Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let’s Discuss the movie Silver Linings Playbook (2012)

I know some of you are bound to rip this one apart, but I absolutely loved this movie. It’s so good! One of my favorites of 2012! I loved Bradley Cooper in this even, and I usually hate him!

This was one of the best performances Robert De Niro gave in YEARS. He actually acted here, something he hasn’t cared to do in some time!

J Law was wonderfully charming, cute and sassy in this one. I found her hysterical at times. I know she wasn’t the same character from the book, but she was still great.

The book and movie are different in ways, but neither better than the other in this case. The changes made for the movie worked.

Did you like it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 20, 2019 1:26 AM

Bless your heart, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1June 14, 2019 11:19 PM

J Law was wonderful in this scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 14, 2019 11:20 PM

I preferred Lawrence in the De Niro confrontation scene. It's a likable film. Better than American Hustle, but not nearly as good as The Fighter. I Heart Huckabees might be my favorite O. Russell film. Speaking of, where the fuck has he been?

by Anonymousreply 3June 14, 2019 11:28 PM

This is one of the better films of the past decade. Its a movie that makes you smile and feel good, also.

by Anonymousreply 4June 14, 2019 11:44 PM

I hated it.

by Anonymousreply 5June 15, 2019 12:24 AM

So Jude Law was in both I Heart Huckabees and Silver Linings Playbook?

by Anonymousreply 6June 15, 2019 1:59 AM

JLaw was good but they really should have gone with an older actress.

by Anonymousreply 7June 15, 2019 10:55 AM

John Ortiz's face as the henpecked husband is MASTERFUL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 15, 2019 11:00 AM

I hated it. Saw it on a plane and jist didn't see what all the fuss was about.

Maybe if I had seen when it first came out or before the Oscar buzz it would have been different but i just didn't get the hype.

by Anonymousreply 9June 15, 2019 12:00 PM

Drama is easier than comedy. The performances were good but any of a number of actors could have done this standing on their head.

by Anonymousreply 10June 15, 2019 12:06 PM

Jennifer Lawrence was excellent but entirely miscast. She still has a baby face.

Bradley Cooper was quite good.

R10, this film absolutely has comedic elements. The diner scene shows both Lawrence and Cooper can roll from comedy into high drama, which may owe more to Russell’s skill with actors. He may be an ass and abusive, but he gets great performances.

R3, I ❤️ Huckabees is also my favorite of Russell’s films, though Flirting with Disaster runs a close second.

by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2019 12:26 PM

I was surprised how good BC was in the role, I didn't know he could act. Jacki Weaver who stole every scene in the movie as a supporting character. Real Aussie acting talent!

Good movie!

by Anonymousreply 12June 15, 2019 12:44 PM

That's the one where that cunt stole an Oscar° from Emanuelle Riva.

by Anonymousreply 13June 15, 2019 12:58 PM

I've got some homemades!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 15, 2019 1:12 PM

I love Chris Tucker.

I wonder why he chose to step away from Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 15June 15, 2019 1:45 PM

[Quote] I wonder why he chose to step away from Hollywood.

I wonder why he bothered with Rush Hour 3.

by Anonymousreply 16June 15, 2019 3:03 PM

Ruined "My Cherie Amour" for me.

by Anonymousreply 17June 15, 2019 3:27 PM

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would

by Anonymousreply 18June 15, 2019 3:51 PM

R16 the Rush Hour series seems to be the only thing he’s willing to do these days. He said he would even do a fourth.

by Anonymousreply 19June 15, 2019 3:53 PM

R19 I find that funny considering how long it took to get him to do Rush Hour 3. I think i read something about Jackie not wanting to a 4th movie (and I don't blame him).

by Anonymousreply 20June 15, 2019 5:56 PM

He probably accepted Rush Hour 3 for that $20 million paycheck

by Anonymousreply 21June 15, 2019 6:46 PM

R21 probably

by Anonymousreply 22June 15, 2019 6:52 PM

Theres was an article from 2005 about how Chris Tucker made a fortune from movies by not doing movies.

He would make a movie, it would be a huge hit, and then go years without doing another one. He was so in demand but turning down every role, so much so that they started offering him big $$$ to get him to do a film. That’s when his salary became $20 million per film, and they’re willing to pay him for it.

I wonder what made him wanna do SLP. He probably got paid a few million for a small supporting role.

by Anonymousreply 23June 15, 2019 6:55 PM

JLaw did a good job with the role, but I concur with those who thought the casting was strange. Why did various directors think it was a good idea to cast her as a mid-late 30something in her early 20s?

by Anonymousreply 24June 15, 2019 6:59 PM

R24 in American Hustle she’s playing a woman in her 40s or 50s and in Joy she’s playing older also.

by Anonymousreply 25June 15, 2019 7:02 PM

[Quote] American Hustle she’s playing a woman in her 40s or 50s and in Joy she’s playing older also.

I still haven't seen American Hustle but I had no idea that's how old her character was supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 26June 15, 2019 7:07 PM

Exactly R25. It would've made more sense to cast her in more age appropriate choices like Katniss.

by Anonymousreply 27June 15, 2019 7:07 PM

Everdeen?

by Anonymousreply 28June 15, 2019 7:46 PM

OP, I'm with ya. Loved the film.

by Anonymousreply 29June 15, 2019 7:51 PM

Synthetic happy talk. Can't stand snarky perv Russell.

by Anonymousreply 30June 16, 2019 1:47 AM

An underrated and unappreciated gem.

People like to hate on it because of Miss Cooper and J Law.

by Anonymousreply 31August 20, 2019 1:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!