Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why are Californians so provincial when it comes to In N Out Burger?

They’re really not that good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113May 13, 2019 5:24 PM

Funny - I had a craving yesterday and my husband was working late so I indulged.

They're fresh and delicious. The fries were particularly good, the perfect texture.

by Anonymousreply 1April 19, 2019 7:11 PM

OP, blasphemy. I rarely eat fast food burgers, but when I do, it's In-N-Out.

My out of state and out-of-country relatives always demand to go when they visit.

by Anonymousreply 2April 19, 2019 7:12 PM

They were good, 40-50 years ago. As with most things, people will just not admit that something isn't as good as it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 3April 19, 2019 7:13 PM

For the record, I've tried Shake Shack and I didn't 'get it.'

by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2019 7:15 PM

Nothing - NOTHING is as good as it was 40-50 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2019 7:18 PM

Dont know if they are better in California, but in texas: whataburger = in and out = dog food.

by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2019 7:19 PM

Burger Street in Texas and Oklahoma. Best burgers you can buy. They're the only good thing in God forsaken, red clay infested, Oklahoma.

by Anonymousreply 7April 19, 2019 7:23 PM

Don't they put scripture on their wrappers?

No thanks.

They're OK. But there are better places.

by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2019 7:23 PM

[quote] Don't they put scripture on their wrappers?

I don't know if this is true, but I have never understood the logic behind this sort of thing. What truly devout person would put holy scripture on something that will be smeared with grease and thrown away?

by Anonymousreply 9April 19, 2019 7:27 PM

[quote] But there are better places.

I agree that there are definitely better restaurant or upscale burger places, but for what it is -- a drive-through, fast food joint -- and the cost, I can't think of any place better.

by Anonymousreply 10April 19, 2019 7:28 PM

[quantity]for what it is -- a drive-through, fast food joint -- and the cost, I can't think of any place better.

I can. Burger King.

by Anonymousreply 11April 19, 2019 7:31 PM

OMG, T111, your taste is in your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 12April 19, 2019 7:34 PM

There are always some hot dudes at in n out, serving and eating there

by Anonymousreply 13April 19, 2019 7:36 PM

"OMG, T111, your taste is in your mouth."

I mean, isn't it supposed to be when it comes to food?

by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2019 7:37 PM

I like 'em for an occasional indulgence and for the price range, there are no better alternatives. Great quality lettuce and tomato on the burger and plenty of it; it's damn near like a burger with a side salad. Food aside, better service and cleaner places than you get at other fast-food places. And at least where I am, there are no good, locally owned burger places. Five Guys? Meh. Burger King & McDonald's are fucking horrible.

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2019 7:40 PM

There are people who I would sooner see dead, before I relinquish my once a month, five guys fix.

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2019 8:38 PM

In-n-Out burgers are the only burgers I like, and the only burgers I eat. The meat is caramelized brown instead of gray like it is as McDonalds, and the patty is thin enough that the meat doesn't overwhelm the flavors of the veg, cheese, and bun. And the veg, cheese, and bun aren't stale or limp like they are at some other places.

So I like In-n-Out burgers... because I don't like ground beef very much.

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2019 8:51 PM

The fries are like styrofoam.

by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2019 9:10 PM

R18, Last month they were, yesterday they were perfect. Not sure why that is. But they cut the potatoes at the restaurant, which is much more than most fast food places.

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2019 9:13 PM

I like In 'N out but I hate their french fries. That works out great since a double/double is only 4 dollars and change with tax. The lousy fries and a drink take it over 8 dollars. I take a gingerale from home and I'm even better satisfied since they don't serve gingerale. We have a good fish and chips shop here in Long Beach. Their scallops and shrimp are damn good too. So I alternate my indulgences. We don't have a fast food drive-through that makes good french fries, which I really miss.

by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2019 9:17 PM

Meh. I used to love In-N-Out until I had Steak n Shake.

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2019 9:18 PM

Overrated!

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2019 9:28 PM

They suck hard. Worst fries ever. Whataburger bought in next to every I&O in Texas, and there is always a line at Whataburger and nobody and In & Out. Some people just do not know what's good.

by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2019 9:34 PM

You can order your French fries well-done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2019 9:55 PM

I love an In-N-Out burger, but if presented with a choice between a Double-Double and a Tommy's burger I'll pick Tommy's every time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 19, 2019 10:02 PM

Why are you fat whores traitor eating at a repub joint? It is just Chick fil A fyi

by Anonymousreply 26April 19, 2019 10:21 PM

If by "a repub joint," you mean a place that serves delicious, non-frozen burgers and fries in a clean store consistently and at a great price, WHILE paying their employees better than the other places... maybe it's time to change my vote.

by Anonymousreply 27April 19, 2019 10:27 PM

R20, details on the fish and chips place? I visit Long Beach a couple of times a year and would love to pick up some good fish and chips. It's really hard to find good casual fish and chips in the US.

by Anonymousreply 28April 19, 2019 10:36 PM

Meh... Its big claim to fame is mostly the freshness of its added toppings but I don't want a salad, I want a cheeseburger. Meat, cheese, bun, and some carefully balanced condiments. They don't do that any better than anyone else does.

by Anonymousreply 29April 19, 2019 10:36 PM

[quote]OMG, T111, your taste is in your mouth.

This would have been witty, had it been intentional.

by Anonymousreply 30April 19, 2019 10:37 PM

true Angelenos prefer Fatburger.

by Anonymousreply 31April 19, 2019 10:56 PM

In 'N out is decent but if there were a Five Guys or Steak n Shake closer to my house, I would go there instead. In 'N out fries suck though. I just douse them in salt or their spread. Most places, I can just eat the fries by themselves and they'll taste good.

by Anonymousreply 32April 19, 2019 11:29 PM

Damn that burger looks good.

by Anonymousreply 33April 19, 2019 11:34 PM

In DC a small Five Guys hamburger is $6.75. In N Out's burger is better value and just as good/better. Their fries do suck though.

by Anonymousreply 34April 19, 2019 11:35 PM

I never thought they were that great and the wait time is ridiculous!

by Anonymousreply 35April 19, 2019 11:37 PM

R34 Five Guys is expensive for a fast food place but their burgers are worth it. Considering I don't eat out at such places that often anymore, I'd rather go with the better burger than the one that's slightly cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 36April 19, 2019 11:40 PM

[quote]Don't they put scripture on their wrappers?

"John 3:16" is inscribed in tiny lettering on the bottom inside lip of the beverage cups. I find it offensive, but I guess it's better than "God hates fags," which is what I'm sure they believe.

by Anonymousreply 37April 19, 2019 11:58 PM

God hates fags

by Anonymousreply 38April 19, 2019 11:59 PM

Everybody hates R38. F&F

by Anonymousreply 39April 20, 2019 12:00 AM

R39 LOL. I am a "fag" but congrats on wasting that FF.

by Anonymousreply 40April 20, 2019 12:01 AM

[quote]My out of state and out-of-country relatives always demand to go when they visit.

Sorry, I fucked up the hyphenation in my post. Should have been:

My out-of-state and out-of-country relatives always demand to go when they visit.

by Anonymousreply 41April 20, 2019 12:02 AM

R36, I love Five Guys' toppings, but purely on meat and the buns--In N Out is the superior hamburger. Their fries still suck. I've been advised to order fries extra/double fried to make them palatable.

by Anonymousreply 42April 20, 2019 12:05 AM

The chain donates substantial amounts of money to the California Republican Party. So it's fair to assume that they support Trump and his anti LGBTQ policies. They are also anti-union if you care. BTW, I thought gays were supposed to be foodies who eschewed fast food slop. Another stereotype dashed!

by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2019 12:11 AM

Snopes has considered the Republican Party donations of the chain. See link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 20, 2019 12:13 AM

Shake Shake > In-N-Out

by Anonymousreply 45April 20, 2019 12:15 AM

How In 'N out wastes its profits is of no concern to me. Donating to the Republican party in CA is throwing away money. The serve me just as they serve everyone else, they don't point a gun to my head to get me to order. I prefer going to businesses that believe in something that contributes to the proper handling of food, even if it's something I'm not supportive.

by Anonymousreply 46April 20, 2019 12:17 AM

Are we getting In-N-Out shills like with CFA now? No normal human talks in ad copy like R27

by Anonymousreply 47April 20, 2019 12:21 AM

Does Five Guys give you a ton of fries at all the stores, or is it just my local store that does that? When I order small fries, they fill a paper cup with fries, then they take another full scoop of fries and dump it on top so that there are actually more fries outside of the cup than inside it. I can't imagine ordering a large-sized fries because the "small" fries are already too much to eat.

by Anonymousreply 48April 20, 2019 12:23 AM

All Five Guys give you too many fries. When they started out, they didn't even have their so-called small fries. I used to either not order fries, or spell out on my table in fries: 'TOO MANY FRIES.'

by Anonymousreply 49April 20, 2019 12:25 AM

Pretty sure that's just Five Guys' shtick, along with the free peanuts. One small order is easily enough for 2 people

by Anonymousreply 50April 20, 2019 12:26 AM

R21 HAHHAHA. Steak and Shake? Seriously? The infamous CHILI AND CHOKE?

by Anonymousreply 51April 20, 2019 12:46 AM

The French Fries at N are the worst I’ve tasted anywhere. So bland and drab

by Anonymousreply 52April 20, 2019 1:02 AM

I asked for a vegetarian burger option at In N Out and got a bun with a piece of lettuce and tomato.

by Anonymousreply 53April 20, 2019 1:04 AM

[quote]Are we getting In-N-Out shills like with CFA now? No normal human talks in ad copy like [R27]

You are so right, R47!

by Anonymousreply 54April 20, 2019 1:08 AM

I used to enjoy them, but now I am over it. I finally saw them for the no meat burger they are. Granted, a Double Double (faux single) is still cheap, but enough. I prefer Fatburger.

by Anonymousreply 55April 20, 2019 1:11 AM

Are we really going to argue about fast food here?

Pull yourself together.

by Anonymousreply 56April 20, 2019 1:14 AM

Every single person posting on this thread is typing fat.

Including me.Let's eat all the skinny Dataloungers with a side order of fries and/or onion rings, a milkshake and a diet coke because we're watching out calories. We're watching our calories fill up our fat deposits!

by Anonymousreply 57April 20, 2019 1:17 AM

R57, lol. You can enjoy a good burger every so often without getting fat. Although as I age, I'm realizing that I can eat luxuriously less often.

by Anonymousreply 58April 20, 2019 1:33 AM

In N Out is owned by creepy Bible thumpers who hate gay people. Don't support these kooks.

by Anonymousreply 59April 20, 2019 1:41 AM

I can't think of a bigger disappointment in my eating life than In N Out Burger.

by Anonymousreply 60April 20, 2019 1:55 AM

[quote] Nothing - NOTHING is as good as it was 40-50 years ago.

But you were in your forties then, when the world still seemed relatively new.

by Anonymousreply 61April 20, 2019 1:56 AM

Where is the best fast food that I can get off a freeway off-ramp?

How did this become a trending thread on DL?

Hot Messes.

by Anonymousreply 62April 20, 2019 2:04 AM

In-N-Out does not franchise, which is why they're able to have better control over their stores and a more consistent experience from location to location.

by Anonymousreply 63April 20, 2019 2:23 AM

"No normal human talks in ad copy like [[R27]]"

I was just jamming into one sentence everything I like about In-N-Out.

Tard much?

by Anonymousreply 64April 23, 2019 7:38 PM

Horrible animal abuse by their wholly owned supplier. Video on the local news. Google it. Horrible company.

by Anonymousreply 65April 23, 2019 7:50 PM

One way to make in and out french fries palatable: order them well done & animal style. Yum!

by Anonymousreply 66April 23, 2019 7:53 PM

Utahns are crazy about In N Out, too. I really don't get it -- everything tastes like shit and there's little on-offer.

I think it's because Utah didn't have In N Outs until 6 or 7 years ago. They're making up for lost time.

by Anonymousreply 67April 23, 2019 7:54 PM

Fat burger ( which stands for fresh ‘n tasty ) Are really good but a combo is much more expensive than in an out.

by Anonymousreply 68April 23, 2019 7:54 PM

Fatburger also has chili cheese fries!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 23, 2019 7:57 PM

The Apple Pan is better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70April 23, 2019 7:58 PM

R48, I love that extra serving of fries. I always order the small fries and I eat every morsel.

by Anonymousreply 71April 23, 2019 8:04 PM

I had an In-N-Out burger in Vegas. There was a long line, no seating and it was nothing special. If I get a craving for a fast food burger a couple double cheeseburgers satisfies my craving for under $5 along with a couple hours of Indigestion.

by Anonymousreply 72April 24, 2019 1:12 AM

I'm from the Bay and I'm pretty much over it. They do have the best fast food fries though.

by Anonymousreply 73April 24, 2019 1:24 AM

I lived in calif for a decade and I never heard one person ever even mention in and out burger................I never even knew anybody well that ate meat at all.

by Anonymousreply 74April 24, 2019 1:32 AM

R74, you lived in California for a decade and only knew vegetarians?

by Anonymousreply 75April 24, 2019 1:34 AM

I also think Shake Shack blows In-n-Out away. Never tried 5 Guys... something about them turns me off.

by Anonymousreply 76April 24, 2019 2:04 AM

Obviously the low prices OP. Duh. But Californians would never admit they are poor.

by Anonymousreply 77April 24, 2019 2:11 AM

They are provincial about music too. A bunch of them doing reaction videos didn't now who Gloria Estefan is.

by Anonymousreply 78April 24, 2019 2:12 AM

[quote]Don't they put scripture on their wrappers?

Funny how these religious fast food places make their money catering to gluttons

by Anonymousreply 79April 24, 2019 2:14 AM

In-N-Out's burgers are OK, nothing special. It's just a hamburger. I don't get the crazy cult around it. Prices decent. Fries lousy. They used to have a banana shake which was good, but alas, they took the only good thing off the menu.

by Anonymousreply 80April 24, 2019 2:39 AM

Whataburger is definitely much better. Five Guys a close second.

The CA chain isn’t even in the top 10. I’d choose the fresh version of a McDonald’s Quarter Pounder over anything they serve.

by Anonymousreply 81April 24, 2019 5:30 PM

Again, it's not fair to compare Shake Shack and Five Guys to In-N-Out. Different price points and menus.

by Anonymousreply 82April 24, 2019 8:41 PM

Whataburger is complete and utter shit.

by Anonymousreply 83April 24, 2019 8:44 PM

Can anyone tell me about Carl Jr’s burgers and fries? Never been to their restaurants...Am I missing anything?

by Anonymousreply 84April 24, 2019 8:50 PM

I love Cookout

by Anonymousreply 85May 10, 2019 1:14 PM

I went to In-N-Out a couple times in the past few months after not being there in years. Once in Tucson, once in LA. The burger I got in Tucson was terribly greasy and the one in LA was just blah. Both restaurants were absolutely packed with customers. It's truly a mystery to me why they are so popular, apart from marketing.

Shake Shack is way better. I tried Habit Burger recently and it was ok too. Not amazing, but certainly better than In-N-Out.

by Anonymousreply 86May 10, 2019 1:41 PM

I've never had them, although I've been to LA a few times, but WTF is the obsession with the way people from California see a goddam hamburger? It seems to be a particularly hot topic in Texas for some reason. Is so little going on in the great flyover that all people think about is how Californians perceive fast food? Jesus, get a life.

by Anonymousreply 87May 10, 2019 1:43 PM

Republicans have to eat something and there's barely any Chik-Fil-A.

by Anonymousreply 88May 10, 2019 1:46 PM

R84, Carl's, Jr. was founded by the late Carl Karcher, who was a right-wing activist on the side and supported a 1978 anti-gay law in California. Gay rights activists dubbed his product "bigot burgers." He also campaigned against abortion and was involved in an insider trading scandal. I believe that his family still controls much of the chain as well as Hardee's and Green Burrito. As for their food, it's just average fast food. You haven't missed anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 10, 2019 1:57 PM

A lot of the Hardee's restaurants used to be Burger Chef.

by Anonymousreply 90May 10, 2019 2:01 PM

Hardee’s has great milkshakes

by Anonymousreply 91May 10, 2019 2:14 PM

If they're not in NY, they don't matter.

by Anonymousreply 92May 10, 2019 2:14 PM

IIRC, Carl's Jr. was one of the first fast food chains to offer a low carb option with your burger.

by Anonymousreply 93May 10, 2019 2:15 PM

Cookout is good and cheap.

by Anonymousreply 94May 10, 2019 2:16 PM

What's wrong with just making burgers at home with grass-fed meat and raw milk cheese?

by Anonymousreply 95May 10, 2019 2:18 PM

Early in my career, I worked in LA for a major corporation with offices all around the world. At least twice a year, all the major executives would fly into LA for budget and business review meetings. I was always in charge of this day long event which usually concluded with a major dinner at a very expensive restaurant. For lunch, I would cater in some place equally as nice. On the first day, in the morning, the CEO of the company pulled me aside and said, "I know you have lunch already planned but is there any way you could just bring in IN-N-OUT for us? He handed me 5 $100 bills and I sent 5 runners to the drive-through. The executives all loved it and the rest of the office had a very nice catered lunch from a swanky LA restaurant. My direct boss didn't know that the CEO had asked me to do this and started to get mad when he saw that I was feeding them burgers, fries and milk shakes. He got real quiet when he saw how happy the CEO and other were.

by Anonymousreply 96May 10, 2019 2:35 PM

Even rich people eat fast food. Just look at Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 97May 10, 2019 2:37 PM

Animal style is what elevates them to divine. Mine: animal style, protein style with chopped peppers.

by Anonymousreply 98May 10, 2019 2:43 PM

I've never understand why DataLoungers are up in arms about other fast food chains that are run by fundies but don't seem to have a problem with In N Out Burger, even though In N Out's CEO (Lynsi Snyder) is a fundie and they put Bible verses on their wrappers.

by Anonymousreply 99May 10, 2019 2:58 PM

People do crave community and connectedness. So knowing this is a Cali thing bonds us. Same thing when people pile inside the theater to watch a Marvel movie. we know they're not that good. but we want to feel a part of something.

by Anonymousreply 100May 10, 2019 2:59 PM

Their ingredients are less processed.

by Anonymousreply 101May 10, 2019 3:00 PM

The umami disappeared when the granddaughter took over.

by Anonymousreply 102May 10, 2019 3:17 PM

Yo mama, umami troll!

by Anonymousreply 103May 10, 2019 5:53 PM

R101 has it right. Simpler ingredients = better food.

by Anonymousreply 104May 10, 2019 6:00 PM

Agree with all who said Steak n Shake is the best. The "steakburger" and the buttered grilled bun are to die for. Five Guys is overpriced and the fries are soggy. Whataburger is just gross af. In N Out is just meh. Burger King is VILE.

by Anonymousreply 105May 10, 2019 7:38 PM

[quote] I went to In-N-Out a couple times in the past few months after not being there in years. Once in Tucson, once in LA. The burger I got in Tucson was terribly greasy and the one in LA was just blah. Both restaurants were absolutely packed with customers. It's truly a mystery to me why they are so popular, apart from marketing. Shake Shack is way better. I tried Habit Burger recently and it was ok too. Not amazing, but certainly better than In-N-Out.

Again, you cannot compare In-N-Out to Shake Shack or the Habit. In-N-Out has a VERY limited menu and is about half the price of the other two places. Apples and oranges. It's like comparing Outback to Ruth's Chris.

by Anonymousreply 106May 10, 2019 8:13 PM

Darn r105, you made me want to try Steak n Shake, so I looked up the one near me, only to find out it closed just the other day! Isn't that my luck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107May 10, 2019 10:49 PM

Yep...so awesome they cannot keep restaurants open!

by Anonymousreply 108May 11, 2019 2:08 PM

^Poor management. They need to simplify their menu. Love their classic double cheese burger, fries, and shakes. I always order the Nutella shake.

by Anonymousreply 109May 11, 2019 2:48 PM

OH, DEAR. Nutella shake disqualifies your taste period.

by Anonymousreply 110May 13, 2019 4:55 PM

[quote]You can order your French fries well-done.

That's nice. Can I order them with taste?

by Anonymousreply 111May 13, 2019 5:00 PM

wonder why in n out have not branched out to the rest of the country? and never will?.. a total west coast and southwest thing only.. i know i enjoyed them when i would visit out west....

by Anonymousreply 112May 13, 2019 5:02 PM

R112, Supply chain--they don't do frozen food so they need the restaurants to be within a day's drive at most. They also don't franchise so they're much more particular about opening more locations. They want to keep to their own company culture so expanding as much and as quickly as possible isn't a priority.

by Anonymousreply 113May 13, 2019 5:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!