Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Drugstore skincare products

What are your favorite tried-and-true drugstore products? My Russian great grandmother used Pond's moisturizing cream and Olay oil and had beautiful skin until she died at 86. I've heard many people swear by Pond's products especially. I use their moisturizing cream sometimes before I got to bed, and have found it really does even out my complexion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132October 17, 2019 11:24 PM

Loaded with harsh strong smelling perfumes and chemicals!

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2019 9:26 AM

That's part of the allure, R1. Resume lathering your body in coconut oil and leave this one to the pros.

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2019 9:28 AM

Someone recently swore by aloe vera gel. Anyone use it? And?

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2019 9:31 AM

the goat milk products from Beekman 1802 are awesome, no harsh ingredients. check them out, 2 queens with a goat farm in the country.., kool guys.

by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2019 9:44 AM

Raquel Welch has extolled Bag Balm in the past. Anyone who grew up in the country or northern climates are probably familiar with the stuff. It's literally just petrolatum and lanolin, and is used as a balm for the udders on milk cows. It's thick and sticky stuff, and the idea of putting it on your face seems horrendous to me, but it does do wonders on small cuts/abrasions and chapped skin.

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2019 9:50 AM

Neutrogena has an under eye cream that's pretty good and disappears overnight so you don't wake up with soft little old lady face.

My partner swears by CeraVe.

by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2019 10:11 AM

[quote]check them out, 2 queens with a goat farm in the country.., kool guys.

New here?

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2019 10:37 AM

DL approved

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2019 11:04 AM

What's the best daily moisturizer that has at least an SPF of 15? I use Olay's or a generic version, but am open to suggestions for other options. Maybe one with higher than SPF15?

by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2019 2:52 PM

Cold pressed almond oil

by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2019 3:36 PM

I've just started using CeraVe face wash and the PM face lotion. The lotion has ceramides which helps to protect and moisturize skin without feeling heavy or greasy. So far, I like it. I got a terrible reaction from Cetaphil products.

by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2019 3:53 PM

[quote] 2 queens with a goat farm in the country.., kool guys.

We remember what idiots you were when you used to post here. You’re trust funders

by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2019 4:29 PM

I have dry itchy skin due to a medical condition and I use CeraVe anti itch body lotion which has a topical anesthetic in it. Works well

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2019 4:31 PM

Sophia Loren swore by olive oil - she literally bathed in it daily.

by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2019 4:34 PM

I like Paula's Choice products. They're fragrance free. I can't use anything with a perfumy smell to it.

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2019 4:44 PM

Thayer's witch hazel toner

Roc retinol correxion eye cream

by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2019 4:47 PM

[quote] Sophia Loren swore by olive oil - she literally bathed in it daily.

You’re not too savvy about celebrity PR, are you?

by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2019 4:48 PM

Same OP, my gran and mum used both. Ponds cold cream to wash your face is divine, so soft and clean afterwards. Pond’s dry skin cream, and Oil of Olay in the morning perfect. 2 generations, now 3, aren’t wrong. Beautiful complexions. But others can pay for LaMer or whatever bs they want but Ponds and OOO are just as good if not better.

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2019 4:48 PM

I have 5-6 products at home that I alternate depending on the need of my skin. CeRave is a great line, but so is Eucerin. When my skin is sensitive (and the ingredients in CeRave seem to irritate it) I switch to Eucerin. Granted, cream from the Eucerin tub is *work," but it is perhaps the best hydrator/protector I've used.

I also like Emu Oil and pure hyaluronic acid.

by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2019 5:14 PM

Any suggestions for reducing puffy bags under the eyes? Something easily found in my local CVS or Walgreens that won't break the bank.

by Anonymousreply 20June 2, 2019 5:23 PM

Puffy bags under the eyes are made of fat and only surgery can help them.

by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2019 5:27 PM

Curel lotion best by far for dry skin.

by Anonymousreply 22June 2, 2019 5:28 PM

I'm thinking of trying this since I need the SPF. I have a 40% off coupon for CVS so I'm gonna pick some up today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 2, 2019 6:11 PM

Another vote for the Eucerin product line.

R19, in a surprise, Walmart's "compare to eucerin moisturizing creme," the equate beauty "therapeutic dry skin creme" tub/jar/crock, is creamier than the equivalent Eucerin tub for about 60% of the price. Not as much work to use.

There's always plain petroleum jelly, too. Gross if you're cuddling but works incredibly well for its price.

by Anonymousreply 24June 2, 2019 6:40 PM

We put Neem oil cream on our face and neck every night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 2, 2019 6:49 PM

A lot of those broad spectrum moisturizers protect against UVB rays but not really UVA ones. I think you have to go to another country to get that.

by Anonymousreply 26June 2, 2019 6:49 PM

Puffy bags under eyes - Preparation H. Honestly. I think 90% of the facial creams/lotions/elixirs are BS - most seem to make no difference for me. But Preparation H is like a miracle drug for baggy or droopy eyes.

by Anonymousreply 27June 2, 2019 7:05 PM

r23, I recommend that product. I'm horrible and lazy about skin care, but I put some of that on every morning. It doesn't a residue or heavy feeling.

At night, I use generic witch hazel as a toner and splash some water on my face.

by Anonymousreply 28June 2, 2019 7:08 PM

R27 I can't imagine using Preparation H on the delicate skin around the eyes on the regular is the best idea. How often do you do that?

by Anonymousreply 29June 2, 2019 7:45 PM

Cetaphil Pro Restoraderm Gentle Body Moisturizer

CeraVe PM

CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser

CeraVe Moisturing Lotion

CeraVe Healing Ointment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2019 7:52 PM

Not sure regular use of Prep H is great idea. But damn it works fast and well. None of the “eye serums” I’ve ever used did anything significant. Waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 31June 2, 2019 7:57 PM

Now, are these all for moisturizing, or do some of them remove sun damage and the like? That's what I'm looking for, having grown up in a time when we didn't know about sunscreen.

by Anonymousreply 32June 2, 2019 8:03 PM

Prep h is horrible! Caused pimples around my fuckin eyes!

by Anonymousreply 33June 2, 2019 8:09 PM

r32

CeraVe PM and Cetaphil Pro (body) both contain niacinamide which can help repair past damage, improve the appearance of enlarged pores, uneven skin tone, fine lines and wrinkles, dullness, and a weakened surface.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 2, 2019 8:12 PM

[QUOTE]Sophia Loren swore by olive oil - she literally bathed in it daily

She's right. I've used all of the drugstore brands and nothing comes close to extra virgin olive oil, specially for the hands.

by Anonymousreply 35June 2, 2019 8:14 PM

You can't put anything too greasy or oily or heavy creams under the eyes. It only makes the bags looks worse. SubQ eyes from Deciem really works and you only need a drop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 2, 2019 9:11 PM

R27, people won't know you have baggy eyes, 'cause the smell of Preparation H keeps them far away.

by Anonymousreply 37June 2, 2019 9:28 PM

[QUOTE] people won't know you have baggy eyes, 'cause the smell of Preparation H keeps them far away.

Also, if you're a bottom you wont get any action because tops will assume you have nasty hemorrhoids.

by Anonymousreply 38June 2, 2019 9:32 PM

This is not really a drugstore product; however, you can find a smaller version in an orange tube on Ebay for around $12. I have been using it for years and it really reduces my eye bags and dark circles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 2, 2019 9:36 PM

You guys are all poor going to drugstores? Geeze Eldergays...

by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2019 9:41 PM

Aquaphor is great if you have healing abrasions or lacerations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 2, 2019 11:15 PM

Weleda calendula soap soothes irritated skin. I've bought it at Whole Foods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 2, 2019 11:17 PM

Astral cream is amazing. It is a great hack for Charlotte Tilbury cream, which is stupidly expensive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 2, 2019 11:26 PM

I second the kudos for Astral. It moisturizes extremely well and it lasts a long time. It's great for people in dry climates/dry indoor conditions. Plus it's relatively cheap - especially if you're in the UK (it's a British product that's been around for about 60 years; it'd be nice if Astral were more widely available on North American shelves). Even with shipping costs (Amazon, eBay), Astral is still fairly reasonable compared to a lot of its competitors out there. Joanna Lumley swears by it for her skincare routine.

The only downside? The floral, powdery 'old lady scent'. Fortunately, it fades.

by Anonymousreply 44June 2, 2019 11:37 PM

I've honestly always found Neutrogena products to be very high-quality; probably the best you can get from basic drugstores. They have a "Naturals" line with some great face washes with willowbark that do wonders on keeping my skin clear.

by Anonymousreply 45June 3, 2019 3:07 AM

Oil of Olay

by Anonymousreply 46June 3, 2019 3:12 AM

No.7 from the UK Boots drugstore is good. They sold it in Target, here in the US. I think it is now sold at Walgreens, because they are now the same company.

by Anonymousreply 47June 3, 2019 3:16 AM

For those who need cheap, but very good hypoallergenic stuff, I highly recommend Simply Sensitive by Boots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 3, 2019 3:17 AM

St. Ives products. Burt’s Bees, too.

by Anonymousreply 49June 3, 2019 3:22 AM

Burt's Bees makes great lipbalms

by Anonymousreply 50June 3, 2019 3:25 AM

To get rid of sun damage, you can always buy a peel. I use 25% TCA every once in awhile to rid myself of age spots, brown spots and freckles.

I suggest you water it down the first time to 10 or 12 percent, then build up to 25%. You'll need to either not care about the way your face looks or take a week off from work (vacation is a good time) because the peeling can be grotesque at higher percentages.

Be very careful to follow the instructions, and use either an antibiotic or emu oil for healing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 3, 2019 8:45 AM

Mae West applied fresh leche from teenage youths.

by Anonymousreply 52June 3, 2019 9:01 AM

Refrigerated Ponds

by Anonymousreply 53June 3, 2019 9:05 AM

The Ordinary products are exceptional for the price.

Neutrogena hydro boost gel is a really good lightweight moisturizer.

by Anonymousreply 54June 3, 2019 10:35 AM

Palmer's Moisture Rich Night Cream

Palmer's Coconut Oil Body Lotion

by Anonymousreply 55June 3, 2019 11:03 AM

check them out, 2 queens with a goat farm in the country.., kool guys. New here?

Alert Alert - My newest find for achy hands, extremely sore muscles after a workout, etc is "Two Old Goats" lotion. Lowest price is less than $10 per 4 oz bottle. I have an 8 oz one on order. It is that good. And all natural herbs. Walmart has best prices and some are free shipping. It is sold in stores in the south and east - mfr is in Texas. It is not greasy at all and is dry in no time. I would not recommend any of you naughty boys using it on a private part.

by Anonymousreply 56June 3, 2019 11:18 AM

I have ordered body crème from Beekman 1802. high quality, they sell on HSN sometimes, their story is fascinating...city slickers who moved to a farm with goats and began making products using the milk, good stuff.

highly recommend.

by Anonymousreply 57June 3, 2019 2:58 PM

I've been using Vaseline Aloe Vera Intensive Care on my face and body for years. It's very light, and leaves no greasy residue or discernable odor, unlike cocoa butter.

I also shower with Nivea Cream Moisture body wash, which is also very light and non-odorous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 3, 2019 3:20 PM

We cannot use any of the commercial products due to our extreme sensitivity to perfumes and chemicals.

by Anonymousreply 59June 4, 2019 9:32 AM

[quote]Raquel Welch has extolled Bag Balm in the past.

I second that. Not sure about the face but my podiatrist recommended that when I wanted something for my cracked feet. I tired lotions, expensive foot creams but nothing worked as well as the cheap stuff. Literally overnight I could see a big difference. Only down side, it smells like motor oil. Don't expect it to smell like flowers.

Its has 8-hydroxyquinoline sulfate 0.3% (antiseptic) in a petroleum jelly USP and lanolin base. Great for anywhere on the body with dry cracked skin. Not sure if it would work on wrinkles, that's not really caused by dryness as much as sun damage and age.

by Anonymousreply 60June 4, 2019 10:23 AM

Differin

by Anonymousreply 61June 4, 2019 4:58 PM

Australian Gold mineral sunscreen

by Anonymousreply 62June 5, 2019 5:42 PM

The Australian Gold sunscreens are good, I use them sometimes. I prefer Japanese drugstore brands that are not mineral.

CeraVe is a great line, all their products are good. You can also add things to them if you want to use them as a base. I add peptides, sea kelp bioferment (the "magic" in La Mer), and other stuff as my skin needs it.

I do a peel occasionally. I also use some Japanese moisturizers at times, nothing terribly fancy, and some Korean hydrating toners.

by Anonymousreply 63June 5, 2019 6:38 PM

I second the Ordinary line. Great stuff.

by Anonymousreply 64June 5, 2019 9:12 PM

No love for us?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 5, 2019 9:21 PM

What country was Queen Helene the queen of?

by Anonymousreply 66June 5, 2019 9:35 PM

R65- HOLY SHIT they really made the packaging look like La Prairie!!! That logo!And the Caviar thing is begging for a lawsuit!!!

by Anonymousreply 67June 5, 2019 9:36 PM

My mother used Ponds cold cream all the time and when she was in her 70s, she had the skin of a 30 year old. Smooth and hardly any wrinkles.

I've been looking in the drug store for something for rosacea because I've tried the stuff for acne and it doesn't really do much.

by Anonymousreply 68June 5, 2019 10:35 PM

I don't know about finding it at the drugstore but you need to find some Azelaic Acid, R68.

The Ordinary does one, I think Good Molecules does one too, neither is expensive but I don't believe they are found in the drugstore.

by Anonymousreply 69June 5, 2019 10:42 PM

I love the Azelaic Acid from The Ordinary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 6, 2019 1:56 AM

R68,acne products are going to aggravate rocesea big time. You'll have to change your thinking about skincare.I have the kind that causes acne like pimples.I have to use metronidazole cream (prescription),and mild fragrance free skincare like Cerave.Recently I've been cautiously using a low strength retinol,and it has really helped.

by Anonymousreply 71June 6, 2019 3:40 AM

Another vote for Ponds. My grandmother also used their cold cream regularly and had amazing skin until she passed in her eighties. I've heard many women swear by it, and tend to be of the opinion that "where there's smoke, there's fire." I get very dry skin, especially during the winter months, and find that their regular moisturizing cream helps my face a lot with chapping and dryness. I believe their formula has beeswax in it, which I've heard is also very good for the skin.

by Anonymousreply 72June 6, 2019 9:49 AM

r72, it's cheap, greasy, shit. It clogs pores too.

by Anonymousreply 73June 6, 2019 9:59 AM

I've never had that problem, R73. It claims to be non-comedogenic and I've found that to be that case for me. I've never had a breakout or gotten blackheads while using it. It is a bit heavy in texture, but I've found over the years that creams/lotions that tend to be heavier also tend to work better.

by Anonymousreply 74June 6, 2019 10:02 AM

I like original Nivea cream (the stuff in the tin/jar, not the pump bottle, which has a much runnier texture). It has a nice floral scent and does wonders on chapped elbows, knees, etc. It's a greasy and thick lotion, but it works. I don't know about putting it on the face though.

by Anonymousreply 75June 6, 2019 10:05 AM

The person with the best skin I've ever seen uses Vaseline. Not the lotion, the petroleum jelly.

by Anonymousreply 76June 6, 2019 10:21 AM

^^^ this sort of speaks to what R74 said. Vaseline is a thick occlusive and holds in moisture. Bag Balm, which someone mentioned Raquel Welch championing upthread, is plain petrolatum with lanolin and a mild antiseptic added. Maybe there is something to be said for it.

by Anonymousreply 77June 6, 2019 10:25 AM

R68 The Ordinary Azeliac Acid has been wonderful for my rosacea (it's like $10) in just 10 days of using on my rosacea flaring areas, my skin is now smooth, still a little red but bumps are almost gone.

Does anyone use the niacinamide? I'm not sure what it should be doing...? Using currently on the rosacea free areas of my face at night .

by Anonymousreply 78June 6, 2019 10:32 AM

i have acne prone skin and use glyderm gel cleanser with glycolic acid in it.

by Anonymousreply 79June 6, 2019 10:38 AM

do they still make OJ's Beauty Lotion? had tons of witch hazel. granny used it till 92 and had the skin of a 22 yr old. smelled so good, like her bathroom, with hints of Evening in Paris and Noxzema..... miss u so much granny, rest in peace in paris .

by Anonymousreply 80June 6, 2019 2:04 PM

I use a variety of facial skin care cleansers, moisturizers, and acids that I see already mentioned on this thread.

But one tip I discovered is I learned to occasionally (and I mean once every two weeks, maybe even once a month) using plain IVORY bar soap on my face. I get the impression that all these things loaded with emollients , combined with the lotions and everything else, are creating an accumulative effect on my face and aren't getting pulled off and out of my pores properly with mild gentle cleansers.* Occasionally they need a hardcore but not too-hardcore regular strong cleanser to give it a once-over. I always keep a bar in the shower and once a month wash my face with it instead of Neutrogena Foaming Face Wash (my go-to). Afterwards I really double-down on the facial moisturizer, using more than usual and gently rubbing it in much longer. The results are always remarkable! Seems to wipe the palette clean and my face looks even better for a day or two. But don't do it more than once a month-ish. Do it two days in a row and you'll already see the bad drying effects no matter how much moisturizer you use.

*This doesn't include steaming my face to clean the pores. A process I do about five times a year that takes an hour and is a whole complicated ritual I con't go into here.

by Anonymousreply 81June 6, 2019 3:09 PM

Petroleum jelly works. My only concern is carcinogens (it is refined from gas basically). But damn that stuff works unlike anything else I’ve used. It all seems like fake elixirs.

by Anonymousreply 82June 6, 2019 3:38 PM

Pond's skincare products for the Mexican market have a cult following.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 6, 2019 4:07 PM

I have been using Nivea in the blue tin (as mentioned above) for years at night, and am 43 with nary a line on my face. No crow's feet, no forehead lines, nothing. Of course, I used to read Sassy magazine (RIP) as a very young thing, and learned about skincare and moisturizing since before I was even a teenager, so that also has a lot to do with it. I currently wash with Burt's Bees oil cleanser, slather on the Nivea, and top it with some facial oil to lock it all in. I remember an interview with Rashida Jones where she said the best beauty advice she ever got from her mother, Peggy Lipton, was "moisturize, moisturize, moisturize, and start young."

I also drink 4 litres of water per day and gave up all my bad habits before I turned 40, which was mainly just alcohol and red meat.

For the ladies: Vaseline is not good for women, as it encourages hair growth on the face. This is what Marilyn Monroe used to use, and the light coating of down on her face apparently reflected lighting well and made her look luminous in photographs...but in ordinary daylight, no woman wants a face full of peach fuzz.

by Anonymousreply 84June 6, 2019 4:18 PM

There is nothing in Vaseline that will make you magically grow hair on your face

by Anonymousreply 85June 6, 2019 4:46 PM

Dear God - i can’t imagine spending all that time on my skin. I barely brush and floss. I can’t imagine spending my 20s obsessively moisturizing.

by Anonymousreply 86June 6, 2019 5:15 PM

It takes like 30 seconds to put moisturizer on your face

by Anonymousreply 87June 6, 2019 5:20 PM

I second Paula's Choice. I heard about it on DL. She also tests and rates other products (that is how she started out before making her own line). Most of the brand's she rates highly have been mentioned, especially Olay, which unfortunately always breaks out my oily skin. Another one she rates high is ROC. But I have been pleased with her own line.

by Anonymousreply 88June 6, 2019 6:20 PM

I use the Paula's choice hydrating cleanser and the chia moisturizer. Both are awesome.

by Anonymousreply 89June 6, 2019 7:40 PM

R86 it takes maybe 15 seconds to rub lotion on your face. It's exponentially easier than brushing your teeth.

by Anonymousreply 90June 6, 2019 9:19 PM

R84 I learned the importance of moisturizing my face in my early-twenties (turning 29 at the end of this month). In my early twenties I was still suffering from acne and couldn't understand why. One of my female friends asked me if I ever moisturized my face. I of course had not, as nobody ever really told me to. I'd used a significant number of face washes and scrubs, but they were inadvertently drying my skin out, and thus triggering breakouts. I started using face lotion and ever since then, my skin has looked fantastic. I used to especially get breakouts after shaving, but that too has stopped. I just make sure to put on a moisturizer/aftershave lotion when I'm done shaving—no more breakouts or irritated skin! I really think moisturizing your face is an oversight for most men, simply because we're never told the importance of it and/or it's considered "girly" so straight bros tend to avoid it. I almost think it's more important for men since we have to shave our faces, but so many are completely lackadaisical about this kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 91June 6, 2019 9:27 PM

I've tried most of the usual drugstore brands as I had terrible combination skin. Cerave was recommended but broke me out even more. I got rid of my face wash and that helped. I now use glycerin soap to wash my face. Aveeno or Neutrogena body lotion is kind of heavy but helps keep the dry patches away on my face. The only other thing I use is sunscreen - Neutrogena Clear Face absorbs well and isn't greasy.

by Anonymousreply 92June 6, 2019 9:53 PM

It's just "Olay" now R18. "Oil of Olay" hasn't existed since 1999.

by Anonymousreply 93June 6, 2019 10:01 PM

R3 Aloe gel was okay for me. I used it only in the summer. It stung my face for a few minutes when I applied it. It can also feel very slightly sticky. Some formulas have a large amount of denatured alcohol which will dry out your skin, so those are to be avoided.

by Anonymousreply 94June 6, 2019 10:02 PM

This was just posted last week with the same picture and the same title.

by Anonymousreply 95June 6, 2019 10:04 PM

Less is more. All that cleansing, scrubbing, exfoliating, masks, hydrating means you do a lot of rubbing and stretching of the skin. I know older guys who have great skin and all they ever used was water and soap!

Think about it. Imagine you have two car seats sitting in the garage for 20 years. One daily rubbed with oils, scrubs, mud treatments, washings ect. The other left untouched. No matter how much you would like to think all that daily car extends the life of the leather, the untouched one will have zero signs of wear and tear and wrinkles.

by Anonymousreply 96June 6, 2019 10:50 PM

[quote]It's just "Olay" now [R18]. "Oil of Olay" hasn't existed since 1999.

How about Oil of the Turtle?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 6, 2019 10:52 PM

R96 while I agree that multiproduct skin regimens can actually make your skin more irritated, I don't think skipping moisturizer will lead to better skin. As we age our skin is drier and moisturizers do help maintain its function. The elderly stop doing moisturizing (or never did do it) and so many of them have such dry irritated flaky skin, with a greater propensity to develop skin infections. Moderation is key.

by Anonymousreply 98June 6, 2019 11:47 PM

I second that. Not sure about the face but my podiatrist recommended that when I wanted something for my cracked feet.

This stuff is excellent. Just put it on your feet before bedtime & put on a pair of socks.

Make sure you get the foot exfoliant, though. They also put out a nail fungus cream & you don’t want that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99June 7, 2019 12:20 AM

^^^^^^

Found in the foot section in drugstores, Walmart, Target, etc

by Anonymousreply 100June 7, 2019 12:21 AM

Cheap as hell and the best I have ever used! Don't believe me? Read the reviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 7, 2019 1:55 AM

Neutrogena Hydro Boost. I swear by that stuff. I have dermatitis and I can tell if I run out and don’t buy it for a few days. It feels delightfully cool too.

by Anonymousreply 102June 7, 2019 2:20 AM

r99, rub that stuff on your face. let me know how it goes.

by Anonymousreply 103June 7, 2019 9:14 AM

Nizoral anti dundruff shampoo is excellent for those suffering from Seb Dermatitis on the scalp and face. It contains Ketoconazole which I also get in RX cream form for the seb derm, redness and breakouts on my face. It is always in stock at every pharmacy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104June 8, 2019 12:41 AM

Hibiclens anti septic skin cleanser. I buy the Walgreens version which is cheaper and works the same. I use this when shaving to prevent infections due to cuts & ingrown hairs. As an added bonus I’ve also noticed it has cleared up acne and prevented acne flare ups- most likely caused by skin bacteria. Just make sure not to get it in your eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 8, 2019 12:45 AM

I second r102 praise of Neutrogena Hydroboost gel cream moisturizer with hyaluronic acid. My dermatologist had samples of this at his office and I’ve been hooked since. I have very oily skin so water based gel moisturizers are my best option for daily facial moisturizers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 8, 2019 12:52 AM

The Ordinary caffeine solution is the only thing that has worked to reduce the appearance of my puffy malar bags.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 8, 2019 12:57 AM

Sounds weird, but Johnson's baby shampoo and/or baby wash.

I also second what R96 wrote.

As a teen and early 20-something, I used to be a so-called "skincare junkie" who religiously used masks, treatments, fancy cleansers, creams, lotions and potions of every sort, etc. I still suffered from breakouts, combination skin, irritation, milia under the eyes, etc. etc.

In my mid-20's, I got lazy. Now the only time my face gets washed is when I rinse the baby shampoo out of my hair in the shower every evening, and the only thing I apply to my face is Differin gel on the T-zone a few times a week and jojoba oil when/where it could use some moisturizing (which is very rarely).

My teenage/early 20's self would be absolutely appalled, yet ironically my skin is the best it's ever been.

Now it turns out that supermodel Heidi Klum uses Johnson's to wash her face, and I also remember once reading in a magazine article that it's the only thing Tom Cruise will wash his hair with.

by Anonymousreply 108June 8, 2019 1:40 AM

My T-zone flakes like a bitch and I have doughboy skin. Any recs to tighten up my shit?

by Anonymousreply 109June 17, 2019 12:55 PM

I'm nearing 30 and have used Pond's moisturizing cream on my face a few times a week since I was around 19 years old, and I still have the skin of a teenager (minus the acne, of course). I have many friends my age who already have terrible wrinkles, crow's feet, etc. but I've somehow managed to retain youthful skin this far at least. I could chalk it up to genetics as both my parents have nice skin, but I can't help but think that the Pond's is somehow beneficial. I'm also religious about using sunscreen, which probably helps. Speaking of drugstore products, Neutrogena's 150 SPF sunscreen is great.

by Anonymousreply 110June 23, 2019 2:07 AM

[quote] I still have the skin of a teenager

You'd better give it back. You're getting it all wrinkled.

by Anonymousreply 111June 23, 2019 9:53 PM

r110, Ponds? really? lol

by Anonymousreply 112June 27, 2019 1:01 PM

Tea tree oil for rosacea

by Anonymousreply 113June 27, 2019 1:45 PM

I used to think my great skin was because of lotions too—but then I realized my parents both have amazing skin and they’re in their 80s.

It’s genetics

by Anonymousreply 114June 27, 2019 2:03 PM

I started using Neutrogena Hydroboost (water gel) this last week after reading the recommendations here. Great product. I could feel a difference in my oily, dermatitis prone skin immediately. I hope they don't start charging a fortune for it or discontinuing it.

by Anonymousreply 115July 2, 2019 2:53 AM

I used to like this Sea Breeze astringent (called toner now, I guess). Used to come in a cool, rectangular bottle. Really fresh smell and skin felt good afterwards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116July 2, 2019 3:14 AM

For years I've used a splash of distilled witchhazel/rosewater in a big cup of tepid water to cleanse & tone with nice results, but recently a friend came over and advised me not to use it anymore because it contains ethanol which longterm ages skin. I'm not sure if that's true, and if it is what I should switch to using. My budget is very low hence my simple routine which is DIY toning water + Eucerin cream + zinc sunscreen (every few weeks there's an almond oil cleanse or honey scrub in the mix, or when I feel fancy or I'm going out somewhere).

My witchhazel & rosewater bottles cost $4 each at the healthfood store and I can pick up my honey & oils there for cheap at the same time, so I'm not jazzed about having to switch to expensive chemical products. Is this bitch correct or can I get away with what I've been doing? It isn't like I exfoliate hard or tan or anything, though I guess I could cut it out with the boiling hot showers and towelling my face.

by Anonymousreply 117October 14, 2019 8:14 PM

Thayers witch hazel with lavender. Queen Helene English clay mask, and CeraVe cream cleanser for my bum.

by Anonymousreply 118October 14, 2019 8:28 PM

If you have to pick one which is more essential - glycolic, lactic or hyaluronic? Or something else?

Times are trifling and some of us can't afford 8-10 different skincare products as is the fashion right now.

by Anonymousreply 119October 14, 2019 9:56 PM

Anyone use Gold Bond? This stuff is amazing, and cheap as chips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120October 14, 2019 10:15 PM

Fuck you cheap bitches!

by Anonymousreply 121October 17, 2019 9:37 PM

Albolene.

by Anonymousreply 122October 17, 2019 9:48 PM

R119, glycolic acid and lactic acid are considered exfoliants. Lactic acid is more gentle on the skin, glycolic acid penetrates deeper, but it can cause irritation and redness. Start at a low percentage and work your way up. Hyaluronic acid is a moisturizer. It's clear and kind of watery. It feels very soothing on skin and can be used after applying the other acids.

by Anonymousreply 123October 17, 2019 10:06 PM

J'adore QUEEN HELENE Mint Julep Masque!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124October 17, 2019 10:11 PM

Queen Helene is good but I only do it about once a month when I don't have a gentleman caller and want to get soused and watch old movies.

In fact I ask my dermatologist for prescriptions for skin creams and what not because insurance pays and the products are good, tested, and fairly priced.

by Anonymousreply 125October 17, 2019 10:13 PM

I use Mario Badescu enzyme revitalizing mask once a week and their collagen mask once a week.

by Anonymousreply 126October 17, 2019 10:19 PM

The amount of money paid for skin care products does not correlate to their effectiveness. Hyaluronic Acid is probably the most research-based effective ingredient. As has been said several times - the Neutrogena product line of HydroBoost creams and gels is likely to most bang for the buck. Multi-product regimes make the skin worst for many. Wash, and immediately moisturize. Gee, I guess I must be stereotypical gay. Look at this shit I am posting on this board. Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 127October 17, 2019 10:33 PM

Ponds and Dove soap

by Anonymousreply 128October 17, 2019 10:56 PM

R127, that’s how my skin is. The less I do, the better. Every other day or two, I use a sulfur soap for my rosacea, and a Chanel moisturizer my sister gave me. I try not to mess with my skin otherwise. It’s happy with my benign neglect. No serums or facials, masques or foundation.

by Anonymousreply 129October 17, 2019 11:05 PM

Dermol 500 soap substitute is great. I've been using it for about 15 years.

It's antimicrobial & hydrating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130October 17, 2019 11:08 PM

I love Mario Badescu products. Lord & Taylor and Ulta have them and their website.

by Anonymousreply 131October 17, 2019 11:15 PM

Any recommendations for itchy taint?

by Anonymousreply 132October 17, 2019 11:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!