Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rioting in Ireland

RIOTS have broken out on the streets of Londonderry, Northern Ireland after shots were fired and petrol bombs launched leading to the death of one woman, police confirmed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108April 28, 2019 5:40 PM

Video on Twitter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 19, 2019 2:05 AM

More Twitter video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 19, 2019 2:08 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 19, 2019 2:09 AM

Oh no,not this shit again!

by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2019 2:09 AM

Pelosi is there

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2019 2:10 AM

Is this about Brexit ? I have to say northern irish men know how to make it hot and interesting.

by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2019 2:11 AM

Thanks to Brexit

by Anonymousreply 7April 19, 2019 2:12 AM

Riots follow on police raids in area

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2019 2:12 AM

Have the Troubles returned?

by Anonymousreply 9April 19, 2019 2:12 AM

R9 They never really went away, if I'm not mistaken it was an armstice not a peace deal, feel free to correct me though.

by Anonymousreply 10April 19, 2019 2:15 AM

This is heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 11April 19, 2019 2:15 AM

It's to do with the threat of a 'hard' border between north and south, thanks to Brexit.

by Anonymousreply 12April 19, 2019 2:16 AM

More from Twitter, a young woman has died

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 19, 2019 2:17 AM

It is said to be in response to police activity/raids in the area

by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2019 2:20 AM

Timing is a bit sensitive with Pelosi there

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2019 2:20 AM

R14 - police activity/raids in the area to disrupt the plans of terrorism.

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2019 2:23 AM

Yes, R16.

Seems to be a bit of a news blackout at present. Most info is on Twitter as often is the case in this sort of situation.

Were there plans to disrupt events Pelosi is appearing at?

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2019 2:27 AM

Why aren't Harry and Meghan doing anything about this? He has red hair and she's black Irish.

by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2019 2:28 AM

R15 - at least it's not Hillary or we would be regaled with her b/s about having to avoid sniper fire again.

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2019 2:28 AM

The Harry-Meghan troll has arrived, folks!

by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2019 2:30 AM

The woman who died may have been a journalist. There were also reports of a young girl being shot. More vids here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2019 2:37 AM

From the RT piece:

A woman has been killed in clashes between dissident Nationalists and security forces in Northern Ireland. The suspected ‘terrorist incident’ occurred hours after US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi toured Derry on a goodwill visit. Rioting in Derry (also Londonderry) has turned parts of the city into a war zone on Thursday night, with Molotov cocktails and various other objects being thrown at police by masked protesters. Police said a 29-year-old woman was killed after shots were fired in the Creggan area of the city.

“We are treating this as a terrorist incident and we have launched a murder inquiry,” assistant chief constable Mark Hamilton, from the Police Service of Northern Ireland, said.

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2019 2:38 AM

From RT piece:

The clashes with the dissident Republicans came following a major security operation in the city which took place just days before nationalists in Ireland mark the 1916 Easter Rising – the historic rebellion that led to the end of British rule in most of Ireland.

The deadly riot also occurred just hours after US Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi symbolically crossed Derry’s Peace Bridge and spoke of America’s support of the Good Friday Agreement, which has brought sustained peace to the turbulent British-controlled region.

Lately I sometimes feel like history is repeating itself, anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2019 2:40 AM

What's causing it? Have all the liquor stores been shuttered?

by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2019 2:47 AM

It was a spontaneous riot caused by cartoons of the Prophet.

by Anonymousreply 25April 19, 2019 2:48 AM

In the 18th century, when France adopted the Gregorian calendar and advanced the date about 10 days overnight, people rioted because they thought the Pope was shortening their lives.

Maybe it’s like that?

by Anonymousreply 26April 19, 2019 2:52 AM

R23 yep. Feels like we're rehashing the sixties.

by Anonymousreply 27April 19, 2019 3:17 AM

I was thinking maybe the 80s, R27? Esp with this news.

Here is a bit more info on the US delegation trip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 19, 2019 3:41 AM

Why is someone linking to RT? It’s Russian state television.

by Anonymousreply 29April 19, 2019 4:08 AM

Dumb micks

by Anonymousreply 30April 19, 2019 4:10 AM

NOW what?

by Anonymousreply 31April 19, 2019 4:17 AM

Because RT has videos?

What actual info have you contributed?

by Anonymousreply 32April 19, 2019 4:21 AM

Buzzfeed has the news story, as do other outlets.

I posted to another outlet. Sure it mentions Pelosis visit, and gives the reason for the attack as the 1916 Easter uprising anniversary.

But let's link the rioting to Nancy Pelosi's visit. Fucking Russian troll

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 19, 2019 4:32 AM

Trump will have nothing to say and if he does, it'll be the usual, comatose response reserved for white terrorism.

by Anonymousreply 34April 19, 2019 5:06 AM

Poor Gerry's feeling neglected.

by Anonymousreply 35April 19, 2019 5:15 AM

How do we spin this to blame immigration?

by Anonymousreply 36April 19, 2019 5:18 AM

There are plenty of examples of social and political problems due to woefully empty-headed immigration policies. No need to pile on any more.

by Anonymousreply 37April 19, 2019 5:20 AM

R36, I got it! Polish immigrants, upset over the lack of plumbing jobs in Northern Ireland have joined with the dissent wing of the IRA in a terrorist attack in Londonderry.

This new brand of catholic terrorists have been emboldened by Nancy Pelosi's visit. Her visit, coming so close to Easter, is a stark reminder to the globalist terrorists that Rome is still in Italy but Italians have been allowed to immigrate.

by Anonymousreply 38April 19, 2019 5:30 AM

Seems strange that all other news outlet except the BBC which wasn't top news, hasn't report about it especially if Nancy was there. I bet she tripped over a electrical cord when she left which started the chronicle events which lead to the rioting.

by Anonymousreply 39April 19, 2019 5:44 AM

From FB: Reggie Yates is in Derry making a documentary, social media rumors say some of the rioting was for his benefit.

by Anonymousreply 40April 19, 2019 6:33 AM

R18 That's ridiculous, Harry and Megan can't do anything to help. There is only one person who can help calm the chaos and his name is Bono. Bono needs to release a new single about how the Irish are all one and need to come together and heal.

by Anonymousreply 41April 19, 2019 6:40 AM

The woman who was shot was a journalist, and apparently family, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 19, 2019 6:48 AM

Pelosi should get back home and do her fucking job instead of sticking her nose into UK affairs. She's only speaker of the House of Reps. Why the fuck does she have to even comment on Ireland much less go there and spark riots? Fuck her. She's a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 43April 19, 2019 7:08 AM

I hope Naomi O'Leary's family and partner can pull through and sending my condolences.

Such a sad, sorry state of affairs. I wish this shit would end and innocent people stop dying.

I hope everyone over there remains safe.

by Anonymousreply 44April 19, 2019 7:13 AM

r33 You have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. Learn to read. She's spent the week making threats to the UK and to the EU about the Northern Ireland Backstop and how stupid one MEP was, how dare he disagree with her - she said this to a crowd. Brits have been nothing short of shocked at her behaviour. She came off as being distinctly pro-IRA the other day - when giving a speech to the BRITISH. There is every reason to think it possible that what's left of the IRA felt emboldened by her lashing out at the UK on their behalf. Her arrogant, ignorant blathering on about something she clearly knows very little about may WELL have something to do with sparking the start of this riot.

by Anonymousreply 45April 19, 2019 7:14 AM

R43, you're kidding, right? You understand trump has shit all over political allies and won't meet them? You got that the Republicans in the senate will not do their gd jobs? pelosi, for example has had to meet with NATO because as the 3rd highest ranking member of government, she has to pick up the slack and let people know there's a leader in DC.

Fucking moron

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 19, 2019 7:17 AM

r46 Her lunch in London was attended by Jacob Rees-Mogg, who has seen Trump on so many occasions that he is regarded as one of the main UK politicians close to Trump, after Nigel Farage. Fuck you and your totally arrogant ignorance. You have so little idea what you are talking so eagerly about that you should get a job working for riotstarter Pelosi. You'll fit right in.

by Anonymousreply 47April 19, 2019 7:30 AM

Sorry R44, the deceased was Lyra McKee, Naomi O’Leary was tweeting about her,

by Anonymousreply 48April 19, 2019 7:36 AM

[quote]riotstarter Pelosi

Is this some kind of mental illness? I just don't understand this extreme thinking. And not only being in the habit of thinking in extremes, but getting angry when people say - hey, tone it down a notch. I hate to say it to you, R47, but this is not normal.

by Anonymousreply 49April 19, 2019 7:40 AM

Have Bono & Ali hot-footed it back to their NYC San Remo penthouse duplex co-op to or their home in the South of France?

by Anonymousreply 50April 19, 2019 7:48 AM

449, No it is not some "sort of mental illness" it is real anger that one of your politicians, who did not need to come over here on a junket, simply *had* to indulge herself with the unnecessary junket, and then simply *had* to open her gob such that it encouraged the up-to-now quiet Real IRA to flex their muscles.

No one wanted her here, she came anyway, arrogantly and ignorantly insulted her way around the place right, left and centre, and then by sticking her nose into the backstop controversy and thereby signalling encouragement for the Real IRA, encouraged those assholes into a show of force, killing a young woman and doing millions in damage. She and anyone who thinks what she did here is "fine" can fuck right off.

by Anonymousreply 51April 19, 2019 7:56 AM

And whites say we're the only ones who riot...

by Anonymousreply 52April 19, 2019 8:04 AM

Europeans are supposed to be better than this, fucking irish knuckle draggers.

by Anonymousreply 53April 19, 2019 8:13 AM

And what did she say to encourage the I.R.A.?

Nice try, troll. You backed Brexit and this is just the beginning of the shit show you brought upon the world.

But sure, don't take responsiblity for your actions. Blame the nearest vagina.

by Anonymousreply 54April 19, 2019 8:19 AM

The Real IRA have been flexing their muscles before Pelosi's visit. We've had letter bombs and car bombs in the last year or so. We still have trouble around the Marching Season. Not everything is centred around America and Americans you know.

But these tensions have never gone away, they're only buried. After all the Troubles are in easy living memories - those involved are still alive. That is why it is so irresponsible for Brexiters to dismiss the Good Friday Agreement and issues around the Hard Border. This isn't a game. Brexit, especially No Deal Brexit, will shaft Ireland. Will dissident Republicans (north and south) use this as further evidence that once again England has sold out Ireland for her own interests, lend fuel to the need for a united and separate Ireland? Will Republican terrorism return to the streets and of course, if so, I'm sure we'll see the loyalist terrorist groups respond. Ulster loyalism is still alive and kicking. and members of the UVF etc are still out there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 19, 2019 8:19 AM

R51, Pelosi went to Ireland to talk about trade and Brexit BECAUSE the US and the UK have trade issues to discuss.

Trump won't get off his ass, McConnell won't get off his ass.

Someone had to discuss the US position in light of Brexit Her position Support of the Good Friday peace agreement and support of Irish interests in the face of Brexit.

Theses are positions of the US government, not pelosis personal opinions.

Maybe if you didn't listen to Russian propaganda and half wits here didn't listen to Russian propaganda, the visit would not have been needed.

by Anonymousreply 56April 19, 2019 8:21 AM

r56 Pelosi should have written a sternly-worded letter, or made a phone call.

by Anonymousreply 57April 19, 2019 10:38 AM

They must be getting extra beets and Krokodil as new incentives because their efforts have quadrupled in the past, r56. Every newspaper article on FB, the first ten answers are trolls. Now on DL they’re posting their propaganda network video clips.

My favorite is when they accuse people of pedophilia, paranoids schizophrenia or general mental illness. The most asshole, insane country in the world that got robbed blind by its own leaders, and somehow they think they’ll win this battle. Fuck off commies. Sorry for sidebar, but they really are wet-brained assholes.

Back to topic: why is there a news ban on this story?

by Anonymousreply 58April 19, 2019 10:45 AM

There is no news blackout. There is a story in the NYT about this. It's just being overshadowed in the US by the Mueller Report.

by Anonymousreply 59April 19, 2019 11:05 AM

[quote]Why is someone linking to RT? It’s Russian state television.

I noticed some of the first tweets with video were Russian accounts, too.

There doesn't seem to be a news ban, as I'm seeing dozens of articles on NYT, Guardian, BBC, Irish Times, Independent, etc. So no one needs to be linking to Russia because no one else is reporting it; they all are.

by Anonymousreply 60April 19, 2019 11:08 AM

Reading this perspective is like being transported back in time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 19, 2019 11:10 AM

More articles this morning. Besides the piece in the NYT, mentioned above, the UK press has picked it up, along with other outlets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 19, 2019 11:11 AM

This is very disturbing

by Anonymousreply 63April 19, 2019 11:19 AM

First, that's Northern Ireland, not Ireland thank you very much.

It's called Derry, not Londonderry.

And this is just the beginning of what is in store due to Brexit and the profoundly ignorant grammar school, boys who crave it.

If you want to shoot someone, shoot those guys. Job well done I'd say.

BTW Britain subsidises this shithole section of the kingdom to the tune of £11 billion/year.

by Anonymousreply 64April 19, 2019 11:25 AM

Children were not the ones who voted, R64, and it was a female journalist who was shot and killed.

by Anonymousreply 65April 19, 2019 11:27 AM

It's the full moon.

by Anonymousreply 66April 19, 2019 11:29 AM

R65 What are you talking about? R64 here

Best solution is to dig a trench round the Irish border from Donegal to Louth, make a new island and let them fight to the death.

by Anonymousreply 67April 19, 2019 11:31 AM

Historical context

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68April 19, 2019 11:32 AM

When I visited Belfast, I finally understood why my great grandparents got on a boat and got the fuck out of there as soon as they were able to. They never went back, not even to visit. After my second day in Belfast, I thought "every day my great grandparents woke up in America for the rest of their lives, they must've thanked God that they never had to see Belfast ever again."

by Anonymousreply 69April 19, 2019 11:44 AM

Tut, tut R64, are you trying to generate another riot? The island of Ireland comprises Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, the latter known as Ireland. The official name for Derry is Londonderry, the former favoured by nationalists and the latter by unionists.

by Anonymousreply 70April 19, 2019 1:16 PM

R69 what was so bad about it? Just Belfast, or the whole country?

by Anonymousreply 71April 19, 2019 2:58 PM

Northern ireland is not Ireland, it is the UK.

by Anonymousreply 72April 19, 2019 3:05 PM

R64 Actually it is called both depending on which side you support. R69 I was in Belfast few years ago, something I thought was impossible few decades ago. I think it was beautiful city. The road from Dublin to Belfast went through very beautiful rural areas. No wonder it is called green island.

by Anonymousreply 73April 19, 2019 3:13 PM

The Irish Republic doesn't want Ulster at this point. Too much trouble to govern and would be a drain on its resources and economy.

by Anonymousreply 74April 19, 2019 3:23 PM

Damn the gays here are hangry, I wonder if they're throwing a hissy fit in real life as well. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 75April 19, 2019 3:43 PM

Just another day in any muslim or African country.

by Anonymousreply 76April 19, 2019 9:59 PM

R69 I agree. I've never been to Ireland but there has to be a very good reason why my ancestors climbed aboard a rat infested ship to GTFO.

by Anonymousreply 77April 19, 2019 10:01 PM

The dissidents have been agitating for the last couple of years. There was a bomb in Derry in January. There is always unrest at this time of year anyway and with the raids and heightened tension over the possibility of a hard border then things have been worse than usual. Rioting like this is quite common still in NI; if the shooting hadn’t happened then no one but people in NI would have known about it. Nothing to do with visits from American politicians.

by Anonymousreply 78April 19, 2019 10:26 PM

For God's sake, why can't these people just get over it? They're seriously still fighting and hating each other about whether to be in one civilized Western country or another that's almost exactly like it culturally, except a lot bigger (or smaller, depending on your POV)? I'm not just talking about the Troubles redux, I'm talking about the Troubles themselves and all the rest of this us-vs.-them crap. If you want to live in Ireland, move there.

Or, let the UK give Ulster to IRE (which probably doesn't want it, as someone else said). Let the Protestants who aren't happy living in the Republic move to England.

Continuing to fight about these grievances from the past that ARE NO LONGER RELEVANT is ridiculous. And, I agree with other posters, it's why I'm glad my ancestors got on boats and left grudge-bearing, unforgiving, never-forgetting Europe.

by Anonymousreply 79April 19, 2019 10:51 PM

That reason was Britain, R77, and their horrible rule over that unfortunate land. Everyone looks at those green fields and fails to realize they were covered with mature forests before they ripped them down and ruined the place. Glad my ancestors fled that land left to papist and brit rapists and pillagers.

And just when it looked like things might get better, along come fucks like Boris the Johnson. It never ends.

by Anonymousreply 80April 19, 2019 11:03 PM

Like I tried to tell y'all at R40.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 21, 2019 10:27 PM

F klopp lb. To ou

by Anonymousreply 82April 21, 2019 10:29 PM

Are the Derry Girls implicated?

by Anonymousreply 83April 21, 2019 10:31 PM

We get the gist. They ran out of spuds; everyone was raging.

by Anonymousreply 84April 21, 2019 10:48 PM

The Bonespur Cadet sends his thoughts and prayers on the city burning to the ground and the 164 million people killed.

by Anonymousreply 85April 21, 2019 10:49 PM

R73 Even AOC wouldn't call it "green island."

Emerald Isle, for Chrissakes.

by Anonymousreply 86April 21, 2019 10:57 PM

Sad something ugly happened in such a pretty place. Loved my vacation I took one time to the Old Soil.

by Anonymousreply 87April 21, 2019 11:12 PM

Listen to Amazing Polly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88April 21, 2019 11:24 PM

Aw fuck, they didn’t run out of potatoes again did they?

by Anonymousreply 89April 22, 2019 12:14 AM

Can you get good deals on Waterford crystal?

by Anonymousreply 90April 22, 2019 12:35 AM

R88, that's fucking nuts. Get out of here with that shit, even if you're just fucking around.

That woman is certifiably crazy. "It seems to me....." should be your cue, if not before when she calls them 'swamp creatures'

One look at that face tells me who originated out of the swamp.

by Anonymousreply 91April 22, 2019 12:44 AM

Omg, they killed Ronnie Corbett

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 24, 2019 12:10 AM

[quote] And, I agree with other posters, it's why I'm glad my ancestors got on boats and left grudge-bearing, unforgiving, never-forgetting Europe.

Irish-Americans were pretty good about carrying on said grudges in the New World.

by Anonymousreply 93April 24, 2019 12:13 AM

It was still the US, r93. Ireland was such a shitbox back then.

by Anonymousreply 94April 24, 2019 12:16 AM

The Irish have always been trash.

by Anonymousreply 95April 24, 2019 12:20 AM

so many trolls in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 96April 24, 2019 12:36 AM

They’re leprechauns, r96.

by Anonymousreply 97April 24, 2019 1:02 AM

Apparently Lyra was planning to propose to her girlfriend in May. Sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 24, 2019 3:39 PM

^ RIP Lyra

by Anonymousreply 99April 24, 2019 3:46 PM

The Irish expelled the priest and replaced him with the usurer and the ambulance-chaser.

by Anonymousreply 100April 24, 2019 4:06 PM

But, but, but... they’re white! (And, someone [bold]please[/bold] shit in my mouth!)

by Anonymousreply 101April 28, 2019 6:24 AM

R52, Europe considers the Irish as the N words of the white race.

by Anonymousreply 102April 28, 2019 3:57 PM

If the English weren't in charge of Northern Ireland, it would be a third world country in a year. Those stupid, pigheaded micks are completely unable to govern themselves.

by Anonymousreply 103April 28, 2019 4:00 PM

They are mentally inferior

by Anonymousreply 104April 28, 2019 4:17 PM

[quote] If the English weren't in charge of Northern Ireland, it would be a third world country in a year

The way the Republic of Ireland is a third world country, right?

by Anonymousreply 105April 28, 2019 4:22 PM

Different country r105. It's the Northern Irish who are the stupid pigheaded micks.

by Anonymousreply 106April 28, 2019 4:23 PM

Did they run out of whiskey or something?

by Anonymousreply 107April 28, 2019 4:59 PM

[quote] It's the Northern Irish who are the stupid pigheaded micks

Except half of them are Scotsmen

by Anonymousreply 108April 28, 2019 5:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!