Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

PBS is doing a documentary about the 1950 witch hunts against gays

It's called The Lavender Scare. Airs on June 18th:

Learn the untold story of how tens of thousands of homosexual federal workers were either fired or denied employment in the 1950s, stirring outrage in the gay community and starting an LGBTQ rights movement with an unlikely hero at the forefront.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77June 20, 2019 12:14 AM

It wasn't an "LGBTQ ' movement back then fool. They didn't have the alphabet soup in those days.

by Anonymousreply 1May 31, 2019 4:35 AM

Thank you^^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 2May 31, 2019 4:36 AM

Why are you calling me a fool, idiot? I was quoting what the website said. r1 and r2 are easily offended.

by Anonymousreply 3May 31, 2019 4:37 AM

It was “gay rights” until lesbian seperatists demanded the “L” during the Reagan era. Then all hell broke loose.

by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2019 4:55 AM

Let us not forget the Boys of Boise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2019 5:05 AM

Or The Gurls of Goise.

by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2019 5:21 AM

The word "gay" encompassed women at that time you idiot R4.

by Anonymousreply 7May 31, 2019 1:21 PM

Looks like an important documentary on our history but of course the straights and the trolls have to shit all over it. These RWNJs don't want us to have a sense of community or identity, let alone learn our history from the commie pinko PBS.

by Anonymousreply 8May 31, 2019 2:00 PM

[quote]Looks like an important documentary on our history but of course [bold]the straights and the trolls have to shit all over it.[/bold]

????

by Anonymousreply 9May 31, 2019 2:20 PM

rt6456

by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2019 2:32 AM

r1 You're right. It was only LG. The "B" was living in the suburbs and small towns with their wife and/or husband while the only "T" was Christine Jorgensen who was showing all of Hollywood her fake vagina and letting a few of them fuck it, but she didn't feel it because "man-made" vaginas were in their infancy.

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2019 2:38 AM

Good lord, do the anti-trans trolls have to invade every thread? This documentary is a good thing, sad that people have hijacked the thread to bash others.

by Anonymousreply 12June 1, 2019 2:43 AM

This not about TQ - why did PBS lie? This is not the first time I have seen this.

by Anonymousreply 13June 1, 2019 2:48 AM

r13, no one is lying. Stop being overly sensitive - you know, the same thing you accuse trans people of being.

by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2019 2:57 AM

R11 You don't know the history. Among the many Lavender scare victims, was bisexuals such as Charles Thayer.

The Student Homophile League at Columbia University was founded by a bisexual, Stephen Donaldson, in 1967. There were bisexuals at Stonewall, such as Gil Horowitz. It was a bisexual woman, Brenda Howard, that is called the Mother of PRIDE for creating the PRIDE celebrations. In 1972, Bill Beasley, another bisexual, brought PRIDE to LA. In 1977, it was bisexual activist Alan Rockway who co authored the first successful gay rights initiative to be passed by voters, the one that got Anita Byrant's panties in a twist. Cliff Arnesen, a bisexual, co-founded the National Gay, Lesbian & Bisexual Veterans of America to advocate for the rights of GLB people to serve openly in the military. And there were many many more.

by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2019 3:19 AM

The film’s been out for a year. It’s airing on PBS but wasn’t commissioned by PBS. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lavenderscare/the-lavender-scare-a-documentary-film/posts/2313766

by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2019 3:21 AM

r15, lots of people back then said they were "bi," but they weren't. I've had friends that claimed to be "bi" and the last time they had sex with anyone of the opposite sex was during high school experimentation.

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2019 4:13 AM

When Justin Trudeau apologized for past anti-homosexual laws and policies, he aplogized to the "LGBTQ2 community. " Not only is this inaccurate it is anti-gay to muddy the past and lessen who was attacked in the past and strengthens those attacking gay existence right now , pretending they are the same and allies.

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2019 9:26 AM

r16 WTF is this epidemic lately, so many people missing the box?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2019 9:36 AM

People like R18 want DLers to think that everything trans, lesbian, queer and bi is anti-gay, but you'll never see them saying a word about the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2019 9:40 AM

It goes without saying that Republicans are antigay, r20. It needs to be emphasized, OTOH, that B, T, and Q are, if not anti-gay, at least NOT GAY. Lesbian, of course, is gay.

by Anonymousreply 21June 1, 2019 9:46 AM

I'll be honest, when I hear people calling themselves "queer" "pansexual" "omnisexual" all other weird sexual. . ..I smirk because it could all just come under BI really. It reeks of naval gazing and self importance. Not every shade of sexuality needs a label or a pigeon hole .

by Anonymousreply 22June 1, 2019 9:48 AM

Do the asexuals have a flare yet? Another interloper into gay rights that baffles me. Imagine if we did those with race, and everyone not white was put into and alphabet soup as one mass. It would be the BAL community.

by Anonymousreply 23June 1, 2019 9:51 AM

[quote] It would be the BAL community.

Black As Licorice?

by Anonymousreply 24June 1, 2019 9:53 AM

I truly believe SJWs have done the LGB population great harm recently with the alphabet soup and the revisionism. We are becoming freaks again and it's setting us back years. All the tantrums and threats over semantics is pissing people off and working against us.

by Anonymousreply 25June 1, 2019 9:54 AM

[quote]It goes without saying that Republicans are antigay, [R20].

When people go on at length about anyone LB or T being anti-gay by default, yet never say anything about the GOP's constant attacks on our community, that's an issue.

When the same people who ignore the GOP attacks on our community also spend their weekend nights trying very hard to splinter the entire community into tiny factions, that's an even bigger issue.

Also, with all due respect, no one believes there are seven or eight individual people on DL at 5:55AM on a Saturday morning, all Very Very Concerned (tm) about SJWs and bisexuals ruining every single gain the community has made over the last several decades. No actual gay man believes we've "become freaks" because of the "omnisexuals" or whatever. That's crazy conspiracy talk.

by Anonymousreply 26June 1, 2019 9:58 AM

That is it, R25.

by Anonymousreply 27June 1, 2019 9:59 AM

Who gives a fuck, you miserable anti trans obsessives. If you are even gay I doubt you are the type who ever did anything for gay rights and sound like you'd now vote against them to spite "the alphabet". This sounds like an interesting documentary but you cunts get a sniff of trans and your off. ..so reactionary and prejudiced and fucking boring .I'm with you R26 .

by Anonymousreply 28June 1, 2019 10:01 AM

[quote] When people go on at length about anyone LB or T being anti-gay by default, yet never say anything about the GOP's constant attacks on our community, that's an issue.

Or...it is so well-known and accepted by this point in time that the GOP hates us, that it doesn't need to be mentioned every single time we talk about "gay."

[quote] When the same people who ignore the GOP attacks on our community also spend their weekend nights trying very hard to splinter the entire community into tiny factions, that's an even bigger issue.

We are not an "entire community," no matter how you want us to believe that.

by Anonymousreply 29June 1, 2019 10:02 AM

So, so, so, so, SO sad that the PBS special is trying to draw attention to a time when people would kill or destroy us, a time not so long ago.....

And yet, posters have spent most of the last 30 posts complaining and sniping about who got to be called what and who got there first.

by Anonymousreply 30June 1, 2019 10:07 AM

Gays , bis, trans and asexuals are NOT all one homogenous mass, they simply are not. I fully support trans people, but they should be their own movement. As for pan omni and queer, well sorry....What??

by Anonymousreply 31June 1, 2019 10:10 AM

I am sick of the T LIES that seeks to smear anyone who sticks up for gay rights as GOP,Boris etc like R18 /R26

No, R30 - People simply want a program described properly. It is supposed to be about homosexuality, not straight people, tumblr or the mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 32June 1, 2019 10:11 AM

You aren't in any community R29 This anti trans crap is just more uptight nonsense from sad uptight people ( even those claiming to be liberal ). You're the type who would have been moaning about long haired hippies, you've become the miserable elders. The documentary is about prejudice and you have more in common with the aggressors ,which if you are gay ,whatever politics you have ,is a very poor show.

by Anonymousreply 33June 1, 2019 10:11 AM

The program is about anti-gay, it just isn't described properly because of the current anti-gay push: trans.

by Anonymousreply 34June 1, 2019 10:15 AM

No, asswipe, I was a "longhaired hippie."

And I know where to place commas in a sentence.

by Anonymousreply 35June 1, 2019 10:17 AM

"Uptight" to the point of aggressively anti-gay is the trans ideology which encourages "uptight" parents to trans their kids if they seem a little gay for wanting the wrong toy/haircut etc.

by Anonymousreply 36June 1, 2019 10:18 AM

So why are yoy such an Archie Bunker now R35? .According to uou bitter old cunts the documentary has no value because it used LBGTQ in its description...you're pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 37June 1, 2019 10:20 AM

You are stupid, R37.

by Anonymousreply 38June 1, 2019 10:22 AM

Goodness, a former hippie who is now a raging hateful online troll in his twilight years. How original.

by Anonymousreply 39June 1, 2019 10:22 AM

Ok R33 what have trans got to do with gay rights? What has gender dismorphia got to do with sexuality?? Please enlighten me.

by Anonymousreply 40June 1, 2019 10:22 AM

"Archie Bunker"? Dear fucking Christ, you're a dingbat.

by Anonymousreply 41June 1, 2019 10:23 AM

It is not "hateful" to recognize T and G have nothing to do with each other. G is the thing T most doesn't want to be. Why do you hate the G so, yet insist upon being our P?

by Anonymousreply 42June 1, 2019 10:24 AM

People like R39 are the reason many are unfortunately turning to the right. Nobody wants to be lectured by tediously overaged students who spit the dummy when people question their motives.

by Anonymousreply 43June 1, 2019 10:26 AM

Take your tablets R40 the Trans are not coming for you. . And your hippie values left you a loooong time ago Archie R47. This documentary sounds great but lyou ot prefer to use it as yet another chance to bash.

by Anonymousreply 44June 1, 2019 10:27 AM

I will never vote Trump or republican but Christ these SJWs are annoyingly regressive

by Anonymousreply 45June 1, 2019 10:28 AM

I have never voted Republican, and I always vote. I am not "Archie Bunker" except to alt-left loons.

by Anonymousreply 46June 1, 2019 10:30 AM

It's weird that these people are all over their trans threads saying they agree with Trump and will even vote for Trump, but at the same time say my banal comment at R39 is "unfortunately" forcing people to vote GOP. Sometimes Trump is bad, sometimes he's good, they don't care. They have no consistency or logic, but they want you to believe they're the most logical, common-sense folks on the entirety of Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 47June 1, 2019 10:30 AM

They certainly ate "alt left" I'm left and they don't speak for me at all. A bunch of babies.

by Anonymousreply 48June 1, 2019 10:32 AM

I would never eat an alt-left, r48.

by Anonymousreply 49June 1, 2019 10:35 AM

[quote]Goodness, a former hippie who is now a raging hateful online troll in his twilight years. How original.

Look at this idiot. People are correct to want a program about history to accurately describe its subject. It matters. This idiot turns this into "raging hateful online troll." This is typical of T deflection and distortion.

by Anonymousreply 50June 1, 2019 10:36 AM

You 'liberals' were OK with things as long as you were top dogs. Times have changed, you have been left behind. The poster above is right, you are now just Archie Bunkers, moaning from your armchairs about SJW and PC gone mad.It's an unfortunate response some people have to aging.

by Anonymousreply 51June 1, 2019 10:41 AM

^ Retarded, and thinks it is liberal to drug, and cut off the penis of a boy suspected of being gay.

by Anonymousreply 52June 1, 2019 3:17 PM

"Not only is this inaccurate it is anti-gay to muddy the past and lessen who was attacked in the past and strengthens those attacking gay existence right now , pretending they are the same and allies."

Yawn, trans people aren't attacking the existence of gay people, except in your feeble mind. Trans people don't even make up 1% of the population, why are you so scared of them?

"I will never vote Trump or republican but Christ these SJWs are annoyingly regressive"

The regressive ones are the Republicans who are passing laws to discriminate against gays AND trans people

"I truly believe SJWs have done the LGB population great harm recently with the alphabet soup and the revisionism."

Support for gay rights has gone up, not down. Why do you think Repugs are no longer focusing on banning gays from the military and are now focusing on banning trans people from the military?

by Anonymousreply 53June 1, 2019 4:08 PM

AND GIVE BOBBY KENNEDY HIS DUE!!! For the hundreth time, that was his assignment when he wet to the Justice Department , and from all accounts he approached it with ferocity. DLers throw up their hands and scream Hoover and McCarthy , who were certainly part of it. Certainly RFK was not the instigator, granted, but he was certainly a big, very enthusiastic part of. I do envision the Kennedy family eventually apologizing for this.

by Anonymousreply 54June 1, 2019 4:17 PM

"DLers throw up their hands and scream Hoover and McCarthy , who were certainly part of it. "

Only "part" of it? LOL. Looks like the freepers have invaded this thread.

by Anonymousreply 55June 1, 2019 4:24 PM

r54 cont'd. What did I tell you?

by Anonymousreply 56June 1, 2019 4:26 PM

[quote]People like [R39] are the reason many are unfortunately turning to the right. Nobody wants to be lectured by tediously overaged students who spit the dummy when people question their motives.

If that is all it takes to turn someone to the right, they were already there. 🙄😐

by Anonymousreply 57June 1, 2019 4:54 PM

"Nobody wants to be lectured by tediously overaged students who spit the dummy when people question their motives."

I guess you prefer to be lectured by "family values" hypocrites who rant against abortion but pressure their mistresses to get abortions.

by Anonymousreply 58June 1, 2019 4:56 PM

r56, cot'd. RFK's focus was theState Department, as regrettably he ruined many lives. Any biography of RFK will mention this, although they tend to gloss it over, of course. As I stated, I believe the Kennedy family will eventually apologize for this.

by Anonymousreply 59June 1, 2019 5:21 PM

Witch hunts still happen. Only now it's done with ostracism and alliances. You can still get fired, or evicted or arrested.

by Anonymousreply 60June 1, 2019 5:54 PM

I read the first gay rights meeting had all the shades pulled and guards posted outside the door.

by Anonymousreply 61June 1, 2019 9:04 PM

Premieres tonight at 9 p.m. ET.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 18, 2019 7:58 PM

[quote]Yawn, trans people aren't attacking the existence of gay people, except in your feeble mind. Trans people don't even make up 1% of the population, why are you so scared of them?

Then get em the fuck out of the alphabet soup people are so wont to push.

by Anonymousreply 63June 18, 2019 8:17 PM

Thanks, OP, for posting this and to r62 for bumping it. I wouldn’t have heard about it otherwise.

I’ve got a fresh tape in my VCR and all set to press record. (I haven’t figured out how to program it yet.)

by Anonymousreply 64June 18, 2019 8:18 PM

It's kinda hard to follow this thread with all the Tranny talk, but then I realized PBS itself erroneously label the gay rights movement as an LGBTQ movement. This thread never stood a chance.

It's so obvious PBS went out of its was to not say the words [bold]GAY[/bold] Rights Movement, which is outrageous given the subject matter.

by Anonymousreply 65June 18, 2019 9:40 PM

[quote]Witch hunts still happen. Only now it's done with ostracism and alliances. You can still get fired, or evicted or arrested.

This is happening right now with T trying to get professors fired if they do not go along with their homophobic and sexist ideology

by Anonymousreply 66June 18, 2019 9:45 PM

Just watched it. Not bad.

Will the T now reconfigure Frank Kameny as one of their own?

by Anonymousreply 67June 19, 2019 2:38 AM

Is there a way to see it online?

by Anonymousreply 68June 19, 2019 2:40 AM

r68, I have a PBS membership, but I am unable to play it. But if you enter your zip code in the appropriate box, you can see when it will be run again. I can see it on Friday or Saturday again where I live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 19, 2019 7:25 AM

It was fairly good. Lot of history included in there, but a lot of stuff that it left out and/or should have emphasized more.

Nice to see Frank Kameny getting a profiled properly

by Anonymousreply 70June 19, 2019 10:42 AM

I found it tepid, with saccharine music tinkling in the background. We've seen it done better before.

by Anonymousreply 71June 19, 2019 2:20 PM

Disappointing. Lots more history they could have utilized.

Should have tied it it into the military ban on gays which happened first and was the model used for the federal employment ban.

by Anonymousreply 72June 19, 2019 10:31 PM

R54 Do people not connect RFK to all this? I mean McCarthy and both Kennedy brothers were close. Both McCarthy's and RFK's widows said McCarthy was Kathleen's godfather. Though she now disputes the story.

How about we talk about how FDR created the original lavender scare when he was Assistant Secretary of the Navy. No one wants to mention that because FDR is a liberal hero.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 19, 2019 10:53 PM

[quote]Both McCarthy's and RFK's widows said McCarthy was Kathleen's godfather. Though she now disputes the story.

That really shouldn’t be too hard to settle. The Catholic Church keeps documents on baptisms and who the parents, grandparents and godparents are. My mother had my baptism certificate (and I think she still does) and I saw that information on it.

by Anonymousreply 74June 19, 2019 11:15 PM

R74 That is the thing Kathleen says her certificate lists a Catholic professor Daniel Walsh as her godfather. But, why would Ethel Kennedy lie about it? Also, I didn't mean to say McCarthy's widow confirmed it, it was only Ethel.

by Anonymousreply 75June 19, 2019 11:24 PM

And Georgia Public Broadcasting aired it at 1AM.Ut si!

by Anonymousreply 76June 20, 2019 12:06 AM

R76 It aired on GPB last night at 9:00pm, the 1:00am airing was a repeat, which they normally do with their prime time programs.

by Anonymousreply 77June 20, 2019 12:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!