Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

šŸ—»Mount Everest 2019 Part Two

If Herrod had been allowed a Sherpa, he wouldn't have died tangled in the ropes because the Sherpa would have cut him free and both would have got down safely.

And of course fucking nefarious Woodall didn't go up from Camp 4 to try to find Bruce. He just left him hanging on the mountain for a year.

by Anonymousreply 156June 24, 2019 9:43 AM

Americans going to Everest should bring their excrement back with them.

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2019 4:35 AM

Did Mandy Moore give a concert at base camp when she was there?

It would be neat if she were airlifted to higher levels, too, to urge the climbers on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2019 4:38 AM

Thirty deaths so far by the looks of things.

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2019 4:38 AM

R2, probably. Base Camp is party central, with plenty of hoeing.

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2019 4:39 AM

Are those four British climbers missing dead?

by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2019 4:54 AM

r3 that's the whole range, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2019 5:12 AM

R6, yep. 11 on Everest, eight on nearby peaks and another eight in the Indian himalayas.

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2019 5:19 AM

Breaking on CNN: A helicopter searching for the eight missing climbers has spotted a partially buried backpack at the site of a "huge avalanche" at about 5k meters. The chance of finding survivors is "next to zero." Ground teams aren't able to go up right now due to heavy rain and high winds.

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2019 6:58 AM

The Bruce Herrod Mystery is Solved.

Less than two months after Bruce Herrod disappeared his fianc sent me a fax. It read:

ā€œSorry we never managed to speak apart from on that horrible Saturday, but Iā€™m sure you realise that Bruce valued your company and felt you did a very good job.

Last Sunday Laura Rabhan (NBC Dateline Producer) gave me a copy of your diary extracts. Thank you. It is hard to describe, but when you canā€™t have the real thing back, you find yourself hungry for words, objects or anything that gives you a more immediate sense of what went on immediately before the world fell apart.ā€

She continued, ā€œHe literally gave his soul to this expeditionā€

Sue was angry and blamed Ian Woodall.

ā€œSome days are still truly appalling. Organising a memorial exhibition/reception seems bizarre and unfair, when a wedding reception would have been more fun, but it has to be done and Iā€™m sure it will be a great occasionā€ wrote Sue.

Sue now blamed Ian for Bruceā€™s death. I understood her pain, but not her explanation. Bruce had elected to go for the summit at his own free will.

In late 1997 a few 702 colleagues and I went out drinking on a Saturday night. As I recall I was with my girlfriend at the time, Chantal Rutter, Lynne Oā€™Connor, Kalay Maistry and Donald Chauke. I was driving and pulled up at a traffic light.

A newspaper vendor pressed a copy of the Sunday Times against my window. Looking back at me was Bruce Herrod.

I went into shock. It was a photo of him on the Summit!

A few weeks earlier an American climber, Pete Athans, came across a body at the base of the Hillary Step. The climber was tangled in the fixed ropes and had clearly fallen from the top of the Step to the base.

An inspection of the body revealed a traumatic head injury which would almost certainly have killed the man on impact.

Athans studied the gear and the appearance of the frozen climber and recognised him immediately. It was Bruce Herrod, they had met on the mountain in 1996.

Athans reached into Bruceā€™s rucksack and retrieved his camera. Then he cut the ropes holding Bruce in place on the Hillary Step and let his body plunge down the face into Nepal. It is how mountaineers are buried at this extreme altitude.

Weeks later the camera was delivered to Sue Thompson in London. She walked down High Street Kensington and handed the camera to a man behind the kiosk.

ā€œI need you to develop the film inside this camera. The man who took the pictures paid with his life to do so. Donā€™t screw this up!ā€

As it turned out the man behind the kiosk was a South African and he dutifully took the camera and oversaw the development.

There were only three pictures on the spool, all of Bruce Herrod smiling into the camera on the summit of Everest, his South African beanie proudly displayed.

Ian had been correct after all. Bruce had fallen to his death and it had happened at the Hillary Step. Within an hour of speaking to us from the Summit he was dead. Our radio calls and vigil at Camp 4 had all been in vain. Bruce Herrod had clipped into the ropes at the top of the Hillary Step and attempted to descend. Exhausted and lacking enough oxygen, he fell backwards, smashing his skull on the rocks below.

For him the sun had not yet set, but his life was over.

His comrades watched the South Summit relentlessly, hoping he would appear. He never did and now we know why.

Was Ian responsible? No.

Ian Woodall did not kill Bruce Herrod. He gave him the freedom to choose his own fate. I would want the freedom to do the same.

Bruceā€™s final photograph hangs in my office today. It will never be taken down and will move with me throughout my life.

Iā€™m six years older now than Bruce was when he died. He remains a mentor to me - GET out of your comfort zone and dare to live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2019 7:12 AM

Crazy!

It took Bruce 17 hours to summit. He must have had a death wish, because I am not a mountaineer. I even know that the stamina and life -- after that long of a stretch -- are in jeopardy.

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2019 7:32 AM

Woodhall as the leader should have either exhorted him to turn round (being a formidable, aggressive character, he should have found that easy) or instructed one of the expeditions' three climbing Sherpas to accompany him from Camp 4, instead of taking three for themselves. The Sherpa would have assisted Bruce and urged him to be more careful on the descent.

by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2019 8:37 AM

Sorry, but Herrod himself was responsible for his death. Sure, Woodall and ODowd are asshats, but there is no way they could have forced him to turn around and descent with them. He was already late because he didn't climb with them. Obviously Harrod wanted to summit at any cost, even though I am sure he knew what he was doing was crazy. And no, no Sherpa has to accompany a climber who is on a guaranteed death trip.

by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2019 9:14 AM

R12, it wasn't a guaranteed death trip. There was no storm. He left the summit at 5pm and plenty have survived an evening descent. It's not automatic death if you come down in the dark.

by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2019 3:32 AM

Playing Russian roulette also doesn't automatically result in death, R13.

by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2019 3:54 AM

R13, Why would anyone choose to climb solo? Doesn't it increase the risk of injury or death?

by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2019 5:11 AM

Forget climbing solo or in the dark, this man was on foot for 17 hours!

17 Hours!

That's how long it took him to summit.

Then, he had to walk some more hours to get back to camp. He was probably high on something.

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2019 6:04 AM

Interesting docu about the sons of Tenzing and Hillary retracing their fathers' achievement 50 years before.

Good insight of what it really means climbing Everest, Sherpa support, camps, disappointments, hard work; without glamorizing it.

Docu also shows the efforts of Pete Athans and Brent Bishop trying to reach the summit via the treacherous west ridge route.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2019 6:24 AM

Woodhall made him climb solo by instructing the three Sherpas to accompany himself and Cathy.

by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2019 7:19 AM

Then, he should have stayed his ass back at camp.

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2019 8:03 AM

R19, why are you defending that charlatan Woodhall?

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2019 8:44 AM

R18, Herrod decided by himself to climb on his own. Woodall and ODowd left camp IV for the summit without him. He wasn't ready when they left or unwell, he never should have followed them, esp since apparently he wasn't fit and or fast enough for the trip. Does this make Woodall a dick head? Maybe, but he had the mission to climb Everest for South Africa and he didn't want to be held up by unfit climbers.

You are like 'I don't care about safety, I just want to climb and if I die, god dammit I want a Sherpa to die with me'. You are the ultimate egoist.

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2019 9:05 AM

Hey OP, you forgot to post the link to Part One:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2019 9:13 AM

ā€œLook at me, Sherpa, is THAT what you call the proper amount of cappuccino foam?ā€

by Anonymousreply 23June 4, 2019 9:15 AM

Once again, the current Mt. Everest thread is all about 1996. Even the OP.

by Anonymousreply 24June 4, 2019 3:58 PM

5 dead bodies spotted by Indian Airforce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 4, 2019 5:06 PM

Son hopes dad who is among the 8 missing is still alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 4, 2019 5:08 PM

Body of Ruth McCance found.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 4, 2019 5:10 PM

The team missing on Nanda Devi...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 4, 2019 5:12 PM

It's too bad they can't pour some kind of acid or something on the dead bodies, from planes, to make them disappear.

Maybe robots would work, sent to drag them back down.

by Anonymousreply 29June 4, 2019 5:14 PM

This short documentaryshows you what it's ike just getting to the Mt. Everest Base Camp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 4, 2019 5:15 PM

Thank God my late father's passion was baseball. I still think it's very selfish for parents to partake in high risk sports or activites, regardless of the age of their children. Not to mention that these missing/dead mountaineers are endangering Search & Rescue teams, who may have no choice but to be part of a rescue efforts (military, etc). The rescuers are most likely are parents too. Or, they are the children of parents, who could lose their child to someone who just had to climb a mountain to brag about it or to fulfill some personal goal.

by Anonymousreply 31June 4, 2019 5:19 PM

The Grusesome Truth About the Climbers Who Die on Mt. Everest (green boots included)...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 4, 2019 5:21 PM

Imagine being the family/ancestors of George Mallory. His back looks like an ice cube. You would think he, of all people, would warrant pick up.

Mallory sure was handsome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 4, 2019 5:29 PM

he had a cold ass, but he couldn't live forever

by Anonymousreply 34June 4, 2019 5:30 PM

Gallery of Mallory photos from Google Images...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 4, 2019 5:30 PM

Check out George Mallory's legs. The indiginity (but of course, we DLers must examine everything)! He had one hardy sock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 4, 2019 5:32 PM

Are those blue things socks too?

by Anonymousreply 37June 4, 2019 5:33 PM

[quote]Mallory sure was handsome.

He still is. He looks nice. He looks like a hot adipocere dude, but he isn't one. I would like to touch his smooth white skin. It think would be like touching a sleeping K-pop dude's skin. I would like that. I think he's kind of quiet and shy like me, and nice. I think he smells like lavender, ozone, and a touch of chai. Do you?

Well?

by Anonymousreply 38June 4, 2019 5:56 PM

Decomposition is very odd on Mt. Everest. I wonder if the spirits of these dead climbers hang around. What would they say? Would they be at such a place of enlightenment that they wouldn't care if people gawked and stepped over their frozen corpses? I don't know.

In NYC after 9/11 and TWA 800 crash, where families were gathering and wanting bodies to bury, my whole family made an oath to each other. We said that if some disaster happens like those, don't gather and wait nearby hoping for our body to bury. It doesn't matter. Let us be fish food.

I don't know how I'd feel about my body on Everest. I wouldn't put myself in that position, nor would I want to endanger anyone trying to retrieve my body. But it is gruesome and callous to be trampling by them on your stupid excursion. At least anchor a flag or tarp around them. Cut off some memento for their families --- a patch of their clothing, buckle, clamp, compass, goggles, knit hat, sunglasses, something.

Don't all climbers wear GPS and avalanche beacons now? Don't all the camps have GPS beacons, cell and satellite phones? Flashlights and light beacons? Those could have saved some of the 1996 Everest climbers including the Japanese guy who fell off the cliff trying to poop. to give their families when you get back down.

by Anonymousreply 39June 4, 2019 6:37 PM

Another great Everest Base Camp trekking docu video with 3 strapping hot guys and beautiful landscape cinematography!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 5, 2019 12:05 AM

R39. lol. I made an edit and somehow a sentence got mangled. I did not mean to say "...including the Japanese guy who fell off the cliff trying to poop. to give their families when you get back down."

No saving poop for the families. "to give their families when you get back down" was meant to end the sentence about bringing down mementos for the families of the dead climbers.

by Anonymousreply 41June 5, 2019 12:57 AM

The guy who fell down the Lhotse face was from Taiwan R39 and Scott Fisher didn't even give radios to his guides.

by Anonymousreply 42June 5, 2019 1:11 AM

And it's Fischer not Fisher

by Anonymousreply 43June 5, 2019 5:19 AM

- was

by Anonymousreply 44June 5, 2019 5:21 AM

R38 fucking wins.

by Anonymousreply 45June 5, 2019 5:27 AM

[quote]r39 What would they say? Would they be at such a place of enlightenment that they wouldn't care if people gawked and stepped over their frozen corpses?

Undoubtedly they stepped over and gawked at similar corpses on their own ways up and/or down.

Did they stop to bury [italic]them? [/italic] No.

by Anonymousreply 46June 5, 2019 5:35 AM

The search and discovery of Mallory's body took more than 70 years. Finally a team of renowned American climbers incl Conrad Anker and Dave Hahn and some German guy who devoted his whole adult life unraveling the mystery around the Mallory-Irvine climb, found Mallory's bleached body in May 1999, face down on a snow field some 600 meters below the lower north east ridge.

At first they thought they had found Irvine's body because his ice axe was discovered by a Chinese climber not that far away in 1933. Name tags on the collar of one of his remaining shirts finally gave away the identity of the body - George Mallory. What they found was that he died from a massive head wound, possible inflicted by a blow to his forehead with an ice axe which nobody could explain how that happened.

It's a fascinating story. Mallory's body is still on the mountain, the 1999 team gave his body a proper burial and covered him up with stones. Nobody knows whether Mallory and Irvine made it to the summit.

5 part BBC documentary, it's worth watching the whole thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 5, 2019 6:15 AM

Mallory was another one who left a small child behind while he climbed a mountain.

by Anonymousreply 48June 5, 2019 6:23 AM

"I would never leave my boyfriends behind while climbing a mountain. They always climbed with me. Oh, my husband might be left at home, but never my boyfriends."

by Anonymousreply 49June 5, 2019 6:33 AM

'Maybe, but he had the mission to climb Everest for South Africa and he didn't want to be held...'

Woodall pretended to be South African for the kudos of first SA to summit but he was actually a Brit! Charatan on so many levels.

The foolhardy eight killed on this Indian mountain were trying to summit a virgin peak notorious for deep gorges and avalanches.

by Anonymousreply 50June 5, 2019 6:34 AM

George Mallory sure was the exhibitionist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 5, 2019 6:38 AM

The eight dead climbers were climbing a never summited peak without permission from the authorities:

The group was attempting to scale a previously unclimbed and unnamed peak believed to be about 6,477 meters (21,250 feet) high, according to Facebook posts from the group's expedition company. The alarm was raised a few days after they failed to return to camp.

The eight climbers did not have permission to climb an unnamed peak, Indian authorities said Monday.

Jogdande added that if authorities had known that the eight climbers were planning on climbing the unnamed peak instead of Nanda Devi East, they "would not have given permission."

by Anonymousreply 52June 5, 2019 7:38 AM

[quote]Jogdande added that if authorities had known that the eight climbers were planning on climbing the unnamed peak instead of Nanda Devi East, they "would not have given permission."

As if! I'm sure that once their money was received, the authorities didn't give a care what mountain they climbed.

[quote]The group was attempting to scale a previously unclimbed and unnamed peak believed to be about 6,477 meters (21,250 feet) high

That's lower than Everest's summit. I wonder why they wanted to climb a lower and more dangerous peak? Yeah, I'm sure for the fame of being the first, but it pales in comparison to Everest's peak.

by Anonymousreply 53June 5, 2019 8:32 AM

Only on DL would a nearly century old frozen body of George Mallory be deemed ā€œhot.ā€

by Anonymousreply 54June 5, 2019 8:44 AM

I think George swung both ways.

by Anonymousreply 55June 5, 2019 8:51 AM

Hot or cold?

by Anonymousreply 56June 5, 2019 8:53 AM

If you have a death wish or not long to live I could see climbing Everest being an option. But you put the lives of Sherpas in the balance, so itā€™s not ethical. Better to swim with Great Whites.

by Anonymousreply 57June 5, 2019 9:08 AM

That ridge they all stand on to reach the top is sixteen inches wide, with a 4000 foot drop to one side and a 6000 foot drop on the other.

When that conga line to the summit is full of iced over dead rich people's corpses and there is no way to move them nor climb over them I will laugh and laugh!

Then the mountain will blow them off and new ones will come, I suppose, but what a work of art and testimony to the hubris of people that will be in the meantime!

by Anonymousreply 58June 5, 2019 11:49 AM

"When that conga line to the summit is full of iced over dead rich people's corpses "

Heh!

by Anonymousreply 59June 5, 2019 12:49 PM

Is the season over, then?

by Anonymousreply 60June 5, 2019 11:23 PM

All over but the garbage...

by Anonymousreply 61June 5, 2019 11:36 PM

R58, they don't blow off easily. They become frozen into the rock very quickly. Mark Horrell wrote in his My Everest Hell book that one of the corpses on the summit ridge was still so life like and scary that it resembled a 'high altitude zombie trying to crawl towards me.'

To remove them, industrial equipment is required as they all double in weight from the ice.

by Anonymousreply 62June 5, 2019 11:57 PM

'That's lower than Everest's summit. I wonder why they wanted to climb a lower and more dangerous peak? Yeah, I'm sure for the fame of being the first, but it pales in comparison to Everest's peak. '

It probably cost about 25% as much and they would go down in record books as the first to summit it. The mountain will now be on the radar of all professional climbers, who will rush to bag the dangerous summit, which apparently is surrounded not just by crevasses, but by 'gorges'. Scary.

by Anonymousreply 63June 6, 2019 12:04 AM

Is the death toll 30 now?

by Anonymousreply 64June 7, 2019 3:28 AM

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that sleeping beauty woman. She never climbed a mountain, but her mountaineer husband thinks it's okay for Everest to be her first mountain. Then, he leaves her on the mountain thinking she made it to base camp before he did?

Was he trying to kill her and ended up killing them both?

by Anonymousreply 65June 7, 2019 4:27 AM

Take off those thirsty (green) boots - -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 7, 2019 4:47 AM

R65, Frances the Sleeping Beauty was an experienced climber:

In 1992, Yarbro married Sergei Arsentiev. Together, they climbed many Russian peaks, including the first ascent of Peak 5800m, which they named Peak Goodwill, as well as Denali via the West Buttress. Arsentiev became the first U.S. woman to ski down Elbrus, and she summitted its east and west peaks. By this time, she had developed an interest in becoming the first U.S. woman to summit Everest without the use of supplemental oxygen.[2]

by Anonymousreply 67June 7, 2019 9:01 AM

Just read that 12 sherpas removed tons of garbage from Everest the last couple of weeks - including 4 unidentified bodies. Authorities are asking for DNA samples from relatives but no one even responded. Are they afraid they have to pay for the - unwanted - recovery? So weird that no one seems to care about their loved ones.

by Anonymousreply 68June 7, 2019 3:23 PM

Looks like Arsantiev didn't have much experience with climbing 8 thousanders. I guess once you're in the death zone, it's a whole different ball game.

But I guess it's all a bit of a gamble whether you'll make it down the mountain alive or not.

by Anonymousreply 69June 7, 2019 9:13 PM

[quote]Are they afraid they have to pay for the - unwanted - recovery? So weird that no one seems to care about their loved ones.

Odd, because the family of at least one of the missing climbers raised a lot of money towards recovering his body.

by Anonymousreply 70June 7, 2019 9:48 PM

(Maybe this will take the heat off Everest):

@ABC7

Visiting the International Space Station will soon be possible...if you can pay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 7, 2019 10:48 PM

'Looks like Arsantiev didn't have much experience with climbing 8 thousanders. I guess once you're in the death zone, it's a whole different ball game'

She went up into her first death zone without any o2, so of course she died. A very silly woman.

by Anonymousreply 72June 8, 2019 1:54 AM

[quote]'Looks like Arsantiev didn't have much experience with climbing 8 thousanders. I guess once you're in the death zone, it's a whole different ball game'

[quote]She went up into her first death zone without any o2, so of course she died. A very silly woman.

She NEVER EVER climbed a mountain before, and Mt. Everest was her FIRST one. Her child had a nightmare that his parents were in trouble. He begged her to stay. She said it was okay, and she left. It was odd he didn't beg his dad to stay.

I wonder what was her husband thinking or plotting.

Because, he returns to base camp without her, as if she -- A WOMAN WHO HAS NEVER CLIMBED -- will out pace him and get to camp before he -- AN EXPERIENCED CLIMBER -- did.

When he went to go look for her, I think it was just Karma that he died.

No body, so who really knows for sure if he did die.

by Anonymousreply 73June 8, 2019 4:39 AM

@AFP

The bodies of four climbers who failed their Everest challenge and left little clue as to their identity have thrown up a new challenge for Nepalese authorities who control the world's tallest peak

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 9, 2019 8:41 PM

R47 the German guy is Jochen Hemmleb and he is very cute.

Mallory did swing both ways in his infatuations, although partly that may also have been because it it was a trendy thing to do in his social set. He did actually have an actual sexual encounter with Lytton Strachey's brother (whose name I forget) but he didn't seem to want to repeat the experience. When he died, he had letters on him, one of which was from a 19 year old fan named Marjorie Hamilton, whose ongoing correspondence with him had turned romantic. I'm sure the wife never knew.

by Anonymousreply 75June 10, 2019 12:16 AM

An interesting post from Everestnews. They had funded an expedition to find Sandy Irvine (obviously not successful). Their theory is that Mallory and Irvine were not roped together when Mallory fell, and that George may have summitted alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 10, 2019 12:28 AM

NO IT WASN'T FRAN'S FIRST FUCKING MOUNTAIN.

It's there in her Wikipedia entry so I don't know why you are here shouting. She foolishly tried to ascend without o2 so of course she was spazzed on the descent:

In 1992, Yarbro married Sergei Arsentiev. Together, they climbed many Russian peaks, including the first ascent of Peak 5800m, which they named Peak Goodwill, as well as Denali via the West Buttress. Arsentiev became the first U.S. woman to ski down Elbrus, and she summitted its east and west peaks. By this time, she had developed an interest in becoming the first U.S. woman to summit Everest without the use of supplemental oxygen.[2]

by Anonymousreply 77June 10, 2019 1:35 AM

R77, Don't most climbers who attempt a summit without oxygen do so on their 2nd or more climb?

by Anonymousreply 78June 10, 2019 3:12 AM

She did summit lower mountains without oxygen but Everest was her first 8000er.

by Anonymousreply 79June 10, 2019 3:18 AM

R79, To clarify,I meant that those who climb Mount Everest without oxygen do so after successfully summiting that particular mountain at least once.

How many of the 7 summits did she conquer?

by Anonymousreply 80June 10, 2019 3:25 AM

R80, two by the sounds of it: Elbrus and Denali. Conditions on Denali can be just as brutal as Everest. Blizzards and -100f. But it's not an 8000 peak.

by Anonymousreply 81June 10, 2019 4:36 AM

Of the 7 summits only Everest in a 8thousander.

All the others are significantly lower. She probably was a skilled mountaineer but was naive about the extreme effect of altitude on the body once you're in the death zone.

by Anonymousreply 82June 10, 2019 4:40 AM

She had climbed mountains but should never have climbed Everest for the first time sans oxygen. It's no wonder she died. Cathy O'Dowd gives a gruesome description of her dying state in her biog. Hanging from the ropes 'like a puppet', 'skin white as porcelein' and crying hypoxically 'why are you doing this to me' when they tried to give her 02.

by Anonymousreply 83June 10, 2019 6:01 AM

They weren't giving her oxygen, because she didn't have a mask and they didn't have a spare one. According to Cathy, she was just repeating phrases like a broken record, "Don't leave me. I'm an American."

by Anonymousreply 84June 10, 2019 6:12 AM

Did she at least have a relative who was willing to raise her young child if anything bad happened to her? Serious enough fathers abandoning their responsibility but I'd expect a mother would be more conscientious. Parents of young kids shouldn't be such risk takers. It's not like the military where there's a real purpose involved.

by Anonymousreply 85June 10, 2019 6:18 AM

A team of Uzbekistan climbers already helped FA with oxygen and carried her to a lower altitude, but by that time she had already spent 3 days in the death zone and was barely conscious. The next day Woodall and O'Dowd found her, still alive, but beyond help.

by Anonymousreply 86June 10, 2019 6:27 AM

The Uzbekistan climbers just gave her a can of oxygen, which she couldn't use, because she didn't have a mask. They couldn't have carried her to a lower level, if so, why did they leave her in the death zone?

by Anonymousreply 87June 10, 2019 7:11 AM

[quote]r68 12 sherpas removed tons of garbage from Everest the last couple of weeks - including 4 unidentified bodies.

They should auction them on ebay, to fund more cleanup.

If you can't afford the climb, at least you can have someone from Everest in your freezer.

by Anonymousreply 88June 10, 2019 7:40 AM

I think they carried her down as much as possible before they also were at risk running out of oxygen. Then they left her.

by Anonymousreply 89June 10, 2019 7:40 AM

Don't they leave notes or sign something saying what to do if they don't return? or wear dog tags like in the military to identify the person? or do they like the myth and allure of having died on Everest? *rolls eyes* I expect it's only going to get worse.

by Anonymousreply 90June 10, 2019 7:58 AM

Is she one of the upcoming ebay items?

by Anonymousreply 91June 10, 2019 7:59 AM

More and more people are trying to climb the other 8000s that surround Everest so the corpse count is only going to rise year or year. Expeditions to Cho Oyo, Llotse and Nuptse are popular and much cheaper than they are to Everest.

by Anonymousreply 92June 10, 2019 8:16 AM

Crazy Mostly White people and their money.

by Anonymousreply 93June 10, 2019 8:25 AM

David Breashears attempts to answer the questions we'be been pondering on these threads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 10, 2019 9:39 AM

Also curious about the name tag thing. It seems like a lot of them climb without proper identification. Why is it so hard to have your name in your clothes or on all your property. They should also all be required to have a plastic ID and a dog tag around their necks. They probably all think they're invincible and don't need it.

In total there are currently around 300 bodies on Everest. Why isn't there proper documentation of the names, ages, clothes and equipment. Person xy was wearing a red suit from brand xy and shoes size x from brand xy would also help.

by Anonymousreply 95June 10, 2019 1:00 PM

George Mallory had a name tag in his shirt which is how they identified him.

They should all wear name tags, but considering the bodies are often found huddled in a frozen ball or swaddled with clothing that would conceal any name tag, they probably should wear jackets with their names emblazoned across the front and back, similar to football jerseys. Probably down the legs too.

by Anonymousreply 96June 10, 2019 4:17 PM

I pity the fools.

by Anonymousreply 97June 10, 2019 4:29 PM

R94 he's quite the silver fox šŸŗ

by Anonymousreply 98June 10, 2019 9:24 PM

[quote]r92 More and more people are trying to climb the other 8000s that surround Everest so the corpse count is only going to rise

How expensive is it to just release vultures up there?

by Anonymousreply 99June 10, 2019 9:37 PM

When will robots with AI start assisting climbers up?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100June 10, 2019 9:41 PM

[quote]r100 When will robots with AI start assisting climbers up?

I want them to malfunction, and start tossing the climbers off cliffs.

by Anonymousreply 101June 10, 2019 9:44 PM

[quote]r73 I wonder what was her husband thinking or plotting. Because, he returns to base camp without her, as if she -- A WOMAN WHO HAS NEVER CLIMBED -- will out pace him and get to camp before he -- AN EXPERIENCED CLIMBER -- did.

Gurl should have upped her blowjob game.

by Anonymousreply 102June 10, 2019 9:54 PM

[quote]How expensive is it to just release vultures up there?

How do you think those holes got into my buttox?

- George Mallory

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103June 10, 2019 10:34 PM

Considering there are no vultures or animals that high up, how did they?

by Anonymousreply 104June 11, 2019 12:45 AM

"Now I realized why I had said it wasn't Irvine," Politz recalls. "It was the position of the body. The body we were looking forā€”a body long assumed to be Andrew Irvineā€”had been seen in 1975 by a Chinese climber, Wang Hongbao, during a short walk from his Camp VI tent at 26,980 feet. He described the body as gape-mouthed, its cheek pecked by goraks. But this body was face down. What's more, it was too far from the Chinese camp. No one in his right mind would have gone for a short walk where we found this body. I just sat down. My knees literally got weak. My jaw dropped. Next to me, Dave was going, 'Oh, my God, it's George. Oh, my God.' "

It was this camera that the Mallory and Irvine Research Expedition hoped to find. After recovering from the initial shock of discovering Mallory's body, the climbers hesitantly began trying to free it from the frozen rock. It was like chipping concrete with a knife, but the exhaustingly slow pace afforded plenty of time to study Mallory carefully. The tibia and fibula of his right leg were broken above the top of his boot, and his right elbow was either broken or dislocated. Cuts, abrasions, and bruises ran along his right side, and the climbing rope in which he was tangled had compressed his rib cage. The rope had passed twice around his waist, and the frayed trailing ends were wrapped around his leg and upper body. Goraks had pecked at the body, eating away his legs, buttocks, and abdominal cavity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 11, 2019 12:52 AM

[bold]#MoreGoraks!

by Anonymousreply 106June 11, 2019 12:56 AM

R104, R106, Link provides more details on Everest's geese or goraks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 11, 2019 1:03 AM

Denali isn't an 8000 metre peak but it's set in an incredibly cold climate and dozens of men have died up there. So Fran summiting there was an achievement.

by Anonymousreply 108June 11, 2019 2:09 AM

If sheā€™d had oxygen for the trip down sheā€™d probably still be alive.

I think it was Sir Edmund Hillary that said it was horrible that people were leaving dying people behind and and summiting right past their dying bodies as they begged for help. Delirious or not, how could you leave a dying person saying ā€œDonā€™t leave meā€? When the first group found her she wasnā€™t as bad off. The second group didnā€™t find her until the next day.

Oā€™Dowd said she thought she was just repeating it like a broken record. So who was she saying it to, the first group of hikers or her husband?

by Anonymousreply 109June 11, 2019 2:17 AM

[quote]Link provides more details on Everest's geese or goraks.

If they built a fire and roasted the bodies to thaw them, might the goraks eat them, then?

There has to be a way to entice them - -

by Anonymousreply 110June 11, 2019 2:34 AM

[quote]r109 Delirious or not, how could you leave a dying person saying ā€œDonā€™t leave meā€? ... Oā€™Dowd said she thought she was just repeating it like a broken record.

Fucking tiresome.

People are on vacation!

by Anonymousreply 111June 11, 2019 2:36 AM

R101 Lol.

by Anonymousreply 112June 11, 2019 6:48 AM

[quote]If sheā€™d had oxygen for the trip down sheā€™d probably still be alive.

I think it was Sir Edmund Hillary that said it was horrible that people were leaving dying people behind and and summiting right past their dying bodies as they begged for help. Delirious or not, how could you leave a dying person saying ā€œDonā€™t leave meā€? When the first group found her she wasnā€™t as bad off. The second group didnā€™t find her until the next day.

As cold as this sounds, she should have known what she was in for, especially if she were an experienced climber. However, she and her husband wanted to break a record w/o oxygen, and they did. Did they not think of what comes next? If she knew it was advisable to use oxygen, she knew there were deadly risks without it.

As expensive it is to climb Everest, why should someone ruin their dream or life to save her? She got her dream to summit w/o oxygen.

[quote]Oā€™Dowd said she thought she was just repeating it like a broken record. So who was she saying it to, the first group of hikers or her husband?

I think she was saying that to the first group of hikers, especially when she said "I'm American." Now, of course, it could have been a mashup between the two conversations, which tends to happen, because I definitely believe her husband left her on that mountain.

by Anonymousreply 113June 11, 2019 7:04 AM

[quote]If sheā€™d had oxygen for the trip down sheā€™d probably still be alive. I think it was Sir Edmund Hillary that said it was horrible that people were leaving dying people behind and and summiting right past their dying bodies as they begged for help. Delirious or not, how could you leave a dying person saying ā€œDonā€™t leave meā€? When the first group found her she wasnā€™t as bad off. The second group didnā€™t find her until the next day.

As cold as this sounds, she should have known what she was in for, especially if she were an experienced climber. However, she and her husband wanted to break a record w/o oxygen, and they did. Did they not think of what comes next? If she knew it was advisable to use oxygen, she knew there were deadly risks without it.

As expensive it is to climb Everest, why should someone ruin their dream or life to save her? She got her dream to summit w/o oxygen.

by Anonymousreply 114June 11, 2019 7:05 AM

[quote] Oā€™Dowd said she thought she was just repeating it like a broken record. So who was she saying it to, the first group of hikers or her husband?

I think she was saying that to the first group of hikers, especially when she said "I'm American." Now, of course, it could have been a mashup between the two conversations, which tends to happen, because I definitely believe her husband left her on that mountain.

by Anonymousreply 115June 11, 2019 7:06 AM

R115, Why did her husband separate from her in the 1st place? Shouldn't they have been climbing more or less together?

by Anonymousreply 116June 11, 2019 7:33 AM

They were climbing without Sherpa support. They made the same mistake as David Sharp, trying to be purists and it backfired on them.

When Woodall and O'Dowd found her, they had been in the death zone for 4 days, staying two successive nights at camp 6 above 8200 m, because they couldn't summit at their first attempt. I can't imagine after that time any of them was capable of a rational thought.

by Anonymousreply 117June 11, 2019 7:54 AM

[quote]Why did her husband separate from her in the 1st place? Shouldn't they have been climbing more or less together?

Exactly! The husband went to camp thinking she was there. WTF? Then, he turns around and goes to look for her, when she doesn't make it back to camp.

I would love to see a timeline of when the husband's movements after the summit, but this will have to do:

[quote]Following a rough night time trek to camp, Sergi noticed she was missing. Despite the dangers, he chose to turn back to find his wife. On his way back, he encountered a team of Uzbek climbers who said they had tried to help Francys, but had to abandon her when their own oxygen became depleted. The next day, two other climbers found Francys, who was still alive but in too poor of a condition to be moved. Her husband's ice axe and rope were nearby, but he was nowhere to be found. Francys died where the two climbers left her and climbers solved Sergi's disappearance the following year when they found his body lower down on the mountain face where he fell to his death.

by Anonymousreply 118June 11, 2019 8:27 AM

Every year, these threads rock. This one started slow, (what was the greyed out thing about), but it has turned into another bloody good one. Thanks everyone

by Anonymousreply 119June 11, 2019 9:18 AM

You bitches are slipping, going on about fictitious vultures. Here is a big story re: this season's climb---

Indian Fake Everest Summit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120June 11, 2019 10:07 AM

[quote]If they built a fire and roasted the bodies to thaw them, might the goraks eat them, then? There has to be a way to entice them

Someone needs to bring up a few cases of barbecue sauce. That might work.

by Anonymousreply 121June 11, 2019 11:37 AM

R111 Iā€™m crying with laughter. That was fucking hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 122June 11, 2019 11:37 AM

Cathy O'Dowd did a LOT of virtue signalling in her autobiograpy so compensate for behaving so badly on the 96 expedition.

by Anonymousreply 123June 11, 2019 11:39 AM

[quote]r117 They were climbing without Sherpa support. They made the same mistake as David Sharp, trying to be purists and it backfired on them.

Who'd a thunk it?

by Anonymousreply 124June 11, 2019 2:19 PM

R123 I'm an Everest newbie. What did she do?

by Anonymousreply 125June 13, 2019 7:39 AM

She walked right past a dying woman and left her there to die alone. In her account, thereā€™s a lot of trying to justify her actions.

She sounds like sheā€™s too apologetic and guilty for it to really have been a situation where she was in such dire straits she couldnā€™t do something else.

by Anonymousreply 126June 13, 2019 8:00 AM

Well, it seems as if there isn't much to be done if someone is stricken with something on that mountain. Plus, Francy should have known better. She gambled with her own life.

Why should Cathy gamble more with her own life by trying to rescue a woman who was out in the open for at least two days?

Francy went up there without oxygen or a crew and somehow was separated from her husband. Yet, Francy wanted someone to stay with her in 30 degrees below zero weather-- for what?

Everyone should have known the mountain is deadly. You are climbing something that requires oxygen and yet Francy and her husband wanted to make a record and prove everyone wrong.

At the very least, they should have had a crew or emergency oxygen, just in case, but they did none of that. They didn't even look out for themselves let alone their child, who was left an orphan.

by Anonymousreply 127June 13, 2019 9:12 AM

O'Dowd's team didn't have the man power to winch Fran down. They stayed with her as long as they could and actually abandoned their summit attempt.

by Anonymousreply 128June 13, 2019 10:08 AM

Francy was already in her fourth day above 8000m. There is nothing anybody could have done to help her.

by Anonymousreply 129June 14, 2019 9:54 AM

How on earth do you get separated on Everest?

by Anonymousreply 130June 14, 2019 2:20 PM

Maybe she saw a shoe sale.

It happens.

by Anonymousreply 131June 14, 2019 2:32 PM

I think her husband ā€œleft her to get help.ā€ Then went back to get her alone and fell. I wonder if she knew he fell. Probably not. They found his body a long time later.

by Anonymousreply 132June 14, 2019 9:47 PM

I donā€™t think so, r132. I read he went back to base camp and was surprised he didnā€™t see her there. Then he went back to search for her.

by Anonymousreply 133June 15, 2019 12:48 AM

I have a sneaky suspicion that he never went to look for her and whatever corpse that is down that mountain is one of the random 300 dead bodies. It's not him.

by Anonymousreply 134June 15, 2019 9:58 AM

Wasn't Sergio the creepy corpse sitting up with long stringy hair flying around?

by Anonymousreply 135June 15, 2019 10:05 AM

Right, r134. He actually made it back down without anyone else seeing him. Heā€™s sneaky like that.

by Anonymousreply 136June 15, 2019 11:09 AM

R136 It's possible. They wear a ton of gear. Plus, who knows if he went up the mountain when he left the tent. He could have simply gone down the mountain instead of going up to look for the wife.

by Anonymousreply 137June 16, 2019 6:12 AM

[quote]They wear a ton of gear.

So I guess he swapped clothes with a corpse he happened to find on the mountain?

[quote]Plus, who knows if he went up the mountain when he left the tent. He could have simply gone down the mountain instead of going up to look for the wife.

ā€œSimply gone downā€? Itā€™s Everest! Most of the deaths occur on the way down. Itā€™s not the bunny slope at your local ski lodge.

by Anonymousreply 138June 16, 2019 11:32 AM

The couple had a small child, so did Sergio abandon him? Because not a single family member or friend ever saw Sergio again.

You conspiracy queens crack me up.

by Anonymousreply 139June 16, 2019 11:49 AM

[quote]The couple had a small child, so did Sergio abandon him?

No, that was not Sergei's child. It was Francy's son.

Another account of the day:

The couple had reached the summit without supplemental oxygen - Fran was the first American woman to do so - and were descending when disaster struck.

A team of Uzbek climbers said later that they had come across Sergei, who had asked for oxygen and medicine and then left them to return to his wife. (Cathy's account said that the Uzbek team tried to help Francy, left oxygen, and left her)

It is thought he fell on the way back, although it is not known where he died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140June 17, 2019 7:14 AM

France didnā€™t have an oxygen mask, so it did no good.

If Iā€™m not mistaken, they did find Sergei a long time later, or saw a body they thought was Sergei.

by Anonymousreply 141June 17, 2019 2:57 PM

Apparently Sergeiā€™s body was discovered:

ā€œFrancys Arsentiev (January 18, 1958 ā€“ May 24, 1998) became the first woman from the United States to reach the summit without the aid of bottled oxygen, on May 22, 1998. She tried to establish a record of such climb. During the course of the treacherous descent, Francys and herā€™ Russian husband, Sergei Arsentiev, became separated. Sergei Arsentiev made it to the base camp, realized Francys hasnā€™t arrive, turned around and went back up the mountain in search of her. His ice axe and rope were found near her frozen body. Francys died, lying on her side, still clipped onto the guide rope. She was 40 years old, the mother of a son.

ā€œSergei was nowhere to be found. In 1999, however, Mallory and Irvine Research Expedition (to find evidence that Mallory and Irvine had been the first to summit Everest in their attempt of 8ā€“9 June 1924) discovered Sergeiā€™s body lower on the mountain face. Apparently he has sustained a fatal fall while attempting to rescue his wife.ā€

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142June 17, 2019 6:49 PM

Who the hell wrote that? Itā€™s riddled with errors.

by Anonymousreply 143June 17, 2019 9:42 PM

TRAGEDY AT 8,000 METRES

There are numerous cases where climbers have been left on Everest.

One of the most famous is of Sergei and Francys Distefano-Arsentiev. The married couple and seasoned mountaineers tried to climb the mountain in May of 1998.

After two failed attempts to reach the summit in two days, the oxygen depletion was taking its toll on both of them. But on May 22, the couple completed the push to the summit, making Francys the first North American woman to summit without bottled oxygen. But it was late in the day, and the couple was forced to spend another night above 8,000 metres in the Death Zone. During the night they became separated and the following morning, Francys was nowhere to be found. Sergei went to find her, taking oxygen and medicine with him.

Some members from a Uzbek team apparently came across Francys as they headed to the summit. And while Sergei's ice axe and rope were found nearby, he was not. Francys was observed to be half conscious and frozen, and the climbers tried to carry her down the mountain until their own oxygen depletion interfered. They left her with an oxygen canister and made their way down to camp. They crossed paths with Sergei, who likely was on his way back up to where his wife was. It was the last time he was seen alive.

On the morning of May 24, climbers Ian Woodall and Cathy O'Dowd came across Francys while on their way to the summit. Woodall and O'Dowd had been members of one of several Everest expeditions in 1996 ā€” the year of the mountain's most famous tragedy in which eight climbers died and which was chronicled in Jon Krakauer's bestselling book Into Thin Air.

As Woodall and O'Dowd encountered Francys on their climb that day, she was exactly where she had been left the night before. Woodall and O'Dowd tried to help her, but she was in poor condition, in a dangerous location, and in freezing weather.

She was left there, and found later lying on her side and still clipped onto the guide rope.

The mysterious disappearance of Sergei was solved the following year when Jake Norton, a member of the 1999 George Mallory and Andrew Irvine expedition discovered the body lower on the mountain face. It appeared he had fallen while attempting to rescue his wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144June 18, 2019 12:35 AM

So, it seems Francy must have hiked down the mountain in the middle of the night and that caused her to be separated from her husband. That makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 145June 18, 2019 5:29 AM

Doesn't everyone now have very high tech equipment that captures the trek? go pro cameras/GPS/beacons/light tags/body monitoring devices/new O2 canisters and equipment and whatever else. it all still seems futile. At that height (base camp) I just imagine the foreigners dizzy and giddy that they are going to trek Everest.

by Anonymousreply 146June 18, 2019 5:53 AM

Such extraordinary stupidity! Someone get these idiots to try scuba diving without oxygen too.

by Anonymousreply 147June 18, 2019 4:01 PM

Actually R147 I know someone who does something called free-diving, diving as deeply as possible without oxygen. She pushes herself to new PB (personal best) limits. She says it is exhilarating.

by Anonymousreply 148June 18, 2019 10:34 PM

Bear Grylls: 'I should have died several times on Mount Everest'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149June 19, 2019 8:39 AM

He can always go back and try again.

by Anonymousreply 150June 19, 2019 9:02 AM

After reading R144, several things donā€™t make sense. He brought oxygen but it wasnā€™t on her? His ice axe was right beside her, implying he did come back and find her. It seems she was still alive then. She was saying, donā€™t leave me...to Sergei?

Did he see it was hopeless and deliberately kill himself rather than leave her and have to face the family? He was in much better shape than her.

by Anonymousreply 151June 19, 2019 1:41 PM

Reading all the stuff, it seems he was going up and down that dang mountain. It's crazy.

Re: Oxygen

I don't know why he bothered bringing oxygen, if he brought it all, because according to Cathy, she didn't have a face mask. As a result, the oxygen was useless to Francy. He would have known that.

I believe that Uzbec team left the can of oxygen when they found her. They didn't have an extra face mask, but they tried to assist. Eventually, they left her with only the can of oxygen, as stated by Cathy.

by Anonymousreply 152June 20, 2019 5:36 AM

[quote]because according to Cathy, she didn't have a face mask.

[quote]as stated by Cathy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153June 20, 2019 11:00 AM

I read that also.

If Sergei had an oxygen tank, why not a mask too? Did he get it from someone on the mountain, or did they have one for emergencies? And if they didnā€™t, why not?

by Anonymousreply 154June 20, 2019 12:41 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155June 24, 2019 7:17 AM

[quote]If Sergei had an oxygen tank, why not a mask too?

The mask could have been easily blown away or somebody took it. Also, Sergei had a severely oxygen deprived brain. They had been in the death zone without oxygen for 4 days. I find it hard to believe that any of those two could still think coherently. Probably the reason they became separated on the way down without realizing.

by Anonymousreply 156June 24, 2019 9:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!