Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Ohio State Groper

Ohio State has concluded that a team doctor sexually abused at least 177 men, including many varsity athletes, while working for the university in the 1970s, ’80s and ’90s. The university also found that college officials knew about the actions for years and did not act to stop them.

In a 182-page report issued Friday, Ohio State said the doctor, Richard H. Strauss, who committed suicide in 2005, had groped students, required them to strip, and asked intimate questions about sexual practices under the guise of providing medical treatment.

[bold]Strauss was team physician for several sports, including men’s swimming, wrestling, gymnastics, fencing and lacrosse[/bold]

Guess he only liked white meat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 27, 2019 2:49 AM

[quote] OP: Ohio State has concluded that a team doctor sexually abused at least 177 men, [bold] including many varsity athletes, [/bold] while working for the university in the 1970s, ’80s and ’90s.

I know that OP is only quoting the article, but I laughed with black humor when reading this. As if the varsity team is more important than not.

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2019 6:02 PM

Should I be offended that I was at OSU during that period and he never groped me?

by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2019 7:05 PM

Did he examine you?

by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2019 7:06 PM

No, but I did

by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2019 7:39 PM

It has been reported that many of the victims were Ohio State football players

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2019 9:17 PM

I live in Columbus and have been hearing this for too long now. They've got like 150 accusers now with their hands out, trying to get some of the inevitable billionaire dollar $ettlement. How does one prove abuse? Or is the university like the Catholic church- dispersing blank checks just to get it over with?

My only question is: wtf lays there and lets someone grope their junk? They were all adults!

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2019 9:21 PM

R6, he had power over them. Why are you siding with an abuser? Are you a sociopath?

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2019 9:31 PM

And I loved it. I LOVED it!

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2019 9:32 PM

Ended in suicide? God, what a cliché.

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2019 9:35 PM

Without pics this thread is meaninglessness.

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2019 9:36 PM

Yeah I need to see a picture of the doctor before I can decide if I'm appalled or jealous.

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2019 9:44 PM

Look, I think we all wanna know how this (dis)impacts Sen Gym Jordan (R)-OH.

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2019 9:56 PM

^^THIS!

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2019 10:00 PM

R6 I asked that question about the young men at USC and was accused of being a sociopath on that thread. I guess I was just a cynical college boy because I would have identified Dr. Perverted's M.O. immediately.

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2019 10:03 PM

[quote]Or is the university like the Catholic church-

You mean like letting it go on for a hundred years, covering up for pedophiles, transferring an accused abuser to another school without informing anyone who he was or why he was reassigned repeatedly, paying the rent on apartments solely used for criminal sexual escapades right there in the heart of the school's administration, and when victims came forward, harassing (or worse) them into silence, and pretending like the whole thing was just a one-off occurrence of a misguided individual who was excused because of the position he held in society?

[quote]dispersing blank checks just to get it over with?

You say that like it's a bad thing...

[quote]wtf lays there and lets someone grope their junk?

...queries someone who obviously never participated in the rarified air of highly competitive, exclusionary and patriarchal college sports, where one offhand remark can see you kicked off the team and banned from school sports nation-wide.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2019 10:09 PM

Is there video proof of all those virile young men who were asked to strip?

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2019 10:10 PM

Video has surfaced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2019 10:15 PM

I'm in no way excusing what happened here and elsewhere with my comments.

So much of the creepy shit we are now openly dealing with through MeToo and having Trump as president, this stuff was the norm when I was a kid. Adults were corrupt and self-seeking and demanded unquestioning obedience. Grift and graft were normal. Pedo rumors about adults were common and likely true. My parents warned us about several men in our town. But I learned as a teen that there were even more chesters that nobody knew about. If you were a kid in the 60s-90s, you were a potential molestation victim from many of the adults in your life. And yes, other adults protected the wrongdoers and attacked the whistleblowers every time.

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2019 10:22 PM

How the hell is that on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2019 10:24 PM

I was young during that time. You know open nudity in locker rooms. Guys showering together. Coaches in the cages. Men and boys naked around each other.

I must have been too fucking ugly. It sure as hell didn't happen around me nor anybody I knew about.

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2019 10:48 PM

And I'm not saying it didn't happen to others. Just that I was extremely homely and unattractive so that while it may have been swirling all around me I was completely oblivious.

by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2019 10:53 PM

18 posts before it's a Trump thread. Just a tinch below average for the treason gals.

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2019 11:24 PM

r21, maybe you should have gone to Penn State or Ohio State

by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2019 2:39 AM

Groped 177 guys.....that's in Kevin Spacey territory

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 19, 2019 2:56 AM

Dr. Perv obviously was quite pervy on those guys if so many remember how gross it was. Ohio State should pay out if they knew and swatted it away for years.

by Anonymousreply 25May 19, 2019 3:09 AM

He was also in the Navy (of course) and was a team doctor at Harvard - did he abuse anyone there, too? Someone needs to do some digging.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 19, 2019 3:11 AM

R22's contributions to Datalounge including calling AIDS "ass cancer." Where is my pic of that one piece, I wonder?

by Anonymousreply 27May 19, 2019 3:12 AM

I wrote ass cancer because the topic of what AIDS was being called at the time came up within the thread. Here's where you can read me calling you a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 28May 19, 2019 3:18 AM

Some of the men suing Ohio State are football players who played in the NFL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 19, 2019 3:18 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 19, 2019 3:22 AM

" It sure as hell didn't happen around me nor anybody I knew about. "

Even now, talking about sexual abuse with your Bros is against the Guy Code, back then the average high school or college-age jock boy would DIE before he admitted that he'd been sexually abused by an older man. His pals and fellow jocks would be much more likely to attack him for being gay or submissive, or failing to defend his manhood or failing to control the situation, than to be sympathetic or supportive. So young men kept quiet.

And that's why pervs like that could get away with it for years and years, especially one like this who had the power to do harm. If he said there was a physical reason the jocks couldn't play they were off the team and lost their scholarships, so that kept them quiet. At least some of the guys had the balls to go to the administration, and if the administration kept that guy on after multiple complaints then they deserve to lose every dollar they're about to lose.

by Anonymousreply 31May 19, 2019 3:58 AM

It’s a crappy University

by Anonymousreply 32May 19, 2019 5:23 AM

Now, I am about to perform a penis procedure that sounds a lot like tonsillectomy. It's a tonsil.lick.do.me.

by Anonymousreply 33May 19, 2019 5:34 AM

Wow R 29, if that's true though that some of the accusers are among the ranks of the NFL, methinks it's gonna be harder for the likes of Rep. Jordan to wriggle his way "scott free" this time.

by Anonymousreply 34May 19, 2019 5:40 AM

[quote]Why are you siding with an abuser? Are you a sociopath?

Are you a woman?

by Anonymousreply 35May 19, 2019 5:44 AM

If he was hot - or even average ( I'm a whore darlin' ) I'd have let him do it . If not I'd have stopped it . What's the big deal ?

by Anonymousreply 36May 19, 2019 5:50 AM

This thread is making me INCREDIBLY HORNY.

by Anonymousreply 37May 19, 2019 2:27 PM

It all sounds very hot - especially the rec center steam room activity back in the day

by Anonymousreply 38May 19, 2019 4:15 PM

r35, what does being a woman have to do with it? The victims are all male. r38, it probably wouldn't be that "hot" to a straight man

by Anonymousreply 39May 19, 2019 5:29 PM

Agree with those who said the guys he did this to were afraid to tell anyone.

Apparently, several of them told their coaches but the coaches dismissed it as nonsense. The coaches were probably afraid as well.

In those big, visible schools with the name recognition sports programs, nobody wants to jeopardize their own job or the school's reputation.

In the first place, many of those coaches are hoping to move up to the pro ranks. Even if they aren't, other coaches in the other athletic programs are and they won't take too kindly to have the school name and athletic departments dragged thru the mud.

Athletes who speak up can get kicked off the team and coaches who speak up can be "let go". People quickly learn this and learn to keep their mouths shut.

Especially then young men who may have been worried about being seen as "queers".

It's disgusting that people get away with this.

by Anonymousreply 40May 19, 2019 6:59 PM

R40, thanks for a sane perspective. Can't believe some of the victim blamers around here.

by Anonymousreply 41May 19, 2019 10:02 PM

In addition to what R40 said...

Some if not all college football programs are very authoritarian. The coach has the power to kick any player off of his team and cancel any athletic scholarships involved, so for anyone who's not a star player, your education and your future depends on the coach's goodwill. Some coaches abuse this power and are dictatorial assholes to their student-athletes, certainly there are coaches who'd ruin a kid's future because he might make the team look bad, because he was suspected of being gay, or he directly or indirectly questioned the coach's authority. And yes, the coach's first priority is to win enough games to get himself a job in the NFL, so they sure as hell don't want any scandal attached to their name, so yes. There are definitely college football coaches who'd hush up any perving done by their staff.

by Anonymousreply 42May 20, 2019 6:00 AM

r2, I guess the doctor wasn't a chubby chaser.

by Anonymousreply 43May 20, 2019 1:51 PM

More about the football players

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 20, 2019 6:11 PM

[quote]I live in Columbus and have been hearing this for too long now. They've got like 150 accusers now with their hands out, trying to get some of the inevitable billionaire dollar $ettlement. How does one prove abuse? Or is the university like the Catholic church- dispersing blank checks just to get it over with? My only question is: wtf lays there and lets someone grope their junk?

You may lived there, but clearly you didn’t go to this or any other college, based on your writing skills.

by Anonymousreply 45May 20, 2019 7:03 PM

I dated an OSU grad a few years ago. He told me some tales of 1980s cruising in the huge gymnasium, that had a new wing and an old wing with a sauna and a shower hall where lots of cruising, boners and outright sex took place. He liked to describe his college experiences as foreplay. Hot stuff.

by Anonymousreply 46May 20, 2019 7:21 PM

Fuijui

by Anonymousreply 47May 20, 2019 9:14 PM

What exactly did he do? Groped them? What else? Any penetration? I want details!!

by Anonymousreply 48May 20, 2019 9:40 PM

R48, the full report is online. In a few cases, he jerked guys off until they ejaculated. In other cases, he digitally penetrated guys. There was one case where he sucked a patient off, then pulled down his own pants as if he wanted the patient to suck HIM off, but the guy got the hell out of there

by Anonymousreply 49May 20, 2019 10:16 PM

[quote]There was one case where he sucked a patient off, then pulled down his own pants as if he wanted the patient to suck HIM off, but the guy got the hell out of there

Not before, though, huh?

by Anonymousreply 50May 20, 2019 10:59 PM

most football players aren't that hot anyway. Most are just a bunch of fat oompa loompas anyway.

by Anonymousreply 51May 20, 2019 11:02 PM

One thing I forgot is shower voyeurism, he'd shower with the athletes as an excuse to ogle them. One athlete said he'd take 6(!) showers a day.

by Anonymousreply 52May 21, 2019 12:15 AM

The full report

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 21, 2019 3:33 AM

"During the appointment, Strauss also asked Student B if he was gay and asked Student B questions about his sexual desires....Strauss had an erection and pressed up against Student B....Student B also stated that Strauss became immediately cool towards him when Student B told Strauss that he was in stable relationship with a partner."

by Anonymousreply 54May 21, 2019 5:10 AM

bumping

by Anonymousreply 55May 21, 2019 3:51 PM

The doc was not much into the rectal exams. Strictly into cocks.

by Anonymousreply 56May 22, 2019 12:53 PM

The athletes needed this:

@AP

A smartphone app developed by Japanese police is being widely downloaded by women trying to protect themselves from gropers on packed rush-hour trains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 22, 2019 2:09 PM

R56, I think at least a couple guys said he digitally penetrated them

by Anonymousreply 58May 22, 2019 2:45 PM

As salacious as these details are, I just want the informatiin in this case to circle back around to Jordan NOW! Step down, get him off the playing field and resign in disgrace! Is that too much to ask?

by Anonymousreply 59May 22, 2019 2:53 PM

People are calling out Gym Jordan on facebook

by Anonymousreply 60May 23, 2019 8:26 PM

Gym Jordan needs to be dragged into this scandal as frequently and loudly as possible.

He's such a drama queen toadie.

by Anonymousreply 61May 23, 2019 9:57 PM

Gym is a fraud and a freeper asshole

by Anonymousreply 62May 24, 2019 2:15 AM

Sounds like he worked his way through the football team:

Dayton attorney Michael Wright said he represents about 60 victims, including about 50 former football players, who will file suit later this week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 24, 2019 2:17 AM

Approximately 30 wrestlers and gymnasts described a sexualized and voyeuristic atmosphere in the Larkins men's locker room, showers, and sauna area....The student-athletes described the voyeurs as men who appeared to be college-aged, as well as older men appearing to be in their 60s, who were routinely present in the men's locker rooms, showers, and sauna, watching the student-athletes shower....students also described how certain voyeurs would engage in masturbatory type of behavior (e.g. vigorously "soaping" their genitals), or masturbate while watching the students shower (typically from within a nearby toilet stall), as addressed further below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 24, 2019 4:28 PM

I wonder how many of the men were kinda stimulated by the groping (some of them ejaculated) and didn't report it due to feelings of shame about that?

by Anonymousreply 65May 24, 2019 5:14 PM

"The student-athletes described the voyeurs as men who appeared to be college-aged, as well as older men appearing to be in their 60s"

Larkins Hall was open to anyone affiliated with the University: alumni, current and former students and staff, etc. I met several gay guys in the 80s who said they worked out there and I thought it was odd at the time, to go to a campus to do that.

by Anonymousreply 66May 24, 2019 5:19 PM

What I find incredibly haunting is how eerily similar all these tales of sexual abuse by priests, teachers, doctors, and coaches are. The victims are vulnerable, conditioned to trust authority figures. And we live in a culture that prizes stoicism and assertiveness from men. It ends up with the victims blaming themselves for what happened, or experiencing shame that they allowed themselves to be used by these men.

Like the Catholic Church, this is an institutional failure on the part of universities and schools. They protect themselves at the expense of the victims.

Rep. Jim Jordan disgusts me. He knew what was going on. Like others, he turned a blind eye to what was going on. Now, he says the report vindicated him. He's just like the craven despot he serves, who believes the Mueller Report vindicated him!

by Anonymousreply 67May 24, 2019 5:53 PM

Oh, the poor darlings. "He touched my wee-wee!! He touched my wee-wee!!"

by Anonymousreply 68May 24, 2019 6:31 PM

R68 thinks straight men love being groped by other men

by Anonymousreply 69May 25, 2019 3:04 AM

New lawsuit. 37 athletes are suing Ohio State for covering up the abuse. Most are football players.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 30, 2019 3:17 PM

Which football players got groped?

by Anonymousreply 71May 30, 2019 7:47 PM

Why do they file these lawsuits after the perp is dead and, therefore, can’t do jail time? As far as I’m concerned, this guy got away with it.

by Anonymousreply 72May 30, 2019 10:00 PM

R72, they are suing the university for covering up the abuse.

by Anonymousreply 73May 31, 2019 7:03 PM

That doesn’t surprise me, they have the deep pockets. My point was this guy is dead. He will face no consequences for this.

by Anonymousreply 74May 31, 2019 7:20 PM

One of the groped wrestlers is suing Gym Jordan's cousin for harassing him!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 1, 2019 2:31 AM

Gym Jordan is getting hammered on twitter

by Anonymousreply 76June 4, 2019 9:30 PM

Gym should get hammered every day, everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 77June 4, 2019 9:59 PM

True

by Anonymousreply 78June 5, 2019 3:26 PM

Good

by Anonymousreply 79June 5, 2019 3:42 PM
by Anonymousreply 80June 5, 2019 3:51 PM

Gym Jordan has meth mouth and jock itch.

by Anonymousreply 81June 5, 2019 5:25 PM

How many wrestlers did he suck off with that mouth?

by Anonymousreply 82June 5, 2019 5:37 PM

When I read stuff like this I wonder- what was going on with those athletes? Yes he should have been disciplined- fired. I too was a college athlete- letter man (varsity) all 4 years. I was 6'2" and 180 lbs. If any coach groped me (against my will) I would have twisted his arm off or decked him. And I'm gay, and I knew I was gay back then. I didn't give a rats ass about power when it came to my personal safety, then or now. So I wonder.

Now if this happened to me when I was 11 or 12 or younger- very different.

by Anonymousreply 83June 5, 2019 5:54 PM

"If any coach groped me (against my will) I would have twisted his arm off or decked him. And I'm gay, and I knew I was gay back then. I didn't give a rats ass about power when it came to my personal safety, then or now. So I wonder."

Sure you would *rolls eyes*

Guys say stuff like this, because they think it makes them seem more macho. In reality, you probably would have been too intimidated to do anything, like all those big football players and heavyweight wrestlers

by Anonymousreply 84June 5, 2019 5:56 PM

R83, it wasn’t the coach, it was a team doctor. Big difference. They may not have put themselves in the mindset of “groping” as much as necessary for the exam at the time.

I hope I’m being clear. As a patient, if your doctor says “you need a prostate exam, bend over,” at college age, I doubt you’d think anything untoward of it. That’s how these guys get away with this shit.

“I need to feel for a hernia....”

by Anonymousreply 85June 5, 2019 7:29 PM

More people are suing the school - and they're calling out Gym Jordan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86June 13, 2019 2:39 AM

Text of the new lawsuit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 13, 2019 11:57 PM

Gym Jordan is a piece of shit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 13, 2019 3:21 PM

Jeffrey Epstein's former best friend, Les Wexner is a BIG donor to Ohio State University

by Anonymousreply 89July 13, 2019 4:20 PM

^ wow, I didn't know that.

by Anonymousreply 90July 13, 2019 4:25 PM

[r71] Which football players got fingered?

by Anonymousreply 91July 13, 2019 5:40 PM

r91, don't know. So far they are all anonymous.

by Anonymousreply 92July 15, 2019 7:25 PM

Every time I see this thread I read it as "grouper" and think its about fish!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93July 15, 2019 7:44 PM

Where’s the videos? Pictures? Only then can I make an informed opinion.

by Anonymousreply 94July 15, 2019 7:55 PM

Here ya go:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 16, 2019 2:39 AM

"He saw me naked!"

"He touched my wee-wee!"

"My wee-wee got hard and so he started stroking it!"

"Precum started oozing out of my wee-wee, so he put it in his mouth."

"I ejaculated and he swallowed it!"

"He stuck a finger into my butt and I groaned, so he put two fingers in!!"

"He took out his erect penis and shoved it in my butt, and I screamed with pleasure!"

"When he was finished, he grabbed my head and kissed me aggressively and told me he loved me."

"When I got back to my dorm I started thinking I might be gay, and that's when I knew that HE WAS A MONSTER!!"

"I've thought about that encounter a thousand times when I masturbate, and after I'm done and wiping up my cum, I'm reminded that though this was the most exciting thing that ever happened to me, it was wrong and I cannot think of myself as gay."

"Whenever I have anonymous sex at truckstops and steam rooms, I think back to my time with the doctor, and hate him for falsely making me think I was gay."

"He must be destroyed."

by Anonymousreply 96July 17, 2019 6:20 PM

r96 sounds like a loon. Since when is it okay for doctors to grope their patients? I guess you think every guy who doesn't want to be groped by their doctor is a homophobe (btw, at least one of the victims is openly gay)

by Anonymousreply 97July 18, 2019 3:42 PM

People who are defending this guy are sick.

by Anonymousreply 98July 19, 2019 3:26 AM

Of course he groped them. It was his job to spot hernias. Duh.

And if they got hard, they would still see it is as abuse, but he wouldn't. Double duh.

That said, I hope he had a three way with the Hamm brothers!

by Anonymousreply 99July 19, 2019 3:36 AM

Speaking of Metoo, most serial killers are surgeons, but it will be years before people start taking a more skeptical view of them.

by Anonymousreply 100July 19, 2019 3:37 AM

r99, he groped them in situations that had nothing to do with hernias. Try again. Did you defend Larry Nassar, too?

by Anonymousreply 101July 19, 2019 3:39 AM

I read somewhere that guys who had been “examined “ by the doctor would laugh among themselves when they knew a new teammate was going in for his “exam” because they knew what was going to happen but wouldn’t warn the new guy.

by Anonymousreply 102July 19, 2019 3:54 AM

When I was young I had a handsome young pediatrician. Every exam involved him examining the testicles and holding a finger to the taint and asking you to cough. Every doctor did this and it was considered just part of the job, like when a barber cutting your hair would press his penis into your arm as he was trying to cut your hair. Anyway, one time he did this and my dick sprang erect. He said, "oh" and went and locked the door. The nurse pounded on the door and demanded to be let in. She said, "I won't let you do this, doctor" and so there I was with a hardon for the entire rest of the exam as they bustled around. I tried a few of the moves I used with barbers, like crossing my arms on my chest and extending my hand under my arm to try to grope his crotch. Barbers usually liked this, but the doctor only pushed his pelvis back once or twice, the other times he pulled away which was embarrassing as the nurse could see how far my hand had wandered. Anyway after the exam they asked my mother to wait for fifteen minutes and then she went to see the doctor to "talk" about me. She idolized this doctor, and flirted with him, but when she got back to me she was all business. You're too old for a pediatrician now, she said, we have to find a new doctor. And that was that. I wonder what he said to her, if I was portrayed as a pre-teen sexual predator, or what, but nothing was ever said. Back then perverts had a place as barbers or pediatricians, and it wasn't the cause of hysteria.

by Anonymousreply 103July 19, 2019 4:19 AM

[quote]He said, "oh" and went and locked the door. The nurse pounded on the door and demanded to be let in. She said, "I won't let you do this, doctor"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 19, 2019 11:24 AM

[quote]most serial killers are surgeons,

WTF?

by Anonymousreply 105July 19, 2019 11:24 AM

Wow, there are some sick people posting here

by Anonymousreply 106July 20, 2019 2:50 AM

30 more guys are suing, including a dozen ex football players

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 24, 2019 5:15 PM

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? These adult MEN should have stood up, punched him in the face and called the police. That would have prevented years of assaults.

by Anonymousreply 108July 24, 2019 5:36 PM

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? These adult MEN should have stood up, punched him in the face and called the police. That would have prevented years of assaults.

by Anonymousreply 109July 24, 2019 5:36 PM

"Whatever happened to personal responsibility?"

Um, doesn't that mean taking the responsibility to NOT assault guys? Why does responsibility apply to the victim and not the perpetrator.

"These adult MEN should have stood up, punched him in the face and called the police"

Assault is a crime - Spacey could call the police on THEM and lie about the situation. Who is to say the cops wouldn't side with a movie star over the victim? And Spacey has been beat up before (remember the phone stealing incident?) and it didn't deter him from assaulting other guys.

by Anonymousreply 110July 24, 2019 5:46 PM

Whoops, I was getting this thread mixed up with the Spacey one. Disregard r110, although I think you are silly to think "personal responsibility" only applies to victims but not abusers. They were athletes on scholarship who could easily have their scholarships taken away if they "rocked the boat"

by Anonymousreply 111July 24, 2019 5:51 PM

I bet the doc could spot immediately the type of guy he could molest. Probably some awkward, poor farmboy there on shot-putting scholarship or something, first kid in the family to go to college. Maybe a little horny, maybe a little bi (some of the guys ejaculated).

Typical predator.

by Anonymousreply 112July 24, 2019 7:38 PM

I think this is so gross and sad. But honestly I wonder sometimes if the reaction to these admissions always needs to be lawsuits and settlements. The guy is long dead. Take down the statues for these perverts. Put firm policies in place so this will never happen again, but why does a football player need to be paid money from a college because in 1985 their doctor got them hard during a strep throat exam? I would really be annoyed if I was a student at Ohio State and my education was being cut or limited because of some payout.

Addendum I feel the Catholic Church is different and should pay up to the wazooo.

by Anonymousreply 113July 24, 2019 8:10 PM

[quote]Whatever happened to personal responsibility? These adult MEN should have stood up, punched him in the face and called the police. That would have prevented years of assaults.

Yes, we all would have liked to have done that if we had been in their place. Chances are we would have acted no differently. This doctor was an authority figure to these young men. It's ingrained in us (especially men of their generation) to respect authority figures. This might even be more so with athletes on a team, where the word of the coach or member of the coaching staff is sacrosanct. Plus, oftentimes victims of sexual assault freeze up in terror/disbelief/survival as the assault or abuse is taking place. afterwards, there's a mixture of shame and guilt that keeps the victim silent. They probably beat themselves up asking why they didn't push him away or fight back.

We don't mean to do this, but we're playing into a notion that male victims of sexual abuse or rape are in part to blame for not fighting back. It's as if they were not acting as men should. The reality is that for the above-stated reasons, these men could not just "fight back."

by Anonymousreply 114July 24, 2019 8:17 PM

Went in for heartburn, got milked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 24, 2019 8:20 PM

The closet fucked up Strauss as it did any parish priest.

His actions were criminal, and he should have been punished for them.

by Anonymousreply 116July 24, 2019 8:23 PM

[quote] We don't mean to do this, but we're playing into a notion that male victims of sexual abuse or rape are in part to blame for not fighting back. It's as if they were not acting as men should. The reality is that for the above-stated reasons, these men could not just "fight back."

I know what you mean and you are correct. I think it's hard for some of us to reconcile football players inaction while getting molested with the football players who would kick the shit out faggots like me for fun in school.

by Anonymousreply 117July 24, 2019 8:28 PM

And to continue what R117 said -

we are talking about young men, barely older than HS age. And quite frankly, college men who were at OSU in the pre-Internet age, which meant that they were probably far less savvy about the world, about sex and about guys like Strauss.

Many of these guys came from small farm towns in the region. They may have been on a football scholarship. In any case, this is the bread basket of the country. People follow authority and it's not their first line reaction to question it, let alone reject it, and we are taught from young ages to respect doctors, like firemen and police officers.

by Anonymousreply 118July 24, 2019 8:33 PM

I mean yeah and no. I would think even a small town kid on a scholarship knew that he didn't need to be masturbated to be diagnosed for strep.

by Anonymousreply 119July 24, 2019 8:56 PM

Another contributing factor to the silence around this case and abuse in general was the lack of a supportive environment. To whom could these young men turn? As their testimony and interviews state, their concerns about going to this doctor were brushed off or ignored. Look how even in 2019 with a more supportive environment, abuse still occurs. And denial of it

by Anonymousreply 120July 24, 2019 9:09 PM

R119 Of course. I meant more that they may not have been aware enough to know to question when the guy asked them to take off their pants, etc. for, say, strep.

And as R120 said, they wouldn't have known what to do after.

by Anonymousreply 121July 24, 2019 9:32 PM

Am I the only one who finds this particular allegation just a little bit fishy:

[quote]Nutter said he once contracted poison ivy on his genitals from doing work outdoors, and the pain was so bad that he reluctantly made a late-night call to Strauss, who told him to come to his home. He said Strauss had him lie naked in a candlelit bedroom with photos of unclothed men on the walls and groped him for several minutes.

I’ve worked outdoors almost my entire life. I’ve never gotten it on my dick. In fact, I’ve cruised in woods and never gotten it there. How does that happen? So you call the doctor in the middle of the night, he says come to my house and puts you in a room with candlelight and pictures of naked guys. None of this raised a red flag to you? Then he groped you for “several minutes”?

To be clear, I’m not in any way saying these allegations didn't happen, I just get leery of potential “jump on the bandwagon” people who, since the doctor is dead, may see dollar signs.

by Anonymousreply 122July 25, 2019 10:35 AM

R122 that sounds like a doctor I'd like to make a house call too!

by Anonymousreply 123July 25, 2019 12:23 PM

Admittedly, me too.

by Anonymousreply 124July 25, 2019 1:09 PM

"I would really be annoyed if I was a student at Ohio State and my education was being cut or limited because of some payout."

I'd be annoyed if people at my school knew the abuse was going on and did nothing to stop it. You are missing the point about why they are suing - it's not just that they were abuse, it's that people at Ohio State knew about Strauss and didn't do anything.

by Anonymousreply 125July 25, 2019 3:42 PM

Back then, these boys most likely weren’t even aware of such thing as sexual abuse. They probably just thought the doctor is a big queer who discreetly made them feel good by jerking or sucking them off .

by Anonymousreply 126July 25, 2019 4:21 PM

r126, at least a couple people reported the abuse AT THE TIME

by Anonymousreply 127July 25, 2019 4:31 PM

There’s no way to defend this creep.

by Anonymousreply 128July 25, 2019 5:37 PM

r128 is correct

by Anonymousreply 129July 27, 2019 2:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!