Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Los Angles Times

What a crappy paper. Why bother.

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2019 1:51 PM

Has it always been this way?

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2019 5:48 AM

THEY AIN'T THE ONLY ONE HONEY

by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2019 5:49 AM

For many years I had it delivered. I loved the morning ritual of reading the paper first thing in the morning, while drinking my coffee and waiting to move my bowels. (TMI?)

The paper got thinner and thinner. What used to take me about 45minutes to get thru, I could do in about 12. I canceled the delivery and paid for it online. Then that turned into a complete waste. I stopped paying but received it for free for many months. They finally caught on and I can't sign in anymore. I'd like to say I miss it. I do. The LA Times from 10 years ago. But not the waste of paper it is now.

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2019 5:55 AM

To think that New York has both the New York Times and the Newyorker, and Los Angeles this crap.

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2019 6:03 AM

P.S.

This Newyorker tote is ubiquitous in LA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2019 6:04 AM

I like the LA Times. The reason papers are getting thinner is because there is less advertising. People are reading less and can get so much news for free online. The biggest mistake newspapers made when the Internet came along was to offer their content for free. Would you give away your company's product for free? As for major daily newspaper, journalists work very hard and deserve to be paid just like the the rest of us for our jobs. I support my major daily because I want newspapers to survive even if eventually is will be all online.

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2019 6:05 AM

I used to love reading the Calendar and Metro section in fold-and-crease. Also when Jonathan Gold took over as food critic from the dreadful S. Irene Virbila. I only read the occasional article that pops up on my Google News feed.

I do occasionally like Los Angeles Magazine.

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2019 6:07 AM

They barely have movie listings anymore. I have to go online to see what's playing nearby and the times of showings.

by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2019 7:33 AM

I get the paper for $3 a year, because I work in education. The Sunday paper is delivered and the rest is online. My problem with the delivery is that they drop it off at the edge of my driveway. It's basically on the sidewalk and gets stolen if I don't get up early enough to take it.

by Anonymousreply 9April 22, 2019 7:46 AM

R9. Could you ask the delivery person to deliver the paper closer to your door?

by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2019 10:58 AM

I tried but it is their policy to leave it at the END of the driveway. So dumb. It's practically on the sidewalk. I did have one delivery person who threw the paper on the steps leading to my house, but this new one obviously is following the rules.

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2019 5:34 AM

The only thing keeping newspapers alive is [italic]Garfield[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2019 5:52 AM

It's softer than the Sears catalog

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2019 11:52 AM

[quote]The Los Angles Times

I guess they had to fire their proofreaders.

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2019 1:46 PM

Yeah, R13, but it doesn’t have men’s underwear ads in full color.

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2019 1:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!