Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why didn’t Madonna ever get nominated for a Best Movie Song Oscar?

She wrote a number of great movie songs— This used to be my playground, Live to Tell, Get into the Groove, etc.

Not even a nomination!

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2019 2:43 AM

The Academy doesn't like her because of her years of throwing sex in people's faces. Remember, it is a socially conservative group (though it has gotten more relaxed in recent years thanks to younger and more diverse members being invited).

Janet got nominated, though!

by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2019 11:04 PM

I remember an especially tremulous and offkey performance from Madonna at the Oscars when she was in that Dick Tracy movie. Wasn't she nominated for that song?

It was when I first realized she was a terrible singer and that without autotune she was nothing.

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2019 11:06 PM

Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2019 11:08 PM

I agree about Into The Groove. It really captured the spirit of Desperately Seeking Susan.

by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2019 11:08 PM

It might not have been written FOR the movie, which is supposed to disqualify it. Though it didn't stop Stevie Wonder from winning his. Remember Bette's great explanation when she gave out Best Song one year (wonderfully): "Not something you've had hiding in the piano bench, dig?"

by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2019 11:16 PM

(I ask the same question about Lana del Rey, though. The two "Big Eyes" songs, the great one from "Gatsby"... they really don't wan to nominate her, apparently).

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2019 11:18 PM

Do you thinks she actually writes her songs or just gets a ego credit?

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2019 11:22 PM

Because she’s a cunt who can’t act and that carried over to the music branch which nominates.

by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2019 11:27 PM

R2 the song Sooner or Later won but Sondheim wrote it.

by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2019 11:29 PM

Disney’s absolute domination of the category in the early nineties definitely hurt her, given that this was the era when she probably could have had the best chance to get a nomination.

She probably got closest for A League of Their Own, but that had not only a Disney juggernaut (Aladdin), but also The Bodyguard, which was a phenomenon that was fresher in voters’ minds.

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2019 11:29 PM

R7, So many ppl who've worked with her have been complimentary on her songwriting skills, yet people continue to perpetuate the myth that she just tweaks a few words then slaps her name on it.

by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2019 11:30 PM

You're nuts R2. That Oscar performance was very well received and one of the most talked about events of the night. If you read her brother's tell-all book, he says that she rehearsed that number everyday for a solid month and worked with two different vocal coaches. She nailed it but was clearly nervous. You can see her hand shaking when she holds it up to her mouth to bite her finger at the beginning of the song. I love it! It's totally classic Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2019 11:43 PM

The Academy clearly hated her. She deserved at least nominations, which she didn’t even get one of.

When she sang the Sondheim song, the Academy still hated her but their worship of Sondheim won the moment

by Anonymousreply 13April 18, 2019 11:52 PM

"You're nuts [R2]. That Oscar performance was very well received"

Um, no.

" and one of the most talked about events of the night. "

It certainly was.

"If you read her brother's tell-all book, he says that she rehearsed that number everyday for a solid month and worked with two different vocal coaches. "

All to no avail, apparently.

"She nailed it but was clearly nervous. "

Are you referring to coffin nails?

"You can see her hand shaking when she holds it up to her mouth to bite her finger at the beginning of the song. I love it! It's totally classic Madonna."

Sure, hon, whatever helps you sleep at night.

by Anonymousreply 14April 18, 2019 11:54 PM

They didn't nominate her later for "Masterpiece" (and she'd won the Globe) so, yeah, odd dislike for her. Even after she stopped the show with performances twice.

by Anonymousreply 15April 18, 2019 11:54 PM

(But remember the Music branch of the Academy has always been a bit of a mess. No nods for "Staying Alive" or "Night Fever" which WERE the movie personified. A nom for some guy who took Lana's spot and then was removed when it found out he had hustled members for his nomination. No "Hairspray" title song in a year when only 3 nominees. And Stevie admitted he had written that song a long time ago and they didn't (couldn't?) take the Oscar away from him, guess it would look too cruel - terrible song too.)

by Anonymousreply 16April 18, 2019 11:57 PM

Live To Tell should’ve been nominated. Beautiful song. And this was before Madonna became as polarizing as she was in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 17April 18, 2019 11:57 PM

My favorite Madonna song of all time but, again, maybe not written directly for the film. Might've been sitting around for her next album.

by Anonymousreply 18April 18, 2019 11:58 PM

"I'll Remember" from "With Honors."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 18, 2019 11:58 PM

Wasn’t anything from Elvita nominated?

by Anonymousreply 20April 18, 2019 11:59 PM

R16 true. I Just Called To Say I Love You is a horrible song. I always felt Wonder won because of his prolific 60s 70s output and the fact he was blind.

by Anonymousreply 21April 18, 2019 11:59 PM

R20 You Must Love Me won best original song

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2019 12:00 AM

r2, Auto-Tune wasn't invented until 1996, and not widely used until the 00s.

by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2019 12:07 AM

And it won thanks to the controversy over Phil Collins not being allowed to sing "Against All Odds", a much better song, R21.

by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2019 12:15 AM

"I'll Remember" is such a great song. Givin me 90s vibes. Madonna never met a lowered seventh scale degree she didn't like!

ALW was so funny the night he won for Evita -- the English Patient was sweeping everything and when he won, he quipped, "All I can say is, I'm glad there's no song in The English Patient!" The place roared. I like ALW, he seems very witty.

by Anonymousreply 25April 19, 2019 2:07 AM

oops, wrong field. Apologies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 19, 2019 2:09 AM

" Auto-Tune wasn't invented until 1996, and not widely used until the 00s."

Well, you are correct. Yet prior to that they were still able to tinker with voices on recordings. Madonna's first album sped her singing voice up to give it a higher pitch than Madonna possessed. A variety of other tricks were used by sound engineers to help the singing challenged with their careers.

Lip synching was th norm whenever a band or performer appeared on television.

Madonna is a poor singer. As is Britney Spears and let's face it, if Duran Duran didn't have the pretty boys for MTV they never would have made a success as performers.

Remember how ugly some of the singers were in 60s and 70s bands? Video did indeed kill the radio star.

by Anonymousreply 27April 24, 2019 2:33 AM

[quote]Madonna is a poor singer.

She's a poor actress, a mediocre singer, and a pretty good dancer, but for a long time, was able to synthesize that into a very entertaining package.

And I agree "I'll Remember" is a great song.

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2019 2:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!