Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is the University of Pittsburgh like?

I mean campus-wise. Nice area? Nice campus?

(I've done the research about the program I'm interested in but not sure about the location of the school.)

Is there a good website to find out this kind of info?

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2019 2:41 PM

Is there a good website to find out this kind of info?

Like google earth ?

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2019 6:22 AM

Oakland, where it and Carnegie Mellon are located, is a nice enough neighborhood. You won't want to live in South Oakland, an undergraduate slum, but adjacent Squirrel Hill and Shadyside have decent apartments. You can take the bus to school for free, and Pitt has its own bus system as well.

How old are you? What program? What's the address of your intended school?

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2019 7:16 AM

University of Pittsburgh School of Computing and Information

University of Pittsburgh School of Information Sciences 135 North Bellefield Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15260

I'm 24.

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2019 7:47 AM

Well, you could live in North Oakland and walk to school. It's a nice neighborhood. Will you have a car? Parking is difficult (metered) and expensive.

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2019 7:49 AM

The Cathedral of Learning is the main building at Pitt. Google "4200 Fifth Avenue 15260" to Street View it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2019 8:34 AM

I don't know r4. Is it the kind of place where you need one? I hadn't thought about that. (I have a car but didn't think about if I was going to bring it or not.)

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2019 9:00 AM

Pennsylvania crime map shows 792 assaults, 35 shootings, 100 burglaries, 508 thefts, 39 robberies, 159 vandalism, and 1468 arrests over a one month period. The previous month crime map in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania showed 665 assaults, 16 shootings, 79 burglaries, 460 thefts, 35 robberies, 124 vandalism, and 1468 arrests.

According to the reports SpotCrime receives from local police agencies, crime overall in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is currently up by 12% when compared to the previous month.

Property crime such as theft, vandalism, and burglary is up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, property crime and overall crime have both increased this month, with property crime increasing by 15% when compared to the previous month.

Violent crime including shootings, assaults, and robberies is up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, violent crime and overall crime have both increased this month, with violent crime increasing by 20% when compared to the previous month.

by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2019 9:41 AM

r6, Pittsburgh is a place where you'll want a car. However, you probably won't use it much of the time. You can get a neighborhood sticker for on-street parking in most neighborhoods, including Squirrel Hill/Greenfield, Shadyside, Bloomfield, East Liberty, Lawrenceville, and Oakland (Pittsburgh's East End). Many of the main streets are metered though, and you have to pay there regardless of whether you have a neighborhood sticker.

Lawrenceville is the Williamsburg of Pittsburgh, if that's your thing. Poorly constructed onetime millworker housing for the most part, but the hippest bar and restaurant scene. You can really smell your neighbors' houses if there's been any subsidence.

Shadyside had the best rental apartments at one time, many built in the '50s and '60s. Until recently, they were among the best rentals, because there hadn't been any new rental construction in some time. Now, East Liberty and Oakland have new apartments. They're the nicer places, and cost accordingly. Shadyside, too. Check with walnutcapital.com for some of the better apartments. They allow dogs and cats, which sets them apart from 99% of Pittsburgh landlords, who HATE pets.

The buses are convenient in all of these neighborhoods (Lawrenceville and Bloomfield have the fewest).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2019 10:20 AM

Can you study information systems at Carnegie-Mellon instead? Their computer and business students get jobs when they graduate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2019 2:32 PM

The Carnegie museum is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2019 2:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!