Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Emma Thompson jets 5,400 miles to show how green she is to climate activists currently crippling London

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 24, 2019 5:51 AM

The UK seems to be going crazy. I'm just glad Gwyneth got out.

by Anonymousreply 1April 19, 2019 5:25 AM

How was she supposed to get home from Los Angeles? (By the way, I doubt she was in Los Angeles on vacation.)

by Anonymousreply 2April 19, 2019 5:26 AM

Really bad haircut and color.

by Anonymousreply 3April 19, 2019 5:27 AM

Clearly she was supposed to walk home.

by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2019 5:43 AM

This is typical of celebrities. Omissions from planes are one of the worst polluters on the planet and celebrities are amongst the biggest users. They don't call Cate Blanchett 'Carbon Cate' for nothing in Australia. She'll fly half way across the planet to open an envelope but preaches to the Australian public that we must cut our omissions. DiCaprio is another one. Celebrated one New Years Eve in Sydney, took a car to Canberra to then catch a flight to LA to celebrate New Years Ever again. I admit there intentions and messages about climate change are good but they should also lead by example (only travel when you absolutely must).

by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2019 5:54 AM

Was she supposed to take a canoe? Jesus, let’s just keep eating each other until TRUMP 2020. Blame the goddamn OIL, car & plane companies. You think better MPG isn’t possible?!

by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2019 5:56 AM

My rationale on the plane thing is so long as there is one empty seat on the plane, my being on the plane didn't add any extra emissions. That plane was going to fly anyway. Now, if all the seats are filled, there's a possibility that my being on the plane caused one person to have to take the next flight, and if that flight had one person on it, then I really did a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 7April 19, 2019 6:06 AM

Electric/hybrid planes are on the way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2019 6:15 AM

Bigoted cunt

by Anonymousreply 9April 19, 2019 6:19 AM

[quote]bigoted cunt

Says a Democrat-hating cunt:

- Why isn't there a Dem candidate who expresses FURY at the POS in the WH and his sewage party?

Because the Dems are no different. Same POS. See Gillibrand, Omar, Tlaib, Ocasio-Cortez, Harris, Ellison, Warren, etc. for details.

by Anonymousreply 10April 19, 2019 6:25 AM

Dame Emma, you mean.

by Anonymousreply 11April 19, 2019 6:26 AM

I should have formatted that better.

Here are the words of the cunt who hates Democrats:

- Why isn't there a Dem candidate who expresses FURY at the POS in the WH and his sewage party?

[quote][bold]Because the Dems are no different. Same POS. See Gillibrand, Omar, Tlaib, Ocasio-Cortez, Harris, Ellison, Warren, etc. for details. [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 12April 19, 2019 6:26 AM

If she's flying private she's definitely a hypocrite and she should be called out. Same with Leonardo DiCaprio who clearly only flies private yet lectures others.

by Anonymousreply 13April 19, 2019 6:38 AM

R13 My guess would be that Thompson was flying commercially.

by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2019 7:04 AM

Only one acting Oscar. Those people are very shady.

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2019 7:27 AM

Well, I also have an Oscar for writing a screenplay (based on a novel). Judging by the films you have appeared in I'm wondering if you can even read?

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2019 7:44 AM

Don't let that become a thing....

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2019 7:55 AM

I can drive AND I can read so I can have one now? Please?

by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2019 8:29 AM

R10 R12 Never assume. You will invariably ERR!

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2019 8:31 AM

R5 the omissions regarding celebrities are really bad — they are never there!

by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2019 8:39 AM

R5, it's R20 here, I'm just fucking with you. Please look up the meaning of omissions as compared to emissions.

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2019 8:41 AM

R21 Thanks for picking that up - I liked your post.

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2019 9:32 AM

You are welcome ;-)

by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2019 10:37 AM

I was wondering why I couldn’t see the OP’s post and voila, I have him/her on ignore. I only block trumpsters and trolls (mostly trumpster trolls) so there you go.

by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2019 10:44 AM

Environmentally friendly planes are the way to go.

by Anonymousreply 25April 19, 2019 10:50 AM

Stop waiting for governments to bring about change and maybe consume less people or put a sock in it.

by Anonymousreply 26April 19, 2019 11:03 AM

Well, Emma at R16, I'm sure you can do any blooming thing you want, as long as you aren't TWEE!

by Anonymousreply 27April 19, 2019 11:14 AM

I can't stand this bitch.

by Anonymousreply 28April 19, 2019 11:17 AM

She should have swam (?) across the Atlantic Ocean, then walked across the Continent of the United States.. Celebrities are so selfish..

by Anonymousreply 29April 19, 2019 11:31 AM

None of the papers like the Daily Fail who are reporting on this "hypocrisy" are doing so in good faith.

You want a celebrity to tout your cause, you have to get a celebrity, not some hermit who never used a fossil fuel in his life.

Stop letting right-wing fucksticks make you think progress is impossible because people who want to help make positive change aren't "perfect" enough.

by Anonymousreply 30April 19, 2019 11:36 AM

[quote]She should have swam (?)

swum

by Anonymousreply 31April 19, 2019 11:39 AM

..Lol R31.. I wasn't sure, that's why the (?). I knew someone would set me straight.

by Anonymousreply 32April 19, 2019 11:41 AM

I've been following Extinction Rebellion very closely and am thrilled with their movement. I've been waiting/hoping for celebrities to get involved because that will bring it much more attention and get more people involved.

Once it takes off in the UK I hope similar protests will happen in the US.

There's over 400ppm of CO2 in Earth's atmosphere and we're in the middle of the 6th mass extinction. We need governments to set net-zero carbon goals if we don't all want to be cooked alive. Right now we're all living in an oven set to Preheat. Climate change isn't up for debate any more. It's here and if we don't confront it we're going to witness, and experience, the collapse of life as we know it.

It's total BS to call out a celebrity for flying on an airplane btw. This is a troll tactic: either seek to discredit environmental activists because they're not "pure" enough ("oh! she rides in cabs and flies in airplanes and doesn't walk around in hemp clothing subsisting on rainwater and dandelions, she's such a hypocrite!"). Of course, the environmental activists who DO go to great lengths to bike/walk everywhere, forage, be vegan, never buy anything that creates plastic waste etc, are likewise derided and dismissed for being TOO pure ("oh yeah right like we're all supposed to listen to those smelly hippies!").

by Anonymousreply 33April 19, 2019 11:46 AM

I don't understand this article - was she supposed to swim there? Come over on a cruise ship?

Air travel is dirty but it's the only thing we've got for long distances, especially across the oceans. That's why there's so much effort currently being poured into electrifying it, though we won't see that for many decades still.

by Anonymousreply 34April 19, 2019 11:57 AM

R2 She was in Los Angeles for her birthday...said she’d have been there sooner otherwise.

I saw the same shit once when Naomi Klein spoke sponsored by a group I’m affiliated with - $25k speaking fee, first class air, limo (had to be a hybrid, though) and first class hotel rooms for her and her entourage.

All to harangue the 50 or so people who showed up for her hour and a half talk about how the climate is going to hell thanks to capitalism. The organization has a new director as a result.

by Anonymousreply 35April 19, 2019 12:12 PM

Occupy Wall St terrified the establishment. It must always crush any alternative ideas and sadly as we see from psters here, there are always those only too happy to have the corporate jack boot at their throats. The planet is in a terrible state but so is its population when that fact has less emotional impact than one church roof burning.

by Anonymousreply 36April 19, 2019 12:22 PM

So when can we expect one of these?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 19, 2019 12:40 PM

Extinction Rebellion is looking to die on its arse in the UK, by doing the usual things of having impossible objectives (zero carbon emissions in the UK by 2025!) and indulging in meaningless and poorly judged activist protests. So far, for example, they've blocked Oxford Street to traffic (only buses and taxes actually use it) , superglued themselves to the Docklands Light Railway (London's most eco-friendly form of public transport) and chained themselves up outside Jeremy Corbyn's house, the political leader they claim to admire most. It's like the British BML movement which fizzled instantly after a pair of ridiculous stunts, and Occupy London, which collapsed into a risible standoff with the dean and chapter of St Paul's Cathedral, while the City boys around them pissed themselves laughing.

by Anonymousreply 38April 19, 2019 12:51 PM

I think as far as climate change is concerned we have either already passed to point of no return (i.e. no matter we do we are fucked) or we are approaching the point of no return pretty soon and its simply impossible to make the changes necessary in such a short amount of time.

Really, when the Al Gore documentary An Inconvenient Truth came out in 2004(I think) that was the time the planet should have pulled its head in big time and started making MAJOR changes. But, instead most Governments around the world moved in baby steps if at all and over population is never mentioned by anyone.

In general humans tends to react to things after its too late.

by Anonymousreply 39April 19, 2019 1:11 PM

I bet Dame Emma ticked the box to offset her carbon emissions by planting trees in the Canadian wilderness.

by Anonymousreply 40April 19, 2019 1:31 PM

Another vote for "bigoted cunt" a poster upthread called ET.

Celeb SJWs like ET make me want to go out and get an SUV, and I don't even like them.

by Anonymousreply 41April 19, 2019 1:39 PM

She could’ve just Skyped.

by Anonymousreply 42April 19, 2019 1:42 PM

The TIMES (UK) cartoon on this today is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2019 7:36 PM

Dicaprio really pisses me off when it comes to this.

by Anonymousreply 44April 20, 2019 7:50 PM

Was she supposed to swim there, OP?

by Anonymousreply 45April 20, 2019 7:58 PM

[quote]Dame Emma has been a prominent Left-wing and environmental campaigner for many years. The Greenpeace supporter helped buy land near Heathrow Airport in an attempt to deter the building of a third runway. In 2015 she joined activists outside Shell headquarters as part of a campaign to stop drilling in the Arctic.

Well, that's probably more than keyboard warriors complaining about her have ever done for the environment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 20, 2019 8:00 PM

R35, well, I'm not surprised Naomi Klein is a phony.

by Anonymousreply 47April 20, 2019 8:19 PM

r43 is this the cartoon ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 22, 2019 3:27 AM

What an ass. She's being shamed because it's shameful. It's deserved. Don't bark rules at people unless you can figure it out for yourself first.

by Anonymousreply 49April 22, 2019 4:21 AM

R48 That is hilarious. Thank you for posting it. The artist should have it printed in T-Shirts, might make a mint out of it.

by Anonymousreply 50April 22, 2019 6:55 AM

You are very easily pleased R50 . No mint would be made from a T shirt aimed at the 'it's political correctness gone mad' brigade , they are not the T shirt type.

by Anonymousreply 51April 22, 2019 11:49 AM

[quote]Was she supposed to swim there, OP?

The issue is that she flew to an event whose organizers are promoting limiting the number of flights per individual per year, or flying for emergencies only. If Emma wants to fly there, then go for it, but be prepared to preach for things that you yourself are willing to abide by. How many flights has she been on this year? Was this an emergency?

I'm all for doing things that are great for the environment. But it is a bit much for celebrities to tell me what I should be doing when their carbon footprint is multiple times larger than mine.

by Anonymousreply 52April 22, 2019 11:51 AM

This thread is just for bashing 'do-gooding leftys'. R52 Your enthusiasm for criticizing Thompson seems much greater than your interest in 'doing great things for the environment'. The Dreaded Daily Mail ( who leaped on this story as it is nectar to their curtain-twitching, miserable readers ) was bashing David Attenborough this week for highlighting the plight of Orangutans, accusing him of phony tear jerking, it's the same shit the establishment has used forever to discredit those showing it up.

by Anonymousreply 53April 22, 2019 12:19 PM

[quote]. [R52] Your enthusiasm for criticizing Thompson seems much greater than your interest in 'doing great things for the environment'.

Really? Because I didn't really criticize her. I simply said she should be prepared to live by what she was preaching, or more specifically, what the organizers of the rally were preaching. Such as flying once a year (I have no idea how often she flies) or for emergencies (I have no idea what other business she was doing in the U.K.).

If anything, my criticism was for celebrities in general who like to preach about climate change when they are often the worst offenders (constantly flying all over the world, taking huge limos everywhere, have multiple large homes the world over that are constantly climate controlled, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 54April 23, 2019 7:33 AM

R54 Is absolutely right.

by Anonymousreply 55April 24, 2019 5:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!