Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Calling fat people obese is now considered hate speech

James Corden: “This article is so cruel. The @Telegraph should apologise for printing such hate. It’s incredibly upsetting.”

Roxane Gay: “I work out six days a week. I am fat. I wear workout clothes while working out. The world continues to turn. Shut up.”

Jameela Jamil: “It’s hate speech. We can’t allow people to discuss size like this. We wouldn’t allow it about race or religion in these huge publications”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 20, 2019 1:48 AM

Obese is a medical term.

by Anonymousreply 1June 12, 2019 6:28 PM

"She is not readying herself for a run in her shiny Nike gear. She cannot run. She is, more likely, pre-diabetic and on her way to a hip replacement. What terrible cynicism is this on the part of Nike?”

LOL, The Telegraph is right though. No lies were told.

by Anonymousreply 2June 12, 2019 6:39 PM

Even fat people don’t want to see clothes like that on display. Ask me.

by Anonymousreply 3June 12, 2019 6:42 PM

Obesity is defined as a BMI between 30 and 40. It’s a medical diagnosis.

by Anonymousreply 4June 12, 2019 6:44 PM

Actually, I take back my ignorance. This could actually encourage obese people to work out. Its funny that these type of mannys are already common place in the Bible belt.

by Anonymousreply 5June 12, 2019 6:45 PM

Obese pigs can't stand the truth. Lose your fat, bitches, for humanity's sake.

by Anonymousreply 6June 12, 2019 6:52 PM

Roxane Gay works out 6 times a week??? LOL. have another donut, you angry ugly bitch.

by Anonymousreply 7June 12, 2019 6:53 PM

I meant to say are NOT common place in the bible belt. My, my typos are on overdrive this morning.

by Anonymousreply 8June 12, 2019 6:54 PM

Gotta say that this is a young person’s argument that is fundamentally about looks and self esteem. I’m now 51. Three years ago I started suffering symptoms of a crazy metabolic syndrome — always thirsty, peeing multiple times during night, complete exhaustion at end of work day, urine smelled funny, constant acid reflux, etc. I actually felt “good” about myself at my weight. Guys were into my “beefy” self. According to the fat acceptance movement I was good. Welp, the metabolic symptoms got to be too much for me. I lost 40 pounds. All my symptoms — every one of them — disappeared as I lost weight. Frankly, anyone my age KNOWS excess weight comes with adverse health and mobility consequences — knees hips etc. I do agree that the battle over obesity has been lost. The ONE consolation that those of us fighting the “bulge” have is that we will in fact not suffer the worse consequences of the western diet and immobility as we age. We will watch the obese continue to suffer from knee problems and GIRD and other health issues as we go on hikes go dancing and take fun adventures while the obese go to hospitals and sit home.

by Anonymousreply 9June 12, 2019 7:13 PM

[quote]Calling fat people obese is now considered hate speech

Ok by me. I hate fat people.

by Anonymousreply 10June 12, 2019 7:14 PM

How the hell are overweight people supposed to be able to work out in order to get more fit if there is no workout wear in their size?

by Anonymousreply 11June 12, 2019 7:31 PM

What r11 said. In my Weight Watchers group women were praising Nike for doing this.

by Anonymousreply 12June 12, 2019 7:35 PM

For all the fatties

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 12, 2019 7:45 PM

[quote] I work out six days a week. I am fat

The food industry has convinced us all that all we have to do to get thin is to exercise.

The are far more calories in every bite of food than you will ever lose for exercising an hour a day.

You MUST reduce the amount of food you eat of you want to lose weight. PERIOD.

by Anonymousreply 14June 12, 2019 8:35 PM

what r14. I'm in the navy and just came home from deployment. No fast food and processed food for 6 months. Everyone, including those who didn't work out, lost weight. There is something in American food making us fat coupled with eating & snacking too much.

by Anonymousreply 15June 12, 2019 10:02 PM

my comment was agreeing with you r14 btw.

by Anonymousreply 16June 12, 2019 10:05 PM

R14 It's a well known fact that when we Europeans move Stateside, we put on weight. Within 3 months I went from 160 to 180, and my waits from a 31 tp a 34 waist.

The portions are huge, food is cheap, sugar goes into everything.

by Anonymousreply 17June 12, 2019 10:10 PM

I'm obese and I hesitate when I need to describe myself to someone, so they can pick me out in a crowd. I've used "fat", "person of weight", and "heavy". It seems silly to avoid the most obvious attribute. Then again, I stink like shit and I don't ask people to sniff me out in a crowd.

by Anonymousreply 18June 12, 2019 10:54 PM

When you cunts talk about fat people, it IS hate speech. What else would you call it?

by Anonymousreply 19June 12, 2019 11:12 PM

[quote] Roxane Gay: “I work out six days a week."

I think you'd better go up to seven.

You could also stop eating like a pig--that would help even more.

by Anonymousreply 20June 12, 2019 11:18 PM

Exercise maven and gymrat Roxane Gay (she is the one on the left)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 12, 2019 11:22 PM

Is Roxane Gay the reincarnation of Andrea Dworkin?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 12, 2019 11:27 PM

R19, on the DL it is Fact Speech,

by Anonymousreply 23June 12, 2019 11:31 PM

There are people who are "big boned" who are not fat, but will never be thin.

by Anonymousreply 24June 12, 2019 11:32 PM

That's what I am! Big-boned!

by Anonymousreply 25June 12, 2019 11:46 PM

I have no problem with this - the first thing people should be making for fat people is exercise gear and the last thing should be tube tops. At least they got somethign right.

by Anonymousreply 26June 12, 2019 11:47 PM

Leg warmers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 12, 2019 11:49 PM

[quote]There is something in American food making us fat coupled with eating & snacking too much.

There seems to be sugar added to everything. When I went on vacation to the USA I could taste the sugar in things like bread and salad, which really shouldn't have it. It's even in stuff like peanut butter!

by Anonymousreply 28June 12, 2019 11:49 PM

eating when not hungry

by Anonymousreply 29June 12, 2019 11:50 PM

How do fat women keep their pussies clean? Their asses? 💩🍊🤭

by Anonymousreply 30June 13, 2019 12:21 AM

[quote] There seems to be sugar added to everything. When I went on vacation to the USA I could taste the sugar in things like bread and salad, which really shouldn't have it.

That's my problem! Too much salad!

by Anonymousreply 31June 13, 2019 12:23 AM

Obesity, according to Waist-to-Height Ratio:

0.5770 for women

0.6330 for men

If some don't like the medical term obese, try the sesquipedalian euphemism "substantial risk increase." I don't know people's waist-to-height ratios, but if their shapes are anything like Trump's, I'd be comfortable labeling them as obese.

The people who know they're fat are fine with the word "fat." They don't need to be reminded with it though, they see themselves every day.

I don't exercise enough, and I am not fat. Exercise alone won't make the pounds drop off though.

by Anonymousreply 32June 13, 2019 12:24 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 13, 2019 12:39 AM

"Obesity, according to Waist-to-Height Ratio" means a lot of bodybuilders are "obese" then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 13, 2019 12:43 AM

Oops. Make that “other people’s fat, ugliness, and looks.”

by Anonymousreply 35June 13, 2019 12:43 AM

R19, THE TRUTH YOU DUMB BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 36June 13, 2019 12:51 AM

r19 it's simply speech because hate speech does not exist.

by Anonymousreply 37June 13, 2019 1:04 AM

It's been that way from the early 80s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 13, 2019 4:08 AM

I just got big bones

by Anonymousreply 39June 13, 2019 4:10 AM

r34 Actually it's BMI that would make bodybuillders obese. Even those bulked up musclemen have nothing on the average girth of American men 50+.

by Anonymousreply 40June 13, 2019 4:11 AM

Roxanne Gay tells nothing but lies.

by Anonymousreply 41June 13, 2019 4:13 AM

If a grown adult was anorexic and weighed 90 pounds, people would be appalled. How is being obese any different? It's just on the opposite end of the spectrum. Both have issues with food.

by Anonymousreply 42June 13, 2019 4:16 AM

I don't believe in "healthy at any size." Some excess weight is fine, but a person as huge as Roxane Gay cannot possibly be as healthy as she would be if she dropped a few hundred pounds, no matter how much she exercises. That said, it's stupid to complain about people being fat and then criticize manufacturers for making and displaying workout clothes that fat people can wear in the pursuit of becoming less fat. And that mannequin, if it were a real person, probably wouldn't be large enough to qualify medically as obese— overweight, obviously, but probably not obese.

by Anonymousreply 43June 13, 2019 4:19 AM

I am just big boned

by Anonymousreply 44June 13, 2019 4:20 AM

I'm just fine being a sphere.

by Anonymousreply 45June 13, 2019 4:20 AM

R43 that gear is OBESE

by Anonymousreply 46June 13, 2019 4:20 AM

[quote] 'The new mannequin is obese, and she is not readying herself for a run in her shiny Nike gear. She cannot run. She is, more likely, pre-diabetic and on her way to a hip replacement.

This is just stilly. I know people the size of that mannequin who are neither pre-diabetic nor on the way to a hip replacement. Some of them are even runners.

by Anonymousreply 47June 13, 2019 4:25 AM

silly^

by Anonymousreply 48June 13, 2019 4:25 AM

[quote] [R43] that gear is OBESE

Uh, sure, other than the fact that clothes can't be obese.

by Anonymousreply 49June 13, 2019 4:26 AM

[quote]She is immense, gargantuan, vast. She heaves with fat.

She knows whereof she speaks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 13, 2019 4:36 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 13, 2019 4:39 AM

I remember reading comments on an article where Drew Barrymore was discussing her decision to lose weight and get healthy as well as pictures of her exercising and there were a lot of comments accusing her of being "fatphobic" and a bigot for deciding to lose weight. It was absolutely shocking. Some people are insane (and fat).

by Anonymousreply 52June 13, 2019 4:40 AM

I need Americans to explain to me how metabolic disorder isn't a problem, and people should enjoy their out-of-proportion bodies because apparently everyone wants to look like Agent Orange or they think cutting down on the high fructose corn syrup and denatured grain snack products would crush America's agriculture.

In other countries people have diabetes, failing kidneys, knee problems, strokes and heart attacks and meanwhile in the Land of the Free 1/3 of the population are on their way to being their own planet.

by Anonymousreply 53June 13, 2019 4:42 AM

Agreed, r52. Do as you wish with your own body, but you've got no business freaking out when other people make different choices about theirs.

by Anonymousreply 54June 13, 2019 4:43 AM

Obesity correlates with depression, anxiety, and childhood trauma. 85% of people who go for gastric bypass consultations have depression and anxiety disorders. 90% of those who actually have the surgery are on psych meds for depression and anxiety. Over 70% of people on My 600lb Life were sexually abused as children. Roxanne Gay was raped when she was about 12 years old.

by Anonymousreply 55June 13, 2019 4:51 AM

This thread is next to the Krispy Kreme thread, figures!

by Anonymousreply 56June 13, 2019 4:51 AM

You shouldn’t be cruel to someone for kicks and I agree that random commenters expressing faux “health concern” on someone’s social media don’t give half a shit about the poster’s health —-

However, that doesn’t mean we should pretend being overweight has no consequences. Instead of raging against people who eat moderately and stay fit, put that energy into raging against food makers and maybe throw in encouraging less sitting at work, get kids outside.

It’s only getting worse and it isn’t because people years ago were “secretly fat on the inside and are now proud enough to live their truth.” 30 years ago, there was usually one “fat kid” in the entire elementary school, at most, one per grade. Today, at least 1/3 of the school is overweight.

Overweight people and overly PC people should get mad, but not at people calling a spade a spade. They should rage over shit like this new “salad frosting” targeted to kids (ranch is trash and you’re better off skipping the veggies if you coat them in it). They should rage over the additives and fillers and trash in the food that promotes addiction. They should work to make sure communities have safe, grass areas for play.

There’s a lot to be mad about. A lot more than someone said it’s better for your health to lose some weight.

by Anonymousreply 57June 13, 2019 4:59 AM

Roxane Gay is so enormous, I find it hard to believe she can walk more than a city block without getting winded. She's also old enough that she surely has mega issues with her joints due to weight + age. I'd love to know what these "workouts" are.

R34

They're not healthy either, especially not the guy in the foreground who's used so much HGH, he has a beer gut from visceral fat.

by Anonymousreply 58June 13, 2019 5:00 AM

People are saying that Nike is trying to encourage fat people to get fit. It doesn't help that Miss Gold is a recovering messy drunk.

by Anonymousreply 59June 13, 2019 5:11 AM

Why are Koreans and other Asians so slim ? I didn’t encounter any fat Koreans when I was there. Honestly.

by Anonymousreply 60June 13, 2019 6:24 AM

[quote]However, that doesn’t mean we should pretend being overweight has no consequences. Instead of raging against people who eat moderately and stay fit, put that energy into raging against food makers and maybe throw in encouraging less sitting at work, get kids outside.

There are a whole lot of people on this thread who need to put their energy into something else. All the shit going on in the world and THIS is what has some of you so enraged I can see your bulging forehead veins from here? No wonder we're totally fucked in this country.

by Anonymousreply 61June 13, 2019 6:33 AM

I’ve met a lot of really fat Koreans.

by Anonymousreply 62June 13, 2019 7:14 AM

I'd like to see one of these "workouts" Roxane Gay does six days a week. That said, with so many larger sized individuals around these days, why wouldn't Nike aim some products at that market? If it encourages more activity for people struggling with their weight, that's a bonus.

by Anonymousreply 63June 13, 2019 7:26 AM

The lardtards have gathered on this thread!

by Anonymousreply 64June 13, 2019 7:33 AM

R62 In US maybe

by Anonymousreply 65June 13, 2019 7:33 AM

Do people really think that if exercise wear for fat people is available - what? It will encourage them to be fat? They are already fat. It will let them know that clothes for fat people is available? So you'd rather they go nude?

It makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 66June 13, 2019 7:41 AM

Wire the jaws for 6 months, diet of vitamins water and fruit with cheese. Daily exercise, halter around the head if necessary and led at a trot by a car.

by Anonymousreply 67June 13, 2019 9:38 AM

Anyone have the link to the OP? It’s removed since the post is crossed out. I want to know what this thread is referring to.

by Anonymousreply 68June 13, 2019 9:45 AM

It's hate speech!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 13, 2019 9:46 AM

I have the right to call them "Fat Fucks" if the word fits

by Anonymousreply 70June 13, 2019 9:55 AM

Everyone in this vile thread needs to read up on Health at Every Size. Most people of size dont actually eat more than thin people. It is simply impossible for them to lose weight. And I have seen a 345 pound woman bench press more than most men, then run a half marathon. She is a strict vegan, by the way. And she pulls more fine cock than any other woman I know. Straight men love big curvy women.

by Anonymousreply 71June 13, 2019 10:36 PM

^Look at R71's All-Purpose Fatty Troll Post.

by Anonymousreply 72June 13, 2019 11:20 PM

[quote]Do people really think that if exercise wear for fat people is available - what? It will encourage them to be fat?

I believe the concern is that it will encourage people to think that displaying and having an egregious amount of fat in public is acceptable. Propriety requires that obesity be covered with loose fitting drapery.

by Anonymousreply 73June 13, 2019 11:51 PM

What is the current trend re: FUPAs? Are they considered desirable now, more than in the past? I know stomach rolls are more accepted and embraced these days.

by Anonymousreply 74June 20, 2019 1:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!