Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The black women who saw the alt-right threat coming

Really good article about women who exposed a bunch of right-wing trolls who pretended to be liberals and black women on the internet, in order to stir up hatred against Democrats. The trolls were able to fool commentators on the right like Tucker Carlson, who believed their posts were real.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 24, 2019 5:26 AM

[quote]Rooted in the particular Southern black dialect of the South Florida community where Hudson grew up, the phrase “Your slip is showing” refers to something that’s meant to be concealed but is, embarrassingly, on full display. In this new context, it took on another layer of meaning: Along with outing the imitators among black feminists, #YourSlipIsShowing exposed the malice those imitators felt toward the very people they were attempting to mimic.

Sorry, I have to call bullshit on that, I am neither black nor from South Florida and I have heard that phrase my whole life. Also, I've witnessed this from both sides on Twitter, and from factions within both sides towards others on their side. Such as some of the antics of BernieBros. It is why I never respond or share anything that seems to be way out there, until I check out the account and research it. Sadly, within social media, I am an anomaly.

by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2019 4:21 AM

r1 sounds like one of the trolls. No, it's not coming from both sides.

by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2019 4:25 AM

R2 YES THE FUCK IT IS. AND THE FACT THAT YOU CAN'T ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IS WHY WE ARE IN SUCH A POSITION AS WE ARE, YOU FUCKING MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even with Russia, the Mueller Report has plenty of examples of Russians posing as both sides to rile people up. And, domestic trolls do the same thing. While some trolls are idealogical, most of them are not, they just want to create a shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2019 4:31 AM

R3, settle down.

Even though some Russian trolls were pretending to be Sanders supporters, that was still done with the same goal of hurting Clinton and dividing the left to further enhance Trump's chances.

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2019 4:36 AM

Agreed, r3. I'm not sure why people dispute that Russia played both sides when it has frequently been in the media.

by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2019 4:39 AM

r4 nailed it. Man, do freepers have to invade EVERY thread?

by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2019 4:40 AM

It was way more than just Sanders supporters, r6. BLM for one. I find it frightening that people like you and r4 are that ignorant of something that has been widely reported on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2019 4:45 AM

The anthem controversy for another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2019 4:47 AM

The Mueller probe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2019 4:51 AM

R7, yes I'm aware of the BLM activity of Russian trolls. They also targeted LGBT groups.

Look at one of their BLM creations (linked below): see a theme?

The discord they sowed on the left seemed to have a strategic purpose that goes beyond creating chaos for chaos' sake. In addition to the more obvious examples like this one, it seemed to be the case to make the left look so extreme and idiotic to further hurt the left's chances. Hurting the right didn't seem to be a major strategic goal, in contrast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2019 4:54 AM

R10, it's way more than just politics. What they are trying to do mis ignite a culture war and it seems to be working.

by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2019 4:58 AM

The culture war started because white cops keep killing black people who aren't carrying weapons. Russian trolls might add gas to the flames, but the flames are already there.

by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2019 5:02 AM

There was only one campaign caught paying trolls. I won't give you her name but it starts with and H, ends with a Y, and it's cunt.

by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2019 5:04 AM

This highlights the disturbing reality that there is no difference between political streams. Both are bigoted, authoritarian and reactionary.

by Anonymousreply 14April 24, 2019 5:10 AM

"The trolls were able to fool commentators on the right like Tucker Carlson"

Because that's so difficult.

by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2019 5:11 AM

If anyone uses reddit, I've noticed a big rise in the amount of right-wing trolls over the past few years.

by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2019 5:13 AM

R14 one side is full of men willing to drive cars into groups of people, send bombs to top ranking government officials, and empty machine guns into church congregations...there is a difference.

by Anonymousreply 17April 24, 2019 5:16 AM

R17 There is NO difference. The ideology may claim to be different, but the tactics and goals are identical.

by Anonymousreply 18April 24, 2019 5:19 AM

R18 You need to read the Mueller Report. Some tactics and goals might be the same, not all. There is a difference.

by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2019 5:23 AM

R19 You need to develop perspective and an understanding of political and social history.

by Anonymousreply 20April 24, 2019 5:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!