Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Two Transgender Activists Are Getting a Monument in New York

Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera, both key figures in the gay liberation movement, will be honored with a permanent installation in Greenwich Village.

Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera, pioneering transgender activists who were at the vanguard of the gay rights movement, will be immortalized in a monument that may be placed down the street from the Stonewall Inn, the city said on Wednesday.

“The L.G.B.T.Q. movement was portrayed very much as a white, gay male movement,” Ms. McCray said. “This monument counters that trend of whitewashing the history.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 13, 2019 10:39 PM

Did Marsha P. know she was a "transgender activist" or is this all TG revisionist history?

by Anonymousreply 1May 30, 2019 6:02 PM

It’s revisionist history. Marsha identified as a gay man and drag queen

by Anonymousreply 2May 30, 2019 6:04 PM

[quote]pioneering transgender activists who were at the vanguard of the gay rights movement,

Yikes! Erasing gay history and immortalizing bigotry. Johnson was not Transgender as it is on video when he says he is a man!

by Anonymousreply 3May 30, 2019 6:05 PM

We need to flood the comments section of the article with the truth R3

by Anonymousreply 4May 30, 2019 6:06 PM

Also, gay men led the stonewall rioting. Wasn't a Lesbian who told the gay man watching her get carried away to do something?

by Anonymousreply 5May 30, 2019 6:06 PM

Absolutely shocking that SJWs see nothing wrong with co-opting the life of a dead gay black man to fit their own agenda.

by Anonymousreply 6May 30, 2019 6:08 PM

Someone wrote that the majority of Stonewall patrons were POC. Were they???

by Anonymousreply 7May 30, 2019 6:08 PM

Nope, the majority were white males, some Hispanics and a token Lesbian or two.

by Anonymousreply 8May 30, 2019 6:11 PM

Stonewall masterpost (yes, even tumblr has its uses):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 30, 2019 6:12 PM

I just posted this in another thread, but it is very worth the read: an analysis by a Cambridge-educated philosopher of how the Transgender Lobby piggy-backed, used and finally co-opted the gay rights movement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 30, 2019 6:25 PM

Are the monuments going to have a penis or are they post op ?

by Anonymousreply 11May 30, 2019 6:29 PM

It is quite amazing how quickly the Trans lobby is managing to takeover so many different spaces from so many groups, they are being very efficient in turning a ton of different people against them.

by Anonymousreply 12May 30, 2019 6:30 PM

The Transgender Lobby would be nowhere without its cynical use of gay activism, goodwill and now funds donated by corporations trying to score WOKE points.

How the T got into LGBT - trans activists interviewed on how they conned their way into LGB ( the New York Times)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 30, 2019 8:41 PM

I'm seeing articles saying Marsha "threw the first bottle" at the riots!! WTF!!!!! how are these lies being told and believed?

by Anonymousreply 14May 31, 2019 12:01 AM

I thought it was a brick.

by Anonymousreply 15May 31, 2019 8:50 PM

The Sylvia was not even at the Stonewall.

by Anonymousreply 16June 11, 2019 9:21 PM

How many million paid for this ?

by Anonymousreply 17June 11, 2019 9:29 PM

They were drag queens - not trans women - who weren't even there. They admitted it.

by Anonymousreply 18June 11, 2019 9:38 PM

As R2 has already pointed out, Marsha did not identify as trans, he was a gay men who liked women's clothing, pure & simple.

Sylvia was a parasite and a criminal, he & one of his boyfriends used to beat and rob gay men.

by Anonymousreply 19June 11, 2019 9:46 PM

Iirc, even DL fav Chrysy T called out this bullshit awhile back.

by Anonymousreply 20June 11, 2019 10:05 PM

Sylvia Rivera and Marsha P. Johnson were basically junkie street whores. But now they're like Jesus. It's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 21June 11, 2019 10:08 PM

Sex workers, r21!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 22June 11, 2019 10:09 PM

They need to make a monument for old-school trans activist Alanna (Alan) Turning, one of the first women codebreakers in WW2 who helped crack the Nazi Enigma machine (fyi did you know that the nazi's identified trans women in the concentration camps with a patch displaying an inverted pink triangle?). Turing was one of the first high-profile trans women to go on HRT, but sadly committed suicide due to transphobia.

by Anonymousreply 23June 11, 2019 10:12 PM

Sylvia Rivera didn’t consider himself transgender either

by Anonymousreply 24June 11, 2019 10:12 PM

Sylvia Rivera gave us our rights. She gave us EVERYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 25June 11, 2019 10:12 PM

I didn't realize your post was satire r23 ...

People actually believe that?

by Anonymousreply 26June 11, 2019 10:13 PM

People like Wilson Cruz are peddling this story.

More erasure.

If you weren't trans or a POC, you weren't there.

by Anonymousreply 27June 11, 2019 10:17 PM

I know it's terribly unfashionable these days to have any admiration for white middle-class gays, but people like Frank Kameny and Barbara Gittings, and all of their contemporaries had EVERYTHING to lose by coming out in those days. It's great that others like Sylvia and Marsha were also there, but they really weren't risking everything like the gainfully employed, middle-class gay men and lesbians were.

by Anonymousreply 28June 11, 2019 10:18 PM

Poor Alan Turning had to take hormones or face jail time. That was the option he was given.

by Anonymousreply 29June 11, 2019 10:44 PM

I submitted a comment stating how this was inaccurate and that they were not trans nor did they start the stonewall movement. NYT did not publish it and now comments are closed.

by Anonymousreply 30June 11, 2019 11:44 PM

Of course they didn't publish it. Why disturb a nice fantasy?

by Anonymousreply 31June 12, 2019 12:33 AM

[quote] I submitted a comment stating how this was inaccurate and that they were not trans nor did they start the stonewall movement. NYT did not publish it and now comments are closed.

R30, send it elsewhere to get it published. Make it known the NYTimes refused to publish it.

Lies need to be debunked no matter where they come from.

by Anonymousreply 32June 12, 2019 12:51 AM

deBlasio's wife rules the roost it seems.

Francesca Xavier Cabrini and other female icons were denied honorary statues after a group controlled by First Lady Chirlane McCray tossed out the revered Catholic sister in favor of more women of color and a drag queen-turned-LGBTQ activist.

This despite Cabrini getting the most votes in a poll of New Yorkers on who should be included.

“The whole process was a charade,” said Harriet Senie, who served on the panel that weighed the poll results and recommended to McCray that the city honor groups over individuals.

"Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini, (America's first Saint) who received more nominations from New Yorkers than any other woman during the process, has been completely ignored,” Councilman Justin Brannan wrote to McCray’s office on Monday. “My simple question is this: why open this for a public vote and then ignore the results?” he asked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2019 7:50 PM

You never heard about those two junkie whores until five minutes ago. Why weren't they talked about over the last 50 years if what they did was so important?

by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2019 7:57 PM

[quote]Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera, pioneering transgender activists who were at the vanguard of the gay rights movement...

That is complete hyperbole. They were basically two homeless tranny/drag queens used as feel good mascots by the gay movement, who learned over decades how to dine out on their loose Stonewall connection. Sylvia Rivera did actual advocacy but I'm not sure how effective it all was, but she still was an actual player for a short while, at least on paper.

They are both used by people to push the modern trans agenda.

by Anonymousreply 35August 19, 2019 8:08 PM

That’s okay. The Statue of Liberty was supposed to be about slavery, but the immigrants hogged it all up.

by Anonymousreply 36August 19, 2019 8:15 PM

R33 the de Blasios are such hardcore SJWs! Bill, in particular, is the perfect example of a self-loathing white with white guilt and a white savior complex.

by Anonymousreply 37August 19, 2019 8:33 PM

I led it. I said, "Girls- whatever you do- make it witchy".

by Anonymousreply 38August 19, 2019 8:53 PM

[quote]“This monument counters that trend of whitewashing the history.”

Because revisionist history is so much superior to, you know, actual historical facts.

[quote]“Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” ― George Orwell, 1984

I guess we know who is currently in control.

by Anonymousreply 39August 19, 2019 9:30 PM

The “Repeat After Us” part of the billboard in r10 is something only men would say.

by Anonymousreply 40August 19, 2019 9:50 PM

Putting aside the history rewrite, how does one action net you a statue? Mother Cabrini got screwed in this decision and I say that as an ex-Catholic. Cabrini did more good in one day than those two did in their whole lives. I see Chirlaine is going out with a major 'fuck you' to her detractors. I hope her embezzlement is investigated after diBlasio leaves office. A goddamn shanda.

by Anonymousreply 41August 20, 2019 11:55 PM

I'm not and have never been Catholic, but Mother Cabrini did a tremendous amount of good works for the people of NY and also in other cities. She certainly deserved to be honored.

by Anonymousreply 42August 21, 2019 12:07 AM

Bill de Blasio and his wife and his education chancellor are racist.

I am trying not to wish terrible things on them, but.

by Anonymousreply 43August 21, 2019 12:21 AM

[quote] Mother Cabrini did a tremendous amount of good works for the people of NY and also in other cities. She certainly deserved to be honored.

Not on my watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 21, 2019 2:28 AM

When does the monument go up?

by Anonymousreply 45September 7, 2019 6:39 PM

It’s to the point where there’s nothing we can do. The trans have won. We lost. All we can do now is separate ourselves (Gay Men and Women) from what is now LGBTQIA+ and create our own little community. I can’t believe gay teens are going to have to come into this kind of world as gay men.

by Anonymousreply 46September 7, 2019 6:45 PM

Oh for fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 47September 7, 2019 6:52 PM

I ADORE these two bitches! I'm OK with the trans revisionists as long as these 2 get more recognition. Though it's a pity.

I loved old fashioned trannies and transgenders. I don't know WTF happened with today's crop of fame whore identity politics trans, they are mostly insufferable, but they are the most visible. There are still plenty of the old fashioned gays/gals who are trans around the world.

by Anonymousreply 48September 7, 2019 7:33 PM

What did these two transgender activists do again? Secured gay rights or something similar?

by Anonymousreply 49September 7, 2019 8:28 PM

We should all vandzlize these statues with stickers saying "NOT Trans....Gay men!"

by Anonymousreply 50September 7, 2019 8:28 PM

The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson is a good documentary to learn about the coolness of this GAY MAN.

by Anonymousreply 51September 7, 2019 8:30 PM

Sylvia Rivera was a genuine activist in the GAY RIGHTS MOVEMENT and also trannies. She(He) was quite a character, flawed, but strong, and very outspoken. The tranny side of Sylvia and Marsha wasn't celebrated by factions of gay activists at the time. But still, they were cool. If the disgusting TRANS fame whores of today want to coop these two, that's a pity. But I don't think we gay men should ALSO rewrite history to say these 2 were nobodies and unimportant. We can just remember something of the truth and also remember there are a lot of shadows and today's TRANS pigs can't deal with "grey". It's all black or white.

by Anonymousreply 52September 7, 2019 8:35 PM

So what acts did these activists do?

by Anonymousreply 53September 8, 2019 4:16 AM

R53 They sucked alot of cock and sold alot of drugs, so of course they are tranny icons

by Anonymousreply 54September 8, 2019 4:33 AM

Mostly they just called themselves "activists", occasionally showed up like sad-yet-revered mascots for the Gay Pride Parade/March and learned how to cadge free meals from their ever more creative tangential connections to the Stonewall Riots, which were mostly fabricated.

I can't tell you exactly what their "advocacy" entailed, nor can anyone else. They were basically poor, bedraggled street hustlers who needed the free meals and teeny bit of fame their stories could earn them. How many homeless crossdressing street people do you know who are effective social justice operatives? Oh, and can you buy me a fried egg sandwich and a cup of coffee?

Marsha can be seen in a few photos of the events of the first or maybe second night of Stonewall dressed as a man, waaaay in the back row smiling broadly, surrounded by gay white men. See photo- Marsha in white shirt). Does he look like he's been throwing bricks?

Johnson stated early on that Rivera wasn't even there, but instead already drunk and passed out thirty five blocks away in Bryant Park. None of these facts are secrets, but younger gays are so lazy and disinterested in facts anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 8, 2019 4:43 AM

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha.

by Anonymousreply 56September 8, 2019 5:38 AM

R6

They put the Stonewall statues in blackface and slapped a clown wig on them. SJWs are extremely racist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 8, 2019 10:09 AM

I'm starting to think there is no such thing as "peak trans."

This is the most "the emperor has no clothes" moment of my adult life.

by Anonymousreply 58September 8, 2019 10:12 AM

Sylvia robbed my neighbor on Perry Street, W. Village, of his credit cards and jewelry while cleaning his apartment. She even had the nerve to accept the money for cleaning at the time. This poor guy was recovering from a stroke and needed help, not a drugged up tranny who steals. He was an easy victim and she took full advantage. Luckily, he was able to get her out of his life after that. She was an ugly piece of shit with no human decency...everything was about her and for her, a true sociopath. Good luck to all your tranny revisionists who think these are good people.

by Anonymousreply 59September 8, 2019 10:57 AM

What about Rachel?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 8, 2019 11:11 AM

Or Candy Darling?

She was much more closely aligned to current "trans" than the other two (she considered herself a woman, not a drag queen, right?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 8, 2019 11:12 AM

So gay rights finally happened in 2015 and lasted all of like 2 years until they were just folded into the trans agenda.

by Anonymousreply 62September 8, 2019 11:23 AM

R55 dismissing younger gays as lazy is annoying though. Whose fault is it that you lost control of the narrative, r55?

by Anonymousreply 63September 8, 2019 11:26 AM

I’m sorry but as much as this is revisionist bullshit, so are many of the stories and bullshit you all are saying.

Stonewall was not only white men, there was always at least a couple of black gay men in there also, and a couple of lesbians and Hispanics. There was almost always at least 1 black man with his white gay friends there. This idea it was all white is NONSENSE.

Many Trannys were not allowed in gay spaces back then. Many gay bars did not allow Trans people in, even in the 80s. Stonewall did. That is one bar Trannys and Drag Queens frequented.

Marsha and Sylvia were street hustlers, LIKE MOST NYERS AT THE TIME. You know, ACTUAL NEW YORKERS. Not TRANSPLANTS like yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 64September 8, 2019 12:39 PM

R63 It's true. Look at any RPDR thread. Any place on Reddit where young gays congregate. They speak in absolutes; they don't do shades of gray. And always, always hyperbole.

by Anonymousreply 65September 8, 2019 3:53 PM

R65 Tell us all about the thousands of trannys running around NYC in the 60s, great wise lying cunt

by Anonymousreply 66September 8, 2019 6:55 PM

NOOO!

r64, you are still CREATING MORE "FACTS"!!

Stonewall was NOT EVER A TRANNY BAR! You sound delusional, so unwilling are you to admit that actual HISTORICAL facts do not comport to your silly SJW gibberish!

by Anonymousreply 67September 8, 2019 9:41 PM

That poster didn't say it was "tranny bar" - only pointed out that occasionally trannies got away with being inside.

by Anonymousreply 68September 8, 2019 9:43 PM

I never said it was a Tranny Bar. You put those words in my mouth r67. You also sound hysterical.

I said it was a bar that did allow them.

by Anonymousreply 69September 8, 2019 9:57 PM

[quote]I said it was a bar that did allow them.

Stonewall did NOT ALLOW them! It was NO HAVEN to anyone wearing women's clothing, although a couple might have slipped by! It was as intolerant as any because cross dressing was AGAINST THE LAW and would get an already illegal "gat bar" shut down! Where are you getting your information? Your friends who are under 25 years old? Try Google!

by Anonymousreply 70September 8, 2019 10:02 PM

Pete and Chasten Buttigieg promote these lies.

by Anonymousreply 71September 8, 2019 10:04 PM

The revisionism is nauseating. The SJW/Trans activists are taking advantage of the fact that 99% of the people who were actually there are long-dead.

by Anonymousreply 72September 8, 2019 10:26 PM

Kamala Harris, another Gay Rights historian has also stated that these brave trans women of color gave us our rights! That's how I knew she was a craven opportunist and idiot!

by Anonymousreply 73September 8, 2019 10:51 PM

Why are you all bitching about it now? The WORLD Pride Parade was literally dedicated to these two.

by Anonymousreply 74September 8, 2019 10:55 PM

[quote]Many gay bars did not allow Trans people in, even in the 80s. Stonewall did. That is one bar Trannys and Drag Queens frequented.

Then this loon says:

[quote]I never said it was a Tranny Bar. You put those words in my mouth...

I don't believe that children are our future.....

by Anonymousreply 75September 9, 2019 12:17 AM

"most" NYers were hustlers? That seems illogical, if the majority were hustlers, who would hire them?

by Anonymousreply 76September 9, 2019 12:50 AM

In the late 60s, 70s and 80 NYC had a lot of street hustlers. Whites were a minority and fleeing the city.

by Anonymousreply 77September 9, 2019 12:53 AM

Preach it r28! I can only imagine the courage it took for people like Frank Kameny and Barbara Gittings to be openly gay back in those days. We owe them so much, but all you ever hear about are these junkie street whores and how they were responsible for everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 9, 2019 1:24 AM

Oh shut the fuck up.

Yes it’s so brave for white People to risk not making as much money.

Give me a fucking break. Thank God you all are the minority worldwide and it’s getting smaller by the year.

by Anonymousreply 79September 9, 2019 1:27 AM

r64 absolutely DID imply stonewall was a tranny bar, and everyone calling her out is 100% correct. I was going to post about it later, but found you beautiful historically accurate queens beat me to the punch. r64, stop with the LIES!

by Anonymousreply 80September 9, 2019 1:34 AM

I never said it was a Tranny bar. I said they would go there. Doesn’t mean it’s THEIR bar.

by Anonymousreply 81September 9, 2019 1:36 AM

r79 They did in fact risk everything.

by Anonymousreply 82September 9, 2019 1:47 AM

Sylvia Rivera herself said that trans weren't allowed in Stonewall.

by Anonymousreply 83September 9, 2019 1:47 AM

Is it me or does the wording on the sign in R78 look fake and not a font one would expect for that era?

by Anonymousreply 84September 9, 2019 1:50 AM

They risked NOTHING. R82

by Anonymousreply 85September 9, 2019 1:51 AM

R84 it’s photoshop

by Anonymousreply 86September 9, 2019 1:51 AM

Their livelihoods for one r85. But anyway there's no arguing with a person like you so just forget it.

by Anonymousreply 87September 9, 2019 2:26 AM

Good. Maybe they need to feel what their black and Hispanic counterparts feel everyday r87

by Anonymousreply 88September 9, 2019 2:27 AM

Keep on being a victim, and you'll get nowhere in life.

by Anonymousreply 89September 9, 2019 2:34 AM

I’m 32 and somewhere trash. Maybe you should step in our shoes before looking down on us CRACKER

by Anonymousreply 90September 9, 2019 2:36 AM

R90 Fuck you are an idiot, never breed

by Anonymousreply 91September 9, 2019 2:50 AM

r91 none of us are breeding, that's what being gay is all about. Anyway, r88 is a troll confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 92September 9, 2019 2:52 AM

[quote]I’m 32 and somewhere trash.

You got that right, at least.

by Anonymousreply 93September 9, 2019 2:53 AM

Read up on Barbara Gittings. We owe her so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94September 9, 2019 3:03 AM

You old white men think the world still revolves around you. Things are changing. That’s why now you need to claim non whites as white to keep your numbers up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 9, 2019 3:12 AM

Thank GODDESS r95 has Oprah Winfrey to pray to every day.....

Otherwise his exalted racism wouldn't look quite so "sassy"!

by Anonymousreply 96September 9, 2019 3:30 AM

Minorities can’t be racist.

by Anonymousreply 97September 9, 2019 3:33 AM

R95 Are you The Vixen? Your inferiority and persecution complexes are really strong

by Anonymousreply 98September 9, 2019 3:35 AM

[quote]Minorities can’t be racist.

Hardy HAR!!

by Anonymousreply 99September 9, 2019 4:11 AM

This trans appropriation of gay men of history reminds me of the Mormons who "convert" non-Mormon historical figures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100September 11, 2019 10:17 PM

Erase and rewrite history......we are so in Orwellian times it is unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 101September 13, 2019 10:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!