Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Juan Castano discusses his Fluid sexuality

"I am, as my friends say, on the spectrum." by Lawrence Ferber 5/27/2019

In the first season of neo-noir Netflix series What/If, Renée Zellweger chews scenery as Anne Montgomery, a manipulative venture capitalist who offers a would-be biotech innovator, Lisa (Jane Levy), $80 million to fund her company in exchange for a night alone with Lisa’s strapping husband, Sean (Blake Jenner).

A self-aware, soapy riff on 1993’s Indecent Proposal (the characters explicitly acknowledge this!) from Revenge creator Mike Kelley, What/If also sees Lisa’s gay brother, Marcos (Juan Castano), face his own crisis of monogamy and trust when he and boyfriend Lionel (John Clarence Stewart) invite charming third Kevin (Derek Smith) into their bed.

Castano, who also appears in Netflix’s upcoming Tales of the City and played Zachary Quinto’s husband in the 2015 ex-gay drama I Am Michael, had a legit revealing chat with NewNowNext about the self-discovery queer roles (and being Quinto’s onscreen bae) have afforded him—even if he didn’t get $80 million in the bargain.

So to get it out of the way, how do you identify as far as your sexual orientation? I would say that for the majority of my life I identified as straight, but as I got older I think my sexual preference has gotten more fluid. I am, as my friends say, on the spectrum.

Did playing Marcos assist with that fluidity? Yeah. It wasn’t the first time I played gay, but it was my biggest gay role [to date]. When I first had to kiss another man, it was in a play in New York six or seven years ago, Minotaur. I kissed this guy, and you’re rehearsing over and over, and it didn’t feel that different from kissing a woman. Then on I Am Michael it was the same thing. It feels really nice. I think what’s important is that as long as there is a connection with a human being that feels good it doesn’t make a difference if it’s a man or a woman. I would say playing Marcos solidified that for me simply because spending that much time with a character you fall in love with them and what they’re going through.

What do you like best about Marcos as a character? I like that he’s kind of quiet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2021 5:27 AM

How did you and John, who plays Lionel, prepare for this? Did you know each other beforehand? No, it was the first time we met. We got along great! We ran into each other at Equinox gym, which is funny. I was cast first and had seen his audition tape, so I already knew what he looked like, and we ran into each other and we started talking. We get along very well. All three of us: Me, John, and Derek.

You also have some great scenes with Derek. Derek and I are great friends. It’s always really nice when you meet someone as passionate and as intense as you are about the work. I loved our scenes together because he would come prepared. He made choices and knew what he wanted to do.

Courtesy of Netflix We need to talk about the threeway scene. Would you like that to become an NSFW meme? I am hoping it will! I also just absolutely love that Mike Kelley didn’t shy away from it. It’s long! That scene is long! Graphic is not the word, but they don’t shy away from everything. People do this, whether other people like it or not. It’s reality. So I love Netflix and Mike said, “This is what this scene will be and look like this.”

Marcos doesn’t seem to have any scenes with Renée’s character, but did you get to meet her? Yes, I met Renée. She’s very sweet. But our stories don’t really cross. I was hoping our characters would meet!

What can you tell us about Flaco, your character in Tales of the City? We’re so psyched! I play a guy who is basically hooking up with someone gender-transitioning from female to male, and as they do that their sexual preference is also expanding. As a woman, she was in a relationship with another woman, but as they transition, they become interested in men. This person is going through all of these changes, and I’m there to say, “Hey, it’s all good, whatever you’re feeling, don’t have shame in any of this. I’m here and if you want to have a good time and spend the night, we can.”

Finally, how should people approach What/If when settling in for a binge? I would say be open, and that this show lives in a world of its own. It’s a neo-noir thriller and there’s nothing like it on TV right now. The style can be jarring in the beginning, but once in their world, you can accept it for what it is and it’s a fun ride.

by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2019 12:14 PM

God, I hope he doesn’t mean sexually fluid in the way Jack Mackenroth showed us he is when he opened up his ass on camera and let out a waterfall of lube and semen.

by Anonymousreply 2May 29, 2019 12:19 PM

Wait 'til I google him to see if I care........ Nope.

by Anonymousreply 3May 29, 2019 12:21 PM

[quote]"I am, as my friends say, on the spectrum." by Lawrence Ferber

They mean you're autistic.

by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2019 12:28 PM

Watching one episode a night I saw the second episode last night. The gay couple and the gigolo seem out of a totally different show, pointless and a waste of time to the program Netflix sold me on watching.

By exactly the same token I don't care also about the black cheating doctor wife being pregnant by her hospital chief of staff. It just seems like filler.

I tuned in for a show about Jane fighting Renee. These secondary sluts may fill diversity quotas but they aren't doing much for the interesting main story. Give them their own shows if they are all that interesting.

by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2019 12:31 PM

I really enjoyed the show. Stick with it. Just fast forward through the cheating doctor stuff like I did. You don't miss a damn thing. It has no impact on the main story. The gay couple intersects with the main story though.

by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2019 12:37 PM

I remember this guy from auditions ten years ago. Skinny, nerdy and with acne covering both cheeks. I don't get how he is booking so much work.

by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2019 12:40 PM

R7, you have some very negative issues dude. Get help

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2019 12:53 PM

I liked how in the scene in the gay bar he says he has a dad bod but once you see him in bed he has a six pack.

by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2019 12:56 PM

R8 I'm just keeping it real snowflake.

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2019 12:59 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2019 3:55 PM

He’s cute

by Anonymousreply 12May 30, 2019 5:03 PM

Good for him. He has more balls than that coward Richard Madden will ever have.

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2019 9:10 AM

[Quote]These secondary sluts may fill diversity quotas but they aren't doing much for the interesting main story. Give them their own shows if they are all that interesting.

Welll... Marcos was carrying a secret about Jane. He is part of the storyline.

by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2019 9:13 AM

R5 see R6 for the part about the gay storyline.

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2019 9:14 AM

So is he gay or no? He likes kissing guys but only does it for work....

Estupido

by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2019 9:28 AM

R16 Yeah, that confused me too, lol.

by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2019 10:56 AM

who cares

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2019 12:11 PM

I do

by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2019 12:29 PM

Is anyone not fluid nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 20June 2, 2019 12:32 PM

Hope more will become Fluid. We need more football players and firemen to become fluid. Too many skinny effete guys are Fluid now

by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2019 12:34 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2019 1:26 AM

Fluid is great

by Anonymousreply 23June 4, 2019 4:13 PM

But is he saying he's fluid just because he doesn't hate kissing guys? Is he really "fluid" or just open minded? Has he ever dated men or had sex with men? I'm so confused.

by Anonymousreply 24June 4, 2019 4:34 PM

[quote]"I am, as my friends say, on the spectrum."

He's autistic ??

by Anonymousreply 25June 4, 2019 5:26 PM

He’s so cute

by Anonymousreply 26May 5, 2021 1:28 AM

I knew this thread had to be old because of the Blake Jenner part.

by Anonymousreply 27May 5, 2021 1:29 AM

So he's really just bi, got it?

by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2021 5:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!