Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

British mother treats cancer with vegan food, dies.

She said: "My mum Carole, 70 dad Ron, 70 and husband have been incredibly supportive.

"My mum has been helping me with the food side of things. She has looked into recipes and things that I can eat.

"My dad is an artist and he has been selling some of his paintings to help raise money for me.

"As time has gone on, they've said things like 'Surely it's time to start conventional treatment'.

"There are some misconceptions that I am doing this because it's a vanity thing and I don't want to lose my breasts.

"But I have far more messages from other friends and even complete strangers telling me how inspiring this is and supporting me every step of the way.

"If I really believed that having the surgery would be my best chance of survival, I would have done it by now.

"I have a three-year-old girl and I want to see her grow up. This is the best option for me."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116June 19, 2019 1:53 PM

Oooh, and she makes jewelry....

Seriously, in the 80's, I think, I saw a spoken word performance thing by a man whose wife did the same thing. She had cancer and refused to treat it with 'chemicals'. He talked about how she suffered and died. But the stupid bitch had 3 little boys! I mean all under 8 or 9 years old, and she left them without a mother.

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2019 3:23 PM

Stupid Cunt Of The Year award winner is.......

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2019 3:26 PM

Darwin strikes again.

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2019 3:27 PM

Vanity is a sin!

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2019 3:28 PM

I guess god needed another insufferable scold

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2019 3:30 PM

[quote]"I have a three-year-old girl and I want to see her grow up. This is the best option for me."

I am angry at her folly for making her baby grow up motherless.

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2019 3:57 PM

All vegans have a screw loose.

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2019 4:04 PM

Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight.

by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2019 4:06 PM

She had that right.

by Anonymousreply 9June 4, 2019 4:08 PM

What an moron. My friend was diagnosed with stage IV cancer in her early 30s and is doing everything possible to stay alive as long as she can for her young son. She'd be so pissed if she read about this woman.

by Anonymousreply 10June 4, 2019 4:29 PM

Agreed, R10. I have a friend with Stage IV in her early 40's, she is enduring a lot of treatments to stay alive for her children

by Anonymousreply 11June 4, 2019 4:33 PM

...Were her parents hoping to cash in on a life insurance policy or something? Utterly bizarre they were so supportive of it. Maybe they just didn't want to fight their dying daughter, but still.

by Anonymousreply 12June 4, 2019 6:40 PM

I have a friend whose sister did this. She was a homeopath and was taking herbs and potions and what have you. She decided to go for one chemo to “shake the cancer up.” She decided she’d have more chemo but on,y when she thought she should have it, not when the dr said she should have it. She died. 42 years old.

by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2019 6:48 PM

I have to say though, no mater what she did she was going to die of cancer. Chemo could have given her more time but she didn’t want it and only took I think 2 or three told single treatments that were spaced far apart instead of doing a few at one time. At first my friend tried to talk he into following the dr treatment plan but eventually she said, “it’s her life. She’s an adult and she’d rather die than be sick.”

Ok. That’s a choice,

She did it on her terms

by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2019 6:53 PM

While veganism can be a good prevention for many diseases, it can't make up for a life of eating shit.

Once you have cancer, definitely go vegan, but also definitely use medicine.

by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2019 6:58 PM

I bet her freshly dead colon was squeaky clean.

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2019 7:00 PM

Woman had chemo for cancer, and died.

by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2019 7:01 PM

I was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer (the cancer had spread to my liver) in 2010, had two surgeries & 6 months of chemotherapy , no recurrence. Of course, more than likely, the cancer will return, but, traditional medical treatment has given me 9 cancer-free years of life.

by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2019 7:11 PM

Some of you might want to look into this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2019 1:06 AM

I have, r19. Coffee enemas a-go-go and woo woo snake oil every which way.

The case of Jess Ainscough was a big story in Australia. She contracted epithelioid sarcoma of the arm, the treatment for which involves amputation from the shoulder. The self-appointed Wellness Warrior claimed to be "cured" of her cancer by green juicing and coffee enemas whilst making income monetising her blog. Suffice to say she was lying the entire time and sadly died a painful death complete with fused fingers and rotting tumors.

An anti-science-illiteracy blogger Orac followed her story, as did snark site Get Off My Internets. I have linked to Orac's more serious write-up, but here is a summary of her case from GOMI:

[quote]Nutshell, fash mag party girl journo got bad arm cancer young, prognosis not good, did juicing and coffee enemas instead of having amputation (which would only have prolonged her life, sounds like this cancer is incurable), blogged about coffee enemas and organic juices (and all kinds of other junk), using PR/journo skills to make increasing amounts money off blog, plus selling something called 'marie forleos b school' to her followers (or 'how I made a bunch of money off you and how you can make a bunch of money off other gullibles'); meantime mother got cancer, did the same diet regimen (Gerson Therapy apparently), died late last year (without painkillers it sounds like); daughter implied to followers on her blog and in the media that her own cancer was 'healed' (which she now says is different from 'cured' or 'treated'), said recently on facebook her arm looked bad because of lymphodema (a while back she said it looked bad because of chemo), now today said 'I never said I no longer have cancer, I still have cancer, I just need to dissolve it by letting me tell it its message to me' (duh, could it be 'I want to kill you dead'?) or something like that. Oncologists and onco nurse commentators say no way are the black marks lymphodema, they are funginating tumours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2019 1:33 AM

Cancer salad will not cure you, stupid bitch!

by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2019 1:40 AM

Depressing.

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2019 4:22 AM

"Utterly bizarre they [her parents] were so supportive of it."

I don't think they were as supportive as you think, even the article says the parents were asking her if it wasn't time to start conventional treatment. They were probably supportive of the vegan diet, I mean it can't do any harm and there's a chance it might help, but if they were asking her to start conventional treatment then they weren't actually supportive of using diet as the *only* treatment.

What sane person would be supportive of diet as the only treatment! People who pull this shit are motivated by a need for control over their bodies, they think they can control everything about the body by controlling what they "... put in my body", to use their favorite phrase. Letting the doctor give them chemotherapy would be letting someone else put something in the body, it'd feel like a violation, a loss of control. So fine, whatever, it's your body, if you'd rather die than let someone else put life-saving medication in you then go ahead, die! Be prepared for your kids to hate you forever for choosing to die.

by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2019 4:34 AM

It's a Quality of Life choice

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2019 4:39 AM

I have an acquaintance who is doing something very similar. Not vegan, but she refuses to consider any conventional treatment, thinks every quack remedy and snake-oil salesman on the internet is the answer. Stage 4 breast cancer, tentatively diagnosed last summer (still not sure exactly because she wouldn't even let them do a biopsy), it's now progressed to her lymph nodes and (they think) her lungs. She refuses to do chemo because it's poison. Her latest fad is "oxygen cures cancer".

I figure she'll be dead before Alex Trebek.

I just don't get the mentality.

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2019 4:51 AM

i know someone who says this kind of shit; that is, food, snake oil pills and exercise that they provide for a fee can cure everything, including cancer. When they got cancer, they got chemo and went with medical care.

These people are criminals. At least, this nutter did this to herself.

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2019 5:16 AM

when you receive medical advice from complete strangers, you die.

by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2019 5:19 AM

People like that mother are clueless nutjobs living in the past. If you get cancer, your choice is not the "red pill" or the "blue pill" today, most modern medicine recognizes the benefit if a milt-tired approach including chemo, diet, spiritual, emotional and psychological methods as an arsenal to eradicate cancer. Most cancer doctors and places that specialize in the curing of cancer in the U.S. encourage you not to just rely on modern medicine.

A friend of mine past away a few years ago at the age of 52. She was like the OP's post, thought vaccines were dangerous because they had raw eggs, and Apple Cider Vinegar would cure everything. By the time she got chemo, it was too late, they told her she only had weeks to live and they were right. I saw her dye in front of me and because her husband was such a mess at that point screaming at that moment I ended up having to be the one to close her eyes. I was not prepared for that.

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2019 5:21 AM

^^I saw her die^^

by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2019 5:22 AM

Yes she is an idiot, but it's still incredibly sad, especially for her surviving family.

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2019 5:31 AM

I am actually glad she did this to herself and not someone else, especially her children.

by Anonymousreply 31June 5, 2019 5:41 AM

Try some homeopathy - how about Extract of Dumbass. (Don't worry, it's just water)

by Anonymousreply 32June 5, 2019 5:45 AM

There are a lot of stupid people who believe what they want to believe. My boss once yelled at me because my mother had terminal cancer and "don't you know it can be cured with megadoses of Vitamin C?!"

If there's anything I've learned in life it's that you can't change their minds. Best to spend your energy working to mitigate their damage than trying to make them see the truth.

by Anonymousreply 33June 5, 2019 5:45 AM

I beg to differ R33. Nutjob thinking like that woman really does need to be exposed. Modern medicine and science still cant save everyone, but your chances of survival are 100 times greater than self prescribed DIY supplements and protein shakes.

by Anonymousreply 34June 5, 2019 5:50 AM

Who the fuck told this women that a vegan diet can cure breast cancer? Anyone can eat vegan food that is fine. Let's be clear though, it is not a medical treatment. This is the problem: was this women lied to and by who?

Nutjobs are not medical doctors. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

by Anonymousreply 35June 5, 2019 5:56 AM

They read it on the Internet, r35. In black and white. In WRITING!! So it HAS to be true!

by Anonymousreply 36June 5, 2019 6:04 AM

HEY NHS,

hurry up and vaccinate that child.

by Anonymousreply 37June 5, 2019 6:08 AM

I know a woman who did this. She decided she could beat cancer with healthy food, yoga & wellness retreats. She had a go fund me for these wellness retreats. I refused to contribute to her killing herself. She finally accepted chemotherapy when it was too late & left behind a 4 year old daughter.

by Anonymousreply 38June 5, 2019 6:17 AM

[quote] This is the problem: was this women lied to and by who?

That's placing the blame on the wrong people. The world is full of disinformation. It's your job as a sentient adult to sift through the noise and propaganda for the truth and the facts.

The woman was clearly a nutjob and most of the ones I know cant be bothered to actually weigh the facts or dig into a concept. One Frau I know in particular loves to spit out bullshit medical cure theories but if you challenge her, suddenly she can't hear you out because she "dissociates" according to her "life coach".

by Anonymousreply 39June 5, 2019 6:18 AM

[quote] I was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer (the cancer had spread to my liver) in 2010, had two surgeries & 6 months of chemotherapy , no recurrence. Of course, more than likely, the cancer will return, but, traditional medical treatment has given me 9 cancer-free years of life.

I have been in (conventional) treatment for Stage 4 colon cancer since July 2018 and first of all, I am glad to hear your story; secondly, through an online colon cancer patients' group I'm in, I have "met" dozens of parents in their 30s and 40s who are trying their best to stay alive for their kids and would be so pissed to hear about this idiot.

by Anonymousreply 40June 5, 2019 6:19 AM

[quote]i know someone who says this kind of shit; that is, food, snake oil pills and exercise that they provide for a fee can cure everything, including cancer.

I often wonder if this has something to do with the Will To Power ethos in American/capitalist culture and the Puritan streak woven into in. The woman mentioned upthread Jess Ainscough may have been Australian but believes she got her cancer at 22 because she partied to hard. We may joke about fat people here on DL, but among people like her she would believe not looking and feeling 100% is not only socially unacceptable but a moral failure. You’re poor? Hustle! You feel sick? Go on a wellness regime. You hate your looks? Go vegan, hit the gym and watch cosmetics videos on YouTube. It’s a punishment if they don’t work hard - no matter that they tools they are working hard with are fraudulent. No coincidence she went on to hawk the same snake oil “wellness” regimes.

They also believe that education doesn’t matter has much as hard work and following rules. They are anti science because they don’t know what science is - study of natural phenomena via rigorous testing. That’s all science is.

by Anonymousreply 41June 5, 2019 6:23 AM

I’m fine with this.

by Anonymousreply 42June 5, 2019 6:23 AM

R18 and r40 - big love to you both. Treat yourself a kindly.

by Anonymousreply 43June 5, 2019 6:26 AM

Ann Cameron says you can cure cancer with carrots. My cousin agrees with her.

[Quote]I was feeling great, and I knew that if I took chemo, I'd quickly become quite sick. My immune function would drop, I'd be nauseated, lose my hair, have diarrhea, and most likely inflamed hands and feet that could become excruciatingly tender and painful. I was worried about pain in my fingers most of all, since as an author I always typed my books, and I didn't know if I could adjust to writing any other way. I decided that I would refuse the chemo.

[Quote]Unlike chemotherapy, carrot juice wouldn't damage my body. I had nothing to lose by trying it. I immediately bought a juicer and began drinking five cups of fresh carrot juice daily. Seven weeks later, a new CT scan showed that the cancer had stopped growing and had shrunk. Seven weeks more, and a new CT scan showed that my lungs were normal -- no cancer. I continued drinking carrot juice four more months, probably more than necessary. When a new CT showed no cancer, I stopped drinking the carrot juice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 5, 2019 6:27 AM

[quote] I was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer (the cancer had spread to my liver) in 2010, had two surgeries & 6 months of chemotherapy

My friend's sister, who was the homeopath, was Stage IV, large liver mass and inoperable when she was diagnosed. I asked my friend if the liver mass might be resectsable if chemo could reduce the size of the liver mass and she said no (she's an NP so she looked up all research & took her sister to the excellent university hospital we used to work at). Her sister's gene expression profile was not susceptible to chemo.

It's just the luck of the draw, you know? This girl was the most "all natural" person I ever met. Never smoked or drank, hiked, mountain climbed and worked on an organic farm after college graduation, which drove her parents s little crazy.

You just never know, but at least with gene testing people with cancer can say "It's wasn't my behavior, it was my destiny." :'(

by Anonymousreply 45June 5, 2019 6:38 AM

r44 There is (another) Australian woman called Belle Gibson who cured her cancer through juicing.

Only she was a conwoman, her name wasn't Belle Gibson and she was unmasked by science bloggers as not having cancer and scamming a lot of people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 5, 2019 6:41 AM

My sister-in-law is literally someone who would do something like this. She grew up in a hippie haven in northern California and refuses to take any medicine of any sort. She'll take herbs--that's it. She is also a vegan but conversely eats nothing but carbohydrates and non-nutritious food. It makes no sense to me. I grew up in Portland, OR around hippie culture and have a slightly earthy side myself (I've been a vegetarian most of my life, prefer using natural products, etc.), but I've suffered significant health problems in my short lifespan (I'm 28)—including cancer—and am not ignorant enough to deny that modern medicine is the only reason I am still alive.

by Anonymousreply 47June 5, 2019 6:49 AM

Back in the 80's and 90's when AIDS first came out to the mainstream public, one of the magic cures involved fruit called Bitter Melon that had to be pureed into a juice and shoved up your ass. Not kidding.

Then there was the giant dinner plate sized "magic mushroom" that you were supposed to grow in the home. Forgot what it was called but supposed to cure everything from HIV to Cancer. Of course, once they did some research on it, turned out to be poisonous.

by Anonymousreply 48June 5, 2019 6:51 AM

"...not looking and feeling 100% is not only socially unacceptable but a moral failure."

Yeah, well that describes a lot of the assholes on the Datalounge, the one who'll react to any horrific tragedy by blaming the victim for being fat/young/stupid/female, whatever. They are incapable of sympathy, and of believing that random tragedy can strike anyone, including themselves.

They are currently infesting the thread about the 17-year-old Dutch girl who was euthanized, after a series of assaults ruined her mental and physical health. They are turning themselves inside out to find reasons to say the girl doesn't deserve any sympathy or pity, it's a sad spectacle, that gets repeated every time there's a tragedy. School children shot up by a psycho? No sympathy from them! It's the parents' or teachers' fault and children are annoying anyway!

by Anonymousreply 49June 5, 2019 6:58 AM

To be fair, fat, young, stupid females have a lot to answer for.

by Anonymousreply 50June 5, 2019 7:00 AM

The daughter will probably be better off without her.

by Anonymousreply 51June 5, 2019 7:03 AM

It's a teaching moment, your mother was a nutjob. Stick to science.

by Anonymousreply 52June 5, 2019 7:08 AM

Rightsizing the population.

by Anonymousreply 53June 5, 2019 7:10 AM

Her husband calls her brave but she really never fought cancer, so how is that brace?

by Anonymousreply 54June 5, 2019 7:15 AM

Perhaps she is French?

by Anonymousreply 55June 5, 2019 7:16 AM

No, she won't, R51.

by Anonymousreply 56June 5, 2019 7:35 AM

There's no excuse for this kind of ignorance in the 21st century. It's terrible to do this to her daughter.

by Anonymousreply 57June 5, 2019 7:42 AM

If only she had eaten ONE MORE carrot

🥕

by Anonymousreply 58June 5, 2019 8:04 AM

R58 = Instacart

by Anonymousreply 59June 5, 2019 8:11 AM

Can someone explain to me why this is not a crime?

by Anonymousreply 60June 5, 2019 8:27 AM

She's an adult, R60, legally free to refuse medical care if she wants to.

Now if she'd withheld chemo from a minor and insisted that a vegan diet would cure them, THAT would be crime. It'd be murder if the child died of the disease.

by Anonymousreply 61June 5, 2019 8:40 AM

She did not refuse medical care. She is claiming that vegan food is a legitimate medical treatment, and even a cure, for breast cancer. None of this is true.

by Anonymousreply 62June 5, 2019 8:52 AM

Better eat a burger bitches

by Anonymousreply 63June 5, 2019 8:59 AM

R40, I know things are dreadful now, but, you will get through this. You'll be just like me, cancer/cancer treatment will be like having a bad dream that you shake off in the morning.

R43, thank you, sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 64June 5, 2019 9:03 AM

Whoops, forgot to add, I'm R18.

by Anonymousreply 65June 5, 2019 9:06 AM

I know a guy - he was one of the cutest lads around when he hit the scene in his late teens/early twenties. Meltingly good looking. Loved being fucked by older daddy types & subbing. Was very popular - and seroconverted before his 22st birthday.

He felt very guilty abd ashamed about it. Back when it happened they didn't start you anti retrovirals till the disease had progressed a bit and your t-cells started to get lower. So after several years this happened - and he started treatement.

It didn't go smoothly. He had various side effects and they changed his pill regime. More - and worse - side effects. This happened a few times - they couldn't quite get the mix right - and he decided after a couple of years of feeling sick all the time / that he'd had enough.

He was always a bit of hippy - and embraced natural therapies with a passion. And he was young and otherwise healthy - and the couple of years of treatment had got his t-cells up again! - and for quite a while he thrived.

He was determined he'd beat it naturally - and that the drugs were worse than the disease.

And then he started to go downhill.

He died at home. His partner looked after him with the help of family and friends. Even a couple of weeks before he died - his doctors said that if he started treatment with anti retriviraks - he could probably turn it around. But he was intractablle.

He was not taking that poison. And he died. He was 37 or 38. Really lovely guy. Miss him still. Such a waste of a life to leave so early. But it was his choice I guess. No one could force him to take the damned pills.

by Anonymousreply 66June 5, 2019 9:59 AM

I didn't say the idiocy of these fake cures shouldn't be exposed, r34.

by Anonymousreply 67June 5, 2019 10:15 AM

Wayne Dyer had Cancer and did not get treatment because he thought he could law of attraction/think his way out of it. He died.

by Anonymousreply 68June 5, 2019 10:25 AM

[quote]he thought he could law of attraction/think his way out of it

They all think that r68. It's American exceptionalism writ large.

by Anonymousreply 69June 5, 2019 11:12 AM

[quote]Unlike chemotherapy, carrot juice wouldn't damage my body. I had nothing to lose by trying it.

Except, you know, your LIFE?

by Anonymousreply 70June 5, 2019 11:21 AM

OP what's your point? She had cancer - she would have died either way. Chemo would have added on 2 more torturous years?

by Anonymousreply 71June 5, 2019 11:23 AM

She’s entitled to try what she wants with her own life.

I’m ready to be shot full of arrows here, but I have known several people who went through chemo and radiation for years, and who were put through agony with the side effects, went into a short remission and then died. My uncle did it just so that he could be around for his granddaughter. Eighteen months or so of radiation prevented him from being anywhere near her. And then he went into remission. And then his prostate cancer was back, along with lung and thyroid cancer, and he died. But only after his entire savings was drained paying for the treatment that failed, and my aunt had to sell the house while mourning her husband’s death. He felt totally fine when diagnosed, and the cancer treatment tormented him and ultimately drained his bank accounts and only barely prolonged his life...for long enough to finish treatment.

I am not against standard cancer treatments but at this point I certainly do not blame people who forgo them and try alternatives. Not after what I have seen people go through.

by Anonymousreply 72June 5, 2019 11:40 AM

If my prognosis wasn’t good I might skip conventional treatment and before it gets really bad just commit suicide.

by Anonymousreply 73June 5, 2019 11:45 AM

R73 Why suicide? Why not just accept the time you have left, make the best of it, and let the cancer do the work?

It sounds crazy, but the pain and suffering of dying from cancer for most people wouldn’t be worse than the pain and suffering caused by chemotherapy. Especially when you factor in the use of palliative care.

It’s funny in a certain sick way that people have such an extraordinary fear of cancer, assuming it’ll be hell on earth, and as an alternative they choose one of the most hellacious experiences possible to treat it. And then often die from cancer anyway.

by Anonymousreply 74June 5, 2019 11:50 AM

Tell me how drinking carrot juice and taking coffee enemas ease the pain of cancer as tumors fungate.

by Anonymousreply 75June 5, 2019 12:38 PM

R75 You tell me: if/when you’re diagnosed with any illness, don’t you as a reflex try to be as healthful as possible in the short term, avoiding things that you know contribute to a less-well state of being and eating more healthful foods and (likely) taking more vitamins, etc.? Most of us are more reactive than we are preventative. Given today’s common knowledge—right or wrong—most people add more vitamins and healthful foods to their routines when they are told their health is subpar. It’s what doctors always advise. it seems to me a natural reaction when told a person has a life-threatening illness such as cancer to up the intake of vitamins, veggies, etc. It may not be wise but I bet it’s more common than not.

by Anonymousreply 76June 5, 2019 12:53 PM

Once you have children, you don't get to just think about yourself and what you want--not until your kids are in their 20s and old enough to look after themselves. This woman was ignorant and selfish, and I only hope her husband can be the parent she wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 77June 5, 2019 1:20 PM

If you cannot tell the difference between treatment options for a grandfather with advanced cancer and a 30-something mother of a baby with treatable cancer you are legitimately stupid.

The woman in the OP article upon diagnosis had stage 2 breast cancer. At that point, she's not dying , so palliative care is not an option at that point. Ain't nobody going to give her morphine so she can spend the rest of her year . Pretending that a treatment consisting of drinking carrot juice is doing to "cleanse" her body of her illness is a fantasy. Carrot juice will not manage pain. Carrot juice will not remove damaged tissue. Carrot juice will not prevent cancer from metastasizing. It's not going to do anything but give her pleasure if she enjoys drinking carrot juice. It is irresponsible to pretend otherwise. All it will do is what it did for this woman, which was NOTHING as she marched along to death. This is what you are promoting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 5, 2019 1:24 PM

My grandmother did everything these so-called “conventional” doctors told her to do, and she still fucking died. Allopathy is quackery. Allopathy thinks expensive poison pills are the cure for everything. Allopathy thinks Suzanne Somers is a quack despite not being dead yet but can’t account for all the people who died despite listening to their doctor’s advice.

by Anonymousreply 79June 5, 2019 1:28 PM

The carbs are contributing to the cancer and making it worse.

by Anonymousreply 80June 5, 2019 1:30 PM

What a specious argument, R79. The fact that some people die of cancer after conventional treatment doesn't mean that conventional treatment doesn't work, as the millions of cancer survivors shows. ALL people with cancer who drink carrot juice and do yoga and nothing else will die.

by Anonymousreply 81June 5, 2019 1:31 PM

R71, the woman in this article had easily treatable stage II cancer. I can respect when people with stage IV decide not to get treatment, especially if they're older or don't have dependents. Their disease is not curable, and treatment just prolongs the inevitable. But a high percentage of people with stage II cancer recover. Let's hope this woman's daughter learns about the power of modern medicine.

by Anonymousreply 82June 5, 2019 1:34 PM

r78 - so true. I had a good friend, vegan, who thought carrots and homeopathic remedies were going to cure her. They didn't. She got desperate and had surgery and chemo when it was too late. I have a coworker dealing with cancer who is doing the same thing. It kills me because I know how it will end. She's more the Jesus-y type, thinking western medicine is a tool of the devil. I can't understand that - I don't know why she and her fellow churchies don't think that maybe their god gave man science so he could cure himself? But no, listening to some quack who tells you to eat grapes and drink pure lemon juice for two weeks is somehow going to flush out the cancer.

by Anonymousreply 83June 5, 2019 1:36 PM

I went to school with a girl with fundamentalist Christian parents. The girl desperately needed glasses, but her parents kept praying for God to 'heal her eyes.' Even as a kid, I remember thinking what horseshit that was. GET HER THE FUCKING GLASSES YOU CHEAP FUCKS.

by Anonymousreply 84June 5, 2019 1:43 PM

r79 Sweetie, no one - NO ONE - here is suggesting anyone eats pizza and Mountain Dew 3 times a day accompanied by 7 hours of video games to accompany their radiation and chemo regimes, so put the straw man down. Unfortunately even if your granny had eschewed doctors and followed the Gerson protocol of shoving coffee up her ass 5 times a day and preparing and drinking 13 green juices, she still would not have been cured of cancer. The idea that if a cancer suffer rejects medial treatment in favour of homeopathy and meditation and the Brain Dust sold on goop.com they will drift off to a painfree, albeit early, death in which they are in control of their bodies is a big fucking lie.

You don't seem to understand what science and medical care is. Medical treatment is based on testing and the results of methodology. That's all it is. There is a reason and basis for treatments which is not the case in woo woo.

by Anonymousreply 85June 5, 2019 1:55 PM

[quote] OP what's your point? She had cancer - she would have died either way.

Her cancer was only Stage 2. She almost certainly would have gone into remission if she'd done the surgery and chemo her doctors recommended.

by Anonymousreply 86June 5, 2019 2:05 PM

r43 and r64, thank you for your kind words

by Anonymousreply 87June 5, 2019 2:07 PM

[quote] It’s funny in a certain sick way that people have such an extraordinary fear of cancer, assuming it’ll be hell on earth, and as an alternative they choose one of the most hellacious experiences possible to treat it.

People think cancer will be hell on earth partly BECAUSE of the hellaciousness of chemo (which certainly isn't pleasant, but actually isn't THAT hellacious). If you come to a point when it's clear that your cancer isn't curable, then yes, it's time to evaluate whether continuing to treat it with anything other than palliative measures is worth it. But deciding to skip chemo altogether because you might die anyway is completely stupid when so many people do not die anyway.

by Anonymousreply 88June 5, 2019 2:13 PM

[quote] Allopathy is quackery.

I once dated someone who shared your idiotic belief that all allopathic doctors must be quacks because they can't cure EVERY patient. Meanwhile, she believed that high colonics, colloidal silver, and anything else a homeopathic "doctor" recommended was well worth trying despite a complete lack of evidence that these treatments have ever cured ANYONE. It was utterly illogical.

by Anonymousreply 89June 5, 2019 2:18 PM

If you check out the r/vegan subreddit, you'll that a significant number of posters there believe that a vegan diet cures all sorts of ills. Links to stories about people who survived cancer after going vegan (even though there's no evidence whatsoever that their diet had anything to do with their survival), posts claiming that food is medicine (it absolutely is not)... Even in threads about the ethics of using medication that contains animal products, you'll see posts about how "if you go vegan, you won't have to worry about that sort of thing, because you won't get sick". There are other vegans who point out that this isn't true, though.

by Anonymousreply 90June 5, 2019 2:24 PM

If she had simply avoided listening to the noise of windmills, she never would have gotten cancer in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 91June 5, 2019 2:44 PM

A vegan diet would have helped prevent cancer but since she already had it...kind of too late at that point

by Anonymousreply 92June 5, 2019 3:46 PM

In a professional capacity, I've told people that while a wellness-based lifestyle and stellar diet may keep you out of the hospital, it won't cure anything that will put you in the hospital.

But the New Age types all tell each other that "pharmacology is poison" and that a vegan diet is the cure for anything from a broken hip to an unhappy marriage, and like any echo-chamber group they convince each other than their silliest ideas are true. I really think there's a similarity to Anorectics with some of them, their diet is the one thing in their life that gives them a feeling of control, and they want to believe that their diet is the most important thing in the world and gives them complete control over their body and illness. Which is crazy, but which doesn't meet any legal definition of crazy, so there's nothing to be done. If they want to throw their lives away rather than take medications, it's their life to throw.

by Anonymousreply 93June 5, 2019 6:16 PM

Hugs to our DL cancer fighters.

by Anonymousreply 94June 6, 2019 2:26 PM

[quote]My grandmother did everything these so-called “conventional” doctors told her to do, and she still fucking died.

Because she was your GRAND mother, not a 30 something woman. Old people die, its just a fact of life. How naive are you to blame the treatment method.

by Anonymousreply 95June 6, 2019 9:57 PM

R79 is being a quack. Just because your mother died after conventional treatments doesn't mean conventional treatments don't have the highest success rate overall. There will always, unfortunately, be exceptions, but that does not discount the hard facts. I knew a woman who was diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer—totally treatable, hadn't metastasized. However, didn't want to use conventional medicine or surgery, so instead she spent almost two years doing insane things like coffee enemas to "treat" the cancer. Long story short, after those two years were up, the cancer had riddled her body and was literally bursting out of her breast. She died shortly after. The point being, there is far more evidence supporting conventional methods (i.e. chemo, radiation, surgery) than there is supporting alternative therapies. I myself am a cancer survivor and am only alive because of radioactive therapy and the internal medicine team who helped treat me.

by Anonymousreply 96June 6, 2019 10:06 PM

^^ grandmother, not mother--sorry

by Anonymousreply 97June 6, 2019 10:07 PM

[quote]Allopathy is quackery. Allopathy thinks expensive poison pills are the cure for everything. Allopathy thinks Suzanne Somers is a quack despite not being dead yet but can’t account for all the people who died despite listening to their doctor’s advice.

Allopanty is a term which refers to science-based, modern medicine, by definition it cant be quackery R79. Suszanne Sommer is the real quack, she has always been Hollywood's blond bimbo and you actually have the stupidly to reference her for cancer cure?

one of these doctors who are “curing cancer” is a quack whose “protocol,” which includes [bold]150 supplement pills per day topped off by a couple of coffee enemas per day,[/bold] was recently shown to be worse than useless for pancreatic cancer and, indeed, based on a recent study, far worse than conventional treatment.

by Anonymousreply 98June 6, 2019 10:11 PM

The Jehovah Witness own this thread. They will refuse any medical treatment that involves a blood transfusion, even if its life or death, even if its their own blood. So if you get in a car accident, you might want to ask if your Doctor is a Jehovah Witness.

This is not a joke. It puts real doctors in a quandary because they are supposed to save your life if its possible. If its a child in the family, he has no say if his parents are stick followers. Fortunately this has been tested in court and the ruling says mom and dad can go fuck themselves but the kid will be given a transfusion if its something that can save his life.

by Anonymousreply 99June 6, 2019 10:21 PM

She had options. She chose a different path...and failed.

by Anonymousreply 100June 7, 2019 2:07 AM

She sounds like an idiot, but I think triple negative breast cancer is more difficult to treat. It sounds like she didn’t even try conventional real medicine. I often hear of people with late stage cancer who do holistic medicine, etc when all other options run out but I always figure they know it won’t work.

by Anonymousreply 101June 7, 2019 3:37 AM

Vegan doesn't necessarily mean healthy. A whole bunch of junk food is vegan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 7, 2019 1:10 PM

I work with a vegan. All she stuffs her face with is pasta. She's as big as a house.

by Anonymousreply 103June 7, 2019 1:11 PM

[quote]She's more the Jesus-y type, thinking western medicine is a tool of the devil.

Yet Western concepts of good and evil are fine with her.

I still say it’s the carbs. Statistics and science back me up on this one. If you want evidence-based science, then first you must insist on evidence-based evidence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104June 7, 2019 1:38 PM

Nothing to see here, work as intended.

by Anonymousreply 105June 7, 2019 5:59 PM

[quote]Hugs to our DL cancer fighters.

And hugs to their caregivers as well, R94... :)

by Anonymousreply 106June 9, 2019 2:22 AM

My brother,who is one year older than me,was diagnosed 2 months ago with bladder cancer. They did a PET scan and found spots in his liver,right kidney and vocal cords. Hes never smoked a day in his life,always been active and healthy,but he did like his beer a little too much.He has yet to receive chemo of any sort,and they put stents in both his kidneys for whatever reason. My family and his kids are at our wits end on what to say or do. He really wont discuss much about it,so Im convinced he doesnt want chemo and is choosing to die. tell me fellow DL'ers ,how the hell do I deal with this shit ???? I love my brother and this whole thing is killing me. What do I expect? Dont hold back,I need the truth from SOMEBODY.

by Anonymousreply 107June 9, 2019 2:38 AM

[quote]He really wont discuss much about it, so Im convinced he doesn't want chemo and is choosing to die.

Chemo is not likely to help someone with advanced metastatic cancer. Once it is out of the organ it started in you are usually dealing with a fatal disease where palliative care as the best option. His doctors have probably laid out his limited options. Choosing comfort over a slightly longer painful decline is a viable option.

The western obsession with "fighting" an incurable disease is also a disease.

Then again - diet does not cure cancer. Just ask Steve Jobs.

by Anonymousreply 108June 9, 2019 2:53 AM

Once it's in the liver, that's pretty much it, sorry to say.

by Anonymousreply 109June 9, 2019 3:06 AM

I just finished immune therapy treatment for metastatic melanoma. I had it in lung, vertebrae and femur. Its was discovered after I had a cyst removed here in the states from my back that came up while I was in Afghanistan. I had the cyst for about 6 months while overseas before I bothered having it removed when I returned. I just finished radiation, surgery and chemo/immune therapy which super charges your immune system to go after the cancer itself. Your immune cells looks around for cells that don't fit in and destroys them. My initial 2 hr infusion treatments were no cake walk, but it worked. I will be on a maintenance infusion of opdiva( immune therapy drug) once a month for 30 min indefinitely. However, with the maintenance there are NO symptoms. Your in/Your out and no ill effects. Immune Therapy is now all the rage concerning cancer treatment. Its not developed for EVERY cancer yet just a handful and its a game changer. My radiologist told me flat out, 5 yrs ago without the development and FDA approval of Immune Therapy my prognosis would have been dim at best. I hope this helps someone and if faced with a cancer responsive to immune therapy, you suggest it to your oncologist.

by Anonymousreply 110June 9, 2019 3:33 AM

[quote]While veganism can be a good prevention for many diseases...

Nope. That is of course NOT supported by science! How can you quantify which diseases it prevents? It doesn't do that but still your claim is daffy.

by Anonymousreply 111June 9, 2019 6:18 AM

[quote]Seven weeks more, and a new CT scan showed that my lungs were normal -- no cancer. I continued drinking carrot juice four more months, probably more than necessary.

More NONSENSE! Mega doses of Vitamin A- found mostly in CARROTS can CAUSE lung cancer tumors to grow! Supplementing Vitamin A is NOT recommended for at-risk, or for postmenopausal women! This woman is mentally ILL!

by Anonymousreply 112June 9, 2019 6:41 AM

This is disturbing. I had no idea that this happens.

1.3 million (MILLION!) cases of breast cancer were “overdiagnosed” over the past 30 years. Meaning, they didn’t have actual cancers and were treated with mastectomies, chemo or radiation anyway by “overzealous” doctors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113June 10, 2019 10:53 AM

My mum was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer when she turned 70. She had a mastectomy and chemo/radiation. A year later she was declared cancer free. The was 3 years ago and she is currently vacationing around Europe. Even in an elderly person stage 2 breast cancer is usually treatable if you just do what the specialist tells you to do.

by Anonymousreply 114June 10, 2019 11:53 AM

r107, I'm so sorry. The best thing you can do is tell him you're here for him and won't pressure him in any way. Quality time and friendship is what you will remember most about this time with time.

by Anonymousreply 115June 19, 2019 1:37 PM

"To be fair, fat, young, stupid females have a lot to answer for."

Not really any more than young stupid males.

by Anonymousreply 116June 19, 2019 1:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!