Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Enough Already, ‘The Lighthouse’ Performance Proves Robert Pattinson Is More Than Worthy Of Respect [Cannes]

Despite what the Batman backlash might indicate, Robert Pattinson has come a long way from his sparkly vampire days. Pattinson made his first major appearance as Cedric Diggory in “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,” but it wasn’t until his leading role in the “Twilight” saga in 2008 that he became a household name. Since the end of “Twilight” in 2013, Pattinson set to work amassing a fair few indie titles in his filmography, from “Good Time” to last year’s “High Life,” directed by Claire Denis.

After the announcement that Pattinson would play Batman in the upcoming Matthew Reeves film, the news of Pattinson’s casting has stoked the vitriolic flames of Internet backlash. Our records indicate that, on the whole, Pattinson’s body of work is more substantial than the legions of incensed film bros on Twitter would have you believe.

But perhaps none of his other titles are as convincing as his latest — and this is coming from a self-professed “Twilight” detractor whose early adolescence was inundated by glittery Pattinson iconography, to great annoyance. Yet even this critic, who diligently avoided Pattinson-related media for most of middle school, has to admit that Pattinson excels in his latest role. It feels particularly auspicious that the Batman casting news coincides with the premiere of “The Lighthouse,” Robert Eggers’ provocative black-and-white horror film, which screened as part of the Directors’ Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival (our review), and somehow was mysteriously not part of the Cannes competition line-up (one of the most dubious Cannes decision in years).

read more ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2019 9:22 PM

He and Kristen Stewart are making some very interesting and admirable choices in their careers: ("Personal Shopper"; "Good Time" and many more).

So glad they had the courage to not get stuck in a franchise doing "Twilight: Part XI".

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2019 2:43 PM

Robert Eggers’ #TheLighthouse Wins Major International Film Critics Prize at Cannes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2019 5:14 AM

Trailer.

In theaters October 18.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 30, 2019 4:30 PM

I realized his true abilities when I saw him in DAWSON'S 50 LOAD WEEKEND.

As 'Fluffer #2' he not only brought passion to his role but was so convincing that I really thought it was his real calling.

by Anonymousreply 4July 30, 2019 4:36 PM

The trailer is superb.

by Anonymousreply 5July 30, 2019 5:05 PM

Gorgeous poster.

What's with the mermaid's tail, though? Or is that a spoiler?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 30, 2019 5:06 PM

Ugh... I can imagine some DLer who went to Cannes coming in here and spoiling the film. If you're reading, please don't!

R6, there's a brief shot of a mermaid in the trailer. There also seems to be some sort of tentacular creature as well, which delights me.

by Anonymousreply 7July 30, 2019 5:07 PM

He will take it to the awesome level if he presents cock and hole on screen. For now, he's only respectable for me.

by Anonymousreply 8July 30, 2019 5:12 PM

r7 Thanks for the warning; I thought it takes place on dry land only. So I definitely can't even check out the trailer because I have severe megalohydrothalassophobia. Even linking that poster nearly made me faint. Oh, well.

And yes, please don't anyone spoil the movie. You can always create a separate spoiler thread and discuss the spoilers in the replies.

by Anonymousreply 9July 30, 2019 5:14 PM

R9 The majority of the trailer takes place in the lighthouse. There's only a underwater shot of the mermaid's tail. Hopefully it's not enough to trigger you. I suggest watching it as it's such a great trailer!

by Anonymousreply 10July 30, 2019 5:17 PM

But.....the FACE! It's hideous.

by Anonymousreply 11July 30, 2019 5:21 PM

🙄

by Anonymousreply 12July 30, 2019 7:47 PM

New trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 9, 2019 5:04 PM

Remember when Robert Pattinson lied about watching a performer die at the circus?

by Anonymousreply 14September 9, 2019 5:07 PM

“So glad they had the courage to not get stuck in a franchise doing "Twilight: Part XI".“

What courage? They never quit the franchise. It was the franchise that quit them when it ran out of shit books to make into shit movies.

Trust that if Twilight XI is green lit, those two will be back. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 15September 9, 2019 5:28 PM

It looks really creepy.

by Anonymousreply 16September 9, 2019 5:44 PM

Let me guess: one of them is an imagination of the other.

by Anonymousreply 17September 9, 2019 6:20 PM

He's only 33 years old.

Movie has interesting visuals and is atmospheric, but you can tell nothing about the actual characters or their story.

by Anonymousreply 18September 9, 2019 6:26 PM

R15 The franchise was sabotaged hy leaks. Some think an actor was leaking the last book.

by Anonymousreply 19September 9, 2019 7:16 PM

r17, I bet both of them are the imagination of the lighthouse, which got bored being out there all by itself.

by Anonymousreply 20September 9, 2019 7:37 PM

A filthy fat greasy frau started this thread since I only see 4 replies, that or a filthy fat greasy rump supporter. Anyway fraus are the only ones defending lady fingers as batman.

by Anonymousreply 21September 9, 2019 7:48 PM

r21 We really don't need to know the detailed breakdown of your ignore list. Seriously, no one cares.

by Anonymousreply 22September 9, 2019 7:50 PM

Reviews are out and they seem pretty great, for the most part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2019 10:47 PM

He looks terrible. He looks sixty, rather than thirty-three. Did he need to lose weight for this role? He looks like an addict, or someone seriously ill. I wonder if he's improved his personal hygiene as well. It's been said he leaves a foul wake wherever he goes.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2019 10:56 PM

[quote] He and Kristen Stewart are making some very interesting and admirable choices in their careers

I have to admit, she almost looked like a half-animated corpse in the new Charlie's Angels trailer.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2019 11:00 PM

R21 This isn't the airport, honey. We don't need you to read out who's on your list, or announce arrivals and departures.

Have a seat.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2019 11:01 PM

Omg, the cam version is out. I know what I'm doing tonight, honey. 💅

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2019 9:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!