nail fungus.

by Anonymousreply 31June 16, 2019 3:09 AM

Trim it and keep trimming it, and apply coconut oil twice a day. It’s great for athlete’s foot too, just make sure you wear socks because it’s very slippery.

by Anonymousreply 32June 16, 2019 3:14 AM

Cut the nail back as far as you can. Then take a rubber or latex glove and cut a finger off. Use the finger as a type of “condom” over the toe or finger. Pour or inject some apple cider vinegar into the toe condom ( a small travel size squirt bottle works well) This traps the vinegar and keeps it from evaporating while it is absorbed into and under the nail. It worked for me on my index finger when nothing else would. The biggest tip,is to do this daily or as often as you can.

by Anonymousreply 33June 16, 2019 3:16 AM

TEA TREE OIL

by Anonymousreply 34June 16, 2019 3:17 AM

PULEEZE.

We do this every so often. Stop with this ridiculous nonsense that topical treatments can cure a systemic infection.

If your toenails are thick and yellow or whatever - that is 99% assuredly an infection whatever the technical term is. But yes of course they will test it to be sure. They will also test your liver cause the medicine can cause liver issues.

It is considered a systemic infection and you can ONLY cure it by medicine that is carried to the site of the infection (nail bed) through your bloodstream. Which of course means your health insurance should cover the expensive medicine. At least it used to be expensive. The medicine creates a barrier between the infection and the new healthy nail growing up from the nail bed. You do not have to remove the toe nail at all. As the nail grows out you have to be careful not to cut the old infected nail too close to the quick or it may break the skin and the barrier letting the infection spread again.

It takes 6 months for your fingernails to completely grow out and 9 months for the typical toenail (big one) to grow out. The medicine stays in your blood system for 6 months so you need to take it for 3 months ensuring it is in your system for the full 9 months

I am talking about Lamisil. Do not let them talk you into "pulsing" the dosage rather than taking it every day for the three months. A doctor warned me about that - they do it to save money. I had no side effects except my feet became like baby feet within a week or maybe it was a few weeks of starting. I did have a friend who got vey itchy from it she went to the ER but she was so high string and OTT melodramatic I thought it might have just been in her mind. LOL! The Lamisil also ended all my dry heels and any other issues with feet skin so I began to think that was also an infection. I had issues with both my hands and feet - I went to the doctor because of my fingernails which occurred because of the way I was doing my manicures. The toenails had been a problem for a while and I never addressed them - I should be grateful the fingernails got infected. All my nails grew back perfectly and healthy.

Good luck but put those scam artists out of business with their quack cures.

by Anonymousreply 35June 16, 2019 3:37 AM

I had a fungus on one big toe. Everyday I would sit in the sun and zap the fungus with a concentrated beam of light from a magnifyng glass. I'd pass the light over and over, sometimes getting the light to almost burn. The fungus went away rapidly. Has not returned.

by Anonymousreply 36June 16, 2019 3:40 AM

Flamethrower

by Anonymousreply 37June 16, 2019 3:40 AM

Consider network spinal analysis and oil pulling.

by Anonymousreply 38June 16, 2019 3:49 AM

R36, LMAO!!!!

by Anonymousreply 39June 16, 2019 3:53 AM

The condition is basically genetic - you don’t have the immune ability to block the fungus - which is environmental - from taking root & growing. I have it as did my mom & her mother. I’ve done 2 courses of Lamisil over the last 20-ish years. It works, but for me the fungus comes back after a few years. It sucks but now I just trim the infected nails super short - which is easy because they are so crumbly.

by Anonymousreply 40June 16, 2019 3:53 AM

R39 I know. But I'm not joking. Worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 41June 16, 2019 3:54 AM

[40] If you don't have it now, start wiping a little Vicks vapo rub on your toe nails each day. If it's already lurking and you do have to do another course of anti-fungals like Lamisil, start with the Vicks after.

by Anonymousreply 42June 16, 2019 3:57 AM

You’ve got to take the antifungal pill for 3 months.

Nothing else works, and anyone who claims so is delusional.

by Anonymousreply 43June 16, 2019 3:57 AM

You know what they say: "Starve a cold, feed a fungus." I feed mine french fries.

by Anonymousreply 44June 16, 2019 3:58 AM

r35 and r43 don't know what they're talking about. Jublia worked and it's applied like nail polish. I tried all this other ish including Lamisil and Jublia is the only thing that worked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 16, 2019 4:09 AM

R45, a reality check is in order

[quote] What is the success rate of Jublia? The complete cure rate with efinaconazole 9jublia) treatment was 15.2 to 17.8 percent. In these studies, researchers considered 40 to 45 percent of patients as having treatment successes. They defined treatment success as an affected target toenail area of less than 10 percent.

48 weeks of treatment and the above is all you get.

[quote] What is the best treatment for toenail fungus? Oral antifungal drugs. These drugs are often the first choice because they clear the infection more quickly than do topical drugs. Options include terbinafine (Lamisil) and itraconazole (Sporanox). These drugs help a new nail grow free of infection, slowly replacing the infected part.

by Anonymousreply 46June 16, 2019 6:28 AM

If antifungal medication doesn't work on toe fungus, what makes you think vinegar will?

by Anonymousreply 47June 16, 2019 7:03 AM

Soak your toes in diluted household bleach. Maybe 1 part water to every part of household bleach, which of course is already diluted. For ten minutes at a time every evening until it's all gone. Rinse thoroughly. It worked for my dad after decades with that stuff.

Bump this thread when you're clear. I want to have the satisfaction of helping someone avoid giving even more money to big pharma. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 48June 16, 2019 7:18 AM

I'm using tee tree oil now and it's working. It just takes time.

by Anonymousreply 49June 16, 2019 7:24 AM

Heaven forbid you should go to a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 50June 16, 2019 7:47 AM

Thx, R28. Check in mail.

by Anonymousreply 51June 16, 2019 8:13 AM

Well, R47, if someone kept dousing you with vinegar, wouldn't you scram?

by Anonymousreply 52June 16, 2019 8:15 AM

I’ve had it for years and have undergone successful treatment a few times only to have it come right back. My dermatologist days that’s very normal and her husband has the same issue, so I’m just living with it. My hopes of becoming a foot model have been dashed

by Anonymousreply 53June 16, 2019 11:36 AM

Can the fungus from one person's foot rub off on another person's foot?

by Anonymousreply 54June 16, 2019 11:50 AM

r46, Jublia was the only thing that worked for me and it's kept it away for 4 years. It was cured after 3 months.

Like I said, cut the nail as low as possible, file it, apply Jublia. Cured. No more embarrassing sandles experiences at the beach.

by Anonymousreply 55June 16, 2019 4:47 PM

R55 one of the elite 17%.

by Anonymousreply 56June 16, 2019 9:29 PM

R54 - the fungus simply in the environment - some people can fight it off, some people can’t. The idea of killing it before it can take root with daily bleach soaks / Vick’s / etc may work if your nails are currently clear, I don’t know.

I do know that I have it on four toes on each foot - why both “pointer toes” have remained clear when all the others have had nail fungus for many years is a mystery to me. And I never have gotten it on any of my fingers - unlike mom & grandma. Do any Docs on the thread have an answer?

by Anonymousreply 57June 17, 2019 3:51 PM

EEEWWWW!!!

by Anonymousreply 58June 17, 2019 4:25 PM

Kill yourself OP. There is no cure

by Anonymousreply 59June 17, 2019 4:32 PM

Why do that, R59?

Does embalming fluid kill the fungus? A cremation certainly would.

But it seems... extreme.

by Anonymousreply 60June 17, 2019 4:41 PM

Pointer toe? Do you mean your BIG toe?

That's so cute.

by Anonymousreply 61June 17, 2019 6:59 PM

r59 is in hospital suffering from infections under his fat rolls.

by Anonymousreply 62June 17, 2019 7:00 PM

Jublia is rarely prescribed due to cost-it's $1000 for an 8ml bottle. There is no generic.

by Anonymousreply 63June 17, 2019 7:27 PM

Honey has strong antibiotic properties and has been used to treat toenail fungus.

by Anonymousreply 64June 18, 2019 6:23 AM

Topical antifungal. Keep your feet very clean, and if you can get away with it, no socks or closed shoes. Fungi love humidity. This is what I have used, and it works. Just be prepared for it to take a while. This also helps with the moisture issue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 18, 2019 6:28 AM

No idea why that Amazon link preview is not working, but that's where you can get it. Be patient, it doesn't work overnight, but it will eventually sort out.

by Anonymousreply 66June 18, 2019 6:32 AM

I had a dark fungus on the big toe and six months of Lamisil topical on the nail twice a day took care of it. Yes, I went to a doctor and he sent a clipping to the lab to confirm it was a fungus. Don’t go straight to oral treatments!!

by Anonymousreply 67June 18, 2019 6:36 AM

I once read something about soaking your feet in a tea solution, Lipton is fine. Maybe that was for athlete's feet?

How about urea cream? It comes in prescription strength. Urea is usually prescribed for calluses and very dry skin on the heels of the feet, but some doctors prescribe urea cream for toenails, the nails get soft and fall off.

by Anonymousreply 68June 18, 2019 6:49 AM

There's lots online about salt soaks for that. Someone rightly advised against oral treatment. That's probably really bad for your liver, etc.

by Anonymousreply 69June 18, 2019 9:06 AM

I had a toe fungus in 2012 and was told to soak a cotton ball in Clorox and tape it to the nail every night. I wrapped the toe in Saran Wrap. Took about six weeks to completely clear the fungus and it never returned.

by Anonymousreply 70June 18, 2019 10:08 AM

R61 - no the Big Toe would be the “thumb toe”thus the “pointer toe” or perhaps the “index toe” world be the toe right next to it. I’m sure it has an actual name I’m unaware of - perhaps I should have used “the piggy that stayed home.” In any event the two shut-in piggies are fungus-free.

by Anonymousreply 71June 19, 2019 2:19 AM

Jublia. It works. EXPENSIVE! I got the discount card and paid only 75 bucks. Still a lot, but beats 300 bucks.

by Anonymousreply 72June 19, 2019 3:59 AM

Jublia was first quoted at $550 or so at CVS for a very small bottle, my insurance wouldn't pay. They paid for Lamisil or some pill that made me nauseous and after I told the insurance company that they got me a bottle of Jublia for free. I didn't finish the bottle in 6 months...like I said it cured after 3 months after I tried everything else for YEARS,

by Anonymousreply 73June 19, 2019 4:23 AM

The bleach way is correct.

by Anonymousreply 74June 19, 2019 4:41 AM

Tongs.

by Anonymousreply 75June 19, 2019 4:52 AM

Bleach dried out my already dry feet. Even though I applied it carefully.. Penlac works pretty well for me.

by Anonymousreply 76June 19, 2019 5:24 AM

Listerine, the original formula, the gold color. Soak your toe for1/2 hour or so. Worked on me very quickly. Suggested by my orthopedist.

by Anonymousreply 77June 19, 2019 5:47 AM

I had it tested with laser. And it worked.

The doctor basically burns the surface under the nail. It's a bit like R36 using a magnifying glass and the sun. Only fine by a professional, with original equipment.

This way, you don't need to get the surgery for nail removal (yikes).

by Anonymousreply 78June 19, 2019 6:51 AM

Leeches

by Anonymousreply 79June 19, 2019 7:10 AM

Maggots

by Anonymousreply 80June 19, 2019 7:10 AM

Fight it with Jublia. And avoid all red carpet events.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 19, 2019 7:17 AM

Soak your feet in ANTI-FUNGALS. Duh. You might have to take ora antifungals if it’s really tenacious.

by Anonymousreply 82June 19, 2019 7:31 AM

[quote] Someone rightly advised against oral treatment. That's probably really bad for your liver, etc.

Don't spread misinformation, Dr. Bombay. That's only if you already have a damaged liver. That's why they also do a liver test before prescribing.

by Anonymousreply 83June 20, 2019 6:56 PM

I am curious to try the bleach

by Anonymousreply 84June 21, 2019 12:35 AM

You can use the same kind of anti-fungal cream for jock itch / athletes foot on your nails.

by Anonymousreply 85June 21, 2019 12:37 AM

what brand of jock itch medicine, r85?

by Anonymousreply 86June 23, 2019 10:40 AM

Yes, what brand?

by Anonymousreply 87July 7, 2019 7:17 PM

Soak feet in very warm Epson salts water twice a day for 15 to 20 minutes. Do each day till clears. Always dry feet after shower. Wear clean dry socks daily and no damp foot wear.

by Anonymousreply 88July 7, 2019 9:18 PM

R77, and in addition to that, scrubbing the toenails with Dial soap on a wet toothbrush. Not the liquid Dial, it has to be the bar.

by Anonymousreply 89July 7, 2019 9:30 PM

Ive had toenail fungus for 20 years.Twice I took meds and it cleared up,then came back a few years after. I gave up on my toes,but now Ive got it in 2 fingers and thats unacceptable ! I wear too many rings and it draws attention to them.

by Anonymousreply 90August 29, 2019 10:06 PM

use Jublia!!!!

by Anonymousreply 91August 30, 2019 1:41 AM

An axe.

by Anonymousreply 92August 30, 2019 1:50 AM

My great grandmother firmly believed in a lot of medicinal remedies that sound kooky. For toenail fungus, she recommended a big, shallow pan full of cornmeal. The person with toe fungus sits with both feet in the pan, covered in cornmeal, for one hour, twice a week. It takes about six months for the fungal infection to be eradicated. (She used to use cornmeal to treat her roses and other plants that were prone to fungi.)

I have no personal experience with this, but I remember that my big brother had nearly black toenails when he was about 14 years old. My mom made him do this religiously, for a long time, and it went away. YMMV.

by Anonymousreply 93August 30, 2019 1:53 AM

You need to get something to eat the fungus. That's called a fungivore. Here are some animals that could help you out: bonobos, colobines, gorillas, lemurs, macaques, mangabeys, marmosets and vervet monkeys. Also humans eat fungus so many you can find a trick to suck on your toes.

by Anonymousreply 94August 30, 2019 1:59 AM

Cover them with Lee press on nails.

by Anonymousreply 95August 30, 2019 2:19 AM

If you have an effective remedy, why are you still posting about toenail fungus? Do you have it recurring?

by Anonymousreply 96August 30, 2019 3:42 AM

I was recruited by a rich European woman to massage OPs fungus infested toes for 300 dollars. I was told that it would be a terrific job opportunity and lead to greater things.

by Anonymousreply 97August 30, 2019 3:51 AM

No girl, go to your doctor and get it over with. Don’t be that guy at the bathhouse. If you can’t afford insurance, get some public assistance.

by Anonymousreply 98August 30, 2019 4:16 AM

For those who cannot afford a Dr. visit, and wish to try home remedies try brown Lysol. Not only was this used in dilution for douches in the early twentieth century, but there are anecdotal cases where Lysol soaks have even cleared recalcitrant foot and leg infections in diabetics who were contemplating amputation. I have read daily Lysol soaks clear up athlete's foot as well as toenail fungus. It must be the brown concentrated disinfectant.

by Anonymousreply 99August 30, 2019 4:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!