Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'GLOW' Season 3

[quote]The Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling are taking over Sin City. After a second season finale that put Netflix's acclaimed female wrestling comedy on a bus headed out of Hollywood, Netflix has revealed what GLOW will look like when it re-sets for round three in Las Vegas.

The 10-episode third season releases August 9.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255October 6, 2020 12:12 PM

Look at this shot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 31, 2019 3:16 PM

Bash looks like he has baby feet in this still. How many of you were dressed like this back in the day?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 31, 2019 3:18 PM

Really excited about this but its premiering much later than the last 2 seasons right?

by Anonymousreply 3May 31, 2019 3:23 PM

r3 Yes, one more month of waiting than usual.

by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2019 3:29 PM

Vegas should be a fun way to keep things fresh.

by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2019 3:42 PM

Omg, Geena Davis is joining the cast!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 10, 2019 3:50 PM

Season one was meh to me but I loved Season Two.

by Anonymousreply 7June 10, 2019 3:57 PM

Trailer!

It looks genuinely amazing, just like the first two seasons. And is Bash getting a proper boyfriend, finally?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2019 2:49 PM

It's out today! Can't believe they opened it with the Challenger disaster... genius!

by Anonymousreply 9August 9, 2019 12:00 PM

I didn't realize it was out today. I know what I'll be doing tommorow.

by Anonymousreply 10August 9, 2019 12:15 PM

Burning through this like nobody's business and of course I'll regret it tomorrow. On the fifth episode right now and I don't know what the critics were smoking when they said the third season goes off the rails - I think it might be the best one yet! It's also gayer than ever.

And it's so deeply sexy; was not expecting to see so many male asses and a full frontal. I swear I saw the valet's hole at one point as well. Good for Gilpin and Brie for showing off their fantastic tits.

by Anonymousreply 11August 9, 2019 4:07 PM

anything gay when it comes to Bash?

by Anonymousreply 12August 9, 2019 4:17 PM

r12 Yes, but... I don't like posting hard spoilers within the first 24 hours of a bingeable show dropping. So maybe let's wait for tomorrow so someone doesn't get accidentally spoiled while checking out this thread.

by Anonymousreply 13August 9, 2019 4:24 PM

Fuck Netflix for de-gaying Bash. It's unforgivable. I'll cancel my Netflix subscription.

by Anonymousreply 14August 9, 2019 5:15 PM

How is Bash even remotely gay? he was fucking a woman in season two (his wife) and it seemed like he liked it too.

by Anonymousreply 15August 9, 2019 5:17 PM

Sorry, meant EPISODE two, not season.

by Anonymousreply 16August 9, 2019 5:17 PM

Finished it just now. Damn, this show is more perfect than ever. I never imagined this season would be as rainbow-y as it was. And good for Geena Davis for doing THAT. It did feature significantly less wrestling than the previous two seasons, so maybe that tripped the critics up a bit?

[bold]SPOILERS --- SPOILERS --- SPOILERS[/bold]

r14 You need to finish the season. Seriously, all is revealed. Let's just say the AIDS panic is a terrible thing but works perfectly for 1986. It wouldn't feel authentic to the time period if there wasn't some difficulty involved with a guy coming out, especially when he comes from a prominent conservative family. Even the lesbian storyline is pushing it a bit when it comes to full acceptance by the straight people.

And some gay men have sex with women before they come out. Some even have children. They're working slowly with Bash's arc so it feels more organic, but also... this is a show about the women of wrestling so of course the male characters should come second, even when they're gay.

by Anonymousreply 17August 9, 2019 9:53 PM

Great full frontal with the male prostitute. Not feeling the Vegas move. Loving Geena Davis Not reading R17 until I’m done. Thank you for the spoiler alert. You are a gentleman, sir

by Anonymousreply 18August 9, 2019 10:34 PM

I'll post the nudie screenshots in HD here tomorrow.

[quote]Not feeling the Vegas move.

Why? Are you fed you with Vegas in general or do you think it doesn't work specifically for this show?

by Anonymousreply 19August 9, 2019 10:38 PM

*fed up with Vegas

by Anonymousreply 20August 9, 2019 10:38 PM

I just moved to Las Vegas last year. Yep, fed up! 😉

by Anonymousreply 21August 9, 2019 10:41 PM

Also, I preferred the struggling actress aspect while they were in LA. Ruth was truly channeling Diane chamber in the first two seasons. Loved it

by Anonymousreply 22August 9, 2019 10:47 PM

What episode is the male prostitute scene?

by Anonymousreply 23August 9, 2019 11:20 PM

r23 One of the scenes with him is in the next episode.

by Anonymousreply 24August 9, 2019 11:26 PM

R23. Episode 3 I believe

by Anonymousreply 25August 9, 2019 11:42 PM

There's more than one hot scene with him, so it's hard to tell which one r23 was asking about.

by Anonymousreply 26August 10, 2019 12:04 AM

The fabulousness that this has, the towering presence that this has, the supremacy that this has...

Imagine having Geena Davis as your boss. 💀

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 10, 2019 12:28 AM

Chris Lowell ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 10, 2019 12:31 AM

It's Allison Brie people tune in to see. Pete Campbell didn't know when he had it good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 10, 2019 1:02 AM

I never liked Allison Brie but she’s good on this show and her and Betty Gilpin have beautiful bodies.

Chris Lowell is boring and generic but has a great ass.

by Anonymousreply 30August 10, 2019 1:29 AM

Gilpin usually gets most of the acclaim when it comes to this show but Brie is right up there with her.

r30 I think his face is spectacular but his ass (and body) is just average and untoned.

by Anonymousreply 31August 10, 2019 1:35 AM

R31 see I don’t see spectacular when I see his face. He’s very average to me.

by Anonymousreply 32August 10, 2019 1:38 AM

Chris seems to be super into photography and has deleted most of the old photos of himself, including a gorgeous one that I posted on DL some time ago where he jumps naked into a lake. So that sucks.

r32 Well, I'm just a lowly 7 on a good day, which of course colours my perception of what constitutes spectacular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 10, 2019 1:47 AM

Just finished it. I think season 2 is still my fave, but 3 was still excellent. Maybe it’s the time jump that threw it off kilter ever so slightly. No spoilers but there *definitely* needs to be a fourth season. SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Gotta see what new characters they come up with!

by Anonymousreply 34August 10, 2019 2:24 AM

[quote]Maybe it’s the time jump that threw it off kilter ever so slightly.

Looking back now, there were several time jumps during the course of this season that seemed pretty jarring as I felt like they pushed me out as a viewer from seeing their relationships develop during that time. Though I understand that a Vegas residency isn't a one month thing, so they needed to work around that a bit if they wanted to wrap it up by the end of the season.

by Anonymousreply 35August 10, 2019 2:31 AM

Weird season with the time jumps.

SPOILERS

The whole drag queen story was kind of intrusive. I mean gay content is expected and welcome especially with Bash and Arthie and Yolanda and all but I just didn't get with Sheila and her need for her mentor. And why would Sheila be bleaching her hair blond just to cover it up with her wolf wig. The hate crime was heavy handed and too lecturing. I like this show when it gets it's point across in a sarcastic hard hearted way but that was all too pointed.

I would tell Rhonda to run like hell but there's that 40M to think about. And I hated Sam's story and Ruth's issues with acting. Debbie is the bomb. Didn't see the prostitution switcheroo coming, loved that exchange. Geena was a stiff but major credit for the costume.

Overall this was my least favorite season.

by Anonymousreply 36August 10, 2019 2:52 AM

Allison looks like she gained backed some of the weight. Geena looks great for her age.

by Anonymousreply 37August 10, 2019 3:13 AM

Geena has always been gorgeous.

Betty is 1000x better on this show than Allison.

by Anonymousreply 38August 10, 2019 3:14 AM

Why is Ruth such a cunt?

by Anonymousreply 39August 10, 2019 9:43 AM

[quote]And I hated Sam's story and Ruth's issues with acting.

I loved Ruth's issues with her acting career as it was so messy, just like real life. But I'm going through something similar right now so perhaps it spoke to me more because of that.

by Anonymousreply 40August 10, 2019 9:56 AM

r39 You know, I could totally understand where she was coming from in all her instances of being a cunt towards her boyfriend (ugh!), Marron's character, and Debbie at the end. She's never a cunt for the sake of being a cunt, is what I'm saying. It always makes sense in the moment.

by Anonymousreply 41August 10, 2019 9:59 AM

Between She-Ra and this, Netflix is really knocking it out the park!

Just watched all 10 episodes back to back.

SPOILERS..... . . . . . . . Anyone else cry like a baby when Cherry's husband popped back up as the Santa?

PS... I want to see Carmen's brother (played by Carlito) get naked next season. He had a really nice ass in those shorts when he was in the ring with his sister.

by Anonymousreply 42August 10, 2019 10:25 AM

Yeah, Carlito caught my eye as well.

by Anonymousreply 43August 10, 2019 10:29 AM

Why should bash be gay. Leave bash alone. I hope they continue to portray him as an heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 44August 10, 2019 11:09 AM

He might be bi, not gay. Though I doubt it; I think he's a full on homo. But definitely not straight.

Also, what are you doing on DL, r44?

by Anonymousreply 45August 10, 2019 11:12 AM

Those too are amazing trans examples.

by Anonymousreply 46August 10, 2019 11:17 AM

No mention of Liza Minelli?

That was pure comedy gold!

Ref: 1 - 2 - 3...

Sheila as Liza: ...a 5 6 7 8....

by Anonymousreply 47August 10, 2019 11:30 AM

I didn't want to spoil anything yesterday but yes, I couldn't believe we got Liza in the wrestling ring! I squealed throughout that scene. Sheila - and the actress playing her - was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 48August 10, 2019 11:39 AM

Not just Liza but drunk Liza! Wearing a dress from Liza With A Z when she lip synched "I Gotcha."

by Anonymousreply 49August 10, 2019 12:17 PM

Who cares about Liza.

I find Ruth boring. She’s a boring character. That’s probably why Allison gets almost no love while Betty gets a ton. Betty adds layers to Debbie and never feels boring. Ruth always feels one not and boring.

And that’s fine because some people are just boring. It’s realistic.

If they want a gay character they can create a gay character. There is no reason to take an established straight character and make him gay.

by Anonymousreply 50August 10, 2019 12:46 PM

I hated this season. Bash is having WAY too much sex with a woman for a supposed "gay" guy. The AIDS crisis does not explain why he LIKED it. He obviously did. Bash is NOT gay, at most he's bisexual. The show did a terrible job conveying that he didn't like it, if he indeed is gay. I think it's far more likely that Bash is bisexual. Also, it's very convenient they made up another bullshit excuse to keep Bash closeted in a marriage with a woman. So now he wants kids?!?! LOL, sure Jan. Like that wasn't offensive enough, the lesbians on the show got more explicit sex scenes and they got the happy treatment. The lesbians are fun and happy and out and everything is perfect while the "gay" (LOL, more like bi) guy is so miserable he was lying on the floor crying. Yeah, GREAT season! LOL. I seriously wonder what it wrong with Datalounge sometimes. They think THIS season was great and not at all offensive! WTF?! Take off your blindfolds fucking assholes. The season was borderline homophobic and offensive. I can't believe Netflix did this after Stranger Things, another show where the gay guy is deeply closeted while the lesbian is happy and out, OF COURSE. I hate Netflix. They do a TERRIBLE job with gay (male) storylines. Most of their gay storylines are offensive. I will probably cancel my subscription. I'm just so sick of this shit.

by Anonymousreply 51August 10, 2019 12:54 PM

Established straight? Bash?!

by Anonymousreply 52August 10, 2019 12:59 PM

Gay men are still looked down upon while lesbians overall accepted r51. Welcome to real life.

by Anonymousreply 53August 10, 2019 1:03 PM

Haha, loved the drain the spaghetti line.

by Anonymousreply 54August 10, 2019 1:13 PM

[quote]The AIDS crisis does not explain why he LIKED it. He obviously did.

Pussy feels good. There are plenty of gay men who quite liked having sex with women before coming out, to the point of fathering children. But Bash clearly looked reborn and ecstatic when that guy kissed him and jerked him off. It was obviously on another level entirely, and something he hadn't imagined existed beforehand. The fact that he didn't have sex with his new wife for months at a time is a big red flag. That simply doesn't happen within the first year of a marriage between a young straight couple.

Some people really need to calm down. Most gay men have been closed throughout history and they still are in 2019. So of course the closet would be even more pronounced in 1986 than it is today.

[quote]The lesbians are fun and happy and out and everything is perfect while the "gay" (LOL, more like bi) guy is so miserable he was lying on the floor crying.

The lesbians weren't dropping like flies of AIDS at the time, Rose. It is shocking to me that you don't appear to understand that about fairly recent historical events.

by Anonymousreply 55August 10, 2019 1:51 PM

it's been well over 24 hours, can someone give the spoilers on Bash for this season

by Anonymousreply 56August 10, 2019 3:04 PM

r56 Wife decides to spice up things up in the bedroom (because they stopped having sex) and invites a male gigolo to make Bash jealous and ignite some passion in him. They end up having a threesome, Bash kisses his first guy and gets jerked off by him, REALLY likes it, freaks out, but then decides to remain in the closet because he's from a well-known conservative family and fears his mom would cut him off from the millions he received form his late father. Continues next season if it gets renewed.

Oh, and a gay guy flirts with him earlier in the season and he freaks out and becomes an asshole to him.

by Anonymousreply 57August 10, 2019 3:14 PM

Bash freaking out is realistic. Him deciding to stay in the closet in 1985 is also realistic.

Why is this asshole on here flipping out?

by Anonymousreply 58August 10, 2019 3:16 PM

The money is his outright now. He no longer has a fear of being cut off.

by Anonymousreply 59August 10, 2019 3:21 PM

It’s not all about money. And him being “out” in 1985 would affect his life GREATLY.

by Anonymousreply 60August 10, 2019 3:23 PM

r59 His mother knows the marriage was a green card scam. She could shut that shit down overnight if she wanted.

by Anonymousreply 61August 10, 2019 3:27 PM

Love the gigolo's bush and middle-age spread, and he's obviously a grower.

The actor, Nick Clifford, is so handsome. Handsome and straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 10, 2019 3:29 PM

I believe this season takes place in 1986 and it ends in 1987.

R57, I'd say he wasn't jealous during that scene which was unexpectedly hot. He was checking out the guy nearly the entire time. They made a point to have him stare at him while the guy was doing thing with his wife. He then becomes embarrassed because he's scared everyone knows he was more into the guy than his wife including his wife who "watched" him and set the whole thing up. He thinks it's because she suspects he's gay but she was was doing it because she thinks he gets jealous of other men.

He also knows that he's not "entirely" straight because he says he will do it again with some other guy. This isn't a one time thing.

Bash is a deeply damaged character. It's not just him being closeted and pushing away anyone that might suspect he's gay, it's also his general upbringing. He made a point to mention several times that his family is non-emotional as his wife said he doesn't even know how to handle money. He still doesn't want to disappoint his mother even with the 40 million he got that is his. He screws over other people at the drop of a hat. It's similar to Sam who loves his daughter but is a giant asshole the rest of the time.

by Anonymousreply 63August 10, 2019 3:31 PM

I enjoyed this season and was okay with less wrestling. It does get a bit tiresome and Vegas was a nice breather from LA. Geena Davis was funny. The threesome scene was hot.

by Anonymousreply 64August 10, 2019 3:35 PM

[quote]I'd say he wasn't jealous during that scene which was unexpectedly hot. He was checking out the guy nearly the entire time.

Yes, I said that was his wife's intention. She saw how he reacted earlier with that guy who was teaching her how to ride a bike, and thought jealousy was what made Bash hot and bothered. She's obviously a bit clueless. A *very* kind person, but not that perceptive. I mean, I can't exactly fault her for not having a masters in male sexuality...

Agree that Bash is a bit stunted emotionally. Must have been suffocating, growing up under someone like Birdie.

by Anonymousreply 65August 10, 2019 3:36 PM

Was anyone else surprised that Debbie's bulimia didn't get addressed at all by the end? I thought it was going to turn into this huge thing.

by Anonymousreply 66August 10, 2019 3:38 PM

Bash is an awful character. Why are we sitting around discussing a lousy third tier character?

by Anonymousreply 67August 10, 2019 3:39 PM

R66 they will save it for next season.

by Anonymousreply 68August 10, 2019 3:39 PM

R63, it takes place throughout 1986, starting with the Challenger explosion and ending with Christmas. That annoying yenta says see you 87 at the airport.

by Anonymousreply 69August 10, 2019 3:41 PM

86 and 87 were no more accepting of gays than 85, dumbasses.

Gays still aren’t accepted the way we pretend we are, yet along 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 70August 10, 2019 3:43 PM

Elizabeth Perkins plays cold, cunty mother very well.

by Anonymousreply 71August 10, 2019 3:43 PM

yes, they are both trans MTF in OP's photo

by Anonymousreply 72August 10, 2019 3:44 PM

R71 she’s the best part of WEEDS

by Anonymousreply 73August 10, 2019 3:44 PM

Yes, the math is super easy to work out. Opens with Challenger, they extend their Vegas stay for nine months, and the season ends with a Christmas episode. All within one year.

r71 She was amazing. More striking than even Davis, I thought.

by Anonymousreply 74August 10, 2019 3:45 PM

r72 Can you please not pollute every single thread with your trans shit, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 75August 10, 2019 3:46 PM

R70, I was correcting R60 dumbass. Who said anything about acceptance? It was 1986. They said it was 1985.

Bash is gay, in a sham marriage and closeted.

Yolanda is gay but doesn't want anyone to know outside of the group because of how dangerous it is but she's not ashamed. She's just smart for that time period.

Arthie is gay and comes out & wears that rainbow hair band. Yolanda tells her when Arthie is wearing it at the airport, broadcasting it and says she's ready to fight for their rights that she "didn't learn anything from" her did she?

Aside from that:

Also it was great seeing Geena Davis again. I know she has a show but I've never watched it. I never felt like she ever got the respect she deserved.

And I always enjoy seeing Kia Stevens as Tammé. Since she's a former actual WWE wrestler, I continue to be impressed by her acting.

by Anonymousreply 76August 10, 2019 4:00 PM

The valet, played by Eric Lutz, was another piece of eye candy.

Small gallery at the link. And I was right - you can totally see his hole in the brightened version. 👀

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 10, 2019 4:28 PM

Bash had a costume closet in his house in the first season. He was never presented straight.

by Anonymousreply 78August 10, 2019 4:37 PM

r78 Exactly. But I actually saw some fraus pushing back against that idea when that costume closet scene aired, saying boys just like wrestling and that it doesn't necessarily mean anything, and how it's irresponsible (clock the hetero language!) to imply that every boy who is fascinated with male wrestlers will grow up gay. Which is of course true, but it's also not great to view TV characters as composites or pure averages of a certain demographic group. Otherwise, we'd never get to see gay characters on TV.

Also, this is obviously a TV show which uses strong female and queer lens to tell its stories. So if this show can't explore a gay male character obsessed with wrestling, then which one will? Besides, they already have Maron. That's more than enough straight content for me.

by Anonymousreply 79August 10, 2019 4:47 PM

You are a fucking idiot r50.

Bash has obviously been gay since day 1, and if you didn't pick up on that you really don't belong on this board. Literally when they did his home episode and introduced Florian they made it so obvious even my clueless straight male friend got it.

by Anonymousreply 80August 10, 2019 4:53 PM

[quote]You are a fucking idiot

An idiot and a blasphemer:

[quote]Who cares about Liza.

by Anonymousreply 81August 10, 2019 4:59 PM

[quote]The whole drag queen story was kind of intrusive. I mean gay content is expected and welcome especially with Bash and Arthie and Yolanda and all but I just didn't get with Sheila and her need for her mentor.

That was surprising to me but I learned in another thread yesterday that Vegas was big for the drag community back in the day (still is?). So it would have been weird to erase them during their stint in Vegas. And I very much enjoyed the drag queen's performances and that actor.

[quote]The hate crime was heavy handed and too lecturing. I like this show when it gets it's point across in a sarcastic hard hearted way but that was all too pointed.

It would be gross to treat a hate crime during the AIDS crisis in a sarcastic way, sorry. I appreciated this violent intrusion into their comfy world. That's exactly what a hate crime feels like. There's nothing subtle or subtextual about it.

by Anonymousreply 82August 10, 2019 5:13 PM

I read some more about this and I agree with LaToya's take on drag being featured this season. It really is a natural progression.

[quote]Much like Debbie had the “pro wrestling is soap operas” epiphany in season one—which is always how my mother explained pro wrestling in my youth, when she would expose me to both pro wrestling and soap operas—there is plenty of contemporary analysis that suggests professional wrestling and drag are two sides of the same coin. As someone who thinks a lot about professional wrestling and what it “is,” outside of just the machismo and the obvious surface level beliefs about it (like, for example, that every promo should sound like it’s been cut by either Hulk Hogan or “Macho Man” Randy Savage), I’ve never once thought the comparison between it and drag was out of left field. So for GLOW to use its new Las Vegas setting as a way to create that intersection, I consider it a natural progression.

As for Bash, I see now that it's not just AIDS panic or the fear of losing his millions, but also good old gay panic that is at play here.

[quote]Bash’s gay panic—which, in this case, is the panic of being found out as gay, that people can look at him and just [italic]know,[/italic] no matter how hard he tries to be “normal”—transforms him from Good Guy Bash to rich prick as soon as you can say “Liza Minnelli.” It’s an upsettingly natural transformation for Bash, because it’s his unhealthy coping (or lack of coping) mechanism when it comes to his sexuality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 10, 2019 5:47 PM

Imagine seeing in the script that you have to relay the Challenger disaster with your face and nothing else. And Betty Gilpin came through like a boss!

Here's Geena Davis, opening the season with a dirty line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 10, 2019 6:48 PM

Finished the 3rd season. I thought it was great, this show flies under the radar but I think it has been consistently strong.

As others have noted the show definitely became a lot gayer this season with the lesbian characters, the new drag queen character, and we finally seeing Bash explore his real sexuality on screen. I personally thought the drag queen character was great and fit in seamlessly with the show, and it lead to the Sheila as Liza Minelli scene which was fucking fantastic. Though I did think the fundraiser getting lit on fire with the "die faggots" graffiti felt a tad too message-y.

[quote]Betty is 1000x better on this show than Allison.

She is, and obviously the emmy voters feel that way too. Betty is always the one from the cast that gets singled out.

[quote]And good for Geena Davis for doing THAT.

Yes, I was agape at her rocking that showgirls outfit at 63. More power to her.

So nothing has changed for Bash, he is determined to "be straight". Sad, but realistic for a mama's boy from a conservative family in 1986. Now that Bash has had a taste though he is going to want more, not going to be able to stay faithful to Rhonda.

[quote]Bash is having WAY too much sex with a woman for a supposed "gay" guy.

Newsflash, tons of gay guys have had sex with women and married them. You seem clueless.

The "gigolo" character at first annoyed me because it was continuing the fairytale male escorts can really make a living off women, but it subverted that with his scene with Bash. Clearly he is no stranger to sleeping with men also. Also props to actor for going having no qualms about going full frontal with his modest endowment.

by Anonymousreply 85August 10, 2019 10:58 PM

The gigolo escorts for women and men. Whoever is willing to pay him well enough.

I’ve met someone like him and they were straight in their day to day life but if the money was right they would 100% sleep with a man. He was quite handsome. Blond, blue eyed and lean muscled.

Idk what’s become of him now. His Gf knew he would escort and didn’t care.

by Anonymousreply 86August 10, 2019 11:06 PM

[quote]Bash is an awful character. Why are we sitting around discussing a lousy third tier character?

Yes, I can't imagine why a gay board feels especially invested in the storyline of the gay character.

by Anonymousreply 87August 10, 2019 11:11 PM

He’s not even a gay character. He’s bi at most. He just discovered he liked sexual contact with another man. He still likes women also I bet.

As a bi man I can relate to that over him being full gay.

by Anonymousreply 88August 10, 2019 11:13 PM

Nah, Bash definitely already knew he liked guys, though this was presumably the first time he has put down the wall and allowed himself to act on it.

And the show is definitely saying he is gay, and doesn't get more clear than his comment to Rhonda that he didn't care if they had sex again.

by Anonymousreply 89August 10, 2019 11:16 PM

r87 From posters saying Bash doesn't matter, or that he's straight so they should find another character to be gay, or that they're straight-washing him because he has slept with a woman.... I really wonder about this place sometimes.

r88 He stopped having sex with his wife for months on end within the first year of their marriage. Even worse, they weren't dating beforehand, so they should be fucking non-stop. That is not normal behaviour and obviously tells you something about the character.

[quote]He just discovered he liked sexual contact with another man. He still likes women also I bet.

No, it's different; his brain has been rewired to where it should have been from the start if it weren't for his conservative family and the homophobic society. That's why he said "I really, REALLY liked it" to Debbie. It's game over for him.

by Anonymousreply 90August 10, 2019 11:18 PM

He’s bi.

by Anonymousreply 91August 10, 2019 11:20 PM

[quote]And the show is definitely saying he is gay, and doesn't get more clear than his comment to Rhonda that he didn't care if they had sex again.

I had forgotten about that line already but you're right, that line changes everything. Seriously, show me a bisexual man who says that to his wife basically during their honeymoon period. Bisexuals aren't sexless people.

by Anonymousreply 92August 10, 2019 11:20 PM

r91 Nope, he's a Cocksucking Gay Homosexual (TM).

by Anonymousreply 93August 10, 2019 11:21 PM

[quote] From posters saying Bash doesn't matter, or that he's straight so they should find another character to be gay, or that they're straight-washing him because he has slept with a woman.... I really wonder about this place sometimes.

We definitely get some questionable people here, but there are plenty of intelligent posters if wade through the mess.

by Anonymousreply 94August 10, 2019 11:26 PM

r94 Yes, I suppose. And discussion is always preferable to a dead thread.

by Anonymousreply 95August 10, 2019 11:29 PM

I finished watching the season this afternoon. I thought it was a bit uneven. I enjoyed the latter half a lot more, even though I think the show suffered with less Maron this time out. It got a little too earnest in several episodes. The camping episode felt simultaneously too woke, with all of the 'which ethnicity suffered more' conversation, but also quite moving in many of the scenes.

Interestingly enough, I lived in Las Vegan from '87 to '90. I swear to god, I actually owned a few of Debbie's outfits. I used to live behind the Sands before buying a house at the foothills of the Sunrise Mountains, a few blocks away from that Mormon monstrosity. They definitely got Vegas during that period right. The camping at Red Rocks took me back. We used to go hiking out there all the time. It really is a beautiful place.

I sometimes get a little tired of Gilpin's same schtick with her constant harangued or put-upon expression, but she did do some outstanding work. (Nice to see Toby Huss again - I just recently did a rewatch of Halt And Catch Fire). However, I feel like the cast was requested by Netflix to nude it up this season or something. Everybody had to show their titties. At least Brie's topless dance to cheer up a friend felt real and organic.

This season was definitely a whole lot gayer, but it says something that I found Bash one of the most compelling characters in a mostly female cast. I have found him sympathetic since the beginning, and that scene last season where he finds out Florian died of AIDS and he's alone weeping inconsolably by the pool really stayed with me. I thought his 'coming out' to Deb when he's drunk and she's about to read him the riot act was the most real and dramatic moment of the season. And surprisingly, Rhonda has really grown on me. I feel bad for her, too, as she really does appear to be in love with Bash. [quote]She's obviously a bit clueless. A *very* kind person, but not that perceptive. I mean, I can't exactly fault her for not having a masters in male sexuality...

I never took her for clueless. On the contrary, they're portraying her as sharper than anyone expected. It seemed like Birdie respected her after their day together and was much more approving of the marriage once she realized that Rhonda was the "adult" in the relationship, better with money, and appeared to have her son's best interest at heart. Of course, Rhonda figured out what was going on during that three-way and was devastated, but she's also married to a millionaire who's about get richer when she was living out of her car a year before. Maybe she'll coax Bash to come to a comfortable agreement about their sexual lives while they remain together as a power couple.

by Anonymousreply 96August 11, 2019 12:10 AM

Las Vegan? Lol, Vegas, that was supposed to read.

by Anonymousreply 97August 11, 2019 12:11 AM

Bash has always read as gay.

by Anonymousreply 98August 11, 2019 12:12 AM

What happened to the quote formatting? This is the third time it didn't take. Did they change it or something?

[quote]She's obviously a bit clueless. A *very* kind person, but not that perceptive. I mean, I can't exactly fault her for not having a masters in male sexuality...

Testing this out again, don't mind me.

by Anonymousreply 99August 11, 2019 12:14 AM

I love Rhonda. She is so pretty and kind.

Bash is bi.

I love Betty. I feel she’s the strongest part of the show.

I was thankful the show had less Maron. He has a very irritating screen presence. Just very grating. My partner said he feels the cut his role down so much because they know a lot of people find too much of him TOO MUCH. He’s better in doses.

And part of why this season was better is because of the less wrestling. All the wrestling scene became boring.

by Anonymousreply 100August 11, 2019 12:14 AM

[quote]even though I think the show suffered with less Maron this time out

I definitely felt the lack of Maron this season. Shows what a necessary component he is for the cast’s chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 101August 11, 2019 12:14 AM

Couldn’t disagree about Maron more. He’s the worst part of this show.

by Anonymousreply 102August 11, 2019 12:17 AM

[quote]Everybody had to show their titties. At least Brie's topless dance to cheer up a friend felt real and organic.

There were several male butts on display, plus complete full frontal male nudity. It was very equal nudity.

by Anonymousreply 103August 11, 2019 12:19 AM

In what world is make full frontal equivalent to topless women?

by Anonymousreply 104August 11, 2019 12:22 AM

Whoever came up with this line needs to get a raise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 11, 2019 12:23 AM

But he's the caustic element that gives the show some edge. While I found the romance with Brie's character a bit forced, using it as an excuse to remove him from the Vegas setting showed how many of the wrestlers stories weren't that interesting. I also thought that he was pretty strong when Sam is having a heart attack and he can't even ask his daughter to take him to the hospital. He really did look ashen and sickly there. I'm wondering if he'll even return to the rest of the group in the new radio station, or if we'll see him directing the movie of his daughter's script in between the rest of the plots.

by Anonymousreply 106August 11, 2019 12:24 AM

LIZA, bitches! I love this actress and I hate myself for referring to her as "this actress" when I made sure to find out the name of the actor who plays the valet as soon as he appeared. Men are pigs, just like Debbie said.

Ceterum censeo, Bash is gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107August 11, 2019 12:27 AM

R106 he was great in that scene and part of it was because he’s in small doses.

The show was far more entertaining for me this season that the previous two. I actually didn’t like season one much at all and he was a part of why.

by Anonymousreply 108August 11, 2019 12:29 AM

[quote]I was thankful the show had less Maron. He has a very irritating screen presence. Just very grating. My partner said he feels the cut his role down so much because they know a lot of people find too much of him TOO MUCH. He’s better in doses.

Totally agree. He's a straight white man undergoing a middle age crisis. Got it. Next!

I mean, let's be real, it's not like his character's issues haven't been explored on TV and in the movies since forever.

by Anonymousreply 109August 11, 2019 12:30 AM

The only scenes Maron is good in are the scenes with his daughter.

He was unbearable season one. Season 2 he was interesting because of his daughter.

His weird relationship with Ruth isn’t cute or fun. It’s actually annoying.

by Anonymousreply 110August 11, 2019 12:38 AM

[quote]However, I feel like the cast was requested by Netflix to nude it up this season or something. Everybody had to show their titties.

I didn't read it like that at all. It seemed to me that the female actors on this show that is run by female showrunners felt so completely comfortable with the material, that they decided to go topless in greater numbers than before. It came across as an act of empowerment with an almost collegial quality to it. I honestly doubt Netflix would ever give out marching orders like those as it would cause a scandal the moment it became public knowledge. You just can't risk that in the post-MeToo world anymore.

by Anonymousreply 111August 11, 2019 12:41 AM

Yes, found a video of the threesome scene. You could cut away after they kiss, but I love the show gave us them grabbing into each other's underwear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 11, 2019 12:54 AM

It was cool r112. Nothing we haven’t seen on Netflix or Premium channels before.

by Anonymousreply 113August 11, 2019 12:56 AM

r112 I loved how the gigolo went straight for Bash. You'd think he'd have played around with the wife a bit and then checked him out later on.

by Anonymousreply 114August 11, 2019 12:57 AM

The gigolo was experienced enough to realize what Bash wanted, I'm sure he's slept with a million closet cases.

by Anonymousreply 115August 11, 2019 1:00 AM

I give the gigolo actor credit for going full frontal and not being a shower.

by Anonymousreply 116August 11, 2019 1:00 AM

Well, there are no small parts...

by Anonymousreply 117August 11, 2019 1:03 AM

I also loved how the gigolo's little peen got caught in the zipper as he pulled up his pants. So relatable.

by Anonymousreply 118August 11, 2019 1:04 AM

[quote]Stella aDLer

Someone is going to snatch that as their username in 3...2...1...

by Anonymousreply 119August 11, 2019 1:05 AM

I see what you did there Clifford

[quote]It’s finally happening... 🙃 wish I could show you more, but don’t worry, I will very soon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120August 11, 2019 1:17 AM

^^ His fiancée is so homely. But I guess the heart wants what the heart wants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 11, 2019 1:22 AM

Love people that don’t marry for looks but because they love the person and they make them happy.

by Anonymousreply 122August 11, 2019 1:23 AM

I wouldn't call her homely. Just more or less average. And that's a good smile.

by Anonymousreply 123August 11, 2019 1:38 AM

Well, she looks homely to me. Especially when standing next to him.

Anyway, his dog is everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 11, 2019 1:45 AM

I just learned that the dance instructor is played by Kerry Bishé, Chris Lowell's longtime partner. I kept thinking it was Mamie Gummer while watching the show but then I remembered that I had seen her on UnREAL before as the closeted contestant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 11, 2019 2:09 AM

Yes the dog is terrific :)

by Anonymousreply 126August 11, 2019 2:15 AM

[quote]I give the gigolo actor credit for going full frontal and not being a shower.

I love the fact that it happened and they made zero effort to hide it or make the scene brief. It was very natural.

[quote]The camping episode felt simultaneously too woke, with all of the 'which ethnicity suffered more' conversation, but also quite moving in many of the scenes.

Melanie even asked earlier in the episode what was wrong when she knew Jenny was mad at her. Jenny didn't bother telling her then because it's 1986. It's also perfectly natural that Jenny was upset by Melanie making fun of her and that no one else told Melanie to not say or do those things because it's 1986. The only one that is upset is Jenny.

The show established that these two are best friends so them talking it out and Jenny telling Melanie why it bothered her is also normal. People being upset about being made fun of is not new "woke" behavior. If they were strangers it might be odd to have that come to Jesus moment, or if other people jumped on Melanie I could agree with this "woke" comment but Melanie asked and Jenny saw an opening.

Jenny (Fortune Cookie), Tammé (Welfare Queen) and Arthie (Beirut the Mad Bomber) all have issues with their characters but they keep on playing them anyway and no one cares besides them because it's 1986.

[quote]His weird relationship with Ruth isn’t cute or fun. It’s actually annoying.

I liked his relationship with Ruth when the two were polar opposites. Her cheeriness about entertainment and acting vs his bitter and realistic views on what her job really is based on his experiences as a director worked. I could see the relationship coming a mile away but I'm glad it didn't last.

[quote]Bash is bi.

There's zero indication he's ever had a relationship with a woman before Rhonda but there is an indication that he's gay and deeply closeted.

Florian and Bash have been friends since the third grade. They live together and he tells people that Florian is his butler. Florian basically takes care of him.

Bash and Florian have a fight over money and Florian leaves. Bash is so upset that Florian is gone that he moves in with a couple of the girls (because he can't be in the house alone without Florian) who later take him to a gay bar to try and find Florian. We learn Florian talks about Bash all the time to the bartender. Later, Bash gets a phone call and finds out that Florian has died of AIDS from Florian's doctor (because he's his emergency contact) and he has to find some way to bury his cremated body. It's his job, not Florian's parents to do it.

Bash panics and hires a cleaning crew to clean their home. He tells them to wear gloves and burn anything he might have touched in the guest room. He tells them to bleach the whole house. The crew guy tells him they've dealt with this before. He grieves then immediately runs and marries Rhonda both to help her and so he won't meet the same fate.

Now his behavior towards anyone else that finds out that he might like men (the drag performer, the gigolo) is terrible. He clearly knows now he just can't just turn it off, as he tells Debbie, and that even though he has slept with Rhonda (and is okay if they never do it again) he still wants to sleep with men.

Earlier in the season they planted a line from the drag performer telling Florian that he has a kid with a friend. So now Bash wants a kid to keep up the illusion. He also wants to leave Vegas to get away from temptation.

by Anonymousreply 127August 11, 2019 2:27 AM

Yes it was the Florian drama from last season that finally caused Bash to internalize to himself he was gay, that's what prompted him to rush into the marriage with Rhonda. There was that great scene where he was looking at all the naked men type posters in his room.

Poor Florian, had to be a boyfriend without the sex because Bash wouldn't admit to himself what they were. Its too bad we never got a chance to explore their dynamic more.

by Anonymousreply 128August 11, 2019 2:37 AM

[quote]I just learned that the dance instructor is played by Kerry Bishé, Chris Lowell's longtime partner.

Which dance instructor? The showgirl? That’s Breeda Wool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129August 11, 2019 2:41 AM

Thanks, R129. I was just coming here to correct R125. Yes, Lowell and Kerry Bishe are together but that actress looks nothing like her. He did a cameo on Halt And Catch Fire just to do a love scene with her.

Saw Lowell in a trailer for Katie Says Goodbye playing a redneck mechanic and it took me he entire trailer to figure out where I'd seen him before. Looked completely different.

[quote]People being upset about being made fun of is not new "woke" behavior

Yes, I'm aware of that. Didn't need a lecture. I wasn't saying that conversations like that never happened in 1986, I'm saying that the inclusion of those scenes felt like they were trying too hard to be relevant to today's climate. While that was my initial cynical response, it didn't mean I couldn't find them sincere at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 130August 11, 2019 3:17 AM

Whenever Rhonda talks I immediately think of Cecily Tyson's British chick character from SNL, Gemma I think?

by Anonymousreply 131August 11, 2019 6:16 AM

Whoops, meant Cecily Strong. I think it's time for bed.

by Anonymousreply 132August 11, 2019 6:16 AM

R127 Then WHY does Bash have sex with a woman and actually LIKES it if he isn't bi? If he was gay at least he would not like it, but he clearly did. Bash is bi. Your arguments that he's gay make no sense. If he LIKES having sex with a woman and has sex with a woman multiple times then he's BI, not gay.

by Anonymousreply 133August 11, 2019 7:54 AM

"Tea and crumpets in the drawing room, guv'nuh!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134August 11, 2019 7:55 AM

R98 If Bash is so gay why does he have sex with a woman multiple times and likes it? You are so full of shit. The show made it clear that Bash is BI. Unless of course you mean every gay guy totally enjoys having sex with women? Then yeah, I guess Bash is gay! lol.

by Anonymousreply 135August 11, 2019 7:57 AM

R80 If it's SO obvious that Bash is gay, why is he sleeping with women? Is this the norm for gay men? To sleep with women?

by Anonymousreply 136August 11, 2019 8:08 AM

[quote]Then WHY does Bash have sex with a woman and actually LIKES it if he isn't bi? If he was gay at least he would not like it, but he clearly did. Bash is bi. Your arguments that he's gay make no sense. If he LIKES having sex with a woman and has sex with a woman multiple times then he's BI, not gay.

Are you okay? Do you need cannabis or a Xanax? Are you in love with Mr. Lowell? Bash lies to everyone and himself. He's gay. He didn't "clearly" do anything. I'm not engaging you any further on this because I think you need to take a nap.

by Anonymousreply 137August 11, 2019 8:17 AM

[Quote]Bash is an awful character. Why are we sitting around discussing a lousy third tier character?

R69 You nailed it. I was extremely offended by the portrayal of Bash this season. Not only did the show straightwash him, the juxtaposition to the lesbians being out and proud and happy made it SO much worse. The homophobia jumped out. This is not the first time Netflix has done this to a gay character either (hello Stranger Things). Netflix clearly has a problem with portraying gay characters. Gay characters are either straightwashed or not allowed to have a love life, including kissing and having sex. I'm SICK of miserable gay storylines where the gay guy is depressed and closeted while OF COURSE enjoying sex with women, because every gay guy totally enjoys having sex with women! Meanwhile lesbian characters get to be happy and out and proud, everyone around accepts them and they get gracious nudity scenes, kissing, sex... you name it. The difference in gay and lesbian portrayal is staggering, and quite frankly offensive. I'm sick of this and I expected so much more from Netflix. Truth is Netflix is no better than all the other cable services out there.

by Anonymousreply 138August 11, 2019 8:17 AM

R138 The lesbian characters didn’t have AIDS to worry about and lesbians have always been more accepted than gay men. Lipstick lesbians in particular. Sadly this was a reality for many gay men at the time. To have him out and happy with zero struggle and zero consequences would be disingenuous and bad writing. Netflix has great gay content.

I’m going to miss Geena Davis 😢

by Anonymousreply 139August 11, 2019 8:38 AM

When Bash's mom tells Brittania to keep him interested... Moms always know

by Anonymousreply 140August 11, 2019 8:41 AM

R138 you sound unhinged. You want them to portray him as out and proud and everyone congratulating him for coming out. That’s not how it was in 1986. Hell, it’s not like that for many now still.

by Anonymousreply 141August 11, 2019 8:48 AM

[quote]Yes, Lowell and Kerry Bishe are together but that actress looks nothing like her.

Disagree, she looks very much like her. That's why that person I learned this (incorrect) info from obviously made that mistake.

by Anonymousreply 142August 11, 2019 9:48 AM

[quote]The camping episode felt simultaneously too woke, with all of the 'which ethnicity suffered more' conversation, but also quite moving in many of the scenes.

[quote]Yes, I'm aware of that. Didn't need a lecture.

What exactly was lecture-like about people talking about the Holocaust and the Killing Fields? It's so gross to me that that is considered "woke behaviour these days. 🙄

Oh, how I long for the day when I won't see alt-right catchphrases on DL anymore...

by Anonymousreply 143August 11, 2019 9:51 AM

r136 We just had a thread about this YouTuber the other day, who first had sex with a girl at 16, then went on to marry a woman and had two kids with her, before coming out as gay. He must have liked having sex with her to the extent that he was able to cum, which is a pretty low bar when it comes to guys. But it was obviously not the same as having sex with a man and his past doesn't make him any less gay. There are countless others like him right now, and there have been throughout history.

Yes, Bash looked like he was enjoying it, kinda. But it looked nothing like when that gigolo touched his cock and his brain just about melted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 11, 2019 9:59 AM

[Quote]Is this the norm for gay men? To sleep with women?

Yes, it's very common. That's why there is even a need for a specific term, gold star gay, to denote a gay men who hasn't had sex with a woman.

If you weren't an unhinged nutcase living in Moms basement you'd might know these things.

by Anonymousreply 145August 11, 2019 11:23 AM

I love this show. I wonder if Bash's dad was gay?

by Anonymousreply 146August 11, 2019 2:37 PM

Birdie aka the Red Menace. I wish they could bottle her and sell it as an elixir you take before important meetings.

What is Elizabeth Perkins doing these days, anyway?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147August 11, 2019 2:53 PM

R147 playing a cunt mom on GLOW and This Is Us in Guest Appearances.

The worst thing Weeds did was let her go.

by Anonymousreply 148August 11, 2019 2:57 PM

R145 Asshole, you forgot to answer my other question: is it normal for gays to have sex with women and LIKE IT?! No. Bash had sex with his wife several times and he liked it. He can't be gay. At most he's bisexual. Why is it so hard for gays to admit that some guys like having sex with women too and are bisexual?

by Anonymousreply 149August 11, 2019 3:01 PM

[quote]Asshole, you forgot to answer my other question: is it normal for gays to have sex with women and LIKE IT?! No.

I'm not that poster but I addressed that issue at r144. Yes, a closeted gay guy can appear to like having sex with a woman, even when that's obviously not his main preference. All those kids closeted gay guys have were mostly made through good ol' climaxing in the vagina, rather than via other means. Vaginal sex is objectively pleasurable to a gay guy, if that's all he's known his entire life.

[quote]Why is it so hard for gays to admit that some guys like having sex with women too and are bisexual?

Because they stopped having sex for months on end within the first year of getting married/hooking up! That is NOT normal behaviour for a young guy, whether straight or bisexual. Especially after his comment to Rhonda that he didn't care if they had sex again. Who says that to his new wife of ONE YEAR?!

by Anonymousreply 150August 11, 2019 3:09 PM

Its not that hard to enjoy sex, the mind is a powerful thing if you are determined, and the physical sensation feels good. Gay men have been having sex and impregnating women through all of human history.

I guess you would prefer them writing that Bash is physically incapable of having sex with Rhonda, but that's not true to life, as the many gay guys who have had kids and come out afterwards can attest to. They way they handled it is more nuanced, just because a guy can fuck his wife doesn't mean he can't be gay. Life is complicated.

by Anonymousreply 151August 11, 2019 3:09 PM

Also can we talk about Ruth being in love with Sam, I like Marc Maron on the show but I can do without their characters being together. Them kissing made me feel a little uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 152August 12, 2019 5:34 PM

Also can we talk about Ruth being in love with Sam, I like Marc Maron on the show but I can do without their characters being together. Them kissing made me feel a little uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 153August 12, 2019 5:34 PM

Me too. It looked like his daughter and it was too much

by Anonymousreply 154August 12, 2019 5:52 PM

Geena Davis didnt really get much to do. Thought her character would be more of a factor.

by Anonymousreply 155August 12, 2019 6:09 PM

I was kind of dreading this season, feeling like it would be a chore to watch, but I'm a few episodes in and it has been great. I think it's the best season yet, and I really appreciate the emotional depth it got to like exploring the Cambodian genocide story line.

by Anonymousreply 156August 12, 2019 6:32 PM

The cast is already huge r155, they only have so much story time to devote to various characters.

by Anonymousreply 157August 12, 2019 6:54 PM

Yeah the one with the braids had no lines.

by Anonymousreply 158August 12, 2019 7:08 PM

Yeah, you would think with all the characters they could kill a few off to add some dramatic tension.

by Anonymousreply 159August 12, 2019 7:40 PM

[quote]The cast is already huge R155, they only have so much story time to devote to various characters.

It seems like Machu Picchu is leaving. The camera man / Ruth's boyfriend only appeared a few times (but he's also a writer on Netflix's Big Mouth and producer of Last Chance U) so he has other stuff to worry about, The actress that plays Marc Maron's daughter wasn't a regular this season but made a few appearances. The same can be said about Debbie's husband.

[quote]Yeah the one with the braids had no lines.

The one with the braids? Cherry? She had a whole season long plot involving her not wanting to carry a child but deciding to adopt with her husband.

by Anonymousreply 160August 12, 2019 8:15 PM

He means Reggie. No one even remembers she's on the show.

by Anonymousreply 161August 12, 2019 8:16 PM

Perhaps that poster meant ponytails, instead of braids?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162August 12, 2019 8:17 PM

Oh, yeah. That's different. LOL. Thanks R161 / R162. Ponytails not braids. The viking woman.

I completely forgot she was on the show too. Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 163August 12, 2019 8:18 PM

So did Bash did get some ass or was it just a handie?

by Anonymousreply 164August 12, 2019 8:18 PM

*Sorry, I fucked it up too. Those aren't ponytails. They're just braids, right?

by Anonymousreply 165August 12, 2019 8:18 PM

I love the actor who plays Bash. Everyone's great.

by Anonymousreply 166August 12, 2019 8:28 PM

R51. You know the show glow is potrayed from a different era triggered queen. Bach will never be out as a gay man in the 80s with so much prejudice and you factor the aids crisis. Most bisexual and gay men were closeted back then and will rather settle for a heterosexual lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 167August 12, 2019 8:29 PM

I liked the Liza Minnelli addition, I thought that was a clever way to incorporate the drag queen story line.

by Anonymousreply 168August 12, 2019 8:31 PM

Those are braids. Whoever does set design on this is amazing. The hair and wardrobe people are good too. Everyone fails at the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 169August 12, 2019 8:31 PM

[quote]So did Bash did get some ass or was it just a handie?

I've wondered this as well. I doubt they did anal in front of Rhonda, but I bet there was some oral action at some point.

Clearly we needed to stay on the threesome longer!

by Anonymousreply 170August 12, 2019 8:32 PM

R166 He has his own thread going on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171August 12, 2019 8:32 PM

I've always wondered, are audition scenes considered demanding from an actor's point of view? Brie had to play a wrestler playing a character for her audition, and was also told her reading had to be average and almost wrong for the movie character of a badass teacher. That seems like quite the challenge to me.

by Anonymousreply 172August 12, 2019 8:40 PM

^^^ Sounds brutal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173August 12, 2019 8:58 PM

I can fix that R157.

by Anonymousreply 174August 13, 2019 12:19 AM

R167 Enough with the excuses. The lesbians are happy and free and out and proud meanwhile the gays are miserable, as usual. Also, once again we have to see gay men fucking women, because every gay man totally wants to fuck a woman, lol! If a lesbian was having sex with a man there would be outrage from viewers, but because he's gay it's apparently ok. What utter bs. Nah, this show's gay storyline sucks. It's depressing. The gay character is sad and miserable. Also, the gay scenes were patheticly PG13 considering the lesbian scenes were much more explicit. Fuck this shitty show and shitty gay storyline. It's offensive. I hope it gets cancelled. Would be amazing if it was cancelled now so we would never get closure for Bash, that way the DLers can remember Bash as a miserable depressed closet case. After all, they seem to like miserable gay characters.

by Anonymousreply 175August 13, 2019 7:08 AM

R175 - wow

You realize they aren’t trying to portray YOUR life, just Bash’s life.

Others have already summed up Bash’s character arc, so I don’t have to repeat it - but it’s a very common one for a gay man in 1986 struggling to come out ... including marrying a woman and having sex with her in the first few months of their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 176August 13, 2019 7:55 AM

Does anyone know, is the drag queen modeled on Kenny Kerr and the firebombing based on the one that happened at the Gypsy?

by Anonymousreply 177August 13, 2019 12:27 PM

In the bible belt, there are still guys like Bash in 2019 and without even a family fortune at stake.

by Anonymousreply 178August 13, 2019 3:43 PM

So is Macho Pikachu out next season? I want to see more of her thick sexy brother.

by Anonymousreply 179August 13, 2019 5:25 PM

[quote]The lesbians are fun and happy and out and everything is perfect ...

The lesbians on the show aren't completely out. Sure they're out to their group of co-workers where it's safe, like Tammé mentioning the gay guy in acting class, BUT, in the hairdressing scene we saw they still switch the gender of the person they're talking about in front of the girl washing hair.

R177, according to the actor and a bunch of other articles, yes.

They're nearly all based on other people. Bash is even loosely based on GLOW creator David McLane but McLane is not gay.

Geena Davis' character Sandy Devereaux St. Clair was allegedly loosely based on showgirl Margaret Kelley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180August 13, 2019 6:09 PM

Glad the bulimia scene didn't turn into a big after-school special storyline and went in the background once the character started getting her power back.

Hopefully, the Bash marriage storyline won't evolve into the usual wife bolting/Hell To The No. It would be interesting to see how the characters navigate a relationship despite their differences without it turning into the cliché cautionary tale.

by Anonymousreply 181August 14, 2019 1:45 PM

I want the Bash storyline to be resolved in a happy manner for all involved, but also to stay true to the time it takes place in. A tall order, I know.

by Anonymousreply 182August 14, 2019 2:00 PM

I know functional bulemics who only do it a few times a year when they're stressed so that tracks.

by Anonymousreply 183August 14, 2019 4:22 PM

If they’re going to be realistic, they’d have Bash and Rhonda settle into a “good friends” type marriage. It would be sad, but that’s life.

by Anonymousreply 184August 14, 2019 4:49 PM

Anyone recall how long after season 2, season 3 was greenlit? Curious to see if this will get a season 4.

by Anonymousreply 185August 15, 2019 4:02 AM

We better. I adore this show and so does everyone else that I hip to it. It has to have a pretty solid gay following

by Anonymousreply 186August 15, 2019 5:43 AM

Much like “Halt and Catch Fire,” they’ll probably get a season 4 by the skin of their teeth.

Hopefully.

by Anonymousreply 187August 15, 2019 3:39 PM

I hope for at least one more season.

by Anonymousreply 188August 15, 2019 3:44 PM

Second season dropped June 29 last year and the news of renewal came on August 20. Netflix famously tends to reevaluate its originals after three seasons under their new-ish business model, but as you can see, it wasn't that fast the last time around either.

by Anonymousreply 189August 15, 2019 3:44 PM

I just finished season 3, wow. I fucking love this show so much! Each season they keep getting better. I love how we got to see new sides to characters that normally we don't. I loved Sheila's storyline. I adore Betty Gilpin, she is such a brilliant actress. The entire cast is really amazing as were new cast members. Geena Davis! I am not sure if Freaky Tuesday tops The Good Twin from last season as the most amazing ever (Who can forget Griefercise!?) but I laughed so hard! I need at least two more seasons so Netflix better not drop the ball here! 🤩🤩🤩

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190August 17, 2019 4:47 AM

I think Netflix will renew it, but the truth is given their business model it's not guarantee which is a bit scary. But this show had had some Emmy love and has a important pedigree behind it they want to keep happy so they should be fine.

by Anonymousreply 191August 17, 2019 4:57 AM

I love Narc Maron and Betty Gilpin.

by Anonymousreply 192August 17, 2019 5:12 AM

This one will break my heart if it’s cut loose. Good for the creative team for wrapping things up in case they’re cancelled. Smart.

by Anonymousreply 193August 17, 2019 7:51 AM

Exactly.

Netflix has cancelled almost every show I've loved in the past few years.

The problem is you can't go by online reactions to shows or critical acclaim anymore.

They also won't let you know how well a show is doing anyway so you can't go by that.

They really need to adjust their model.

by Anonymousreply 194August 17, 2019 7:50 PM

The thing is the Netflix business model is after a few seasons when shows get more expensive to produce, it makes more business sense to invest in a new series that can bring new attention and new subscribers.

Netflix is always trying to attract new subscribers, it's a different business model than a network.

But I think Glow will fine for another season, I wouldn't worry too much in this case.

by Anonymousreply 195August 17, 2019 8:08 PM

Netflix has so much crap, now, that I wouldn't be surprised if they canceled the one show that isn't crappy.

by Anonymousreply 196August 18, 2019 6:40 PM

Insane homophobic industry punchline & professional mark Jim Cornette loathes it, so to spite him we must watch in our droves.

This is the same man who wants to purge the business of camp elements and bring back fully-clothed 'tough-guy' savages into the top-card spots at the expense of glitter & oiled muscles & outrageous soapy storylines. He's a myopic dullard who hasn't drawn a dime since the late '80s, and is eternally bitter that both the new GLOW series and the original promotion have done for the business than he ever will.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197August 18, 2019 6:47 PM

I didn't realize someone held a gun to fat, ugly Jim Cornette and made him watch Glow. I'm sure he found a few moments to jack off to some of the naked tits.

by Anonymousreply 198August 18, 2019 7:05 PM

Hopefully these ratings are also eating Bill "Fruit Booty" DeMott alive.

Women and gays getting their props in PW history...he's at least seething, for certain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199August 18, 2019 10:31 PM

Cornette is a fat, worthless piece of shit.

Homophobic, eh? Nothing queenier than carrying around a fuzzy tennis racket.

He hated original GLOW, too.

by Anonymousreply 200August 19, 2019 12:21 AM

Mmmmmm, Charlie Haas.

by Anonymousreply 201August 19, 2019 12:21 AM

Although I thought some of the story lines wobbled a bit this season, I am praying to all that is good and holy that there's a fourth season, even knowing how Netflix doesn't like to cough up the bucks for pay raises after season three for any of its original shows. (I would also like the GLOW episodes to expand to an hour as there as SO many characters that some plot points now are picked up and quickly dropped, like Tamme becoming an on-stage manager to save her aching back. The show could use some breathing room to show more and tell less.) While I enjoyed the Vegas setting, it also painted the wrestling aspect into a corner a bit as the performers were forced to do the same show over and over instead of having a running soap opera like they could have done had they been able to stay on TV. Which is why I was excited by the season finale in which (SPOILER!) Bash buys an LA TV station and signs Debbie as president. SO much plot potential there (plus more opportunities to call in Elizabeth Perkins).

I noticed in the credit roll for The Libertines episode (the one with the Bash threesome) that they'd hired an Intimacy Coordinator. I went back to see how intimate the male performers actually were, and Nick Clifford and Chris Lowell were filmed from mid-range and each shown putting a hand well down into the front of the other's underwear, no cutaways to a closeup of a stunt arm. Then I felt like a horrible perv. (Also: to add to the above Bash arguing, I find the character to be one of the most fascinating on TV right now, and I love how Lowell plays him. And his costumes are on-the-nose, '80s rich-boy hideous.)

Speaking of love: I am card-carrying, if not exactly practicing, gay man, and I would jump the fence for the hilarious Betty Gilpin in both her Marlene Dietrich tuxedoed drag, as well as her Mother Christmas dress in the final episode. Sidebar: Who the hell was the late '50s TV hostess who used to regally swan through French doors on to her set like she was Lady Fucking Bountiful? She would definitely have worn that Christmas dress, although she have hoicked up (technical term!) the bodice. I can see her in my mind, but I cannot hoick up her name.

by Anonymousreply 202August 19, 2019 12:25 AM

Lorretta Young?

by Anonymousreply 203August 19, 2019 12:36 AM

It was very White Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 204August 19, 2019 4:00 AM

R202, R203 apparently, according to the response in the comments, these were complied in the 80s to be shown in a gay bar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205August 19, 2019 4:45 AM

R202 Here’s Loretta Young’s Christmas dress as elaborate tree skirt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206August 19, 2019 4:49 AM

Yes, Loretta Young! Bless you, DLers.

by Anonymousreply 207August 19, 2019 5:55 PM

Netflix wants to keep Genji Cohan happy, so I think GLOW will get a 4th or maybe even a 5th season. I doubt it will go beyond that, though.

by Anonymousreply 208August 19, 2019 6:57 PM

*Jenji Kohan. While I disagree with the intimation that she has this huge clout among the Netflix execs, I think getting five seasons will be much easier once they greenlight the fourth one.

by Anonymousreply 209August 19, 2019 7:04 PM

It will likely get renewed. It's the type of show that Netflix now loves: they do shorter seasons, the cast is relatively lower cost (none of the leads seem in danger of moving off to a bigger show) and they are nominated for a few Emmy awards.

by Anonymousreply 210August 19, 2019 8:09 PM

Betty Gilpin's big movie debut "The Hunt" got shelved.

by Anonymousreply 211August 19, 2019 8:13 PM

Orange Is the New Black was one of Netflix's first flagship shows, and GLOW has gotten it critical buzz and Emmy noms. Yes, I'd say they're very interested in keep Kohan happy.

by Anonymousreply 212August 19, 2019 9:46 PM

I disagree. OItNB petered out spectacularly after the second season and GLOW obviously isn't a massive ratings hit, otherwise we wouldn't be speculating about its renewal. So Kohan doesn't have an unassailable record for her to be treated like a goddess at Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 213August 19, 2019 9:51 PM

r211 She'll be fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214August 19, 2019 9:54 PM

When I see the name Betty Gilpin I keep thinking it's the character's name, it seems perfect for a wrestler.

by Anonymousreply 215August 19, 2019 10:15 PM

So, what should we infer from the name “Sebastian” ?

Saint Sebastian is the patron saint of athletes and protects people from plagues.

by Anonymousreply 216August 20, 2019 3:34 PM

I just realized Sheila the She-Wolf is also Queen Victoria in "The Greatest Showman". Now, I know.

by Anonymousreply 217August 20, 2019 9:48 PM

[quote] I am card-carrying, if not exactly practicing, gay man

I don't believe you, frau.

by Anonymousreply 218August 21, 2019 8:01 AM

[quote] I think Netflix will renew it, but the truth is given their business model it's not guarantee which is a bit [bold]scary[/bold].

That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

by Anonymousreply 219August 21, 2019 8:04 AM

I'm pretty Kerry Bishé is a stealthbian and Lowell can't even play straight so…what the fuck is that about?

Also, I thought Bash got HIV from his sex butler. No?

by Anonymousreply 220August 21, 2019 8:17 AM

No r220

by Anonymousreply 221August 21, 2019 1:05 PM

Bash would have shown some symptoms by now but no, he didn't have sex with his butler. He's one of those stunted homos that don't realise they're gay until much later on because they're so obsessed with other things in life.

I get stealthbian caneface vibes from Bishé as well, but I guess you just never know with people.

by Anonymousreply 222August 21, 2019 1:13 PM

Betty Gilpin was on the Las Culturistas podcast last month, if you're wondering what she sounds like outside of the late-night talk show format, which she briefly discusses as well. I just love her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223August 21, 2019 1:29 PM

R223 One of my favorite parts of getting a new Glow season is watching Betty do press! She is so naturally hilarious with a really dry, self depricating sense of humor which is right up my alley. She just doesn't come off as super Hollywood which makes her relatable. She seems like she would be a fun to hang out with, but honestly if I could hang out with Debbie Eagan even once, I would die happy. I agree she looked fucking stunning in the tuxedo and even more stunning in the White Christmas outfit! Betty Gilpin is the gay icon we didn't even know we needed

by Anonymousreply 224August 21, 2019 10:10 PM

Jackie Tohn, who plays Melanie, was on the KeepIt podcast today. She learned on air that Jason Mraz - her boyfriend from 2001 to 2004 - came out as bisexual earlier this year. 🤯

r224 I was sounding the alarm about her the moment she showed up on American Gods and basically made that whole season despite playing a tertiary character. I've only ever said this about a couple of British gay actors (and Robin Weigert), but I'd love it if she became The Next Big Thing. I'm sure Gretchen Mol would gladly hand over that title at this point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225August 21, 2019 10:23 PM

R225 Yes!!! I thought she was great in American Gods! especially the scene when Laura Moon shows back up very much undead. She just played that whole scene brilliantly! I didn't really know who she was so I didn't think about her again until I saw her again on GLOW, again as a cheated on a woman so I initially thought ok she's typecast. I mean... I'm not trying to jump the gun but I agree with these Podcast guys, she could be the next Streep. She's that good.

by Anonymousreply 226August 21, 2019 10:31 PM

Also it's super weird that you mentioned her in American Gods because I randomly thought about the show, in particular her on that show, earlier today and now here we are talking about it. Betty Gilpin bringing people together

by Anonymousreply 227August 21, 2019 10:32 PM

*Mraz came out last year, oopsie on my part!

r226 Yes, that scene in the bathroom was everything. I clearly recall everyone raving about it at the time.

by Anonymousreply 228August 21, 2019 10:39 PM

Oh, and I just remembered that I made a thread about Betty last year just because her face in one scene struck me so much!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229August 21, 2019 10:43 PM

Is Betty Gilpin a better actress than her sister Peri?

by Anonymousreply 230August 22, 2019 4:06 AM

Betty first made a splash on “ Nurse Jackie,” where she was delightfully weird.

by Anonymousreply 231August 22, 2019 4:45 AM

She's great. I had no idea she existed before Glow. I hope we see much more of her from here on out.

by Anonymousreply 232August 22, 2019 4:52 AM

New WTF! interview with Betty Gilpin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233August 27, 2019 3:53 PM

R233 I listened this morning! Great interview, my coworkers kept asking why I was laughing. It was hard to explain why Betty saying she wanted to eat a cup of soil was hilarious to me 😂

by Anonymousreply 234August 27, 2019 4:31 PM

I have a friend who will be working with Betty soon, says she's terrific to work with (so far, in prep).

by Anonymousreply 235August 27, 2019 4:35 PM

r217, she's also Scottish!

by Anonymousreply 236August 27, 2019 4:36 PM

She’s fantastic. I need to go back and watch her in Nurse Jackie again.

by Anonymousreply 237August 27, 2019 7:31 PM

In general I don't usually care too much about celebrities but I wanna be her friend so bad, I totally relate to her dry self depricating sense of humor and how her brain works and how she feels about herself mirror's the same thoughts I have about myself. She just seems so cool and down to earth, but also a mess and that's why I love her

by Anonymousreply 238August 27, 2019 7:45 PM

[quote]Just a reminder: Netflix makes a lot of renewal calls based on 28-day viewing. That window for #GLOW S3 closes this week. So if you haven’t watched yet, might wanna binge ASAP. (It’s a really great season, too.)

Please, Netflix, make it happen! 🥺

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239September 5, 2019 11:33 PM

Yeah, Betty can come to the party.

by Anonymousreply 240September 7, 2019 10:53 AM

They really do get the 80s right. I think this and Stranger are the only ones who do.

by Anonymousreply 241September 7, 2019 7:01 PM

I know it will never happen but a Fandango/Johnny Curtis guest-star would complete the package for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242September 7, 2019 8:56 PM

Any word on season 4?

by Anonymousreply 243September 15, 2019 6:32 AM

Here's an recent article or Lori Palmer who played Ninotchka on the original GLOW and the one that Zoya was based on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244September 15, 2019 6:47 AM

For those that enjoyed the original GLOW and Netflix version, might also enjoy Women of Wrestling that airs on AXS TV on Saturday nights. It's not as campy as GLOW, but still entertaining none the less and the actual wrestling is quite a bit better. The next episode airs September 28.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245September 15, 2019 6:56 AM

I remember a show in the 80s called the Gorgeous Homos of Wrestling "We're all straight in the ring."

by Anonymousreply 246September 15, 2019 8:06 AM

Renewed for fourth AND FINAL season. 😭

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247September 20, 2019 3:55 PM

That sounds about right. The original GLOW only went 4 seasons, too.

by Anonymousreply 248September 20, 2019 4:07 PM

Hopefully the final episode will be a fast forward to modern day where Zoya and Liberty Belle leave bitchy social media comments to one another about who sponsored the better fan appreciation sea cruise much like Hollywood and Roxy are doing now.

by Anonymousreply 249September 20, 2019 4:13 PM

Yay for the fourth season pickup! (And, agreed, four will be enough.) While I love the ladies, particularly Betty Gilpin, I'm most interested in what happens to Bash.

by Anonymousreply 250September 20, 2019 10:49 PM

Yeah I hope Bash can come to terms with things but if they write it well i dont mind if he stays closeted. It was the 80s and his family wouldn't approve.

by Anonymousreply 251September 21, 2019 1:12 AM

Wow, 4 seasons. Doesn't Netflix usually cancel after 2 or 3? Isn't that their business model?

by Anonymousreply 252September 21, 2019 10:45 AM

r252 It still renews shows that get good ratings AND good reviews. If GLOW had just one of those, it'd be toast.

by Anonymousreply 253September 21, 2019 10:56 AM

I watched the first 2 seasons when they first came out, I keep trying to watch the 3rd season but I can't get into it.

by Anonymousreply 254January 31, 2020 7:27 AM

Netflix has cancelled this after announcing it was renewed.

I'm pissed, the end of season 3 was not a real ending. Can't believe we won't get to see them try to wrap up this story.

by Anonymousreply 255October 6, 2020 12:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!