Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Life in the Doghouse

A Netflix documentary. I cried. An elder gay couple rescues dogs.

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2019 6:42 AM

It's not coming up on US Netflix for me.

by Anonymousreply 1June 11, 2019 2:50 AM

R1 - does the link below work?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 11, 2019 2:55 AM

I watched it last week. It's wonderful and bittersweet.

by Anonymousreply 3June 11, 2019 2:58 AM

I was tearing up 10 minutes in. I’d adopt if I lived near there.

by Anonymousreply 4June 11, 2019 3:01 AM

i saw the preview.....it would emotionally pummel me tho i love the men who do this. just can't watch. woofs.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 11, 2019 3:31 AM

I had no idea that plain black dogs were the most euthanized color of dogs. :-(

by Anonymousreply 6June 11, 2019 3:40 AM

R1, thanks so much. That's really strange. I tried searching over and over, even with just 'Doghouse' and couldn't find it.

by Anonymousreply 7June 11, 2019 5:38 AM

I meant thanks, R2.

by Anonymousreply 8June 11, 2019 5:38 AM

[quote]I had no idea that plain black dogs were the most euthanized color of dogs.

It's true. Lots of theories on it, from the fact that some people find them "ugly" to the fact that their facial expressions are harder to read in online postings than dogs of lighter colors. It's strange, because I think all-black dogs are handsome, and when you see them on the street, they're all smiles and tails.

When I adopted a cat, I got an all-black one for similar reasons. Half the cats in the shelter were all black.

It's a wonderful documentary, made even more special by the fact that the guys purposely take in "unattractive" animals and those in immediate danger of euthanasia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 11, 2019 5:53 AM

Thanks, OP. Looks great. More people need to see stuff like this.

by Anonymousreply 10June 11, 2019 6:10 AM

I read somewhere that black cats are more likely to be abandoned, tortured, and / or killed for being perceived as an omen for bad luck.

Us humans can be horrible creatures sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 11June 11, 2019 6:37 AM

R11, that's indeed true. It's awful. I try to adopt black cats, to give them love and save them from those awful things.

by Anonymousreply 12June 11, 2019 6:38 AM

No hawt guys so not worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 13June 11, 2019 6:45 AM

Those two guys were pretty cute when young.

by Anonymousreply 14June 11, 2019 11:47 AM

Some shelters won't adopt out black cats near Halloween because of people killing them in stupid superstitious rituals.

by Anonymousreply 15June 11, 2019 12:39 PM

Just watched this and MARY!'d my eyes out. Someone who's rich throw money at them!

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2019 10:21 AM

my dog died a month ago, ive been heart broken, she was 15,

loved this movie so much, makes me want to help more.

sent them some $.

god bless em!!!

by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2019 1:48 PM

I provide a home for large, elderly dogs - Mastiffs mostly - who have been abandoned through no fault of their own. Nobody wants to rehome big old dogs. Usually I take on dogs aged 10+ who have a life-expectancy of 12-13 years.

Today, I will be taking one of my elderly mutts to the vet for the last time. She is in pain, not eating, and spends most of her time asleep. She needs to be helped to do almost everything, and there is nothing more I can do for her other than this last kindness. She will be the fourth dog I have lost in not much more than two years. I will be in bits for the next day or two.

And then, I imagine, there will be another addition to the pack within two weeks. You'd think I would get fed up of the constant funerals, but I get so much love and joy from the dogs I adopt, that the inevitable deaths are a small price to pay. Plus, I look good in black.

by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2019 2:24 PM

You are a good person, r18.

by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2019 11:32 PM

hey r18, rescue needs more people like you. thank you!

by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2019 11:39 PM

What a sweet story. I just donated a little money to them.

by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2019 12:37 AM

bless ye that rescue old dogs, ur angels !!!! I may start doin that.....they need love too.

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2019 3:49 PM

best movie of the year

makes me want to help homeless dogs and whores.

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2019 5:27 PM

Charity begins at home, R23

by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2019 5:37 PM

thenn go rescue ten thousand dogs like they did over 20 yrs

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2019 6:00 PM

can u loan me a million? would love to.... I do in a way, have 11 doggies that wanderd too my land, love em.' now git off ur fat ass and do a good deed. pick up stray turds u see in the lawn/street.

by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2019 1:45 PM

I watched the trailer and it broke my heart. What wonderful men! I know this is a doggeh thread, but my (little) contribution is to try to make sure the stray cats who live nearby are fed. I'm used to seeing cats wandering about my yard, and have tended to assume they belonged to one of my neighbors. But then I saw some poor, very bedraggled cat eating something it had caught, and resolved to make sure it didn't have to rely on that. I'm worried that I haven't seen it for the last few days, although I put food out every day. The other cats that stop by to eat don't seem as frightened of me as they used to be. I was hoping this one sickly looking cat would trust me enough to try to rescue it. I'm afraid I may have been too late.

My Mom always told me to pay attention to how people treat elderly people, children, and animals, and you'll know all you need to know about them. I didn't fully fall in love with my BF until he rescued his roommates cat (I've mentioned it on other threads).

by Anonymousreply 27July 25, 2019 1:45 AM

Since it seems like someone wants to shut us down, and because I think this is a good cause., I'll post this. What wonderful men. Let me thank the OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 28, 2019 3:25 AM

R18 I love Mastiffs , they are loving and loyal companions , when I retire I plan to adopt one

by Anonymousreply 29July 28, 2019 3:35 AM

I enjoyed this documentary. They are doing great work and seem like genuinely nice people,

by Anonymousreply 30July 28, 2019 3:55 AM

One of the best documentaries I've seen in ages. Bless them. I wish I had the time and money to take in even one rescue dog.

by Anonymousreply 31July 29, 2019 4:01 PM

best movie of the year. I sent them $$$$ . can u? much thx. save the most loyal sweet beings on earth....

by Anonymousreply 32July 30, 2019 1:05 AM

I'm waiting for Life in the Donghouse.

by Anonymousreply 33July 30, 2019 4:33 PM

I sent a donation to them. I won't post a link, but you can Google Danny and Ron's Rescue.

by Anonymousreply 34August 2, 2019 1:44 AM

I received a very sweet note acknowledging my donation, just the other day.

by Anonymousreply 35August 12, 2019 5:24 AM

im now sending them $ monthly, cant think of a more worthy cause. dogs brought me more joy than anyone in my life. theyr sent from the goddess !!

by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2019 5:40 AM

R18 - (in case you are still monitoring this thread)

I lost my mastiff/boxer almost two years ago. Because of health and financial issues, I've been unable to consider adopting. But my personal cloud might be passing and I've been finding myself looking thru the Rescue ads, and always for another mastiff or mastiff mix.

What city/state are you in? I'm in LA.

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2019 6:20 AM

R27: thank you, for looking out for the strays, sweetie!

by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2019 6:37 AM

[QUOTE] think all-black dogs are handsome, and when you see them on the street, they're all smiles and tails.

[QUOTE] Then I adopted a cat, I got an all-black one for similar reasons. Half the cats in the shelter were all black.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2019 6:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!