Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sri Lanka blasts: At least 138 dead and more than 560 injured in multiple church and hotel explosions

Explosions occurred during Easter services at churches in the cities of Colombo, Negombo and Batticaloa. Additional blasts ripped through three hotels, the Shangri La, Cinnamon Grand and Kingsbury Hotel, all in capital city Colombo, according to state broadcaster SLRC.

At least 20 foreigners are among the dead in Colombo, according to hospital Director General Anil Jasinghe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112May 4, 2019 9:58 PM

The religion of peace at work, I'm betting.

by Anonymousreply 1April 21, 2019 9:08 AM

I'm not religious -and I don't believe in hell ...but I hope there is one, for anybody who intentionally targets hospitals, schools, or a peaceful house of worship (no matter what the faith).

That's fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 2April 21, 2019 9:17 AM

directrelief.org --- legit, global aid, donations go to country of your choice. There was just another explosion a few mins. ago.

by Anonymousreply 3April 21, 2019 9:48 AM

Islam

by Anonymousreply 4April 21, 2019 10:10 AM

So easy to say that Muslims were behind these attacks. They must be the cause for everything that goes wrong in the world according to many small-minded people. Too early to blame anyone. Seems that OP just wants to spread fear and mistrust rather than grieve. Which is what we all should be doing at this time.

by Anonymousreply 5April 21, 2019 2:14 PM

R5, fuck you! Anyone with a brain knows damn well who is responsible.

by Anonymousreply 6April 21, 2019 2:25 PM

Some people did something.

by Anonymousreply 7April 21, 2019 2:31 PM

Could be Buddhists.

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2019 2:33 PM

The left is doing everything in their power to deflect blame from Muslims! Not going to work

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2019 2:51 PM

Trump’s Muslim ban was the smartest thing he ever proposed.

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2019 2:55 PM

They are very fine people on both sides.

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2019 2:55 PM

Yes r10

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2019 2:55 PM

Sri Lanka would make a perfect testing ground for nuclear bombs.

by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2019 2:57 PM

We destroyed the Middle East and North Africa, killing, displacing and causing to be killed, hundreds of millions of people , mostly Muslims. Much of our destruction was driven by Zionist and Military Industrial Complex control of Weatern foreign policy,

But our hands are spotless, huh? Fucking hYso rites.

by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2019 3:04 PM

Oh wait, I forgot about our relentless attacks on Afghanistan and Pakistan.

by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2019 3:06 PM

R14 - you’re so funny

by Anonymousreply 16April 21, 2019 3:07 PM

R14, is a raghead

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2019 3:11 PM

There’s doesn’t seem to be as much as sympathy from the internet as the New Zealand mosque shooting. Leftists hate Christians:

by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2019 3:15 PM

R13. WTF? It's apparent you know nothing of Sri Lanka.

by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2019 3:16 PM

It's most likely Buddhist extremists. Sri Lanka is full of hardcore Buddhist purists who want ALL other religions driven from the island. Since the defeat of the LTTE, the Buddhist extremists have focused their ire on Christians (Burghers), because they hold a disproportionate amount of wealth and power, being the descendants of Portuguese, Dutch and British colonists.

It's natural for those uninformed about Sri Lankan history to point the finger at Muslims, but the Muslim population there is both small and non-confrontational. Throughout the civil war, they did their best to stay out of conflict between the Sinhalese Buddhist majority and the Tamil Hindu minority.

Speaking of which, the Tamil Tigers were the pioneers of suicide bombing, a tactic which Islamic terrorists later adopted with enthusiasm. However their beef is not with the Christian population, so it's unlikely that Tamils are responsible for these attacks.

by Anonymousreply 20April 21, 2019 3:22 PM

Suicide bombers are a unique gift Islam has given the world.

R14, muslims have been pulling this shit continually for 1,400 years. You are actually justifying a complete ban on Muslim immigration, perhaps expulsion as well, since you seem to say they are justified in blowing up their infidel neighbors, which is just one of their many ways of committing violence against infidels as ordered and sanctified by their Islamic god.

by Anonymousreply 21April 21, 2019 3:32 PM

R20, is just being a willful retard

by Anonymousreply 22April 21, 2019 3:36 PM

[quote]Suicide bombers are a unique gift Islam has given the world.

R21 is misinformed. No doubt Islamic terrorists are responsible for most suicide bombings in the world today. But it was the LTTE who pioneered its use in guerrilla warfare. They were the world leaders in suicide terrorism for more than 20 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 21, 2019 3:42 PM

Sri Lanka is magnificent and generally the people are very friendly Fabulous food One of my favorite vacation spots. Bourdain's episode is a good introduction for those interested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 21, 2019 4:32 PM

The suicide bombers were identified as Zahran Hashim and Abu Mohammed, according to a link someone posted in the other thread about this topic.

by Anonymousreply 25April 21, 2019 4:34 PM

Apparently there were seven arrested but no names have been revealed yet. The silence speaks volumes you know?

by Anonymousreply 26April 21, 2019 4:53 PM

Only 26 replies so far?

by Anonymousreply 27April 21, 2019 4:55 PM

I stand corrected, R23.

by Anonymousreply 28April 21, 2019 5:04 PM

Islam is a virus. They have the world in their palm . They don’t care what they do, they will invariably defend.

by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2019 5:06 PM

The perpetrators were militant Muslims who targeted another minority group. If they had attacked major Buddhist sites during a festival there probably wouldn’t be a Muslim population within a week. Would love to hear from Ilhan and Linda on this. It’s certainly “something”.

by Anonymousreply 30April 21, 2019 5:13 PM

Muslims and Jews...troublemakers of the world.

by Anonymousreply 31April 21, 2019 5:41 PM

R24

I have a ton of airline miles and hotel points banked up, and would absolutely love to go to Sri Lanka, but haven't gotten my act together to use them to plan a trip yet. Years ago when I lived in New York the ex and I would sometimes go to a Sri Lankan restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 32April 21, 2019 5:46 PM

Gee, think this was provided by those who belong to that alleged religion of peace ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 21, 2019 5:55 PM

R33, so are you posting from Vladivostok or Moscow.

R20 thoughtfully explains the dynamics of the decades long civil war in Sri Lanka. Other posters, who didn't know Sri Lanka existed 10 hours ago, wrong!

by Anonymousreply 34April 21, 2019 6:13 PM

R20: could this be the work of outside Muslims?

For those curious about gay Lankans...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 21, 2019 6:21 PM

And still no one cares. How sad.

by Anonymousreply 36April 21, 2019 6:22 PM

This just in: That little annoying Palestinian chick Leen Dweik who accosted Chelsea Clinton says she blames Gal Gadot for the Sri Lanka blasts.

by Anonymousreply 37April 21, 2019 6:26 PM

Cinnamon Grand Hotel, one of the hotels hit

I'm a bit surprised the hotel where most UN and NGO staff stay - i won't name it here - wasn't hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 21, 2019 6:57 PM

I would have thought a Hilton or other chain, but I guess they have good security?

by Anonymousreply 39April 21, 2019 6:59 PM

I went to SL a few years ago for 3 weeks. Unbelievably gorgeous and way cleaner than India. Food was incredible.

by Anonymousreply 40April 21, 2019 8:35 PM

Zahran Hashim and Abu Mohammed

Definitely Islamist attack

by Anonymousreply 41April 21, 2019 8:55 PM

R41, the Islamic lovers will never accept

by Anonymousreply 42April 21, 2019 9:19 PM

Lived in Colombo for a year, stayed in the gorgeous and truly 5-star Cinnamon Grand my first month. Shocking events today. Nothing like this has ever happened in Sri Lanka, way different from the war.

by Anonymousreply 43April 21, 2019 9:28 PM

what r42 said.

by Anonymousreply 44April 21, 2019 10:17 PM

Update:

[quote] "A foreign intelligence agency has reported that the NTJ [National Thowheeth Jama'ath, a radical Muslim group in Sri Lanka] is planning to carry out suicide attacks targeting prominent churches as well as the Indian high commission in Colombo," the alert said, according to AFP.

[quote] Officials are yet to officially say who they believe is behind the attacks.

[quote] The Tamil Tigers, once a powerful rebel army known for its use of suicide bombers, was crushed by the government in 2009, and had little history of targeting Christians.

[quote] While anti-Muslim feeling has swept the island in recent years, fed by Buddhist nationalists, the island has no history of violent Muslim militants.

Looks like I was wrong about the perpetrators likely being Buddhists. I based that opinion on the fact that, as the article above notes, the Muslim community in Lanka has no history of violent extremism, plus recent years have seen the rise of a militant Buddhist movement, the BBS. However, it looks like the perpetrators were Muslims, and, what's more surprising, homegrown ones, not foreigners.

This is really bad for the people of Sri Lanka, the majority of whom (Sinhalese, Tamil, Muslim and Christian) are peaceful and non-extremist. Beautiful country, beautiful people, before this I would have urged everyone to visit there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 22, 2019 8:28 AM

[quote]This is really bad for the people of Sri Lanka, the majority of whom (Sinhalese, Tamil, Muslim and Christian) are peaceful and non-extremist.

Rubbish! The Sinhalese Buddhist and Tamil Hindus have been in conflict with each other for decades for dominance and control. As Tamil Muslim population increases, they are challenging Sinhalese dominance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 22, 2019 8:58 AM

R14 Islam destroyed the Middle East and North Africa (and East and West Africa and much of Asia) long before "we" knew those regions existed. The West and the Jews are not the cause of Muslim misfortune. Islam is.

by Anonymousreply 47April 22, 2019 9:14 AM

And speaking of lying to protect their fetish, the BBC reported that ""It remains unclear who was behind the attacks, but 24 arrests were made by police", even though other media had already reported that two of the attackers were Muslims.

by Anonymousreply 48April 22, 2019 9:20 AM

Mainstream US media is largely ignoring this Muslim terrorist attack, focusing instead in the Mueller report.

by Anonymousreply 49April 22, 2019 10:40 AM

Oh, what a surprise!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 22, 2019 11:38 AM

Morning Joe had a feature on it. Fox and CNN featured it on their morning shows.

by Anonymousreply 51April 22, 2019 12:16 PM

They gave more coverage to New Zealand because unfortunately Sri Lanka is a third worldwide country.

by Anonymousreply 52April 22, 2019 12:41 PM

They gave more coverage to New Zealand because Muslims were killed by Whites. Anything else would have been largely ignored just as this is being largely ignored.

by Anonymousreply 53April 22, 2019 12:47 PM

Ceylon sounds nicer. I don't know why they changed but I guess they didn't want to be confused with the tea.

by Anonymousreply 54April 22, 2019 12:48 PM

Lol. The tea is from Sri Lanka .. formerly Ceylon .

by Anonymousreply 55April 22, 2019 12:51 PM

Horrific.

I love when you hear the inevitable “Islam has nothing to do with it” knee jerk reactions. If not, why are all suicide bombers Muslim? How many Christians or Jews have blown themselves up in Islamic countries?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 22, 2019 1:07 PM

[quote]I love when you hear the inevitable “Islam has nothing to do with it” knee jerk reactions. If not, why are all suicide bombers Muslim?

I don’t know. Maybe you should ask Barack Obama.

He was the loudest peddler of the “Islam has nothing to do with it” line of bullshit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 22, 2019 1:34 PM

It wasn’t the Buddhists?! I am shocked!! Muslims are so peaceful

by Anonymousreply 58April 22, 2019 2:26 PM

Of course!

by Anonymousreply 59April 22, 2019 5:09 PM

[quote]Trump’s Muslim ban was the smartest thing he ever proposed.

Mohammad Salman Hamdani was worth 100 Trumps. While Trump was running around on 9/11 crowing that his building was now the tallest building in New York City, Hamdani was racing to the scene of the disaster, to help his fellow Americans, and died when the buildings collapsed.

But of course it's an amazing idea to ban people from the country based on their religion. So very American an idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 22, 2019 5:20 PM

r60 is a one post troll. Keep that in mind.

by Anonymousreply 61April 22, 2019 5:25 PM

No one throws troll claims around like an actual troll. It's easy to check someone's posting history, r61, which you may not know, having come over here from Gab, no doubt.

Meanwhile it's noted that you can't respond to the substance of my post, so we will take that as your surrender on the subject of your bigotry and an acknowledgement of your feeble debating skills.

by Anonymousreply 62April 22, 2019 5:36 PM

R57 When you need to understand how we ended up with President Trump, it's good to look back at stuff like this. Obama played right into their hands by not addressing Islamic terrorists.

by Anonymousreply 63April 22, 2019 5:54 PM

[Quote] No one throws troll claims around like an actual troll.

Sure, Jan.

[Quote] It's easy to check someone's posting history, [R61], which you may not know, having come over here from Gab, no doubt.

r62/hon, I've been at the DL since the first month. YOU HAVEN'T, DEAR. Where am I trolling? Be specific. You can't but nice try, hon.

by Anonymousreply 64April 22, 2019 6:05 PM

r62 is now a two post troll.

by Anonymousreply 65April 22, 2019 6:07 PM

Typical. Yet people will try to deflect the blame to ANYONE but Muslims.

The media buries the words “Islamic terrorists”. Yet it’s the Jews “who control the media”. ??

WTF??

by Anonymousreply 66April 22, 2019 6:20 PM

Just say radical extreme MUSLIM terrorists like they are.; can't live with people of other faiths and don't want to see others being happy. Just evil.

by Anonymousreply 67April 22, 2019 6:58 PM

The Muslims just had a different idea of an Easter egg hunt.

by Anonymousreply 68April 22, 2019 7:18 PM

[quote]Typical. Yet people will try to deflect the blame to ANYONE but Muslims.

[quote]The media buries the words “Islamic terrorists”. Yet it’s the Jews “who control the media”. ??

Priceless. Poisonous bigot happily proclaims his poisonous bigotry, then is aghast at other peoples' poisonous bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 69April 22, 2019 7:21 PM

It's not like he's wrong. I was there when reddit furiously censored all mention of Islam in the Orlando massacre. The /news mods deleted a post for blood donations ffs. Some lefties have the most warped fondness for Islam as seen in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 70April 22, 2019 7:28 PM

"Fondness for Islam." What a bizarre bunch of bigoted trolls.

by Anonymousreply 71April 22, 2019 8:00 PM

Islam’s biggest contribution to the world is the suicide bomber.

by Anonymousreply 72April 22, 2019 8:02 PM

[Quote] Priceless. Poisonous bigot happily proclaims his poisonous bigotry, then is aghast at other peoples' poisonous bigotry.

Your overuse of the word "bigot" tells us you true identity, hon / Jan / limey.

by Anonymousreply 73April 22, 2019 8:16 PM

R71 is a black Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 74April 22, 2019 8:21 PM

R69 is psychotic. The lost he quotes contains no bigoted statements. Simply facts about the Easter massacre.

by Anonymousreply 75April 22, 2019 9:18 PM

Why do Anti-Islam trolls act like there is one Islam? There are many sects and interpretations of Islam.

by Anonymousreply 76April 22, 2019 9:30 PM

[quote]So easy to say that Muslims were behind these attacks

That's because they were.

by Anonymousreply 77April 22, 2019 9:31 PM

Interesting how the headline at NPR reads. I’ll post it without comment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 22, 2019 9:33 PM

r76, one word in Islam for lying.

by Anonymousreply 79April 22, 2019 9:35 PM

Exactly r76. There are lots of ways to kill gay men!

by Anonymousreply 80April 22, 2019 9:52 PM

The coverage for Sri Lanka vs NZ are like night and day. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 81April 22, 2019 9:56 PM

[quote]There are many sects and interpretations of Islam.

All of them are evil.

by Anonymousreply 82April 22, 2019 10:10 PM

How crazy R78!

NPR is accusing Sri Lanka of "blaming" the terrorists. How dare they??? Did Sri Lanka not get the memo.....you can NEVER blame Muslims for their own actions!!! It has to be the West's fault!

"After Sri Lanka Attacks, Islamist Group Blamed And Victims Named"

by Anonymousreply 83April 23, 2019 12:01 AM

One more bomb today. Sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 23, 2019 1:33 AM
by Anonymousreply 85April 23, 2019 7:39 AM

Wonder what the want these terrorists?

You know the one answer

by Anonymousreply 86April 23, 2019 9:31 AM

The terrorists want Christian nations, especially US, to stop supporting Israel who are occupying their land. Christian countries are letting Israel run their own self righteous creep agenda. Literals thieves.

If we ceased to send Israel billions of $ in aid, all this terrorist shit would STOP tomorrow.

That's why they're always pulling attacks. The US government just overrides our citizens & our citizens take the brunt. Flying, airports changed.

And it's all pressure from those crazy southern christians who believe a prophecy occurring in Jerusalem from their interpretation of the bible. Look it up!

by Anonymousreply 87April 23, 2019 9:44 AM

The only time I give Sri Lanka a second thought is when one of their “beautiful” women galumph across the stage in Miss Universe.

by Anonymousreply 88April 23, 2019 11:27 AM

[quote]Obama played right into their hands by not addressing Islamic terrorists.

To say nothing of his terrible handling of the Pulse nightclub massacre because the murderer was Muslim. It was in the government interest to shut down debate as quickly as possible and the media colluded to oblige.

by Anonymousreply 89April 23, 2019 11:39 AM

R87 Hi Ilhan ( or is it Rashida ? )

by Anonymousreply 90April 23, 2019 12:40 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91April 23, 2019 1:07 PM

Time:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 23, 2019 1:13 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 23, 2019 1:15 PM

Asia Times:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94April 23, 2019 1:18 PM

by Anonymousreply 95April 23, 2019 4:42 PM

All this terrorist bullshit is disgraceful, on one of the holiest days. They should hold a witch trial and have them burnt at the stake.

by Anonymousreply 96April 23, 2019 4:59 PM

Peaceful coexistence is an unislamic concept.

by Anonymousreply 97April 23, 2019 5:27 PM

Islam is our enemy

by Anonymousreply 98April 23, 2019 5:28 PM

To everyone who still maintains that Islam is somehow less problematic than Christianity: When was the last time a Christian killed himself and others in the name of their religion? Muslimms do that shit all the time. So it's foolish to say Christianity is more dangerous. We all know it's not. I'm not making excuses for Christian mass murderers, but they don't do it in the name of their God.

I just don't understand people who keep defending Islam.

by Anonymousreply 99April 23, 2019 5:33 PM

*Muslims

by Anonymousreply 100April 23, 2019 5:33 PM

r99, the only fools who write that here ARE death cult members and their fetish seekers. FACT! PROVE ME WRONG. I DARE YOU.

by Anonymousreply 101April 23, 2019 5:37 PM

[Quote] . FACT! PROVE ME WRONG. I DARE YOU.

That is directed to the rest of you. Not r99.

by Anonymousreply 102April 23, 2019 5:40 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103April 23, 2019 6:36 PM

i don't believe it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104April 26, 2019 5:11 PM

You have to laugh at the idiots working overtime while it was still unfolding, trying to convince everyone that it wasn't Muslims who did this.

by Anonymousreply 105April 26, 2019 5:22 PM

The death toll has dropped by nearly 100.

by Anonymousreply 106April 26, 2019 6:27 PM

R106, the original figure was given by the morgues. They overestimated the number of victims because they mostly had only body parts, not whole bodies, to work with.

Grim but true.

by Anonymousreply 107April 27, 2019 11:38 AM

But why? What do the Islamists gain from this? The country and its religious conflicts are Buddhist - Christian.

by Anonymousreply 108April 27, 2019 11:52 AM

R108 Muslims have been tweaking the Sinhalese (Buddhist) nose for years in a challenge to their dominance and power. Targeting Xtians (or as in Europe, Jews) intimidates the dominant power without jeopardizing the Muslim community. However, unlike in Europe where the dominant powers have been neutralized, the Sinhalese will not think twice about slaughtering Muslim challengers. With the added incentive that the world will do absolutely nothing when the Sinhalese do.

by Anonymousreply 109April 27, 2019 12:13 PM

R108 The country's on-going conflicts are between the two largest cultures, Buddhist (Sinhalese) and Hindu (Tamil). Xtians make up an even smaller minority than Muslims.

by Anonymousreply 110April 27, 2019 12:16 PM

Those SLIM soldiers in OP's photo are CUTE.

by Anonymousreply 111April 27, 2019 12:18 PM

I’m pro Sinhalese - beautiful people and culture.

by Anonymousreply 112May 4, 2019 9:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!