Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends, PRINCESS Lee Radziwill's New York co-op for sale

The DL search function being what it is didn't come up with anything, so here is the listing. The monthly maintenance is only $8,258 and the building is considered to be among the top on the UES.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2019 3:01 PM

Seems like a steal for some wealthy family. Building and location are hard to beat.

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2019 2:34 AM

Nice floor plan. No garage. Subway not convenient being several blocks walk away.. "Discrete" air conditioners, so it must get pretty warm in late summer.

Great place for an elderly shut-in I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2019 2:54 AM

Two pictures of the interior, really?

I'll need to see far more than this.

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2019 2:55 AM

its known as one of the great sleeper buildings pre war on the UES. Her unit is a little smaller than some on lower floors.

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2019 2:59 AM

R3 Scroll down through her earlier homes to see more photos of her last apartment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2019 3:01 AM

I like pink!

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2019 3:04 AM

To go at that price, there must be something wrong with it. And that staff bedroom is tiny.

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2019 3:11 AM

[quote] Not Joey Luft

Obviously not. He likes blue.

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2019 3:13 AM

She should have stayed on Fifth Ave. But, as was so often the case, it just wasn't in the cards for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2019 3:19 AM

[quote] And that staff bedroom is tiny.

Yeah, it's only 6'11" wide. It is 12'8" long, though.

The elevator opens right into the apartment ("private vestibule").

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2019 3:22 AM

It’s a great apartment.

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2019 3:23 AM

Those pix are wonderful, R5.

Thank you for posting.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2019 3:32 AM

I'm surprised it's got a galley kitchen. Don't most people these days want a spacious, open plan kitchen with center island?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2019 3:41 AM

R13 , that apartment was built long ago, before the open concept kitchen trend. In those days (if you were of that class), you had servant(s) hidden away, cooking your dinner. That floor plan shows that there is a small "servant's room."

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2019 3:44 AM

Too much traffic on East 72nd. The noise would be annoying.

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2019 6:16 AM

Love it. Love everything about it. Perfect elegant layout and it all makes sense. Generous but not monster sized rooms, and NO OPEN FLOORPLAN/Great room nonsense! The price is very fair too. I'm not crazy about the UES, but this is an excellent location and price.

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2019 7:37 AM

Town & Country has photos from her apartment. It looks like they are from a magazine shoot and not from the real estate agent. The bedroom and living room looks pretty much the same as in the photos above.

I don't care much for the vivid patterns that cover the walls and the furniture. It looks suffocating and the apartment has too small rooms and too low ceiling for it to work. I very much prefer her Parisian apartment that was light and airy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 8, 2019 7:56 AM

I doubt that whoever buys this place will worry much about how far they are from the subway, R2. That's the staff's problem.

by Anonymousreply 18May 8, 2019 8:12 AM

Caftan friendly too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 8, 2019 8:23 AM

Any more photos found?

by Anonymousreply 20May 8, 2019 8:17 PM

Christies catalogue of Lee's possessions. Nothing special or remotely valuable or interesting. Bitch had to sell her baubles years ago when she was broke. Underwhelming flotsam really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2019 12:40 PM

I love R2's bitchy line: Great place for an elderly shut-in I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2019 1:49 PM

Surprised the auction is so small and you’re right, there’s nothing really there for sale.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2019 3:59 PM

It is a nice building - but don’t think I would want to be on such a busy street. The UES is so NY rich1960s-70s. But some amazing architecture. I’ve always liked it - but it does seem sterile and almost suburban in some parts.

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2019 7:41 PM

I read in the AD article in 1975 regarding her 5th ave co op that she had a francis bacon painting. I would wager that got sold off long ago to keep her afloat. Hope she got a lot of money for it.

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2019 10:49 PM

Was this the pad Jackie bought for her, or the previous on Fifth Ave?

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2019 11:06 PM

Her stuff is up for auction today, including a biography on Jackie On Assistance with Lee's notes written in the margins of the pages that mention her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2019 5:08 PM

Lexington? Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2019 5:11 PM

From R27's link:

[quote] “The funniest thing is the book is saying how Jackie would scribble comments in the margins of newspaper articles about herself, and Lee writes [in the margin], ‘Totally false.’ But she is doing it!”

by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2019 5:13 PM

[quote]I'm surprised it's got a galley kitchen.

Unless one is a caterer, I've never understood the need for a large kitchen. You put the entree in the oven, soup is simmering on the stove top, you make a salad on the counter while everything's cooking ... it's not like you're feeding tons of people, most of the time.

Even if you're baking, how much room do you actually need to roll out dough?

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2019 5:22 PM

That's a crazy maintenance. The building probably has financial problems.

by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2019 5:26 PM

Beautiful but odd-looking sisters.

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2019 5:48 PM

The kitchen is cramped, but right next to it is the staff room. Remove one wall, redo the kitchen, perfect.

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2019 5:49 PM

But it's a bearing wall, Miss Crawford - -

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2019 5:53 PM

The matching wallpaper and furniture is obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2019 5:57 PM

People of Lee Radziwill's class had no need for a large kitchen, they rarely ever went in the kitchen. That was for staff.

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2019 6:01 PM

Ick to the wallpaper, everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2019 7:04 PM

Lee fancied herself to be a decorator - -

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2019 7:20 PM

The price probably reflects a need for updating and the maintenance probably is more representative of what would be justified for an updated unit. I'll bet the kitchen and baths are out of date and there might be some flooring or plaster that has seen better days. And that blinding wallpaper--my God that would distract anyone from the possibilities of this place.

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2019 7:22 PM

All these complaints about the kitchen. As if she ate...

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2019 8:00 PM

Some of her collection is being auctioned at Christie's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2019 8:29 PM

Looks like your gran's place.

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2019 8:30 PM

"All these complaints about the kitchen. As if she ate..."

Meanwhile the vodka closet was a temperature controlled walk-in with a lovely 18th century Viennese tasting table and a quartet of wing chairs upholstered in a Schumacher velvet.

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2019 9:15 PM

Ick to the wallpaper, everywhere.

It's fabric, not wallpaper. And most of you don't understand the lifestyle, class, and generation Radziwill came from, and her history, when you judge her design aesthetic.

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2019 7:23 AM

We don't need no stinkin' [italic]facts!

by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2019 3:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!